PDA

View Full Version : 'FRAGILE' pronounced "Frajeelay"...from Italy

Ree
08-15-2008, 12:29 AM
We got a call from the floor staff the other day to pull a laundry tub cabinet for a lady, and she was going to come around to the loading dock for it.

It took us a while, because we were looking for a big box, but it was in a small carton because it required assembly.

The lady pulled in and we had it ready to load, but she did a double-take. I thought it was because the display unit was all assembled and this wasn't.
I said, "Oh, it requires assembly. Didn't they explain that to you?"

She said, "Oh, yeah, they said it would have to be put together, but you gave me the wrong one."
I had checked it myself, so I knew it was right.

She said, "It says, 'GLASS'. You gave me a glass one. I don't want a glass laundry cabinet."

I said, "Maam, that means "GLASS. Handle with care. It's another way for them to say that it's 'FRAGILE.'"

She just kind of went, "Oh," and grabbed it up. I still don't think she believed me, though."

fma_fanatic
08-15-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm always reminded of Rugrats whenever I see FRAGILE. I think it's the episode where Suzy moves into the neighborhood. One mover says to the other, "Hey Frank! What does FRA-JEE-LAY mean?"

dbblsanta
08-15-2008, 04:26 AM
I don't understand the brain burp here. The box said GLASS on it, the women thought it was a glass cabinet. She didn't want a glass cabinet. Why would someone assume that a box that says GLASS on it wouldn't have glass in it?

powerboy
08-15-2008, 05:21 AM
I don't understand the brain burp here. The box said GLASS on it, the women thought it was a glass cabinet. She didn't want a glass cabinet. Why would someone assume that a box that says GLASS on it wouldn't have glass in it?

Yeah same here.

Ree
08-15-2008, 05:33 AM
I guess I've just been working in retail too long, or bought way too many fragile items in cardboard boxes, or have just seen way too many boxes with that exact same lettering on the side saying "GLASS" even though it was on something made of metal, wood, or whatever.
Oh, and I forgot that not everyone realizes that a glass laundry tub cabinet wouldn't exactly be practical or durable, even if they made such a thing.

I thought it was a cute situation, but apparently I was wrong.

My apologies for daring to post.
I had forgotten that this site had turned into a place where we call each other out on stories that don't seem "sucky" funny or "Brain burp" enough.

I will remember that before posting next time, and keep it in mind when I read your stories, or when you, yourself get called out on something you post.

Crazeyal
08-15-2008, 06:03 AM
I happen to think the OP was funny and enjoyed it.

Ree
08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks.
I was afraid it was one of those "had to be there" moments.

For some reason, I find a lot of the import fragile items will just say "GLASS" on the side, even if the item inside isn't glass. Maybe they don't know what "Fragile" means, either. :shrug:

Even the other day, I saw a shipping carton from boxes of cookies and they said "GLASS".

Crazeyal
08-15-2008, 06:18 AM
It's fun to watch someone go from BITCH to mouse in three to five words...

:lol:

I've had them sooooooooooooooo many times.

Bitch: RANT RANT RANT

Poh little ol me: Ma'am..m-ma'am..M... M.. MA'AM!!!

Bitch: WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME!?!?

PLOM: BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO YOU THAT IT'S NOT BROKEN!!! YOU KICKED THE PLUG OUT!!!

*shrinks back to little old lady size*

oh

:rolleyes:

Rapscallion
08-15-2008, 06:49 AM

Yeah same here.

The Brain Burp here is that an internationally recognised symbol was interpreted as meaning a supposedly hardy product was made of glass.

Does that make it far clearer and ruin the effect? (A joke explained is a joke ruined...)

Rapscallion

powerboy
08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes Raps, it does. Wasn't thinking earlier.

dbblsanta
08-15-2008, 02:32 PM
The Brain Burp here is that an internationally recognised symbol was interpreted as meaning a supposedly hardy product was made of glass.

Does that make it far clearer and ruin the effect? (A joke explained is a joke ruined...)

RapscallionOh ok. So it didn't actually say "Glass," it had the symbol for "Breakable" on the box. gotcha.

Rapscallion
08-15-2008, 02:37 PM
That was my interpretation. I've seen that sign all over the place to mean 'fragile'.

Rapscallion

Ironclad Alibi
08-16-2008, 12:56 AM

Rapscallion

Something like this sign (http://www.lowcostcc.com/acatalog/fragilelabel.gif).

I was also wondering why it was labeled glass when it wasn't glass. Having a glass symbol is understandable.

chinashirtgirl
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Fragilly. Loved that Marx Brothers gag!! Nice reference!!:)

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe she thought Ree was giving her a major award instead of a cabinet?

DesignFox
08-21-2008, 04:01 AM
Maybe she thought Ree was giving her a major award instead of a cabinet?

*snickers* :D

Yea, I've seen that fragile symbol on all sorts of things...I don't immediately think of glass when I see it...just something fragile! I mean, if I knew what I ordered wasn't made of glass, I wouldn't think that suddenly someone put glass in the box it came in...Plus, I think lots of companies are starting to recycle boxes, so anything is possible.

Eben56
08-22-2008, 12:20 AM
My apologies for daring to post.
I had forgotten that this site had turned into a place where we call each other out on stories that don't seem "sucky" funny or "Brain burp" enough.

I will remember that before posting next time, and keep it in mind when I read your stories, or when you, yourself get called out on something you post.

Ree: You say anything you want... The world is filled with ___.:sorry:

Imogene
08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm always reminded of Rugrats whenever I see FRAGILE. I think it's the episode where Suzy moves into the neighborhood. One mover says to the other, "Hey Frank! What does FRA-JEE-LAY mean?"

Yup, love that episode. And I think of it every time I see something marked fragile. Plus, if I remember correctly, the box in his hands was upside down.

smileyeagle1021
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Yup, love that episode. And I think of it every time I see something marked fragile. Plus, if I remember correctly, the box in his hands was upside down.

yes it was... it plainly had "this side up" written on it... facing the ground :lol:

that is one of the few episodes I remember.

Jack7957
08-25-2008, 11:33 PM
19 posts and no one mentions this classic movie scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSmmbmJCLw)?

DGoddessChardonnay
08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
19 posts and no one mentions this classic movie scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSmmbmJCLw)?

Actually that's what came to mind when I came across the thread. . . .

I want one of those lamps for my office.:D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
08-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Where do you think I got the major award from? :cry:

Ree
08-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Where do you think I got the major award from?
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. ;)
In fact, IPF was the first to actually pick up on my reference.

DesignFox
08-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Where do you think I got the major award from? :cry:

I laughed at it...and I thought that's what Ree was getting at with her title, too.

Jay 2K Winger
08-26-2008, 05:56 AM

I rather thought it was implicitly mentioned in the title of the post, but :shrug:

bainsidhe
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm glad someone explained it was a picture of glass representing fragile instead of the word glass. If it said the word glass, I would've been a confused customer as well. I'm glad the woman took the box, even if she seemingly still had doubts.