PDA

View Full Version : Incompetent IRS!!!!

Caveat Emptor
02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I e-filed yesterday thru TurboTax. Today I get an email that my return was rejected due to an incorrect AGI. I check my 07 return, what I entered was right, but I second guess myself and enter my '06 AGI and resubmit.

REEEEEEEEE-JECTED!!!! :mad: :mad:

I am not the only one; there are at least 12 subjects in the TT forum regarding this!!!

GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hairpull::punch::banghead: Now I'll have to call the IRS tomorrow and maybe wait an hour before getting someone because everyone else will be calling about the same thing!!

BONEHEADS!!!!!

saint
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I think maybe you are supposed to enter your 2008 AGI. I think that is what I did when I e-filed this year.

Bella_Vixen
02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
This seems to be happening a lot.

My older sis did my taxes, and had to resubmit the feds for something or other.

smileyeagle1021
02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
I think maybe you are supposed to enter your 2008 AGI.

nadda, both turbo tax, tax cut, and tax works are saying 2007 AGI... I haven't checked the IRS website though, but when three separate software programs say the same thing I think it's a pretty sure thing.

And I had the same thing happen, which is why my printer is busy spitting out 30 pages of crap right now, between state and federal returns, copies for my records, and checklists for the returns... :rant:

Caveat Emptor
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
After spending half an hour on hold with the IRS, I was told my AGI was on line 15 of last years 1040A.

me: "Not line 21? This says "This is your AGI."

IRS: "No."

me: "Line 15 doesn't take off the $52 in student loan interest I had..."

IRS: "You had no SLI last year."

me: :headscratch: :WTF: Ooo-kaaay....(me thinking "whatever..it lists SLI right here.....I gotta get off the phone") Line 15, then....Alright, thank you very much!

I resubmitted, and it was accepted, so I hope an auditor doesn't call in a few months, I'll be ready with "This is what YOUR customer service TOLD ME TO DO!!!"

:wave:

saint
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
:shrug:
Taxes make my head hurt. I usually bribe my dad to do them (he likes my cookies better than moms) But I'd thought I'd do it online this year. Next year i'm just making the damn cookies.

Giggle Goose
02-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know if free sites like Tax Act are any good? I can't afford to spend a huge chunk of my refund on H & R Block. I just want to see if it's worth it to go online.

Monica
02-11-2009, 01:54 AM
I do my taxes through tax act. The federal return is free and the state costs $14.95. It is very easy, you just follow the instructions which are easy. I got my refund in a week! :D

Becks
02-11-2009, 04:36 AM
My older sis did my taxes, and had to resubmit the feds for something or other.

Same here, but now I have to submit a paper copy.

Just gotta find out of I have to attach my W-2s...and where those are. :eek:

Bella_Vixen
02-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Same here, but now I have to submit a paper copy.

Just gotta find out of I have to attach my W-2s...and where those are. :eek:

They're over here somewhere. Call Mom. She can hunt for them.

Mr. Rager!
02-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I did my taxes through TurboTax. It was a breeze. AGI? Was that for doing an e-file again? Did you try to find an old PIN?

Lachrymose
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Does anyone know if free sites like Tax Act are any good? I can't afford to spend a huge chunk of my refund on H & R Block. I just want to see if it's worth it to go online.

I'll chime in as another who has sworn by Tax Act for the past three years or so.

PuckishOne
02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I did my taxes on TurboTax and had no problem, but I did a friend's for him (also on TurboTax) and for some reason it took forEVER for his return to get accepted, despite it being a simpler return than my own (which got accepted pretty much immediately). TurboTax is a great application, but not without its glitches, to be sure...if only they'd actually call the IRS and sit on hold and in automated-attendant hell for you. ;)

As for the IRS, I spent the better part of a year fighting them over a data-entry error they had made (they entered my corrected-return information to the wrong tax year), including getting a lien lifted from my paychecks :eek: and going back and forth via phone and in person, multiple times, pointing out exactly where the error had occurred until someone finally realized what I was talking about and got the wheels turning for fixing it. Eventually I was refunded everything I was owed, including interest, which was wonderful, but it felt like bashing my head against the wall for months to get there.

Primer
02-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Darn. This thread reminded me that now that the parents are finally home from the hospital, I still have to do my tax return. :cry:

I'll be getting a BUNCH back, at which time, I'll be :D but the thought of alllll that paperwork, even WITH Turbo Tax.... :cry:

wagegoth
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll be getting a BUNCH back, at which time, I'll be :D but the thought of alllll that paperwork, even WITH Turbo Tax.... :cry:

The last couple of years the TurboTax has gotten simpler and simpler. I think it took me less than an hour this year, and that included having to enter all our information from scratch and disbursements on 401(k)s. It scared me a bit.

Broomjockey
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm annoyed because of this thread. Why? Because it's now the middle of February, and I have not gotten a bleeding thing related to my taxes. Seriously. No T4s, nothing. If I don't get them soon, I think I'm gonna start having to bust heads.

Giggle Goose
02-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Since I was a dependent in the 2007 tax year, I didn't get the stimulus check that everyone else got, so I'm getting a $492 credit :D:D:D. That's because I'm filing as an independent for the first time. I also got mad money for the interest I paid on student loan debt, along with the actual money paid for my college expenses.

But when I tried to call the IRS to get my AGI, I was told that there was an extremely high call volume and that I wouldn't be able to do it when I called this evening. I might go to my local IRS office since there's one nearby, but I'm sure everyone working there is going to be as cranky and incompetent as the reps you guys all had to deal with. Of course, there's probably an exception, but I can't say I've had a positive experience so far....:rolleyes:

Dips
02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I knew I would owe this year so I wanted to do my taxes before we filed the financial aid forms. I've always done my own taxes by hand.

This year I had a trial version of TurboTax. It does all work for both federal a state taxes and if you want to print it out and efile, you simply buy it. That sounded like a good offer. If I didn't like it, I'd just not buy it and do my taxes by hand instead.

Well, I have Vista and it wouldn't let TT install from the CD. I went to the TT site and downloaded a fix which would copy files from the CD onto my desktop and let me install that way. The progress window said it could take a while.

Not having anything better to do while I was waiting, I decided to do my taxes by hand. I finished the 1040 with schedule A and form stating that we paid college tuition. TT? Still copying.

I had some lunch, ran some errand and came home.

TT? Still copying.

OK. I started on the state form. Massachusetts has a four page form 1. Then I had to fill out a two page schedule to prove I had health insurance. Oh, and we made $4 in interest on our mortgage escrow at an out-state-bank. Declaring that required that I fill out another two page schedule.

I got them all done. TT? Still copying. :lol:

Since I was done, I stopped the process, deleted the files that had been copied and removed the disk.

Maybe next year I'll race TT again. :p