PDA

View Full Version : F*ck you Mother Nature!

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
So today we're getting a little bitch of a snowstorm. Looks like this winter will be a carbon copy of last winter. :( We had another snowstorm Sunday into Monday.

And if that isn't bad enough, these snowstorms happen to be falling on our busiest shopping days. Today is Senior Day, and Senior Day in December is usually batshit crazy. We're forecast to do about $95K in sales; we'll be lucky to do a third of that.

We're forecast to do $70K on Friday and $95K on Saturday, and what's in the forecast? Possible snowstorm. We can haz massive cuts in hours because we're not making sales?

Seriously, all this snow can go eat my ass.

Evil Queen
12-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Is anyone else getting an image of Frosty the Snowman biting Irv on the ass? :whistle:

SteeleDragon78
12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
sadly i got the disturbing image of him being violated from behind with frostys carrot......:brainbleach:

RecoveringKinkoid
12-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I walked into band practice friday before last. It was buggering cold. I was bundled up in a long coat and scarf, struggling with a guitar case, shivering. Everyone knows how much I hate winter. Rest of the band watched me. Ivar (who's hatred of cold is only rivaled only by my own), shivering on the sofa with a cup of hot coffee clutched in his hands, says knowingly "Yeah, you're as miserable as I am, aren't you."

I just looked silently at him, and then looked back at the door closing shut behind me as gusts of icy wind blasted through. I turned around and gave the Great Outdoors the digitus impudicus with my heavily gloved hand.

Isn't this suposed to be freakin' South Carolina? Isn't the weather supposed to be mild here?????

Shards
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
It is mild, the problem is that once you get used to it mild seems normal so mild cold = cold.

You should try living in PA for a few years, THEN going down there, won't notice a thing, except possibly the heat.

RecoveringKinkoid
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
See, that is our problem. The weather fluctuates so wildly down here in winter we never acclimate to it. Thanksgiving day, we could run around in shirtsleeves. The following day I was working up a sweat changing a tire.

Day after that it was howling arctic wind. Just crazy. So we never really get used to it. You're right, if it stays really cold for a while, your body adjusts. But that really doen't happen very often down here. It can be warm and springlike in the afternoon, and then an hour later snowing.

protege
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
sadly i got the disturbing image of him being violated from behind with frostys carrot......:brainbleach:

Son of a bitch.... :spew:
:D

Sliceanddice
12-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Is anyone else getting an image of Frosty the Snowman biting Irv on the ass? :whistle:

yeah in my mind he wasnt so much biting as..... domineering......

DGoddessChardonnay
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah in my mind he wasnt so much biting as..... domineering......

Hmmm . . . Frosty wearing black leather and armed with a whip.

I don't see Rankin-Bass producing another Frosty special for quite a while . . .:roll:

blas
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
My rear is still sore from Frosty's carrot on Tuesday night.

I am totally with you, IPF. Let's get the Hell out of here. I hate this time of year, the dangerous road conditions, the car accidents, the weather ruining my plans or being a severe detriment......I actually don't mind the cold, if it's too cold to snow, all the better, I just HATE all this snow.

And yes, it appears it's last winter all over again. Only 97 more inches of snow to go till we are neck and neck with last year.

Becks
12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Winter in Wisconsin, I've missed you so!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

fireheart
12-05-2008, 04:09 AM

I don't see Rankin-Bass producing another Frosty special for quite a while . . .:roll:

Thanks guys, I nearly wet my pants over these :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::r oll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Broomjockey
12-05-2008, 04:12 AM
Hey! We've finally got some snow up here! And it's nice and gentle, too! :D

fireheart
12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
We have no snow in Australia....it's just so damn hot now :cry:

Instead, I can have fun letting my childhood images of Frosty the Snowman be disturbed. I even had band practice tonight...guess what cropped up? Frosty The Snowman. :runaway:

RecoveringKinkoid
12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Okay, so today I'm wearing a light long sleeved shirt, a pair of jeans and an unlined fleece. It's fine.

After a week of having to be bundled up like Nanook of the North, fighting icy Arctic wind to get anywhere.

This is why we whine so much when it gets cold.

Rubyred
12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
You should all come to Florida. The coldest it's been thus far is 56.

It'll be a party.:D

Sliceanddice
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
We have no snow in Australia....it's just so damn hot now :cry:

Instead, I can have fun letting my childhood images of Frosty the Snowman be disturbed. I even had band practice tonight...guess what cropped up? Frosty The Snowman. :runaway:

isnt it summer in australia?

fireheart
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
isnt it summer in australia?

Yeah it is. We have what's called an "Aussie Christmas" in pop culture, in other words, warm, hot, summery and fun. But songs like "Frosty the Snowman" and "White Christmas" still crop up. The only Christmas song I've heard that's to do with Australia is a song called "Six White Boomers" which involves wallabies pulling the sleigh :lol:

Kheldarson
12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Okay, so today I'm wearing a light long sleeved shirt, a pair of jeans and an unlined fleece. It's fine.

After a week of having to be bundled up like Nanook of the North, fighting icy Arctic wind to get anywhere.

This is why we whine so much when it gets cold.

I feel you on that one...I'm living closer to NC, but the SC weather is killing me after living in VA and WV. Doesn't the weather here make up it's mind? EVER?

Becks
12-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Damn it, this is probably the 5th time it's snowed in three weeks.

(At least it's pretty fluffy flakes, but holy :censored: biscuit, I'm tired of it already!!!)

At least I don't have to shovel.

Jester
12-08-2008, 05:18 AM
You should all come to Florida. The coldest it's been thus far is 56.

I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it.

(Thank you for saying it.)

InsanityInc
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Shit Irv, come to Illinois. It's snowed several times already, and they're predicting more this week. :cry: I'm working with a bunch of farmers so I hear all the weather news. At least one of the guys who calls in several times a week is a county road commish, and he keeps us updated when to be careful driving to/from work. My "safe" way to work involves an interstate, still dangerous with the nitwits, but..... it's fun seeing the SUV who zoomed past you in the ditch a couple of miles up the road.

Chromatix
12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Just remember that an SUV is much more prone to roll if it ends up sideways and gets "tripped". So is a pickup. It's simply down to the high centre of gravity. Most people who drive one don't realise it, either...

blas
12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
My turn to bitch and whine and complain again!

Anywhere from 4-7 inches expected tonight into tomorrow, with continues flurries and snow showers the rest of the week. I shit you not. On the weather channel, every. fucking. day. it showed snow.

Well, every day, we get closer and closer to reaching the 100 inches of snow we got last year. If it continues like this, it will be WORSE than last winter and we'll be at 100 inches by the middle of January, and we'll be lucky if the snow is gone by early May.

Salted Grump
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Can I laugh by pointing out that the local forecast where I live (in Ontario) is projecting Rain on Wendsday?

Or is that just too evil, considering the 4 and a half metres of snow that was shat on us last year?

Dreamstalker
12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

:spew: :roll: Ow...snorting mango lassi is not fun.

It's 20 degrees out right now...even the regular homeless guys are nowhere to be found. It's supposed to warm up later in the week...we'll see how that goes.

Broomjockey
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Or is that just too evil, considering the 4 and a half metres of snow that was shat on us last year?

You'd be tempting fate and karma, I'd say.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-08-2008, 07:19 PM
7 to 14 inches tomorrow!

Class 3 killstorm!

And I have to work 10:15 to 6:45, right in the thick of the heaviest snow. Maybe they'll send me home early.

Nah, doubt it.

MannersMakethMan
12-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Class 3 killstorm!

Oh, I don't like the sound of that class 3...

fireheart
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I envy you guys for having snow and at the same time I also laugh :roll:

here in Australia it fluctuates between 19-28 degrees CELSIUS at the present moment, but I know it'll eventually warm up. I'm a little surprised though....it's early december and already it's not 40 degrees celsius like last summer.

EDIT: Oh and also for those who've been talking about Frosty...

Frosty the snowman, wearing leather and a whip,
He dominates all the Christmas mates,
And spreads his good white cheer :devil:

I hope you people get the "white" part doesn't refer necessarily to snow :p

AdminAssistant
12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
We're supposed to get our first snow tomorrow. And then it's supposed to snow off and on for the next two weeks.

I. Hate. WINTER!!!!

Becks
12-09-2008, 12:20 AM
More snow.

I moved back to WI from NJ for this?!?!?!? :runaway:

blas
12-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Come share a hug with me Becks. I know I shouldn't whine......you, Becks, Irv, Blaquekat, Ljt, and a few other Wisconsinite CSers live more south than me and always get the major brunts of the all the storms. But it still sucks nonetheless!

A week ago there was no snow on the ground....just a few pathetic rounds of just a hint of snow that would disappear the next day. Now we're getting pounded.

Frosty is on a spree!

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-09-2008, 01:35 AM
More snow.

At least you can listen to the Rockin' Apple, aka the Rock Radio Station of Awesome.

Mara-chan
12-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm from Florida... What's a snowstorm?

Tomorrow's forcast: 80 degrees, 81 on Wed.

Becks
12-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Come share a hug with me Becks.

Yaaaaaaaaay hugs!!!!!!!

At least you can listen to the Rockin' Apple, aka the Rock Radio Station of Awesome.

You'd think so, but I haven't listened to that station since I moved out here. The fam's all about The Razor. :shrug: (Gotta love 4 pm Mandatory MetallicA time!!! :muya:)

Bella_Vixen
12-09-2008, 03:04 AM
When did the fucktards in charge of GB weather decided to start naming snowstorms as if they were hurricanes?!?!?

I seriously want to hurl every time they say it's "name."

Jester
12-09-2008, 03:50 AM
I. Hate. WINTER!!!!

I do too. Which is why I live in a place that doesn't have it. :cool:

I moved back to WI from NJ for this?!?!?!?

Apparently so!

I'm from Florida... What's a snowstorm?

Tomorrow's forcast: 80 degrees, 81 on Wed.

I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it. I wasn't going to say it.

THANK YOU for saying it! :lol:

When did the fucktards in charge of GB weather decided to start naming snowstorms as if they were hurricanes?!?!?

Wait, what? They are naming snowstorms now? When did this happen? They don't even name tornadoes! (And yes, I DO know why they don't name tornadoes, thank you very much!)

Becks
12-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Which is why I live in a place that doesn't have it.

Braggart. :p

Apparently so!

I'm starting to think if it would be feasible to move back to NJ every winter...

Bella_Vixen
12-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Wait, what? They are naming snowstorms now? When did this happen? They don't even name tornadoes! (And yes, I DO know why they don't name tornadoes, thank you very much!)

This naming of snow storms is something that ONLY happens in GB.

In the Milwaukee area, they wouldn't dream of doing something so stupid.

AdminAssistant
12-09-2008, 04:50 AM

Until April, I'm going to be kicking myself ("I could be in Georgia, why didn't I pick UGA again?). It wouldn't be so bad, I've grown somewhat accustomed to the cold. It's the wind. ohhh, the wind. Because there's nothing in this *%%&* state to block it!! :runaway:

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Aww, think of what you're missing! Attractions such as Frozen Ass Lake and the Waupaca County Polka Festival, Brat Fry And Outhouse Race.

You don't know what you're missing.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the WKRP listening area is under attack from the godless tornadoes..."

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that particular WKRP In Cincinnati quote.

PuckishOne
12-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Okay, Canada or Wisconsin, who wants me? Because I miss the damned snow!!! The National Weather Service cruelly cancelled our "winter storm warning" today, and now I pout. (And how the hell do you cancel weather anyhow...I mean, really??)

(Any of you who suspect drugs played a part in the above post, honestly, they didn't...I just haven't had a decent winter in 30 years and I kinda miss it. *sniff*)

Jester
12-13-2008, 01:06 AM
You don't know what you're missing.

Actually, I DO. I spent many years of my childhood living in New York and New Jersey. I HAVE lived through winters with snow and ice, and I never want to do it again. (Only dealt with snow once as an adult, when my sister got married in New York in February of 2003.)

Becks
12-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Okay, Canada or Wisconsin, who wants me?

:eyewaggle:

Oooops, wrong thread.

C'mon over. Plenty of space 'round here. :D

fireheart
12-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Does anyone else here want to see Irv getting dominated by Frosty wearing leather and a whip?

the_std
12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I am giving Mother Nature a mighty "fuck you" today. It was -45 Celsius with the windchill this morning. Like hell I'm getting out of my warm, toasty bed to go stand in the cold for 15 minutes to catch two different buses! Not happening.

This is both sad and scary at the same time. (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cask0276)

blas
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Lesse here.....

Windchill advisory until midnight tonight. It was well under -20 last night, and it hasn't warmed up at all yet today.

It somehow managed to get up to 35 degrees or so on Saturday during the day. You can imagine....ice everywhere now!

To add insult to injury, all 4 of my car doors were frozen shut. I nearly broke the handle off the passenger side door to get in. The driver's side front door is so beyond frozen that the handle won't budge. The windows are beyond frozen shut.

And more snow on the way tomorrow.

I. Am. Out. Of Here. I swore I'd be out of Wisconsin years ago!

Jester
12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I totally understand, y'all.

Why, just Friday, I had to put on a sweatshirt. Brrrrr!

(ducks)

(runs for cover)

blas
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
That's it....who thinks they can throw ice balls all the way to Florida? Anyone?

Ok, something more realistic. Pelting Jester with frozen cheese! Frozen stinky cheese. And last year's frozen nasty trout.

Jester
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, not just all the way to Florida.....you have to get it to Florida, all the way down Florida, and THEN 120 miles down the Keys to the very Southernmost City.

Good freakin' luck with that! :cool:

the_std
12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I had a dream last night that I came to visit you, Jester! Ahhh, the warm, relaxed and, above all, alcoholic life of the Keys! 'Twas pure bliss!... Until I woke up to a thermometer that said -49. :(

Jester
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Until I woke up to a thermometer that said -49.

My FREEZER is shivering at that thought!

the_std
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry, that's -49 Celsius, which is -56 Fahrenheit. Did you know that the human eyeball freezes at -60 Celsius? Fun times!

Jester
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Celsius, Fahrenheit, doesn't matter. My freezer is still huddled in the corner, whimpering in terror and trembling convulsively. It is, after all, a tropical freezer.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Today it felt like it was -60 celsius, with winds gusting to almost 50 mph. (When I checked the Weather Channel just before heading to work, it said the winds were gusting up to 46 mph).

Yesterday it was in the 40s and raining much of the day, melting some of the snow.

Not to worry, Mother Nature will make up for the lost snow tomorrow night, with 3 to 5 inches forecast. Ought to make for an interesting commute to work Wednesday morning.

Sorry, that's -49 Celsius, which is -56 Fahrenheit. Did you know that the human eyeball freezes at -60 Celsius? Fun times!

Now that's just fucking cold.

I bet if you were to spit into the air and try to catch it in your mouth, it'd be a little ice crystal by the time it hit the back of your throat.

Enjoy the thought, kids. :)

AdminAssistant
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I had to go out today to run by the library (dropped off one of my books with their books...oops!) and buy toilet paper. It was 10 F with 30 mph winds.

*shudder*

Not as bad as the folks further north, but it is NOT supposed to be this cold this early. I fear this winter.

PuckishOne
12-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Okay...I distinctly recall pining for snow, not ICE. (sigh) We set a record low yesterday (19F) and are supposed to break that sometime around Friday (with winds, of course - it's always the freakin' wind that gets me).

I know it's not Wisconsin cold, but it's really, really, really cold for Seattle. And we can't even play hockey outdoors here. Sucks. If this keeps up I'll have to go live in Jester's freezer (since it's tropical and all).

Becks
12-16-2008, 04:21 AM
I HATE Wisconsin winters.

I :censored: HATE WISCONSIN :censored: WINTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/finger008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Jester
12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I suppose it would be inappropriate for me to point out that I was working last night in shorts and a t-shirt.

On the outdoors roof deck.

Yeah, that would be inappropriate. :lol:

Racket_Man
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM

I seriously want to hurl every time they say it's "name."

I think it was old time weather guy on channel 5 (or was it 11) that started that about 30 years ago

Come share a hug with me Becks. I know I shouldn't whine......you, Becks, Irv, Blaquekat, Ljt, and a few other Wisconsinite CSers live more south than me and always get the major brunts of the all the storms. But it still sucks nonetheless!

A week ago there was no snow on the ground....just a few pathetic rounds of just a hint of snow that would disappear the next day. Now we're getting pounded.

Frosty is on a spree!

yuppers a foot on the ground then rain with a lot less snow now bitter cold and MORE snow

More snow.

WB Becks. ya just have ta get used to it again

I grew up in this crap all of my life, from St. Louis to Chicago to Green Bay. yeah it does get a LITTLE old aftera while esp last year when the snow would not shut up from Thanksgiving to the end of March (and this year is not looking much better). started before Thanksgiving and it continues.

Just makes my job VERY interesting

crazylegs
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I suppose it would be inappropriate for me to point out that I was working last night in shorts and a t-shirt.

On the outdoors roof deck.

Yeah, that would be inappropriate. :lol:

I'm quite comfortable wandering around in jeans and a shirt at the moment...

Oh, yer, inappropriate yer. Oops :D

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
6 to 10 more inches of snow tomorrow night into Friday!

Somebody please save me, Frosty is shoving it in deep. :eek:

fireheart
12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Somebody please save me, Frosty is shoving it in deep. :eek:

Did you need some more lube for that Irv? :roll:

"Frosty the snowman, wearing leather and a whip,
He dominates all his Christmas mates,
and spreads his good white cheer!"

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I think it was old time weather guy on channel 5 (or was it 11) that started that about 30 years ago

The only two weathermen I'm familiar with from those stations are John Chandik and Phony Baloney Tom Mahoney. (that's what somebody in my family calls him, not sure who though).

Did you need some more lube for that Irv?

Yes please. Lots.

The forecast is down to 4 to 8 inches tomorrow night, but another snowstorm is forecast for Sunday.

fireheart
12-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Yes please. Lots.

OK then....bend over :devil:

Jester
12-18-2008, 03:30 AM
So I had kind of a surreal moment today.

Was working at The Bar, and happened to glance up at the tv mounted over the front window doors. The tv was tuned to CNN, and they were showing various pictures from cities up north dealing with winter storms, snow, and ice.

And I'm looking at this tv, and right behind it through the windows I'm seeing a perfect Key West December day: 78F, palm trees swaying slightly in the breeze, people walking around in shorts and t-shirts and sandals.

And I turn to my coworker, point to the tv and the scene behind it, and say, "THAT is why we live here!"

Hope y'all don't hate me more for this..... :wave:

Chromatix
12-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Hey, I can still walk out onto my balcony wearing nothing but a dressing gown.

Yes, I *am* still in Helsinki, Finland, at 60 North Latitude.

Of course, I have to turn around and go back inside after a minute or so, before my feet freeze off due to the cold concrete floor...

...but I can still go out there.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-19-2008, 12:08 AM
OK then....bend over :devil:

*does so* Use that nozzle now.

Seriously, the saddest part of the whole thing is if I were a kid I'd be loving all this snow.

It just so happens that this year the public school kids get 2 full weeks off of school, just because of where all the holidays are falling. There used to be years when I was in school where I didn't even get an entire week off for Christmas.

And seeing how the heaviest snow is supposed to be going on in the morning and last until the afternoon I bet tomorrow's a snow day to boot.

Snowmen and snowball fights and sledding, oh yes the sledding. There was a really great sledding hill right behind my house. It went down into a parking lot and the ridges of snow created by the plows made a great ramp to launch you off of when you got to the bottom.

Now that I'm an adult, I get all the work that goes with snow and none of the fun. Boo.

Igorina
12-19-2008, 12:50 AM
So I'm going to be driving up to my parents' place in Wisconsin on Saturday. I'm going to be starting at O'-Dark-thirty in the morning and hopefully make it home in the lull between the snow storms.

I miss winter, I miss snow. Crivens, I even miss shoveling the bloody stuff.

Down here, the winters are rainy, chill and foggy.

Blah!

blas
12-19-2008, 02:17 AM
I'd give anything to live somewhere where there wasn't snow.

I agree with Irv. As a child, I LOVED the snow. The more, the better!

Now that I have to drive in it and deal with the weather potentially ruining my plans.

I'm furious that winter as already ruined some of my travel plans. I'm figuring if the winter storm tonight renders the roads impassable tomorrow, I'll have to wait until the next day it doesn't snow (Monday, unless that changes as well!) to do my errands.

I'm stuck in my apartment all damn weekend.

Jester
12-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Snowmen and snowball fights and sledding, oh yes the sledding. There was a really great sledding hill right behind my house. It went down into a parking lot and the ridges of snow created by the plows made a great ramp to launch you off of when you got to the bottom.

Now that I'm an adult, I get all the work that goes with snow and none of the fun. Boo.

I think someone needs to go buy a sled and rediscover the joys of sledding. And launching off a ramp.

Hey, if you're gonna have to deal with the crappy part of the snow, you might as well have some fun you know you love with it, right?

SengaKitty
12-19-2008, 07:57 AM
OK I think I'm the closest... Shall I see if I can launch an iceball at Jester? It was fracking twenty-five on Tuesday, with ICE falling from the sky. Not snow, ICE.

I distinctly remember when the blizzard came through Georgia in ninety-four. My family was out building snowmen and making snow angels. I was eight years old, curled up inside in a blanket, drinking hot chocolate.. I hate winter...

Luckily my car decided to die like three days before the ice and snow started...

Racket_Man
12-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree with Irv. As a child, I LOVED the snow. The more, the better!

Now that I have to drive in it and deal with the weather potentially ruining my plans.

I'm furious that winter as already ruined some of my travel plans. I'm figuring if the winter storm tonight renders the roads impassable tomorrow, I'll have to wait until the next day it doesn't snow (Monday, unless that changes as well!) to do my errands.

I'm stuck in my apartment all damn weekend.

I still like the snow as it brings business to my pizza place and driving is part of what I do. though as I drive a lot I STILL can nto get used to the fact that (this is directed to about half of the driving public in Green Bay) HEY IT SNOWS like heck UP HERE LEARN HOW TO DIRVE IN THIS WHITE STUFF

Heck even my dog loves the snow. he just loves to run around in it, lay down in it and dig his nose into it trying to smell the rabbits that frequent our yard

I am just hoping that the snow will abate for a little while at the beginning of Jan when I go on vacation. yeah going down to Key West and throwing snowballs at Jester would be nice but....... I have other things to take care of. esp since I will be driving to St. Louis via Chicago and all the of lst few storms have hit Chicago a little worse than us up here. but I have to go anyway. gotta visit my Mom who is in the hospital.

blas
12-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Somehow, someone felt sorry for us up here last night and we avoided the major snow. We maybe got an inch and a half. Whew!

I have a feeling we northwest Wisconsin folk won't be so lucky tomorrow. Predictions are 5-9 inches from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning. OUCH!

Yes. I need to do my shopping TODAY while there's still road to drive on...

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I think someone needs to go buy a sled and rediscover the joys of sledding. And launching off a ramp.

Hey, if you're gonna have to deal with the crappy part of the snow, you might as well have some fun you know you love with it, right?

Sounds like a plan.

Somehow, someone felt sorry for us up here last night and we avoided the major snow. We maybe got an inch and a half. Whew!

I have a feeling we northwest Wisconsin folk won't be so lucky tomorrow. Predictions are 5-9 inches from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning. OUCH!

Yes. I need to do my shopping TODAY while there's still road to drive on..

I still have to head out too. I'm going to go out in the morning and try to be back home before the snow starts.

Oh, as long as I'm being nostalgic I gotta tell the story of Christmas when I was in third grade, which would be 1989. On the last day before vacation started we had a really bad cold spell, like temperatures in the double digits below zero with even colder wind chills, or something like that.

School wasn't cancelled, but my parents were telling me I didn't have to go to school if I didn't want to, I could just stay home, it was so cold out and what classwork would I miss, and so on. Yes dear friends, they actually were trying to talk me out of going to school.

I wanted to go though, for the following reasons:

We were having our class Christmas party. We had been reading Little House On The Prairie and decided to have a gift exchange, where you drew the name of a fellow student out of a hat and had to give them a handmade gift. My mom and I had spent an evening baking sugar cookies, frosting and decorating them, and putting them in a big tin to give as my gift. I wanted to be able to give it.
We were also having our class Christmas concert and I had a big role in it. My and one of my classmates acted as narrators, telling a story and along the way the class would come in and sing a song or do a skit. We had been rehearsing it a lot and I wanted to be able to perform.

So my parents drove me to school but told me they probably wouldn't be able to come to the concert. I understood but was a bit disappointed.

So we had our party (the recipient of my cookies really liked them, BTW) and then had our concert. I entered the auditorium and looked out into the audience and saw...my mom and dad.:D They made it to the concert after all.

And when the concert was done we all went out to McDonalds or some other fast-food place since that was normally our Friday treat.

As I've grown older all the Christmases seem to blend together, but that one still stands out to me.

blas
12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Irv, that storm tomorrow is headed your way too? I was watching the news at noon and it looked like only the upper part of Wisconsin was going to get the Frosty treatment.......

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-19-2008, 10:33 PM
/checks out Weather Bug

4 to 8 inches expected, starting tomorrow afternoon, hopefully after I finish my shopping. That's still enough.

It's still snowing lightly by me.

blas
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
3-6 predicted now for here, starting tomorrow morning.

They vamped up last night's storm so much last night that all throughout the shift last night, people took turns sneaking off to go look outside. It didn't even start snowing until after 3 am and it stopped around 8 am or so.

I'm doing all my shopping as soon as I'm done getting ready, then going out for a fun night with friends tonight, since everything will be calm and temps will be above 0 tonight for once. But tomorrow night is definetly going to be a night in with movies and pizza....no going out in that crap....maybe just to the tanning salon down the road and to the movie store down the road the other way, that's it!

If you southern Wisconsin folk ever need a break, come up here sometime. We get the lighter end of the snow most of the time. Sure, what we get is probably annoying and too much, but when I think of Milwaukee and Madison, I shudder. I'm considering moving further up north in Wisconsin where I grew up. These days during the snow storms, they only get a trace to an inch! I was up there last week for a funeral and the grass was still sticking up under the half inch or so of snow!

Chromatix
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
My weather widget is predicting, basically a white christmas. A precipitous drop from near-freezing to -12C over the eve and day. Should be interesting, but probably doubly wise to stock up on good food beforehand!

Becks
12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I...I think it's snowing again.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sad025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

blas
12-20-2008, 09:49 PM
It sure is.....6 more inches total expected all through today.

Get. Me. Out. Of. Here.

Racket_Man
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I...I think it's snowing again.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sad025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

but nicely it was on;ly big fluffy flakes with little accumulation. I went out and did shopping but it is the Sat night into Sunday morn that worries me

Becks
12-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Holy biscuit, Racket_Man...I have to start at 6 am tomorrow.

I didn't want to before, and I want to even less now.

blas
12-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Yesterday was pretty brutal. I had to get some errands done by the end of the weekend, so I had to brave it. Yeah, that sucked. And the snow didn't stop till late last night/early this morning.

We get a day of relief tomorrow, but it's going to be nearly -30 with the windchills. Then 2 to 5 more inches on Tuesday. Then a break on Wednesday (maybe, for now) then more snow on Christmas, then a break on Friday, then more snow Saturday........what is with this. Ugh.

Becks
12-22-2008, 02:11 AM
It's time I made a confession.

It's MY fault this winter is going along like it is.

I don't know how I do it, but I do. I wish I didn't.

blas
12-22-2008, 02:23 AM
How is it your fault?

Becks
12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
I don't know. Ask the future MIL. :p

Racket_Man
12-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know. Ask the future MIL. :p

this I GOTTA know why.

but then again is it because you bring snow and cold and ice or just because you moved back here?

yup blas more snow on Tuesday/Wed. and then more possible over the next week.

Dang it STOP for a while. I wanna get to St. Louis in one piece after New Years

AND it looks like we are NOT going to have that just after New Year thaw this time around

blas
12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Ugh, gosh dammit all to HELL!

Tuesdays snowstorm decided it wants to come early. Should be a fun drive home tomorrow morning from work.....3 to 5 more inches overnight tonight. IT WILL NOT FUCKING STOP! Geez....22 days into December and we're pretty much 1/4 of the way to last year's snowfall totals.

Make. It. STOP!!!!! I'm so sick of this "one day" breaks from snow. I am so tired of driving in this....having to leave early, break my fingers off scraping my windshield....my windows being frozen, my locks being frozen.....

I can't quit whining. I know I have no control, but this is just bullshit.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
8 to 14 inches Tuesday and Wednesday, with the highest amounts along the lake. I.E. where I am.

You know, this will probably be the first time Christmas Eve has been snowy that I can remember, though it probably puts the kibosh on our tree-hopping Christmas Day. The anticipated snowfall probably is also why it was so batshit nuts today, because it may be too dangerous to go out shopping Tuesday and Wednesday.

The drifts are about 3 to 4 feet high in some places and we'll add another foot or so. Pretty soon it'll be like that episode of South Park where the snow melts and they find a child who'd been missing all winter.

In summation: Winter is a day or two old and I'm sick of it already.

blas
12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
I checked the weather this morning before bed, and it only showed snow for tonight into tomorrow, then a little on Christmas Eve......now guess what?

Snow tonight, tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Well, one of those days it's going to get into the 30s (omigosh! Someone open up the pool!!!!!) and it's going to rain, THEN snow later..........

I think I've mentioned this before, but I still don't understand how this works.

I remember vividly last winter, they'd forecast snow on, let's say Thursday, but within a day, the storm picked up speed and it'd be pushed up to Wednesday, sometimes Tuesday night. In the spring and summer....they will forecast rain or storms for Thursday....but all of a sudden, oh no oh no....it's going to hold off until Friday and Saturday. What gives? Is winter weather faster moving?

Jester
12-23-2008, 03:05 AM
"I'mmmm dreeeaaammmmming of a wwwhhhiiiiiiiiiitttteee Christ....masssss....."

Of course, dreaming of such is the only way us tropical folks will get anywhere near that white stuff y'all are bitching about. :wave:

Shall I see if I can launch an iceball at Jester? It was fracking twenty-five on Tuesday, with ICE falling from the sky. Not snow, ICE.

yeah going down to Key West and throwing snowballs at Jester would be nice

Take your best shots, kids, but remember, any snowballs or iceballs you launch at me will pretty much be nothing but a splash of cold, refreshing water by the time it gets to me. And there are some days down here that that would be most welcome, actually. :cool:

Becks
12-23-2008, 03:58 AM
this I GOTTA know why.

but then again is it because you bring snow and cold and ice or just because you moved back here?

Both...I think.

Eh, let her daughter's bf come out here to see HIS family, then it'll be his fault. Or something. :lol:

AdminAssistant
12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I came home Saturday, and now it's freezing rain/sleet with highs in the 20's since I got here. My family keeps telling me I brought winter home with me.....but it is supposed to be in the 60's later this week.

the_std
12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
When I woke up this morning, it was -50 Celsius with the windchill. I went right back to bed. It is now -45 Celsius, and that is still way too dang cold for me.

Becks
12-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I just looked out the window (I really have to stop doing that... :() and see what at any other time of year would be a fine mist.

Damn snow.

blas
03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
BUMP!

Gotta bring it up again. I'm fucking furious. I know there's nothing that can be done about this....but ughhh......why why why....make it stop!

January....record setting below average temps and record setting windchills...

February, a little bit of everything......and a huge late February snow storm.

Right before that huge dump, temps had gotten mild and snow was melting, roads were clearing......then that huge dump....

Then we got a little break from the snow, the temps slowly rose, everything started melting Tuesday through today.....then tomorrow temps are going to stay above freezing during the day but cooler......turning to all rain by mid-late day Saturday, continuing into Sunday morning as a wintry mix.....then temps will drop to below freezing during the day Sunday, giving us 2-4 inches (but as we know, by tonight or tomorrow the weather folk will raise that to 3-6 or even 6-8 like they always do) and Monday, even cooler temps, and on Tuesday they are forecasting a carbon copy REPEAT of last Thursday, with 6+ inches of snow. The rest of next week looks clear, except temps are only going to get to the 20s during the day. So all the snow and ice that accumulates this weekend and Tuesday is going to stay and just get pounded down on sideroads and residential streets that don't get plowed. It's bad enough that after last Thursday, all the above roads were glare ice and frozen snow until everything started melting, because plows only take care of the main roads and only plow side roads once.

GREAT. Just great. When is it going to stay above freezing and STOP FUCKING SNOWING?

protege
03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
No snow here in Pittsburgh. Hell, it was 60 F yesterday. Warm enough that I could cruise in the MG with the windows down. Oh, and starting it wasn't as much of a bitch as usual :p