PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings started!

edible_hat
10-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Here in South Australia, daylight savings time has started three weeks earlier than usual.

my boss: "I wasn't sure if daylight savings starts tonight or tomorrow night, but I set my clock back this morning just to be sure."
me: "umm... it actually started last night, and you're supposed to set the clock forward an hour".
my boss: "Oh. That explains why the eftpos machine time is 2 hours ahead."

Kiwi
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
teach him this

FALL foward, SPRING back

thats how I remember it

smileyeagle1021
10-05-2008, 09:18 AM
aaahh, the CSers down under are hurting my brain... now I don't even remember when Daylight savings goes into effect in the northern hemisphere... (I think our cute saying makes more sense though, spring forward and fall back... good fighting terms :p)

Fenrus
10-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I usually remember it as "Hey, you're late to work" and "hey, why are you so early?"

It works for me...

edible_hat
10-05-2008, 09:53 AM
aaahh, the CSers down under are hurting my brain... now I don't even remember when Daylight savings goes into effect in the northern hemisphere...

According to my (American-made) calendar, it ends on November 2nd. Which happens to be when it was meant to start here except they changed it.

Spring forward, autumn back doesn't have the same ring to it.

I remember it by paying attention to the hundreds of media messages saying "Daylight Savings starts next week/tomorrow night/tonight" that we get.

Munkie
10-06-2008, 05:07 AM
i never remember unless someone asks me "Do you know what time it is??" or my alarm clock (which happens to be a cell phone) goes off earlier than usual.

Slytovhand
10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I remember by thinking "Hey, I get paid an extra hour at work tonight" or "Bastards, they're ripping me off!!!"

Soulstealer
10-07-2008, 12:42 AM
How do I get paid for that? I work Sundays and get off at 2am.

My supervisor is going to hate it if I go over the time sheet. As a student I'm not allowed to work more than 20 hours on a campus job (I'm obviously a horrid worker since I'd usually come in 15 minutes before he started enforcing it).

fireheart
10-07-2008, 12:54 AM
ohhh yes, daylight savings hell gyahh :runaway:
I wound up waking up later than I thought because I forgot to set my clock back (and I've still forgotten it, my lappy, work clocks etc. are all fine) and was nearly late for work. A few people were late.

EDIT: I've now actually set my clock correctly. It's a Pentel thing that doubles as a pen-holder and is shaped like a man.

edible_hat
10-07-2008, 06:28 AM
I forgot to mention, the weekend night shift guy left a note saying "REMEMBER DAYLIGHT SAVINGS STARTS THIS WEEKEND" in the communications book, so I deliberately made him think I'd forgotten by turning up 2 minutes late. (I'm usually 5-10 minutes early)

Argus
10-10-2008, 02:21 AM
I remember the spring when most of Indiana started doing daylight saving time. One friend told me that he was simply going to leave his clocks alone at home, so that he would have an extra hour to prepare for work. I eventually convinced him that his plan would result in his alarm clock going off with a display of x:30 at the same time that work started at x+1:30.

He had actually gotten this plan from a coworker. Because we had that conversation the weekend of the time change, he wasn't able to communicate the truth of the matter until his coworker arrived at work Monday morning. Late, of course.

MrSmiley
10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I live in one of two places in North America that doesn't observe daylight savings. We laugh at your clock fumbling brain burps (but then immediately make our own when we have to guess the time at most other locations in the world :P)

wanderingjoe72
10-17-2008, 12:54 AM
One of the benefits of living in AZ! I hate the idea of daylight savings. Nobody can even give a valid reason as to why it is even practiced anymore. Farming? Nope. More daylight? Not really. Write to your congress person and see if we can get it stopped.
It is not fun having to adjust my work schedule for the rest of the country.

DGoddessChardonnay
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Easiest way for me to remember it is this:

Spring - I lose an hour's sleep
Fall - I get to sleep in an extra hour.:lol:

Broomjockey
10-17-2008, 07:05 AM
One of the benefits of living in AZ! I hate the idea of daylight savings. Nobody can even give a valid reason as to why it is even practiced anymore.

Actually, they're mostly going of some old studies (70's for the most part) that indicate it saves energy. Supposedly a lot of it. Whether that's still true, or if there's more recent studies, I'm not sure.

edible_hat
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
It fades the cows and confuses the curtains!

RetailSlave
10-18-2008, 04:55 AM
I was actually glad when all of Indiana went to DST. For several years I lived in a county that didn't observe DST and went to school, worked and shopped in a county that did. It was very confusing, esp. when my husband worked in the same county we lived in, so he worked on "slow time" and I worked on "fast time" (slow and fast time was how they referred to EDT and EST around here). It took years for them to actually get it changed because too many of the population believed that standard time was "God's time" and didn't want it messed with, plus all the farmers said it messed with the animals and getting their chores done. A bunch of them are saying they won't vote to re-elect the Governor because he let them get that "Stupid daylight savings time". I know my in-laws hated it because they like to go to bed early and having the TV stations an hour ahead (since they were based in Louisville KY) let them watch their shows and get to bed early.

Kaylyn
10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Easiest way for me to remember it is this:

Spring - I lose an hour's sleep
Fall - I get to sleep in an extra hour.:lol:

Or, for us night-shifters...an extra hour's work in fall, a short night in spring...

*is not looking forward to the upcoming time change and a 13-hour shift for that night*