PDA

View Full Version : All I needed were boots.

Luna
09-22-2006, 02:21 AM
*sigh* What a day. I spent about 5 hours looking for workboots for Saturday. I will be volunteering my Saturday mornings at a horse farm that opened by me. One of the owners told me I needed to buy work boots. Didn't think that that would be difficult but it was.

I spent almost 5 hours going to every store I could think of that would sell workboots. None had womens workboots. The mens sizes weren't small enough. Some had childrens workboots, but not in the size I need. (I'm a 3.5 boys size and a 6 or 6.5 regular womens).

I finally found a pair of shoes at a store in a mall, tried the right one on (since that is my slighter fatter foot) it fit, and I ran up front to pay for it. Yay!

I get home, and called MIL to let her know I finally found a pair and we laughed at me buying kids shoes. She asked if the soles were sturdy enough and as i gabbed on the phone with her, I flipped the shoes over only to discover one was a size 3.5 and the other was a 4. ARRRGGHHH. I hung up with mother in law and called the store.

This letter to their corporate office was the result of my return visit where I was so very pissed off I called poor hubby to chew his ear off about it while he's at work.

I purchased a pair of shoes on 9/21/2006 at store #2408, register 2, transaction #8461. When I got home, I discovered that one was a different size. I called the store immediately and was told that I could come in and exchange them. The person who answered the phone apologized and said the person who rang me up should have checked them.

When I got to the store, I had to wait on line for over 15 minutes while the cashier kept messing up the order of the customer in front of me. She was very nice though and kept apologizing for her mistakes and for taking so long to both her current customer and to me. The manager had to come up to approve a check from that customer (and incidentally, was the person who rang me up only a couple hours before who didn't check my shoes.) I don't know her name as I didn't see a name tag but she was very rude to the cashier. The poor cashier seemed a nervous wreck. The manager asked her when was she going to get the boxes done in an impatient and rude tone. Obviously, the cashier had a line and couldn't be putting boxes away when there are customers to be helped.

I've been managing stores for over 12 years now. I understand the stress of retail and I understand the pressures of helping everyone and getting your work done. What I don't understand is how I was treated afterwards, and how the employee was treated. I know it is difficult if an employee is slow to learn but there are better ways to motivate and coach than simply barking an order and walking away.

Instead of staying to help the employee who was struggling with her transaction, the manager approved the check and left - with me STILL waiting in line. Most retail establishments need a manager to process a refund. If a manager sees a customer waiting in line with a bag already in their hand, I would say it's safe to assume you should just stay at the counter since you are going to be called back up again in a minute anyway. Maybe that's just me.

Once I was next, the cashier informed me that I needed to leave the shoes at the counter and go look for the correct shoe size. I was angry at this, and wondered why I must go digging through the inventory to find a missing shoe size that could be in any box, but decided that me looking would probably be a lot faster than her looking.

I went through every single box of that style that was out on the sales floor looking for my missing shoe size. I looked on the displays and looked on the endcaps. I didn't find the other one, and went back up to find the cashier. There were a couple other people waiting to be rung up and no one was there. Two people left leaving their white sneakers on the counter. I started to search the store to find the cashier. Once I found her, I explained I checked every box and display and I couldn't find the missing shoe size.

She then told me that I would have to find the manager b/c she would have to process an exchange and she couldn't do it. Again, I thought to myself - why do I have to 'find the manager'? I've never worked in, or shopped in a store that tells the customer to go find the manager so we can process your return. I asked the cashier to find her for me. She began walking down one of the aisles, clearly not wanting to approach the manager. I stood on one end waiting for my help and the manager was annoyed at the cashier for bothering her.

She told the cashier to have it home delivered in a very "I don't have time for this" tone of voice. Then when she saw me come around the corner, she lightened the tone a bit and said she could have them home delivered. The cashier started to explain that I needed these for Saturday. The manager then told the cashier to "Go check the mis-matches...there's tons of stuff back there out of place...I'm going to help all the people up front" (in a tone of voice that implied that the cashier should be doing that and not her) and simply walked away from us instead of taking over the situation herself as any properly trained manager should have done.

The poor cashier is now stuttering, trying to say sorry to me and re-checking all of the boxes to be sure I didn't miss the shoe. Unless she is by nature a very sensitive person, and perhaps she have a speech impediment, I wouldn't know. However, if she doesn't, from an outsider looking in, I would say the poor woman is scared of the manager. I felt horrible at this point and didn't want to keep the cashier from her shipment boxes and give the manager yet another reason to snip at her in front of a line of customers.

I asked the cashier if I could simply return them for my money back and she said yes, the manager could do that. I went up front to do the return. There was no apology for the mix-up (being that she herself rang me up), no offers to check the backroom or call another local store perhaps, no sorry for making you waste two trips to the mall and almost half an hour looking for a shoe we don't have. I was simply asked if I wanted my receipt and given my money.

Being that I work retail, I am torn on this. I won't say I will never shop in your stores again b/c I know I will. Most people know when a customer says that, you'll see them back within a few weeks regardless. Taking my business away will obviously not give that manager any more training. Complaining might lessen this store's payroll which may account for the general lack of service to begin with.

I don't want coupons. I don't want free stuff. I simply want someone to know that there are great training opportunities needed in this store. Perhaps if the manager was trained to stop working for just one moment and handle the situation, and coach staff to handle a situation quickly, with confidence and in a customer friendly manner - my experience, although having to leave with no shoes, would not have been so disappointing.

I thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
**Luna**

I could have thrown a fit, but I didn't because I didn't check the box myself. I tried one shoe on, was overjoyed that my search had ended and wanted to go home and start on laundry before it was too late and the laundrymat in our apartment complex closed for the night. *too late for that now*

Wonder what kind of response I'll get...if anything, the poor scared cashier will hopefully be treated better in the future. Hopefully.

Phone Jockey
09-22-2006, 03:36 AM
I think that letter is a great way to express how you were feeling & perhaps it will give some insight to management. It's possible that they don't have a clue what's going on. It's sad really.

Did you ever find shoes that fit?

MystyGlyttyr
09-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Personally, I would have been tempted to turn the tables on the manager and do a little grumping of my own. I'd be willing to bet some decent money she'd have tried to assign some blame on the cashier and you could have used the old "She's the only person in this store with any sense in her head!!"

*sighs* But your way is better. My way tends to end with police involvement...

AFpheonix
09-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Gah. What a PITA that whole situation sounded to be. It's a good, lucid letter, and I think highlights a lot of the things that need to change at that particular location.

I say go to a tack store (I'm sure the people running the farm could tell you where to go) and get a decent pair of Justins or Ariats. Comfy boots.

gundam40
09-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Good letter, Luna! Hopefully they'll do something about the situation...

on the topic of wrong sized shoes, be careful. Even if the numbers say they're the same size, they're not always. Let's just say I've had experience with this :P I matched the bottoms and one was larger than the other (probably 1 size bigger), but the sizes stated on the shoes were the same :p

RecoveringKinkoid
09-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Most likely, the switcheroo was pulled by someone with noticably different size feet. The shoe is probably long gone.

I haven't had much luck buying women's work boots. I usually end by bying men's or boy's boots if I need workboots.

I HAVE, however, had much luck buying Doc Martens on line, as my foot is a perfect Doc's 6. I found a pair of Doc Martens women's work boots on ebay (they are brand new, never worn) from a shoe vendor with an online store (Grapevine Hill, I think) that have worked out great for me.

Hikers, too, are hard to find. Was forced to look for a pair of hikers at the mall because of a time constraint. Found a pair, but it wasn't easy, and they weren't what I would have chosen had I had time to hunt for what I wanted.

During the course of all this, I had salesgirl show me what they were calling "hikers"...cute little trendy fashion boots that looked rugged I said "No, I mean, REAL hiking boots...do you carry those? She goes "Oh.....you mean you really are going to hike in them?" :rolleyes: :lol:

MadMike
09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Most likely, the switcheroo was pulled by someone with noticably different size feet. The shoe is probably long gone.

My ex had to do that a lot. She was missing half of her right foot due to an accident involving a lawnmower when she was 2. Yes, you read that right.

She had a prosthesis (sp?) that would fill out the rest of a regular shoe, but she preferred to wear a much smaller shoe on that foot. Some stores would let her split up the pair, while others would tell her she had to buy both pairs.

Bliss
09-22-2006, 03:49 PM

Mysty, sorry to say this, because I like you, very very much as a person, dang I even admire you :) but to my vision, EVERYTHING you do has a big potential of ending with police involvement.

hehehe

p.s. I am the same way, that's why I find it funny.

lordlundar
09-22-2006, 03:59 PM

Mysty, sorry to say this, because I like you, very very much as a person, dang I even admire you :) but to my vision, EVERYTHING you do has a big potential of ending with police involvement.

hehehe

Same here, but it means me being taken out in handcuffs.:devil:

Rapscallion
09-22-2006, 04:48 PM
During the course of all this, I had salesgirl show me what they were calling "hikers"...cute little trendy fashion boots that looked rugged I said "No, I mean, REAL hiking boots...do you carry those? She goes "Oh.....you mean you really are going to hike in them?" :rolleyes: :lol:

Sounds like the concept of offroad vehicles over here. There was a company in London that would come around and spray your car with mud every so often to make you look as if you actually went off road with it.

Rapscallion

MystyGlyttyr
09-22-2006, 04:57 PM

hehehe

Heh, it's the truth. But then again, considering that my mother's main advice to me in middle school was "If they deserve it, kick their ass", how else was I gonna end up? :lol:

The thing that's truly amazing is that I've actually never even BEEN arrested, even at times where my tossing folks around got them involved. I've never even really been questioned or anything. ...*knocks on several pieces of wood*

ArenaBoy
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Sounds like the concept of offroad vehicles over here. There was a company in London that would come around and spray your car with mud every so often to make you look as if you actually went off road with it.

Rapscallion

I'm surpised that company didn't come over here. Michigan is offroad vehicle city over here.

RecoveringKinkoid
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Me too. I've only ever kicked two people's asses before and since I hadn't started it, I got away with it scott free.

Oh, I forgot about him...make that three. :devil:

Mark Healey
09-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Rapscallion

Please tell me you are joking.

Rapscallion
09-23-2006, 06:40 PM
This is my serious face.

There was a company that would do it for you, but a quick Google found http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/science/story/0,12996,1506025,00.html

Rapscallion

Becks
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Luna, that was a FANTASTIC letter!!!!!!!!! It is the epitome of what a letter to coporate should be!!!!!!!! :worship:

Lace Neil Singer
09-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I haven't had much luck buying women's work boots. I usually end by bying men's or boy's boots if I need workboots.

Same here. When I got the job at the country park to work in the stables, I couldn't find any decent women's work boots. I ended up buying a pair of Doc Martens and they did just fine, especially as I had a whole week before I started work to break them in.

Please promise me that you won't forget to do that. Cuz brand new boots will chew up your feet and spit them out.

Luna
10-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, I received a reply back from the DM...

"Luna",

I'm quite appalled by the service you received in __________ store.
Thank you for taking the time to write about it. If this needs further
discussion, please feel free to call me at "555-555-5555".

I will be doing some research into this situation and acting accordingly.
At the least, we have some SERIOUS TRAINING ISSUES to address. If my
investigation calls for additional actions to be taken, I will indeed do as
needed.

As the district manager for this store, I am so sorry your situation was
not handled professionally and expediently. I'm hoping your e-mail will
prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Thanx again for informing us of this problem

Well, I definately won't shop there when that manager is working b/c she'll remember me and probably be pissed. ;) I did in fact find boots in the childrens section of Payless. They aren't the best in the world - they're fake Tims, but they'll have to do.

Daria
10-08-2006, 03:27 PM
They wrote 'thanx' in an official response letter? :eek: That's terrible!

Hopefully they at least make sure the manager stops riding the poor assistant so hard though. (I've had a couple of bosses like that; sadistic people with more power than they're capable of handling responsibly. It's made me vow that if I ever manage a company, there'll be a one-strike-and-you're-out bullying policy there.)

PS: Glad you eventually got your boots!

Luna
10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
They wrote 'thanx' in an official response letter? :eek: That's terrible!
PS: Glad you eventually got your boots!

:lol: You thought that too? I worked so lng and hard making sure my letter was exceptionally professional and I got "thanx". *shakes head*

I didn't remember to break in the boots, no. My 2nd volunteer day there, I worked 6am-5pm. After we got to ride for free and play on the trails, I got home about an hour after that and my feet hurt for days afterwards. Plus, wet socks from the downpour we worked in in the AM, new boots rubbing wet socks against ankles for 11 plus hours = Luna with big owww rash above ankles where top of boot bit me.

But to ride for free afterwards? Pure bliss. :D