PDA

View Full Version : Excuuuuuussse me? (My other pet peeve)

MoonChild2007
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I work at a call center and whenever I say something or explain something, does it bother anyone else that the customer says in a snobby, rude, with so much
attitude "excuuuuse me?" Its like what the hell did I say that was so wrong?
I always say "I'm sorry" whenever I miss something a customer says but maybe its me but "excuse me" is borderline rude except when its said when somebody is in my way :lol:

But yeah, I hate that.

Fenrus
09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I seriously thought I was the only person who said "I'm sorry?" when I didn't catch something someone had said! I always hear "WHAT?!" or "Excuse me" in that real snobby tone.

smileyeagle1021
09-06-2008, 12:04 PM
no Fenrus you're not the only one that says "i'm sorry"... but sadly you also aren't the only one who always hear people rudely saying "what"

DistantStar
09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
*joins the crowd*

bainsidhe
09-07-2008, 04:53 AM
I once had a customer ask me something and I responded, "What?" She made a face and told me she haaates it when her kids say "Whut". She wasn't being rude exactly, so I just passed it off as conversation. I laughed and said, "Oh, escuse me then". She shakes her head and tells me she can't stand that either. I'm like, "Uh...pardon?". She tells me that's better. I mean, WTF :confused:

Caveat Emptor
09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
My junior UG year I was contracted in ROTC in college, and we were readying to go on exercises for the weekend. I was put "in charge" that night. I was being run so ragged that when the Captain who was in overall charge of us third years said my name, I said "What??" :shitfan::doh:

CPT: "what?! WHAT!?!??! Is that how you respond to me!?!?"

Me: (wishing I could crawl in a hole and die) Sorry, sir!!

greek_jester
09-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm partially deaf, & due to being a vain twit when I was younger, I don't have a hearing aid, & I need to go & get my hearing checked up the hospital again if I want an NHS-funded aid. :doh: Needless to say, I say 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' on a frequent basis. I avoid using 'what?' due to the number of times my mum clipped me round the ear for using it!

clod75
09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't work at a call center, but I see your point. The meaning is gathered by the inflection of the tone and can seem rude.

At my work, I use the *head tilt, eyebrows up quizzical like* "Sorry? I didn't catch that" and for added effect I cup my ear :lol:

Becks
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I avoid using 'what?' due to the number of times my mum clipped me round the ear for using it!

No offense, but that can't have helped your hearing problem very much.

greek_jester
09-10-2008, 08:05 AM
No offense, but that can't have helped your hearing problem very much.

It's a non-operable defect I was born with. The 'clipping' was more of a sharp flick to back of the earlobe, kind of the way some twits flick peanuts at people off of a table. Doesn't do any damage but stings for a few seconds.

Becks
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
It's a non-operable defect I was born with. The 'clipping' was more of a sharp flick to back of the earlobe, kind of the way some twits flick peanuts at people off of a table. Doesn't do any damage but stings for a few seconds.

Oh. Well, then.

I know how that goes. I've had it inflicted upon me, and I have done the same to my nephews.

Arshtat
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I seriously thought I was the only person who said "I'm sorry?" when I didn't catch something someone had said! I always hear "WHAT?!" or "Excuse me" in that real snobby tone.

I always say "I'm sorry?" I've gotten so used to saying it, I think I even use it with my family now. Heh ;)

cinema guy
09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I always say, "I'm sorry." too. My Mum tells me I should say "Pardon" because I shouldn't be apologising.

I got a new hearing aid today. It's awesome, it even works with the phone. :D

Greek Jester, don't put it off, don't be vain about it, and when you get it don't give up on it. It will improve your quality of life tremendously. It can take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.

KiaKat
09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Problem is, if you wait too long to get it, then it's nearly impossible for your ears to adjust.

My grandfather had that problem.

I have hearing loss in both ears (probably congenital, but possibly due to ear infections and a concussion as a child), but because it's mostly not the physical structure of the ear that is affected, just the brain's ability to interpret the signals correctly, a hearing aid won't work for me. Turns out the tendency runs in my mother's family.

I tend to just say 'I'm sorry, I have a slight hearing problem, could you please repeat that' or 'I'm sorry I didn't catch that' when I miss something.

greek_jester
09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Greek Jester, don't put it off, don't be vain about it, and when you get it don't give up on it. It will improve your quality of life tremendously. It can take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.

Believe me, I'm longing for it. Unfortunately I've got some other (slightly more pressing) health issues which mean I'm taking a lot of time off work lately, & I don't want to put my long-suffering boss (who's been pretty nice about it, & even described a couple of procedures he's had to go through before to settle my nerves) through the hassle of trying to get someone to cover for me. :(

Plus at some point next year I'm going to be off for about a month with a wrist op (carpal tunnel) so I might see if I can get an appointment somewhere in the middle of recovery where I can (within limited boundaries e.g. pushing a button) use my hand but aren't quite up to doing up my bra or driving (necessities for getting to work).