PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but Star Trek isn't real.....

Dave1982
10-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Ok, I admit to being a pretty big Star Trek fan, but I can at least recognize that the technology portrayed is fictional.

I actually had a guy ask me this week if he could buy a voice-command typewriter.

:eek:

That was just one of those brain-freezing moments where you are so astounded that you can't respond right away. :brainbleach:

After a few seconds, I finally stammered "Ah, outside of science-fiction? No, sorry."

He seemed genuinely disappointed (though thankfully not angered) by my answer.

I think someone took Gary Seven's typewriter from "Assignment: Earth" a little too seriously. :cry:

smileyeagle1021
10-05-2008, 03:11 AM
you mean... none of it ever happened, Archer never saved us from anialation, Kirk never explored the galaxy, Piccard never whooped ass... you mean I can't actually instantly beam across the planet...

nooooo :cry:

ok, end sarcasm... it's actually not that sci-fi as it sounds, there is voice recognition software out there... I don't think it's been applied to a typewriter (yet) but it isn't that unfeasible.

Dave1982
10-05-2008, 03:16 AM
Yes, I know that. But still, such a device does not currently exist, to the best of my knowledge. And I doubt it will, since it's not as flexible as voice-recognition software + word processor.:D

Dave1982
10-05-2008, 03:16 AM
He could try talking into the mouse. :D

Just use the keyboard....... :lol:

Evil Queen
10-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Beam me up Scotty!

JLRodgers
10-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Voice recognition software and a computer would work -- although many years ago when I first tried it out, I spend more time correcting the errors than I'd of spent just typing it from the start.

Evil Queen
10-05-2008, 03:55 AM
This guy is from New Hampshire, right? Even with voice rec software, he'd return it because it doesn't work with his accent and certainly doesn't work in his typewriter. :lol:

Does anyone else miss the old type writers? Because I sure do.

DarkProwler
10-05-2008, 04:13 AM
Just use the keyboard....... :lol:

A keyboard. How quaint.

:p

SG15Z
10-05-2008, 05:28 AM
What science fiction isn't real!?!?!? You mean SG-1 didn't save to world more than 10 times! Beaming tech doesn't exist! Jedi mind trick don't work! Data was never built! Andromeda didn't get frozen in time for 300 years! Damn! My entire world has just been destroyed! :cry:

lol ;)

BroSCFischer
10-05-2008, 07:45 AM
you mean... none of it ever happened, Archer never saved us from anialation, Kirk never explored the galaxy, Piccard never whooped ass... you mean I can't actually instantly beam across the planet

What science fiction isn't real!?!?!? You mean SG-1 didn't save to world more than 10 times! Beaming tech doesn't exist! Jedi mind trick don't work! Data was never built! Andromeda didn't get frozen in time for 300 years! Damn! My entire world has just been destroyed! :cry:

You guys do realize that Star Trek takes place in the 22nd-24th centuries, and that we are only in the 21st, right. :D Because I'd hate for your dreams to be shattered, you should always remember that, in the case of future events, one little word always adds hope.

The word is "Yet.":)

SC

smileyeagle1021
10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
one little word always adds hope.

The word is "Yet.":)

SC

that word could also add dread... as in "an alien probe hasn't destroyed Florida and killed 7 million people... yet"

BroSCFischer
10-05-2008, 09:30 AM
that word could also add dread... as in "an alien probe hasn't destroyed Florida and killed 7 million people... yet"

Would it be that dreadful if the aliens destroyed Florida?:angel:

I was referring more to Warp Drive, androids and REAL space exploration, but I guess you have a point.

SC

smileyeagle1021
10-05-2008, 09:41 AM

I was referring more to Warp Drive, androids and REAL space exploration, but I guess you have a point.

SC

well, if you are a chief engineer on the NX01 who has a sister that lives there, then yes, it would be dreadful... otherwise... eh, it's one big tourist trap anyway :angel:

yes, I watch WAY too much Star Trek

though according to Star Trek there is stuff that has already happened... for example, aliens from the future attempted to release a bio-weapon back in 2004, and aliens were aiding the Nazis (I'm working on season 3 of Enterprise... I just finished the episode where Enterprise ends up going back to WW2 time period...)

Primer
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I still have mine. You want manual or electric?

The biggest problem I have is finding ribbons.

RayvenQ
10-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Space Marines are REAL! If you say they aren't then you shall be purged!

Becks
10-05-2008, 04:54 PM

I do!!

I even miss separating the letters because I'd type too fast. :lol:

PepperElf
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I actually had a guy ask me this week if he could buy a voice-command typewriter.
Actually you can get one.... kinda. Mac OSX has "Speech recognition" available in the System Preferences (it's a sub-menu of Speech). I don't know how well it works though cos it's not a function I use.

Broomjockey
10-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Actually you can get one.... kinda. Mac OSX has "Speech recognition" available in the System Preferences

Most OSs have some kind of speech recognition built in (heck, my web browser has speech recognition), and you can buy the software seperately for ages now (I think Dragon Naturally Speaking was the first. Or at least the first I heard of.), but as pointed out, that's not really a typewriter.

Evil Queen
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I still have mine. You want manual or electric?

The biggest problem I have is finding ribbons.

Either or. You can sometimes get Office Depot to special order the ribbons for you. I think I still have a box of ribbons from my old Brother Electric Typewriter.

Horsetuna
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Space Marines are REAL! If you say they aren't then you shall be purged!

For The Emperor of Mankind!!

I'd love to have a voice activated typer for me. It would make writing my book so much easier. Ah well.

Slytovhand
10-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Peoples peoples... only Star Trek isn't real.

The rest is all true!

The USAF just uses 'plausible deniability'. Didn't you see that episode???

Dave1982
10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Either or. You can sometimes get Office Depot to special order the ribbons for you. I think I still have a box of ribbons from my old Brother Electric Typewriter.

Ahem......Office Depot? http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/evilgrin/evilgrin0034.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-evilgrin-smileys.php)

Surely you jest, EQ. :lol:

SG15Z
10-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Peoples peoples... only Star Trek isn't real.

The rest is all true!

The USAF just uses 'plausible deniability'. Didn't you see that episode???

Or that movie in some cases? Good that means I can continue my plan to sneak into Cheyenne Mountain and go through the Stargate! Back to my planning!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

smileyeagle1021
10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Or that movie in some cases? Good that means I can continue my plan to sneak into Cheyenne Mountain and go through the Stargate! Back to my planning!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

can I sneak in with you? I've always wanted to go through a Stargate :lol:

SG15Z
10-07-2008, 03:40 AM
can I sneak in with you? I've always wanted to go through a Stargate :lol:

Sure I could use the help! I don't think I can get past all the airman by myself. :lol:

Andrew B.
10-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I want a ride in the TARDIS. That is all I want from a Sci-Fi world.

Broomjockey
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM

That's it? Geez, I've got grander ambitions. The least of what I'd want is a battlemech. Going upwards we'd go to Veritech, then a version of the Millenium Falcon, the Katana Dreadnought Fleet, a Stargate.

Bliss
10-08-2008, 10:50 PM

That's it? Geez, I've got grander ambitions. The least of what I'd want is a battlemech. Going upwards we'd go to Veritech, then a version of the Millenium Falcon, the Katana Dreadnought Fleet, a Stargate.

Only that? ONLY that? what do you mean ONLY that? First, the tardis kicks the butt of all other spaceships ever done. A Dreadnought is a toy compared to the tardis' capabilities.

Plus, the tardis is almost like a cornucopia. Wathever you want, you can go anywhere in space and time to get it!!! heck!

Myself... My biggest dream would be a spot in the tardis.... with capt. Jack in it.... ;)

Broomjockey
10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Only that? ONLY that? what do you mean ONLY that?

I mean, they didn't ask for ownership. They asked for *A* ride. I figure I want something awe-inspiring, or really flashy, and I wanna *own* it. :p

Evil Queen
10-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Ahem......Office Depot? http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/evilgrin/evilgrin0034.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-evilgrin-smileys.php)

Surely you jest, EQ. :lol:

Nope, no jesting. I could always get Gary to order them for me in TN.

Dave1982
10-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Nope, no jesting. I could always get Gary to order them for me in TN.

Oh...well......ok then......
:salmon:

smileyeagle1021
10-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Oh...well......ok then......
:salmon:

but Dave, I thought you didn't like Staples, hence the job status as "disenfranchised Staples slave" :p

Dave1982
10-09-2008, 04:10 AM
True, but that doesn't mean I like Office Depot :p

SpyOne
10-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Ok, I admit to being a pretty big Star Trek fan, but I can at least recognize that the technology portrayed is fictional.

:eek:

That was just one of those brain-freezing moments where you are so astounded that you can't respond right away. :brainbleach:

After a few seconds, I finally stammered "Ah, outside of science-fiction? No, sorry."

He seemed genuinely disappointed (though thankfully not angered) by my answer.

I think someone took Gary Seven's typewriter from "Assignment: Earth" a little too seriously. :cry:

While not exactly a "typewriter", something that fulfils that very purpose is not only available, but has been available for quite a while. A quick search using an advertising slogan I recall ("you talk, it types") turns up an IBM product to let you dictate to your Word Processor from 10 years ago (including a review that was composed by dictating it using the software), better versions of basicly the same thing from a year ago, and reviews of it being added as a standard feature of operating systems five years ago.
So an onld computer, running an old OS and some old software, should handle the "taking dictation" part quite easilly. add a cheap USB printer, and you've got a voice-command typewriter. Basicly.

(Just before they went obsolete, typewriters got pretty weird. In 1987, I owned a typewriter that was a dot-matrix thermal printer with a built-in keyboard and a 15 character LCD display. It couldn't be hooked to a computer; it was a dedicated typewriter machine, but it was basicly a cheap computer printer with manual controls. Ran on batteries, in fact, and was about the size of a laptop. At the same time, the "printer" for the mainframe computer at my school was an old teletype terminal hocked to the system as a terminal: you had to go log on to it, then run your program and it would print the output that normally appeared on the screen. (My favorite part was how it printed a long string of asterisks and then reset the print head so that when you typed your password it would be unreadable on the printout. I guess they couldn't make the thing not print whatever you typed, so they just made it print your password on top of enough other stuff that no one could read it.)

code-monkey
10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
He could try talking into the mouse. :D

Anyone else seen the IT crown, a channel 4 series in the UK.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlRrakjsUvo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MlRrakjsUvo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And the part from the closing credits.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dlgzz63Aw9Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dlgzz63Aw9Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bunnyboy
10-15-2008, 02:27 AM
For The Emperor of Mankind!!

Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!

Broomjockey
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
voice recognition software

voice-recognition software + word processor.:D

Voice recognition software and a computer

Mac OSX has "Speech recognition"

Most OSs have some kind of speech recognition built in

dictate to your Word Processor

I swear, one more person mentions voice recognition software I'm gonna close the thread, 'cause people obviously aren't reading it. :p

XCashier
10-16-2008, 02:51 AM
What science fiction isn't real!?!?!? You mean SG-1 didn't save to world more than 10 times! Beaming tech doesn't exist! Jedi mind trick don't work! Data was never built! Andromeda didn't get frozen in time for 300 years! Damn! My entire world has just been destroyed!
"Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."
-- bumper sticker

Ironclad Alibi
10-20-2008, 01:04 AM
One must very careful with Star Trek technology. You never know what can happen.

In the original sereies, they couldn't figure out a way to get the sliding doors to open automatically, so they had two guys behind the scenery operating levers to open the doors. Just think about how many guys have a job doing that today in all the stores with sliding doors.

And there was a cartoon recently showing Kirk and Spock observing the people of today and asking why their 24th century communicators didn't take pictures and play music.

PepperElf
10-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Stargate
Well... Stargate really did exist.

It just wasn't a giant gate to other planets.... it was just one of the many names given to the Remote Viewing project the military worked on... :)

Caveat Emptor
10-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Well, how do you expect me him to type, with his nose?
Did you see that?
The machine typed everything I
It's typing everything I'm saying!
Stop it.
Stop it!
STOP IT!

:p

SpyOne
10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I swear, one more person mentions voice recognition software I'm gonna close the thread, 'cause people obviously aren't reading it. :p

I'll admit I hadn't read the thread before I posted.

But I think it says something far more important that so many people thought the same thing: while the term the man was using might not be the right one, the thing he was asking for DOES exist, and IS commercially available.
Sorry, but if I have to rule one of the people in that exchange "sucky" or "Brain Burp-y", it isn't going to be the customer.

Dave1982
10-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I'll admit I hadn't read the thread before I posted.

But I think it says something far more important that so many people thought the same thing: while the term the man was using might not be the right one, the thing he was asking for DOES exist, and IS commercially available.
Sorry, but if I have to rule one of the people in that exchange "sucky" or "Brain Burp-y", it isn't going to be the customer.

If you had been there for the entire conversation I had with this gentleman, you wouldn't say that. He DID want a TYPEWRITER, not a computer program.

Mike Taylor
11-07-2008, 06:46 PM

SC

I'd prefer one that selectively destroyed the bad drivers from other states (and countries) who make my commute to work oh so pleasurable each day.

wolfie
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
One must very careful with Star Trek technology. You never know what can happen.

In the original sereies, they couldn't figure out a way to get the sliding doors to open automatically, so they had two guys behind the scenery operating levers to open the doors. Just think about how many guys have a job doing that today in all the stores with sliding doors.

And there was a cartoon recently showing Kirk and Spock observing the people of today and asking why their 24th century communicators didn't take pictures and play music.

From what I read about the series when it first went on the air, one problem they had with Star Trek: Enterprise (set as a "middle ground" between the present and the original series) was developing their fictional "partway there" technology - because in many cases, present-day tech had passed the futuristic projections.

Of course, any "fish out of water" setting (pardon the pun, considering the movie's subject matter) such as Scotty at a Mac in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home can be humourous. A bit off-topic, but one "throwaway" line was left intact by Soviet censors, and had audiences rolling in the aisles in Moscow - one of the principal characters (I believe it was Kirk, but it's a long time since I watched it) warned the others about the 20th century U.S. "Be careful - you are entering a primitive and paranoid society".