PDA

View Full Version : I stand alone...twilight-the book please tell me I'm not alone! (could have spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2

Lace Neil Singer
08-23-2008, 08:29 PM
As the only person in existance who hates Twilight and all the books in the series with a passion before only directed towards mushrooms and SCs.

My rant is below; if you are a fan of the book series, I would advise you to back out and not highlight the text rather than doing so and sending me nasty messages. O.o)

Bella is a horribly bland cliched Mary Sue and Edward is an equally cliched Gary Stu. The storyline is horribly contrived and he seems to bloody rescue her from her own stupidity every second! *eye roll*

Why oh why is the entire world obsessed with this series?!

Aethian
08-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree completely with you. I tried to give it a chance I really did...

Evil Queen
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Never heard of it. :D

No, seriously. I've never heard of this book series.

Lace Neil Singer
08-23-2008, 10:59 PM

I envy you, in your blissful ignorance. :(

Eric the Grey
08-24-2008, 12:30 AM

My first thought was "what's Twilight?" so I looked them up on Amazon. Probably won't read the books, not my style, but I might go see the movie. While I'm not much into horror movies, I do like vampire flicks.

:cool: Eric the Grey

ShinyGreenApple
08-24-2008, 01:00 AM
No, you're not! I can't stand it, either. Maybe I'm not entirely qualified to direct such a level of hate towards this series as I do, but I've read enough excerpts and reviews, and seen the stupid movie trailer, to know that it's utter drivel. I hang around livejournal blogs and communities a lot, and I swear I can't go a single day without seeing some damn Twilight related icon.

Vampires that are:

Vegetarians (Who feed off of mountain lions, fyi :eek: )

Sparkly (Why, God, WHY?!)

Over a century old but attend the local high school (wtf?)

Have no personality.

And that's not even mentioning the Mary-Sue 'protagonist' that has been created. It's all just so . . . gah. I have no words. It kind of saddens and irritates me that people are so head over heels over something so mediocre, and I can't wait until the whole phase has passed and died a sad, humiliating death.

I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. A real vamp story :p

AnaKhouri
08-24-2008, 02:14 AM
I hate vampires. I hate teenagers.

So there is no way on God's green earth I will EVER read this series, unless every other book on the planet was vaporized. :lol:

Amethyst Hunter
08-24-2008, 02:25 AM
No argument here! :devil:

AdminAssistant
08-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Hm, I knew it was about vampires, but I didn't know they were TEENAGE vampires. I'm assuming that there's a lot of angst. Ooohhh, the angst.

*shudder*

No, thank you.

Evil Queen
08-24-2008, 04:45 AM
I just read the 10-Second Interview on Amazon.com about Twilight. Can you say "Gag me with a Rusty Spoon?" I thought so.

It looks like it would be incredibly boring. But I like how the Author credits The Book of Mormon as having the most significant impact on her life. (I was being sarcastic, by the way) I don't think that's what the interviewer was talking about. More like, what book had the most significant inpact on her writing life.

As for that last credit; why Card? He's not particularly good (and I know he's reading this somewhere). He wrote ONE decent book and the rest were dribble.

And I HATE how she would be left on a deserted island with my favourite CD. Make her go away!

SorryIsGoodEnough
08-24-2008, 05:03 AM
I honestly could rant for pages about the Mary Sue nonsense that is the Twilight series.

Not only is it ridiculous, but the character of Bella Swan is the epitome of what teenage girls should NOT want to be.

I get passionate about how much I hate this series. Almost as passionate as what I feel for Rick Warren but that's a whole different subject.

Blech.

Evil Queen
08-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Wait, wait wait. Hold the Phone.

...Her name is... Beautiful Swan?! (translated anyways)

LAME!

Lace Neil Singer
08-24-2008, 07:23 PM
That is such an obvious Mary Sue name, that I just want to vomit all over her in disgust. -.-

RetailWorkhorse
08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Never heard of the series myself.

But then I also never heard of Discworld until my grandmother gave me "Mort" this morning. Now I need the rest. Like....now, please. And the bookstore's closed today (I have over 80$ worth of credit for their used books and I have to use it up before I leave). Right when I was going to pick up all their Doctor Who books, too. Crud-buckets.

tropicsgoddess
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I've heard of it, but never read the series.

Evil Queen
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Never heard of the series myself.

But then I also never heard of Discworld until my grandmother gave me "Mort" this morning. Now I need the rest. Like....now, please. And the bookstore's closed today (I have over 80$ worth of credit for their used books and I have to use it up before I leave). Right when I was going to pick up all their Doctor Who books, too. Crud-buckets.

I have the Colour of Magic. :wave: And the rest of the books are in Audio Book format. Just wait until you move to New Mexico.

And READ MORT! It's great and you'll LOVE Death! :lol:

ShinyGreenApple
08-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Not only is it ridiculous, but the character of Bella Swan is the epitome of what teenage girls should NOT want to be.

Disgusting, isn't it?

And while I get the whole appeal of vampires, and I know they're not real (well, at least not to me :p ) it irritates me that they get glamorized and such. Being one is not a happy existence. They are not the sort of people you'd want to be friends with. Geez . . .

And by the way, SorryIsGoodEnough, I LOVE your avatar. Absoultely <3 it to bits :love:

SorryIsGoodEnough
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
And by the way, SorryIsGoodEnough, I LOVE your avatar. Absoultely <3 it to bits :love:

Thank you! He's my favorite.

Lace Neil Singer
08-26-2008, 05:57 PM
There's also going to be a movie coming out so we'll end up swamped with it. -.- I'm betting the actress they've picked to play the part of Mary Sue is just as vapid and pointless as the character is. Blah... X_x

Shangri-laschild
08-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I haven't read the actual book, but I've read a bunch of excerpts from it. I was very unimpressed. Oh yeah. And this may amuse all of you:
http://headtripcomics.comicgenesis.com/d/20080505.html

RetailWorkhorse
08-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Well, looky there, another comic to become addicted to. :D

Shangri-laschild
08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, looky there, another comic to become addicted to. :D

It's completely worth reading, though she's been busy with life lately so the updates have been slow but she's supposed to start posting again soon. Also, for those of you who haven't read the book, here's some bits (the bold parts being the blog writer's thoughts) that might help explain people's dislike...
http://buttfacemakani.livejournal.com/281619.html

RetailWorkhorse
08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
...I just realized that I know the artist for Head Trip. Oh gods, she's gonna tan my hide. :lol:

Shangri-laschild
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
...I just realized that I know the artist for Head Trip. Oh gods, she's gonna tan my hide. :lol:

Have I told you recently that you're awesome? :p

erasily_ani
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Eh, I don't think they're as completely horrible as some people here do. I actually really enjoyed the second one (the Jacob one -- I do like Jacob and Alice is pretty cool) and the first one wasn't horrible. Yeah, she's a bit Mary Sue-ish but I actually like the take on the vampires and the fact that, well, most of them in the family don't necessarily like being what they are. The third one wasn't terrible either (again, I kinda like Alice and I do like Jacob).

Haven't read the newest one. I've heard REALLY REALLY bad things about it, so I doubt I will read it.

They aren't my favorite books in the world (that award goes to The Simarillion) but I don't hate them. Guess it's just personal preference. :p

(Then again, I'm one that's read and written fan fiction. And trust me, when you've slogged through some of that crap, well.................you realize just how HORRIBLE books CAN be. Nothing is as bad as that!)

XCashier
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Also, for those of you who haven't read the book, here's some bits (the bold parts being the blog writer's thoughts) that might help explain people's dislike...
http://buttfacemakani.livejournal.com/281619.html
Are those the actual book quotes? And somebody thought it was good enough to publish?! Sheesh, that almost makes "My Immortal" look like decent writing.

Yah, major Mary Sue. I think I'll skip this series, TYVM. :puke:

RayvenQ
08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe I should write a Vampire book, I mean hell, My Yahoo Roleplay Vampire character is probably more interesting, He's an amoral, arse kicking, twin sword wielding bastard. As Vampires mostly should be :D

Lace Neil Singer
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe I should write a Vampire book, I mean hell, My Yahoo Roleplay Vampire character is probably more interesting, He's an amoral, arse kicking, twin sword wielding bastard. As Vampires mostly should be :D

I have a vampire RP character too; he's neurotic, with a severe Napoleon complex due to his height, or lack of; he's a bit of a mysoginist (sp?) and has an attitude problem. XD And no, people don't automatically like him the second they meet him; in fact, most people's first impression is that he's a complete downer. :lol:

I loved that blog and comic strip; I must share the links with all!!! :lol:

RayvenQ
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Mine is mostly just a cold, empty shell of a thing, with little care for anything beyond his next feed. He'll also kill anyone who looks at him for too long in some rather interesting ways, but that rarely happens because he's awfully good at being unseen and he puts the shits up most people who see him :lol:

Hard to believe that another character of mine has reached his 11th real world birthday, He has an interesting history, as he should considering I've been plying him for, quite literally, half my life :lol:

Lace Neil Singer
08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Cool. XD I came up with mine after reading the Night World books, which pwn Twilight and all its sequels in so many ways.

A vegetarian vampire who goes all sparkly in the sun? What-ever... :rolleyes:

RayvenQ
08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
A quick overview of my oldest character.

First a street urchin, eventually ending up as Royal Gardener before becoming Captain of the Royal Guard then an advisor to the queen, had temporarily taken the place of King then became Head Mage until the kingdom was razed to the ground and is now currently wandering, investigating and eventually will kick the teeth out of whoever razed the kingdom, when he finds out that is.

He also had 2 wives, 3 children (all of whom died when the Kingdom fell) and an adopted sister and niece (and something of an extended family from them too)

Funnily enough, the Image I used for him, esentially looks like me except more handsomer and cooler (his face looks a hell of a lot like me despite me picking him all those years ago when I looked different)

Since I have played him so long, he really is me with magic powers and a cool sword :lol: I now have several swords but none anywhere near as cool as his.

As for my Vampire Character, I was inspired to make him after I heard the Evanescence song "Lies" He also has a few unique features, His fangs are behind his canines and fold up to the roof of his mouth when not in use plus he uses venom while feeding, not just one type of venom either but he's able to creatively alter what effects his venom has depending on the circumstances of its use.

BookstoreEscapee
08-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Haven't read it. Don't plan to. Avoided visiting my friend who unfortunately for him had to work the release party at Store2. I was going to, just to see him, but I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with a crowd of teenagers. I snuggled with Pablo and watched TV with my parents instead. Much more fun.

Lace Neil Singer
08-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Re: RayvenQ; mine also has a storyline, but not that extensive. XD He basically grew up in the slums of London in the 1600s. Three siblings were stillborn, three older ones went into service and his little sister died in a cholera outbreak, which he survived. When he was 13, his parents were killed by vampires. The only person who believed him, became his mentor and foster mother. She trained him to fight vampires, til she was killed by the same vampire family who killed his parents. He then went after them; eventually he found them, but things didn't go as planned; the head of the vampire clan made him into a vampire.

The mysoginy comes from the way he was brought up; the Napoleon complex comes from the fact that average height has gotten taller since he was made. XD His song would be Boulevard Of Broken Dreams; he's been married six times but all his wives refused the gift and died of old age. He's gotten over his wood sensitivity by killing two demons and draining all their blood. He can be a downer, but also very annoying to any self respecting female. XD

And yeah, he's a Night World style vampire, cuz I liked those books. Not a sparkly vampire to be seen. XD

Binky
10-28-2008, 01:15 AM
*MOD EDIT - I don't think we need 2 threads discussing the same book. Merging threads.

OK please tell me I am not the only person alive who does not think that this book/series is going to be the next harry potter?

Honestly I've read the first book and I'm not that impressed. I mean, if I had still been a teenager, then yeah maybe I would find all the lovy dovy mushie puppy love stuff in it really romantic and I would swoon over Edward. But honestly, I find it rather sickening :S

I don't know, maybe it's just a bit of a let down because the only reason I got it was because friends kept RAVING about how amazing it was. And even the check out chick said "this is the best book I've read in ages"

hrm yeah no, not impressed. Please tell me I'm not alone in this!

Soulstealer
10-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Well I've not read it and every time someone talks about it makes me want to read it even less. I'll stick to Pratchett, I finally got Nation through the library :D

BookstoreEscapee
10-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I haven't read it, I have no interest, but I did come across a rather hysterical synopsis, full of sarcasm and snark...I'll have to go find it.

brb. :D

Haha, found it (http://shinga.livejournal.com/478415.html)! (I don't remember if it was someone here who posted it or not.)

Severen13
10-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Ugh...I'm so sick of hearing about those stupid books and the even stupider movie that's coming out. I haven't read the books (and don't plan to) but I've read enough synopsis on various websites and blogs to know that Edward is a stalker and control freak, and Bella is a doormat.

Oh, and Stephenie Meyer is NOT the next J.K. Rowling.

Thank you and good night. :wave:

XCashier
10-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Haha, found it (http://shinga.livejournal.com/478415.html)! (I don't remember if it was someone here who posted it or not.)
:lol: Great summary! Admittedly, I haven't read any of the books, nor do I have any desire to. Everything I've heard about them reminds me of Flowers In The Attic: overhyped, badly written utter crap that every girl in school read because it was popular! :rolleyes:

You might like these critiques, too (WARNING: SPOILERS): http://shinyopals.livejournal.com/132461.html#cutid1
http://headtripcomics.comicgenesis.com/d/20080915.html

BookstoreEscapee
10-28-2008, 03:06 AM
:lol: Great summary! Admittedly, I haven't read any of the books, nor do I have any desire to. Everything I've heard about them reminds me of Flowers In The Attic: overhyped, badly written utter crap that every girl in school read because it was popular! :rolleyes:

Wherever I first saw it posted, the person who posted it said it was "not for fans"...I have a friend who reads them, and I was walking with her and another friend of hers; they're both fans, and I had absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation, because I'm too nice to say "you really like that crap?!"

I'll have to check those other sites out tomorrow.

/never read flowers in the attic, either

SnarkyPie
10-28-2008, 03:07 AM
I have read the books at the pleading of my friends (curse my inability to stop halfway through a series!), and all I can really say is that I like her writing style. Other than that, I found the plot to be pretty weak and the characters to be far too one-dimensional.

Sliceanddice
10-28-2008, 03:18 AM
im a hopeless romantic at hear, i own fairy tales, the vampire earth series, and the twilight books
but i dont even think harry potter is that great on the grand sceme of things, i still get glares for calling Ginny a whore.
but i like the series

Binky
10-28-2008, 04:28 AM
http://shinyopals.livejournal.com/132461.html#cutid1
http://headtripcomics.comicgenesis.com/d/20080915.html

HAHAHA I've only read the first book and now I know what will be happening in the others!

LOL funny shit! I love the cartoons!

Shards
10-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Oh, see I do believe it already HAS become the new Harry Potter/Eragon.

More specifically, it's become the newest in a long line of books that were sub-par but not truly terrible that have everyone raving at me ad nausiem about how amazing they are despite them being steaming piles of crap compared to the gold-plated gifts from god that most of my friends apparently read with the same titles.

JoitheArtist
10-28-2008, 05:14 AM
It's not just you. It's honestly not that great. There are issues with the character development, and the pacing is horrid.

That said: Meyers can actually write. Try her book The Host, it's much better than Twilight.

Evil Queen
10-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Okay, that synopsis that was linked here; hilarious. Well worth the read just to see Plot cry.

I'm more curious as to why this series is so popular? The entire WORLD can't be sheeple, can they??

Binky
10-28-2008, 07:57 AM
I have no idea. The first book is all gushy bull, and the girl going "who is me everyone likes me and all the guys want me" and then all gushing about how "in love" she is with the vampire.

it's really slow and BORING then it kind of picks up at the end. then dies.

the end!

AdminAssistant
10-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm glad that Harry Potter and Twilight and other such stuff has got kids reading. But, they aren't reading any classic literature - and therefore they think these books are "great".

We were discussing the play Anna in the Tropics in class one day, and I asked them if any of them had read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Nobody. Not ONE. And half of the class had a look of "Who's Tolstoy?" :runaway:

AnaKhouri
10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I have not read them (vampires + teenagers = Ana is not interested) but I flipped through and read snatches of the first one at work; the writing is execrable. I was floored by how awful it was. How did this ever get published without severe editing? :eek:

Lace Neil Singer
10-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Maybe Stephanie bribed the publishers. -.- It's the most awful pile of crap there is, the writing would not be out of place in a remedial class and Bella is the most disgusting, sickening Mary Sue in the world.

Girly
10-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, they aren't the best books, but if they have kids reading, they have kids reading. And really, if the kids love them so much, then what's the harm? I read them, and while I didn't think they were OMG AWESOME, they certainly were better than some other books I've read.

PS - Vampires don't GLITTER. I almost cried when that part came up. Not to mention the entire plot of the last book.

Evil Queen
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, what the hell was with the sparkly vampire? Is the writer trying to convert the entire world to "ooo, Shiney!" syndrome?

Oh, I know, maybe Twilight was self published?

Shards
10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I found excerpts online of the first few chapters, and I must say, the whole 'zero personality' thing people say about the male lead and his family struck me as very true. Then again, I only read the first few chapters before saying 'you know what, I don't like you, bite me.' and going back to minesweeper.

No pun intended.

XCashier
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
HAHAHA I've only read the first book and now I know what will be happening in the others!
:o Sorry, forgot to mention the spoilers. Fixed that post.

Yeah, I won't be wasting my time on this series. I hate Mary (http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm) Sue (http://firefox.org/news/articles/651/1/The-Original-Mary-Sue-Litmus-Test/Page1.html) characters, and Bella Swan is so blatantly obviously a Mary Sue it isn't funny.

Lace Neil Singer
10-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, they aren't the best books, but if they have kids reading, they have kids reading. And really, if the kids love them so much, then what's the harm? I read them, and while I didn't think they were OMG AWESOME, they certainly were better than some other books I've read.

So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight. I'd rather kids read decent books; and there are a lot of good children's and teen's books around; for example, I'd choose the Night World series for teens over Twilight; yup, there are vampires and werewolves in it; nope, they are not sparkly and perfect and sickly sweet. -.- There are also so many good fantasy and horror books out that there is no need whatsoever for kids to be reading the book equivilent of horse crap.

Hell, I'd even suggest that teens read Sweet Valley High over Twilight; at least the characters are more developed and well rounded. Jessica Wakefield acts like a bitch and gets her just desserts; Bella Swann acts like a bitch and gets rewarded. -__- I can't believe I'm saying this, as all the girls at my school who used to take the piss when I sat in at break reading LOTR read Sweet Valley High, but it's true.

Shards
10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight. I'd rather kids read decent books; and there are a lot of good children's and teen's books around;

I agree with LNS here.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see my friends reading Naruto books (As in, the crappy fully-printed material that was made because some people think they're too good to read the superior manga-format material.) Despite the semantics that annoy the living hell out of me (They're battle-mages, spellswords, sorcerers, ANYTHING, but a series in which the main character has spiky blond hair, an orange jumpsuit, and screams 'believe it' at the top of his lungs at every opportunity can not call it's characters ninjas. :soapbox:), it still has more characterization and personality in one molecule of any given side character than the entire Twilight series, from what I've seen.

(For the record, I like Naruto, but I've tried reading the "true Novel" format, and it is painful.)

Kat
10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I liked Twilight. :) But then again, I wasn't asked to write a thesis on Twilight. I wasn't reading it because I thought everybody else liked it (nor was I avoiding it because everyone else liked it ;)). I didn't pick it up because I thought a thought-provoking, compelling, turn-of-the-century social commentary sounded like a good book after teatime.

I just read Twilight for fun and - le gasp! - I had fun reading it.

Oh & that link in the 2nd/3rd post is funny as hell.

Shards
10-28-2008, 08:30 PM
*MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes.

I just read Twilight for fun and - le gasp! - I had fun reading it.

I read what I did for fun, not for literature. I just couldn't stomach the crap that it was spewing.

Then again, I'm the same guy who put Eldest down and vowed never to waste another second of my life on the Eragon series when I saw the sentance 'Elves are vegetarians.'

And also, I'm not exactly the target demographic. I'm a male, for one thing, and I get annoyed with people who act in any way shape or form like angsty emo bitches. I suppose there was no way I could have enjoyed the concept of a quasi-goth vampire romance with a stuck up tween bitch. :shrug:

Lace Neil Singer
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Guess what... I read for fun too. However, I like books that I read to be well written, have well rounded, believable characters that make me care what happens to them, and to have good, well formed storylines. Twilight fails on all three counts.

AdminAssistant
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I read Shakespeare for shits'n'giggles. :p

You want a good spooky story? Read Macbeth. Or Faust. Or Dr. Faustus.

Srsly.

Custard Chick
10-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I have to admit... I'm a Harry Potter and Twilight fanatic. *hangs head* I am properly ashamed, but I can't help but love them. It's the teenie-booper in me, after burning all my boy band CDs and posters the poor little thing needs an outlet somewhere!

But really, The Host (Stephanie Meyer's other book) is really really great if you're into sci-fi. Very interesting story. It took a minute for me to get into it, but about a quarter of the way through I couldn't put it down.

Binky
10-29-2008, 12:40 AM
actually. I never thought of how/why these books actually made it to print?

I once toyed with the idea of writing my own books (spose I still do) and went to a full on writers conference a while back. From what they were saying it takes a good 2-3 years to write a good book, writing and re-writing it and getting it proof read and all that stuff.

How on earth did this book get through all that and still make it to publishing? did she write it all in one night and decide, hell I like it! I'll do it alone????

Either way, yeah I think it's craptacular and I'm not even sure I can be bothered to pick it back up to finish it. And while I think kids should be reading something with ALOT more substance, better they read than go out kicking puppies ;) am I right?

Evil Queen
10-29-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm telling ya, the book had to be self published and self marketed. That's the only way it could have been done.

In the mean time, I'd like to meet the literary Agent Mrs. Meyers used. So I an yell at them.
My big break came in the form of an assistant at Writers House named Genevieve.
Now we know who to avoid and yell at.

Question! The apple on the cover; is that important? WTF?

Binky
10-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Question! The apple on the cover; is that important? WTF?

Forbidden fruit?

Evil Queen
10-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Oh man, that's :censored:. And lame. Very lame.

Girly
10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight.

Yes, because reading the Twilight books equates to kids going out and kicking puppies. Are you serious?

If my kids didn't want to read, but would read the Twilight books, I wouldn't care. I don't care that the characters are bland and not very believable. It's not going to hurt them, is it? Plus, they may like it, even though I didn't enjoy them very much. Who the hell am I to tell my kids what books they have to like, and what books they aren't allowed to like? These books were written as Young Adult for crying out loud, not Adult (sci) fiction, like her Host book, which is a completely different book, and much better, imo.

LewisLegion
10-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Personally, I think its definately Mary Sue twaddle, just as I believe Eragon is Marky Sam twaddle cliche'd fanfiction that got published just because the kid's family had moolah. My opinions. Anyone is welcome to read them all they want and it don't turn my hairs none.

What drives ME batty is how everyone is gushing frantically over them like they're dipped in gold, like the author did something that is SO OMG ORIGINAL U HAVE 2 READ OR U'R AN UBERLUZER!!!11!!!

They're so not original. Teenagers and vampires have been done a TRILLION times. Hell, without even thinking, Lost Boys and Buffy the Vampire Slayer spring instantly to mind. It's vamps and teens with a 90210 flair. Yawn.

Ljt09863
10-30-2008, 04:14 AM
so ive read only the first post in this topic. im not reading any further, because im on page 26, in the first book. i don't want to read anything that may spoil what i read.

so, when im done with the book, ill come back on here and give my full opinion.

but as of right now, 26 pages in, im not impressed. Harry Potter books, i absolutely love, and they grabbed me from the start.

this book, it isn't bad enough for me to stop reading, but i am curious to see how it goes.

Shards
10-30-2008, 04:16 AM
*MOD EDIT - Please edit quotes.
If my kids didn't want to read, but would read the Twilight books, I wouldn't care. I don't care that the characters are bland and not very believable. It's not going to hurt them, is it? Plus, they may like it, even though I didn't enjoy them very much. Who the hell am I to tell my kids what books they have to like, and what books they aren't allowed to like?

We're not saying they shouldn't be read, simply that they're overrated to such a degree that it is annoying.

We're giving an opinion we were asked for, not yelling 'burn all copies of the book'.

Can you honestly say there aren't books you believe your kids would learn better habits from or have a more pleasurable experience reading? Simply stating this among friend who were asking for your opinion does not in fact entail telling people what they can and cannot read.

Binky
10-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Kyle: "KICK THE BABY!"
Ike: "no kick the baby"
Kyle: "kick the baby!" *kicks Ike!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5Sx5aC5G0&feature=related
sorry but I couldn't resist. All this talk of kicking puppies and all.

An no I would never do it, but it just reminded me of this from south park:roll:

Lace Neil Singer
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
We're not saying they shouldn't be read, simply that they're overrated to such a degree that it is annoying.

We're giving an opinion we were asked for, not yelling 'burn all copies of the book'.

Can you honestly say there aren't books you believe your kids would learn better habits from or have a more pleasurable experience reading? Simply stating this among friend who were asking for your opinion does not in fact entail telling people what they can and cannot read.

What Shards said. Honestly Girly, if you are unable to accept that people have different opinions to you on this subject, then maybe it's best you withdraw from the topic. Not being nasty or anything, just that that are certain subjects that I personally can't discuss without getting into a lather, so I try and withdraw rather than turn the thread into a flame war that ends up getting locked.

Besides, my example was a similie, like telling someone they're eating like a bird. When we say that, we don't mean that they're actually eating worms and bread crusts. :lol: Maybe a better similie would be that Twilight is like Sunny Delight. Yes, it's marginally better than drinking endless fizzy drinks, but it's not really that healthy at all and kids would be better off drinking water or at the very least a sugar and additive free drink. ^^

Crow The Robot
10-30-2008, 02:48 PM
A vegetarian vampire?? I baught the book for $1.50 at a salvation army store and I didn't get past the first two chapters. I was also not a big fan of HP though it was the fangirl/boys who basically implied that you are "Like OMG yer illiterate" if you didn't read HP, the books were written decently. Twilight though, yech. Oh and Raven, I'd buy your book too it sounds interesting.

Evil Queen
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Do you know what the writing style for Twilight reminds me of? I was in a small used bookstore a couple weeks ago and picked up a book (no, I didn't buy it. I'm too smart for that) entitled "You Suck!"

How does it start?

"You killed me, you bitch! You suck!"

I know, wtf moment, right? The rest of the writing was horrible. I felt like hurting myself, yanking my poor eyeballs out of my sockets and feeding them to carrion birds.

CaroPhoenix
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Now I have to pull out my little vampire clan book that I started to write way back in 10th grade (Sophomore year) in High School! (This was right around the time that I read at least Interview with the Vampire and maybe The Vampire Lestat. This was also before I knew about other RPGs besides D&D and that Vampire and Werewolf were out by White Wolf (or thereabouts).

Zandra was a "creature of the night" who was born way back when in Palmyra (tribute to Bertrice Small who wrote Beloved a fictional account about Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra). Zandra was actually born a werewolf. When her new husband tried to kill her shortly after their wedding, something went wrong and she didn't exactly die. She was found & turned into a vampire but because of her werewolf blood, she wasn't completely vamp. And she found that not a lot of things could hurt her.

She only created 2 vampire "children". Back in the 1600's she created Alessandro who is neither vamp nor werewolf but is immortal and incredibly strong. And who went insane with this immense power he was given and the fact Zandra left him.

Her second child was Graham. She created him at the end of the 1800's. He was complete vamp (because of her vamp/werewolf-isms, I figured there'd be some interesting combination of whomever she chose to turn).

The story started in present day when she awakes from a car crash. She knows her name is Davieleigh Jones (Okay, I'm a Monkees fan & Leigh was because I liked it) only because she opened her wallet and saw her driver's license.

Coincidentally, she ends up in Cornerton, which not only is home to Alessandro and his gang of ragamuffins, but also to Graham who has found a home with an ancient vamp named Merlin.

Okay ... Yes, I know this is really bad, but if Twilight is as bad as some of you say it is, I think I could win the Nobel Prize in Literature with my story!

What do y'all think? :lol:

Girly
10-30-2008, 11:45 PM
What Shards said. Honestly Girly, if you are unable to accept that people have different opinions to you on this subject, then maybe it's best you withdraw from the topic. Not being nasty or anything, just that that are certain subjects that I personally can't discuss without getting into a lather, so I try and withdraw rather than turn the thread into a flame war that ends up getting locked.

Besides, my example was a similie, like telling someone they're eating like a bird. When we say that, we don't mean that they're actually eating worms and bread crusts. :lol: Maybe a better similie would be that Twilight is like Sunny Delight. Yes, it's marginally better than drinking endless fizzy drinks, but it's not really that healthy at all and kids would be better off drinking water or at the very least a sugar and additive free drink. ^^

I think I would be able to say the same to you, no? I have agreed the books aren't that good. I highly doubt that any of them will be winning a Pulitzer at any point in time.

My point is, however, that just because you think they suck, and kids should be reading ANYTHING instead of these books, someone, somewhere obviously likes them. You didn't like them? That's great. As a matter of fact, I think we actually agree they aren't the best things available, but I'm the one saying to let the kids read them if that's what they want to read. You're the one saying they should be reading anything other than these things they call books. God forbid someone actually LIKES the books... then what!

You are probably right though. We should agree to disagree, burn all the Twilight books so young adults (and some adults too) aren't exposed to the drivel, and make sure all vampire books published in the future meet your expectations, and approval to be published.

Ree
10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Whoah!
Calm the heck down people.

Use the report button and take it to PM.

We get enough of that from our customers. We don't need it here.

As for the back and forth on this, Girly is simply saying that the books may not be that great, but at least children are reading. She is entitled to that opinion, but as far as I can see, she has been told in no less that 3 posts that her opinion is wrong, then, when she has tried to defend that position, she has been accused of over-sensitivity and not being able to see another side.

Hello, pot? This is the kettle. Guess what?

So, if kids were going out kicking puppies rather than playing on their computer, it would be OK cuz "At least they're going out into the fresh air!"? That's my take on Twilight. I'd rather kids read decent books; and there are a lot of good children's and teen's books around;
I agree with LNS here.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see my friends reading Naruto books
Yes, because reading the Twilight books equates to kids going out and kicking puppies. Are you serious?

If my kids didn't want to read, but would read the Twilight books, I wouldn't care. I don't care that the characters are bland and not very believable. It's not going to hurt them, is it? Plus, they may like it, even though I didn't enjoy them very much. Who the hell am I to tell my kids what books they have to like, and what books they aren't allowed to like?

AnaKhouri
10-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Sheesh, that almost makes "My Immortal" look like decent writing.

Nothing can make "My Immortal" look good. NOTHING. :lol:

It hurts my feelings, really it does. I just looked at the site with quotes from the book. That got published, and I can't find a damn agent? I'm a better writer than she is, and that's not being snobbish, it's the truth. :o

But I figure if something is that popular, there must be something that attracts people to it. I suppose in this case it's this Edward guy- he's like OMGsohotandsensitiveandanassholetoboot! !!111!!

Evil Queen
10-31-2008, 01:30 PM
IDrinkaRum, if Twilight can be published, you'd be a freaking millionaire. :lol:

I agree Ana, you're a far better writer then Stephanie Meyers. But they, I'm trying to get published too. I think I suck but The SO think's I have a good thing going (and that's really saying something!) so I'm trying. Oh so hard.... :cry:

Becks
10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
From what I've heard, I don't think I'll go anywhere near that series.

I even managed to avoid reading the Harry Potter series.

Do I get a cookie or something?

Evil Queen
10-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes Becks. You get a cookie.

*gives cookies*

I will admit, I read all but the last Harry Potter book. It's an okay book, not something I would read over and over though.

minchazo
10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
I had an English teacher who forced us to read Jane Eyre and a similar Harlequin romance, and explain why one was classic and the other smut.

I've never been able to look at a romace book the same ever again.:) IMO, the first Twilight book (the only one I've read) is a Harlequin look-alike and I have similar opinions on both.

CaroPhoenix
10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
IDrinkaRum, if Twilight can be published, you'd be a freaking millionaire. :lol:

Hey! Thanks EQ for the words of encouragement! :p I think I'll go and start re-writing the story now. :roll:

Maybe we should all get together and write the ultimate vampire novel and see if it gets published then?

Evil Queen
10-31-2008, 04:40 PM
What do you think the story game was for? :p

But yeah, I'll bet if we all wrote a crappy YA Vampire Novel we'd all be rich millionaires. Agents would be cat fighting to be able to sell our books for us. :lol:

Lace Neil Singer
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
On another note; I plan to avoid the cinema like the plague when that movie comes out. -.-

Lace Neil Singer
10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Nothing can make "My Immortal" look good. NOTHING. :lol:

*cough*Celebrian*cough*

:angel:

Evil Queen
10-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Most Book to film adaptations such ass anyways.

Iron Man, however... that rocked hardcore. But that's a comic book.

Lace Neil Singer
10-31-2008, 10:22 PM
I haven't seen that yet; perhaps cuz I'm jaded over comic book movies now. If it's good, I'll have to see it. xD

Shangri-laschild
11-01-2008, 04:28 AM
I haven't seen that yet; perhaps cuz I'm jaded over comic book movies now. If it's good, I'll have to see it. xD

It was unbelievably awesome.

Aramika
11-01-2008, 05:06 AM
I borrowed the books from a friend because I didn't have another book lined up to read at the moment. I sorta-kinda like parts of certain books, but that may be because I'm 19. :p

However, the 4th book? WTF was she thinking with Renesseme? I could barely finish that one.

Also, the whole invulnerable to mind powers (Edward) thing? Alice and Jasper had mind-related powers. Why was she not invulnerable to them? And she was invulnerable to that little twin girl who was one of the Volturi guards. That was a physical power which should have affected her!

On second thought, maybe I didn't enjoy the series as much as I thought. :o

[EDIT] On more thing- vampires should not be glittery!

...... yeah, I'm really starting to not like the books now.

Shards
11-01-2008, 05:08 AM

Actually, almost all of the comic-to-bigscreen stuff this past year was excellet. Iron Man, the new Hulk movie (Which actually produced an ad that started, and I quote: 'Want to see a hulk movie that doesn't suck?"), The Dark Knight, etc. All of them have been pretty good.

Max Payne, the video game adaptation, wasn't bad, but it was mediocre in an annoying way, where many of the video game adaptations (Here I'm thinking Doom) have been mediocre in a funny way...

karath
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Heh...the last take on vampires that i saw on the big screen was spectacular *cough*underworld*cough*...but as soon as I heard the age of the vamps in this story, any desire to see it evaporated.

...and seriously, vampires who go all SPARKLY during the sunlight!? :cry:

CaroPhoenix
11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
What? I'm confused. Sparkly? Glittery? What the frell????

Please explain the concept to me! :)

Parrothead
11-01-2008, 01:38 PM
"You Suck!"

How does it start?

"You killed me, you bitch! You suck!"

"You Suck!" is a sequel to "Bloodsucking Fiends (http://www.chrismoore.com/fiends.html)" by Christopher Moore. It is a comedic take on vampirism. It wasn't ever meant to be taken seriously (hell, the second chapter in "You Suck" is talking about the guys last turd. He wanted it bronzed.)

If you want to read his stuff, you should start with "Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

Evil Queen
11-01-2008, 02:37 PM
What? I'm confused. Sparkly? Glittery? What the frell????

Please explain the concept to me! :)

It's like this, first a little demonstration.

*grabs Irv*

*dumps glitter all over Irv because, ya know, he likes glitter*

*shines a light on him*

This? This isn't supposed to happen to vampires. At all. Ever. Having fun there Irv?

SnarkyPie
11-01-2008, 03:17 PM
"You Suck!" is a sequel to "Bloodsucking Fiends (http://www.chrismoore.com/fiends.html)" by Christopher Moore. It is a comedic take on vampirism. It wasn't ever meant to be taken seriously (hell, the second chapter in "You Suck" is talking about the guys last turd. He wanted it bronzed.)

If you want to read his stuff, you should start with "Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

I read Lamb and loved it, but I had a hard time getting into any of Christopher Moore's other books. He does have a great sense of humor, however. Lamb reminded me a little of Good Omens (which I found hilarious as well) in the casual, sarcastic take it had on religion as a whole.

Evil Queen
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Lamb is a reminder of Good Omens, huh? I may have to pick it up now.

CaroPhoenix
11-01-2008, 04:51 PM
*kerblinks at EQ's demonstration*

*feels sorry for Irv even though he seems to like the glitter 'cos glitter is a ... ahem ... hard to get out of certain spots*

Bu ... wha ... that?? That is what the vamps do in Twilight? Tha ... that got published? No one in the editing department or whatever questioned that?

*runs away screaming, really considering pulling out that horrendous vamp clan novel and the equally horrendous vamp short story I wrote once, type it up, prettify it and get it sent out to agents & publishers*

Evil Queen
11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes. And the Vampire expects people to be.... AFRAID of a Glittery Vampire.

Too much Radiation, anyone?

CaroPhoenix
11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Are the peoples in the book really afraid of the Glittery Vampire? Or do they just fall over laughing?

ADoyle90815
11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I also have avoided that series, and it's hard to stay on some boards for very long because half of the threads in the section for books, TV and movies are about the Twilight books and movie. When I saw the trailer unexpectedly as it was shown before The Dark Knight, my reaction was :wtf: when I saw the glitter on Edward's face.

Lace Neil Singer
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Sounds as tho you'd expect him to suddenly start singing along to the Village People... O.o

(with no offence meant to anyone who either is gay or a fan of the Village people. ;))

PepperElf
11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
the only thing i dislike is that.... so many other authors are trying to copy the theme and do vampire romance series...

but eh... i can honestly say i've never read the series... i went with the audiobook version instead ;)

i wonder if the people in Forks are sick of it yet... ;) i'm thinking of moving to seattle and figure, when i can take the time, to swing by forks just to look around... even if i don't see a vegetarian vampire on the way, i'll probably enjoy a nice nature walk at least :)

('sides when i was in WA last i just *loved* the weather) :)

Binky
11-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I think if I saw a vampire all glittery I would fall over laughing till I cried!

Honestly? How could you be scared of a person covered in glitter?

Either way I decided to not finish the first book. It's sitting on my desk with the bookmark in it at home. I'll eventually put it on the shelf with all the other unfinished books I got over.

Lace Neil Singer
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe you could use it as kindling on Bonfire Night? :angel:

Dreamstalker
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I used to be of the belief that nobody sane could top the first Mary Sue character I came up with and get published in the mainstream. I now stand corrected. Even she was more plausible than Bella Swan.

I think I got through the first few pages before dropping the book in disgust (luckily I didn't actually pay for it; a friend at my old bookstore job passed me a review copy). I've seen various textual/stylistic/etc errors in galleys that do get fixed by release, but apparently that is not the case here.
I suppose in this case it's this Edward guy- he's like OMGsohotandsensitiveandanassholetoboot! !!111!!
See, that makes me think that Meyers is trying to borrow from Laurell K Hamilton...trying and failing miserably it seems. Chalk up another :wtf: for the glitter thing.

cinema guy
11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I think Jennie doesn't appreciate Twilight much either: http://www.thedevilspanties.com/d/20081103.html

You Suck isn't Christopher Moore's best. I love Bloodsucking Fiends, Island of the Sequined Love Nun and The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 03:00 AM
I think Jennie doesn't appreciate Twilight much either: http://www.thedevilspanties.com/d/20081103.html

I saw that today as well. I must admit, I laughed. Hardcore, I laughed.

I wonder if Jennie reads this forum very much?

Rapscallion
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Rarely. I run her other forum as well on the same server. When I send her scripts for the cartoons for here, I give her the URLs, so I guess she occasionally will visit.

Rapscallion

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I wonder what sort of sucky customer stories she has?

*ponders*

Hon'ya-chan
11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Never got into it. Never.

the only thing i dislike is that.... so many other authors are trying to copy the theme and do vampire romance series...

Half of the current bloody romance selection is about Vampire/Human or Werewolf/Human pairings!! (Paranormal Romance.....geh.) And that was even before Twilight got batshit insane popular.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 09:54 PM
When does the Spaghetti Monster get his 15 minutes of Glory??

CaroPhoenix
11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Oh, alright EQ, I'll get right on the Spaghetti Monster story I have cooking on the back burner! Don't get your knickers in a twist! :roll:

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 12:38 AM
yay! I have knickers!

YAY! IDaR is writing a story I demanded! :lol:

Severen13
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Twilight and/or Stephenie Meyer? (Wangsty emo teen vampires. Oooooo...so original.)

Jennifer Aniston whining about Angelina and Brad? (You've been divorced from him for years, Jenny. Get over it and move on, already!)

Britney? (Good grief, if I hear her name one more time.....)

Gossip Girl? (Rich pretty girls banging rich pretty boys. How deep.)

Lindsay? (She's bi. Big deal. Isn't there any real news happening somewhere?)

Any others I've left out?

Rapscallion
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Any others I've left out?

Politics.

Rapscallion

Shards
11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Naruto- Decent enough series in general, but any anime where the main character wears fluorescent orange, has blond spiky hair and screams at the top of his lungs at every opportunity is not allowed to use the term ninja.

And even if it was an excellent anime (Which it isn't), it still doesn't deserve to be the one thing every random fangirl who has ever seen an anime is capable of talking about.

For god's sake, I'm 18 years old and I'm already giving rants about appreciating the classics!

Akasa
11-12-2008, 05:21 PM
OMG Shards yes! Narutards drive me batty!

Greenday
11-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I am sick to death of that dumbass vampire Edward Cullen. It's ruining the facebook bumper stickers seeing half of them about him. He's a vampire. Wtf?

Jonas Brothers - Just like Edward Cullen, they can suck it too. They are also ruining the bumper sticker application.

Gravekeeper
11-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Never heard of it and it sounds like it was stitched together from the corpses of everything I hate into a single literary abomination.

CaroPhoenix
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I think it would have been better if it had been a parody of vampire books. (kinda like, "Bored of the Rings" was a parody of "Lord of the Rings" and the "Star Wreck" books are of course a parody of Star Trek). Maybe that's what needs to be done: A Parody.

depechemodefan
11-13-2008, 03:14 AM
First wait, Bella gets knocked up? does she die?

My two cents on literature and vampires.

Read great literature? Like War and Peace? I read it and had problems with some parts, like, wtf with the opera? And what happened to Boris? Though I have to laugh at Pierre's naiveity, like when one char. is trying to hint he should be greatful for a favor she did him (has to do with a will people are trying to hide) and Pierre is clueless. War and Peace isn't all cracked up to what people say. I read teen books. I like Scott Westerfeld's series, with Uglies, Pretties, etc. I read Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicolson series Just go with Dave the laugh, moron! But I enjoy it. Though the Princess Diaries series hit a nadar when Mia's 18 or 19 year old bf wanted sex with her, who is 16

Anyway, I don't remember if the YA librarians are gaga over Twilight. I don't know if I'll read it, I tend to read everything. Though I think Anne Rice's vampires have something attractive. Not glitter, but really white and shiny?

But if we are going to talk about vampire series that is crap, I would go with Anita Blake books. And yes, I know there will be many opinions that it's a great series, best paranormal series written. The first book Guilty Pleasures was interresting and I was getting into it. Until the attempted rape by a were rat (I think it was a wererat). And I realized the writer is going to introduce the audiance to a lot of fetish sex, or at least sex that will be borderline bestiality.

Then there are the romance/paranormal books. I read, by Harper Allen, Dressed to slay. Story begins with 3 triplet baby girls of a vampire slayer. One gets bit by a queen vampire and will become a vampire when she is older. No one keeps track of which baby was bitten :rolleyes: so the first book involves one sister freaking out that she will become a vampire. Oh, and she has a hunky werewolf who is watching her back incase she becomes a vampire. How much you want to bet they will be hitting the sheets, esp. since they hate each other?

Wow, who wants to bet all vampire romance stories start that way? With the intense hate? Then end with the earth shattering sex which is pretty mundane and in no way does anyone say "dick" but will say "manhood".

But then there is How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire. Funny start, about a millionaire vmapire who doesn't want to kill peoople. Another vampire invents a life like human size blow up doll that is biteable. Millionaire vampire loses tooth in doll's neck and goes to a 24 hour dentist. Woman dentist is hiding from the mob....stuff happens and even though the vampire has a harem of vamp women, he is a *gasp!* virgin, who wants to lose his virginity to his soul mate, the dentist.

I'm going to stick to Spuffy fanfic. And I learn more about sex from fanfic thne a Harliquin romance novel (at least fanfic doesn't use euphorisms for genitelia) Though I hate the char. bashing fanfics

Dreamstalker
11-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Half of the current bloody romance selection is about Vampire/Human or Werewolf/Human pairings!! (Paranormal Romance.....geh)
The book/game store used to have such a section. Around my third month of working there, it finally got through the owner's skull that most of our clientele wasn't interested in the stuff (LKH yes, but none of the imitators).

I wouldn't mind the werewolf/human pairings if it wasn't all so..syrupy (there was a running joke between myself and Cool Manager that the authors had a program that just added werewolves into a Harlequin manuscript). Cecelia Tan did a good job of it.

webchimp
11-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Another great comic parody over at Hijinks Ensue (http://hijinksensue.com/2008/11/12/30-days-of-twilight/)

Lace Neil Singer
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
OMG Shards yes! Narutards drive me batty!

The absolute worst tho are the Sasuke fangirls. I've actually had hate messages (which made me bust a gut laughing) cuz of my inferring that Sasuke bats for the other side in the Quizilla quiz I made. Well, it's obvious; any guy who turns down both Ino and Sakura has got to be gay. :lol: Not to mention all the time spent hanging around a creepy Michael Jackson look a like... O.o

I also tangled with a Twitard on another board who bitched at me, saying that Bella wasn't a Sue and she doesn't even know what a Sue is. However, she's been mod-chastised so I doubt I'll be hearing anything from her again. XD

Becks
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Then end with the earth shattering sex which is pretty mundane and in no way does anyone say "dick" but will say "manhood".

Meh. "Manroot" is funnier. :lol:

depechemodefan
11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Meh. "Manroot" is funnier. :lol:

Be funnier if it was called "sausage of love".

Shards
11-13-2008, 05:20 PM
The absolute worst tho are the Sasuke fangirls. I've actually had hate messages (which made me bust a gut laughing) cuz of my inferring that Sasuke bats for the other side in the Quizilla quiz I made. Well, it's obvious; any guy who turns down both Ino and Sakura has got to be gay. :lol: Not to mention all the time spent hanging around a creepy Michael Jackson look a like... O.o

I also tangled with a Twitard on another board who bitched at me, saying that Bella wasn't a Sue and she doesn't even know what a Sue is. However, she's been mod-chastised so I doubt I'll be hearing anything from her again. XD

I wouldn't say he's gay. Ino is cute, but never really becomes terribly attractive, and Sakura is just plain overrated. Plus, there's the whole, I dunno, you're-the-one-emo-kid-in-the-world-with-a-decent-reason-to-be thing. I mean, if your entire family was slaughtered in front of you by your brother, would you still be interested in bumping uglies with a couple of rabid fans?

I mean, he's not my favorite character, far from it, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's gay.

I once got a great moment to laugh my ass off at, though. This was about two years ago, in Chemistry class. We got our tests back from a couple days before, and mine was, as usual, a C. However, the other kids in my lab all knew I understood the material, since I had been helping them out with it over the course of the last few weeks during lab times. One of y buddies who sat near me, who is a Naruto fan, looks me right in the eye and said "Shards, do you watch Naruto?" "No... The anime was made for children and they added in way too many filler episodes that never appeared in the original manga. I read the manga." "Well, either way, do you know who Shikimaru is?" "Yes." "You remind me of him. You're so damn smart but you just don't give a damn." "Sounds about right, I suppose."

I ended up laughing my ass off at that, because Shikimaru has always been my favorite Naruto character. Followed closely by Neji.

Becks
11-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Be funnier if it was called "sausage of love".

Good point, but I've actually *seen* "manroot" in print.

More than once. :blink:

CaroPhoenix
11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
"Manroot" is usually in historical romances 'cos it's more in "keeping with the times" of the story. :rolleyes: Yeah, just call it what it is. However, I (really hope) don't believe it's the authors putting in "manroot" but the editors or whomever is in charge of word changes so they don't hurt the sensibilities of the readers.

Evil Queen
11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Another great comic parody over at Hijinks Ensue (http://hijinksensue.com/2008/11/12/30-days-of-twilight/)

Haha! That's great!

Becks
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
"Manroot" is usually in historical romances 'cos it's more in "keeping with the times" of the story. :rolleyes: Yeah, just call it what it is. However, I (really hope) don't believe it's the authors putting in "manroot" but the editors or whomever is in charge of word changes so they don't hurt the sensibilities of the readers.

Interesting. I've only seen the word (phrase?) in one trilogy, and I ready a lot of historical romances.

Some of the funniest stuff ever written, let me tell you.

Dreamstalker
11-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I also tangled with a Twitard on another board who bitched at me, saying that Bella wasn't a Sue and she doesn't even know what a Sue is.
Bella didn't know what a Sue was (so she can read a fictional character's mind, eh?), or the Twitard (love that word, btw) didn't? Either way, hard to say you're not X if one has all the traits...

Lace Neil Singer
11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Bella didn't know what a Sue was (so she can read a fictional character's mind, eh?), or the Twitard (love that word, btw) didn't? Either way, hard to say you're not X if one has all the traits...

XD The Twitard didn't. I told her what a Mary Sue was, in detail; and she then went back to her denials that Bella was a Sue. Can't reason with those who have closed minds... :/

XCashier
11-23-2008, 05:48 PM
XD The Twitard didn't. I told her what a Mary Sue was, in detail; and she then went back to her denials that Bella was a Sue. Can't reason with those who have closed minds... :/
Did you show her the Mary Sue Litmus Test (http://firefox.org/news/articles/651/1/The-Original-Mary-Sue-Litmus-Test/Page1.html)?

RayvenQ
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I saw the book yesterday a I was browsing my local book shop (In the Sci Fi section no less!) I recoiled in horror, then I did something which may earn me the ire of bookstore employees on here...

I turned all the front Twilight books the wrong way round.

Lace Neil Singer
11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Did you show her the Mary Sue Litmus Test (http://firefox.org/news/articles/651/1/The-Original-Mary-Sue-Litmus-Test/Page1.html)?

Sure did. XD That was the basis of my argument. :lol:

Well, I saw the book yesterday a I was browsing my local book shop (In the Sci Fi section no less!) I recoiled in horror, then I did something which may earn me the ire of bookstore employees on here...

I turned all the front Twilight books the wrong way round.

You are a hero. :D

RayvenQ
11-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I still feel bad though since someone will end up having to turn them the right way round.

I think they'd forgive me though.

RetailWorkhorse
11-24-2008, 02:51 AM

*Grabs his Character, Maru, and puts him to the test*

Rules he breaks:

Does the character have more than one name? (i.e. a nickname or a pseudonym that other characters use to refer to the character)[1]

The Dog Damned

Is the character the same gender as you?[1]

Yes.

Is the character from the same racial group as you?[1]

German-Japanese. So, kinda. That counts as Yes.

Is the character a teenager or in her/his early twenties?[1]

Yes. 23, I believe.

Do animals (especially fuzzy ones) instinctively like the character?[2]

Dogs. Yes.

Score of 6. 0-14 Developed character, unlikely MS.

I feel validated. :roll:

Dreamstalker
11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
My character used to break a huge number of rules, before the rest of my muses confronted her.

It's been said by one of the creators that in the Ghostbusters universe, none of the good guys can ever actually die (not immortal so much as there's always some way out), so...

> 6. Is she introduced to the reader in the first chapter? (TWO POINTS
> if it's the first paragraph)

Presently, yes because I'm not sure how to shuffle things otherwise.

> 13. Does she have a job or profession that you have or would someday
> like to have?

Besides being a Ghostbuster? Yes (computer tech).

> 18. Does she become a member or an honorary member of the
> Ghostbusters?

Eventually, yes. Say half a point for this one.

> 23. Does she go on busts with the others?

When needed, not all the time. She definitely couldn't use a proton pack perfectly on the first try (luckily there was no serious damage).

> 24. Does she spend more time at the firehall than Janine?

Not intended to, but she does end up living there for a few days. Say yes for the fic in question.

> 25. (5 POINTS) Does she save one or more Ghostbusters from certain
> death, damnation, and/or demonic possession, OR vice versa?

She does have a hand in it, but ultimately Ray saves everyone's butts. (I'm not sure if that could be counted as the 'vice versa' part). I would say no.

> 1-10 Probably just fine, but keep an eye on things. Note: I would
> consider the Soap series to be in this range, so you may still have
> a good story on your hands! Just tread carefully...

5 1/2 points. It would be 3 1/2 if not for my answer to #6, that is being worked on (I'm trying to keep this beast under 100 pages, which is why I did what I did with that).

SorryIsGoodEnough
11-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Cookies and love and all that to whoever can point out the irony in this screenshot I took today.

RetailWorkhorse
11-24-2008, 04:58 AM
......Twilight sucks!! with the advertisement right above it.

Oh my dog.

Kiwi
11-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I thought it would be the DUDE who wrote it

strange I thought Stephanie was a girls name:D

SorryIsGoodEnough
11-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Made me chuckle. Here's your cookies and love. *hands you tangible, edible proof of cookies and love*

Shangri-laschild
12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
So has anyone seen the movie yet for amusement value? I'm planning on finding a safe way for Kaetchen and I to see it while slightly under the influence of alcohol (only slightly) just for giggles.

snackbandit
12-01-2008, 11:53 PM
The Twilight series makes me RAAAAAGGGEEEEEEE more than anything else, but Breaking Dawn in the worst of the worst.

Breaking Dawn is something like this: I'm Bella, and I'm perfect, and I'm married. Then, my new husband is so violent during sex that I pass out. Then I'm preggers with my hellspawn child, who drinks my blood and breaks my bones and oh no I won't get an abortion and what the hell vampires are dead they can't have kids lol wut? Oh noes I am having mah baby, Edward has to USE HIS TEETH to rip my demonspawn out of me. Then I am a vampire and there is supposed to be a climax but nothing really happens and this dude who had a crush on me is now a pedophile because he's 'imprinted' on my baby, who will, btw, grow up in like 4 years. Also, my baby has magical special powers, and she charms and enchants everyone who sees her, kinda like me! And nothing bad will ever happen again because I am rich and beautiful and immortal and have absolutely NO VULNERABILITIES THAT A VAMPIRE SHOULD HAVE except that I am an idiot.

snackbandit
12-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Check this out, folks...

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/234/5/6/Breaking_Dawn_In_a_Nutshell_by_Gigglish.png

it is especially lulzy

Thuringwethyl
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
In the past weekend I had to watch the movie “Twilight” twice. Pity me.

The guy I’m dating suggested the movie because he “knew I liked fantasy stuff and it’s about vampires.” He sounded so proud of himself I couldn’t say no. And then my best friend got upset because she wanted to make fun of it with me; so I ended up seeing it twice. At full price, mind you.

I propose a drinking game to help anyone else who gets blackmailed into seeing it: every time someone stares soulfully/darkly/ angtsily/etc. have a sip of the drink of your choice. Have a shot every time someone comments on some (flattering) physical trait of Bella’s.
You will get drunk – I tried to count how many times either Bella or Edward stared at each other and I lost count after 26 times in the first 15 minutes.

The kicker? Both the guy I’m dating and my best friend’s boyfried LOVED the movie. My friend and I are reconsidering our choices in men.

aqutalion
12-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I haven't read the books, and don't plan to. The effect it seems to have on its fans is enough to turn me off. It's worse than Harry Potter in that respect. Another site I frequent seems to be stuffed to the gills with Twilight fans, and it's getting to be impossible to find roleplays that don't involve it... Heavens to Murgatroid on a stick, it makes me want to strangle them (or at least lock them in a room with some good fantasy books until they see the error of their ways).

Amethyst Hunter
12-02-2008, 04:08 AM
In the past weekend I had to watch the movie “Twilight” twice. Both the guy I’m dating and my best friend’s boyfried LOVED the movie. My friend and I are reconsidering our choices in men.

My sincerest condolences. :(

I think a recent episode of South Park summed up the whole Twi-tarded craze quite nicely: "If you smoke and drink a really, really lot of coffee and just hate life, you're a goth kid. But if you wear black and sparkles and drink lame vegetable juice, then you're just a stupid douchebag wannabe vampire boner!" (paraphrased to the best of my memory) :lol:

Evil Queen
12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
I so need to watch that South Park episode now.

Broom, please don't kill me for my bad taste in TV. But you have to understand, I hate Twilight, so this should rank right up there with the crap they did for High School Musical or, god help us, the WoW episode. <3

AnqeiicDemise
12-02-2008, 05:21 AM
If I were to name one reason why my friend broke up with me, I'd say "TWILIGHT"...

Mostly because she took the damned books so fucking seriously -- like it was a fucking omen of things to come. I just started tuning her out and at one point I said 'He who goes looking for signs finds them, even if they're not entirely there."

Bah. Seriously. FUCKING EH!

Broomjockey
12-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Broom, please don't kill me for my bad taste in TV.

Wait, what? Is this because of my Yahoo screen name? DAMNIT. I just had this conversation with someone, that I was afraid people would mistake it for associated with this. I picked up that screen name years ago. It's based off a passage in the "Sword of Truth" series, when Kahlan talks about many of the races in the Midlands being considered "Twilight beings."

Also, I'd just lucked out and stumbled in to the thread now, next time, you might wanna point me at a thread you're talking to me in, if I've not posted in it. :p

Lace Neil Singer
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Check this out, folks...

*hilarious Twitard cartoon*

it is especially lulzy

Haha that is gold. XD

Here's a kicker; even Enid Blyton characters are more realistic than Twilight characters! :lol: I spend far too much time thinking about stuff.

RayvenQ
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Haha that is gold. XD

Here's a kicker; even Enid Blyton characters are more realistic than Twilight characters! :lol: I spend far too much time thinking about stuff.

Hell, even Space Marines are more realistic, they may be genetically engineered giant super soldiers, but at least they don't sparkle!

Yes, that pretty much is my argument against Twilight, things not sparkling, then again, I don't really want to waste my time actually looking into the series.

Severen13
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I finally caved and bought the first book. So far I have to say that I'm (a) just a tad bit underwhelmed, and (b) bored out of my fucking skull.

Seriously, this book has cured insomnia. I read about five or six pages a night and I'm out like a broken light bulb.

I'm giving it until the end of the week to actually have *something happen* before I drop-kick the damn thing out the window.

PhotoChick
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I really wanted to know what this is all about so I put it on hold at the library online. Yeah, if its as bad as everyone says I don't want to shell out money for it, or even drive to the library.

Lace Neil Singer
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm giving it until the end of the week to actually have *something happen* before I drop-kick the damn thing out the window.

For greater lulz, do this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bEtyhVomOH0 Particularly if there are Twitards present. :angel:

Oh yeah, and read: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Twilight (NSFW!)

AnqeiicDemise
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I just wiki'd the damned series and all I can say is :

::stands there, mouth agape, brows furrowed and her hands up in the air.::

Seriously, that's what the books are about?

OMG

Isabella "Bella" Swan.... That's the biggest Mary Sue name I've ever seen! And and.. she goes from being the 'weakest player and a pawn' to 'queen'.

That is.. omg.. it.. reeks of fanfiction ripoffs.

*I* have better books in the works and it just sucks because their working titles are now forever STAINED with the Twitard movement. (Yeah, the title for the first of the series was Twilight. Now I have to rename it.)

Dreamstalker
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Ugh, so in theory, I share a name with an extreme Mary Sue :runaway: ACK!

*considers begging everyone I know to call me by my character name until this fad has blown over*
The guy I’m dating suggested the movie because he “knew I liked fantasy stuff and it’s about vampires.”
Apparently, in some TV universe or other, glittery vampires do exist. Can't remember the series someone mentioned though. My dad and I convinced one of our relatives that it's not worth seeing; her daughter had tried and failed, but we managed to do it. Not sure why.

Everyone in my GBRPG group hates Twilight as well for various reasons (Mary Sue-ness, lack of development, overall horrendous writing, etc). Heh, I think I just came up with a new scenario idea for the next session or so...two of the characters despise vampires of any type, so there we go :devil:

Severen13
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
OMG

Isabella "Bella" Swan.... That's the biggest Mary Sue name I've ever seen!

Isn't that the truth. I have visions of Stephenie Meyer physically restraining herself from naming her heroine SparklePrincess Honeydew Glitterwing. :lol:

Evil Queen
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Isn't that the truth. I have visions of Stephenie Meyer physically restraining herself from naming her heroine SparklePrincess Honeydew Glitterwing. :lol:

Gah! Don't give her any ideas! :runaway:

Though I heard from a pretty reliable source that "The Host" was actually well written and had good plot. I wonder why that's not popular yet the Twilight book is?

AnqeiicDemise
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Its like.. the gods took all our mockering of that one horrible HP fanfic and decided to punish us by giving it life in the name of Twilight.

Seriously.

Wait.. NO!.. I think I just gave them another horrible idea to punish us with.

Lace Neil Singer
12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Its like.. the gods took all our mockering of that one horrible HP fanfic and decided to punish us by giving it life in the name of Twilight.

This is so Bella if she was in Hogwarts.

http://piratemonkeysinc.com/ms1.htm

Evil Queen
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
You forgot Harry's girlfriend. :yes:

Kiwi
12-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Im sure SM wrote the first story when she was 13 then just re-edited it when she was at BYU

I cant believe that someone with an English Lit degree could write that load of trollop! It smacks of the novel writing machines from 1984..... pick syrupy sweet lead female character name, pick cliche plot, pick quiet small town, pick impossibly perfect hero = twillight

your cullen me Stephanie.... your cullen me:D

Salted Grump
12-03-2008, 01:21 AM
A very well-thought out and intelligent rant about exactly how much Twilight Epicly Sucks.

http://twilightsucks.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=twilight&action=display&thread=638&page=1#11943

Feel free to read through it if you want.

It's me
12-03-2008, 01:52 AM
My son HAD to see the movie. He actually liked the book. Why, I don't know, it's not like he hasn't read piles of real books. So I went with him. Sunday afternoon, theatre was not crowded. Most clumps of girls with a few guys.... kinda funny actually.

Now, as to the movie...

Let's see: sparkly vampires that climb trees like squirrels.... what's not to like? :D

Looks like Laurell Hamilton and William Mark Simmons have nothing to worry about. Except for some bizzare reason their books haven't been made into movies...

AnqeiicDemise
12-03-2008, 04:40 AM
It just dawned on me..

Twilight = real life, PG-13 version of Peterotica.

It is stupid, badly written and you can't help but wonder HOW the hell did it become so popular?!

RetailWorkhorse
12-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Oh yeah, and read: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Twilight (NSFW!)

Whoa, whoa, wait.....

....there is no Rule 34 for this yet?

Oh, wait.......just another second.......

NOW there's a Rule 34 for this hunkajunk. Who's gonna be brave enough to go find it?

Rapscallion
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Though I heard from a pretty reliable source that "The Host" was actually well written and had good plot. I wonder why that's not popular yet the Twilight book is?

There's a phrase made famous by PT Barnum that could easily explain it.

Rapscallion

Salted Grump
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Salted Grump, I just spent like, 45 minutes at that website. If it weren't for the itty bitty text and my need to go to bed, I'd spend more time there tonight. :) Thanks for the link!

I found it due to the kind nutcases over at Tv Tropes. Aka; the timekiller (I can Spend all day there, and still only scratch the surface)

Lace Neil Singer
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
That link rules. XD I also found this pic:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1479/pdsoazs0.png

I read somewhere that Stephanie made Jacob a creepy pedo (I agree thoroughly with Arzim; the imprinting thing is mega creeptastic and smacks of grooming for child abuse) cuz she was angry that a lot of fans prefered Jacob over Edward. O_o

Buglady
12-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Several of my Pathfinders (Girl Guides) are reading the Twilight series... I tried, but GOD, it was too awful. I didn't get far enough to really comment on the story (although it was not promising...), it was the horrible flat writing that did me in. And the writer should also be brought up on charges of thesaurus abuse! (Lots of fantasy authors are guilty of that, though. Tad Williams, I am looking in your direction...)

I am trying to get some GOOD books together for the girls to read. I have suggested Mercedes Lackey's "Arrows of the Queen" to start, and Madeline L'Engle's "Swiftly Tilting Planet." I'm hunting up secondhand copies of all the young adult books I remember liking (tricky, because I was an advanced reader, but somewhat naive; the Pathfinders are way more worldly than I was, but don't really seem to be strong readers).

I'm reading the Earthsea series now - I somehow missed it as a teen, don't know how that happened, my mom is a huge Le Guin fan! - and I'm definitely going to recommend it for them.

Evil Queen
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I promise as a fantasy writer, I will not abuse the Thesaurus. It's had enough abuse as it is.

*comforts Thesaurus*

If you haven't read it yet, I was a massive fan of Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld books. They're funny and properly drawn out -- remember, the writer is English.

CaroPhoenix
12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I like the "Incarnations of Immortality" by Piers Anthony myself.

I also like Sci-Fi.

Now, I'm going to be writing short stories starring my loverly vampies. Or I could just pull out my stories about Pertpetua the flying pink cloud.

RayvenQ
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
*Points IDR to 40K Novels*

Those are great if you want a read where the future is quite the reverse of perfect.

Lace Neil Singer
12-04-2008, 07:02 PM
The Earthsea series is brilliant; I always loved the books as a child and recently I found them in one volume in a charity shop and just had to buy them in order to read them again. ^^ I would also strongly recommend The Dark Is Rising Sequence; absolutely brilliant storywriting with compelling characters.

CaroPhoenix
12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
*Points IDR to 40K Novels*

Those are great if you want a read where the future is quite the reverse of perfect.

I haven't read those ... yet. The comics are entertaining though. :D

I've read the Eberron books. Too wordy for me. Not that I'm looking for nothing but dialogue, but 2 pages of the main character sitting on a ledge wondering what's going on? Yeah ... so boring.

RayvenQ
12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I didn't know any Warhammer 40,000 comics had been made :lol:

CaroPhoenix
12-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I didn't know any Warhammer 40,000 comics had been made :lol:

I can't remember who does them, but yeah, there are Warhammer 40K and Fantasy Warhammer comics. There's also the Blood Bowl comics too. :D I love the Blood Bowl ones the best! :)

I love off-the-beaten-road comics (all the ones from Zenescope and Dynamite is awesome too). Now I just have to convince my mother that reading comics is just as great as reading War and Peace or something (like my mother will admit to that, but then again, she doesn't read anything - not sure how she spawned me, but anyway ... :p)

RayvenQ
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't remember who does them, but yeah, there are Warhammer 40K and Fantasy Warhammer comics. There's also the Blood Bowl comics too. :D I love the Blood Bowl ones the best! :)

I love off-the-beaten-road comics (all the ones from Zenescope and Dynamite is awesome too). Now I just have to convince my mother that reading comics is just as great as reading War and Peace or something (like my mother will admit to that, but then again, she doesn't read anything - not sure how she spawned me, but anyway ... :p)

If you want to pick a book to read, try the Ciaphas Cain Omnibus, It's a brillant and slightly hilarious omnibus.

Why?

Well, the Main character, Cain, is a Commissar, a bastion of courage and steadfastness, wouldn't you say? Well, Ciaphas Cain is a total coward who has the unfortunate enough luck to always being called the hero and having things turn out in ways that make himself look (accidentally) heroic, despite that he's only ever concerned with saving his skin.

Rapscallion
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I like the "Incarnations of Immortality" by Piers Anthony myself.

Some of them were excellent, especially On a Pale Horse. Bearing an Hourglass was ... lacking. Numbers six and seven were somewhat forced. Generally speaking, good reading.

Rapscallion

Lace Neil Singer
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd recommend the Xanth books, but they're a bit too advanced for 13 year olds; 16+ will like them, tho. Also the Phaze books.

CaroPhoenix
12-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Some of them were excellent, especially On a Pale Horse. Bearing an Hourglass was ... lacking. Numbers six and seven were somewhat forced. Generally speaking, good reading.

Rapscallion

*squishes Raps*

OMG!!! Someone who agrees with me about books 6 & 7! YAY!

Severen13
12-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Well, after fighting the good fight and making it to page 227 of "Twilight", I am throwing in the towel. The juvenile writing style, the endless descriptions of the awesomeness that goes by the name of Edward Cullen, Bella's incessant whining and stupidity, and the fact that the book is MIND-NUMBINGLY BORING makes me realize that I need to stop before the last shreds of my sanity slip away.

On the plus side, this book helped my insomnia. Seriously folks, I'm not joking here. Reading five pages a night for the last week or two knocked me out cold and I was able to catch up on my sleep. I thought about keeping the book around a while longer to help me sleep, but I'm afraid I'll end up in a coma if I read any more.

RetailWorkhorse
12-05-2008, 03:48 AM
I have no desire to waste money on this book, but somehow I have to get my hands on it in order to find out what the frack is so great about it.

Anyone want to loan me theirs before they burn it?

Evil Queen
12-05-2008, 06:23 AM
RW, I have the PDF of the book. I'll e-mail it to you if you want.

AnqeiicDemise
12-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I loved 'A Wrinkle In Time' by Madeline L'Engle so much, I still have the yellow-paged paperback copy I swiped from my 5th grade teacher....

And I read it once every two months. ^.^

ShinyGreenApple
12-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I got hold of a PDF of Twilight and actually got through it. I kind of feel like my IQ has dropped a wee bit, but at least I know what I'm criticizing now. I still can't understand how this is 'amazing' as so many fangirls/boys claim it is. I thought it was mind-numbingly boring and very poorly written. It kind of reads like one long, monotonous high school blog entry. Not to mention that Bella is a whiny, ungrateful little bitch. Sorry, but there's no other way to put it. Real people. Do. Not. Act. Like. This! I'll stick with Bram Stoker and Kouta Hirano, thanks. :runaway:

*ponders on how amusing it might be to feed Edward to Alucard . . . .*

And, for your horror/amusement - 'Amazing boooooooook-uh' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-turfrcQY-w)

Kiwi
12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
And, for your horror/amusement - 'Amazing boooooooook-uh' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-turfrcQY-w)

good lord she looks like an ogre!!!!!

Evil Queen
12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
So, what exactly was her bitching about? I mean, other then calling everyone stupid "turds".

Jeebus, how low do you have to be to sink to that level where you use language like that?

Rapscallion
12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Video keeps freezing and losing sound for me. The bits I saw were hysterical for all the wrong reasons.

Rapscallion

ShinyGreenApple
12-05-2008, 07:14 PM
So, what exactly was her bitching about? I mean, other then calling everyone stupid "turds".

I'm kind of gathering she was an unholy level of pissed off because many, many Twifans have dared to dislike and even utterly abhor Breaking Dawn. And from what I've heard, they have very good reason for the way they feel. Apparently it's 'selfish' because we're not all happy happy joy joy for Bella, who, by the way, this person doesn't seem to realize is not a real person :confused:

It's kind of funny, but I sincerely hope that this woman is only doing this as one big parody and will one day come out and admit it. She always posts her videos' stats in the description, so either it's an honest to gosh parody, or she really is this batshit and loopy . . .

RayvenQ
12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I still can't understand how this is 'amazing' as so
many fangirls/boys claim it is.

Not to mention that Bella is a whiny, ungrateful little bitch.

There you go, it's amazing to them because they see so much of themselves in it.

Buglady
12-06-2008, 04:26 AM
I liked the Incarnations of Immortality, but went a bit off Piers Anthony after reading Bio of a Space Tyrant and some short stories that were deeply, deeply gross. (Torture =/=sexy. EVAR).

Rapscallion
12-06-2008, 05:21 AM
What amuses me is that Shrek-girl seems to think she can persuade people that she's right and the books are 'awesome' by insulting them.

Must admit, Bio of a Space Tyrant was irritating. Quite a few concepts in there that were over the edge, and the real clincher for me was that if you had read his author's notes in other books about his life then you knew quite a bit of the story already.

Rapscallion

Dreamstalker
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I recently ran across an advance copy of New Moon that somebody gave me (I think it was a well-meaning friend at the bookstore who thought I'm "into vampires").

Holy Hastur is it awful. I got through maybe three pages before giving up in disgust. If it wasn't an ARC I could put it in the stack for the used bookstore...let's see, who do I really not like that I could anonymously send it to?

Lace Neil Singer
12-06-2008, 03:03 PM
The next person who sends you a chain email? XD

Bella Swan = Stephanie Meyer. She is such an obvious self insert that it's not even funny any more.

A mate of mine used to love Twilight, but now hates it with as much venom as I do, cuz of what Stephanie did to Jacob; ie, turned him into Pedobear. -.-

XCashier
12-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Here's an interesting review (http://www.echidnamagazine.com/?p=158) of the Twilight movie. Funnily enough, the movie is apparently better than the book...not that it would be that difficult.

RetailWorkhorse
12-07-2008, 07:22 AM
The beginning, the Prologue, starts out reminding me of how Luise (was that his name?) felt about LeStat. By the end of the two paragraphs, I miss my porn collection.

Seven pages to get from Phoenix to Forks. Forken Forks. F-Or-Kah. Fork. Forky-Fork-Fork.

Moving on.

Page 10 and there is very little dialog. Lots and LOTS of.....prose. About the scenery. Which should sound nice, but I'm not getting any type of mental picture at all. Failure in that respect.

Also Page 10, proof that Isabella Swan is clumsy. Good for you, sweetie.

Oh-oh, she spotted the Pretty People! ........why is she still going on about the Pretty People? ....Oh. Vampires. Dur. It's the Cullens. Who picked the names for these people? Oh. Right. Her.

Moving on.

HOW can "Edward", "Emmett", "Rosalie" and "Jasper" be strange unpopular names?!

Page 15 and she's cried....twice now? I dunno, I'm skimming through.

I can't do this. I quit. I'm erasing my harddrive, for that is where the PDF of this book is, and BURNING it. My god. My eyeballs are in pain. Brain cells. Dieing. Agony. Defeat. Ow.

I made it the first sentence of chapter 2.

Go me.

Excuse me, but I have to throw up now.

Salted Grump
12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I recommend about 50 gallons of brain Bleach, and a flamethrower. As the line goes; KILL IT WITH FIRE!

One thing that really bent my bolts about the Twilight series in general was that the 'Vampires' have no weaknessess as compared to 'classic' Vampires; about the only thing that can kill one is a Tactical nuclear strike to the face, and even that's iffy with all the Insipid Dross gushing from the Author's Wordhole every time a 'vampire that sparkles' shows up.

Frankly, if the series is based on 'Mormon beliefs' et al, (Like what's-her-face 'claims' it is) I'll eat my own head.

Broomjockey
12-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I recommend about 50 gallons of brain Bleach, and a flamethrower. As the line goes; KILL IT WITH FIRE!
<snip>
about the only thing that can kill one is a Tactical nuclear strike to the face,

That's why I've preferred "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

RayvenQ
12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
That's why I've preferred "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

I vote exterminatus, nothing like killing all life on a planet, decomposing it into flammable gas and then setting it on fire so that the planet is scoured clean by an inferno to get rid of taint.

Evil Queen
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah but were do the good people (the CS posters) go?

RayvenQ
12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah but were do the good people (the CS posters) go?

Well, we give them warning before hand so they have enough time to get the hell away :lol:

Lace Neil Singer
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Better yet, someone should invent a bomb that only destroys the Twilight books and everything to do with Twilight. :angel: It would be as if it had never existed.

Evil Queen
12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Time machine? Go back in time and hit her Editor in the head with a salmon.

Lace Neil Singer
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
:lol: Or persuade Meyer to get a Fictionpress account instead. The flames she'd receive for her piece of crap work would soon put her off writing. XD

PhotoChick
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
If anyone has PDF of any/all the books they want to share, please PM me. I'm "renting" it from my local library as an ebook but I can only read it on my computer not on my ipod like i want to.

Evil Queen
12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
PhotoChick, Check your inbox. :)

Kheldarson
12-07-2008, 10:32 PM
:lol: Or persuade Meyer to get a Fictionpress account instead. The flames she'd receive for her piece of crap work would soon put her off writing. XD

Or start her down a path where she's convinced no one understands her writing...

Dreamstalker
12-08-2008, 01:17 AM
That could backfire...think about it, she may try even harder :eek:

Evil Queen
12-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Or force her to learn to actually.. write?

Broomjockey
12-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Or force her to learn to actually.. write?

And while we're in magical fairy land, I'd like $10,000, a beautiful girlfriend, and a job where I never deal with idiots. :angel:

Evil Queen
12-08-2008, 01:52 AM
And while we're in magical fairy land

Do you have your Magickal Faeryland passport? :D

Broomjockey
12-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Of course I do. I never leave without it.

Amethyst Hunter
12-08-2008, 05:34 AM

Better yet, direct her to that cesspool of all dregs, the infamous Fanfiction.net**. Guaranteed she'd get enough reviews to stroke her ego and keep her safely confined there instead of inflicting her sparkly Sue angst-vamps on the world. ;)

(** = I don't really hate FF.net all that much - hell I post there. But you have to sift through an awful lot of crap to get to the good stories that do exist there, and the bad stuff tends to get more attention than the good.)

Lace Neil Singer
12-08-2008, 10:46 AM
She'd have to write fanfic tho to be allowed to post there; that's why I suggested Fictionpress instead. XD

This LJ group I belong to calls FF.net "The Pit Of Voles". :lol:

snackbandit
12-09-2008, 04:46 AM
RW, I have the PDF of the book. I'll e-mail it to you if you want.

Can you send it to me too? My friends are all like, "You can't say you hate it if you haven't read it!", but I'm not going to spend my monies on that crap.

Evil Queen
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Can you send it to me too? My friends are all like, "You can't say you hate it if you haven't read it!", but I'm not going to spend my monies on that crap.

Sure. Just PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send it along.

But you've been warned. It's... ugh.

Thuringwethyl
12-10-2008, 12:24 AM
...I want my 121 minutes back. I just saw the movie and it's like all kinds of WTFery. Seriously? The scene where Edward shows Bella that he "sparkles" in the sunlight? I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF THE ENTIRE TIME...

It was... INSIPID. Oh, and Jacob is Sharkboy from that kids' movie "Sharkboy and Lavagirl".

See? See?! I told you! I told you all!! Why is this utterly wretched, simpering, pseudo-teenybob romance-wannabe vampire-canon-raping series so popular? I can't get away from the madness -- it's following me! *crawls shuddering to a corner, pulls out Hellboy graphic novels*

Lace Neil Singer
12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
It's basically Mills & Boon with vampires tacked on; and there are lots of people who like those. O.o

With any luck, the craze will die down in a few months and then all we have to do is brace ourselves for the next one...

Lace Neil Singer
12-13-2008, 08:19 PM
PS; sorry to doublepost, but I kept getting the swirly dots of DOOM when I tried to edit. -_-

http://www.cracked.com/article_16878_if-twilight-was-10-time-shorter-100-times-more-honest.html

Major lulz.

derangedperson
12-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Behold the wisdom of Chester A. Bum:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/2741-twilight

A review of Twilight that hits every nail on the head.

Lace Neil Singer
12-14-2008, 12:47 AM

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/2741-twilight

:lol::lol::lol: That was so full of win.

XCashier
12-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Another movie review, this one from the one and only Mr. Cranky (http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/twilight)!

RetailWorkhorse
12-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Another movie review, this one from the one and only Mr. Cranky (http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/twilight)!

Okay, who wants to go with me to do that "Twilight Liver Destroyer Challenge"? I gets tha feeling I won't last 15 minutes, so I'll need someone to drive me home.

Or I can spend money on that new Keanu Reeves flick.

AnqeiicDemise
12-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Oh! Oh! I DO!

Now we need designated wheel chair pushers.

Evil Queen
12-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I dunno. It sounds like we would run out of booze before the movie even hits the halfway point.

And you guys know me, I keep a shitload of alcohol in the house.

Did I mention that Roommate R thought the movie was "Awesome"? Yeah, I forwarded him a PDF of the book. I doubt he's read it yet.

RetailWorkhorse
12-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Did I mention that Roommate R thought the movie was "Awesome"? Yeah, I forwarded him a PDF of the book. I doubt he's read it yet.

Co-Worker N (he's back for the Christmas rush! YAY!) loved the movie, too. Hasn't read the books yet. I told him they were very flat.

Evil Queen
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
The SO and I are actually going to wait until Riff Tracks come out for it before we watch it. That way, we all can mock it as we're watching it.

I'll have a report in 2-3 months.

Crow The Robot
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM

People in Egypt know you're a vampire you don't hide it very well!

God that was hilarious.

Shangri-laschild
12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.twilightguy.com/2008/06/17/twilightguys-report-mr-and-mrs-cullen/

Someone tearing apart the book
http://psa.blastmagazine.com/2008/08/16/twilight-sucks-and-not-in-a-good-way/

And the response to all the negative feedback because of tearing apart the book
http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1174491.html?thread=185828059#t185828059

Writter's response and explanation on how to write a good book.
http://psa.blastmagazine.com/2008/08/23/twilight-a-follow-up-and-a-promise/

Rapscallion
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to work out if there are any fans of the works involved here in the CS community. Anyone want to defend it? I'm not talking all-out fratching, but I can't believe that nobody's really said anything in its defence.

Rapscallion

Kheldarson
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
There's an anti-twilight group on Facebook. They tried to defend it. The question simply was, "Yes, we all hate it, but what can we find good about it?" They had nothing. The whole series is vapid.

Evil Queen
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm trying to work out if there are any fans of the works involved here in the CS community. Anyone want to defend it? I'm not talking all-out fratching, but I can't believe that nobody's really said anything in its defence.

Rapscallion

Lupo liked the books. I keep telling her she needs to stop in and talk about it with us but she refuses.

I think the reason why no one will defend it now is a previous poster had come in saying the book was great, another said they didn't like it, and so a disagreement ensured -- it was weird, like a one sided flame that went nowhere. I can't remember the poster's name (the one that liked it) and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Amina516
12-15-2008, 11:02 PM
So, I saw the movie and I actually liked it. So did DH.

So I am now debating buying the books to read, though I already know what happens ( I looked up their synopsis' b/c I couldnt stand not knowing what happened.)

So i might like them. I dont know yet. :angel:

Evil Queen
12-15-2008, 11:32 PM
PM Me your e-mail and I'll send you a PDF.

CaroPhoenix
12-16-2008, 12:01 AM
At least the males vampires aren't interchangeable with other authors' vampires. (*glares daggers at Laurell K. Hamilton and her Anne Rice-like males vampies).

Shangri-laschild
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Rapscallion

I told EvilQueen that if you can turn off your brain, the way you do for those really dumb comedies, and if you can ignore the fact that tons of impressionable young girls are going to read these and be convinced that obsessive jealousy is actually romantic, it's not too bad of a book. Those are two big ifs though. I've only read the first one so far though. It really is best read with your brain turned off though.

Edit: Oh yeah,and this quote is going to have me giggling all day long from how odd it is
Well, Gran, yon might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something he does in the sun. Don't worry about it…

Edit: So my sergeant's 13 year old daughter has been reading the books and she (my sergeant) and I were talking about the books and I said I'd send her some links about them. Recommendations on which would best describe them? I'm planning on sending Shinga's stuff (the synopsis of the chapters and the comics). Any other thoughts?

depechemodefan
12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I made $10 off of a Twilight book, more at the end.

I work at a library. I normally do reference work, but we had a shit load of trucks full of books that had holds on them. Takes 3 days for books to come from another library in the system to be put out for pick up. There were books on the trucks that have been there for 3 weeks. This is why I took time to get the books ready for pick up (note, it's a complicated process, so I won't explain it). I noticed Twilightitself has about 200+ holds on it (and we have 134 of the books, not counting the paperbacks). Wow, that is a lot, I thought.

Then I saw this book, The Twilight companion : the complete unauthorized guide to the series. Hey, I thought, it will be like cliff notes, and I don't have to read the series. It seems I knew more about the series than the author. She mostly talked about Vampires and Werewolves in mythology, and what is a modern teen to do with a vampire bf. This stuff I had to laugh about:

P 3

Now, I don’t know may girls who leave home to live with fathers they don’t know just to give their remarried mothers space, but Bella is special. (Is the author being ironic?)

P31

Of course, who wants to climb corporate ladders? Personally, I’d much rather have love. This makes me (and possible you) different from feminist women who desire primarily to achieve their career goals. (OP note, it's a bit out of context, though I just had to add this).

P 35

As you become more experienced with the daily six-hour beauty preparation, try dabbing a little blue on your lisp and face for that extra-drained look.

P37.

On the upside, your engagement ring will probably be many hundreds of years old and really cool looking.

So I got a paperback copy of Twilight (which some retard spilled coolaid on).
1) I think the author is trying to show a teen like she is really like. Self-absorbed. Actually, that's the only personality trait Bella has. Even I can remember classmates names.
2) Why the fuck didn't she tell the other vampires (Alice and Jacob) that the bad vampire had her mom? It's not like he could hear her once she hung up the phone. And didn't she want to use herself as bait before?
3) Why would Edward and the others decide to go to school? I suppose they have to have something to do, and it's best to be around people so people arn't just an abstract to them. But don't these vampires graduate h.s.? There's no university there (though who knows if there is a 2 year college), so what are they going to do? Take a job at McD's?
4) Ok, honestly, Bella is too absorbed on how pretty Edward is. Shut up. Though I suppose that is the point, that she can't help but be absorbed in him.
5) Ok, I do think it's hot how Edward sniffs her and goes all ga-ga. I don't know why, but, eh, maybe it's the 13 year old in me.

In general, it's not bad, but I think all the hype makes me want to criticize it. Maybe I should apply the Harry Potter defense: It gets kids to read.
I don't plan to read 2 or 3 (though I'm kind of interrested in Jacob the werewolf), but I need to read Breaking Dawn because Jacob becoming imprinted on the baby sounds worlds of bad fanfic.

Ok, how I made money off of Eclipse. The librarians read books for prizes in the Summer. Most of the time I read Buffy the Vampire Slayer books, but other books not vampire related. Though the Summer of '07 I did read a Laurie Hamilton's Anita Blake book (hated it) and a vampire romance book (Dead is the New Black). One of the co-workers who organizes the Summer Reading club for the librarians probably noticed I read a lot of vampire books. So in my goody sack was Lady and the Vamp and Eclipse. I read Lady and the Vamp (hated it) and just ignored Eclipse. Until I noticed there were 200+ holds on the book. So I decided to sell it on ebay and luckily I got $10 for it. Yeah!

Lace Neil Singer
12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
My main concern about the book is how abusive and controlling it shows Edward/Bella to be... and how it might get kids to read, but it also might get teenage girls stuck in abusive relationships cuz Edward acts like that so it must be OK! [sarcasm off] Plus the Jacob=Pedobear bit is seriously creepy.

Amina516
12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, so..i just finished the PDF Twlight that I was sent by EQ.(Thanks, BTW)

Now, I saw the movie over Thanksgiving and really (surprisingly) liked it. I really only went to see that movie to have something to do Thanksgiving night and nothing else playing even caught my eye.

I get the book Monday and read over half of it at once. If I hadnt have had to stop to study, I wouldve finished the whole thing in just a few hours. It was a very easy read.

And...*drumroll please* I really, really liked the book.

I will now be buying the set of four to read over my christmas break to give me something to do. lol

Forgive me, all? :)

depechemodefan
12-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok, so..i just finished the PDF Twlight that I was sent by EQ.(Thanks, BTW)

Now, I saw the movie over Thanksgiving and really (surprisingly) liked it. I really only went to see that movie to have something to do Thanksgiving night and nothing else playing even caught my eye.

I get the book Monday and read over half of it at once. If I hadnt have had to stop to study, I wouldve finished the whole thing in just a few hours. It was a very easy read.

And...*drumroll please* I really, really liked the book.

I will now be buying the set of four to read over my christmas break to give me something to do. lol

Forgive me, all? :)

Ok, until book 4. If you like that...oh, hell, I love Spuffy, I have no leg to stand on.

Today I decided to flip through Breaking Dawn (which makes me think of bad things happening to Dawn Summers) and damn it, no discriptive sex. Though Edward going all nuts over Bella the morning after, hee.

You know, the weird baby being born reminds me of Anne Rice's Mayfair(?) Mayflower (?) Mayfuck (?) series. With the witches and the freaking...uh, race of beings. The fact that share less DNA than a fruit fly shows Anne Rice should not write SF. Also, fucking crazy series. Talk about incest...

Oh yeah, and read: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Twilight (NSFW!) Ok, now I have a new favorite site. So there is really incest with Jacob and Alice?

RetailWorkhorse
12-18-2008, 04:02 AM
I absolutely wouldn't compare it to Harry Potter, of which I am a HUGE almost obsessive fan.

That reminds me.... in the series, Harry and Draco pretty much obsessed about each other (which is probably why there's so many fanfiction about those two hooking up in some way). In the last book, nothing. Not a peep. What in the world happened? It's like that particular set of plot-flutters were just cut off and ignored.

persephone
12-18-2008, 05:20 AM

Hi. My name is Persephone and I like Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. Have not seen the movie nor have I read Breaking Dawn. I don't think it's the best book ever written, but I enjoy them for what they are.

But do you really think I'm going to jump into something that goes on for post after post after post saying how much it sucks? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don't want to like it, that's fine. But I just didn't see reason to throw oil on fire and play the troll. :p

But yes, I actually really enjoy the books. They're easy reads and they're fun. But, like I said, to each their own.

(And no, this does not make me a stupid snivelling fan like some of the teenage girls, nor does this make me stupid or an idiot. :p Just means I have a different opinion that some of the other people on the boards.)

Amethyst Hunter
12-18-2008, 06:18 AM
You know, the weird baby being born reminds me of Anne Rice's Mayfair(?) Mayflower (?) Mayfuck (?) series. With the witches and the freaking...uh, race of beings. The fact that share less DNA than a fruit fly shows Anne Rice should not write SF. Also, fucking crazy series. Talk about incest...

Mayfair. I read The Witching Hour once. Gah, was that a long (and mostly) boring book...

Anne Rice just should not write, period. The ONLY book of hers that I've ever liked was The Mummy. Everything else she's done has just sucked. Although I've only read some of the vampire chronicles; just wasn't impressed by them to want to bother any more with the rest of her stuff.

depechemodefan
12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Mayfair. I read The Witching Hour once. Gah, was that a long (and mostly) boring book...

Anne Rice just should not write, period. The ONLY book of hers that I've ever liked was The Mummy.

I like her erotic Sleeping Beauty books (well, the first 2). And Exit to Eden. Oh, and Belinda though that is a really trashy book. But The Mummy, while ok, kind of ticks me off when Ramseys goes to a dinner party and he talks about aspirin (but like in it's original form) and people look at him because aspirin exists and so there must be something supernatural about him. And I kind of doubt the real Ramsey looked like an Anglo, with blue eyes (ok, I will go with the potion giving blue eyes), in real life. Oh, and Cleopatra, in real life, wasn't movie star pretty. Ok, must be the potion.

Hi. My name is Persephone and I like Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. Have not seen the movie nor have I read Breaking Dawn. I don't think it's the best book ever written, but I enjoy them for what they are. :wave: I'm glad you like them.

Becks
12-19-2008, 01:57 AM
I like her erotic Sleeping Beauty books (well, the first 2).

I read all 3. Borrowed them from a coworker. (A few of us took turns reading them.)

I can't understand why they thought they were *good*.

depechemodefan
12-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I read all 3. Borrowed them from a coworker. (A few of us took turns reading them.)

I can't understand why they thought they were *good*.
porn=good. Though the last book showed AR ran out of ideas. It's not literary classical reading, but since this was before fanfic on the internet, I enjoyed it.

I got lot a crap load of Twilight bookmarks (it's the pic from the movie). Maybe I'll sell the lot on ebay. Oh, and why in that pic of Edward in the movie, he is so white? He's wax white. He might be the defintion of white for Tudor England or Victorian England (and other societies that believe in the white) but this is not attractive. Granted, I just see some pics. Maybe in the movie he isn't as white as a corpse brought up from middle of a lake.

Becks
12-19-2008, 04:20 AM
porn=good. Though the last book showed AR ran out of ideas. It's not literary classical reading, but since this was before fanfic on the internet, I enjoyed it.

They were OK, IMO. Just not as good as I expected, having heard from the ones that read them before me.

Or maybe I'm into different porn. :shrug: