PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's ONE way to remember it (vulgar)

RecoveringKinkoid
04-01-2009, 01:55 AM
So we're at music practice and I've just learned to play mandolin. It's different from a guitar, which is what I'm used to, so I was having a LOT of trouble remembering what notes to tune the strings to. I kept asking my friend who plays the fiddle (same tuning) and I just COULD NOT remember the proper sequence of the notes (I mean, one night, I tuned the damned thing backwards.).

All of a sudden, Ivar (who features in many of my nuttier stories) suddenly looked up and said "G:censored:d-d:censored:n ass eaters!!!!!"

We looked at him, shocked, and then everyone just about died laughing.

A mandolin is tuned G-D-A-E. I have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out. :lol:

tropicsgoddess
04-01-2009, 04:39 AM
I was having a LOT of trouble remembering what notes to tune the strings to. I kept asking my friend who plays the fiddle (same tuning) and I just COULD NOT remember the proper sequence of the notes (I mean, one night, I tuned the damned thing backwards.).

All of a sudden, Ivar (who features in many of my nuttier stories) suddenly looked up and said "G:censored:d-d:censored:n ass eaters!!!!!"

We looked at him, shocked, and then everyone just about died laughing.

A mandolin is tuned G-D-A-E. I have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out. :lol:

Hey, it's easier and more fun to remember than FACE (for the treble clef) or ACEG (for the bass clef) sequences. :roll::lol:

crazylegs
04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Heh, I always used to have problems remembering which were stalegtites, and which were stalegmites, until I learned this little ditty
Tights go down

Medics use the following for remembering how to attach leads to you for (I think) an ECG

Ride Your Gorgeous Bird
(Red, Yellow, Green, Blue [I think])

[/threadjack]

fireheart
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Try learning various instruments in a gamelan-Indonesian music ensemble. They're mostly variations of xylophones, but you have to remember to dampen and the other instruments are even more interesting. A few times I've called the gambang (wooden xylophone) a "gangbang" :roll:

Broomjockey
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Heh, I always used to have problems remembering which were stalegtites, and which were stalegmites, until I learned this little ditty
Tights go down

That's because you're spelling it incorrectly. It's stalactites. There's a 'c' in it. That's how I remember which is which. The 'c' is for 'ceiling.'

iradney
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I remembered stalagtites as ceiling coz they have to hold on tight. Stalagmites as floor coz they mite reach the ceiling...

RecoveringKinkoid
04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, it's easier and more fun to remember than FACE (for the treble clef) or ACEG (for the bass clef) sequences. :roll::lol:

That's for reading sheet music. I'm talking the actual strings on the instrument.

Hey, everyone, threadjack all you like, I love these little memory devices.

Here's one we used in TV for remembering which end of the cable goes into the remote truck and which end goes into the camera. You spool out a city-block-long length of cable, you do NOT want to have to reverse the direction of it because you pulled out the male end instead of the female end. "Fuck the Truck" means the male connector goes to the truck and the female one goes to the camera.

Hmmm...all my memory devices seem to be very, very vulgar. :o

Nyoibo
04-01-2009, 02:58 PM
AI have had ZERO problems remembering how to tune the thing from that moment on out. :lol:

And thus it has fulfilled it's purpose.

Broomjockey
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I remembered stalagtites as ceiling coz they have to hold on tight. Stalagmites as floor coz they mite reach the ceiling...

:runaway: Ah! You're doing it too!

Stalactites: Have a c, for ceiling.
Stalagmites: Have a g, for ground. Not just helpful to remember which is which, but how they're spelled! *faints*

dalesys
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
:runaway: Ah! You're doing it too!

Stalactites: Have a c, for ceiling.
Stalagmites: Have a g, for ground. Not just helpful to remember which is which, but how they're spelled! *faints*

You sound like my younger daughter, Broom.

Her summer job (when she isn't teaching 7th/8th science) is:
"Pounding Tourists Into A Hole In The Ground (is much more fun than sand...)"

She's a tour guide at Timpanogos Cave National Monument.:D

Broomjockey
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
You sound like my younger daughter, Broom.

I'll take that as a compliment. :p I've never been a cave tour guide, but my nerdery knows no bounds.

One-Fang
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I never actually knew those were spelt differently that way. I used the 'holds tight / might reach' method as well, but now I'm going to use c for ceiling, g for ground but probably more as a spelling aid than which is which.

I mean really, those of us who can't spell would probably just use stalagtites and stalacmites and think we had *that* right and *still* get it wrong! :) So that isn't a very useful one for which is which, IMHO.

BookstoreEscapee
04-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Tites on Top!! :D

dalesys
04-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Electronics color code:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly
(Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Grey, White = 0123456789)

Or stars:
Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me

goldaries13
04-05-2009, 05:19 AM
For the wrist bones (don't believe House, they missed one:

Scared Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle

which stands for Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetrum, Pisiform, Trapezium, Trapezoid, Capitate, and Hamate. If it weren't for that mnemonic, I never would have cleared my anatomy and physiology lab practical.

Chanlin
04-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Soak a toe for trigonometric identities. My high school trig teacher taught us this one. Works very well.

soh cah toa or

sin = opposite/hypotenuse

cos = adjacent/hypotenuse

tan = opposite/adjacent

He
Never
Argues with
Krazy
Xenophobic
Radicals

Mnemonic for the noble gasses Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon

Rapscallion
04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
That's because you're spelling it incorrectly. It's stalactites. There's a 'c' in it. That's how I remember which is which. The 'c' is for 'ceiling.'

Over here in the UK, 'tights' are what I think you would call 'hose'. It makes more sense when you know that.

Rapscallion