PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Environmentalist

Dave1982
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
OK, there's nothing wrong with caring for the environment, but if you're going to take an "enlightened" viewpoint, it helps to actually BE just a little bit enlightened yourself.

A woman came into my store the other day and got very indignant with one of our cashiers. She accused her of being "wasteful" and "hurting the environment" because she wasn't reusing the acrylic security box her merchandise had been stored in.

:confused:

OK, let's take a look at this. Woman comes up with a high-ticket item, which of course is in the security box. The cashier opens the box, removes the item, then tosses the box into a bin full of other boxes and security devices.

Well, obviously she's throwing it away, and has no intention of reusing it. How wasteful and wrong that is! Why didn't I draw such an obvious conclusion? Here's your sign. :rolleyes:

mattm04
07-21-2008, 07:31 AM
what did she expect, the cashier to run off to the back and immideatley put a new item in at an stock it, then ring her up?

This past earth day a similar custoemr approaches, I see her take a loaf of Italian bred form the display, and approaches me. I assumed she wanted it sliced.

Me: Hi! did you want that sliced?
SC: NO! I was was wondering if this is baked fresh today? *hint, it was still warm*
Me: Yes. All our bread is baked fresh each day, I jut put thees out about 10 minute ago.
SC: That want I thought. How do your ovens work?
Me: what do you mean?
SC: well what do they use.
Me: They are natural gas fired with electronic controls.
SC: well, that is not good for the environment. *stomps off*

silly me, only on earth day do they use power and gas, the other 364 days a year they run off a dozen hamsters on wheels.

LoneWolf
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I really hope that the environment fad is over soon and we can get something decent again to fight about. Elections or something.

Some people are really losing it. We can stuff plastic pipes in cows butts to catch the gas they produce (I actually saw a pic of that, it was an idea floating in someone's weird mind) and run everything on wind/solar/nuclear energy, but if Mother Nature is going through her menopause... we can't do much about it.

*Looks outside to see the rain and storm and is thankful for icky environmental hostile airplanes that fly to warm places*

daleduke17
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I really hope that the environment fad is over soon and we can get something decent again to fight about.

I agree completely. I'm getting really tired of hearing "green" this and "green" that.

marasbaras
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I think the "fad" is here to stay ... it's not like the environment is going anywhere.

Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean that the premise is wrong ... taking care of what we have makes sense. In all aspects of life.

I saw a cow thing, too. They've figured out a way to measure just how much methane those walking grass-processors create. There are a LOT of cows. If it actually makes economic sense to harvest the methane they unwillingly produce, why not?

Broomjockey
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Okay, I'm just going to cut this off before it gets really rolling. This forum is not the place to debate the merits of environmentalism. Fratching is the place for that. Here is the place to mock the stupid who don't think before they lecture.

*points and laughs at stupid customer who thinks she's better than everyone*:angel:

iradney
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
And I'll bet you five bucks, if the cashier had gone to reuse that box immediately, the SC would've complained that she wasn't getting her full attention.
Or maybe she expected little robots to be wandering around the shop, collecting the boxes and reusing them....

smileyeagle1021
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Or maybe she expected little robots to be wandering around the shop, collecting the boxes and reusing them....

yes, but iradney, if there had been little robots she would have complained about the energy wasted by said robots and demand to know if they were being powered by a renewable source :rolleyes:
FTR, my condo does receive renewable energy, along the lines of 300kWhrs per month from wind power... not all environmentalists are idiots, and not all idiots are environmentalists.

Ironclad Alibi
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
OK, let's take a look at this. Woman comes up with a high-ticket item, which of course is in the security box. The cashier opens the box, removes the item, then tosses the box into a bin full of other boxes and security devices.

Well, obviously she's throwing it away, and has no intention of reusing it. How wasteful and wrong that is! Why didn't I draw such an obvious conclusion? Here's your sign. :rolleyes:

I think it's obvious that if the security box was going to be reused, the cashier would have stacked it nearly with all the other security boxes waiting to be reused, and not toss it into a jumbled pile in a box. Because we all know that to recycle stuff, it has to be stacked neatly. If it is in a big jumbled pile, it is obviously trash.

What it really means is that woman is an OCD environmentalist.

edible_hat
07-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Speaking of stupid environmentalists... I heard on the radio about a guy who was harrassed by Greenpeace while on the train (over something he'd said about vegetarians on a previous show). His reply: "I'm taking public transport! Go hassle somebody in a car!"

tropicsgoddess
07-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I couldn't think of anything to say that's not considered for fratching, so I thought this would summate my thoughts better.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/retail.asp?date=20080722

iradney
07-22-2008, 09:22 AM
yes, but iradney, if there had been little robots she would have complained about the energy wasted by said robots and demand to know if they were being powered by a renewable source :rolleyes:

They could be powered by the whinging of SC's! :lol:

Samaliel
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM

If only...

If, like I think, the willingness to annoy others is among the Fundamental Forces of the Universe, there must be a way to channel it.

smileyeagle1021
07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I couldn't think of anything to say that's not considered for fratching, so I thought this would summate my thoughts better.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/retail.asp?date=20080722

yeah, cooper is lucky that he could afford a new fuel efficient scooter... those of us in real life have our choice of pay to fill our tanks (even at 30mpg that is a lot) or take the bus...

Mamadrae
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
yeah, cooper is lucky that he could afford a new fuel efficient scooter... those of us in real life have our choice of pay to fill our tanks (even at 30mpg that is a lot) or take the bus...

Some don't even have that bus/car choice. Where I live there is a bus system but it doesn't go everywhere and only runs from like 9-5. You need a car to get most places or your gonna be walking a few miles to your actual destination, even if you do take a bus.

Pagan
07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
silly me, only on earth day do they use power and gas, the other 364 days a year they run off a dozen hamsters on wheels.

Watch out, the animal rights people are gonna come after you now for cruelty....especially since it's cute little fuzzy hamsters.

Some don't even have that bus/car choice. Where I live there is a bus system but it doesn't go everywhere and only runs from like 9-5. You need a car to get most places or your gonna be walking a few miles to your actual destination, even if you do take a bus.

Exactly! We've got a bus system here, but, while it does go some places I need to go, the times don't jive. Like right now when I'm over at Presbyterian Hospital until 11:30pm, the buses stop at, like, 10pm, and I don't think they run on weekends at all. Not to mention that there's only about 6 buses that cross the river to the west side (we're kind of the unwanted step-child).

Mayor Marty (and a few other "geniuses") now think it's a brilliant idea to put a trolley going up and down Central to help "conserve" gas. Yeah, it is a good idea....except that that will serve a very small segment of the city and does us no good over here on the west side.

daleduke17
07-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Exactly! We've got a bus system here, but, while it does go some places I need to go, the times don't jive. Like right now when I'm over at Presbyterian Hospital until 11:30pm, the buses stop at, like, 10pm, and I don't think they run on weekends at all. Not to mention that there's only about 6 buses that cross the river to the west side (we're kind of the unwanted step-child).

Sounds like our bus system here in town. You'd think the city would have it to where a bus would drop off at a city park that has a pool. Nope. Closest stop is about three blocks away, completely secluded from the park and pool. If it were more feasible, I would probably take public transit, but, the idea of walking three blocks (I live across the street from said pool), transferring twice, and then walking three more blocks is not in the books for me as it would take over an hour to do that, when I can drive to work in ten minutes, including a stop at the Circle K for a soda and chips. Now, I'm not saying I should be able to have door to door service, but, a little more strategically located stops would be nice.

Also, our bus service stops at 11pm, except for around the university (during the school year) when it works until 1am (which is closing time for the bars).

smileyeagle1021
07-25-2008, 06:44 AM
UTA has the same problem with buses... they stop running at 11pm... which with my grave shift isn't a problem because I should be at work by then... when I work swing though it just isn't possible... well I take that back, I could get halfway but that leaves just over 5 miles that I need to do on bike... not happening.

draftermatt
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Where I live there are no buses, trains, etc. If you're going somewhere in the county, you're driving.

Unless you're old then you can call CATS and they'll come pick you up and take you where you need to go.

And say I wanted to go to Baltimore. Well then I can drive 15-20 miles to the nearest Metro/Light Rail station, take that to the nearest stop, then take a bus or walk, but that's only true for Baltimore City, and surrounding communities.

DC has a good transit, but I have to drive 40+ miles to get to the nearest station.

Of course the 1 of the county commissioners wanted to have a bus system to go from my county to the Baltimore stations as has been planned for 15 years, but the other commissioners said no and the last time it was brought up the public outcry was so negative they dropped it.

Pagan
07-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Sounds like our bus system here in town. You'd think the city would have it to where a bus would drop off at a city park that has a pool. Nope.

Also, our bus service stops at 11pm, except for around the university (during the school year) when it works until 1am (which is closing time for the bars).

What irks most everyone around here is that all the focus is on Central and downtown. Which is hilarious because UNM is around in the same area and they ignore it, too! Um, hello you idiots....the city covers a little over 180 sq miles. (It's almost 20 miles from my apartment to Presbyterian Hospital downtown.) Try hooking up the rest of the city as well as that small area....or we'll vote you out!

Irving Patrick Freleigh
07-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Somewhat off topic, they make some pretty neat products from recycled things.

Today at work, I noticed a company has taken discarded foil juice pouches (like Capri-Sun or Kool-Aid) and fused them together into pencil pouches. I want one; I'm sure I can find a use for it.

They also make binder and notebook covers out of recycled cardboard. I also have a shopping bag from Target that's old plastic Target bags fused together.

SpyOne
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

The bus service around here sucks. Same issues people have mentioned above: doesn't go everywhere, limited hours, hours that don't match my schedule.

I hit a bit of financial trouble, and insurance for my car was beyond my means. If they catch you driving an uninsured vehicle, the suspend your license.

So, faced with a situation where I could not drive, and yet I must get to work, I found a solution that works quite well: I got a bicycle.

My first cost me $10 at a thrift store. It took me nearly an hour each way, but given that the alternative was starving and becoming homeless, it didn't seem so bad. After a while, I bought a better bike.

I also bought waterproof clothes in case it rains, and bags to carry my work clothes in so I don't get them all sweaty. And headlights, since I do most of my riding at night.
And then I realized that, just in gas, I was saving $1 every day I rode to work. So after a year, I spent $300 on an even better bike.

I'm thinner, fitter, happier, and wealthier than I was. I could have gotten my license back a year ago, but instead I sold my car.

It's not without difficulties: I can't carry much in the way of groceries, even with panniers and a "rack trunk", but a local supermarket will deliver any amount of groceries for an extra $10, so I just order about 2 weeks worth at a time.

Just pointing out that driving is not the only solution available when the busses are useless.

Pagan
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
So, faced with a situation where I could not drive, and yet I must get to work, I found a solution that works quite well: I got a bicycle.

Except that I'm not gonna try to ride my bike almost 20 miles across ABQ at 2330. That would have been a lot of fun last night when the power was out. Unfortunately, most of this city is simply not built to accommodate bicycles. You will get run over.

d962831
08-01-2008, 04:00 AM
oh, this reminds me of all the people who yell that they want their bags in paper because it pollutes less. Yeah, these people aren't enlightened in the least, they're running with a fad. Paper bags actually cause more harm to the environment than plastic, but as they say "plastic isn't natural"...yeah, like paper is.:rolleyes:

Rapscallion
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
oh, this reminds me of all the people who yell that they want their bags in paper because it pollutes less. Yeah, these people aren't enlightened in the least, they're running with a fad. Paper bags actually cause more harm to the environment than plastic, but as they say "plastic isn't natural"...yeah, like paper is.:rolleyes:

Well, just hit Fratching turf there. Keep the 'how to improve the world' off here, please? It stops fights.

Rapscallion

marasbaras
08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I want paper bags because my son cuts them up and does cool things with them (well, cool things from a father's point of view). Unfortunately, all we have locally are those horrid plastic bags.

penguingeekgod
08-03-2008, 04:06 AM

Perpetual energy fuel??

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-03-2008, 04:37 AM

They could be powered by the whinging of SC's!

Clean, renewable and unlimited supply...*snaps fingers* You two are on to something here!

Quick! Somebody tell T. Boone Pickens!

rvdammit
08-03-2008, 06:02 AM
One of the joys of living in the Greter London area is the public transport. Nearest tube station is 10 minutes on a bus, train is 10 minutes walk, and radial bus routes round the outside.

smileyeagle1021
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
One of the joys of living in the Greter London area is the public transport. Nearest tube station is 10 minutes on a bus, train is 10 minutes walk, and radial bus routes round the outside.

you good sir suck... Salt Lake based its bus system off of the grid, meaning that almost no matter what you will have to transfer unless you are going due north/south or due east/west... though in fairness during peak hours it is a great system with many routes running every 15 minutes... apparently though bus drivers are afraid of the dark because there are very few buses that run at night.

Dreamstalker
08-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately, most of this city is simply not built to accommodate bicycles. You will get run over.
In Santa Fe as well. It's a tourist town, yet very inhospitable to both bikers and pedestrians once you get outside the Plaza and environs (it is possible to walk to the Plaza down Cerrillos, but you will be taking your life in your hands). For awhile I had something of a solution (old cotton jacket with a large and noticeable Kirtland AFB patch on the shoulder; it did seem like people actually stopped when I was wearing it). That worked fairly well until the jacket fell apart; I still have the patch, but haven't found a good "official" looking garment to attach it to.

Pagan
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
In Santa Fe as well. It's a tourist town, yet very inhospitable to both bikers and pedestrians once you get outside the Plaza and environs (it is possible to walk to the Plaza down Cerrillos, but you will be taking your life in your hands).

Yeah, it's going to get interesting as hell once the Rail Runner starts running up to Santa Fe. There's going to be 4 stations up there - NM 599, Zia/St. Francis, South Capitol Complex (somewhere in the vicinity of Cerrillos-Cordova), and the Santa Fe Rail Yards.