PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Books/Novels/Pieces of Writing?

prb
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
What do you enjoy?

I enjoy The Fountainhead the The Cathedral and The Bazaar.

Parrothead
10-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Watership Down and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

And The Princess Bride, and The Last Unicorn, and the Jack Sparrow series that was written for like 10-year-olds and the Apropos of Nothing books

Evil Queen
10-13-2008, 11:13 PM
The Great Gatsby will always be my favourite book. For me it's the most reread worthy book out there. :yes:

edible_hat
10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm currently re-reading The great and Secret Show, but only because I didn't realise I've read it before.

Favourites I return to again and again: Cryptonomicon, the Baroque Cycle books, Neuromancer, Hackers: A Cyberpunk Anthology (short stories).

BookstoreEscapee
10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Crazeyal
10-14-2008, 12:11 AM
The Ender series by Orson Scott Card

The Bean series (AKA the Shadow series) by the same Author

The early Xanth novels by Peirs Anthony (the well is so dry the books spill sand these days)

The Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg

Myth Adventures by the late LAMENTED Robert Asprin

Custard Chick
10-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Harry Potter series.

Twilight series.

His Dark Materials series.

Women's Murder Club series.

I like series. :D

AnaKhouri
10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
My favorite books I read once every few years:

The Last Unicorn

The War of the Worlds

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The Persian Boy

The Remains of the Day

The other day my husband counted our books out of curiosity...1,171! I can only imagine how bad it will be after we finally get a house! :eek:

Gawdzillers
10-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Fight Club.

"This must be an emergency.
Oh.
We just lost cabin pressure.
Oh."

PhotoChick
10-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm with Parrothead, Wicked is an awesome. And the other book he wrote, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I also like Ella Enchanted (the book, I hate, hate, hate the movie), Just Ella, and Beauty. All written for the 10year old demographic.

SorryIsGoodEnough
10-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I really enjoyed The Cup of the World, and it's sequel...whatever it's called. It was good though. :P

Gotta mention Kushiel, of course. Whoo hoo!

Godslayer and Banewreaker.

Severen13
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (yes, that Hugh Laurie) :D

AdminAssistant
10-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Well, I never get to read anything not related to school. :cry:

That said, the greatest play ever written in English is Hamlet. I can curl up on a rainy afternoon with it and a cup of cocoa and be perfectly content. Why, yes, I AM geek. My favorite play overall is Cyrano de Bergerac (I may be writing a paper on it soon *giggle*).

I do enjoy the Dan Brown novels, especially Angels and Demons. Alan Alda's memoirs are quite good, as well. I had to read Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov last semester for a Russian/Soviet theatre history class. My professor hailed it as the greatest novel of the 20th-century. I'm not sure I agree. I mean, naked witches flying on pigs :wtf:.

Imogene
10-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Wicked is an awesome. And the other book he wrote, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I couldn't get more than a few chapters into Wicked. Something about it bugged me... You know there's a sequel to it already? Son of a Witch, and there's soon to be a second about the cowardly lion.

No one's mentioned Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels yet? I haven't read a single one that wasn't both: hilarious, and had a message. All of them have both qualities.
Or Simon R Green's two major series? Deathstalker, and the Blue Moon books/Hawk and Fisher?Both take the genre they occupy and twist them on their heads. Blue Moon's fantasy/mystery... Deathstalker's Space Opera. Mmm, tingly.

SorryIsGoodEnough
10-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Oh, did I mention I adore Dostoyevsky?

Yay.

ThePhoneGoddess
10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
The Night Of The Hunter by Davis Grubb. I love this book. It is very sad and vulnerable, and frightening and wicked at the same time. Beautifully written, too.

I also love Ulysses by James Joyce. It's like chewing on taffy. You can't just zip through the book, you have to read it slowly, and think a lot about what you're reading. I've read it 3 times already and I still don't get it all. Hopefully by the time I die I will have read it enough to get most of it. :lol:

The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco. I had to read all of the classic writers the priest refers to in this book in college, so I love it because I can get all of the references. That, and it's a damn fine yarn.

The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. This book always takes my breath away, with its beauty and depiction of emotional corruption.

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. Considered the first modern action-adventure novel. I love it for the depiction of knights and chivalry, and for Rebecca of York, one of the most fascinating female characters in the history of Western Literature.

BookstoreEscapee
10-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Forever by Pete Hamill

I couldn't get more than a few chapters into Wicked. Something about it bugged me... You know there's a sequel to it already? Son of a Witch, and there's soon to be a second about the cowardly lion.

Already? Wicked came out in 1996 (I had to buy it for a class my senior year in college; it was fairly new in hardcover then). Son of a Witch came out in 2005; A Lion Among Men is the 3rd, out this month. (I didn't realize there was a new book coming out, but that explains all the Wicked gifty stuff on special displays in B&N - pens, hats, tshirts, etc. It's also the 5th anniversary of the Broadway show.)

I liked Wicked, but I never read Son of a Witch. I couldn't get into Ugly Stepsister, either. He has a couple others: Mirror, Mirror and Lost. Haven't tried to read them.

Who said The Sound and the Fury? I hated that book. The one book in college that I actually had to get Cliffs Notes for (not an easy feat from my little school in the middle of nowhere with no car). Oddly enough, I wrote my midterm paper on it, despite my hatred.

ThePhoneGoddess
10-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Who said The Sound and the Fury? I hated that book. The one book in college that I actually had to get Cliffs Notes for (not an easy feat from my little school in the middle of nowhere with no car). Oddly enough, I wrote my midterm paper on it, despite my hatred.

*raises hand* That was me. I have noticed that people either really like stream-of-consciousness writing or they really don't. I love it, which is why Ulysses is my favorite book, and why I also love Henry Miller. TSATF is also written that way. I am intrigued by the fact that you wrote your paper on it. It's an insidious story. it gets in your craw and doesn't let go. It really stuck with you, didn't it? ;)

clod75
10-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord Of The Rings"- ALL of the volumes.

For the longest time I refused to see the movies :lol: because I was scared they would all suck:rolleyes: but I was happy when I did. They don't ever replace the books though.

saint
10-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Most anything by Vonnegut or T.S. Eliot will rock my world

CaroPhoenix
10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
The Plague by Camus

Any books that deal with the "Dark Jewels Trilogy" by Anne Bishop

The "Death of" series by M. C. Beaton

All of the J. D. Robb mysteries

Anything written by Kinky Friedman

Hercule Poirot mysteries by Agatha Christie

Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

These are my favorite Children's books:

Anything about "Charlie and Lola" by Lauren Childs

"I love you all day long" and "Daddy all day long" by Francesca R.

The Rollie Polie Olie stories by William Joyce

The Miss Spider stories by Kirk

All The Backyardigans stories

smileyeagle1021
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh, did I mention I adore Dostoyevsky?

Yay.
Crime and Punishment FTW

Oh and also I love the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch (6 published books, one unpublished). Love the characters... that is Feintuch's strength is in his ability to make characters who you become involved with).

yeah... I'm actually kind of ashamed to admit that while reading the books I've had feelings that some would consider a crush for some of the characters.

CaroPhoenix
10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah... I'm actually kind of ashamed to admit that while reading the books I've had feelings that some would consider a crush for some of the characters.

I've had a crush on Sherlock Holmes for most of my life. :p So no worries ... I don't think you're odd!

lupo pazzesco
10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
First and foremost my god of the literary, Tolkien!! I read the Lord of the Rings books once a year, at least. I agree with clod that the movies were good, but will never replace the books. I just told myself Hollywood had to interpret them to get the main points across to the masses, not just die hard Tolkien fans. Ahem. Moving on.

Anne Bishop's Black Jewels world, and her two books Sebastian and Belladonna. Another brilliant writer, IMHO.

Michelle Sagara's series about Elantra, Cast In Shadow, Cast In Courtlight, Cast In Secret and Cast in Fury

Love anything by Mercedes Lackey, and Elizabeth Hadyon's series is also phenomenal.

I also like to read true crime and historical stories about plagues and diseases. Top favorites in that category are:

Diseases and Human Evolution by Ethne Barnes

Witnesses From the Grave: The Stories Bones Tell by Christopher Joyce and Eric Stover

Demon in the Freezer by Robert Preston

The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, the Epidemic that Shaped Our History by Molly Caldwell Crosby

Return of the Black Death: The World's Worst Serial Killer by Susan Scott and Christopher Duncan

Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm, Where the Dead Do Tell Tales by Dr. William Bass and Jon Jefferson.

William Bass is one of my heroes in my field. I fangirl over him, and am supremely disappointed that I'll never get to work with him, as he's retiring before I graduate, AND there is, at last check, at least a 3 year wait list to work at the Body Farm. <Sigh>

Er...I have lots more favorites, but this is rather long as it is...more later, I suppose.

cinema guy
10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Dracula by Bram Stoker is probably my favourite book.

I also like Dickens, particularly Little Dorrit.

I also read and reread Jasper Fforde's books, His Dark Materials, Robert B. Parker's Spencer books and Christopher Moore's very, very funny books.

CaroPhoenix
10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Anne Bishop's Black Jewels world, and her two books Sebastian and Belladonna. Another brilliant writer, IMHO.

:doh: How could I forget the Ephemera series by Anne Bishop? Thanks for reminding me Lupo!

Also, the Blending Series (The Blending - which is 5 books and then the sequel: The Blending Throned (or something like that)). All the books are written by Sharon Greene.

My husband has turned me onto the writings of Robert E. Howard (he wrote the Conan novels and Soloman Kane and other books).

And of course I love Star Trek books! :lol:

I also like the "Star Wrekked" novels - but I can't remember the writer's name - can anyone help me?

Shangri-laschild
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
The Discworld Series

The Mercy Thompson Series (plus the offshoot, Cry Wolf)

The Dresden Series

Strangers In Paradise

Lace Neil Singer
10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord Of The Rings"- ALL of the volumes.

For the longest time I refused to see the movies :lol: because I was scared they would all suck:rolleyes: but I was happy when I did. They don't ever replace the books though.

Hell no. But I will hunt Peter Jackson (who is rumoured to be directing The Hobbit) down and kill him if he massacres The Hobbit. :angel: Actually, bitching about the bits they left out of the movies is one of my fave ever pasttimes; however, I have to make sure that my audience is not gnawing their own legs off in boredom every so often. XD

Which brings me to another series of books I like; the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Yep, that is the first one, but my fave is The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. I so want to go there, dammit!

I also like The Wasp Factory, and Lord Of The Flies. Everyone I know hates The Wasp Factory, I'd love to find a fellow fan. ^^

Boggles
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
The Jasper Fforde books of course (see signature) but only the Thursday Next series. I'm not a big fan of the Nursery Crime books.

The Discworld series. Especially Soul Music and the current Moist Von Lipwig trilogy.

I have read and re-read Douglas Coupland's MicroSerfs and also J-Pod.

I like a lof of other series such as the Lincoln Rhyme novels and Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels.

Also I have to mention Deric Longden. He is an author who writes about his life with his blind wife and umpteen cats in Huddersfield (nearest town to here.) If your local library has them then I would really recommend them although I would warn you that the first two (Diana's Story & Lost For Words) will have you sat bawling your eyes out at some points. Both deal with the loss of loved ones (his wife and mother) but still find the humour in everything.

And finally the Gervase Phinn books. He is a retired schools inspector from the Yorkshire Dales and the books are all about his meetings with the little angels in the schools. Well worth a read.

InsanityInc
10-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm going to put in a plug for Laurell K. Hamilton. I like the Anita Blakes', and absolutly love the Merry Gentry series. Both are alt reality series where magic works, and there really are things like the fae, zombies, vampires, werewolves, etc.

Most Lackey, McCaffrey, Koontz, I go back and forth from mysteries to sci fi to true crime to whatever catches my eye.
I HATE romance, but my mom got me hooked on a series (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit) by Kay Hooper about a FBI unit that uses sci powers. Because they are so good at using their powers, and catching the bad guys, they catch cases on real monsters. It has a good enough plot and story line to let me overlook the romance thread running through it.

Eric the Grey
10-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, I never get to read anything not related to school. :cry:

I'm in the same boat. I solved my problem by listening to audio books from Audible in my truck while going to and from work/school/game/GF's. :D I'm currently listening to Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. I find that I can listen to hard (or not-so) Science Fiction much more than I can read it.

For reading, I prefer Fantasy titles. I'm a huge fan of Mercedes Lackey's "Valdemar" series of books as well as Tolkien, Robert Jordan (can't wait to read the conclusion of his series) and Pratchett.

Usually, there is enough to keep me in new titles, but there are a few that I'll go back to ever so often. One of the few books I re-read every few years is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Edit: I was just checking out titles on Audible and found Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books in audio format, read by Neil Gaiman! Guess what I'm ordering for my selection for this month??

:cool: Eric the Grey

CaroPhoenix
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Jack Whyte's Camulod series. It's based on the King Arthur Legends.

Eberron books by various authors.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

I'll add more when I think of them. :D

cinema guy
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Hell no. But I will hunt Peter Jackson (who is rumoured to be directing The Hobbit) down and kill him if he massacres The Hobbit. :angel:

I thought Guillermo del Toro was directing.

I also like The Wasp Factory, and Lord Of The Flies. Everyone I know hates The Wasp Factory, I'd love to find a fellow fan. ^^

I didn't like the Wasp Factory. I do love Banks' Crow Road though.

Lace Neil Singer
10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Awww. Then again, I'm probably a weirdo cuz I used to identify with the main character, and think about who I'd like to bump off. -.- I might check Crow Road out sometime.

HorrorFrogPrincess
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I just finished the third Skulduggery Pleasant book. Man, I love that series. It's a pretty light read, but so much fun.

Now I just have to wait a year for the next book. And there has to be one. Stopping now would be like ending Dead Man's Chest and not making At Worlds End.

CaroPhoenix
04-03-2009, 01:11 AM
The poems and short stories by E. A. Poe.

Almighty Me by Robert Bausch (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33958) - I've had him teach my American Lit 1 & 2 classes and a few Creative Writing Courses at the local community college. He's a wonderful author and an awesome person.