PDA

View Full Version : Signature

worddork
05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Okay, most of you have them, and after reading the threads about screen names and avatars, I began to wonder why some signatures were used.
So tell why you chose yours and were it comes from.

I'll start.

My frist one is a quote from my BFF and yes she really said it and yes it was directed to me. And yes I totally agree with her. (I fear for my future children):D

The second is from a T-shirt I saw in a catalog. I really want to buy one because it is soooo me. I have dyslexia and am always mocking my own inability to spell. (A long time ago I learned how to hide that fact, so most people can't tell. Let's just say spell check is my friend.)

PuckishOne
05-19-2008, 01:01 AM
#1 is one of my all-time favorite quotes from a great man who is no longer with us.

#2 is a line from a show I don't watch, but a good friend of mine does and passed it along to me. It fits. :D

#3 is a rotating song lyric - how often it rotates depends on how lazy I am, but it's usually something that's meaningful to me and may or may not be broadly amusing.

BookstoreEscapee
05-19-2008, 01:03 AM
My first one is obviously a quote from Stephen Colbert. Any fans of the show will know that he always opens with funny comments about the 3 major topics planned for the show, with a funny caption on the screen, like a news teaser. Then he says some random funny line, follwed by "This is the Colbert Report"... my quote was the random line from that show.

The second one is from George Carlin's bit on abortion. It's something I agree with, but I figured it's too much of a politically divisive issue to quote most of it on this board; but anyone who is familiar with the bit might recognize the line was in my George Carlin calendar from a few weeks ago. I like dogs. :)

Evil Queen
05-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I quoted Blas. :D

And I am a huge fan of another posters' cosplaying (costuming) techniques. He's very good at it.

tropicsgoddess
05-19-2008, 01:25 AM
This was my favorite quote from the movie Mommie Dearest (Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford). The second one is self-explanatory and that's from one of my favorite shows King of the Hill (Hank Hill). :D

AnqeiicDemise
05-19-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm a rabbid RetroMUD fan and constantly log on for hours and just idle or chit-chat versus going out farming (killing mobs for exp & eq). This particular day, I was idling and I read the post about the woman swearing someone stole her trunk.

So I started simply ranting in the chat channel on how I had zero faith in humanity.

I get a tell (sort of like a pm) from Justsomedude (that is his name) and we have a discussion that lead to such quote. It shut me up for a moment and realized... it fits.

monolayth
05-19-2008, 01:59 AM
The first one was how I described my day to a friend once.

The second was the jewel that fell out of Bunny's soon to be husband when he saw me jump. (referring to my chest bouncing)

Becks
05-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Mine is from a gargoyle bat objet de art I saw online once.

I live it.

I want to get it tattooed in Danish and Irish Gaelic someday.

RetailWorkhorse
05-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Bash.org. Need I say more? :D

Trayol
05-19-2008, 02:26 AM
1. I got this from a reply from Shangri-laschild in a post in General Work Chat. I don't remember which one, but I thought it was amazing and decided to use it.

2. Is a hilarious quote from JuniorMintz in War Stories.

3. Is a quote a got from Christopher Judge from a youtube clip of a convention.

derangedperson
05-19-2008, 02:29 AM
My sig is a quote from a Bad Religion song. I put it there 'cause I'm a fan of the band and because I felt it fit the theme of the board quite nicely.

Broomjockey
05-19-2008, 03:26 AM
*looks at Avatar* *looks at title* I think everyone here's a smart cookie, so I'll leave it at that. :p

Also, I'm the one who gave Puck that one quote... :D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
05-19-2008, 03:43 AM
1st one: A saying I made up about the 2008 Milwaukee Brewers and their useless piece of shit of a closer who they spent mega-bucks on. :rant:

2nd one: A humorous saying I picked up from somewhere. I can't remember where.

Broomjockey
05-19-2008, 03:45 AM
2nd one: A humorous saying I picked up from somewhere. I can't remember where.

Didn't you get it in chat?

lordlundar
05-19-2008, 03:52 AM
3. Is a quote a got from Christopher Judge from a youtube clip of a convention.

What? no cookie for showing it to you?:p

Okay, here we go.

#1 is an extention of my title. I come up with evil stuff to do, I just stop short of doing the really dark ones. All the lighter ones are open season though. :P

#2 is set up to support my MMO guild which is doing little city thing. It's an interesting social experiment and fun to see the effects.

#3 well, I got my A+ certification, which has been a long time in coming, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Jester
05-19-2008, 04:00 AM
My signature is one of the last lines in one of my favorite local musician's songs about waitresses. It fits the board, it fits my life, and it is just a great song about a vastly underappreciated profession.

ThePhoneGoddess
05-19-2008, 04:12 AM
I change mine occasionally. The two I have now are both from a haunting Bob Dylan song called 'Ramona'.

The one I had before was a Spanish proverb which translated to "Life gives you surprises, surprises give you life."

Heksubah
05-19-2008, 04:16 AM
1: A quote from East of Eden that I liked.
2: My deranged blog. >.>

Irving Patrick Freleigh
05-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Didn't you get it in chat?

Come to think of it, I probably did!

It's been a while since I was in chat though.

XCashier
05-19-2008, 04:51 AM
The first one was picked from a list of quotes. I think it fits me particularly well.

The second one is from a post of Kara's that I thought was quite funny.

powerboy
05-19-2008, 05:06 AM
The first one is all about SC's

The second one is just a saying used by myself.

karath
05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I believe mine is rather self-explanatory, particularly on this board :D

I do have to confess that it's a result of my brother and I being exceptionally bored in high school and finding every funny bumper sticker out there...this was one of my favorites. I always remember the list whenever I need a signature for some reason ;)

iradney
05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Hmmm
my first one is self explanatory - I work for money, you want loyalty, get a dog. Pretty much outlining my disillusionment with most big corps that look at the bottom line and the bottom line only, and don't give a s*** about the people that actually MAKE them money.

The second one is a sarcastic poke at myself :)

Lace Neil Singer
05-19-2008, 11:51 AM
At the moment, it's a quote from Heathers that neatly sums up my life in retail. :D

Trayol
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
What? no cookie for showing it to you?

Sorry, I knew I forgot something.

Shangri-laschild
05-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Mine is a quote from the comic Something Positive which only amused me more once I started working at a police department (especially considering whoever did my background packet would have seen that quote on my facebook when I was hired)

Andara Bledin
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, since I'm not a cool kid and ran out of space when I changed my sig, I no longer have the "fine line between hobby and mental illness" quote from Dave Barry.

Instead, I have a quote from RecoveringKinkoid about revenge being in the hands of people also holding frappuccinos.

^-.-^

FuzzyKitten99
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Anyone who doesn't know mine will be kidnapped, handcuffed to the Quick Stop counter, and be forced to be there from open until close. No closing the store to play hockey or go to a funeral.

ArenaBoy
05-20-2008, 09:01 PM
First line is of a Chelsea chant for Joe Cole, vids are in the links.

Second line is the announcer's reaction for a hell of a goal against Arsenal a couple of years ago. Let's just say that my reaction was quite uh, enthusiastic. :D

Meadhands
05-21-2008, 03:45 PM
My quote, "It is a beautiful day to be dizzy!" is actually roughly translated from Spanish. It was a line my slightly senile grandfather uttered during dinner a few weeks ago, and it was so classic, that I had to make it my own.

protege
05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
My quote is something Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus Cars) said about some mechanics...who were apparently attempting to work on some cars that he'd sold, and who were bitching about how his cars were designed.

tropicsgoddess
07-22-2008, 06:44 AM
I changed mine....

The first one is a quote from Groezig and the second one is a quote from Sarlon. The third one is a quote from The Wedding Singer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNKVzVAqUk)where John Lovitz's character surreptitiously watches Adam Sandler's character sing his ranty song (to Drew Barrymore's character about his ex-fiancee standing him up at the altar) and how it's been helping his (John Lovitz) business.

AdminAssistant
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Mine is a line from Mythbusters...I need to pick a new one. I have a LOT of funny Mythbusters quotes.

The other one is one of my favorite quotes from George Carlin. It's from Brain Droppings, I think. And it describes my own financial situation quite well. :rolleyes:

RetailWorkhorse
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Something that popped into my head last night after waking up from a nightmare (Damn you, Gravekeeper, you finally made me need brain bleach!).

Emrld
07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I happen to be very proud of my Wench status.
I was tired of seeing the term "Wench" used in negative light. Instead of getting offeneded and becoming defensive if the term was used in a way that offended me I made my sig line what it is.
This way on the (very rare anymore) occassion I see someone use Wench as a bad thing . . .I find something to add to the thread and put my opinion out there.

MystyGlyttyr
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
The first part is a link to my website, which has all my cool stuff.

The second is a rotating quote from various wrestlers. Right now it's Eddie Guerrero. I'm debating my new one now out of a Team Xtreme trifecta. It's either gonna be:

"Yet another shining example of why I am the most dominant woman this industry has ever seen!" - Lita

or

"Everybody's unique. Everybody has something that sets them apart from everyone else. I just happen to be gifted with something that makes me better." - Matt Hardy

or

"You ever try to shit and not pee? That's kinda hard." - Jeff Hardy

...I'm leaning towards the last one right now, heh...

Trayol
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I changed my third sig line to a quote from Evil Queen as it defines my mind quite well...mostly.

Jpurple
07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
um...yeah. I occasionally have debates with people who are excessively granola, and I have an odd sense of humor. I think I originally found the saying on instantattitudes.com

Monica
07-23-2008, 06:19 AM
My favorite character in Harry Potter is Snape. This is one of the funniest quotes I think. Even thought Alan Rickman hasn't said it, (and I hope he does in the 6th movie) I can hear him saying it.

erasily_ani
07-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Um....................................I'm a book worm? And I have a majorly overactive imagination, so the characters are incredibly real in my head. So the first one is a combination of all the Hogwarts houses, because really, we all have a little bit of each in us.

The other? Yeah, I have crushes on fictional characters (Seamus Finnigan. Edward Cullen. The Weasley Twins. Indiana Jones. Mutt Williams.) Yes, I know they're fictional. Nope, don't care. :p

Hi, my name is erasily_ani and I'm officially a complete and total dork. :wave:

wagegoth
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Mine is a thought that popped up one day when dealing with someone who was just pushing every button I have. For those who never read Dune by Frank Herbert, the gom jabbar is part of a test to see if someone is a human or an animal who walks on two legs.

It's probably best I not have one.

JoitheArtist
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
The first line is just something I thought of the other day. I've discovered that, as a geeky gal, my thought processes are...different...from most girls. :) Most girls I know settle down in the evenings with a Jane Austen novel or a fashion mag...I tend to grab a volume of Sandman. :lol:

And the second line: fangirl of Pyrogoeth simply because of the awesomeness of his response to an SC. Picking up the EW and putting her on a shelf...perfect. Priceless. :)

Eric the Grey
07-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Mine is a quote from a song by "The Bobs" They are a kind of avaunt-guard a-capella group. I've always thought it was funny.

It'll probably change as something new strikes my funny-bone.

:cool: Eric the Grey

AdminAssistant
08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
And there is a new signature, both quotes from NCIS. The first from Israeli Mossad agent Ziva David, which I love. Tony was questioning why their suspect would have been in a market, when she says it perfectly deadpan.

The second is from this past season, when the entire team is under investigation for ....something that I won't say here, for all of you on the other side of the pond that won't get to see the 5th season for a while. Abby under pressure is hilarious.

RecoveringKinkoid
08-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Nothing particularly interesting about mine. Ivar is a buddy of mine. He's got a dry, self-deprecating, slacker-style wit that has cracked us all up on more than one occasion. We were just talking about the various jobs we've had that had us working with the public and he said what is now my sig.

I thought it was particularly appropriate for the site. ;)

Gawdzillers
08-04-2008, 01:38 AM
The first part is pretty obvious.
The quote is Officer Farva trying to fit in on Super Troopers.

Shangri-laschild
08-23-2008, 09:29 AM
"That's horrible Latin, and your pronunciation needs some work."
"It's my father's fault," she told him, rubbing her shoulder. "He had a couple of years of Latin in college and used it to amuse himself. Everyone in my family picked it up. His favorite saying was, 'Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum.'"
"'Sometimes I have the urge to conquer large parts of Europe'?" Boyd said, sounding a little incredulous.
She nodded. "Usually he only said it when my brother or I were being particularly horrible."
"And that was his favorite saying?"
"My brother was a brat."

worddork
08-27-2008, 01:41 AM
I just changed mine to a line from this gal I met while trying to sign up for a jewelry class. Sign up started at 9:30 am, but a lot of people showed upa t 4:00 am :eek: to be the first in line. So even though I got at the bead shop at 9: 25, I was still number 83 in line.

Well I started talking to others there and this one gal and I had a lot in common. At one point the conversation turned to younger siblings, when she came up with this sentence, "The problem with younger siblings is once you figure out the best way to kill them, you're old enough to be tried as an adult."

Needless to say I :lol: till I cried and nearly missed them calling my number.

Lace Neil Singer
12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
New signature; found the funniest quote from Naruto ever. XD It sums up how I feel whenever I encounter a particularly obtuce SC; I'm sure everyone here has felt this way at some point in their lives. :lol:

McGoddess09
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Both of mine were said by my grandma.

The first one came from one day when she almost hit someone in the parking lot. After that, my sister and I started calling her "The Killer Grandma". We were driving around in the mall parking lot another time after that and saw some people walking. Then she said her line.

The second one was on our way to the movies. My house is over by a wooded area where deer,turkeys,coyotes, and other furry creatures live. We saw a headless deer on the side of the road. My grandma was having a "blonde moment" when she said "Hm. It looks dead."

Spiffy McMoron
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
The first line is my favorite Calvin and Hobbes quote. It's shocking how often it applies to my life. :lol:

The second line is just something that I thought up after a particularly long day. It's something that's far too true far too often.

The third line is the games played, wins, losses, points and current position of the greatest hockey team ever, the Calgary Flames.

Bella_Vixen
12-29-2008, 03:13 AM
MadMike used to have an awesome siggy that I stole to be my Yahoo messanger away message...but I lost it.

:cry:

I wish I could remember it.

MadMike
12-29-2008, 03:28 AM
MadMike used to have an awesome siggy that I stole to be my Yahoo messanger away message...but I lost it.

Do you have any idea what it was about? I've keep the same avatar and title for years, but I change my sig according to my mood. Most of them are lines from songs I know.

Bella_Vixen
12-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Do you have any idea what it was about? I've keep the same avatar and title for years, but I change my sig according to my mood. Most of them are lines from songs I know.

It was from a song and went something like "take me far away from me..."

Greenday
12-29-2008, 04:00 AM
I've just changed my from the AFC East standings to this.

It's a good solid quote. For most people, nearly all people, it holds true. Myself especially. I don't lie for the sake of lying. Sometimes lying is just necessary. I like somebody, they don't like me that way anymore, it's better to just lie and say I don't feel that way about them anymore than to tell them the truth and have things be awkward for the both of us.

Plus I know there's a decent chance she'll notice my signature, make the connection and ask me but not buy the bullsh*t response, forcing me to tell the truth. Or she'll read this reply, know how I really feel, then confront me about it.

Either way, I just want her to say something to me. It's not really fair, it's almost selfish that I want it to be brought up that, but that's another rant for another thread.

MadMike
12-29-2008, 04:18 AM
It was from a song and went something like "take me far away from me..."

I know the one. It's from a song by Overkill called "What I'm Missin'." The lyrics can be found here. (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/overkill/bloodletting.html#3)

I believe the piece you're looking for is as follows:

Take me far away from me, safe within your heart
Take me where I cannot fall apart
Keep me close, Don't let me go
Teach me what I need to know
Take the time & show me once again
What I'm missin'

Bella_Vixen
12-29-2008, 04:43 AM
MadMike, I :love: you.

Don't tell Irv, though. :eek:

MadMike
12-29-2008, 06:04 AM
MadMike, I :love: you.

Don't tell Irv, though. :eek:

Don't worry, it'll be our little secret. ;)

CloserToSane
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
The first line is a me quote. I was genuinely surprised it was payday (it happens when you get paid four weekly - at least to me).

The second is a Torchwood quote. I am a Torchwood geek, I am proud. I also love the wedding episode.

RecoveringKinkoid
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Kinda funny to go back and read over this, since a lot of us, including me, have changed our sigs since this started.

Mine is now a link to my writing site, which has a running "soap opera" on it that takes place in a mail/freight station in Wyoming in 1860. (the current avatar is a pic of the heroine of same story.) "Five Dollar Mail" refers to the fact that it cost five bucks per half ounce to mail something by Pony Express.

Lace Neil Singer
12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Heh, I bumped it cuz I changed my sig and didn't want to make a fresh topic. ^^

Bella_Vixen
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
I actually changed mine a few days ago.

I found them as (a) caption(s?) for some pictures on AOL.

The first one struck me as funny and truthful.

The second one was just funny as hell.

McGoddess09
02-26-2009, 02:15 AM
I changed mine.

The first one goes with me because of how much I have changed.

The second one is a countdown. :D

smileyeagle1021
02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Mine is a quote from the Broken Hearts Club, great movie if you haven't seen it. And it happens to be very true.

hinakiba777
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
1) For a while I planned to study to be a minister. So I was a Divinity student. I changed that recently but that's not important.

I was wearing my Biker jacket one fall afternoon and i was showing it to my friends. Most of them said it looked good, but one girl said "It looks like you're trying to get laid."

So I laugh and wink, "I'm always trying to get laid."

My friend KT starts laughing. She spans her hands out like a headline and says;
"Hina- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid."

2) This is a conversation I witnessed between a friend of mine who worked desk and another student. I was in first year at the time so I didn't work at the desk yet. However, it seems to sum up most of my experiences with the Toronto kids.

Hobbs
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Mine is a quote from the Broken Hearts Club, great movie if you haven't seen it. And it happens to be very true.

OMG! I've seen that movie. Everytime I see a frat boy on campus I think, "He's not gay; he's in a fraternity."

1) For a while I planned to study to be a minister. So I was a Divinity student. I changed that recently but that's not important.

I was wearing my Biker jacket one fall afternoon and i was showing it to my friends. Most of them said it looked good, but one girl said "It looks like you're trying to get laid."

So I laugh and wink, "I'm always trying to get laid."

My friend KT starts laughing. She spans her hands out like a headline and says;
"Hina- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid."

2) This is a conversation I witnessed between a friend of mine who worked desk and another student. I was in first year at the time so I didn't work at the desk yet. However, it seems to sum up most of my experiences with the Toronto kids.

Hehe, that's like something I'd joke about w/ my friends.

ahem. I watch Conan a lot...it's a great movie. Yep, that's about it...

smileyeagle1021
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
OMG! I've seen that movie. Everytime I see a frat boy on campus I think, "He's not gay; he's in a fraternity."

Two things, one I know you have good taste in movies :p
two, I've thought that too, the real question though is do you now think about the lighting all the time because of that movie :p

dalesys
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Me vs. the Tricycle Motor Gang:p

Nurian
02-26-2009, 10:36 PM
The first is from GK, talking to a customer then filling in with his thoughts. I just thought the situation was funny.

The second one is from Something Positive by R.K. Milholland, slightly modified for character length. It comes from this comic. (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp10102006.shtml) It's stuck with me ever since I read it. I was reading a post here once that made me remember the line. I posted it...somewhere then put it into my signature.

Hobbs
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Two things, one I know you have good taste in movies :p
two, I've thought that too, the real question though is do you now think about the lighting all the time because of that movie :p
Ehehe, not really.

Although, at one point my brother was renovating/decorating and I thought, "Thanks to Mufasa over here, it's now a Tunitian hut!"

worddork
02-28-2009, 04:59 AM
I changed my sometime ago. But it's from this comic (http://brat-halla.com/comic/intermissions-hods-comic-16/). I thought it fit me perfectly. I have actually thought about things like that a few times.

Eric the Grey
02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
I got mine from a pin I picked up at WorldCon last August.

:cool: Eric the Grey