PDA

View Full Version : Fun with gas prices...

VenomX
04-24-2008, 03:46 AM
I got tired of customers complainign about the price of gas so I decided to have some fun.

Our gas is now at $3.589 a gallon.

Customer: Can you believe the price of gas?
Me: Yeah its getting up there.
Customer: Its that damn Bush! blah blah blah...
Me: I hope it keeps going higher.
Customer: WHAT!? Are you nuts?
Me: Nope, people are still driving all over town just to be out driving around. Its not high enough to make them change their ways. Maybe when it hits $4.50 they will change.

I am not kidding you when I say we have people that come in over and over again all day and night getting $5 or less each time. Sunday night I worked 9pm to 7am and this one guy came in 15 to 20 times getting $3 each time. It started pissing me off. I wish we had a button...
Ok, its 6am, this guy is going to work so he gets gas for $2 a gallon. Ok, its 2am, this guy is just driving around town doing who knows what all night, and was just in here 30 minutes ago, he pays $7 a gallon.

edible_hat
04-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Customer: Can you believe the price of gas?
Me: Yeah its getting up there.
Customer: Its that damn Bush! blah blah blah...
Me: I hope it keeps going higher.
Customer: WHAT!? Are you nuts?
Me: Nope, people are still driving all over town just to be out driving around. Its not high enough to make them change their ways. Maybe when it hits $4.50 they will change.

I'll have to try that next time someone whinges at me about our prices. We're over AU$1.50 a liter right now (somewhere around US$6-$7 a gallon, I can't be bothered doing the exact conversion right now).

We're getting a lot more IOUs. To the point where serail offenders go "I left my money at home, what I usually do is leave my mp3 player as security". There's not a lot we can do since they've already put the fuel in their car.

So we're thinking of making a list of repeat offender's number plates and forcing them to pre-pay.

Boochan
04-24-2008, 05:34 AM
I'll have to try that next time someone whinges at me about our prices. We're over AU$1.50 a liter right now (somewhere around US$6-$7 a gallon, I can't be bothered doing the exact conversion right now).
Not that high actually (Due to the fact we are almost at the same value as the USD), Roughly about US$5.40 a gallon), and we are apprently still the 4th Cheapest Western Country to purchase fuel at, with the UK Paying close to $9-10 a Gallon.
It doesn't help the situation when the media is all over it, and the government has done Sweet F.A to help the situation (Fuelwatch won't do anything, unless you count 1 or 2c difference between Perth and the Eastern States a big difference). Wouldn't really want to be a Gas Station Cashier at the moment, purely because I'd have to listen to the same old shit every couple of customers.

Not that theirs that much time to chat, but if people are really whingeing then you have to remind them of how tough the rural areas and farmers are doing it, paying A LOT more then city drivers, and having to fill their farming equipment with expensive Diesel ($1.70/L here in Perth at the moment). Of course, it won't get through to enough people, as if the US Dollar wasn't as weak as it is at the moment we'd be paying $2/L, if not more..

edible_hat
04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Fuelwatch won't do anything, unless you count 1 or 2c difference between Perth and the Eastern States a big difference

According to one guy on the news, Fuelwatch has ended the discount cycle in Perth. So the highs may be slightly lower than elsewhere, but the lows are a lot higher.

if people are really whingeing then you have to remind them of how tough the rural areas and farmers are doing it, paying A LOT more then city drivers, and having to fill their farming equipment with expensive Diesel ($1.70/L here in Perth at the moment). Of course, it won't get through to enough people, as if the US Dollar wasn't as weak as it is at the moment we'd be paying $2/L, if not more..

True that. Last week I had a customer thrilled at paying $1.47 a liter. He said he hasn't seen it that low for months, since he's from Roxby Downs where it's $1.70-$1.80 for unleaded.

In Adelaide, unleaded hit $1.55 this week and diesel's been in the $1.60-$1.65 range for about a month.

Slytovhand
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
And I heard on the news yesterday they're expecting it to go up again as the price of oil has gone up.

"Why's the price of petrol so high?'
"Because I saw you coming :D"

"When's the price going to come down again?"
"Straight after you leave".

Of course - that's probably best only with the regular customers...

Then again...
"How come petrol is so expensive?"
"Because you're prepared to pay it".

Slyt

XXDarrienX
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Its more the idiots that have cash to burn in the hummers and other vehicles like that that are not hurting for the gas unless it gets to some absurd level.

Bright_Star
04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
People complain about the rising cost of gas but they haven't done anything to alter their driving habits. Gas could be $10.00 a gallon & people will STILL be driving the same way. Old habits die hard.

digilight
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Its nutty, around here its hit at 3.73 a gallon (the lowest price) to 3.99 a gallon (the highest price) and these are both for regular unleaded. I've drastically changed my driving habbits, nail the cruise control on the freeway at 65. Hell I drive the grandpa car, might as well drive like grandpa too.

greensinestro
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM

You know what? That is absolutely true. I fill up my SUV once a week, and by Friday, I put in another $10 to get home, and maybe have enough to run a couple of errands on the weekends. It's a little sad, being my family and I don't go out much on the weekends anymore, due to the price of gas. We have the neighborhood pool, and/or can find things to do around the house. Sometimes we make short trips to the movies or the mall, but that's about it. No more driving miles out of my way to the beach, to the flea market, or just going out for a family drive. Too bad others can't do this, or we can maybe have more affordable gas prices.

blas
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm not going to have a car for several more days. I filled up on Tuesday, it shit the bit on Wednesday. So I guess if I can find ONE positive thing about these horrible past few days........I got gas BEFORE it went over $3.53 a gallon and I will still have a practically full tank when my car is operational again.

I love having a 10 gallon gas tank smaller car. More single or coupled people should drive small vehicles. It's very practical.

Andara Bledin
04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Its nutty, around here its hit at 3.73 a gallon (the lowest price) to 3.99 a gallon (the highest price) and these are both for regular unleaded. I've drastically changed my driving habbits, nail the cruise control on the freeway at 65. Hell I drive the grandpa car, might as well drive like grandpa too.

Depending on the car, 65 might not be the best speed, although it is the limit in a lot of places.

My ex's car got it's best mileage at 72 mph. It had one of those digital odometers that you could change over to check mileage. It was fun to see how high you could make it go on one particular downhill near the place we were living while in neutral. :D

But we've never driven much to begin with. And for some things, instead of driving, we can take the bus for a day out. Although we're actually close enough to the local mall to walk. We've done that before when the last scheduled bus decided it wasn't going to make it's last return because it was running late. Gah, I hate that line.

^-.-^

jerkface11
04-25-2008, 07:25 PM
It can be fun to try and explain how OPEC production controls, limited refining capacity, environmental regulations, and inflation all conspire to raise the price of gas. It's always futile though usually ending with the whiner saying that the government should do SOMETHING! Maybe make the oil companies sell below cost? Oh no that's illegal. Maybe make the oil companies build more refineries? Oh wait they won't let them. Ooh we could use our own oil. Whoops congress won't let us drill for it.
I didn't intend that to sound like the government wants gas to cost a lot. However now that I put it all in writing it looks that way.

edible_hat
04-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I love having a 10 gallon gas tank smaller car. More single or coupled people should drive small vehicles. It's very practical.

My co-workers are always amazed at the relatively small amounts I use. Last fill was just under $30, that got me to and from work for 6 days as well as to and from the shops and various other driving-related tasks.

Slytovhand
04-26-2008, 01:03 AM
It can be fun to try and explain how OPEC production controls, limited refining capacity, environmental regulations, and inflation all conspire to raise the price of gas. It's always futile though usually ending with the whiner saying that the government should do SOMETHING! Maybe make the oil companies sell below cost? Oh no that's illegal. Maybe make the oil companies build more refineries? Oh wait they won't let them. Ooh we could use our own oil. Whoops congress won't let us drill for it.
I didn't intend that to sound like the government wants gas to cost a lot. However now that I put it all in writing it looks that way.

Oh come on now!!! You know you can't have an intelligent debate or discussion with SC's!

My 'cars' co-worker refuses to do anything about his 8 cylinder gas guzzler, even though it means not showing up to work because he can't afford the petrol to get there.

And don't even try to have a decent discussion about non-fossil fuel cars... "they don't have the same power, so I'm not trading in my 300 HP for anything less!!!". It's the old 'we aren't as bad as others, so we shouldn't have to change anything - they should' argument... which fails every time!

Slyt

blas
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
You might want to tell your little friend that V8's are hard to work on. Actually, the easiest cars to work on are 4 cylinders, like my car. So even though he wants major power, he's not only paying out the wazoo with gas, but with repairs......gaaah!

smileyeagle1021
04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
well, after seeing the gas price maps... I can stick out my tongue and say I'm in what is still one of the cheapest states... then I can cry when I realize that even in the cheapest state we'll break $3.50 by memorial day... if we're lucky it will take that long... probably less time than that though. So if I want to travel (which I know I have to go to cali in august) i'm going to have to shell out even more.
oh and even my my little nissan getting over 30mpg I have a hard time affording it... for looking for new jobs I'm seriously ruling out anything that wouldn't have the option of riding the bus because I'm not sure how much longer I can afford to drive to and from work. (which is another reason I'm looking for places other than where I am now, because it is over a mile to the nearest bus stop from where I work right now so that isn't a very practical option... especially considering the route that serves that stop stops running before I get off work, next closest is 2 miles away).

DesignFox
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't even want to think about gas prices right now...I'm already depressed about it. And I live in the cheapest gas state... :cry: We're up to $3.45 a gallon for regular as of today. :cry:

I have no choice...I have to drive...

Of course, I would never complain to the station attendant. What the fuck are they supposed to do about it? Don't shoot the messenger. :respect:

Evil Queen
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
On my way into work today, the cheapest place in town is running 3.41 USD a gallon. That's it, I'm spending the tax return money on a moped/motorcycle. This is getting ridiculous.

My co-workers are always amazed at the relatively small amounts I use. Last fill was just under $30, that got me to and from work for 6 days as well as to and from the shops and various other driving-related tasks.

My car is small too. Last time I filled up it was just over $35 (10 gallon tank, I get maybe 260 miles a tank in city. Not as good as it is on highway at 315 miles a tank). But I'm still thinking of getting something two wheeled and motorized (too far away from work to bike).

Andara Bledin
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Whoops congress won't let us drill for it.

We likely don't have to drill for it. We've actually got quite a bit, already.

^-.-^

Evil Queen
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
:eek: Wholy Cow! Mae, maybe you should talk to your boss about getting a gas account??

DGoddessChardonnay
04-27-2008, 12:56 AM

We have a small vehicle that we use every day (the 1992 Toyota Corolla) and it wasn't that long ago that $15.00 was plenty to fill it up.

Two weeks ago, I got paid (every other Wednesday) and we had to do a fill up, as the tank was sitting on E. It was $26.01.

Mom put in another $15.00 last Saturday to hold until after I got paid again.

We filled it up again just this past Thursday and the total cost was $37.50.

As far as driving goes, we had been just going back and forth to the Kitty - any other stops we normally do on the way home, as long as it's not too far out of the way. If we have to do something on one of my days off, it's usually not a long trip at all (a few minutes there and back, as where we live we're close to most places we go regularly.)

Today, however, we did some traveling today - over 60 miles between driving all over half of town to find yard sales (yes, we found several going on) and a trip to the local farmer's market (way out on the other side of town from us) and add to that taking the scenic route back . . .

We couldn't do that with a Hummer . . .:p

Evil Queen
04-27-2008, 03:42 AM
:eek:

New Job, now! How can you live like that?? And the hours? Can't be that great if you're having to travel an hour one way. I feel for you. I really do.

Seenoevil
04-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Ooh we could use our own oil. Whoops congress won't let us drill for it.

We aren't using our own oil because once it runs out, our army would be dependent on foreign sources of fuel. Something that they definitely don't want to happen.

jerkface11
04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh I forgot about the non fossil fuels. They cost MORE than gasoline and in the case of alcohol take food off someones table too. Gasoline will not be replaced by something you pour into the tank. I don't know what the replacement will be but it won't be a combustible liquid.

Andara Bledin
04-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Oh I forgot about the non fossil fuels. They cost MORE than gasoline and in the case of alcohol take food off someones table too. Gasoline will not be replaced by something you pour into the tank. I don't know what the replacement will be but it won't be a combustible liquid.

Why not? There's lots of things you can make from easily grown plant matter that grows where nothing else will grow that can be used as a combustible liquid. Ford's first car actually ran on hemp oil. Then, of course, there's these guys (http://www.hempcar.org/index.html). The reason we still use gasoline is not due to a lack of alternatives.

^-.-^

blas
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
I propose using methane gas. Considering I know a lot of people who could always keep my tank full for me.

edible_hat
04-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Why not? There's lots of things you can make from easily grown plant matter that grows where nothing else will grow that can be used as a combustible liquid. Ford's first car actually ran on hemp oil. Then, of course, there's these guys (http://www.hempcar.org/index.html). The reason we still use gasoline is not due to a lack of alternatives.

^-.-^

http://www.veggievan.org/ is the best I've seen yet - it runs on recycled cooking oil.

Boochan
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.veggievan.org/ is the best I've seen yet - it runs on recycled cooking oil.
One of the Western Australian based Fuel Companies (Gull) over here sells B20, which is 20% Biodiesel/80% Diesel. Does generally save about 10c off the regular diesel price, and works in most cars too. No french fry smells from the exhaust though. :D

Rapscallion
04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
No french fry smells from the exhaust though. :D

They're probably working on that.

Rapscallion

edible_hat
04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
One of the Western Australian based Fuel Companies (Gull) over here sells B20, which is 20% Biodiesel/80% Diesel. Does generally save about 10c off the regular diesel price, and works in most cars too. No french fry smells from the exhaust though. :D

SAFF (South Australian Farmers' Fuel) has a 100% biodiesel and a 20% biounleaded premium blend. My work has a 10% ethanol blend which is quite popular, mostly because it's 2-4 cents per liter cheaper than regular.

One time my fiance and I were driving along and we both smelt fish and chips cooking. Then the car in front of us turned a corner and the smell went away. We think it was on biodiesel.

Andara Bledin
04-30-2008, 01:57 AM
One time my fiance and I were driving along and we both smelt fish and chips cooking. Then the car in front of us turned a corner and the smell went away. We think it was on biodiesel.

Mmm.... I could really enjoy a car that smelled like fish & chips.

... although I think I'd start getting really fat after a few months.... :roll:

^-.-^

jerkface11
04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
The gasoline alternatives generally require more energy to produce than you get out of them. This is why they require heavy government subsidies. The figures I saw which took tractors, farm trucks, and refining equipment into account. Showed that making a gallon of alcohol from corn required at least 1.5 gallons of alcohol to be burned as fuel. Hydrogen is LESS efficeint than alcohol. As for cooking oil one restraunt supplies enough used cooking oil to power one small car.

Broomjockey
04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
The gasoline alternatives generally require more energy to produce than you get out of them.

Sorry, but I have to call this tanget over. It's a Fratching topic, so take it over there. This isn't the debating area.

technical.angel
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I just looked up a gas price map. Looking at it made me really happy about the E10 mandate made here at the beginning of the year.

Kogarashi
05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Right now, we fill up our Jeep once every two weeks, if not less frequently. Yay for not driving around much. We hit the bank (1/2 hour drive) once a month, maybe, and the grocery store once every two weeks. Once the weather's a bit warmer, I'm going to try suggesting walking to church to Hubby. And the University has a bus system that we use during the weekdays when possible, which also keeps us from cluttering up the already cluttered streets. Bonus: the buses (at least half of them) run on biodiesel.

However, we've got a weekend trip coming up to visit my parents, who are three hours away. All I can say to that is yay for highway speeds. We get some of our best mileage during these trips.

...which is another reason I'm looking for places other than where I am now, because it is over a mile to the nearest bus stop from where I work right now so that isn't a very practical option... especially considering the route that serves that stop stops running before I get off work, next closest is 2 miles away).

Smileyeagle, have you considered getting a bike? Or is there not a good place to lock it up while at work? I used to work at a craft store in Provo that was a handful of miles away from my house, and I only ever drove when I was running late in the mornings. They let me park my bike in the back room.

technical.angel
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Smileyeagle, have you considered getting a bike?

SE said the nearest bus stop was a mile away.

I'm from an area that doesn't know what "public transportation" means, but I think getting a bike on a bus would be hard.

Broomjockey
05-06-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm from an area that doesn't know what "public transportation" means, but I think getting a bike on a bus would be hard.

Buses here have bike racks on front, and they're dead easy to use. 45 seconds or so to get it on or off. Or depending, could just ride the bike the whole way. 10 mile ride? Might kinda suck at first (or suck a lot, you know), but probably doable.

edible_hat
05-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I've been trying different things that supposedly improve mileage, and I can confirm these:
-correct tyre pressure
-not using the car for really short trips
-accelarating/braking gently (it also helps with passenger comfort)
-cleaning your car (this won't improve your mileage by enough to cover the cost of washing it)
-not carting around a bunch of crap you never use

tropicsgoddess
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
My co-workers are always amazed at the relatively small amounts I use. Last fill was just under $30,

We've filled on slightly less than $20 worth of gas on my fiance's mom's car (a 2000 Nissan Altima) and lasted a good while since it's all short distance driving for her to go to work or for us to do errands. Besides taking out all the extraneous crap and and all, making sure your car is running in good shape and keeping it that way is another factor in getting better gas mileage too.

Becks
05-06-2008, 03:23 PM
have you considered getting a bike?

Not directed to me, but I'll comment anyway.

I, myself, would consider getting a bike (I live less than five miles from my place of employment) but for two things:

New Jersey drivers :runaway:
I still have scars from the last time I rode a bike. It stopped, I didn't. Got good matching pics of me and Scott Karl that day, though. :D

Kogarashi
05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
SE said the nearest bus stop was a mile away.

I can understand that (my parents' hometown doesn't do public transportation). However, knowing where Smileyeagle is from, I do know for a fact that the UTA buses have bike racks on the front. Hence the suggestion. Thanks for responding with the reminder anyway. :)

Also, crazy as the drivers in Provo were, they were nice enough to me when I biked to work. Don't know about the Salt Lake drivers, though. :shrug:

Our bike is currently sitting in our basement storage for two reasons.

A. We don't trust the punk kids who live in the "bad" part of town just three blocks over. Some friends of ours had their bike stolen from a rack in this very complex soon after they moved in. It and all the other bikes stolen that night were locked up--the bike locks were cut.

B. I currently have no way to transport Baby while riding the bike. We need to look into one of those little kid trailers you can hook up to bikes. Some neighbors have one and their kid loves it.

Becky, I've heard about NJ drivers. Saw a short about them on MST3K. Are they really that bad? ::curious:: And I've had the bike stop while I kept going. Fortunately (or not), it was when I was 8 or so and on a gravel driveway, so rather than pitching headfirst over the handlebars the bike skidded sideways on the driveway and I went down cheek-first in a sort of side-tumble instead. Less injured, but I had a lovely large scrape on my cheek for a good month or two after.

Becks
05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Becky, I've heard about NJ drivers. Saw a short about them on MST3K. Are they really that bad? ::curious::

Oh, they're bad. Worse than IL drivers, not nearly as bad as cab drivers in Manhattan. :lol:

And I've had the bike stop while I kept going. Fortunately (or not), it was when I was 8 or so and on a gravel driveway, so rather than pitching headfirst over the handlebars the bike skidded sideways on the driveway and I went down cheek-first in a sort of side-tumble instead. Less injured, but I had a lovely large scrape on my cheek for a good month or two after.

I was...let me think...18 or so. :o

Scraped up my left hand kinda bad. I still have a scar on it.

Bella_Vixen
05-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Scraped up my left hand kinda bad. I still have a scar on it.

Becks, don't forget to mention the pic with Scott Karl with his right hand all bandaged up. :lol:

Becks
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Mentioned that, big sis. Scroll up.

FuzzyKitten99
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm kind of lucky, in that my husband's construction company, has their own fuel station within the yard. So they buy unleaded and diesel fuel wholesale. No station mark-ups and less government taxes (the government makes more $ per gallon than the oil company does), so the price is usually less than station prices, but not always. My husband can fill up one of our cars, which is about 15-16 gallons, and it usually stays around $35 or so. Problem is, our other car is a V-8 Cadillac that takes premium. Anything less than 91 octane will knock the engine apart, so we have to fill that one up at a regular station. Last fill-up I did was $55 USD for 15 gallons. Granted it is a V-8, but because my husband alternates cars, we can make one tank of gas last two weeks on the Caddy, because I only drive it about 15 miles round trip to drop off my nanny charge, and I may or may not take it to work 1-3 days a week, depending on its' current fuel level.

Kogarashi
05-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, my sister hated having to gas up in Utah. Her car requires 87 octane minimum, which was fine in NY because that was the "regular unleaded" fuel there. But in Utah regular unleaded is only 85 octane, so she had to get the "plus" fuel instead and pay more.

FuzzyKitten99
05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
We bought the car back when prices were about $1.75/gallon. Premium used to only be .10-.12 cents more, which really only amounted to MAYBE $3 more than regular 87 octane. Not much of a pocket hit. Now it is something like .30-.50 cents more, which takes a bit bigger of a hit.

Honestly though, just like all price increases, this is temporary. Prices will come down. Maybe not to the $1/gallon, but lower than now. In 1984, we were producing about 9 million barrels/day. The US decreased production down to 4 million in the last 25 years. We aren't running out of oil. There is plenty to last for a long time. It is the refined, useable part of it that is in lower supply due to the inability to get past government interference to produce it.

symposes
05-08-2008, 09:11 PM
It is the refined, useable part of it that is in lower supply due to the inability to get past government interference to produce it.

Not trying to start a debate, but.

If i remember correctly the first gas shortage in america, back in the 70s was caused in part by over regulation by the government.

As far as I can tell right now, the american government doesnt want to try and force the price down, simply because the companies would cut production to retain profits, more then likely.(it would be fratching territory for me to say, "Because so many of our politicians are profiting like crazy off their OWN oil investment, ala Bush and Chaney both own oil fields in america..." hehe)

Its my understanding that no new refineries have been built in the last 10-15 years, and the current ones arent running anywhere near maximum capacity.

Ofcourse, if they produce more, it will drive the supply up, and most americans will think, there is plenty of gas, and start using more and more, and what limited supplies this planet has will be used up that much faster.

Its also my understanding, that current supply and demand have less effect on the market price then we see, simply because demand has steadily decreased over the last 2 - 3 years.

Its been said, that the biggest reason the price is where it is, is largely due to the Wallstreet speculators that think something bad is looming around the corner, and have driven the price of crude up. (Did I mention there was an Oil execitive that felt it was, and I qoute, "A shame we are charging less then $100 a barrel for oil, it feels like we're just giving it a way". To me that says, they think there is plenty of room to gouge, but I digress.)

Either way, With China and India's infrastructors on the rise, they are consuming more and more resources daily, so that is another big factor in the cost.

I started riding my bike to work again when i saw gas hit 3.60 a gallon here, now its up to 3.80 and thats the cheap stuff, and this is kentucky...O_o

FuzzyKitten99
05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
First thing, your info on oil refineries is wrong. Try 30 years ago. The last refinery ever built in America was in Garysville, Indiana, built in 1976. More than double the # of years you quoted. Don't think Bush & Cheney aren't the only ones with investments in oil... Try most of the US government politicians (see their tax filing info which should be on their individual sites), so don't be so bold as to pick on the usual suspects.

Do you really think that oil companies want the prices up so high that the very people that support their business, stop buying the product or less of it? What happens when people stop buying or reduce buying a product? Sales decline and profits go down. Why on earth would they make it so that most people cannot afford the very product they want to sell to as many people as possible? That doesn't sound like a strategy that would be good for business. Remember, the oil companies are just that-businesses. They are NOT charities. They ARE in business to make a profit. They are not down on the tax roll as "non-profit". Please understand that. This link proves the point that the government makes more profit off of fuel sales than the actual producer: http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.html . Refinery cost and profit is .24c/gallon. Total taxes and fees the state of California gets are .66c per gallon. I couldn't find this info for my state, and other states may/will vary.

And we won't run out of oil. At least not in the timeframe that we are being told, and if we were allowed to drill in our own country with new drilling locations, we could reduce the cost of transport and refining, thus reducing overall cost to the consumer. ANWAR has an estimated 44 billion, not million, billion barrels of crude. It would produce 1-3 million barrels per day. That is equal to our daily imports from Saudi Arabia. Talk about energy independent! That amount is enough to power 60 million cars for 75 years. Technology has vastly changed and drilling is less of an impact to the environment than ever before. ANWAR is an area of 19 million acres and only 1.5 million is needed to drill. Less than 10% of the area. And then there is the argument that it would take 10 years to see any results from ANWAR. Well, that was also said 10 years ago. If it had continued as planned, we probably wouldn't have the issue now. Then there is the Gulf Of Mexico and natural gas. If we were able to drill that, there is enough natural gas there to heat 60 million homes for 60 years. But no, we are told we can't do that because of a particular kind of fish that lives there. However we somehow have to become energy independent. That will never happen with the above kind of thinking.

Back in the 60's & 70's, my grandparents have told me they remember the "experts" that were out there telling people that the oil reserves will be depleted by 1990. Were they? No. There is actually evidence that oil is not made of dinosaur remains as once thought. Which is silly if you think about how long we have been using oil for fuel, and are still continuing to produce more, yet there were a finite number of dinosaurs, and there are no more of them left.

And the government of course is not wanting to do anything because they already have interfered with the independent market. They restrict and regulate so much that it costs far too much to even get started, with the hoops you have to jump through and all the red tape. Then you have the environmentalists and protestors filing lawsuits (how this is legal, I don't know) that cost even more money to anyone trying to do it. Why would anyone want to even attempt to get into the business if they know they are going to hit this crap?

Broomjockey
05-08-2008, 11:53 PM
This went firmly into Fratching territory. Take it over there. I'm closing it now.