PDA

View Full Version : um... Australian ones?

edible_hat
07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Customer: "What sort of $1 coins does the car wash take?"

Evil Queen
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I can understand this, actually. There are some machines that take special tokens that generally run you a buck and are only used at said machine.

Samaliel
07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but tokens are not $1 coins, even if they're worth a buck.

BlaqueKatt
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
that and the US does have four different dollar coins still in circulation.

Eisenhower dollar (1971–1978)
Anthony dollar (1979–1981; 1999)
Sacagawea dollar (2000–Present)
Presidential Dollar Coin Program (2007–2016?)

Broomjockey
07-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Except EH is in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they have multiples like that.

Evil Queen
07-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, but tokens are not $1 coins, even if they're worth a buck.

Some amusement parks used to use coins that said "1$" on one side and "not valid anywhere else" on the other. (Riverbend tried that and they went back to their old coinage system)

Broomjockey
07-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Some amusement parks used to use coins that said "1$" on one side and "not valid anywhere else" on the other. (Riverbend tried that and they went back to their old coinage system)

Oh! You totally reminded me of these "Downtown Dollar" things we had here. I never really found out just what they were for beyond parking and taking the bus, but supposedly they could also be used at some businesses downtown. So some areas do have stuff like that.

Madhatter_67_85
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Australia has $1 & $2 coins. Their paper money doesn't come in anything less than a five note if I remember correctly (been a few years since I went down under). I sure did have some heavy damn pockets after a few days of being there though.

JustADude
07-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Except EH is in Australia, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they have multiples like that.

It wouldn't matter anyway, if they did, since one of the main requirements of all four variants of the USD $1 coins is that their mass and dimensions be close enough to the Eisenhower to be considered identical by automated devices like vending machines and car-washes.

Ironclad Alibi
07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

It wouldn't matter anyway, if they did, since one of the main requirements of all four variants of the USD $1 coins is that their mass and dimensions be close enough to the Eisenhower to be considered identical by automated devices like vending machines and car-washes.

Look again. The US dollar coins minted since 1979 (Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars) are much small than the dollar coins minted earlier (Eisenhower dollar). The coins since 1979 are 26.5mm in diameter and weight 8.1 gm. The ones minted earlier are 38.1 mm in diameter and weigh 22.68 to 24.59 gm depending on the composition.

Eisenhower dollar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower_Dollar).

Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars (http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/circulatingCoins/index.cfm?action=CircDollar).

edible_hat
07-13-2008, 01:16 AM

They do change the design every now and then, but the size and weight is always the same. I've got one somewhere with a special mark on it that indicates I made it by pressing the button on the make-your-own-$1-coin machine at the mint.

Ironclad Alibi
07-13-2008, 03:43 AM
They do change the design every now and then, but the size and weight is always the same. I've got one somewhere with a special mark on it that indicates I made it by pressing the button on the make-your-own-$1-coin machine at the mint.

Something like that ought to drive collectors crazy a hundred or so years from now. :devil:

JustADude
07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Look again. The US dollar coins minted since 1979 (Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars) are much small than the dollar coins minted earlier (Eisenhower dollar). The coins since 1979 are 26.5mm in diameter and weight 8.1 gm. The ones minted earlier are 38.1 mm in diameter and weigh 22.68 to 24.59 gm depending on the composition.

Eisenhower dollar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower_Dollar).

Anthony/Sacagawea/Presidential dollars (http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/circulatingCoins/index.cfm?action=CircDollar).

My bad. I just assumed because the other three were the same they matched the Eisenhower. :doh:

My point, though, is still valid. No matter the country, all the commonly occurring dollar coins are as interchangeable with others from the same currency system. :p

Gurndigarn
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
y point, though, is still valid. No matter the country, all the commonly occurring dollar coins are as interchangeable with others from the same currency system. :p

Not in vending machines if they've changed sizes, or sometimes metal content. Which does happen. For instance, the US half-dime was made out of silver and was half the size of a dime for a long time, until they decided that that was just too itty-bitty for practical use (and a silver shortage helped the demise of the half-dime). How often change like this happens depends on country stability, inflation, and stoginess.

The US has made special effort to try to ensure the dollar coins after Ike had similar weights and electromagnetic signatures, otherwise some machines would have rejected whichever one they weren't set up for.

TealJellyfish
07-14-2008, 03:19 AM
The Gold Kind... Goodness Me some people!

Are you in Sydney EH? Cause if you are I am going to start taking extra bloody care crossing the road! THAT PERSON DRIVES!

edible_hat
07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Are you in Sydney EH?

Nope, the enlarged country town known as Adelaide.

SpyOne
07-15-2008, 05:50 PM

For those unfamiliar with US coins, any machine that can take any of the last 3 will take them all: they are exactly the same size. The Susan B. Anthony dollar is silver in color, while the Sacagawea and President versions are gold in color (I've read it is a molebdinum alloy), and differ only in their artwork.
The Eisenhower Dollar is a throwing weapon: it weighs about an ounce (28-30 grams), and is a couple of inches in diameter, and I don't think there has ever been a machine made that accepts them (although slot machines might have been made).