PDA

View Full Version : the bread dance!

PepperElf
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
it's my new obsession

taking a recipe i found for simple bread (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,149166-245203,00.html) and ... experimenting.

i made it to recipe (though halved) once, using whole wheat flour, though I don't bother sifting. since then, i've made it with diced apples, diced mangos, both fruits combined...

today's substitutions were (using regular flour this time)... 1 egg for the oil, and an addition of 1/2 cup dried blueberries, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 chopped dates, & 1/2 chopped hazelnuts (cos i like those more than walnuts).

No idea what it tastes like though. I just pulled the loaf from the oven.

but hey it sounds interesting at least. and should taste... unusual when i use it for a chicken sammich! :)

lupo pazzesco
02-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm making bread too!

a loaf of french bread for my bruschetta and some mini bread bowls for a hot spinach and artichoke dip. Om nom nom....

sounds interesting, I shall have to save the ideas for add-ins for future use... :)

Nurian
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I suck at making bread. I think I kill the yeast or something because the dough never rises. Most stuff I cook=good. Bread= blunt object.

lupo pazzesco
02-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I suck at making bread. I think I kill the yeast or something because the dough never rises. Most stuff I cook=good. Bread= blunt object.

Hrmm...mebbe the yeast is dead from too hot of water for proofing?

I've had moments, attempting to make bread and ending up with a hockey puck instead...or a football, as hard as they were...

Now I find it therapeutic to beat the crap out of the dough...very cathartic...

dalesys
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Dwarf combat bread like mother used to forge...
ref: Sir Terry Pratchett

A lifesaver at school, both in the classroom and the combat zone (playground).