PDA

View Full Version : Who else is expecting SNOW this weekend?

DGoddessChardonnay
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Yep . . . the land of NASCAR (er, NASCRAP) is expecting white stuff.

It's March the FIRST . . . the trees got spoiled a couple of weeks back when we had highs in the 60's and they're now wanting to bud out. Spring isn't officially in for about 3 more weeks yet.

The Weather Channel just announced the snow is in Atlanta right now as I'm typing. We're expected to start seeing ours sometime this afternoon.

Right now we've got rain and have had it since Friday afternoon. Nonstop rain. The low Friday was around 50 and stayed that way through the morning yesterday. Then the temp started falling into the 40's and by the time I left the Litter Box around 4, it was in the low 40's. I picked up what little we needed (needed more drinks, cleaning stuff and a loaf of bread) made a quick smoke run, then to the drugstore to pick up meds before heading home.

Right now the temp is holding at 33 and we've got sleet that's been falling all morning. It's accumulating a little on the trees and power lines. Depending on which channel you listen to, the amount of snow expected changes slightly:

Weatherbug: 4-8 inches expected by morning.

Digtriad.com (aka WFMY News2) 3-7 inches total

WXII (Channel 12) - 3-5 inches (that was yesterday at 6 a.m.)

And of course, with any icing, we can expect possible power outages. I've got the cell phone charged (just in case we lose power) and the laundry is almost done (gotta have clean clothes.) Plenty of groceries in the house (got a bunch stocked up on Wednesday.)

We'll probably have slick roads for the next couple of days: lows tonight are expected to be around 25, high maybe 33 again tomorrow and a bone-chillng 14 for tomorrow night.:eek:

Bright side is that we're expecting upper 60's for highs by Friday.

Strange weather it is here in North Carolina . . . :no:

Caveat Emptor
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
:wave:

3-6 inches for the Balt/DC corridor.

They'll probably go Code Yellow / "X" hour starting delay for my agency tomorrow.

Greenday
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
We got snow. I'm soooooo pissed off. I was doing my morning ritual of taking a leak before my shower and was blinded by the light outside. When my eyes finally focus, I realized it was snow. Supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow too. DAMNIT.

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
According to my dad, we are expecting 10-12 inches before the end of the day tomorrow. He suggested I take off tomorrow if I can. I can't. (Not only are Mondays our busy day, it's the beginning of the fiscal month tomorrow which makes it twice as busy, and my boss is on vacation. He's coming home from Mexico tomorrow.)

protege
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
No snow in Pittsburgh :) Still cold though--it was only in the 30s yesterday. Didn't stop me from taking the MG out for some 'spirited' driving. It's March, when is it going to start warming up? I'm tired of being cold, dammit!

Jester
03-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Who else is expecting SNOW this weekend?

Not me. :whistle: :cool:

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 05:48 PM

...where did I put that thing... oh, here it is!

:salmon:

DGoddessChardonnay
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM

...where did I put that thing... oh, here it is!

:salmon:

Thanks for finding that.

And another :salmon: from me, Jester. :wave:

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for finding that.

Not a problem. I have more if needed. :D

Jester
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Threaten me with salmon beatings all you want.

Doesn't change the fact that I am going bicycling this afternoon. Down a beach road. During Spring Break. With hot chicks in bikinis.

Yeah, break out all the salmons you want. I doubt I'll notice. :lol:

AdminAssistant
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I got snow yesterday (oooh..surprise, surprise) and my folks got several inches of snow as well. They were pretty worried they might lose power again...but all of the weak poles have been replaced now!! :lol:

Becks
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm in Wisconsin. I expect snow up through mid-April. :p

And don't forget, NJ peeps, that the great state of New Jersey has been known to get a decent amount of snowfall in the middle of March.

Why, I remember back in the day (ok, a couple of years ago) when there was a good foot or so of snow that fell and I had to spend my day off/St. Patrick's Day shoveling snow.

Fun was had by none that day.

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
And don't forget, NJ peeps, that the great state of New Jersey has been known to get a decent amount of snowfall in the middle of March.

I remember a blizzard in April when I was in 2nd grade.

All the snow has melted off my balcony. I'm about to head to the grocery store for milk 'n' stuff. Hope there's some left, because you know how people have to stock up when they might have to spend one day inside...

/not stocking up, just used up the last of what I had this morning

SteverinoNY
03-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Six to 14 inches here in lovely NYC...with winds ripping up to 40mph

The weather man also reported that the higher level atmosphere will be warm enough early on in the storm that rain will fall from high levels, then turn to ice
but then the snow will kick in and cover the ice.

Sounds lovely doesn't it:cry:

Greenday
03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
6-8 inches tonight, with another 2-4 inches tomorrow morning. Awesome...

Jester
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I remember a blizzard in April when I was in 2nd grade.

I wonder if you are about my age......because I remember an April blizzard when I was in grade school in southern New York State. I remember it all too well, because I had crashed at my friend's place the night before, and had to walk home through the blizzard in very NON blizzard type clothes. For a kid who didn't like cold, that walk was very, VERY miserable! :(

Broomjockey
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm responding without reading the thread, because I saw Jester'd replied, so I wanted to predict what he said.

*holds hand to forehead* I'm getting... something involving Key West, mocking those in colder climes, and bragging about t-shirts....

I wonder if I was right...

ETA: Yep, spread over several posts, but it's there. :p

dalesys
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I shoveled six inches of partly cloudy off my driveway on May 15th, 1975 or 76.
Salt Lake City, UT - NW of city center, not in mountains only about 5' above highest recorded lake level.
Old coot cackle:D

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I wonder if you are about my age......because I remember an April blizzard when I was in grade school in southern New York State. I remember it all too well, because I had crashed at my friend's place the night before, and had to walk home through the blizzard in very NON blizzard type clothes. For a kid who didn't like cold, that walk was very, VERY miserable! :(

I believe I am about 5 years younger than you.

I just got back from the grocery store. There was plenty of milk but I went to the deli and got #63. They were on #48. I decided I don't need turkey that much.

Greenday
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
BookstoreEscapee, you should come over and we could have a snow party!

DGoddessChardonnay
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM

I'd like to come too, but I don't have any snow to bring just yet.

I think it got held up in traffic or stopped off at a bar for a drink or two on the way here. :shrug:

draggar
03-01-2009, 11:17 PM
It's going to be good snowing weather tonight here in Ft Lauderdale. We've actually had several nights like this winter (but no snow yet). Right now a cold front moved though a few hours ago and the temperature has gone from 84 to 61 in three hours, and still dropping.

It's cool out, could reach the 30s tonight, it's dry, and any kind of precipitation could turn into snow.

BookstoreEscapee
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Aren't you at school now?

I will be passing by your general direction next Sunday when I go out to PA. I'll save a snowball to throw at you. :D

Greenday
03-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Aren't you at school now?

I will be passing by your general direction next Sunday when I go out to PA. I'll save a snowball to throw at you. :D

I have Spring Break this week so I'm home until Sunday.

DGoddessChardonnay
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
The snow finally arrived right after 7 p.m. . . .

I just went outside a few minutes ago and took a few pictures:

RetailWorkhorse
03-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Got flurries, got white-out conditions from the wind, but none of it stuck anywhere.

AND THE WIND KILLED OUR E-Z UP! FUCKING SON OF A BITCH! :pissed:

Cat
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Its the Monday Mega-Storm (so sayeth the Weather Channel)!!! Run, flee to the hills New England...oh wait....we've gotten used to this, yes? Oh no, for it has not snowed in CT in a few weeks, so I think they state will have forgotten how to drive in the white stuff. That's why I'm working from home, I don't want to deal with the idiot drivers.

Jim Cantore (droooool) was just on the Wx Channel, and witnessed thundersnow....so awesome.

But seriously, anyone who will be out in this...be safe.

BookstoreEscapee
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
We've just noticed that it's snowing...don't know how long it's been coming down, though.

I think I'll have some ice cream... :p

DGoddessChardonnay
03-02-2009, 01:01 AM
We've just noticed that it's snowing...don't know how long it's been coming down, though.

I still have some of Mom's Vanilla pound cake that she just made Thursday. It goes great with ice cream.:wave:

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Jim Cantore (droooool) was just on the Wx Channel, and witnessed thundersnow....so awesome.

I remember when he had hair.

I watched the Weather Channel a lot as a kid.

Cat
03-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I remember when he had hair.

I watched the Weather Channel a lot as a kid.

I got my degree in meteorology....most of us gals had a thing for Jim, and the guys liked Kristina Abernathy :)

Greenday
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM

You sure you aren't in my household? We just moved the cars once we noticed the snow and then my stepdad and I went out to Carvel for some ice cream magical goodness.

BookstoreEscapee
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
I had ice cream in the freezer...and chocolate sundae syrup...and bananas... mmm:p

blas
03-02-2009, 02:38 AM
I think for the coming week, so far, us Wisconsin CSers are going to knock wood and maybe breathe a sigh of relief that we might just be able to squeak by without too much snow. So far, it looks like there's a chance for light but most likely not accumulating snow on Wednesday....

After last Thursday (and not to mention all of December!) it's good to be able to kick back and breathe. And the fact that it's going to be in the 40s starting on Tuesday. Thursday it might even RAIN! And by Friday, it might, just might, just miiiight make it to 50 again.....:)

Greenday
03-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Darn, there goes my idea of moving all the snow to blas's area. I was going to say they wouldn't even notice.

Rine
03-02-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm so sick of this yo-yo weather. It warmed up last week (70's, I think) and now it's 42 degrees outside...but the kicker is that the wind is gusting up to 30 MPH so it feels like 30 outside. The low is 27 so I wonder what the wind chill for that will be.

42 degrees I can handle. Don't even have to wear a coat in that weather, just a light sweater maybe if I walk far. But the wind is awful.

I heard it snowed in Memphis. I remember when I lived there in '94 during the ice storm and it snowed. (at least, I think that's when it snowed a couple of inches...my memory is a bit fuzzy right now.) Fun times...we loved the snow, hated the prolonged power outage.

Jester
03-02-2009, 04:08 AM
I got my degree in meteorology....most of us gals had a thing for Jim, and the guys liked Kristina Abernathy :)

Well, DUH.....Kristina is a hottie. :eyewaggle:

And I don't know about for winter weather, but down here in Hurricane Alley, the general rule of thumb is that if Jim Cantore is where you are, you really should be somewhere else. :lol:

lordlundar
03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Yeah, break out all the salmons you want. I doubt I'll notice. :lol:

Now see, this is why I'm not so nice. Anything short of a 5 pound hammer with contact explosives on it aimed at the head is a wasted effort.:devil:

Caveat Emptor
03-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I said Code Yellow..it's Code Red. Closed. Off work today. I had to call the status line twice, two hours apart, because being from upstate NY I feel odd about not having to go to work. I've driven to work in minus degree temps and white-out conditions back "home," and I feel like I'm somehow playing hooky now. :lol:

Cat
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, DUH.....Kristina is a hottie. :eyewaggle:

And I don't know about for winter weather, but down here in Hurricane Alley, the general rule of thumb is that if Jim Cantore is where you are, you really should be somewhere else. :lol:

They do stick him in the heart of blizzards as well :) Funny thing is, if we knew Jim was anywhere near CT, most of my ol' meteorology buds would go to where the chaos is, haha.

InSearchOfSunset
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
.....welllll as for snow up here in Canada... Last June I was playing soccer outside .. and it started to snow.. then snow harder.. then we got a freakin snow storm!!! in JUNE!!!! and as for right now.. it's def lovely weather for a sleigh ride :D

AirHostess
03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I am hoping for more snow to cause airport chaos over here but don't want to miss my very easy 3 day trip on Thursday. I would be quite happy to be stranded in a five star hotel downroute though :) *Fingers crossed.*

Cat
03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm a little irked it stopped snowing (for now) I hate wasting a work from home day

Greenday
03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
A couple pictures from today...

Jester
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
They do stick him in the heart of blizzards as well.

Yes, but the difference is, generally speaking a blizzard is not going to blow your house over, land your truck on your neighbor's house, or put fish in the trees. :lol:

Greenday
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, but the difference is, generally speaking a blizzard is not going to blow your house over, land your truck on your neighbor's house, or put fish in the trees. :lol:

No, but it could still cause trees to fall and houses to collapse from the snow.

Broomjockey
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
No, but it could still cause trees to fall and houses to collapse from the snow.

That, and not being able to open your door because of the 5 feet of hard-pack keeping you penned in, roads being so bad the *snowplows* can't get out, powerlines snapping across the county, etc.

Cat
03-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Oh trust me, I know :) I know hurricanes real well, they were my main interest in school, ha. My G-Rents are in FL and each time a 'cane comes through, they say, "Oh was windy" :)

DGoddessChardonnay
03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Well, we ended up with around 4 inches when it stopped snowing early this morning.

At least we didn't have as much icing on the trees . . . it was snow mostly. But in the morning we could be dealing with black ice, as the temps are expected to be around 13 degrees (F).

I took a a few pics of the front yard this morning right after I got up and a few more around 7:30 before I left out for work.

Caveat Emptor
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Today is supposed to be garbage day, but apparently 4 inches is sufficient for the lazy idiots to skip out. :mad:

AdminAssistant
03-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, I hope this qualifies March for coming in like a lion....now we know that the end of March will be nice! :lol:

Mr. Rager!
03-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Today is supposed to be garbage day, but apparently 4 inches is sufficient for the lazy idiots to skip out. :mad:

Where do you live?

A lot of places aren't well equipped for snow removal so it could actually be dangerous for them to travel. You don't do their job, to cast judgement on them because your trash didn't get picked up seems to be a tad on the rude side.

I live in Minnesota, and trash gets delayed. Big deal. I don't insult them for it.

RecoveringKinkoid
03-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Tell youi how much of a sure thing it was this weekend. My sister came up here from Savannah with her boy so he could see some snow. He's never seen it.

Three hour drive, that.

So I went over to my parent's place with my kid so they could play together and nobody'd have to travel in snow, because it hardly ever snows here and when it does, we're pretty much paralyzed by it. So we all stayed at Mom and Dad's drinking hot chocolate and having fun.

And the weather outside SURE LOOKED AND SMELLED LIKE SNOW.

And we're watching the weather and here it comes, it's a SURE THING.

Except that it never snowed. Bummer. :( We didn't even get an ice, for crying out loud.

It's cold as a witch's tit in a brass brassiere, I want some damn snow. Otherwise, I want it 70 degrees or hotter.

Well, we had fun anyways, except my sister wants to send the weatherman her gas bill.

Caveat Emptor
03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Where do you live?

A lot of places aren't well equipped for snow removal so it could actually be dangerous for them to travel. You don't do their job, to cast judgement on them because your trash didn't get picked up seems to be a tad on the rude side.

I live in Minnesota, and trash gets delayed. Big deal. I don't insult them for it.

MD between Annap. and Baltimore.

Sorry for being harsh, but to me the amount of snow we had was nowhere NEAR enough for them not to collect. The only time I have seen ANY refuse collection skipped was after a weeks accumulation, we're talking several feet. I call them idiots because I have found my garbage can thrown 15 feet away from the curb sometimes. I fully agree with Obama that this area is full of weather wimps!! I've driven to work in minus temps and white-out conditions; they get a few inches here and it's "Do Not Report!" :wave:

blas
03-04-2009, 01:03 AM
If you think that's bad.....around here, most apartment buildings share one dumpster, and garbage trucks have this handy dandy gizmo that picks up the dumpster, holds it upside down, empties it, and sets it back down.

And one time......the dumpster came down on someone's vehicle.