PDA

View Full Version : Does This Make Me Elitist?

AnaKhouri
09-29-2008, 03:39 AM
A woman came in looking for a Thesaurus for her son.

When I showed them to her, she picked one up and said, "Now what do these do?" :confused:

I was horrified.

Does the fact that I was shocked she didn't know the uses of a Thesaurus make me an elitist snob? I'm afraid it does, but I still can't shake off the disbelief. :(

lordlundar
09-29-2008, 03:41 AM
No, it doesn't make you an elitist snob, it makes her a MORON.:D

smileyeagle1021
09-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Does the fact that I was shocked she didn't know the uses of a Thesaurus make me an elitist snob?

well, do you also use a napkin, and a fork and a knife... or refuse to swallow an olive pit... or drink drinks with foreign sounding names like cappuccino or Philippino...

:lol:
kudos for the reference

Aethian
09-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Lets hope her son knows what it's for and goes farther then Mom.

Evil Queen
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
You know what they say about apples and trees Aethian.... the future does not bode well.

Madordead
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm fascinated - was it a matter of 'but mo-oooom - *all* the other kids have one ...'

Why was she buying a product she didn't know the purpose of? And buying a product she didn't know the purpose of for her kid? (Although a few bravery points to her for owning up possibly?)

AnaKhouri
09-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm guessing the kid's school required it.

I wouldn't have been shocked if she didn't know some obscure point of poetry or history or something. But a thesaurus? I figure everyone has to use one of those at least once sometime in their school career, even if they don't use it any other time.

cinema guy
09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
"It's a book ma'am. It doesn't do anything. It is however used to find synonyms."

Saying that in slightly outraged tone would make you elitist. :)

lordlundar
09-30-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm guessing the kid's school required it.

Most likely. My school did require it. I used it about 5 times in the 3 years I was in there.:lol:

Evil Queen
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
A Thesaurus is a staple in my library; I'm always using the thing.

Of course, I never used it in school. :whistle:

TheComputerError
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
A thesaurus is a dinosaur, right?

If so, I'd imagine they stomp around a bit eating either vegetation or other dinosaurs (don't know if they're carnivorous or not).

I find it funny that the kid's school would require them to own a dinosaur. I see no educational benefit from bringing a dinosaur to school. Although, now that I think about it, that reminds me of a children's book that I recall existing (which means it may or may not exist at all).

OK. I'm done acting stupid. :p

MystyGlyttyr
09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I used to read the thesaurus when I was little. Now I almost never need one. My coworkers come to me and say "I need another word for ____" and I start spouting off synonyms.

Still, I've never used an atlas, but I know what one IS...

Becks
09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
A thesaurus is a dinosaur, right?

:lol: I love you.

Evil Queen
09-30-2008, 08:59 PM
:lol: I love you.

He's mine but you can borrow him on the weekends. :D

Becks
10-02-2008, 01:00 AM
E_Q, fair enough...but what condition for return?

Bagga
10-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Do not mould, fondle, or stimulate.

Akasa
10-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Do not mould, fondle, or stimulate.

Take all the fun out of it!

Iris Kojiro
10-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Iris-fact # 347

I have never used a thesaurus in my life. However, at least I know what it is used for. :)

TheComputerError
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
E_Q, fair enough...but what condition for return?

Just return me in the same (or better) condition you got me in and we'll be fine. I'm pretty easy to get along with.

Becks
10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Just return me in the same (or better) condition you got me in and we'll be fine..

What fun is THAT? :p

depechemodefan
10-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Maybe she forgot what a thesaurus is. My mom was a school teacher 40 years ago, but a lot of times I have to remind her some common knowledge, like who was president before Carter. And if Carter is still alive. And if Jimmy Stewart is still alive. But she can still remember what war her husband fought in.

But no, I don't think you are elitist. Because this is CS and it's most likely the woman just never seen a thesaurus, since she spent all her time in school doing her nails and passing notes. Or she went to a crumby school (like I did, so it's a miracle that I learned anything of use in public school), so she's not stupid, just went to Springfield elementary school.