PDA

View Full Version : My day in ICU. (Long)

Plaidman
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Wow. Not quite sure how to word these. Mostly because it such a blank state.

First off: This does have some drug abuse in it. I'm well aware of the stupidity of it, and am not in anyway endursing it or condoning it.

So I'll start from the begining. I have sleeping disorder. I cannot for the life of me go to sleep. I'm on Ambien. I ran out. Doctor wouldn't redo it for some reason. So I stuck to using Unisom.

On Tuesday morning I took some unisom. Couldn't sleep. Did stupid thing. Took more unisom. Still couldn't sleep. Did stupider thing. Took MORE unisom. Finally I felt the drug finally coming into effect hours after I taken the first pill.

Now I've taken some high dosage of it before. Sometimes alot. Mostly because I'm desperate to get any amount of sleep in me. That day I'm not sure how much I took. I do briefly recall waking up and puking, then falling back to sleep.

This is where it gets really confusing. I vaguly remember pain in my stomach, and my mom screaming at me. Then I woke up somewhere different, I saw my mom, sister, best friend, and other people. I remember having sharp pain in my hand, and me ripping out what I swore was a knife in my hand. I also recall feeling like acid was being dripped into my nether regions. THen more sleep. I woke up again, vaguly aware. Some talking. More stuff on me. I couldn't get it off of me, as I couldn't move my hands. There was some strange person near me, who was talking sternly to me. I then had a flashback of same guy talkly Kindly, but FIRMLY to stop pulling stuff out of me. I went back to sleep. I came too. My family was there. My friend was there. I was aware. Apparently it was THURSDAY NIGHT. I lost two days. They even had a backboard written in huge letters the date, my name (including my nickname, and my family). They told me what day it was. What happened in the past few days. I was still restrained, but it was loosened somewhat. I wasn't FULLY aware, as I was pulling of the sensers off my fingers. They also put more fluid on. They also let me have a plastic tube to pee if I wanted too. Apperntly I haven't gone the otherway, and they hope I would for them.

I finally got out Saturday. My mom refused to let me sleep alone, and made me sleep in the living room. (We have a strange house. Her bedroom is the entire second story, and it overloooks the living room/kitchen).

My prescription was granted for ambien, though I've only touched it, a little while ago, because I haven't slept really since I was released.

However, my family being my family, naturally have pictures of me drugged out with a HUGE chickenbutt in my hair on their cell phones. They also told ne a story about how the first doctor pissed them all off.

Apperently the first doctor took a look at my symptons and wrote me off as a PCP overdose. Now, seeing as you all only know me from the internet, that's not saying much. But if you knew me, that was the equivlent of saying that earth is flat to my family. I don't do the /recreational/ drugs. Weed, PCP, Acid, Herion, Crank, etc. I hate them. I think its a terrible thing they do to peoples mind. My family knows these. I flat out don't DO them. My family tried to plead with them that it wasn't that. (Hey, family wants to make sure I get the right treatment. Go fig). The doctor ROLLED his eyes at my family, and flat out said "I don't have time to research, it looks like a PCP overdose from what tests we've took. However, my family, though not highly religious, was very thankful when while pleading to doctor that it could be that unisom, a passing doctor said that apperently unisom have simiular results as PCP. She also took me over. I never got to meet her, but she did bring be back, so I want to thank her when I can. However, during that brief time, they did wonder, that I might have slipped into father ways. My friend called my coworker, who is a known drug lover, to see if I did wanna try anything. In which case my coworker snorted and said I'd be the last person he'd see me buy from him, and even then he refused based on our friendship and how anti-drug I am.

In general, it was a very scary while. I hate having memory blanks, and I can see flashes and bits of what happeneed, but in general, I lost three days of my life. I'm also out of work for a time being. I thankfully have a job, but still, there is only 4 people working at our store. My manager, who is the only one with access to work mornings, a girl who is working part time due to school, and another who doesn't like working. Thankfully the redhead has agreed to step in my shoes, and my boss has got her brother working there too. (he is a manager of another store, so he knows the ends and outs).

I have a few scars, some grey crap I can't get off my arms and stomach, memory lapses. And a higher dose of respect for my body. Apperently in the end, I had nearly 32 pills. Now yes, stupid stupid, so lets not get into the how I did that without realziing it, but just that I did.

In anycase, I'm back now. And next week I go back to work, so I'll have some new stories then.

CaroPhoenix
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
:hug:

Please Plaidman! Don't do that again! I felt some new gray hairs springing up in my hair while reading this. ;)

I'm not going to lecture you on doing anything stupid. You seem to realize you did something stupid and someone who only knows you from here has no right to berate you.

Just take care of yourself, okay? That's all I ask. Don't go too hard on your family, they care and worry over you too.

IDR

RayvenQ
03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I know what you mean about the memory blanks, I got hit in the face and lost 3 days of memory, it's odd becuase I can't remember those 3 days but I can remember remembering about those 3 days, even to this day I can't remember any of it and it's like 7 years ago that it happened.

symposes
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Im glad to hear you are okay Plaid.

LemonZest
03-19-2008, 12:10 AM
The 'gray gunk' is stickum from EKG pads and the like and will come off if you use some baby oil on a cotton ball or pad. My Dad came home from the hospital with it all over him (three weeks and five days for open heart surgery) and I finally asked the RN at the surgeons' office how to get that off as it was driving him nuts!

Take care of yourself Plaidman!

LZ

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Yikes! People die from taking too many sleeping pills!

Glad to hear you're okay, but don't ever do that again. I don't think you will anyhow. I would think a person who downed 32 sleeping pills would never wake up.

Plaidman
03-19-2008, 01:53 AM
The 'gray gunk' is stickum from EKG pads and the like and will come off if you use some baby oil on a cotton ball or pad.
LZ

I've been managing to peel most of them off, but I'm going to use that to get the rest off.

As for the others, thank you, and I'll take care of myself :)

Irving: I'm not bragging, but I've always had a insanely high immune system, but I'm damn sure it was the doctors and nurses that managed to save me.

jayel
03-19-2008, 02:40 AM
This is more or less how Heath Ledger died.

Be careful from now on. :hug:

XCashier
03-19-2008, 04:33 AM
:cry: That was scary! Please don't do that again. Overdoses occur with frightening ease, and that one could've been fatal. :hug:

ditchdj
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm a night person and I need sleeping aids a lot of the time. If I dont I usually wind up with only 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I can't function right on that amount. A lot of the time I use the OTC pills. They have helped and I've gotten the full 8 hours and I'm fine. Sometimes they dont. One time I took three of those instead of two and I slept really long and hard but ended up with a groggy, headache-ridden hangover that lasted throw the next afternoon. My sister-in-law takes Ambien and I took some since my doctor wouldn't fill out a prescription for me. :mad: Those really kicked ass but I ended up with a dopey hangover the next day too. This sucks.

crazylegs
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Plaidman,

I'm glad you're ok, I really am. I'm also very glad you've taken something away from this.

Take care

ditchdj
03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I know from experience that it's a real pain-in-the-ass to make your body adapt to a sleep schedule it's not inclined to follow. It really sucks.