PDA

View Full Version : Cold+Water= ... Ice, wait, what???

penguingeekgod
08-03-2008, 04:34 AM
My first job was at a car wash. I live in Ohio. Our seasons are as follows:

1) Almost winter
2) Winter
3) Still winter
4) Construction

Now, I'm kind of a freak because I LOVE winter and the cold. I usually wear shorts all year unless I'm working.

Further, some people need to pay more attention to basic science, more specifically, the temperature at which water freezes.

One morning, about a dozen customers IN A ROW asked the owner what would freeze if they got a wash. He got tired of the answer of, "Anywhere that is wet," and just started to list every part on the car he could think of that would get wet... "Breaks, doors, mirrors, sunroof..."

--------------------------------

There was a day that it was actually cold enough to make me wear pants (cold weather+shorts+water= ice covered shins). I was wearing windpants over jeans, gloves, hat, and the heaviest jacket I had when a guy complains...

"Why is my car and everything in the wash frozen?"

"Because they are wet and it's 5 degrees."

"Why does that matter?"

"Water freezes at 32 degrees."

"Turn on the heat."

(with a dead stare) "It is set to full blast, but it doesn't matter because people like you keep showing up and we can't keep the doors closed long enough to thaw anything, thus everything, including my towels, have ice on them."

"Oh." *drives off*

Bright_Star
08-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered? That's a special kind of suckyness if you ask me...lol.

Becks
08-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered?

Customers at the gas station.

Especially the ones who got the $4.50 no dry wash. AFTER I told them that no dry for that one. :doh:

sixums
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered? That's a special kind of suckyness if you ask me...lol.

It's actually a good idea to get your car washed at least once during the winter. Why? Salt. Road salt will eat right through metal because it melts the snow/ice creating salt water that sticks to the car. Or better yet here in NH they just spray salt water directly onto the roads. It works better but it will wreck the body of a car. Rust everywhere.

It is a little sucky to expect places to keep it warm enough that things won't freeze over in single-digit weather. But sometimes I want my car to not look like a salt-encrusted rust heap, so I go get it washed. Shiny newly washed cars make people forget about pesky things like chemistry.

FenigDurak
08-04-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm suddenly glad for Colorado weather. It'll snow, but then melt soon after. It'll be cold, but just above freezing during the day. Then it'll snow again, melt, lather, rinse, repeat. Plenty of time to wash a car!

Jay 2K Winger
08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Dear god, some people clearly flunked basic science in school...

1) Almost winter
2) Winter
3) Still winter
4) Construction

Now, I'm kind of a freak because I LOVE winter and the cold. I usually wear shorts all year unless I'm working.

I lived in Plano, TX for three years. I like to joke they only have three seasons there:
1) Summer
2) Cold
3) Football

Now I live in Fairfax County, VA, where the seasons are as follows:
1) SUMMER
2) Fall for two days
3) SUMMER RETURNS for a week
4) Fall for a week
5) SUMMER'S REVENGE for three days
6) Fall for four days
7) SUMMER'S LAST GASP for two days
8) Fall
9) WINTER
10) Spring for a day
11) WINTER RETURNS for a week
12) Spring for a week
etc.

And that's supposing you GET a proper winter. As I like to put it, Without snow, it's just an extended cold snap.

And like you, penguin, I don't mind cold weather. I like snow and ice... as long as I don't have to shovel it. And I wear t-shirts almost year-round, mostly because I tend to overheat myself, and don't want to sweat like crazy in long-sleeved shirts.

AdminAssistant
08-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I really hate winter. I hate ice, I hate snow, I hate cold. I'm not fond of 100 degree heat, but it doesn't mess up the roads, it doesn't make my car look all gunky, and the a/c is cheaper to run than the heat.

I'm sure that around January I'm going to be :cry: that I decided to go to Kansas instead of Georgia.

Blckroses
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Some people just don't use their brains.
This is like people I see at the car washes here during the monsoon. They can see the huge black clouds over the mountains and yet are still getting their car washed.
Our seasons are:
1. Pre Summer (80-90 degrees)
2. Monsoon (1 month on and off) (90-100 degrees and damp)
3. Full blown Summer (100-110 degrees)
4. Warm Fall (70-80 degrees)
then Pre Summer again

You figure people would deal with dirt on their cars for the month of the monsoon and wash their cars during the other 11 rainless months of the year.

Trayol
08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
In Chicagoland the recent yearly weather goes as follows:

1. Obscenely Cold Winter
2. Early Spring Warmth.
3. Cold Again
4. Warm Spring/Summer
5. Extreme Summer Heat
6. Cooling Fall
7. Fall heating
8. Beginning of Cold Winter
9. Winter Heating

Setsunaela
08-09-2008, 02:32 AM
[/i]

See, I constantly told my fiance that moving to NOVA meant crazy-ass weather. VA can't make it's mind up what season it is.. ever. It'll be 90 degrees for two weeks, and then we'll have like.. high 60's for three days. then up to high 90's for another week and a half. And people wonder why the weather section of the news is only like two seconds around here. "It was 89 today, it'll be somewhere between 60 and 110 tomorrow!"

hinakiba777
08-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Science people do not need science? Science is totally unneeded.

"Why is everything getting sucked out of the room today? Just because it's windy and i have two doors at opposite ends of the room open..."
"Why is there is on my car? Just because I washed it without drying when it's below zero"
"Why has my ice sculpture melted on the hottest day of the year?"

>.< Dumb people make my migraines come.

1) Almost winter
2) Winter
3) Still winter
4) Construction

That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." I've been it go from torrential rain to sunny in three minutes. I've also been in the work rain storm while it's still sunny. It gets hot fast, cold fast. Plus April is freaky.

Basically April is always nice. REALLY NICE! Like sit out in the sun all day reading nice. However, when May comes it's suddenly chilly again. I've seen it snow in May. This year April was lovely. May was cool. June was like November. July was really nice. Now it's cold again. It's the second week of August and I'm wearing a sweater to work.

Then again, the gift shop is a wind tunnel so....

Jay 2K Winger
08-09-2008, 04:27 AM
That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes."

I use the same expression here in Fairfax Co. My grandfather used the same one when he lived in Wilmington, DE.

auntiem
08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Here we have:
1) Warm rain
2) Windy season with rain
3) Cold rain with heavy cloud cover
4) Freezing rain
5) Cold rain

greek_jester
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." I've been it go from torrential rain to sunny in three minutes. I've also been in the work rain storm while it's still sunny. It gets hot fast, cold fast. Plus April is freaky.

Oh, so you've visited Britain then? :D

drunkenwildmage
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM

1) Almost winter
2) Winter
3) Still winter
4) Construction

ahh..yes..Construction season in NorthWest Ohio. Only place I've seen that will set up a detour for a closed road that takes you on another road that is closed for construction.:eek:

nomorecarts
08-15-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm in a almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction place too, but the self serve car washes close for the winter and the ones where they wash your car have people drying at the door. all you gotta worry about in the winter here is the sudden temperature change shattering or cracking the plastic and rubber parts of your car

mattm04
08-21-2008, 07:08 AM
It's actually a good idea to get your car washed at least once during the winter. Why? Salt. Road salt will eat right through metal because it melts the snow/ice creating salt water that sticks to the car. Or better yet here in NH they just spray salt water directly onto the roads. It works better but it will wreck the body of a car. Rust everywhere.

It is a little sucky to expect places to keep it warm enough that things won't freeze over in single-digit weather. But sometimes I want my car to not look like a salt-encrusted rust heap, so I go get it washed. Shiny newly washed cars make people forget about pesky things like chemistry.

I will only get my car washed in the winer if it will be above or near freezing for several days. Now only if I lived in Florida....stupid winter.

digilight
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Here in my part of Southern California we have the following seasons.

Mild Spring (usually 50-70 degree's with the occasional 90-100+ heatwave thrown in)
Earthquake season
Mild Summer (see above it doesn't really change much)
Eastwinds/Santa Annas (hot and windy and dry)
Fire Season
Fall (see spring and summer)
More fire season
Mild Winter (a little rain some years, and its usually between 50-60 during the day and might get as low as high 30's at night).....and we still bitch about the cold....yup you wisconsiners can call us big whinny pussies if you want.

Acolyte
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
We just get 'Winter' and 'Bad sledding' up here. :D

RetailWorkhorse
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
the ones where they wash your car have people drying at the door

I guess it wouldn't be very fun if a wet person went out into the cold. :p Gotta dry off someplace. I prefer a towel myself. :roll:

Exodus212
08-22-2008, 01:47 AM
What an idiot. The seasons in my town are as follows:

1) Foggy
2)Foggy
3)Foggy and freezing
4)Warm.
5)Foggy.
6)Blistering heat.
7)So much fog you can't see two feet in front of you.

Repeat, ad infinitum.

jedimaster91
08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
1) SUMMER
2) Fall for two days
3) SUMMER RETURNS for a week
4) Fall for a week
5) SUMMER'S REVENGE for three days
6) Fall for four days
7) SUMMER'S LAST GASP for two days
8) Fall
9) WINTER
10) Spring for a day
11) WINTER RETURNS for a week
12) Spring for a week
etc.

And that's supposing you GET a proper winter. As I like to put it, Without snow, it's just an extended cold snap.

You've pretty much described Kentucky's weather, too. I've worn shorts in December, and heavy coats in May. I remember one year, I shoveled some snow that we were graced with, and then by the end of the week I was wearing shorts. :confused:

edible_hat
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM

Possibly relatives the people who come to my place of employment wanting to use the car wash and drier during a thunderstorm. I thought maybe they wanted to just buy the code and tokens and use them later (the wash code's good for 28 days, the drier tokens never expire) but I saw them on the CCTV system slowly driving through the drier, meanwhile nearby roads are flooding because of a blocked drain and heavy downpours. And that's them, plural, as in more than one person did this.

EricKei
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." I've been it go from torrential rain to sunny in three minutes.

That sounds like the weather here (New Orleans) -- our seasons are basically "Summer", "Summer, only more so", and "February" :help: ...With 90+% humidity the entire time. With heat, it makes things worse. With cold, it makes sweaters have minimal effect. I think we get a "hard freeze" here maybe once or twice a year, tops. It's practically a major news event when it happens. I kinda wish we had Autumn here. Most trees seem to go directly from green to dead in a hurry, we don't normally get those pretty reds and yellows to stare at.

deafcat24
08-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Here in the GTA, as said by CTV Toronto, we have two seasons, Winter and construction season.

I was wearing tank top and shorts to thanksgiving dinner.

This winter was pretty good until February. By mid-month, snow was up to my chest outside my window. After pretty well every snowfall, snow was up to my knees in my doorway, not including the step down needed.

Once March came we didn't get any more snow. I expected us to get one more big blast because we always do, but we didn't.

smileyeagle1021
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah, utahs seasons

holy shit it's hot
a few days of pleasant weather
holy shit it's cold
a few days of pleasant weather

Fenrus
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM
holy shit it's hot
a few hours of pleasant weather
holy shit it's cold
a few hours of pleasant weather

Edited for truth. ^_^

smileyeagle1021
08-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Edited for truth. ^_^

yeah, your version is more correct... when do you think the few hours of pleasant whether will be... sometime in the next week or so I suspect (probably when I'm either working or at school).