PDA

View Full Version : Nunavut has invaded a children's show!

CaroPhoenix
02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Child Rum & I were watching the show "Toot & Puddle" on the Noggin Channel. One of the main characters, I think it was Toot, had to get a book off a shelf because he wanted his friends to know where he was going. It was a huuuuge, heavy book all about Nunavut! (Pronounced by the characters as Noon-ah-voot). It was a cute little story. They have the Northern Lights. And Toot went over an ice bridge and made friends in Nunavut.

Just thought it was cool that it was mentioned. :)

Broomjockey
02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
(Pronounced by the characters as Noon-ah-voot).

Nice that they actually pronounced it correctly, too. :)

Evil Queen
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow. I've been wondering how you pronounce it. I've been calling it "Nuva-Nut" :lol:

CaroPhoenix
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice that they actually pronounced it correctly, too. :)

Did they? Then that's awesome!

Toot & Puddle are about 2 cousins/friends who live together and one or both of them go to other countries and documents what they find there, who they meet and stuff like that. So I suppose the makers of the show want to be as authentic as possible.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Was pink camo somehow involved?

CaroPhoenix
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
LOL ... Nope, didn't see any pink camo at all in the episode. Should I write to the show and complain about it? :p

Lachrymose
02-05-2009, 03:10 AM
"Nuva-Nut"

Sounds like that could be a competitor of Neuticles. (http://www.neuticles.com/)

LibraryLady
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh yes, Nunavut is making its way into the mainstream. On the QE2 in October it was an answer in one of the daily Trivia quizzes. I'm waiting for it to appear in a crossword next.

BTW, if you go to the website of the Nunavut Tourist Authority there are some lovely picture of the scenery and local life. One of the shots is of a 'doggsled'. Yep, that's how it's spelled.

Jester
02-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Wow. I've been wondering how you pronounce it.

I've been pronouncing it as "none of it." Cause that's how it looks to me.

Amusingly, I wowed some Canadian patrons at the bar by being able to name all 13 provinces/territories in Canada without even thinking much about it. (I cannot for the life of me remember how THAT came up, though.)

Considering the typically American LACK of geographical knowledge, they thought that that was pretty impressive.

Bella_Vixen
02-06-2009, 03:47 AM
BTW, if you go to the website of the Nunavut Tourist Authority there are some lovely picture of the scenery and local life. One of the shots is of a 'doggsled'. Yep, that's how it's spelled.

Snoop has his own sled?!?!

edible_hat
02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Wow. I've been wondering how you pronounce it. I've been calling it "Nuva-Nut" :lol:

Now I've got a variation on the Numa Numa song stuck in my heat.

Nuva nuva nut
Nuva nuva nut
Nuva nuva nuva nut etc.

Samaliel
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM

I pronounced it "Nun-Have-Hut'. It makes no sense, but I thought it sounded funny.

fireheart
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Ditto. I've been calling it "noo-vah-noot" or Nuva-nut"

CaroPhoenix
03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Noggin is replaying the Nunavut episode right now. :)

I asked Child Rum if she wanted to go there. She said yes. I asked her to pronounce it.

Her reply?

Noonanoot.

Broomjockey
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Noonanoot.

gaaaaawwwwww, that's so cute :)

One-Fang
03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I've been pronouncing it nah-nah-VUTT (rhymes with but, as in "BUT WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Why have so many had difficulty with whether the V or the other N comes first? Is this a dyslexia thing or something?

fireheart
03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Noggin is replaying the Nunavut episode right now. :)

I asked Child Rum if she wanted to go there. She said yes. I asked her to pronounce it.

Her reply?

Noonanoot.

That is too cute...dammit, we need an "awww" smiley.

And ladies and gentlemen *climbs up onstage*

Noona Noona Noot
Noona Noona Noot etc.

CaroPhoenix
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, my child is adorable and too cute for her own good. :p She mst get it from my side of the family. :angel:

JoitheArtist
03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I saw fabric the other day that would have made even a resident of Nunavut weep...

Hot pink...
Floral...
Camo....

with chocolate brown John Deere logos.

:cry:

I wish I could've gotten a pic, but didn't have a camera with me...

Wingates_Hellsing
03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I saw fabric the other day that would have made even a resident of Nunavut weep...

Hot pink...
Floral...
Camo....

Gah... that makes me weep just thinking of it *once again hides in corner under ACUs*

And while we're on the subject of camo cloth sightings... I just happened to notice that my local cloth store has ripstop in Marpat, Woodland, 6-color Desert, and Urban (not subdued), they assured me that they usually have subdued Urban as well... but it's just too popular :rolleyes:

Besides, where on earth could you be hiding with pink camo? The Hello Kitty store?

Broomjockey
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Besides, where on earth could you be hiding with pink camo? The Hello Kitty store?

I believe we previously discovered it was originally made for hunters, as deer cannot see pink, so it was good for high-vis to other hunters while not tipping off the animals.

Wingates_Hellsing
03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I believe we previously discovered it was originally made for hunters, as deer cannot see pink, so it was good for high-vis to other hunters while not tipping off the animals.

One of my uncles goes hunting with his wife in blaze orange and pink camo respectively.

My ability to transmit humor over the internet must be fading... :(

CaroPhoenix
03-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Hot pink...
Floral...
Camo....

I would actually buy that and make a no-sew blanket or pillow or something for Child Rum to wear and head down to my In-Laws' house. FIL is very into John Deere. :D

Broomjockey
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
My ability to transmit humor over the internet must be fading... :(

Not your fault that we've already done that joke. Keep it up, I like your posts. :)

Wingates_Hellsing
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
You'know, I should really find a link to that hot pink, hello kitty AR.

I first had the (dubious) honor of seeing this thing over at my proffered Airsoft forum... now where is that link....

AHA!
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/Wingates_hellsing/hellokittyar.jpg

worddork
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
You'know, I should really find a link to that hot pink, hello kitty AR.
<snip>
AHA!

That right there is just......know what the word "wrong" just doesn't even begin to cover it.

Who , no wait, why would any one make such a thing?

CaroPhoenix
03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
http://roflrazzi.com/2009/03/17/celebrity-pictures-hello-kitty-innocence-thong/

or how about the website link: :D

Hello Kitty! (http://roflrazzi.com/2009/03/17/celebrity-pictures-hello-kitty-innocence-thong/)

Wingates_Hellsing
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Who , no wait, why would any one make such a thing?

From what I've heard, the maker of this... er... fine peice of firearm goodness made it / had it made for his wife after her brilliant comment, somewhere along the lines of the fact that said firearms are ugly :(

Either that, or just for the sake of F***ing with people like us...:rolleyes:

worddork
03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
From what I've heard, the maker of this... er... fine peice of firearm goodness made it / had it made for his wife after her brilliant comment, somewhere along the lines of the fact that said firearms are ugly :(

Either that, or just for the sake of F***ing with people like us...:rolleyes:

I vote option number 2