PDA

View Full Version : It's big, it's green...how can you miss it?

fireheart
10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
My little spiel for the EFTPOS machine mainly allows people to tell me if they want cash out BEFORE they key in their PIN (we have to do it BEFORE they swipe their card) and also allows for me to tell people when to swipe their cards.
My little spiel is something like this:

"Swipe your card, select your account, key in your pin and/or press OK." (we have the option of keying in a PIN or not with a credit account)

Our EFTPOS machine has "enter" written on it instead of OK. A lot of customers will look at me weirdly at that point and go "Where's the OK button?"

Seriously, it's big, it's fat, it's green, IT MEANS OK AND ENTER!!!!

edible_hat
10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I've had somebody, when the transaction was rejected because the wrong PIN was entered, demand their cash out.

We don't offer cash out. The idiot had entered the amount they wanted instead of their PIN.

SG15Z
10-10-2008, 05:12 AM
I love our machines. Cause it says "please enter PIN or press ENTER for CREDIT" and they either press cancel :confused: or they ask "where's the ENTER button?" :cry:

Um....it's the big giant green one that says "ENTER"!!!!!!! sigh

sarahj
10-13-2008, 10:53 AM
My problem with the EFTPOS machines is that cashiers have to put in the amount of cash out before the customer swipes their card. So when I see my customer holding a card I ask "any cash out?" and then hit the appropriate buttons on the register. Then, and only then, does the machine 'activate' and allow a card to be swiped. You wouldn't believe how many people stand there, deciding if they want cash, just swiping their card over and over. :lol: "Ummmmm......" *swipeswipeswipe* I finally give up and tell them it won't read the card until I put in the cash out. :rolleyes:

Oh, customers can swipe their card during a transaction and enter the amount of cash out themselves, and quite a few customers actually do this. But it's got to the point where the "thinking ahead" customers swipe early and know what they're doing, and the clueless ones are the repeat swipers later on.

joetheman
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
haha ours is so simple, they just swipe and press either credit debit or ebt and if they want cash back we just ask them and we enter it manually.

the one problem is when you scan their reward/club card it blocks the machine from recieving any swipes until it's cleared, so a lot of customers hand me their card then swipe their credit card and wonder why it doesn't work.

not really their fault I always just hold off on scanning the club card until they swipe theirs, or just tell them to wait a second.

fireheart
10-15-2008, 12:18 AM
My problem with the EFTPOS machines is that cashiers have to put in the amount of cash out before the customer swipes their card. So when I see my customer holding a card I ask "any cash out?" and then hit the appropriate buttons on the register. Then, and only then, does the machine 'activate' and allow a card to be swiped. You wouldn't believe how many people stand there, deciding if they want cash, just swiping their card over and over. :lol: "Ummmmm......" *swipeswipeswipe* I finally give up and tell them it won't read the card until I put in the cash out. :rolleyes:

Oh, customers can swipe their card during a transaction and enter the amount of cash out themselves, and quite a few customers actually do this. But it's got to the point where the "thinking ahead" customers swipe early and know what they're doing, and the clueless ones are the repeat swipers later on.

Lol, I feel your pain sarah (and yes, I think we do work for the same company). And it is funny to watch customers going "swipeswipeswipe" before the cash out actually works.
Also, like most places, we do not do Chip and PIN. I had two people the other day attempt to do it Chip and PIN style. Eventually they gave up and paid by debit card. (I had to call down my sup for this as well)