PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 CS Christmas Card List - Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JuniorMintz
09-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Hello All!

I'm off to a bit of a late start this year, but it is time for me to start accepting sign ups for our annual Christmas Card Exchange.

If you plan to join, please send me your name/screen name, mailing address (including the country), AND
email address via PM. DO NOT POST YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD!

You MUST send complete information or you will NOT be added to the list. Please pay careful attention to this detail, because I get way too many incomplete sign ups and it totally kills my brain. :cry:

Please read the following rules carefully and if you have a question that is not addressed in this post, feel free to ask and I will help you the best that I can.

1. If you sign up, you must be prepared to send a card to every member on the list. If you fail to do so you will not be allowed to join the following year.

2. No E-Cards. Store bought or homemade are dandy.

3. You can send whatever type holiday cards you wish-Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solistice, Generic "Holiday" cards- I don't care. All I care is that you send FRIENDLY cards. Also, anyone who complains to me about receiving a friendly card that for whatever reason offends their personal beliefs (generic example: a Christian upset about getting a Hanukkah card) will be shown one of these :salmon: )

4. You MUST join by October 24. No late sign ups will be accepted so if you miss out, tough noogies. I have tried to be lenient about this but it has not worked out even once.

Thank you!

TEST

Ree
09-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Thank you so much for taking this on again this year.

I know what a headache it is. I know you will receive numerous PM's with people forgetting to give their email address, or with them assuming you know what country they are from and won't include it in their address, or even others who will forget some vital part of their address.

It's inevitable. It seems to happen every year.

So, guys, if you want to participate, please read the instructions carefully to minimize the headaches.

Also, last year's average for signups vs. actual cards received was pretty darned dismal.

We seemed to have had a major post office crisis, as at least 3 different members reported that they found out long after the fact that their cards had simply been held at the post office for some reason or another, and were not actually sent out, or the cards were simply lost at the post office in limbo somewhere.

We had another member who posted about making homemade cards and gave progress reports, but in the end, not one member received a single card from that end, with no apology or explanation.

We had still another member who, for about the third year in a row, made a huge production out of ensuring their name was on the list, but once again failed to deliver on a single card.

Then we had those who just signed up and didn't participate, but didn't even offer any excuse.

That really irks me in light of the fact that there was one member who had suffered a tremendous family tragedy and loss, but still managed to mail out every single card.

So, guys, if you sign up, do everyone the courtesy of sending out your cards as promised.

It can be a little pricey for cards and postage, depending on how many people participate, so keep that in mind. It's not really fair to sign up and then bugger off while receiving a whole lot of cards sent out by the others who followed through on the commitment.

And now that I have finished my lecture, I am off to send my PM to Juniormintz.

ThePhoneGoddess
09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Last year, after Christmas, I cut out all the unusual and foreign (Not US) stamps from the envelopes and sent them to my Mother for her stamp collection. She was especially excited about the stamps from South Africa and Eastern Europe. So this year she's already asked me---are you gonna get lots of foreign cards again? *hopeful look* :lol:

I'm working full time and taking 12 college credits, so I don't know yet if I will have time. :(

But thank you to everyone who sent me Christmas cards last year!

TEST

Monica
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I signed up again this year. I really had fun doing it last year. I will be looking for some awesome cards this year, and hopefully be able to get some cool stamps.

Spiffy McMoron
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
So this year she's already asked me---are you gonna get lots of foreign cards again? *hopeful look* :lol:

Well, I can guarentee that she'll get at least one postage stamp from Canada. :)

AdminAssistant
09-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Along with this, would someone experienced in such things like to give advice to those of us who've never shipped a letter overseas? I know the postage will cost more....Advice?

test

Spiffy McMoron
09-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Along with this, would someone experienced in such things like to give advice to those of us who've never shipped a letter overseas? I know the postage will cost more....Advice?

1) Make sure the address is written correctly on the card, including the country you're sending to.

2) Get the correct number of stamps (Seriously. It's a pain running out of stamps)

3) Double check on the cost using these websites:

US Postal Service (http://ircalc.usps.gov/)

Canada Post (http://www.canadapost.ca/Personal/Tools/RC/Canada.aspx)

Royal Mail (http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc)

Plaidman
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I felt bad for not sending any out a few years ago. I hadn't signed up since. I will however do this.

Camry178
09-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Last year was my first time participating and it was very exciting receiving all the different cards. (my son enjoyed the snowman's poop :lol:)

I bought enough stamps from the post office for cards going within the US and then anything going overseas I just took with me to the post office and let them price it out for me. Hope that helps.

morgana
09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh, Lordy, is it that time again already? :lol:

I bought enough stamps from the post office for cards going within the US and then anything going overseas I just took with me to the post office and let them price it out for me. Hope that helps.

This is what I did, too.

Thanks for doing this again, JM. I'll have my info in shortly.

Kiwi
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
4th year on the cards list

4th address to send the cards to

my name shouldnt be kiwi it should be "gypsy"

cant wait to have all the cards string up on my wall again

Aramika
09-09-2008, 04:25 AM
I haven't done this before since I wasn't on the site last Christmas so I have a quick question: how many people usually sign up? I'd like to know so I can have an idea if I will have the funds and time needed - I don't want to sign up and then not be able to do it.

JuniorMintz
09-09-2008, 04:30 AM
It varies from year to year, I usually budget about $40-50 American for the cards and postage.

I plan to post every week or so a list of the people I received sign ups from. Please check back into this thread frequently for these updates.

Also, another reminder: I need your name, mailing address (including country), AND your email addresses when you sign up.

Thank you!

SengaKitty
09-09-2008, 04:37 AM
I did this a couple years back, and joined up last year, unfortunately things happened, and I did post an apology... Again guys I am sorry my cards didn't go out last year *hides* BUT I already have my cards for this year, and AS SOON as I get the addresses, I'm going to sit down, address all the envelopes, and get them sent out, as NOW I'll have cash on hand to do so :) Plus, Michael and I will look forward to the cards with all the stuff going on this year, especially around that time, it will keep our year bright. And a BIG THANK YOU to JuniorMintz for taking this on AGAIN :) You're AWESOME :) <3 Off to send my PM with yet another new address *laugh*

cinema guy
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
If you aren't in the US, the majority of cards go to the US. There were about 50 last year, so I spend 20-30 on postage, so it isn't cheap.

But getting loads of cards from all over the world was great. I'm certainly going to sign up again. And Jnr Mintz does a great job of organising it.

MystyGlyttyr
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Question...since I'm more likely to receive cards from my work address than my home address (our local post office is a bunch of crack monkies, I don't even go to them to mail friendly letters), would that be all right to use? Short of a major happening within the next few months, I'll probably still be here for the foreseeable future.

Edit: I'll still be sure to get mine mailed out through the reputable office, no worries there. I just don't want to say I didn't get anyone's card when I did and the post office lady's dog ate it (has happened!).

JuniorMintz
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Work addresses or PO Boxes are fine. :)

MystyGlyttyr
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Cool beans, PM sent! Hopefully correctly!

marty
09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh my. I must do this. Now my made-out-of-boredom holiday collage cards can have homes!

Ree
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Cool!! I love homemade cards.

I will probably be making mine again.

anniesbar
09-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Since I work 3 jobs I need to get started now -- I have a strange question -- do we sign with real names or screen names only? I might invest in some address lables with screenname if need be. ;-) (yep, I'm lazy!!!!!)

Lioness Blackfire
09-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Oooh! I'll absolutely have to do this, if I can convince my slightly paranoid father to allow me to give out our address like that. I've been dying to do something arts-n-craftsy lately.

To the crafts store! :D

Ree
09-11-2008, 04:52 AM
I have a strange question -- do we sign with real names or screen names only? It's probably better for the post office if we use real names in the addresses, but I sign my card with both my real and screen name.

if I can convince my slightly paranoid father to allow me to give out our address like that. We've been doing this for quite a few years now and haven't had any problems yet.

Lioness Blackfire
09-11-2008, 05:18 AM
We've been doing this for quite a few years now and haven't had any problems yet.

I'll be sure to mention that to him! :yes:

Boggles
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, I'll give this a shot o have sent my details in.

Now, I better get on the phone to my stationary wholesaler to get some cards in.

Reyneth
09-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Yay! I barely missed signing up last year and regretted it. I already have cards bought! I can't wait to decorate my work cube with cool cards from cool people here. :D

iradney
09-12-2008, 06:30 AM
I won't be making cards - I have ZERO artistic ability... :(

Kiwi
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I have artistic ability

im just LAZY

ive made cards twice, once they were very cool but I spent hours upon hours on them

2 years ago I made very simple cards and they still took me yonks!!!

last year I went the lazy route and just brought the damn things and did them on my lunch break, I WILL be the first to get them out this year though (I think I was third last year)

Im starting to look for the cards already and as soon as I get the address I will be racing :P
ohhh isnt it sad that I get competitive over christmas cards!!

AdminAssistant
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
It's probably better for the post office if we use real names in the addresses

Oh, so USPS might think it's strange to mail letters to an Evil Queen, a Jester, a RetailWorkhorse, a Juwl? :lol:

Lil Bunny
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
So I have a question.

So many of you guys are talking such creative projects. LOL is it ok just to send a plain ole card? I don't want someone to take the huge time to do something special and then look at mine like "Oh..."

And on a happy note I can save money on the lot of you Omerhawians. ;)

Becks
09-12-2008, 02:24 PM
is it ok just to send a plain ole card?

Of course.

When I've been part of this, I sent plain, store bought cards. I don't think anyone was disappointed.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, so USPS might think it's strange to mail letters to an Evil Queen, a Jester, a RetailWorkhorse, a Juwl? :lol:

Or an I.P Freleigh, even. :lol:

I used the poster's real name on the envelope and their CS name inside the card.

BookstoreEscapee
09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Or an I.P Freleigh, even. :lol:

I used the poster's real name on the envelope and their CS name inside the card.

I don't know, the kinds of things people name their kids these days it probably wouldn't faze them much.....:rolleyes:

I think a couple people last year only used their screen name...I address the envelope to whatever the list says, and I sign with my real name and my screen name in parenthases. Off to send a PM!

Ree
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Cards do not have to be homemade, nor do they need to be store bought.

If one cannot afford cards, or if one has artistic ability and the time to put in, then handmade cards are fine.

If one can afford cards or does not have the time to put into homemade ones, then store bought cards are fine.

Cards do not have to be premium quality, top of the line cards. They can be from a dollar store, even.

It doesn't matter.

It's not about the quality or source of the actual card. It's about the thought behind them, and the fellowship of sending them.

BookstoreEscapee
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
To add to Ree's last post, last year at least one or two people printed their cards on regular computer paper and folded them up. If you want to make cards and have no artistic ability, clipart is your friend :p

Seeing as how I worked in the bookstore for so long, I had quite a collection of cards that I snapped up at 50-75% off after Christmases past, so I used a lot of them up last year. I'm cheap that way. Plus people got all different kinds of cards. I still have some left but probably not enough.

I've also been known to get blank cards, print out some fun graphics on the computer and use rubber cement to put them on the card.

AnqeiicDemise
09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Last year was absolutely, incredibly, absolutely AWFUL for the hubs and I. It was our first Yule as a couple and his first Christmas away from his folks. And although I had already moved out of my Mom's place two years prior, it was the first time I was too far away from her to actually visit.

We had a piddly little tree from Target that we took out a thirty dollar loan for.

This year, we both have jobs and have a new apartment... we're in such an amazing head/heart space I want to share it with all of you. I just sent in my info and I'm telling you now, I am totally dedicating my office wall to these cards. Even if we get just four cards, it'd be a great improvement from the two we got last year and I'm such a hoarder that I follow in my mum's footsteps: I save my cards from year to year and put them up on the wall in bulk until I can't do it anymore.

Like Ree said, it is the thought that matters.

As I said prior, last year we were so broke, I used a sharpie and some excess butcher paper the neighbor had. I sat down and sketched out all these cards. I sent them out late (Like, after New Years late due to financial issues) but I sent them out. I got calls from family shortly after just bawling about the gesture. His little brother loved the card I made him and expressed he enjoyed the card despite its lateness a lot better than the two minute phone call he got on Christmas.

Heck, even the card I sent my FIL got a very heart-welcomed "Thank you" and he isn't quite fond of me to begin with.

Anyhow, I best get crackin'.

DGoddessChardonnay
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I knew this would be coming up again soon, so I went ahead and just sent a PM to you JAM with my updated information, as by the time the list goes out I'll be in my new house.

If for some reason you didn't get the PM, let me know and I'll resend.

Igorina
09-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Info sent!

I"m warning you now, there will probably be insects associated with m Christmas cards.

Nothing say Christmas quite like a ladybug with Christmas tree-shaped spots! Right?

BookstoreEscapee
09-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Info sent!

I"m warning you now, there will probably be insects associated with m Christmas cards.

Nothing say Christmas quite like a ladybug with Christmas tree-shaped spots! Right?

As long as there are no actual insects in the card, I can deal with that... :D

One-Fang
09-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I shall be in again. Last time, a few years ago, I left CS after sign up, before Christmas. Even though I notified JM and requested no cards, and this was sent to all members, I still received several from some wonderful CSers. Time to return the favour.

Mine may not be Christmassy. :) I have some generic cards I can use up. I will also quite likely get summer scene Christmas cards for the rest - as that's our Christmas season. They'll look odd next to your snow and ice ones from your local friends. :D

DesignFox
09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Yay! I just signed up, myself.

I've read about this every year, and I'm finally gonna join in the fun. I debated doing it last year, but I figured my BF would be too paranoid about me giving any info out...so I didn't.

This year, he's out of the picture (sadly) but my parents aren't as paranoid, so I'm game!

I can hardly wait to pick out the cards I want to send, and I'm especially looking forward to the cards from other countries! How cool!

:)

DGoddessChardonnay
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
I just sent my info in . . . complete with the new mailing address (we should be in there by the time the cards get sent out:p)

I don't think Mr. DGoddess will mind too much . . . he knows about CS and the annual card list, so I don't see anything to worry over.:D

Kiwi
09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
I just sent my info in

YAYYYYYYYYYYY :D

I love the cards you send!!

Kiwi
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Im sorry Im just sooooooo excited, I LOOOOURVEEEE getting mail and christmas cards are like mail times 100

I went out and brought my cards today, I just couldnt contain myself

I brought 60 cards in packs of ten because then I would have enough for family/friends etc they mostly old fashioned nostelgia cards and a few cat/dog ones thrown in for people I know are animal lovers.

Yay I love christmas, can you tell, its like im a little kid again, oh oh oh 40 cards in the mail I could just DIE!!!!

BookstoreEscapee
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Yay I love christmas, can you tell, its like im a little kid again, oh oh oh 40 cards in the mail I could just DIE!!!!

Hehe, while I'm not rushing out to buy cards quite yet, I am excited that I will get them all at my apartment. Last year I moved in November and it was too late to change my address so they all went to my parents' house and I had to wait until I was able to go pick them up. My mom would tell me, "you've got cards from *here* and *there*" and I couldn't open them right away!! :( (Although it was kinda fun trying to figure out from the name and return address who it was from, since most people didn't put their screen name on the return address.)

This year I expect my mailbox to be stuffed :D (don't worry, it's not very big)

Ree
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I've always loved getting the cards, but I think this year, it will be that much more special for me.

I am so not looking forward to the Christmas season. It used to be my favourite time.

I think having all those nice cards will really help cheer things up.

iradney
09-17-2008, 05:50 AM
My BF doesn't mind me giving out our address - and I like showing off the cards and interesting stamps to him as well :D

Crow The Robot
09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm in. Hope nobody minds getting cheap-o cards, money's tight and my art skills are limited to drawing stick figures.

DesignFox
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm in. Hope nobody minds getting cheap-o cards, money's tight and my art skills are limited to drawing stick figures.

I don't care what kind of card it is. I think it will be so cool getting cards from all over the states, all over the world, from all different people. I love the holiday season, and its gonna be kinda weird without my BF and his family around...

Rather than feeling lonely and sorry for myself, I can look at all those cards and realize that there are good people all around me- even if I've never met them face to face. I can have something to look forward to!

and I love filling out christmas cards. having an extra 40 or so to do should keep me sufficiently busy. :lol:

Melxb
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I signed up for the exchange this year again. This will be my 3rd year and I'm way excited. I still have some of those US teddy bear holiday stamps that I bought last year. Even though postage has gone up since then, I'm going to recycle them and use them again.

I also, like Ree, bought a couple of different packs of holiday cards in February of this year at my local supermarket. They were 75% off so I snatched them right off. As a consequence probably only a few cards will match, but I don't care--as long as they get sent out.

I hung the cards I received on ribbon and just draped them all over the living room. It made my house look so festival. :D

McD
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm in. And remember kids; use a wet sponge to seal the envelopes. Nuthin' says Happy Holidays like a wicked paper cut on your tongue.....

Dips
09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm also not looking forward to Christmas. Last year, when I sent my cards, I was in a great deal of denial. I can see now that focusing on the cards was one of my ways of staving off the reality of what was happening.

I think I'm going to sign up again this year, though. As painful as Christmas is for us, isolating ourselves isn't going to make it less painful.

BookstoreEscapee
09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm in. And remember kids; use a wet sponge to seal the envelopes. Nuthin' says Happy Holidays like a wicked paper cut on your tongue.....

Hathy Holidayth?

Ree
09-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm also not looking forward to Christmas. Last year, when I sent my cards, I was in a great deal of denial. I was so incredibly impressed with your strength last year when I received a card from you.

:hug:

Hathy Holidayth?:lol::lol: OK...I think I peed a little. :p

Melxb
09-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Hathy Holidayth?

Exactly! :D

Igorina
09-19-2008, 01:55 AM
As long as there are no actual insects in the card, I can deal with that... :D

Note to Self: Rethink Holiday card plan.....
;)

SG15Z
09-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Oh Im totally in!!11! lol Though I may want to talk to my parents first. They get a little paranoid when I tell personal info online, but I hope they understand this is different than telling some bloke in a chat room everything about you.

Plus there's a possibility I'll be moving out in the coming months (20 years is too old to be with parents in my view) so I may want to wait a little to make sure my address doesn't change. Oh well I'll try I love sending cards, esspecially too people who may need it. And judging from the stories on this site some of you could use some cheering up. :D

technical.angel
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
OoOo!! It's that time again!! WOOT! I love doing this!! Hopefully this year, I'll not waste half my sheets of labels. ;)

SilverOrb
09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I just sent off my PM.

Must... Resist... Impulse... To... Get... Overly... Crafty...

BookstoreEscapee
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I just sent off my PM.

Must... Resist... Impulse... To... Get... Overly... Crafty...

She's crafty
She gets around
She's crafty
She's always down...

oops, sorry, wrong thread (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=35661)... :D

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Rubyred
10-04-2008, 02:49 PM
PM sent. Yay!

This is only the second year I'll be doing this but I'm so looking forward to it.:D I got all my cards last year....I have hundreds.....my fiance thinks I'm crazy..ut we're well stocked for the next 40 or so years. Lol.

Horsetuna
10-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Sent in mine as well.

Anyoen know when the master list is sent out? I usually send my cards out mid-november to beat the rush.

Broomjockey
10-07-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm guessing it's sent out shortly after the sign-up finishes, with a short grace period for people who didn't send in complete information, and some time for JAM to make sure it's organized and no one is left off.

Horsetuna
10-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Works for me!

I can't wait. I hope I dont run out of stickers!

DGoddessChardonnay
10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Sounds good to me.

However, I had to update my info again (I'll explain in a separate post) so I'm hoping the infor I sent in will be correct. I'd hate for all those cards to get sent to the wrong address.

*sigh*

BookstoreEscapee
10-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Anyoen know when the master list is sent out? I usually send my cards out mid-november to beat the rush.

Last year it went out on Halloween (yeah, I don't clean out my email very often :p).

Ree
10-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure last year's deadline was a week earlier, so it may be a little later than that this year. We have to give Juniormintz time to check all the details and make sure everyone gave complete info, and then to compile it all into a list and email it.
If she can get that all done in a week, great, but if it takes her until into the first week of November or so, I certainly won't be wondering where my list is.

I still say that girl deserves a huge CS medal for taking on the job each year. :yourock: :salute: :super: :highfive:

BookstoreEscapee
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I still say that girl deserves a huge CS medal for taking on the job each year. :yourock: :salute: :super: :highfive:

I'll second that! :D

Midnight12
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
would love to join but will also post if i have to withdraw for any reason...
(like not being able to get enough stamps or cards....DOH)
and yes, much love and snacks to Juniormintz!

DGoddessChardonnay
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
would love to join but will also post if i have to withdraw for any reason...
(like not being able to get enough stamps or cards....DOH)
and yes, much love and snacks to Juniormintz!

As far as the cards go, you can do what I do: buy up a bunch right after Christmas when they go half price. That way you have plenty for next year.:)

I'll try to find where I put those extra cards as soon as I can get the bedroom and office back together . . . everything's stored here there and yonder right now.

And if I can't find them, I'll just go and get more cards. In which case, I'll probably come across those extras after Christmas when I'm cleaning out stuff for spring.:lol:

Midnight12
10-10-2008, 01:32 AM
And if I can't find them, I'll just go and get more cards. In which case, I'll probably come across those extras after Christmas when I'm cleaning out stuff for spring.:lol:

Feels bad now because I was instructed to watch my spending as well...signifigant other is on a rant today. thank you though I believe I know I have some cards from last year I just forgot about them.

at one time i did the whole save the cards thing...but the last few moves have left things behind...oops

BookstoreEscapee
10-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Feels bad now because I was instructed to watch my spending as well...signifigant other is on a rant today. thank you though I believe I know I have some cards from last year I just forgot about them.

at one time i did the whole save the cards thing...but the last few moves have left things behind...oops

There's always construction paper and crayons. Or magic markers. You can borrow my roommate's box of fruit scented Mr. Sketch markers. :D

DesignFox
10-10-2008, 02:45 AM
You can borrow my roommate's box of fruit scented Mr. Sketch markers. :D

I love those! :D

BookstoreEscapee
10-11-2008, 12:39 AM
I love those! :D

The perks of living with a first-grade teacher.

Horsetuna
10-11-2008, 03:16 AM
My boss and I are ordering Xmas cards en masse... I can get 200 cards for about 160 dollars total, including personal message too.

But since I like handwriting, I'm just getting 50 of each type of card. I figure I can cycle through them each year so nobody will end up with a double two years in a row.

AdminAssistant
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
I bought some cards today! Very exciting - but I'm glad I've started buying. The cards I saw were not cheap...it'll be less painful if I can accumulate over time (and then I'll stock up during after-Christmas sales).

Horsetuna
10-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Anyone know how many we're looking at this year?

BookstoreEscapee
10-12-2008, 03:26 AM

Dunno. Last year JAM posted a running list of everyone who had signed up so far. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make cards or not. I think I'll go to the craft store tomorrow when I go out for milk and stuff and check out prices on card stock. I saw some at Staples that I like but it might wind up being a bit more than I want to spend on blank cards (assuming in the ballpark of 50 again). Plus they always have coupons for the craft store.

Ree
10-12-2008, 03:40 AM
Since Juniormintz is the one compiling the list, she is probably the only one who has any idea of what type of response it is getting.

She did do a running total last year at one point, but she does this in her spare time, and she's probably got a lot going on, so we may just have to be patient and wait for after the 24th, which is the actual deadline.

Horsetuna
10-12-2008, 04:15 AM
No problem. Just curious so I know how many I should order :)

How many were last year?

Becks
10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I feel bad, because I still haven't made my mind up one way or the other this year. :ashamed:

It's great fun, and I enjoy both the cards I get AND the ones I send out, but...

I'm not sure if I'll have the time and/or money this year.

BookstoreEscapee
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
No problem. Just curious so I know how many I should order :)

How many were last year?

Last year there was a total of 51.

I haven't bought anything but when I go to the store today I'm keeping that number in mind when I look at prices. I think I'll wait until the list comes out before I spend any money, though.

Horsetuna
10-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Wow. That is a lot.

I just picked up 60 myself. found them on a good deal. I also found spares from last years - so now I have at least 70-80.

SHOULD be plenty.

One-Fang
10-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I would recommend buying up to 40 now. It's not likely to be fewer numbers, and if it is you'll probably be able to find friends to give them to. Then you only need to top up with 10-20 when the numbers come out (hopefully not much more than that!). At least it splits the cost somewhat rather than finding out on the 24th you've got to buy 60 and get them in the international post within a week.

Ree
10-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Here are some International Mailing Deadlines

US Postal Service (http://www.usps.com/holiday/shippingcalendar.htm?from=home_ftpromo&page=holidayintlmaildates)

Canada Post (http://www.canadapost.ca/AboutUs/Corporate/HolidayMailing.aspx)

New Zealand Post (http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/Personal/SendingMail/ClosingDatesForSending/#ChristmasDay)

Australia Post (http://www1.auspost.com.au/international/) (Can't find anything specifically listing holiday mailing deadlines. Anyone local want to help us out?)

UK (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=17800253) or (.pdf format) (ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/RM_last_post_dates_2008.pdf)

Since I don't know yet which from which countries members will be participating, I have listed the more common ones, based on previous years.

Horsetuna
10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I think I need to buy more.

Not including CS.com, I have almost SIXTY people on my christmas list.

I definitely need more. I may have to use that 'order 200 cards' for next year as I dont think it will get here in time.

AnqeiicDemise
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Since drawing/coloring keeps me sane and helps my stats at work, I'm drawing my cards this year. And the great thing of it? All I need is a master sheet and I can xerox the rest. ^.^ What I'm *REALLY* going to have fun with in the craft department will be the envelopes.

I have a kick out of decorating the envelopes. When my friend went to the Navy and we started writing letters to each other, she said she always looked forward to my letters because the envelopes were decorated. Her favorites were the ones I made for her that first Christmas. She's Christian so I drew footsteps all along one evelope and quoted that psalm (?) about how you're never Alone because God's with you (the second envelope had camel prints to the Manger. xD )

Evil Queen
10-13-2008, 09:12 PM
What the heck, I'll sign up! I've never sent seasonal cards before; it should be fun! :)

Bella_Vixen
10-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Becks, sign up again. We can go shoping for cards together. :wave:

MystyGlyttyr
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I bought about sixty cards last year after Christmas in preparation for participating this year. I'm also hoping to have some art drawn that I'll include with the cards, but we'll see (costs of printing in color could be prohibitive).

At any rate, I'll be buying stamps in bulk, too. :lol:

DGoddessChardonnay
10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I bought about sixty cards last year after Christmas in preparation for participating this year. I'm also hoping to have some art drawn that I'll include with the cards, but we'll see (costs of printing in color could be prohibitive).

At any rate, I'll be buying stamps in bulk, too. :lol:

If I recall, last year I bought one book and had part of another already. Then had to buy a second book of stamps and that just covered all the domestic ones.

I'll probably just buy 3 books to be on the safe side this year . . . for the overseas cards I'll just go to the post office and use the kiosk just inside the entrance.

Saves time standing in line and sanity.:angel:

Evil Queen
10-15-2008, 02:19 AM
I think I'll just take the stack to the postoffice and let the clerks figure it out from there; they have to do something other then standing around looking pretty.

:D

BookstoreEscapee
10-15-2008, 04:36 AM
I think I'll just take the stack to the postoffice and let the clerks figure it out from there; they have to do something other then standing around looking pretty.

That's exactly what I did last year. I sorted the international ones by country and just gave them to the clerk.

technical.angel
10-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I do my international ones first, take them up, and pick up the amount of stamps I need for the domestic. Works out the best for me.

Melxb
10-18-2008, 02:56 AM
I counted & I have 70 cards ready to go. If I have to buy more, then I'll buy more. I'm not creative enough to make any on my own. :p

BookstoreEscapee
10-18-2008, 04:07 AM
I realized that I have a pad of fun square paper in various colors, which, folded in half, should fit perfectly in a regular envelope. I'm thinking a few sheets of scrapbooking stickers and I've got me some homemade Christmas cards. I looked at the craft store and I don't think buying card stock and envelopes and stuff to decorate them will be any cheaper than just buying cards. But they had sheets of 20 snowflake stickers (and other fun designs) for under 2 bucks. :D

Horsetuna
10-20-2008, 02:49 AM
disaster! I wasstupid and continued using my pc after a power flicker, and itgot killed.

i am fairly sure i backed up my christmas card list though it wint have the last few i added. no problem for the cs getting them, butit may delay my cards. cross fingers, working to get new compy asap,

ps, typing on a tiny minilaptop computer keyboard drives me crazy

Ree
10-20-2008, 03:03 AM
i am fairly sure i backed up my christmas card list though it wint have the last few i added. no problem for the cs getting them, butit may delay my cards. cross fingers, working to get new compy asap,:confused: Do you mean your own personal list, because as far as I know, the CS list hasn't even gone out yet.

Horsetuna
10-20-2008, 03:05 AM
yeah, but depending on time/money, may delay the printing and preparation of the cs list asopayday is the 31st. babbling a little sorry

Supermarket Slave Girl
10-20-2008, 03:25 AM
This is the first time for me doing the christmas cards, should be fun.

One-Fang
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Heck I'm still confused. Isn't JM doing the card list?

technical.angel
10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes.

I believe HT means that her personal Christmas card list was on the computer that died, so her personal ones may be delayed until she can get all the addresses and such again.

Also, her CS cards may be delayed because the funds she was using for her cards are going to be going to computer repair.

BookstoreEscapee
10-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey I just found a box and a half of cards left from my post-Christmas markdown collection of the last few years. I think about 25 cards or so. Woo-hoo! But I also got stickers yesterday so I want to make as many as I can, too. I also have some mini-cards (~2x3 inches) but I don't think I want to put those in the mail. Maybe I'll use them for gift tags instead...

Kiwi
10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
ONE MOREDAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Im getting my stamps this afternoon!

BookstoreEscapee
10-23-2008, 11:02 PM
ONE MOREDAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Im getting my stamps this afternoon!

Wow, you're on top of things! I won't bother getting stamps until I have the cards ready for them. Since I don't know what the foreign ones will cost, I'll take them to the post office and get stamps for the US cards then. I'm excited and feeling crafty, so hopefully I won't procrastinate like I usually do.

One-Fang
10-25-2008, 01:32 AM
I have my cards now. :) Managed to get some very nice NZ scenery ones, so sorry for any other Kiwis signing up! LOL

The stamps are going to hurt the pocketbook, but oh well, that's what credit cards are for, right?

monolayth
10-25-2008, 01:58 AM
ok i just signed up. :ashamed:

such a procrasinator!

BookstoreEscapee
10-25-2008, 02:03 AM
ok i just signed up. :ashamed:

such a procrasinator!

cuttin' it awful close, there, mono...:p

monolayth
10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
well, my lease is up in dec, and was waiting to hear back from the landlady to if she was renewing the lease. which she is. yay.

BookstoreEscapee
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
well, my lease is up in dec, and was waiting to hear back from the landlady to if she was renewing the lease. which she is. yay.

Huh, my lease is up at the end of November. We still haven't gotten back the renewal (which we sent in a couple days late so I hope that doesn't cause a problem).

One-Fang
10-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Do you have postal forwarding there? Even if you move, you would still get all of your mail.

Hopefully you don't though, and things just work out smoothly. :)

Every day I'm checking my CS.com for personal messages for the list. I'm busting here! LOL. Just dying to get these cards done and out so I can start raking in the Chrissie Cards! Thinking of putting them up at work rather than home - will make me look REALLY popular! LOL

iradney
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Today, I went out and found some very cute cards (bought 70!!)! Now all I need to do is get stamps and I'm raring to go!

Ree
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Just a note that the list might be a bit delayed by a day or two more.

Juniormintz wouldn't say anything herself, because she isn't the publicly whining type, but she had a small accident last week, on the last day of signups at that, and injured her hand.

She made the mods aware of it and the fact that it made typing difficult.
She was going to do her best to get the list compiled ASAP, but please bear with her for a few days.

iradney
10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
If JM needs some help, she's welcome to PM me and I'll do what I can. Hope your hand is feeling better! *Hugs*

Horsetuna
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
My dad is working to retrieve my old hard drive. I hope so, because having one master list for cards would make my plan easier.

BookstoreEscapee
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
If JM needs some help, she's welcome to PM me and I'll do what I can. Hope your hand is feeling better! *Hugs*

Was gonna say the same thing. :wave:

Evil Queen
10-28-2008, 06:27 AM
I hope you feel better soon JM!

monolayth
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
jm can take the time she needs. And I hope she gets better soon.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
10-29-2008, 01:23 AM
I bought cards already, but I don't know if I'll have enough. If not, I can always go out and buy one more box.

Kiwi
10-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I hope you feel better JM!!!!

JuniorMintz
10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the get well notes everyone, I was pretty frustrated when I hurt myself on the 24th (what timing, huh?) but I'm feeling better and Mr. Mintz doesn't have to do my typing for me anymore so all in all we're both much happier. :)

Please note that sign ups are now closed and I am going to start compiling the list right after I finish this post. I'd like to remind you all that I'm going to be sending out a test email at some point this week so please mind your spam filters. I will announce in this thread once I've sent out the test, so be sure to check this place frequently.

PS to my Mod Friends, if you think of any important information that I've forgotten up to this point, please feel free to cover my ass and chime in. Thanks Loves! :lol:

One-Fang
10-30-2008, 06:06 AM
I should think your ass doesn't need covering.

You're doing a REALLY COOL thing by volunteering to run this. If by some weird stroke of madness you cocked up something or even just decided to just plain not do it, it's just bloody tough. Nobody paid for this service. If people have complaints about how it's managed they can just direct them to someonewhocares@fuddoff.com. ;)

You do what you can when you can hon, and we'll have that list soon enough.

BookstoreEscapee
10-30-2008, 11:45 PM
If people have complaints about how it's managed they can just direct them to someonewhocares@fuddoff.com. ;)

Hey!! That email address is a dud!!!!! :rant:

One-Fang
11-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Got some cards ready for names and addresses. You will all know, when you receive them, which ones are from One-Fang. ;)

JuniorMintz
11-03-2008, 04:14 AM
The list, for all intents and purposes, is done and I plan to send it out tomorrow evening if all goes well.

I sent out a test email just now so I need everyone to check their mailboxes. Please be sure to check your spam filters before letting me know you didn't get it.

FYI, we have about 65 people on the list this year (which frankly is awesome!) but if this is going to be a problem for anyone, now is the time to let me know so I can remove you before it becomes an issue. No harm, no foul. :)

Thanks!

Ree
11-03-2008, 04:16 AM
The test email has gone out. Please check your Inbox.

Just a reminder, if you haven't done so...get your email address to Juniormintz. It's pretty hard for her to send a list without an email address.

It's a shame when one or two people cause a bit of a holdup for everyone else who did manage to get their email addresses in on time with their mailing address, as instructed.

(Not only did she have to cope with the bad hand, but she's been kind of holding off a bit the past few days, hoping everyone would get their details in so she wouldn't have to send the list twice. Rather than make the rest of the members wait, she decided to proceed without all the email addresses, and will now probably have to send the list more than once. Come on, people, whoever you are. The rest of us are patiently waiting and got our details in. That's not cool. :( :no: )

Supermarket Slave Girl
11-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Test email worked for me, ready and waiting :)

Kiwi
11-03-2008, 04:52 AM
test email worked for me

Daisy
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Got my test email!

YAY!

iradney
11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Got it! :love:

Rubyred
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Got it!!!:D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I too got the test e-mail.

Parrothead
11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I got the email.

Crow The Robot
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
You are a saint, JM, got the e-mail.

Evil Queen
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I got it, pointed out an error, got a reply and sent thanks.

Yay! Time to buy cards!

Horsetuna
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
None yet. But I thik I know why, so no urgency yet.

Midnight12
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
got the test e-mail and thank you!

Aethian
11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Woot got my e-mail and am already penning out cards to get ready for addresses.

Emrld
11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
woot I got the test e-mail
Thank you JM for once again helping make the holidays a bit brighter for us.
This will be my first year to participate and it is a year that an extra boost of holiday cheer from my CS family will truly help make it more "get throuhable."

DGoddessChardonnay
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I've just gotten my test email as well . . .and I have my cards within reach.

Just waiting on the list now . . .:D

BookstoreEscapee
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Yay! I passed the test!

Wow, 65 people! I might need those cards I found from last year, after all (was gonna save them for when/if I run out of paper for making the ones I am planning - guess I should get started...).

Spiffy McMoron
11-04-2008, 01:52 AM
I also have a slightly fuller inbox!

Big thanks again to JM for organizing this whole thing--I have only a vague understanding of how complex it is, and I don't envy her at all! :p

Sandman
11-04-2008, 01:56 AM
That's a negative.. .I didn't receive the test e-mail. I checked my spam box and it's not there.

Bella_Vixen
11-04-2008, 03:38 AM
I forgot to give my email address. Things have been hectic, what with the move and all.

JuniorMintz
11-04-2008, 04:05 AM
The list is out, and I'm pretty sure that I fixed all the email problems that I heard about today. If you didn't get either the test *or* the list, let me know.

Also, I sent it out as a word document, so if this is a problem for anyone, too bad. :D

Just kidding, as always let me know and I'll send it straight text.

Now I'm just waiting to see everyone bust frantic ass to try and get theirs out first. If I had to bet, I'd probably guess Kiwi... she's a machine. :lol:

NimrodJess
11-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Rawr

Got both the test and the list. Sending cards as soon as I am motivated enough to purchase them and stamps.

SteverinoNY
11-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Got the email! :) Will be buying cards ASAP and will be sending them out very shortly!

Got to love having a post office down the street within walking distance! Woo! I get to make a whole bunch of CSers happy and get my exercise in. Sounds like a win win for everyone involved.

Thanks for taking this on JM! :)

You are awesome! :)

iradney
11-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Hey JM

ETA: GOT IT!! got it got it :) Thanks very very much! :D

One-Fang
11-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Um ... can I check something?

One of the USA addresses ends in "NSW, Australia, USA". Is that actually Aus and not the US? I never heard of Australia, USA, I suppose it's possible, but ...?

Oh and ... I found it funny. Only two people in total from my entire country, and I might as well walk around and drop it off! They're very CLOSE addresses!

Familytradition
11-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Oh and ... I found it funny. Only two people in total from my entire country, and I might as well walk around and drop it off! They're very CLOSE addresses!

Laughed at that myself. First thing I checked was who else from NZ there was.

Dips
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Got the test. It was in my spam box so I moved it and marked it.

Then the actual list ended up in my spam box anyway. :p

But I got it! Yay!

Thank you again, JM, for doing this. I won't be the first to send cards, since I still need to order mine. :o

Supermarket Slave Girl
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey all, I just got the list and noticed on my address USA was on it, Please don't put USA on it when mailing the card, I'm in Australia, If USA is on it I won't recieve it.

Thanks everyone.

technical.angel
11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm working on throwing all the addressses into an excel spreadsheet. PM me if you would like a copy!

Supermarket Slave Girl
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Um ... can I check something?

One of the USA addresses ends in "NSW, Australia, USA". Is that actually Aus and not the US? I never heard of Australia, USA, I suppose it's possible, but ...?

That's my address, Ignore the USA part, just put Australia.

AdminAssistant
11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes...I'll be working on the cards a handful at a time on the weekends...I'll start with the internationals first though and get those in. I DO need to get some more cards. And stamps.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
That's my address, Ignore the USA part, just put Australia.

Done and done! :wave:

Now to get the cards. :D

MystyGlyttyr
11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Got the e-mail and list, heh.

Well, I have 60 cards, which I guess means that five people at completely random are going to be getting hand-drawn cards cuz I can't afford to buy any more and postage. Heh, call them random insert collector's items or something. ;)

(Though I am planning to add drawings to all the cards...so those five will just be drawing and card all together, heh.)

Plaidman
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok, I got the test, but never got the real list. It isn't in my spam folder nether.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm going through the list again;

McD doesn't have a real name attached to her (his?) address. Can I get that in a PM or something?

Emrld is the same way.

Family Tradition doesn't have a last name. Will the mail get to them without it?

Of everyone, only one person from AussieLand is on the list? Darn. I've never been to AussieLand.

JuniorMintz
11-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Some members chose not to provide their full names for privacy reasons so there's nothing I can do about that.

I'm at work though and just received word that I screwed up Supermarket Slave Girl's address so please everyone, make a note of it. I'll edit and resend the list when I get home.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Uh, okay. I'll go ahead and send then. Hopefully it'll get to them.

-EQ
GAH! Now you know my Sekket Identity!!! :D

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Got it. I kinda noticed that myself.

oh... uh... back to my Magic the Gathering Days....

<flashback>
BUMP! :lol:
</flashback>

Midnight12
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
but why are you not on the list JM? i ask because i was planning to send a card your way as well. *shrugs*

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Good question. :p

Midnight12
11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Good question. :p

didn't want to sound mean or ungrateful since JM DID go to all that trouble. Just curious. I promise I'm not stalking! lol

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Ya know, I think you and I have a habit of misunderstanding each other. I was agreeing with you.

*hugs* We good? We good.

Anyways, I am stalking people. So it surprises me when all the Mods but Broom is on the list. Darn you Broom! WHY?!? It's hard to stalk you when I don't have your address! And SmileyEagle1021, WTF dude?! Don't make me send your Holiday Card to your Work place! I know where you work! :lol:

Midnight12
11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
yeah we good. :p I was worried about offending JM since she went to all this trouble. Sorry.
yeah. seee. its more fun to watch you stalk than actually doing it hehe.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, she was busy. Maybe she forgot. I just finished numbering them all and forgot to delete myself from the list.

Yeah, I'm so smart. :lol:

The list has 64 names on it (including myself) and I overestimated and bought 75 cards. Which is fine because there's some people not on the list (Mom and Dad, My Grandmother, RW, Lupo, SmileyEagle and Broom) that I want to send cards to even though they aren't (or in my parents case, can't) participating.

Midnight12
11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
same here, i have a whole address book of family members to send to which will bump it up to 80 so i'm going all out. Pizza is done in the oven going to enjoy cheesy goodness now. hugs for those that want them!
:)

Emrld
11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
It is not JM's fault mine doesn't have a name. . . .It was late night on vacation - had been at a pub when I im'd my info.
For mine put Emrld / Jenn and the mailing address - shouldn't be any problem with it arriving. Some people only know me as Emrld and others by Jenn - postal delivery person is aware of this.

Sorry about that everyone.

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
No problem. I've already edited my list. :)

The nice thing about being on this list is getting to see all the exotic names! <3

Parrothead
11-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know the zip code for McGoddess09?

anniesbar
11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
as soon as I get JM's address I"m done --- just not mailing the US ones until closer to December ---- it's just TOO early to send out! (taking bets on how fast I loose them all!!!)

Rubyred
11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Got my list yay!! Between CS, my family and my fiances family and our friends we'll have about 150 cards to do. I'm starting tomorrow! ;)

monolayth
11-04-2008, 09:37 PM
annie you live down the street from me?

lexia fira, you seem to be missint one number in the zip code?

Evil Queen
11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know the zip code for McGoddess09?

The town she lives in seems to only have one zip code. 61080.

I thought the screenname was Word Dork, not Work Dork? Or is that another poster?

BookstoreEscapee
11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Uh, okay. I'll go ahead and send then. Hopefully it'll get to them.

There were a few like that last year, too. As far as I know, they made it to their destinations just fine.

Apparently I did that to Becks last year. The stamp didn't get cancelled on the card I sent her. Seriously, I didn't drive an hour up to her place. Really. :blink:

Then the actual list ended up in my spam box anyway. :p

The test went to my inbox just fine, but the list went to my spam box. :shrug: Good thing I skim the list before I hit delete!

I'm working on throwing all the addressses into an excel spreadsheet. PM me if you would like a copy!

Did that today at work :p

Kiwi
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I have 12 cards done

someone lucky person caught me in a blonde moment and instead of writing USA i wrote COUNTRY instead

haha.... im an idiot

Spiffy McMoron
11-04-2008, 11:39 PM

Haha, yeah. Broom and I would joke that we should save the cost of a stamp and just drop the cards off in person. :lol:

Midnight12
11-05-2008, 12:12 AM

lexia fira, you seem to be missint one number in the zip code?

WHOOPS that would be 75089 sorry!

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Good thing you wrote in Lexia. I was about to go crazy trying to figure out WHICH zip code you lived in!

:runaway:

Aethian
11-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Queen, you can find zip codes on the usps.com website.

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
And google, but Lexia's town has multiple.

Becks
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Apparently I did that to Becks last year. The stamp didn't get cancelled on the card I sent her. Seriously, I didn't drive an hour up to her place. Really. :blink:

Too bad you didn't. Now it'll be a much longer drive to hand deliver a card. :lol:

Igorina
11-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Got the list, noted the corrections posted here.

Now to balance ornament making and letter writing such that both get done by Christmas...

Oh, and work. SOmetimes that's important too.

BookstoreEscapee
11-05-2008, 01:00 AM
I thought the screenname was Word Dork, not Work Dork? Or is that another poster?

It's worddork (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/member.php?u=2769) .

(There is no Work Dork in the members list.)

Well, Becks, we'll see if I take a road trip this month...:p

Kiwi
11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
sent 12 out this evening, got all my stamps to!

technical.angel
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Did that today at work :p

If I PM you my address, mind sharing?

monolayth
11-05-2008, 01:54 AM
bought the cards, have addressed the envelopes, still need to write somthing in all. will send out in a week or two.

Becks
11-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, Becks, we'll see if I take a road trip this month...:p

Woo hoo!!!!! :bounce:

Monica
11-05-2008, 02:36 AM
I got the test e-mail, but never got the list.

anniesbar
11-05-2008, 03:38 AM

yes ma'am --- and probably work where you shop ;-)

Kiwi
11-05-2008, 04:38 AM
28 more done, sitting on the kitchen table to mail out tomorrow

plan on having them all done by tomorrow midday

sorry they are so early I have well over 100 to mail this year (4 were already mailed before the list came out) and 4 birthday cards also so Im gettingerdone!

iradney
11-05-2008, 05:01 AM
I've done about 35 cards so far - picking up stamps during lunch, and doing the rest this evening, then posting them tomorrow!!! (I have hand cramps, and I blame you all :) )

Kiwi
11-05-2008, 05:14 AM
doing the rest this evening, then posting them tomorrow!!!

Im soooooo beating you this year, you beat me every single time, but not this year :D:p

monolayth
11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
have addressed written a message and stuffed the envelopes. they are in a pretty box and waiting till i send them out in a week or two till i can afford it.

yay for not putting it off like i normally do!

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, I'm pretty damned good about putting them off.

I have the cards, sure. I just have to address them and decide if I want to handwrite a little note or not. or should I just stuff the card in without one and sign it "Evil Queen"?

Can you tell I've never sent cards before? :ashamed:

JuniorMintz
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

Please check your mail again as an updated (and hopefully fuck up free) version was just sent out.

To those who never got the original, please double check your spam filters. That said, some people are just getting their mail very slowly, so if you don't get it within 24 hours of me mailing them, please let me know and I'll resend.

Bella_Vixen
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Got the original and the improved list (after I printed out the original :lol: ):wave:

One-Fang
11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Got the new one.

Got a bunch of them done. I think I have about half still to do.

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I got the list. Will be working on it likely on sunday when I have a lot of free time.

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
btw, uh, should we not print the persons' screen name on the envelopes? It would make it faster for me if it doesnt matter.

but I understand if not.

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm writing screen names on the back of the envelopes. That way I know who I already made cards for and who's card goes in what envelope.

I did notice one of the people we mail to (in the UK, that's as specific as I'm going to get) doesn't have a screen name listed. I'm assuming it's because their name is the screen name but I don't recognise it.

I have a bad memory. :o

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
well, its already 'public' on the internet so I suppose it doesnt matter.

My method for doign envelopes is I have it imported into open office, with pages sized to the card sizes, then I just put one address per page and stuff the envelopes through my printer.

To remove the screen names, I have to go through manually :)

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I doubt I have the ink for that so I'm doing it all by hand.

I'm too lazy to go to the store to get more ink. :lol:

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I just finished printing out all the envelopes. Home sick from work (Kind of. I didnt call in though), so may as well go about signing everything.

JuniorMintz
11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I did notice one of the people we mail to (in the UK, that's as specific as I'm going to get) doesn't have a screen name listed. I'm assuming it's because their name is the screen name but I don't recognise it.

You're referring to Linda, I'm assuming, and that's been her screen name for as long as I've known her. Same goes for Monica.

I've been doing this for several years now, and I've never had a card not be delivered because of whatever name is listed on it. (I imagine the mail lady in my neighborhood gets a good laugh when she sees me getting mail from "Spiffy McMoron".)

As you're filling out your cards, I would recommend making them out just as the recipient requested. Again, I am only giving you information as it was given to me.

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
done and done.

I need to buy more supplies though.

Evil Queen
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
JM, What luck! because I wrote "Linda" on the card anyways. :D

Aethian
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Yay got the new one and it is much easier to read. Thanks JM, you rock!.

One-Fang
11-05-2008, 09:50 PM
All done and posted.

I followed someone else's suggestion of just letting the post officer sort out postage. It only half worked. She counted envelopes and handed me a bunch of stamps! I thought they'd have some kind of franking machine, but alas no.

BookstoreEscapee
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
EQ, you can write as much or as little as you like.

You know, some of you people are making the rest of us look bad. :rolleyes:

DGoddessChardonnay
11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Got my list, JM and I'll start on my cards Friday (my next day off from work.)

Now do I have enough cards? I'll find out when I dig out what's left over from last year as well as the extras we bought . . .;)

BTW, Kiwi - you shouldn't sit so close to me - my blonde moments are contagious, dontcha know?:p

monolayth
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
what are the main diffrences in the new list?

Ree
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
You know, some of you people are making the rest of us look bad. :rolleyes:
LOL....so true.

I've been doing this for at least 4 years now, and I don't ever recall it being too complicated.

It's a greeting card.

Everyone is free to write whatever they choose, send any type or size of card that they choose, use any type of writing implement that they choose, and just put the person's name and address on the envelope, stamp it and drop it in a mailbox.

I write the membername on the inside of the card, and I just cross them off my list as I go to keep track.

what are the main diffrences in the new list?It doesn't matter. Just discard the old and follow the new and there won't be any confusion. (Unless you've already addressed the envelopes and want to make sure they're correct.)

AccountingDrone
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I have not yet gotten the listing ...

(*MOD EDIT - Removed email address - Please PM Juniormintz with the correct address. FYI - The address posted was sent a copy of the list) ... same email as in my profile ...

One-Fang
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey um, would it be at all out of place to suggest a little care is taken when addressing them?

There were a few mistakes in the list already. That's us writing out OUR OWN addresses, and some people got it wrong. When writing out 65 other people's addresses on envelopes, there's even more chance of getting a wrong postcode or confusing two addresses or something.

So care is good. Double-check. :)

(God I hope mine are all okay now after saying that and they're already in the post box!)

Horsetuna
11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
that's why I printed my addresses out :)

Monica
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Got it. I will get the cards out soon.

BookstoreEscapee
11-05-2008, 10:45 PM

(*MOD EDIT - Removed email address - Please PM Juniormintz with the correct address. FYI - The address posted was sent a copy of the list) ... same email as in my profile ...

Hey I decided to try forwarding it to you. Hope you get it :)

JuniorMintz
11-05-2008, 10:50 PM

I will resend the list right now, but I'd like to use take this chance to remind everyone that the fastest way to get my attention would be to PM me directly... PM's catch my attention faster than general posts in this thread.

Please and thank you. :p

Kiwi
11-05-2008, 10:52 PM
ran out of card with 16 people to go, just got back from the store with 20 more

so if you get penguins from me you know you got special made in canada cards.... haha :p

One-Fang
11-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Heheh, I ran out of my NZ scenic ones with three to do. So the local, the Aussie, and someone with a cat-related username got cat cards instead. :)

Midnight12
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
ok, i know it was posted and trying to look but...could someone repost the link the the postage rates local and international. I've tried looking. free time is not my friend as of late

Ree
11-05-2008, 11:56 PM
ok, i know it was posted and trying to look but...could someone repost the link the the postage rates local and international.

Here ya go:
1)
3) Double check on the cost using these websites:

US Postal Service (http://ircalc.usps.gov/)

Canada Post (http://www.canadapost.ca/Personal/Tools/RC/Canada.aspx)

Royal Mail (http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc)

...And a few more:
Here are some International Mailing Deadlines

US Postal Service (http://www.usps.com/holiday/shippingcalendar.htm?from=home_ftpromo&page=holidayintlmaildates)

Canada Post (http://www.canadapost.ca/AboutUs/Corporate/HolidayMailing.aspx)

New Zealand Post (http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/Personal/SendingMail/ClosingDatesForSending/#ChristmasDay)

Australia Post (http://www1.auspost.com.au/international/) (Can't find anything specifically listing holiday mailing deadlines. Anyone local want to help us out?)

UK (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=17800253) or (.pdf format) (ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/RM_last_post_dates_2008.pdf)

Melxb
11-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Got the test email and the real list all in good order. No problems there. The test email went to my spam file and the other list went into my inbox. It all looks good.:D

But ya'll are making me feel bad--I normally don't start filling out my holiday cards until Thanksgiving weekend and I usually send them out the first week of December--which isn't for another month. There are so many people who are just not procrastinators like me I guess. :lol:

Midnight12
11-06-2008, 12:08 AM
THANK YOU Ree!!!!

Horsetuna
11-06-2008, 12:45 AM
all of mine are printed and ready to go!

Some will be mailed likely very soon. The others I need to add a few things first.

McD
11-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I got my list today. It looks longer than last years list, and that's a good thing.

Thank you for the extra effort you put into catagorizing by country. Pure genuis, it is. Now I know which cards to work on first.

I have decided to make cards this year. You're all gettin' kitten. I trust everyone lurves kittens? If not, PM me and I'll be sure to send you a nice Almond Roca from the litter pan:devil: :lol:

Spiffy McMoron
11-06-2008, 01:12 AM
(I imagine the mail lady in my neighborhood gets a good laugh when she sees me getting mail from "Spiffy McMoron".)

You think that's wierd? You ought to see the looks I get when 65 cards show up here addressed to "Spiffy McMoron". :roll:

BookstoreEscapee
11-06-2008, 02:06 AM
But ya'll are making me feel bad--I normally don't start filling out my holiday cards until Thanksgiving weekend and I usually send them out the first week of December--which isn't for another month. There are so many people who are just not procrastinators like me I guess. :lol:

I'M A PROCRASTINATOR TOO!!! :wave:

One-Fang
11-06-2008, 02:07 AM
LOL, 64. I used real names on the envelopes. :)

Mind you, McD is getting one addressed to McD, since there was no other name. And kittens is PURRFECTLY fine!!

Oh and as for procrastination and making ya's look bad, do bear in mind I've only got one week anyway - international economy air postage deadline. I'm not that well organised, I'm just running out of time!

Horsetuna
11-06-2008, 02:17 AM
I have over 105 on my christmas list, total

You know, I really want to make a big, huge map and put it on the wall and pin it where I have cards going. That would be fun.

One-Fang
11-06-2008, 02:58 AM
My pile started with the Aus/SA ones then UK/Canada/US. The lady at the post office, about half way through, said "Gee, where did YOU used to live?"

AdminAssistant
11-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Between my bank account and end-of-semester assignments and grading....yeah.....I am going to get the ones going overseas out ASAP. The rest will probably have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

iradney
11-06-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm almost done - have about 8 more cards to write in and address, then stamp em and mail em. I'm heartily sick of the taste of stamp glue! :lol:

Kiwi
11-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Just walked up the stairs from mailing the last 16

im offically done for the year, now I will just sit back, relax and watch the christmas cheer roll in!

SorryIsGoodEnough
11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I hope you all will forgive the kindergarten lines of my send outs. Some kids wanted to help me make send outs (they are VERY basic, construction paper cards) and they did a lot of the cutting. It seems kids LOVE to use scissors.

Anyway. Don't expect straight lines. Oh, and don't be surprised if you find some glue marks.

Kids. :lol:

anniesbar
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I hope you all will forgive the kindergarten lines of my send outs. Some kids wanted to help me make send outs (they are VERY basic, construction paper cards) and they did a lot of the cutting. It seems kids LOVE to use scissors.

Anyway. Don't expect straight lines. Oh, and don't be surprised if you find some glue marks.

THOSE are my favorite kinds of cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becks
11-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Makes me very regretful that I didn't sign up this year...

Evil Queen
11-06-2008, 09:48 PM

I agree, those are the bestest kind of card ever!

Don't expect my greeting cards to have straight lines either... my hand started to crap when I got to the 25th name.

ArcticChicken
11-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm just getting started now. I've printed all the addresses, and am desperately wishing I had address labels, or a stamp, or something to deal with the return addresses. blargh!

I hope I'll be able to mail the international one before work tomorrow.

Aethian
11-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Gah I ran out of my winter adress labels. *cries* So now a bunch of people are getting shore theamed ones.

technical.angel
11-07-2008, 01:06 AM
OoOo! I hope I get one of the shore themed ones!! :D

Aethian
11-07-2008, 01:19 AM
*laughs* You got it Tech Angel.

ArcticChicken
11-07-2008, 01:58 AM
I feel sooo slick right now, I've just managed to misspell "happy".

Kiwi
11-07-2008, 02:33 AM
dont worry, some lucky person got the word wonderful spelt like this

wonder ....................... ful

yes I was talking at the time!!

Aethian
11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
*giggles* Ah....yea writting it too many times I managed to misspell my own name. *face plants* I think it's bed time.

Bella_Vixen
11-07-2008, 03:10 AM
I'm...desperately wishing I had address labels, or a stamp, or something to deal with the return addresses. blargh!

I learned my lesson last year. I just ordered my address labels, and as soon as they get here...and I buy some cards...I'll get things started. :wave:

Monica
11-07-2008, 03:12 AM
All my cards are addressed and sealed. I am just waiting for my stamps to come, and I will then go to the post office to mail the overseas ones.