PDA

View Full Version : Help Ree Make a Decision!

The Gatekeeper
01-25-2009, 03:54 AM
As some of you are aware, Ree and our intrepid Raps are coming to stay with me in February. Ree, as most of you know had a pretty crappy 2008.

As some of you may remember, I foster stray and injured cats. Ree came to stay with me in November of 2008 and fell in love with a special little guy. We call him Mr. Stumps, or Stumpers for short.

Stumpers had a pretty crappy 2008 too. He had been a stray for some weeks when one day my step-sister notice that his "tail was missing". He didn't stick around for long, so a it was a couple of days before I saw him. His tail was indeed missing, and what was left was a bloody stump. He was pretty scared, so I got out the tender trap that I have, and trapped the poor guy. He freaked, there was blood. We got him in the car and on the way to the vet.

While on the way, I was on the phone with the lady from the rescue I work with, who is also a nurse. One of the things we were unsure about was what kind of quality of life he'd have. You see, a cat's urinary track is located in the base of the tail. So depending on how far down the tail they would have to trim back, he might have ended up incontinent. We got up there, and went into the back surgery area, and started to get him examined. We decided to go ahead with the surgery. We told the vet if he was going to be incontinent then to just euthanize him, because no one is going to adopt a incontinent cat, and I already have 8 of my own. One of which is already affectionately known as Mr. Pisser. If the cat was going to be fine, just neuter him.

Obviously things went great, because he's living in my house and Ree has fallen in love with him. The problem is, she's going back and forth on the adoption. Her sister is afraid it might be too much of an expense. Ree's grandchild doesn't appear to be allergic to cats, but she could be one day. Ree just had to buy new appliances for her kitchen.

The adoption fee is $120. Ree has an old litter box from her last cat. I will hook her up with some food and litter. The cat will be an indoor only cat, so shots etc are negligible.

The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt ;)

I've included pics for reference:

NightAngel
01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
The cat is cute (who wouldn't love Pirate Cat?) but I don't feel qualified to advise Ree (or anyone else) on whether adopting a pet is the right thing to do.

Only Ree knows her full situation well enough to make that decision, I think.

SteverinoNY
01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Yes, Ree should adopt the adorable little ball of fluff. Both her and the cat have been through a hell and it seems would have a sympathetic understanding and would be able to help each other through tough times. In addition, pets make life more fun.

If it were me and I were in Ree's position, I would adopt the furry friend and go from there.

RetailWorkhorse
01-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Pets make you live longer.

'Nuff said.

RecoveringKinkoid
01-25-2009, 05:43 AM
I didn't vote. Only Ree knows.

However, I will say this. I rescued a dog many years ago. I had no intention of keeping him. My goal was to find him a good home.

The dog wanted to be my dog. And I adored him. But my house was too small, and I worked all day, and I just don't think I'd make a good owner for him, and really, how much time do I really have, and blah blah blah blah.

I was talking about this in the studio at Public Television to a friend, going back and forth about how crappy a life the dog would have with me.

Then a dude in the studio, a guest, who was reading a newspaper and apparently not ignoring us as we thought he was looked up and said, "Look, does the dog love you?"

I just stood there, like a doofus that had never even considered that, and he went on "I bet the dog loves you. If he does, and you love him back, he's your dog. Keep him. He doesn't care about your situation."

I kept the dog.

Thinking about how I almost gave that dog up scares the hell out of me.

So, look, Ree...does the cat love you?

Mike Taylor
01-25-2009, 06:06 AM
I've discovered that we don't pick our pets, they kind of pick us. No matter how long you're gone, they'll remember you, too. Years ago, my aunt let me, my brother, and sister pick two cats to take home from the litter that had been born under her porch.

We took home two cats, a boy and a girl, whom we later named Ebenezer and Ariel. Though my brother picked Eb out, I was the one that named him. Evidently, somewhere in his Georgia backwoods DNA there was Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat, because he exploded into a mass of hair when he became an adult.

Anyway, Eb chose me as his "pet human" rather than my brother and even after I moved out and away to Chicago, he remembered who I was when I came home for visits and would go looking for me for days after I would leave. Sadly, he had to be laid to rest in the spring of last year. Old age and failing health were slowly catching up. He's sleeping in his favorite spot under the fig tree at home and I miss him.

Ree, take Stumpers home. Love him, and give him a good life. :)

Sliceanddice
01-25-2009, 06:45 AM
i honestly believe every pet we have choice us.
Max chose my brother.
Misty picked me and my sister.
Chance chose my parents.
Vixy chose my dad.
Buster chose me and my dad.
Diablo chose my brother.
Tonks chose my sister.
Chubbs chose me.
Luke chose my brother.
Serenity loves every member of outr family.
and Claire chose my dad, then me.
if Ree already wants that cat, then its her cat.
No matter what it will always be Ree's cat.
She should have her cat.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I vote no comment.

Only Ree can decide if adopting the cat is right for her at this time.

It is a cute cat, though.

Fire_on_High
01-25-2009, 09:52 AM
The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt ;)

Well, only Ree knows Ree's situation well enough for the true decision, but I'll say this...there's no cat more grateful than a rescue. They understand.

He really does have the look of a cat who just wants to be loved.

Evil Queen
01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
No comment. You can't decide for her, ultimately the choice is hers.

But if she doesn't want him, can I have him? Sure, my roommate is allergic, but who cares? I'm moving in a couple months.

Jester
01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
First, Ree must decide if she wants the cat. If she does, then she must decide if the expense of the adoption is doable or not. Only she can make that decision. If she decides she wants the cat AND she can afford it, then of course she should be allowed to invite him into her family.

As for the grandchild's potential allergy, well, it's potential. It may or may not be. If it does happen that grandchild is allergic, then Ree will have to make another decision, and I am sure she will make one that is good for the furball in question. I'm sorry, I just don't see Ree being the type to throw an innocent cat into a pillowcase and toss him into the snow if she can't keep him. She might do that with a random jester or two, but not a cat. :lol:

The Gatekeeper
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Uh oh Ree, it looks like there are people here who understand cats, and you.

For the record, Ree has said that she wants the cat, it's kind of a timing issue. When she was here Stumpers immediately sat with her and wanted to get pets. With the number of cats in my house (my 8 and at the time I think 3 other fosters) it could have been any cat that did that. In fact there are cats higher in the pecking order that really should have had first shot at the couch.

Someone said that if the cat loves you it's your cat, no matter where it lives. Raps will attest to that, with Mr. Pisser (o.k. his name is actually Harry). During Raps' last visit they bonded, and we both often refer to Harry as Raps' cat.

EQ if Ree doesn't take him you can have Stumpers for sure. $120 CDN to adopt and you just have to fill out an application online. If not him I have lots more :p

Hmm I'm finding more and more I'm ending conversations with people asking them if they want to adopt a cat.

(the original) GK procurer of Cats :lol:

NightAngel
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
GK,

Please understand that I think the world of what you are doing for these homeless kitties.

When we left Florida we had to leave our girl, Rio, behind and it was someone like you who took her in. I would have died if I had to send her to a shelter where she might have ended up euthanized. I have nothing but the deepest respect for what you do.

My concern here with my original post was simply that this thread may put undue stress on Ree to take a pet she may not be ready for. That wouldn't be fair to her or the cat. The membership here doesn't know Ree's full situation or my full situation or most anyone's full situation- this is just an internet message board.

I realize this was all in fun. Hope you understand.

The Gatekeeper
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
No offense taken Night Angel. I hope your doggy is happy in your new home, and that one day you can be a pet parent again.

Just for the record, Ree did know I was going to do this, and didn't express any distress because of it.

Btw everyone...I have heard from some concerned and generous board members privately. There is a pretty good chance that if Ree decides that she can afford to keep a cat, and that it's just the initial adoption fee that is holding her back right now, some anonymous donors are willing to foot the bill. It's up to Ree to decide if her lifestyle will work for her, her family and Stumpers.

Thank you to everyone who expressed your opinion. I think Ree and I both appreciate hearing neutral input. I'm a big girl and can handle hearing a differing opinion. Food for thought all of it.

BookstoreEscapee
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Ooh, pretty kitty!

I've discovered that we don't pick our pets, they kind of pick us. ...
Anyway, Eb chose me as his "pet human" rather than my brother

I agree with you there...My father always said, I hate cats, You can't have a cat, If you come home with a cat one or both of you will have to go...blahblah. Our first cat showed up in our driveway one day and refused to be scared away. Seven years later, he sadly had to be put down due to old age.

We now have 2 cats that my cousin found on his boat when they were only 2-3 days old. He brought them home (there were 4 of them), his wife took care of them for 7 weeks and then somehow we ended up adopting two of them (the other two went to good homes as well). I picked out the girl and my mom picked out the boy. The boy likes my mom best, but the girl is a complete and total daddy's girl. And my dad "tolerates" ;) her.

Anyway, I voted yes because everyone deserves a squishy (and voting is fun), but really I do agree that Ree has to decide if she can afford to take care of a pet. On the subject of babies and allergies, assuming she is not already allergic, having a pet around when she's young may actually make the baby less likely to have allergies when she gets older...

Sliceanddice
01-25-2009, 06:42 PM
(the original) GK procurer of Cats :lol:

no no your the cat pimp.

Lil Bunny
01-25-2009, 07:13 PM
So I read, thought on this for a while and am now voting.

I say go for it. The squishy snuggles of a feline have amazing powers. And, from your story, it seems like the lil guy has already picked her out.

That and I want more pics of the lil guy. ;)

AdminAssistant
01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
The BoyThing's cat loves me. Looooves me. As in, prefers me to him when I'm over. But he's a big fluffball of a kitty and occasionally it bothers me and my sinuses go nutty and my eyes turn bright red. One night BT had to take me home early because he couldn't find his eyedrops and my eyes were so itchy and red I was miserable. The next time I was over, I wouldn't pet the kitty and he was just so...sad. So, BT gives him baths more often and does a better job vaccuuming so that I can give kitty loves without causing myself discomfort. And I keep eyedrops in my purse.

I hope that whatever is decided that it all works out and kitty is happy and Ree is happy.

Miyon
01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree that animals pick their humans.

When I was in high school the family cat would sleep with me at night. When she felt the need to cough up a hairball she would dart to my sister's room and puke on her bed then run back to me and snuggle up.

The family dog became my mom's dog. She would sleep on the floor next to my mom every night. When my dad would get up Brandy would get up to go outside and when she came back in she would go back to my mom and lay next to her until my mom woke up.

Ree
01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Just for the record, Ree did know I was going to do this, and didn't express any distress because of it.LOL...apparently there was a miscommunication, but as I pointed out to GK, I didn't actually know about it.

Apparently, she told me on MSN, but I was also in the midst of another MSN convo with another friend, and she had been sending me movie clips of her children, so I guess I missed the part when I was told that she was making the thread with the poll. :o

(Once I saw it, I knew she had posted it in fun.)

Thanks for all the advice and opinions, and for the votes.

I still don't know what to do, because I have, indeed fallen in love with this cat.

He is gorgeous.

There are just so many things to consider.
Poor thing has had enough disruption, so I would hate to have to uproot him if it wasn't working out.

I have to decide soon, because, based on my answer, that will make the difference in how I return home from GK's place.

If I take the cat, she will drive us home, but if I decide not to take the cat, I will take the train, and I have to order my train ticket(s) soon to get the supersaver rate.

draggar
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Ree:

GET

THE

CAT.

If you both had a bad 2008 then you both deserve a good 2009 and the bet way to accomplish that is to adopt her so you can spend 2009 together. Just imagine - the cat will go to a wonderful home and you'll have a wonderful companion.

McGoddess09
01-25-2009, 09:01 PM
If Ree can afford it and the cat is really attached to her, then by all means. Like others have said, pets choose their owners. My kitty, Fuzzy Butt chose me after being abused for so long. When an animal was abused and chooses a human, that bond is so unbreakable and so amazing.

Oh dear, I do believe I have tears in my eyes.

Evil Queen
01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
EQ if Ree doesn't take him you can have Stumpers for sure. $120 CDN to adopt and you just have to fill out an application online. If not him I have lots more :p

Pretty cheap. Do you take Visa? :lol:

K'Z'K
01-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks for saving and fixing him. I'm sure whoever adopts him (Ree, EQ, or someone else) will give him many good years.

-K'Z'K

fireheart
01-30-2009, 05:23 AM
If the cat requires certain extra attention due to said incident, then just make sure you're able to do whatever is required whether it be giving him medication, taking him here and there etc.

Other than that, all I can say is it's up to you Ree.

Ree
02-15-2009, 06:17 AM
I did it!!!

That furry bundle is all mine.

A very good friend helped me out with the adoption fees, which were the major concern, and I don't think I will ever be able to properly thank him for that. It was so generous and thoughtful.

I brought him home today, and he's still a little nervous. GK has given me a lot of pointers on helping him get used to the place and not so scared.

Poor little guy has been hiding under the desk in my room pretty much since he got here.
At one point, he did stick his little face out, but that's about as far as he will go.

I keep talking to him and try to reassure him that (as GK says) the "big pink monkey" won't hurt him, and I am the same person he decided to pick for adoption.

JuniorMintz
02-15-2009, 07:04 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

*Snoopy Dance*

I am so happy that you decided to take the cat after all... I didn't want to tell you what to do, but at the same time I desperately hoped it would work out!

Don't worry about the shyness. When we first adopted Murphy (come to think of it, he came to my home on Valentines Day 3 years ago! LOL), he was scared shitless and pretty much ignored us for a week. To be fair, he was taken straight from his old home to the vet for neutering, then brought to OUR house, so he was probably like "Who are you people, where the hell am I, and where are my nads?!?" :eek:

Now the little bugger won't leave us alone. He's about the most affectionate feline I've ever known! And he likes my stupid husband more than me, even though it was my idea to get a cat... some gratitude, huh?

He must have figured out that I'm the one that required he be neutered. :lol:

I am so excited. You both deserve every bit of happiness that you can get. And as always...

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

The Gatekeeper
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
It was a long drive for the little guy. He knows Ree so I expect that if he didn't come out overnight, he'll be out soon.

They're a great match. He remembered her when she came in on Monday night.

Right now I suspect you'd only see the floor if she took a pick. Give him a day or so before you blind him with flash .

Kyree
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, I was gonna vote "heck yes" but you beat me to it :lol: Congrats Ree!

BookstoreEscapee
02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Yay!

My girlcat spent the better part of six days last week in my parents' bedroom. They were dog-sitting for my cousin's dog, who was kept in the kitchen the whole time, but she never came more than a few steps down the hall. She only ventured out to use the litterbox that was across the hall (moved up from the basement so they wouldn't have to go through the kitchen). But she came out pretty quick once the dog left. Maybe she was watching him leave from the window.

And he likes my stupid husband more than me, even though it was my idea to get a cat... some gratitude, huh?

Yeah, I picked out girlcat but she loves my dad. Brat.

Ree
02-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I discovered that my new little laptop has a built in webcam, so, without scaring him silly with a flash, I did manage to get pics. (And...yes...I was intelligent enough to know on my own that snapping flash pictures of scared kitty=bad idea, but thanks for the tip in that regard anyway. ;))

He's been curled up under the "CS quilt" and blankets on my bed beside me for the better part of the afternoon, so things are improving slightly.

(Yes, I know they're all pretty much the same.)

Shpepper
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
What a sweet face. I can't wait to see more pics of him.

BookstoreEscapee
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Aw, he looks quite cozy. :)

SengaKitty
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Dawwwwww look at the furbaby :D he's precious, I'm so glad you got him, may your time together be long and happy

The Gatekeeper
02-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Awww ThecatformerlyknownasStumpers..:p

I'm glad he came up. Has he eaten at all?

Ree
02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
It doesn't look like he's eaten. There's still most of the food and water in his dishes.

He hasn't used the litter box again.

I came up to look after the baby so her Mom could go to work, and when I went back down for a quick minute, he was under the bed. It's an improvement from where he was, though.

BookstoreEscapee
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I came up to look after the baby so her Mom could go to work, and when I went back down for a quick minute, he was under the bed. It's an improvement from where he was, though.

Hehe, under the bed is girlcat's favorite place to hide. Her other spot is under my dad's workbench in the back room of the basement. Ain't no one able to get to her under there.:p

Lil Bunny
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Oh Ree, the face, I'm a pile of esploded mushy bleened goo!!

Lili didn't eat/use the box for a few days when we first brought her home. If nothing else, maybe put the box/food/water in the same food with the little sweety pie. Different sides btw, they honestly don't like to poo where they eat. ;)

I am so happy for you though! I am seriously bleening so hard here!!

Ree
02-16-2009, 03:04 AM
I came in to the room just a while ago, and he had obviously been eatiing some food, as the dish was almost empty. YAY!

Going to try to coax him out from under the bed again and give him some snuggles and see if he will stay under the blankets again.

RootedPhoenix
02-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Aww, how cute! *restrains self from gushing all over about cute kittyness and wanders off to find the cat that lives here* :D

Ree
02-16-2009, 03:43 AM
:)
He is purring beside me on my bed.

He was grooming for a bit, and then he kneaded the blankets for a bit.
I snuggled him and gave him some loving and then he lay down beside me and showed me his belly for a bit of scratching, and was purring away the whole time.

Kyree
02-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Cuuuuuuute :) He's adjusting quick!

Ree
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
It's official. We have decided on a name.

As GK mentioned that "Stumpers" bore a striking resemblance to our Canadian Prime Minister around the eyes, my daughter agreed, and so, he is now "Harper".

It's close enough to what he has been getting called, even though he didn't really recognize the name.

I present a side-by-side so you can form your own opinion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/lilsis1125/2009-02-16_100502.jpg

Harper spent the night exploring my room, walking over the desk and other areas, as I found several things lying on the floor this morning.

He had finished off the rest of the food that was in his dish, and he drank some water and used the litter box again.

I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find him, and I thought he might have gone into the closet and got trapped behind the boxes and insulation and assorted other building supplies stored there until the basement can be completed.
I started moving things and picked up what I thought was an empty shipping carton that I had been saving, only to realize it was heavier than it should have been.
I looked inside and there was a furry little face peeking back at me. :lol:

Right now, he is on the end of my bed, looking around and listening to the noises from upstairs.

Rapscallion
02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Has he gone onto his back yet? He did that at Gatekeeper's and we were thinking we may have to get some lilies for his chest :p

Rapscallion

BookstoreEscapee
02-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Better keep an eye on him - he'll end up in boxhab if you're not careful :D

Sounds like he's settling in quite nicely. I wish I could have one at my apartment. :(

Ree
02-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Has he gone onto his back yet?
When I was giving him cuddles last night, he rolled onto his belly and let me scratch it, but he hasn't done the extended pose like he did that night.

The Gatekeeper
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
To be honest, I hadn't seen him in quite that state of bliss before that night, either.
He certainly sounds like he's settled in. He's probably thrilled with the idea of not having to share. I think you can let him roam around inside the house now. He's found his safe place.