PDA

View Full Version : Google yourself

Bright_Star
04-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Have you ever gone on Google & "googled yourself"? I've heard that if you do that you can find some strange things.

smileyeagle1021
04-02-2009, 01:07 AM
yes... I actually have... apparantly I'm a famous foosball player in England (is there really such a thing as a famous foosball player :p )

BookstoreEscapee
04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I found out I'm on Facebook...there's an old version of the website for the publisher I used to work for (left there in 2001) that still comes up...

If I just google my first name I find a lot of sites in German (my name is a German word; not a name in German).

RayvenQ
04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
yes... I actually have... apparantly I'm a famous foosball player in England (is there really such a thing as a famous foosball player :p )

In everywhere except the USA, Yes :p

And it's Football, not soccer, not Foosball, Football don't make me get out the large stick :p

Bandit
04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Yep - I can't find myself. I share a name with a weird director who's movies are set in Baltimore for the most part.

There are about 16.6 million hits on the name.

B

Kheldarson
04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I get a photographer, pitcher, dog trainer, another one of me on facebook...nothing related to me. But looking up my forum name gets you a listing of everything I've done. ^^

Trayol
04-02-2009, 01:41 AM
There are at least two people on Facebook with my name, neither are me. Also, an artist, some British geographer and apparently some guy getting drafted into the NFL. According to Google, my name exists but I don't.

Lachrymose
04-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Yep - I can't find myself. I share a name with a weird director who's movies are set in Baltimore for the most part.

There are about 16.6 million hits on the name.

B

Hi, John! :wave: :p

My name is way too common as well.

Googling my name in quotes turns up almost a million results.

DesignFox
04-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I have Googled myself and I legitimately come up in a few places.

Turns out I share a name with some obscure actress (not from the US), too. :)

Sheldonrs
04-02-2009, 02:02 AM
That's how I found someone with my same first and last name. He's a lawyer and also a best selling author. I've even met him a few times. Really a nice guy. And one of the really wierd parts is our signatures are almost identical.
He sends me copies of his books when they come out and signs them from Sheldon Siegel TO Sheldon Siegel. :D

Reyneth
04-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm the only me in existence. Most of the hits are for elite gymnast's websites that have used my photos. :D

BethB
04-02-2009, 02:24 AM
my poor little sister. She had a class in middle school, I believe, and they were told to Google themselves. She was VERY unaware that she shared the same name as a murdered Playboy bunny. She was a bit shocked when she came home and told us. The rest of us were all like "yeah I've heard about her". Poor kid.

smileyeagle1021
04-02-2009, 02:31 AM
In everywhere except the USA, Yes :p

And it's Football, not soccer, not Foosball, Football don't make me get out the large stick :p

no, I really do mean foosball (http://www.foosball.com/content.php?page=239) no typo.

and I just did the search again... I am easily amused...
somehow my name has been attached to a page entitled "gay in nevada"... which amuses me because I don't even live in Nevada (anymore) :p

Aethian
04-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I found out I'm a very pretty blond who is a partner in some company...who celebrated their 30th birthday 15 years ago...

I also found out a girl with my name on myspace who has a much...funner life. *snifs*

Summerfly413
04-02-2009, 02:53 AM
My real self comes up in an online newspaper article from when I graduated in June(along with everyone in my class)
Another is the real me from a picture in the newspaper from my prom night (where I'm trying to desperately hide a chocolate stain I got on myself earlier that night from the chocolate fountain) :D
Real me on a Rise Against fan site.

Didn't know I was out there so much. At least it's nothing too bad for future employers to stumble upon

smileyeagle1021
04-02-2009, 02:58 AM
My real self

oh, if we're talking about real me... I've found my facebook, myspace, a note about me in my grandma's obit, a few classmates.com listings, a note about me on RHPG's myspace, and something about me on Fenrus's facebook...
quite interesting

Rine
04-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Yes, I have. Two results are for classmates.com...two results are from when my comments were published on bbc.com (albeit, they were changed significantly or my name was paired with the wrong comment at least once.) One result from a petition.

I get paranoid about these things...I don't want my name popping up all over the place. Ugh, but my general internet handles pop up everywhere, same with my e-mail addresses. I can't believe half the crap I've signed up and I don't even remember why I did. :lol:

dalesys
04-02-2009, 04:01 AM
I came up #1 on a google search for my full name as:
11th great-grandson of Wolphert Gerretse Van Kouwenhoven, one of the founders of New Amsterdam in 1625.

... This said little lizard said "My ancestors were dinosaurs" ... Robert A. Heinlein "The Notebooks Of Lazarus Long"

Kogarashi
04-02-2009, 04:30 AM
The first page of hits for my married name are all random people I don't know, but both my first and last names are common enough that I'm not surprised there are multiple others with the same combo.

Using my maiden name instead of my married, I actually get four legitimate hits on the first page, one of which is an old Poetry.com entry from when I was in high school. The other three are art-related. Now to figure out how to get my actual art site to come up on the first page of a Google search....

TimmyHate
04-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Apparently i'm an Australian Politician...other than that i get links about myself from my rowing days.

LingualMonkey
04-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Most of my Google hits are me, virtually all for things that I've written in the past. The first picture under my name, however, is a guitar player for a band in Pennsylvania. His middle name is my last name.

I did find another "me" in California and one who's a public works manager in New South Wales.

Amusingly, my last name is the same as a major corporation. My wife's first name is Sue. So if I Google her, I get news stories about people wanting to sue <major corporation>.

edible_hat
04-02-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm unique, currently I show up on Facebook, a links page including a link to a site that no longer exists, a picture I drew that's in the Museum of Children's Art, some South Australian Road Runners' Club event write-ups, and some art projects that my brother has worked on with people who share my first name.

My wife's maiden name comes up with a real estate agent in San Francisco, we found that out last year when she had the wrong email address on her website and we kept getting emails asking about apartments for rent.

JLRodgers
04-02-2009, 06:11 AM
googling my names I use online (like logings or just my real name) frequently turn up me. Not all are me, but with my actual name -- I show up on google and other search engines at the #1/2 position. Of course having a domain name that is my name, with my name plastered on it and other things.... it was bound to happen.

I've even used my username being googled to find website I've registered on before that I competely forgot about :lol: -- but they're not all me, as my initials are extremely common.

edible_hat
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Now to figure out how to get my actual art site to come up on the first page of a Google search....

Put up lots of awesome content that people want to link to!

Apparently i'm an Australian Politician...

So, your real name is Richard Face?

TimmyHate
04-02-2009, 08:31 AM
So, your real name is Richard Face?

Rule #1 broken! Dang it.

edible_hat
04-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Rule #1 broken! Dang it.

even funnier, the high school he went to has a Richard Face Award for Academic Excellence. Imagine the hassles you'd get for winning the dick face award...

Akasa
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
According to google I'm a published scientist. I forget her field of expertese.

Jester
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I have googled myself, yes.

Apparently I am a Miami judge, a British novelist, and/or a disgraced former president of a prestigious university. Among other things. :lol:

Aethian
04-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I have googled myself, yes.

Apparently I am a Miami judge, a British novelist, and/or a disgraced former president of a prestigious university. Among other things. :lol:

Well Damn Jester...you've been busy.

draftermatt
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I've found a musician from Minnesota

Some guy who was keeping track of his bike ride around America

A doctor in Charleston, SC

All I can find of myself is a phonebook listing.

Geek King
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
A hairdresser with a chain of salons in California.

A session guitar player in Texas

A recent graduate in Maryland

and the only real one:

Contributor to the Bad Kitty (http://www.badpets.net/BadPets/BadKitty.html) List.

Becks
04-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I've googled myself on occasion.

Not much, and what there is isn't interesting.

:shrug:

Maybe I need to get out more. :lol:

tropicsgoddess
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
My last name is a small province/city in The Netherlands.:D

LibraryLady
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes, I googled myself and found something vry interesting. I was a Scottish illustrator in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I didn't even know that I existed but I findI like my work very much.

Aethian
04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes, I googled myself and found something vry interesting. I was a Scottish illustrator in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I didn't even know that I existed but I findI like my work very much.

*giggles* You rock.

crazylegs
04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
37,400 hits,

I'm a Dr, a footballer, a comedian, a fellow in a university, I've also been a special advisor to the Prime Minister! :p I've also been a musician, a realtor, a journalist and an assistant head coach for a womans basketball team.

Not bad, not bad! :lol:

Dips
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
According to google I'm a published scientist. I forget her field of expertese.

Me too! My area was studying the differentiation of peptide-producing cells in the gut. ;)

Broomjockey
04-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't do vanity googling because that's how people's info was compromised in that log leak a while ago. There was no identifying information, except the people who'd searched for their own name. That, and there's at least a few famously dead people with almost the same name, one of which I was teased about at work on the day the one died. A whole lot of "You're pretty lively for a dead guy!" :rolleyes: