PDA

View Full Version : I'm changing body washes ><!!!!

Sarlon
04-09-2009, 04:21 AM
So I decieded to take on a small project....refinishing the top of my gaming table and replacing it with something thats no longer warped, split and has gaping holes in it.

So I find this REALLY nice piece of pine plywood, and deciede to paint it.

well, genious me forgot to get some form of paint thinner.

so here I am with paint ALL over my hands...and only soap and water to take it off...and I have a party on saturday.

So I go online....and use my googlefoo(c) and find a few solutions...one of which I actually have on hand...

I think why not? can't hurt right?

its not as effective as paint thinner, but took ALL the paint off my hands with almost no effort!!

Whats this miracle product that is just laying about the house you ask?

My body wash with Tea Tree Oil in it!!! The same stuff I use to help with my skin problems!!!!!!

Effectively immediately I'm switching body washes.

(ps- pictures of completed, and painted table will be up once I get it finished)

ArcticChicken
04-09-2009, 04:52 AM
I'll take that off your hands, I love the way tea tree oil smells.

That reminds me of one time when my sister got lice, Mom had heard that tea tree oil was a good way to kill them. So, she put pure tea tree oil on Sis' head.

I think she spent two hours in the shower trying to make the burn stop.

Your project reminds me that I want to make a map for space combat. My instinct is always to try and dodge above or below the other ships, and I can't do that on a 2D map. I know some people use poker chips underneath the minis to represent the different levels, but that's just not enough for me.

My current plan is clear plastic stackable trays, with squares printed on.

fireheart
04-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Tea-tree oil is very strong if you use it on its own. Just a note for the forumers: if you're going to use ANY essential oils for any reason on your skin, use a carrier oil, such as jojoba or something similar. Otherwise it burns the skin.
I'm planning on making my own perfume with this stuff.

And hehe, I remember lice too! Ever so fun!

Plaidman
04-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Sarlon: You best be posting pics soon. Me wanna see. I've been thinking of making my own gaming table. Hmm...

Anyway, why change body washs over that? Obviouslly it works well. It makes your skin your natural skin.

Sarlon
04-09-2009, 06:36 AM
pics will be posted once the paint finishes drying...and its not really fancy table wise...its a 3/4 inch plywood top measuring 4 feet by 7 1/2 feet, and slightly shorter then a standard kitchen table.

and remember kids....if you do not want to see pink dancing elephants in your living room remember to OPEN WINDOWS and move air while painting!

Plaidman
04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
and remember kids....if you do not want to see pink dancing elephants in your living room remember to OPEN WINDOWS and move air while painting!

You did the pink the pink elephant
Blinded by the sauce you know
I'd rather stay bent...

Gah. I'll stop with the obscure songs.

artifical sweetner
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
love tea tree oil! i use it alone though :p (it is strong)

AccountingDrone
04-09-2009, 03:57 PM
You did the pink the pink elephant
Blinded by the sauce you know
I'd rather stay bent...

Gah. I'll stop with the obscure songs.

Wow, the only other person besides my husband who listens to Cherry Poppin Daddies!:wave:

KiaKat
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Turns out I'm allergic to my tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. This bothers me, because with the eczema, I can't use normal scalp-treatment shampoos, and the tea tree oil was saving me...or so I thought.

Ugh. No clue what I'm going to do now.

*wanders off-course, dragging thread behind her*

ArcticChicken
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Ugh. No clue what I'm going to do now.

Do you have a Whole Foods or similar in your area? Go there and look through the shampoo section, you're bound to find something, or at least pick up some ideas.

KiaKat
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I've tried most of the organic brands, at this point. It's definitely the tea tree oil that's causing it.

And there isn't a scalp-treatment shampoo out there that doesn't have tea tree oil.

Because of the eczema, I have to avoid anything with parrafin, Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate, or grapeseed oil. It's incredibly frustrating.

So far, the only option that's popped up is a prescription shampoo with coal tar in it, but the cost is prohibitive without prescription coverage, which I don't have, and really don't need, except for this shampoo.

Broomjockey
04-09-2009, 07:27 PM
So far, the only option that's popped up is a prescription shampoo with coal tar in it, but the cost is prohibitive without prescription coverage, which I don't have, and really don't need, except for this shampoo.

Coal tar? Tried Neutrogenia T-Gel? I know it's used for some skin conditions. Might be helpful. Here's the ingredient list:
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Laureth-4, Fragrance, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA.

KiaKat
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Yup. That's the problem. It sets off the skin issues.

Yes, I get the irony. It never fails to amuse me.

I actually used that in adolescence, until the eczema on my arms got to be so bad that they took me off all commercial soaps and put me on prescriptions. Which rapidly went WAY over my prescription allowance. That's when the organics became my friends.

However, if this continues, I might have to have my diagnosis changed to multiple chemical sensitivities with autoimmune reactions, which would just be SO MUCH FUN!

Broomjockey
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Yup. That's the problem. It sets off the skin issues.

Ah, sorry. Though that's why I searched for the ingredients, in case there was something. Good thing I did =\

artifical sweetner
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
wow yea it really sucks to be allergic to one of the main ingredients in so many products, even organic.

what about calling a dermatologist or hair stylist for suggestions?

KiaKat
04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
The derm wants to put me back on the prescription stuff...which would destroy my savings. And I need my savings. Wanna buy a house in the next few years. And Other Half and I would like to start thinking about kids in the near future. So yeah. Savings are good. And I need to change derms, because this one doesn't really know what to do with me. Which is too bad...I really like her, and she solved a bunch of other problems I was having, like acne. How I have acne *and* eczema has never really been explained to me.

The stylists all have specific products they push. And most of them have *no clue* about skin allergies and chemical sensitivities. Unfortunately. I even have to bring my own shampoo to my stylist when I go, because she doesn't understand that I simply *cannot* use certain products. But I go to her because she has the only colour products that don't set off all the skin stuff. No clue what they are, but the colours come from a Crayola box!

Der Cute
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
What about Dr. Bronner's ? The extra mild soap stuff? The bottle with all the little scribbles all over it... http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

Have you tried this?

cutenoob

lupo pazzesco
04-09-2009, 11:39 PM
The stylists all have specific products they push. And most of them have *no clue* about skin allergies and chemical sensitivities. Unfortunately. I even have to bring my own shampoo to my stylist when I go, because she doesn't understand that I simply *cannot* use certain products.

I don't know if you've ever encountered Lush cosmetics, but they're actually pretty wonderful. Slightly pricier, but nowhere near as expensive as prescriptions and they last for a LONG time.

LUSHUsa (http://www.lushusa.com/shop)

I like them because I have pretty sensitive skin and scalp, too. (Family history of eczema and psoriasis)

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Emrld
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I know that some companies are trying to help people in the current economy. See if the Dr can get you samples, or cupons. Or even try the company direct see if they might work with you.

As for Tea Tree oil - be careful with it. And I am talking the little bottle of oil not products that call themselves things like Tea Tree Oil Soap.
I use it as part of my house cleaning. I make my own cleaners for a lot of things. Tea Tree has wonderful properties for a safe and clean home.

KiaKat
04-10-2009, 01:05 AM
I don't know if you've ever encountered Lush cosmetics, but they're actually pretty wonderful. Slightly pricier, but nowhere near as expensive as prescriptions and they last for a LONG time.

LUSHUsa (http://www.lushusa.com/shop)

I like them because I have pretty sensitive skin and scalp, too. (Family history of eczema and psoriasis)

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Unfortunately, has SLS, and perfumes. And the ones that don't have SLS use nut oils for moisturizers, which I'm allergic to...although there's one that might be a possibility...I'll have to hit my local store and talk to them about it.

I've been doing a bunch of research on this, I might have a couple options, but I'll know more when I hear back from the companies. I didn't think to ask them for samples, though. Maybe I will when I talk to them next. I hate the idea of buying an entire bottle just so it will sit on my shelf and wait for the next person to visit.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm open to anything...as long as it fits within my sensitivities...and isn't $60 a bottle...and, well, yeah. You get the idea :lol: