PDA

View Full Version : ye old sightings

Rahmota
10-22-2006, 08:11 PM
My wife and I went to Ohio Renessaince Festival (ORF) yesterday and I gotta tell you stupidity is timeless.

If you've never been its like this. the ORF is a small village from Elizbethian England that you are visiting for the day. The workers go around in character as various people form the village idiot to the queen herself. They have contests, shows and activities all in the theme of Elizabethian England. And they ahve the marketplace which is probably the main reason for the ORF where merchants sell various Fantasy/Midevil/Renassaince related items such as swords/clothes/foods/glasswares etc... So all in all a rather neat and kinda quirky place to go have some fun. Most of the time its hard to tell who works there and who is just a guest as the guests get into character and dress up as well. Although all weapons must be peace knotted at all times. (yes you have people wandering around with swords/knives daggers and axes where alcohol is served. Oddly enough there has never been a major incident as the place is policed very well by responsible guests and the park security)

That having been said there where a few thigns I wanna share.
1: This kid (sorry I'm 33 so teens are kids) decided he wanted to not pay for a small knife at this one booth. Fortunately the guy at the booth saw it and called out to his partner who was hawking the wares outside the booth. The street hawker turned and placed his pike staff ways in front of the kid and told him that the renessaince punishment for thievery is public floggin and asked if milord wanted to have the pleasure of the full ORF experience. The kid said he was just wanting to show it to a friend (which is why it was slipped into his waist band?) and put it back. At least the kid learned a very important lesson never try to steal from people who have bigger blades than you do.

2: speaking of big blades there was this lady at the same booth who asked if they had bodice daggers. She managed to put a 6 inch dagger in her cleavage!

3: There is a show there called the Theatore in the Ground. It is held in the Mudatorium. Basically it is these three guys who spoof beowulf and dantes inferno by flinging mud at each other and the crowd. Kinda think gallagher meets the classics. Ok there is a giant mud pit right in front of the benches and there are defiantely warning signs all around if you pay attention. (they even sell T shirts right outside the mudatorium, which that name should ring all kinds of bells)
But anyhow there was this one chick who apparently wasnt getting into the spirit of thigns. Dressed in white sweatshirt and slacks and the perfectly coiffed blonde hair thign goign on. Well she decided to sit down in the front area. Within what the old timers know is the splat zone.

Guess what? she got mud on her and bitched and whined & complained about how dirty she was (hardly any on her at all I must say my wife and I stayed to watch this free show. I should have done like I did to an exgirlfriend one time. I slipped one of the mud guys a 20 to go up and put his arm around her after the show. :) ) Fortunately they where like well its a mud show in a mud pit and there are a lot of signs that maybe you shouldnt be sitting in the front row like the people around you having their cloaks ready to pull over themselves among other things including jokes made before the show really starts. Somehow that didnt satisfy her and she stormed off. I have no idea what happened but I hope show got a halberd shoved somewhere.

4: this happened a few years ago and was definately not a sucky person at all. My friends and I are standing out in front of the gates and hear a big harley coming up the hill. Topping the hill we see this Viking warrior riding on a big harley hog coming over the hill. I mean the guy is dressed in furs and chain mail and has a big axe across his back looks like thor meets the hells angels. Can you imagine the looks this guy must have gotton on his way there? At least he was wearing a helmet.

5: Also from a couple years ago. I was on the way into opening weekend and stopped at a gas station near ORF. I go in dressed in full Robin Hood regalia. The one clerk was definately wierded out but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it.

Gurndigarn
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM
4: this happened a few years ago and was definately not a sucky person at all. My friends and I are standing out in front of the gates and hear a big harley coming up the hill. Topping the hill we see this Viking warrior riding on a big harley hog coming over the hill. I mean the guy is dressed in furs and chain mail and has a big axe across his back looks like thor meets the hells angels. Can you imagine the looks this guy must have gotton on his way there? At least he was wearing a helmet.

With horns? Now that would be a sight.

Antisocial_Worker
10-22-2006, 10:22 PM
5: Also from a couple years ago. I was on the way into opening weekend and stopped at a gas station near ORF. I go in dressed in full Robin Hood regalia. The one clerk was definately wierded out but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it.

I attended DragonCon in Atlanta a few years back and one of my fondest memories (aside from someone trying to show slides on the side of the SunTrust Building), was watching from my balcony as a lady in a ginormous Glenda the Good Witch style dress sashayed down the sidewalk to catch a MARTA bus. How she got through the doors of the bus is anyone's guess, because she by herself was enough to block half the sidewalk.

Come to think of it, I also have a fond memory of one of my friends riding the subway with me up to the High Museum of Art, outfitted in her very own Renaissance dress. You must be doing something right when you can catch, and hold the gape-mouthed attention of everybody in a subway car.

Drakstern
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM

Roomie and G/f got that too... wonder if it was the same clerk. :p

We hit O-ren and TONS of fun. It was my first time, though. So I wasn't in period clothes(I wore a shirt that said NPC on it. Lots of people got the joke. ^_^ ) They were both dressed up, though. I plan to go full out next time... even bought a big ole sword for that purpose. ^_^

I didn't come away w/any SC sightings, though... kinda glad for that. ^_^

Becks
10-23-2006, 02:59 AM
With horns?

I was under the impression that to be authentic/correct, it has to be feathers, not horns.

:shrug:

Rahmota
10-23-2006, 03:18 AM
Gurndigarn and beckysunshine. From what I recall of history channel/class most vikings ,when they wore helmets, wore feathers attachd to them though there are a few instances of horns being attachd as well. So it kinda depended on the region/time from what i recall. anyone who has definitive info is more than welcome to correct me. As for our Harley viking he had the big bull horns on the side style of helmet. And considering how he looked like he probably could ave picked the bike up I'm not going to tell him he shouldnt be wearing horns.:D

Drakstern: That would be cool. I think I saw something similiar in dragon mag once. But either way very funny. And as for sucky people I dont recall seeing that many in the 8 years I've been going there. Like I said most of the people there are out to have fun. Also was it the Citgo there by 71? I bet they get a lot of us. Thse chariots do get thirsty.

RecoveringKinkoid
10-23-2006, 03:50 AM
"Although all weapons must be peace knotted at all times. (yes you have people wandering around with swords/knives daggers and axes where alcohol is served. Oddly enough there has never been a major incident as the place is policed very well by responsible guests and the park security)"

Heheheh....as a longtime SCA member, I've been to many a Pennsic War. 13,000 or so other lunatics, all armed, many drunk. Mostly self policed. Few enough incidents as to be able to say maybe one questionable incident per year, if that, nothing terribly serious.

An armed society is a polite society. ;)

If you look at my photo album pic, I'm wearing a double-bladed dagger in my bodice that is at least six inches long. Probably, it's longer. It's large enough to look like business. Daggers fit in with the girls quite nicely. They fit into your boots or your sleeves. I once wore a large butcher's cleaver between my shoulder blades under my doublet (long story). You'd be suprised at the hardware you can stash on your person and still look innocent.:angel:

"The kid said he was just wanting to show it to a friend (which is why it was slipped into his waist band?) and put it back. At least the kid learned a very important lesson never try to steal from people who have bigger blades than you do."

That's the God's Honest Truth. I actually was present one night when some extremely stupid young men thought they'd have a go at us. Long story short, this one guy was sneaking around with a switchblade when a friend of mine in a black cloak silently walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder with a Claymore. Rounded him up right nicely for the cops when they showed up. All of a sudden his little blade didn't look so big and bad when he saw that greatsword.

Rahmota
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
recoveringkinkoid spoke and we listened:An armed society is a polite society

Isnt that the truth!

Daggers fit in with the girls quite nicely
You know I've been married 10 years and I still learn new things. Somehow my wife finds that funny.

Long story short, this one guy was sneaking around with a switchblade when a friend of mine in a black cloak silently walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder with a Claymore. Rounded him up right nicely for the cops when they showed up. All of a sudden his little blade didn't look so big and bad when he saw that greatsword.
I would have loved to have seen that. That would have just been so :roll: :wave: .

Crocodile Dundee: "You call that a knife? Now thats a knife!"

RecoveringKinkoid
10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
"but the other one knew what was going on and all she had to say was (in a slightly bored/oh great the wierdos are out again voice) "Oh is it that time of year again?" I love it."

The entire Pittsburg area and surrounding burbs are like that in August. You can have literally a hundred freaks in period dress shopping down at the Giant Eagle or Wally World at once at any given time in August and the locals don't even flinch anymore. They don't even seem to notice. :lol:

Old time SCAdians think the "THIS is a KNIFE" line is hilarious...in fact, we've been using various versions of it long before that movie came out. My favorite version, an old chestnut of legendary proportions in SCAdian lore, is "Yes sir, I see your 6 inches and I raise you 30."

Then of course there are the stories of the mugger stabbing a guy wearing chain mail under his clothes.... :roll:

Becks
10-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Then of course there are the stories of the mugger stabbing a guy wearing chain mail under his clothes.... :roll:

"Why...won't...you...DIE?!?!?"

protege
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
The entire Pittsburg area and surrounding burbs are like that in August. You can have literally a hundred freaks in period dress shopping down at the Giant Eagle or Wally World at once at any given time in August and the locals don't even flinch anymore. They don't even seem to notice. :lol:

Hehehe that's because we have freaks here year-round.

And yes, I'm including myself in that group :p

Drakstern
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Also was it the Citgo there by 71? I bet they get a lot of us. Thse chariots do get thirsty.

I believe it was. Couldn't tell you for certain, though. I was asleep for most of the ride back.

Sunburns make me tired. :p

Cia
10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
What's a 'peace knot'?

RecoveringKinkoid
10-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Peace knot--also "peace bonded" or "peace strapped". That's where the weapon is secured into it's holster or sheath so that it cannot be drawn. Usually with a cord or strap.

LdyJedi
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Peace knot--also "peace bonded" or "peace strapped". That's where the weapon is secured into it's holster or sheath so that it cannot be drawn. Usually with a cord or strap.

Here, peace tied means it's secured with a wire-tie. Should I be worried that by the time my daughter was 5, she knew what that meant ;) Or that she knew she should not repeat Faire songs at school or church :lol:

Bliss
10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Do you know you all sick btards have gotten me into Filk already?

ArenaBoy
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
When I was in martial arts a while back, I went to a few martial art festivals. Some were just for fun while others I was there demostrating with my instructor. At these festivals, you will see people in full samurai armor which is quite colorful and unique, imagine a flag sticking out of somebody in demon style armor and you get the point. There is also people dressed as ninjas and if it was a dark day you'd bump into them a lot because you couldn't see them.

Weapons are quite quirky too, while they may not be as lethal as medevial weapons, the user can be quite lethal if they know what they're doing. I actually scared a guy off who was giving me a hard time about the way I was dressed, (A monk) I was holding a staff and pretty much spun it with one hand and talked to the guy like it was nothing the look on his face was priceless.

Kinkoid, I might actually look into studying daggers. The closest thing to a dagger of which I own is a tanto which is a foot long. I own a lot of weapons my favorite being the Tai Chi sword which can give the deception that you broke it only to come back with a nasty surprise. My instructor always got me with that one.

morgana
10-30-2006, 06:03 PM
"Then of course there are the stories of the mugger stabbing a guy wearing chain mail under his clothes.... :roll:

Or the event in the park, when the bikers decided they wanted to use the park and the SCAdians should leave? A friend of mine insists he was at that event.

Wish *I* had been . . . :devil:

kerrisan
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
RenFest is the greatest. We have a show at the TexRenFest called "The Other Brothers" and they do juggling and firethrowing and such. They also juggle fruit, chew it while juggling, and then spit it out on the front row. They warn about this ahead of time, though.

powerboy
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I went to one of those, once, and had the blast of my life.

RecoveringKinkoid
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Or the event in the park, when the bikers decided they wanted to use the park and the SCAdians should leave? A friend of mine insists he was at that event.

Wish *I* had been . . . :devil:

Ah, SCA folklore. I kind of wish I had been, too.

I really was at one where some bikers showed up, back when I was about 18. It's not like they attacked us or anything. I had walked off with a young man I was interested in, we went around the lake on the trail, and a gang of bikers showed up and kind of surrounded us. My friend was dressed in martial arts stuff, and while these guys weren't specifically threatening us, we were both worried they might try to toss him around a bit. The conversation was hedging in that direction.

Nothing ended up happeneing, and they left. Shaken, we walked back to the hall. And that's when I noticed 20 or so of our guys, quietly filtering out of the surrounding bushes. Armed to the teeth with implements of medieval mayhem. Not a one of them ever even spoke of it.

The whole time I thought we were cut off and at the mercy of a gang of goons, we were being closely guarded by our folks. Had they laid a finger on us, hell would have broken lose. :)

morgana
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
The whole time I thought we were cut off and at the mercy of a gang of goons, we were being closely guarded by our folks. Had they laid a finger on us, hell would have broken lose. :)

This is a large part of why I love the SCA. You want to go to hell in a handbasket, your friends will try to talk you out of it, but if you insist they'll find you the basket. If anybody *else* wants to give you grief, though, everybody on site will be in on the battle.

What Kingdom are you?

RecoveringKinkoid
10-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Atlantia. You?

morgana
10-31-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm a lifelong Calontiri.

repsac
10-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Interesting. I used to attend DragonCon myself.

I remember one year wandering my happy butt around dressed like a dark jedi. Around this time, there were some guys dressed like stormtroopers and a boba fett heading up to the restruant at the top of the hyatt regency. We all piled on the elevator, only to stand in shock when the door opened about half way up. Looking us right in the face was this older couple who blinked and said nervously "We'll take the next car."

Dalvenja
10-31-2006, 01:42 AM
2: speaking of big blades there was this lady at the same booth who asked if they had bodice daggers. She managed to put a 6 inch dagger in her cleavage!

Pfft, is that all? Once I'm in my Pendragon (very nice leather bodice for all you non-Faire types out there), I can get a dagger at least twice that long in there :lol:

I work at the Stockade at the MIchigan Renaissance Festival...luckily we don't get too many SCs there, and when we do, not only are we allowed to be rude and put them in their place, but we're expected to.

repsac
10-31-2006, 05:36 AM
just remembered something from years ago.

I had just started attending the GaRenFest (Garf) when it happened too.

At the time, I was dressed as a Templar knight. Meaning I had mail, a coif, conical helmet and all of it covered in a long white surcoat with red cross upon the front of it. My weapon of choice then, varied by day. Usually, I carried a bastard sword (for those who don't know, it's between a long and broad sword. Nasty thing), but this particular day I was carrying a battle axe.

I remember us pulling up in this gas station to fill up before heading in. At the time, I had most (save perhaps the helmet) of the costume on since well, they're a pain to put on. Mail being the worst. Wanting to stretch my legs, I clambor out of the car and walk around some. Heading inside the store, I grab a soda, head to the front and pay. Bout then I notice that I'm getting some really strange looks.

You see, here I am dressed in what looks like a long WHITE dress, with a metal hood. I am also caucasian...and that particular ren fest happned to fall right in the middle of "Freaknik." AKA Black Spring Break Weekend. Three guesses what they thought I was?

It wasn't until one of the younger guys spoke up, asking me what era I was from and if the mail was heavy that the thick air was broken. We chatted for some time about various armors and such, before my buddies and I left.

To this day, I make a note that while wearing the costume isn't a bad idea...don't wear anything that could get you shot, maimed, murdered, spit upon, kicked...well, kicking isn't bad. The greaves stub toes. Still, nothing that could be percieved as anything OTHER than what you intend.

RecoveringKinkoid
10-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, we had a buddy whose persona was some kind of monk...whatever order wears the white. Franciscan? I dunno. Anyway, we refused to allow him to accompany us to the store. We were in Orangeburg, and thought that his appearace in that particular town would be pretty provacative. So we made him stay behind at the site.

Tria
10-31-2006, 09:03 PM
To this day, I make a note that while wearing the costume isn't a bad idea...don't wear anything that could get you shot, maimed, murdered, spit upon, kicked...well, kicking isn't bad. The greaves stub toes. Still, nothing that could be percieved as anything OTHER than what you intend.

Kinda like LARP, don't freak the normals.

Dalvenja
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM

But that's half the fun...

werewolffan98
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM

Um, Actually i think the proper term for those who aren't part of the Renfaire community is Mundanes or Muggles.:)

WHShit
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
OH MY GOD! I would love to go to that. LOVE TO! WOW!

RecoveringKinkoid
11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, here's the link for Pennsic, the biggest event the SCA does (it's in the US, but people from all over the world attend. It's awesom.):
http://www.pennsic.net/

Here's one for the SCA in general:
www.sca.org

And here's one for the kingdom you'd be, living in London:
http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/

werewolffan98
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, here's the link for Pennsic, the biggest event the SCA does (it's in the US, but people from all over the world attend. It's awesom.):
http://www.pennsic.net/

Here's one for the SCA in general:
www.sca.org

And here's one for the kingdom you'd be, living in London:
http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/

Well in Hawaii, it's the Kingdom of Caid,Barony of Western Seas.

RecoveringKinkoid
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Can I post a naughty filksong here???:o

Rapscallion
11-01-2006, 07:31 PM
PM me a link to it and we'll see :)

Rapscallion

werewolffan98
11-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Faire songs. here is one.

PASTIME WITH GOOD COMPANY

Supposedly written by Henry VIII

Pastime with good company
I love and shall unto I die.
Grudge whoso will, but none deny,
So God be pleased, this live will I.
For my pastance
Hunt, sing, and dance.
My heart is set
All goodly sport
To my comfort.
Who shall me let?

Youth will have needs dalliance,
Of good or ill some pastance.
Company me thinketh then best
All thoftes and fantasies to digest.
For idleness
Is chief mistress
Of vices all.
Than who can say
But "pass the day"
Is best of all?

Company with honesty
Is virtue, and vice to flee.
Company is good or ill
But every man hath his free will.
The best ensue,
The worst eschew,
My mind shall be.
Virtue to use,
Vice to refuse,
I shall use me.

Frequently sung at Renaissance faires.

Always sung incorrectly.

SongsOfDragons
11-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahmota

With horns? Now that would be a sight.

For some reason, Hard Rock Hallejuah came into my head then. :D

DesignFox
11-01-2006, 09:26 PM
I went to my very first Ren. Faire this year in Pennsylvania. What a blast! We too, saw a mud show... "The Muddy Wives of Windsor".
One of the mud guys did a huge bellyflop into the mudpit. He then asked the people in the front row if he got them...they said no..so he flung mud at them! :lol:

I also love that vendors could be rude to SC's. One booth had an urn labeled, "The ashes of Problem Customers."

Another favorite at a sword booth; "You MUST be 18 years or older to handle the blades, no matter what Mommy and Daddy say."

I so look forward to going back next year!

RecoveringKinkoid
11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Every year this travels via highway.

http://www.drunkenmariners.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=11008

They take the rigging down, of course, but otherwise, it's a pretty recognizable ship. They get some looks and some questions!:lol:

Acolyte
11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Not quite RenFest, but still funny.
A local paintball place was holding a 'Dawn of the Dead' event-people signed up as either Survivors or Zombies, and costumes were encouraged. My friend and I both signed up for the Survivor side, and went to town on our costumes. I don't have the pictures, but the costume was pretty impressive and scary. My friend has a big-ass and battered (torn, dirtied, fake blood strewn about) overcoat, combat boots, cargo pants, a t-shirt, a military surplus helmet and a facemask that had an old gas mask attached to it (Some modifications had to be made to get it to mesh nicely with the mask). I was wearing battered camo gear, a set of web gear and combat boots. We were both carrying impressive-looking markers (Tippmann A-5s modded out the demon-hole, with stocks, mock clips, laser sights...the whole works). And we had to walk down the street in this getup.
Needless to say, we got the oddest damn looks like this. A cop stopped us, and I don't blame him, but once we demonstrated that the markers were safetied and unloaded, he let us go on.