PDA

View Full Version : Condescending uppity bitch at Payless

Mighty Girl
10-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I took my daughter with me to Payless near our house to hunt for some cheap clogs. I've never owned clogs before, and I'll be damned if I'm going to fork over a big chunk of moolah then find out I hate them. While I was there, I noticed my purse hanging on my shoulder differently, and discovered that the strap was on it's last legs (yes, I pack it too full, way too full). Shockingly enough, I found comfy and adorable clogs in a nice dark gray color, as well as a downright perfect purse- right size, right color, right price. Both were even on sale. And I found both of them before my daughter showed any signs of having a "I'm getting bored" meltdown. At the rate I was going, my next stop would have been to buy some lottery tickets.

I should have known it was too good to last.

As we walk up to the cash register, I notice a SEVERLY bitchy and uptight looking middle aged woman with shoeboxes piled high instructing the cashier how to process a return. Of course this is no normal return. (Don't you just love it when God has a sense of humor?)

She bought five pairs of shoes in varying sizes, I assume for herself and her spawn.... She wanted to return them, but apparently one of the returns was actually an exchange and someone told her that a certain shoe was in stock and it wasn't and she wanted the cashier to call every Payless in the tri-state area looking for it so they could have it shipped here for her majesty.
(Note to self- when demanding above and beyond service- make sure you're at Saks or Talbots, not freakin Payless). So, she finally resigned herself to the fact that this wasn't possible. Was it over?

Not likely. It is at this point, that the cashier sees beyond this woman's smoke and mirrors and sees that there are only four shoe boxes on the counter. "What?! Well what did you do with the fifth pair?" (Yeah, I'm sure with you breathing down her neck that she found a few extra seconds to hide them up her ass) The cashier looks at her like WTF? At this point, my oh-so-understanding toddler finally loses her cool and demands to go look out the window. I let loose with a little passive-aggression (Well, we can't honey, we're waiting in line and I know it's been QUITE A WHILE, but hopefully we can LEAVE SOON ). Needless to say, queen bitch is deaf to all but her own demands. And I'm on to her- she thinks that with me and my daughter in line behind her that it will fluster the cashier, ESPECIALLY if my daughter decides to throw a fit. No way lady, I'm not helping you. So, in my loudest unleash-inner-bitch voice I say "Come on honey, let's go look at the Dora backpacks for a while- then they can finish up here" I knew I was right b/c she actually shot me a dirty look- which I countered nicely.

So then she has the girl process it as a normal return and to call her if the oh-so-important pair of shoes miraculously shows up. So the cashier does, then the lady loses it. The cashier had the NERVE to give her a NEW RECEIPT showing the returns and planned to keep the original receipt for her records. The woman practically shit a brick. She insisted that she NEEDED THAT RECEIPT FOR HER RECORDS, and there was much panting and arm waving and nail tapping. She was so animated, my daughter put down the backpack and sat down to watch the crazy woman. She needed it so bad, to make sure that it came off her account and blah blah blah. So then she started bargaining- why don't they just take a copy of it (no can do). Well she can go get a copy at the store and bring it back (nope). More huffing and puffing.

Finally after another 10 minutes of her fits, she accepts that life is just not fair and takes her new receipt and vows never to step foot in there again.

I couldn't help it.

It was too much to resist.

It was like dangling a hunk of filet in front of a rottweiler. You can't hold back, IT'S RIGHT THERE!

So, before she reached the door to leave, and as I collected my daughter to finally go pay for our stuff, I said it.

PITA: I'm never EVER shopping here again.
Me: Don't get my hopes up like that!

Bitch hit the door so hard on her way out I think she may have a broken elbow. Serves her right.

TruthHurts
10-07-2006, 08:52 AM
That was awesome:yourock: I would have done the same thing in your situation.

ditchdj
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm sure it really pissed her off a lot more. Being a native and travelling through that state countless times, I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met, especially in Toledo where all the blue-collar jobs are being replaced with brand-new Wendy's and Bob Evans restaurants and big-box stores that only lift you halfway off of welfare.

Becks
10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
MG, I bow down before you. :worship:

I bet that ending made the cashier's day, too.

Mighty Girl
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I bet that ending made the cashier's day, too.

She seemed very flustered. When we finally got our turn up there, I told her they should seriously consider hiring bouncers. I was trying to lighten the mood, I genuinely felt bad for her. She looked about 19, maybe. Clearly that woman ('cause I can tell you she was NO lady) has either never worked with the public before, or she has and has decided now it's her turn to be the windshield instead of the bug. I've always been pretty blunt, and things have a tendency to jump out of my mouth before I've had a chance to stop them (one of the reasons I've had so many jobs)......

Mighty Girl
10-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm sure it really pissed her off a lot more. Being a native and travelling through that state countless times, I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met, especially in Toledo where all the blue-collar jobs are being replaced with brand-new Wendy's and Bob Evans restaurants and big-box stores that only lift you halfway off of welfare.

Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road. They either drive slow as molasses or like they've been shot out of a canon. And they never EVER yield. Turn signals? Forget it. Brake lights broken? Too bad, so sad, won't get them fixed. I've seen people packing suitcases and talking on the phone WHILE barreling down the highway doing 80 mph, usually changing lanes frantically.

I've lived here my whole life, and when I drive elsewhere, I'm always stunned speechless by the generous nature of the drivers.

I'm in Northeast Ohio, btw.

Rahmota
10-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Ditchdj wrote:I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met

mightygirl wrote:Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road. They either drive slow as molasses or like they've been shot out of a canon. And they never EVER yield. Turn signals? Forget it. Brake lights broken? Too bad, so sad, won't get them fixed. I've seen people packing suitcases and talking on the phone WHILE barreling down the highway doing 80 mph, usually changing lanes frantically.

I've lived here my whole life, and when I drive elsewhere, I'm always stunned speechless by the generous nature of the drivers.

And this is why we call Ohio two states for the price of one. I live in southern ohio (not too far from the river) and for the most part the folks around here are pretty cool. I've had strangers stop to help when I've had car trouble even. I get above oh say route 70 and things start changing. Oh well to each their own. We got our own good folks and bad folks too.

Not wanting to start another civil war or nuthin just gotta defend the south (ohio that is I say:lol: ;) ) againt northern aggression.:angel:

Gurndigarn
10-08-2006, 01:17 AM

Really? I spent quite a bit of time in various parts of Ohio, including the northeast, and did quite fine, so long as I avoided Youngstown. Admittedly, I rarely caught the central Cleveland to Toledo area, but still, compared to Illinois and Indiana, I've thought Ohio drivers quite respectful.

Becks
10-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road.

Nah, I'd like to nominate Illinois, New Jersey and cab drivers in Manhatten as the worst ever.

But then, I heard drivers in Saudi Arabia are beyond insane. :shrug:

ZumZum
10-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Nah, I'd like to nominate Illinois, New Jersey and cab drivers in Manhatten as the worst ever.

But then, I heard drivers in Saudi Arabia are beyond insane. :shrug:

Sorry, but I think the drivers in CT are the WORST. They are crazy.

Mighty Girl
10-08-2006, 03:47 AM
All you need to do to verify the sociopathic nature of our drivers is head towards Cleveland- and spend a good 10 minutes driving on 480 in any direction.

Truly frightening. When I was working up by the lake, they started doing some more construction (fyi- they're always doing construction- the weather here is really unpredictable- so things freeze and thaw much more often, which means roads need paved more often). Instead of reducing the number of lanes from 4 to 3, they maintained the same number of lanes but made them more narrow. I'm still convinced that some SOB in the transportation dept. decided to practice his own version of natural selection.

So many accidents.

There are at least three accidents, in the Cleveland area on 480 every day, and when the weather gets bad, that number usually at least triples. If you go slower than 75, you risk getting driven right over. And they'll flick you off while they're doing it.

Seanette
10-08-2006, 06:15 AM
If you go slower than 75, you risk getting driven right over. And they'll flick you off while they're doing it.
Add the frantic lane changing and aversion to use of turn signals, and you've just described drivers in several parts of California. In Los Angeles, those nutjobs think the laws of *physics* are non-binding advisories! Especially that bit about how two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. That's a personal challenge as far as they're concerned.

Sacramento traffic isn't *quite* that bad, but it's bad enough that I rarely drive here. I'm quite happy to let the nice professional drivers in the transit system get me where I need to go, in a bigger heavier vehicle that gives me better survival odds if/when something goes wrong. :angel:

blas
10-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Not that I don't love a good road rant (or two or three or a whole thread dedicated to them teeheeheee)...but if I may but in and get this back on the Payless topic...

My mom took up a second job at Payless back when I was in middle school, and she stayed there (for some reason) until the time we moved. The stories my mom could post on this site.........and yes, it IS true......people DO walk into a Payless and expect to be treated as if they were at Saks or a more swanky of store. Not ripping on Payless, that's where I buy nearly all of my shoes, but it IS true. I'll repeat what I said on another thread.....people have had the gall to try and barter and complain about prices and policies at GOODWILL for pete's sake!

People are capable of anything. If there's something to whine about, they'll do it. If there's something to scam, people will try and scam. If there's something in it to benefit oneself (although it may be wrong and even illegal) people will do it.

Man's greatest talent is making a huge ass out of him/herself.

headache grey
10-08-2006, 08:41 AM
what a cow. but great job on ruining her act :D
she describes more or less exactly what my boyfriend and I have come to call "the Payless attitude." more nicely wrapped trash, basically...

by the way, I have to attest to the hideousness of Ohio drivers...because I am one of them :o I'm in southwestern Ohio though, where people drive slower than shit in their giant hipped trucks (WHO needs 6 wheels to get to church and bob evans???) and my tiny old accord and I can't see around them unless I pass them on the right, going 90, tying my shoes and talking on the phone.

this is probably the reason everyone always gets me to drive when we go north.

protege
10-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned West Virginia drivers. Since SW PA is surrounded by WV on two sides, we get a fair amount of WV idiots...especially in the southern counties. These morons are usually the ones doing 55mph in the 65mph zones on I-79. They also *refuse* to get out of the passing (left) lane, even though they're only going 55mph, and can't understand why everyone passing them on the right gives them the Pittsburgh Salute. The same thing also applies to most two-lane roads as well.

However, the few times I've been into WV, they don't seem to have as many problems driving down there. Go figure.

I agree that people will bitch and moan about prices anywhere. No matter if it's Payless, J.C. Penney's or even Walmart. No matter what the price is, it's never low enough. The shoes could be *free* and they'd find something else to bitch about.

LostMyMind
10-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I hate to break it to your protege, the 65mph is the speed limit which means that the fastest you can go. If you look, on most interstates there are min speed signs. And it's usually 40mph. Granted they should be on the left hand lane since they're slower traffic, but they aren't morons for following the law.

That drive me more crazy more than anything else. People thinking that speed limit means minimum speed.

chainedbarista
10-09-2006, 08:35 PM
try haiti; no traffic signs to speak of, no streets for the most part. licenses? what are those? don't get me started on lanes...:eek:

i've also been told south korea's pretty wild, too.

protege
10-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I hate to break it to your protege, the 65mph is the speed limit which means that the fastest you can go. If you look, on most interstates there are min speed signs. And it's usually 40mph. Granted they should be on the left hand lane since they're slower traffic, but they aren't morons for following the law.

That drive me more crazy more than anything else. People thinking that speed limit means minimum speed.

When our speed limit was raised to 55mph back in the mid-90s, the state actually did a study on it. After everything was said and done, the limit was raised...simply because the limits surrounding states (at that time) were 65 anyway, and most drivers were simply going with traffic. It also found that people doing under the limit were holding up traffic.

Most highways in SW PA, except for the turnpike, don't have minimum speed limits posted. It's only 45mph, btw.

I don't know about most people here, but I find it annoying that I'm doing the legal limit, like most people here...and have to constantly slam on the brakes because of people going well under it...who suddenly decide to move into the left (passing) lane. However, these people can, and sometimes are pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic.

LostMyMind
10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't know about most people here, but I find it annoying that I'm doing the legal limit, like most people here...and have to constantly slam on the brakes because of people going well under it...who suddenly decide to move into the left (passing) lane. However, these people can, and sometimes are pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic.
Well, they get pulled over and impedes the traffic more :lol: Those kind of tickets are rarely successfully won in court. A judge won't fine you for "impeding the flow" of speeders.

I've notice the folks who say, "I follow the speed limit" are the ones also saying "5 miles over is not speeding" as well.

Anyone who gripes about someone following the speed limit because it "impedes" them going faster needs to slow down, nothing is so important that arriving 2 to 3 secs will change the world.

Rahmota
10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
After having been in training to be a cop I can tell you that unless the person is going so slow that they are actually causing a threat most cops arn't going to bother with these rolling roadblocks. As long as they are above the minimum speed (which is generally around 45 or so on the interstate and none on the highways in ohio) they are doing a good deed by slowing down the reckless operators thinking its daytona out there. Which that is another thign that makes me mad. The idiots weaving in and out of traffic like they are dale Jr or something. I've been on I75 and doing 60 before and passed by some yahoo doign probably about a hundred. Its insane. And 66mph in a 65 zone is legally defined as excessive speed and can get you a ticket. Though most of the time the officer will let you slide unless you are doing something else that gets their attention, or hes in a bad mood.

Which that does remind me of somethign that happened on one of my ridealongs. We had pulled over a person for doing 60 in a 55. He started getting all peeved and demanded to see the radar gun. Well in Ohio there is no legal requirement for the officer to show you the radar gun. The ticket is all you need to see and legally you have to proove you where not speeding or that there where other extenuating circumstances that would cause the radar unit to misread. Each unit is calibrated at the begining and end of each shift and the courts take that record/word over some rocket jockey wanting toget out of his speeding ticket.

Well the officer I was asigned to told him he was being hostile and was not going to be getting out of his car unless it was to take a ride in the back of ours, and explained the situation to him. A few insults and threats about his lawyers he got a ticket for excessive speed, and a couple other things because he was a jerk and let loose. Of course we put his plates on the radio to let other officers know abnout how big a jerk he was so I hope he was real careful the rest of his drive. I mean ofc. dan was just pulling him over so I could get some experience witha traffic stop (which is arguabley one of the most dangerous times for an officer, cause he has no idea whats waiting for him in the car.) and we where going to give him a warning to slow down when he started getting all hyperbent about how his rights where being trampled and police state BS. I am sorry but you do not have the right to speed., technically you do not have the RIGHT to drive it is a priviledge and if you abuse it then you will pay the price for it.

K245five
10-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Y'know, Pennsylvania is pretty much the same way as far as the people are concerned. Only difference is that Pennsylvania has a huge elderly population. Heck, the elderly are the worst offenders when it comes to being crabasses here in Pennsylvania! Then, you have the rednecks and blue-collar people who have their ENTIRE identity wrapped up in their job in the steel mill, coal mine, machine shop, etc. and are obsessed with being real man's man type of people! Thus, they act all hard, macho, and tough and come across as bullies.

And, this definitely translates into their driving! The elderly drive very slow and erratic, and the blue-collar and redneck crowd drive like they are aspiring NASCAR drivers, but they don't have anywhere near the skills to cut the mustard. I'm driving on the Interstate and Turnpike, and I'll be doing about 70 or so, and people will STILL be passing me! What's yer hurry, people!?

One last thing here. I don't have anything against anyone who is "blue-collar" and puts in an honest days work with their hands. What i'm getting at in this post is the people who have their whole identity and self-worth tied up in their job, whether it be a steel worker, coal miner, machinist, etc.. In other words, people who seem to take their jobs and their "blue-collar" identity way too seriously. I've seen people in other regions of the country who work in industrial blue-collar labor, but to them, it's just their job, not their whole identity.

Maybe it's just this region of the country(Mid-Atlantic) that breeds people who put a high premium on being tough and acting like a "real man". And perhaps that accounts for all of the anger and unfriendliness.

ditchdj
10-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I've kinda pictured Ohioans in general as a stereotypical angry and foul New Yorker with a chip on his shoulder (you know like the kind of guy that likes to go around screaming at people, "I'll kick yo fookin' ass you fooker!" in his spare time) with an Iowa or Minnesota accent.

Gurndigarn
10-11-2006, 03:10 AM
One last thing here. I don't have anything against anyone who is "blue-collar" and puts in an honest days work with their hands. What i'm getting at in this post is the people who have their whole identity and self-worth tied up in their job, whether it be a steel worker, coal miner, machinist, etc.. In other words, people who seem to take their jobs and their "blue-collar" identity way too seriously.

Hell, what's really bad is when McDonald's managers wrap their entire identity in their job. It's truely sad to see.

Mighty Girl
10-14-2006, 03:50 AM
I've kinda pictured Ohioans in general as a stereotypical angry and foul New Yorker with a chip on his shoulder (you know like the kind of guy that likes to go around screaming at people, "I'll kick yo fookin' ass you fooker!" in his spare time) with an Iowa or Minnesota accent.

You forgot entitlement-minded. Ohioans aren't "angry" until you imply that they aren't entitled to cut you off, take your parking space and give you expicit directions straight to hell.

I've had to adopt a defensive-driving attitude matched by no other ever since my daughter was born. See- now I'm home during the day- you know who else is home during the day? Retirees. And it seems the older they get, the bigger their car gets. I continually get stuck behind some blue hair (yes, that's what we call them) going 20 in a 35 trying to decide where on earth she's going. Then when they do figure it out, their final decision is often to make a right turn from the far left lane, and then look around incredulously as the horns are blaring. And the men? They're way worse, because back in their day, women "knew their place". You should see the looks I get from these old codgers when I pass them- like they want to smack a scarlet letter right on my shirt.

Ok, done ranting (for now).

friendofjimmyk
10-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Being a native and travelling through that state countless times, I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met, .

HEY, WOAH! I was born in Cleveland, Ohio!!!! :(

ditchdj
10-16-2006, 12:09 AM
HEY, WOAH! I was born in Cleveland, Ohio!!!! :(

Even my wife noticed the lack of respect people have for each other up there. When we were back in Toledo she told me she was getting ready to turn and a car full of teenagers went by cussing at her and giving her the finger. I just replied, "Welcome to Toledo" because it doesnt shock me at all. One thing I noticed about teaching here is that kids in the schools are much better behaved overall. I was purely shocked when I had a few kids address ME as "Sir"! :eek: A far cry from the other "nicknames" kids have for teachers up there such as bitch and faggot. And what's more sad is that people up there think that kind of behavior is acceptable.

MadMike
10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
A far cry from the other "nicknames" kids have for teachers up there such as bitch and faggot. And what's more sad is that people up there think that kind of behavior is acceptable.

We had names like that for some of the teachers when I went to school as well. Only difference was, we never said it to their faces. :D