PDA

View Full Version : I'm Being Discriminated Against Because of GPA

Greenday
04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
My GPA is a 2.511. It's been three tough years so far. I'm doing the opposite of most people. By the end of this year, my junior year, I'll have nothing but easy classes left. I'm having a good semester and I'm expecting mostly B's and A's. Now, I have gripes against other majors because I have to deal with a lot of them bragging about how high their inflated GPAs are. But this one is actually getting to me.

I've been part of my school's chemistry club since my freshman year. I participate more than anyone else. When it comes to fund-raising tables and ticket selling tables, if we counted the hours at the table, I'd probably have more than the rest of the club combined. I know how everything in the club works inside and out. We had our elections for officers for next year and I won the position of treasurer. I'm good with money and they know I can be trusted with lots of cash. This made me really happy. Our current treasurer doesn't even know how to get money out of our account.

I just got an IM from my friend who will be the president next year, asking me what my GPA was. I did a lil LOLing, then asked why. She just simply asked me again and I told her a 2.511. She then informed me she just found out officers (at least for our club) have to have at least a 2.7 GPA. I figured she was just busting my chops, but apparently she's not. She said she'd look into it and see if anyone was actually going to enforce such a thing. If this crap holds true, shit will hit the fan, I kid you not.

Giggle Goose
04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
She then informed me she just found out officers (at least for our club) have to have at least a 2.7 GPA. I figured she was just busting my chops, but apparently she's not. She said she'd look into it and see if anyone was actually going to enforce such a thing. If this crap holds true, shit will hit the fan, I kid you not.

:wtf: I've never heard of such a thing! I knew that there was a certain GPA you have to hold to be in athletics, etc; but 2.7??? That's so arbitrary!

I think you should be able to do whatever the hell you want as long as you're not on academic probation. Not to mention all the money it costs to go to college that you're throwing at them.

So the current treasurer doesn't even know how to do his/her job; but hey, he's superior because he's obviously above 2.7!! :rolleyes:

AdminAssistant
04-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Well, initially I'm wondering why your advisor set up your course schedule that way - but maybe it works differently in sciences (I'm in arts/humanities).

Your president has club rules to enforce. It sucks, yeah. If they let it slide, great for you. But, and this is just the TA/budding professor in me talking, wouldn't you rather spend the last year on your classes boosting your GPA? While it doesn't have the impact that it used to (I'm actually told that some places won't hire people with 4.0's because that apparently indicates poor social skills. :wtf: ) it can have an affect getting jobs and, especially, getting into graduate school.

Why do you feel your classmates have "inflated" GPA's? In most majors everyone has to take the same basic, core classes. Just curious....

:wtf: I've never heard of such a thing! I knew that there was a certain GPA you have to hold to be in athletics, etc; but 2.7??? That's so arbitrary!

Most organizations require some kind of limit for participation and especially elected/officer positions. 2.7 is kind of weird, seeing as it's usually more rounded (2.5 or 3, most commonly). The GPA requirement for athletics is mostly due to the scholarships that those guys are on, and it's usually something ridiculously low, like 1.5 or 2.0. To put that in perspective, for my undergrad scholarship, the highest academic scholarship, which didn't cover as much as the athletic scholarships did, I had to maintain a 3.5, take honors classes, and write a thesis.

Greenday
04-07-2009, 02:14 AM
It's kinda set up so you take a gen. ed. or two each semester, but I had to drop one class then retake it and I'm retaking genetics (got a D+ first time, I'll get a minimum of a B+ this time which will completely replace the D+), so I had to put off a couple gen. eds.

No one in the club knew about the rule until just now. Past few years, we've had some officers who focused more on getting the club going again (it was dead for awhile until my freshman year) and ignored most of the formalities. My friend who will be president is actually checking this stuff out and discovered it.

I'm not too worried about my GPA affecting me after college. I couldn't afford grad school even if I had a good GPA. And most jobs just honestly don't give a crap about GPAs. They just want to see you have a degree.

For my friends in my major, they don't have inflated GPAs. Most of them are around a 3.0 or just below it, except for one friend who is below a 2.5. But in other majors, grades tend to get inflated because those majors need a higher GPA to graduate and the teachers get in trouble if a lot of kids don't get high enough grades, so B's and A's get handed out like candy on Halloween. I know this because my chem teachers informed us all about this. I don't want to rip on other majors on here. We have members on CS who are of the majors I'm specifically talking about, and I don't want to hurt their feelings or take away from what they've accomplished. But I've just gotten sick of people thinking a 2.5 isn't a good GPA when I've been taking high risk classes (classes where a large portion of the class [sometimes over 1/2] will fail the class EVERY semester) since second semester freshman year and other people in other majors might never hear that phrase about their classes.

I mean, I have more experience using instruments than most chem undergrads in the US do. Most colleges don't let undergrads touch the instruments I use on a regular basis unless they are doing research, but still a lot don't even get to do research as an undergrad. I've been specially trained on an instrument that probably costs a little over $1,000,000 and maybe one other college in the US has one for undergrads. People all over from other colleges come to mine to use it and NO undergrads from their colleges use it. But at my college, I'm probably one of the most qualified people to use it, including teachers. The person who runs it has given me the keys at times to the room when he isn't there, knowing I can handle it without anyone holding my hand.

But because I have a 2.511, I MIGHT not be smart enough to handle an officer position of a club. Yea...

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Honey, I'm sorry but your GPA sucks. It's not discrimination. You can change your GPA. Not your gender or if your skin is blue, yellow or purple.

ralerin
04-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Oooooh, my GPA is 3.6, I'm sooo much better than yooooooou! :angel: :rolleyes:

You have my sympathy, chemistry is not an easy major to take. I, myself, an an English/Writing major and also probably suffering from the grade inflation thing but you have a harder major. *offers a plate of cookies* Still, yay for the easy classes!

And I agree. 2.7 is pretty arbitrary. I wonder if it was lower before and if they changed it specifically to exclude a certain group of people somewhere in the past?

BookstoreEscapee
04-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Is this just a rule for that club or is a school rule for all clubs?

Greenday
04-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Honey, I'm sorry but your GPA sucks. It's not discrimination. You can change your GPA. Not your gender or if your skin is blue, yellow or purple.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If I was in high school, the only way I could have gotten a 2.5 GPA was if I tried to get one. I had a 3.8 and I didn't study in high school. If I was in a different major, a 2.5 might suck. But for chemistry, a 2.5 is JUST on the low side of average. In my chem classes, my teachers don't curve. My teachers fail people when they deserve it. Aw, you got a C? Deal with it. I know people in other majors who have bullied teachers into bumping them up full letter grades. I'd be lucky to get a teacher to bump my grade up from say a B to a B+. I've met one person in chemistry whose GPA was above a 3.5. One. After her, I know two people between 3.0 and 3.5. Every other form of chemistry major is below a 3.0.

Is this just a rule for that club or is a school rule for all clubs?

We aren't sure, but we are going to look into it.

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 02:45 AM
But for chemistry, a 2.5 is JUST on the low side of average.

That MAY just be the problem. Now, are you going to do anything about your GPA or are you just going to complain about it? Listen, I know Chem is hard in college. Most my friends are Chem and EE majors. Complaining about it isn't going to change your average.

It's easy to complain about it. How about fixing the problem and saying "FU!" to anyone who bitches about it? I'm sure you're smart, but flaunting the fact you DIDN'T study in highschool and complaining about your college grades isn't really a good idea.

Greenday
04-07-2009, 03:01 AM
That MAY just be the problem. Now, are you going to do anything about your GPA or are you just going to complain about it? Listen, I know Chem is hard in college. Most my friends are Chem and EE majors. Complaining about it isn't going to change your average.

It's easy to complain about it. How about fixing the problem and saying "FU!" to anyone who bitches about it? I'm sure you're smart, but flaunting the fact you DIDN'T study in highschool and complaining about your college grades isn't really a good idea.

I fully admit I slacked off freshman year. First semester I got a 3.0, then the next semester I got a 2.3 lowering my overall GPA. From then on, I studied hard as hell my sophomore year, but that was when I had my hardest classes, which explains why my GPA continued to go down. Last semester, I got an A, B+, B, 2 B-, and a D+ (which will get replaced with at least a B+, maybe an A-). A B- in physical chem. A C in physical chem is considered good. There was one grade in the A range, and maybe five-six other people who were in the B range. The way this semester is going, I should get a B+, A, A-, B-, and a C (though the C is up for debate, as I still have an essay coming up and the final, both of which I plan on doing quite well on, especially the essay). That A- could easily be an A by the end of the semester and the B+ could easily be an A-.

I'm working my ass off. I'm doing well in my hard classes. But when my GPA is what people in my major would call normal and is getting called crap by people outside my major, what other option do I have open to me? My senior year I expect nothing below a B in any of my classes, though most should be between A-'s and A's.

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Wow, that D+ seems to have really fucked you over. What the heck did you get the D in?

Greenday
04-07-2009, 03:18 AM
Wow, that D+ seems to have really fucked you over. What the heck did you get the D in?

Genetics. I hate biology. Just memorizing stuff is boring to me. I like stuff that has application, which is why I do much better in my Chem classes. It's actually quite common at my school for people to have to repeat genetics. It's another one of those classes that more people than not fail.

AdminAssistant
04-07-2009, 03:26 AM
You have my sympathy, chemistry is not an easy major to take. I, myself, an an English/Writing major and also probably suffering from the grade inflation thing but you have a harder major. *offers a plate of cookies* Still, yay for the easy classes!

NO.

No no no no no....HELL no.

Hon, every major has it's own special challenges. I study theatre. My undergraduate degree was in performance. And anybody who tells me I had an 'easy' time will get a very very nasty glare. In my four years, I accumulated something like 140 credit hours, took the usual course of basics, along with intensive courses in acting, directing, dramatic literature, theatre management, and all things technical. And worked on productions. And kept my grades up. I didn't have much of a life outside the department, but oh well.

In my book, all majors are considered equal. You probably write a lot, and probably creative writing. To you, this is easy. To others, writing is a very very difficult task. Trust me, I know, I grade the papers. I can tell who the natural writers are.

I fancy myself an academic, but set an algebra equation in front of me and I will give you nothing but a puzzled look. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

We in the humanities really have to fight, because our work is often seen as less valuable as what goes on in math, science, engineering, and such. So, please, don't say what you do...what we do...is less valuable than something else.

Greenday
04-07-2009, 03:52 AM
That's what I said to my CRJ teacher. I was talking to him about my grade so far in the class and he asked me what my major was since he could tell it wasn't CRJ. I told him what it is and he was like, "Oh, wow, that's some hard stuff." I replied, "It's not hard, it's just a different style of thinking." I believe that applies to many majors. There are still one or two that no matter what, I will think are slightly less difficult in general, but for the most part, it's just different ways of thinking. If I majored in performance like AdminAssistant, I never could have passed it.

But whereas in certain other concentration's classes, if you get it you get an A, if you don't you get a C at worst, in my classes if you get it, you might get a B, but if you don't get it, a D is doubtful. In my major a 2.7-2.8 would be the average, other majors have an average GPA around 3.4-3.5. Just look at the graduation program and see who is graduating with honors and who isn't. I'm just saying, a 2.5 GPA in my major isn't a 2.5 in a different major.

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 04:04 AM
I hate biology.

I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to be a CSI, right?

Kogarashi
04-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Genetics. I hate biology. Just memorizing stuff is boring to me. I like stuff that has application, which is why I do much better in my Chem classes.

I think my husband would disagree about the lack of application in biology. (He's a PhD student in molecular biology right now.)

Greenday
04-07-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to be a CSI, right?

Nope, no, definitely not. I want to be a lab tech. More chemistry, higher pay. As of right now, I'd be able to test for drugs, alcohol, gunshot residue, fingerprints, and if necessary, DNA comparisons. My hair analysis needs a lot of refining. DNA comparisons really isn't as hard as it might seem.

I think my husband would disagree about the lack of application in biology. (He's a PhD student in molecular biology right now.)

Mmm, fair enough. Most of my bio classes have been nothing but memorization, and the labs are minimal hands-on work, with just observing things. Chem lectures involve a lot more problem solving and calculations, and labs involve constant hands-on work.

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Nope, no, definitely not. I want to be a lab tech. More chemistry, higher pay. As of right now, I'd be able to test for drugs, alcohol, gunshot residue, fingerprints, and if necessary, DNA comparisons. My hair analysis needs a lot of refining. DNA comparisons really isn't as hard as it might seem.

Bio is very important in the Lab Tech field. But I'm going to shut up now. There's no way I can win this one.

*takes her marbles and leaves*

Kogarashi
04-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Mmm, fair enough. Most of my bio classes have been nothing but memorization, and the labs are minimal hands-on work, with just observing things. Chem lectures involve a lot more problem solving and calculations, and labs involve constant hands-on work.

::nod:: Most likely different forms of application. I don't know much beyond that, though, because I was an English major. I dislike all sciences, and biology was by far my least favorite. (What's that they say about opposites attracting?)

JuniorMintz
04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
So just out of curiosity Evil Queen, what was your major?

One-Fang
04-07-2009, 06:15 AM
I have agree with EQ that it's not discrimination. In a purely literal sense, I suppose it is, as much as 'discriminating against' people who fail courses by not giving them a passing grade is, anyway.

But we usually use "discrimination" to refer to treating an individual (or group) differently based solely on those factors about that individual over which they have zero control. Skin colour, gender, orientation. Discrimination of those factors over which we do have control is rampant and common, and how many things are just done - people who fail a class don't get the credit for it, people who can't drive don't get a licence, there are entry limitations on university entrance, there are entry limitations on scholarships, jobs require you to have a minimum of 3 years of experience ... and so on.

Sucks that you're caught in the middle and I think some kind of grandfathering ought to go on if this was not enforced when you applied for, and received, the position. But it's not "discrimination" and it's kind of offensive to those who do get discriminated against to say it is.

Greenday
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
It's easily discrimination against my major. There are other majors that if I put in as much effort as I am now, I'd have a GPA AT LEAST a point higher. A 2.7 might make sense for those who take classes with grade inflation, but when you take all classes where half the class fails and the curve is non-existent, there's no reason why they should have the same standard.

AdminAssistant
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM

So....you want to be Abby? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Sciuto

Cause I think you'd look cute in pigtails. :p

I hate curving grades. 1) It discourages anyone from trying to really excel, because they don't want to set the curve. 2) It causes retaliation against the good students from the not-as-good students. I nearly got beat up a few times for making a 100 on tests, and the teacher announcing "well, there can't be a curve now". And yet, my students expect them. And I laugh and laugh and laugh. (I recently had a student who wanted to rewrite his paper. When I told him 'no', he said I wasn't giving him a chance to succeed. *sigh*)

Greenday
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
So....you want to be Abby? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Sciuto

Cause I think you'd look cute in pigtails. :p

Pretty much, except in real labs, you stick to one concentration, not everything. One group does blood alcohol, one group analyzes drugs, one group for DNA, etc. etc. So there really aren't many jack of all trades like in the TV shows.

And now that my hair is getting longer, maybe I'll give pigtails a shot.

SengaKitty
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
All I can put in here is Genetics is REALLLY hard. My highschool in Israel (mind you their high schools are like junior colleges here) was a Biotech/communications focused school, and I majored in Biology, with a focus on microbiology and genetics. I'll also say biology and genetics have a lot of hands on application in certain labs, like the infectious disease labs (Did a mini-thesis in one of them). Also, I despise chemistry, and find it to be very difficult, so you are a braver person than I in that aspect.

One-Fang
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll allow that choosing the level may have a negative effect on certain majors (although this "I work harder than any of you folks" is getting REAL old, real quick, I'd stop dissing other people's hard work and commitment if I were you).

But applying the level, once set, is not discrimination. Make a public move in the club to lower it, then. Quick, before you have to apply for the job again next round. :)

RootedPhoenix
04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Make a public move in the club to lower it, then. Quick, before you have to apply for the job again next round. :)

This.

If the rule is as unuseful as you say, and you can get enough of the others to agree, then it won't be there, and you won't have to worry about it. Judging from what you've said about them, your GPA is not a very good indicator of your equipment skills. So see if you can't get that rule changed. It might help someone else out later too, if you can do it. :)

And I'd have to agree with AdminAssistant. Majors are equal in workload. Different majors just produce different stuff, so it only looks easier or harder. Don't bash on other people's work. :(

....and I'll stop before I enter fratching territory, though I'll be starting a thread there on this.

Evil Queen
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
So just out of curiosity Evil Queen, what was your major?

I'm majoring in Business. This way I can have the education to open my hotel.

Bandit
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm majoring in Business. This way I can have the education to open my hotel.

The 30-second business course.

Look at GM, Chrysler, AIG, CitiGroup, and Blockbuster.

Don't do what they did.

Fin.

:p

B

Kiwi
04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
My university banned grade curves. The professors always made that as plain as can be at the start of each semester. If your paper deserves and A you get one, if your paper deserves a B you get one.

I always thought grade curves were the most idiotic grading system.

Good luck with the whole being pres Greenday, surely they will over turn a stupid rule!

malmalthekiller
04-07-2009, 11:38 PM

I sort of agree.

I'm not going to say that I'm better than you because my grades were better, but my major wasn't science or math, and I didn't go to an amazing school.

I was a communications major, and I never got below a 3.5 and graduated with honors. My brain isn't hardwired for sciences or math.

But it is school, and you can get your grades up.

Evil Queen
04-08-2009, 03:35 AM
The 30-second business course.

Look at GM, Chrysler, AIG, CitiGroup, and Blockbuster.

Don't do what they did.

Fin.

:p

B

*takes notes*

DON'T do what they did. Gotcha. :lol:

Broomjockey
04-08-2009, 03:36 AM
*scribbles on EQ's notes**takes notes*

DON'T do what they did. Gotcha. :lol:

Evil Queen
04-08-2009, 03:37 AM
*scribbles on EQ's notes*

:eek: You're a big meanie!

*fixes her notes and draws flowers on Broom's face*

RootedPhoenix
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
*fixes her notes and draws flowers on Broom's face*

:roll::roll:

I love you people.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
*tosses EQ a permanent Sharpie for...her notes.

Broomjockey
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
*tosses EQ a permanent Sharpie for...her notes.

Yeah. Right. I believe you.

I'm no longer happy to see you, Irv. *glare*

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey! You're the one who started this! Let the poor girl study in peace!

Besides, I've spent a lot of time in the dungeon. You don't want to go there. It's dark and damp and smells like old socks.

Broomjockey
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey! You're the one who started this! Let the poor girl study in peace!

EQ? A poor girl? Are you sure we're talking about the same person?

Jester
04-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I am not going to say my major (broadcasting) was hard. Because for me, it wasn't.

That being said, I was often amused by my dormmates who were majoring in engineering or architecture who classified my major as "easy." When they did that, I offered them an opportunity to come on down to the radio station and edit a 30 minute interview down to 5 minutes, make it flow, and have it make sense, without any bad edits. Most declined. I also offered them a chance to be ON the radio station, or in front of a camera. You know, public speaking. And this was the point where the vast majority of them told me to stuff it and walked off in a huff, complaining about people with easy majors being assholes.

Most people are scared to death of public speaking. Especially engineering majors. :lol:

*Before any engineering majors get up in my face, the above comment was in reference simply to my experience with my dormmates at my college, and was made to make the point that what is easy to one may not be easy to another. I am sure there are engineers who are exceptional public speakers, but please, save us both some heartache. Put down the keyboard and slowly back away.

Giggle Goose
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I
Most people are scared to death of public speaking. Especially engineering majors. :lol:

That is exactly why I don't feel bad when people knock my major, because most of it involves public speaking. :)

It did bother me that there were people in the major that didn't like doing presenting. :headscratch: