PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Haters

DrFaroohk
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Why does everyone seem to hate wal-mart these days?

I recall some of the complaints i've heard over the years...one is that they don't pay their employees very well. As a loser who can't hold down a job for more than a few months, and thus have had a lot of jobs, I can definitely disprove that one. They paid me 8 an hour when I worked there, which is just about what EVERYONE was paying at the time.

Another is that they wipe out local businesses. ok, ever heard of being COMPETITIVE? Maybe if you didn't charge 19.99 for a 3 pack of bic pens, I might shop at your store instead of wal-mart. Fuck you.

Also, most of these wal-mart haters seem to have no problem shopping at a similar store like Target or K-Mart, which from what I can tell is the same exact store.

I personally love wal-mart. I have a 6 month old baby, and pretty much all of their baby products are half what they'd cost at a local grocery store. I can buy stuff in bulk and make less trips out, and it's just great. Wal-Mart rules!

draggar
04-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I hate my local Walmarts. The stors are filthy, usually smelling like urine. The extrmely few people working there (if you can find them) are not helpful and are more interested in either talking on their cell phones or avioding customers.

The people who shop there are also extremely rude, impersonal, and would rather ram you with their shopping cart than say "excuse me".

The cashiers will wait and send a few text messages before even starting to ring up your orders.

This isn't just one Walmart, it's several in my area (Ft Lauderdale but also including West Palm Beach area).

My local Targets are not like this at all. They are clean, I can usually find someone to help me, and I'm not playing carriage dodge the entire time.

Yes, prices are cheap and that's what most people care about now but then they turn aount and complain about customer service - which I think is extremely hypocritical. I'd rather shop for a TV or a computer at a Ma&a store. Sure, I may pay more but I know I'll get good service.

Dreamstalker
04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
All the Wal-Marts I've ever set foot in are consistently trashed and filthy. Yes, Target's prices are a bit higher, but the stores are cleaner and merchandise is typically better quality (also, if I need help I can always find it).

WM does screw suppliers/vendors, they do this because they know they can. There have been a couple books written exposing this.

My dad once worked for a company creating specialized retail software, which required specialized training and scanners to use properly. WM turned around and tried to take all the credit for this software, and said that his company couldn't come in to do the training ("we can do this ourselves"...no you can't). They didn't get the code.

DrFaroohk
04-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Well most of that stuff can be said about any place....a lot of mom and pop businesses are the nastiest things I've ever seen. Especially small, privately owned C-Stores, my god when you go in and the cashier gives you this dirty look like "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BOTHERING ME!?!?!?!?!"

I've seen crappy wal-marts but I've seen really nice looking wal-marts too, fully stocked and staffed with friendly, helpful people etc....

draggar
04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Well most of that stuff can be said about any place....a lot of mom and pop businesses are the nastiest things I've ever seen. Especially small, privately owned C-Stores, my god when you go in and the cashier gives you this dirty look like "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BOTHERING ME!?!?!?!?!"

I've seen crappy wal-marts but I've seen really nice looking wal-marts too, fully stocked and staffed with friendly, helpful people etc....

I fully agree and I wouldn't shop there unless I had no other choice.

I look at mass-chain stores as a double-edged sword.

While they do provide convenience of being able to get several errands one in one place and generally cheaper (yes, I did choose that specific word) - the average employee there is sub-par and is generally paid far less than what someone would be at a Ma&Pa store.

You're sacrificing customer service for lower prices.

You're sacrificing stable jobs with convenience.

IMO this is also one of the causes of our current economic situation. We're spending more (by being capable of buying more at these locations) while far less money is going into the hands of the people who work for these companies (at the customer-facing level). The higher ups then pat themselves on the back for raising revenue, give themselves a big fat bonus while crushing the most important part of the American economy - small businesses.

AdminAssistant
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm from Arkansas. I hate Wal-Mart. I hate their business practices. I hate their corporate greed. And I hate the fact that the few counties where their executives live are extremely affluent while the rest of the state is in extreme poverty. It pisses me off.

Yeah. F*ck Wal-Mart and F*ck the Walton family.

I shop at Target. There's a Super-Target here, and I've been getting most of my groceries there as well...a good many items are cheaper there than at Dillon's. The Wal-Mart here is gross, the cashiers are rude, etc. Target - clean, polite, friendly... Yup.

Lil Bunny
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
We use Wal-Mart but only the newer stores for general supplies. Even then I make sure Hubby is with me because I literally break into hives.

I'd much rather go to Bakers/Kroger or No Frills though. People just seem nicer and less growly. And the coupons/discounts are better 9 times out of 10. And um, not to make this controversial but they aren't exactly pro-union. Working for a union you can see my conundrum.

calulu
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I refuse to shop at Wal Mart, they pay their staff crappy wages (yeah, 8 dollars an hour is slave wages..), treat them poorly, fire staff for ridiculous reasons and have been known to short people wages, refuse to pay overtime yet require it and sue their employees if they use the Wal mart medical insurance and get a big payout from someone's private insurance. Remember Wal Mart Sues Brain Damaged Woman (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/index.html)? Many Wal Mart employees qualify for food stamps.

They advertise that they promote America and American jobs and most of their crap is made in Chinese sweat shops where the workers are paid pittances and put in dangerous working conditions.

They'd been fined by the Dept of Labor and the INS for hiring undocumented workers and LOCKING them into their stores at night to restock, resulting in deaths when one of those stores caught on fire.

They've been proven time and time again to come into a small community, kill off all the small stores and then raise their prices.

None of this takes into account the fact that the stores are usually filthy, the employees ill trained and uncaring and there are never enough damn registers open.

In our town Wal Mart has managed to squash the news that three rapes occurred in their parking lot last summer and a few weeks ago a gang related shooting sent six people to the hospital.

Wal Mart is the summation of all that is meretricious and awful about America!

SG15Z
04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Well I hate my local ones. I've been to one or two ok stores out of the like 30+ I've been to. They're usually filthy (especially the bathrooms) some look pretty run down. All the local ones have been at skeleton staff levels for years now. They're customer service is horrendous. And god forbid they have to call a manager! Seriously their managers take freaking FOREVER to respond to a call.

And everytime I go in after 9pm the lines a SUPER long, usually 5+ carts deep at all lanes. Then at around 10 you can't park anywhere because their are baskets EVERYWHERE!!! And no one is out their grabbing them. Seriously I rarely ever have a good experience at wal mart. In fact I can't remember the last time I went in to grab one item and it didn't me near 15 minutes just to check out (no really I timed it once).

And let's not forget that Wal Mart is like an SC magnet. I've seen more rude, snoby, and impatient customers then anywhereelse. So I like to avoid having to post in the sightings section.

So Target, HEB are my friends. :yes: Kroger too I guess.....sometimes. And of course mom&pop stores.

Ringtail Z28
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
My hatred for Wal-Mart comes from my experience from working there. I was frequently working twelve or more hours a day with no breaks and cheated out of overtime pay. And there was the usual being treated like garbage by management. I blame my lack of experience at the time for putting up with that shit.

blas
04-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart's prices or their employees.....for the most part.

I just hate the general clinetel of most Wal-Marts. I used to call my biweekly venture to Wal-Mart "mullet hunt day"

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I avoid Wally World whenever I can. In my city there's just my store and Wally World and Kohls for shopping. If Target ever decides to build a store here (crosses fingers), Wally World will be completely dead to me and I will be gunning for a job at Target.

A lot of people go out of their way to avoid shopping at Wally World, including a lot of elderly people because the store is so big. That's good and bad for my store.

The fact that I have relatives and good former co-workers working there is the only thing keeping me from saying what I really think of that place. But here's what I will say: The clientele tend to be the absolute lowest common denominator, mullets, stained and ripped old t-shirts, BO and teeth missing. Many of the employees look like total freaks who'd never fit in at my store, and the parking lot is a pothole-filled expanse where El Caminos, ghetto cruisers and fume-belching diesel pickups battle to the death for supremacy, as if that's something to be proud of.

When the store was being remodeled into a supercenter, they told me it would be the biggest supercenter in the state when finished. I though of that as bragging that you have the world's biggest outbreak of crotch lice.

McGoddess09
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
We had one built about 10 min from my house.

This one is actually really nice. It's very clean,well stocked, and the employees are very friendly.

The one we used to go to in the town to the north,in WI, is the stereotypical dirty and unfriendly Walmart.

I always go to the newer one. I never really liked WM until this one.

BookstoreEscapee
04-12-2009, 01:51 AM
I have one practically across the street but the few times I've been there I have not been particularly impressed. Many of the aisles were not well-stocked, and/or they were messy and disorganized. The layout is also kind of confusing. In my experience the Target is a much more pleasant place to shop and I usually don't have much problem finding what I need; to me it's worth the extra 10-15 minutes or so of driving. There is a newer WM in the town my parents live in, which was not much better the couple times I went there (and even when I lived with my parents I didn't get down that way too often, anyway). I don't have much of a political stance one way or the other; my parents have a Sam's membership and I do go with them to stock up on certain items (though living in an apartment, I don't have much space for storing extras of stuff so buying most things in bulk doesn't really work for me).

XCashier
04-12-2009, 02:26 AM
The WMs in the Phoenix area were all pretty nasty; dirty, disorganized and less-than-safe. I remember some stories of people getting shot at the 19th Avenue WM. :(

The ones here in Eugene/Springfield are a lot cleaner and better organized, and both customers and employees seem a lot nicer. Whether that's a statement of the individual stores or the cities in which they're located, I can't say.

However, one thing that irks me is when they do their WalMart Cheer. You can see the "oh no, not again" in the employees' eyes. I cringe seeing the overenthusiastic managers leading them into yet another humiliating silly cheer in front of smirking customers.

As desperate as I am to find a job, I really don't think I would consider WM for that very reason. You want me to be loyal to the job? Treat me with respect and common courtesy, adult to adult. Don't condescend me by acting like a combination Kindergarten teacher / dog trainer and coerce me into playing silly parlor games in front of the customers!!! :soapbox:

Dawnchaser
04-12-2009, 03:55 AM
The ones here in Eugene/Springfield are a lot cleaner and better organized, and both customers and employees seem a lot nicer. Whether that's a statement of the individual stores or the cities in which they're located, I can't say.

Never had a problem with the employees but I must be going at different times than you because I'm NOT impressed with 90% of the customers. Seems like I deal with a lot more rude people there than anywhere else except for Winco...which is truly from the pits of hell in my opinion. Now the employees there were always horrible to me, at least 9 years ago or so. Haven't been back recently.

50 mission cap
04-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Walmart severely understaffs, but then again so do some other large chain stores.

Good prices but terrible service.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-12-2009, 04:40 AM
However, one thing that irks me is when they do their WalMart Cheer. You can see the "oh no, not again" in the employees' eyes. I cringe seeing the overenthusiastic managers leading them into yet another humiliating silly cheer in front of smirking customers.

As desperate as I am to find a job, I really don't think I would consider WM for that very reason. You want me to be loyal to the job? Treat me with respect and common courtesy, adult to adult. Don't condescend me by acting like a combination Kindergarten teacher / dog trainer and coerce me into playing silly parlor games in front of the customers!!! :soapbox:

When I was searching for a job in high school, which led to my current job, I applied at Wally World and got a mini-interview.

A few days later I was in there to pick up something and got to witness the fabled Wal-Mart cheer. Complete with squiggle wiggles.:eek:

I'm sorry, I do not shake my ass in public like that unless I am completely shitfaced and/or having dollar bills stuffed in my undies by comely ladies. Right then and there I resolved to myself "If they call me back, I'm telling them I got hired someplace else."

They never did call me back. I guess I looked too normal to fit in.

Mr Slugger
04-12-2009, 04:53 AM
I don't mention it much, but I worked for walmart for a brief bit between leaving one store and going to another store. It was a 4 month thing, but it was long enough for me to learn how walmart is. This was a store that was opening. My first day there they told us a truck was at the dock and we had 2 hours to unload it. If we didn't get it done the manager had applications for kmart because they were hiring. Most of the people they had were just unable to unload a truck. I'm talking people hired to be greater because of disabilities, etc. They were trying to force people to work 7 days a week, work through lunch breaks, etc. The manager would say horrible things to other managers about employees right in front of them. Told a 8 month pregnant lady that she had to work a 14 hour shift or they'd replace her, and seeing she couldn't survive on unemployment pay she did it. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen. While I do know some really good walmarts my experience with them really made me want to avoid them whenever possible.

Plus like others said. Around here they're all dirty, half stocked, no employees, etc. I was happy when the target opened near my house because I do all my shopping there now.

Mr Slugger
04-12-2009, 05:00 AM
When I was searching for a job in high school, which led to my current job, I applied at Wally World and got a mini-interview.

A few days later I was in there to pick up something and got to witness the fabled Wal-Mart cheer. Complete with squiggle wiggles.:eek:

I'm sorry, I do not shake my ass in public like that unless I am completely shitfaced and/or having dollar bills stuffed in my undies by comely ladies.

As far as this I saw this my first day there. Let me tell you I never did any of it. No one really noticed until after the store opened and the meetings became smaller. The manager tried calling me out in a store meeting by saying. If you're getting paid by walmart then you need to do the cheer.

I made sure to mention this conversation he made the next time the higher ups were in and basically said a cheer should be something you feel like doing and when you've got a manager talking crap about the employees (along with some examples I had) it's kinda hard to cheer for a store that makes you know you're all disposable and you mean nothing to them.

He never bothered me again after that.

Amethyst Hunter
04-12-2009, 05:03 AM
I have mixed feelings about Mall-Wart (as you can tell by my purposeful bastardizing of their name, heh).

On the one hand, I kinda have to shop there because hey, that's all I can afford. Not that I never patronize any other store but when it comes down to the wire, it's Wal-Mart. Beggars can't really be choosers, as they say. I've been in nice Wal-Marts, and I've been to ones where it's White Trash. Always. (the one in my former hometown is a perfect example of this)

Would I work there? HELL NO. I've heard the horror stories. I value what's left of my sanity.

I do love Targets, though I don't get to go there nearly as often. Without exception**, they are clean and offer a lot of great stuff that you can't get at Wally World.

** = YMMV, of course

Giggle Goose
04-12-2009, 05:26 AM
There's a new Supercenter on my way home from work, and since it's so cheap I do about a month's worth of shopping there. I try to go at an "off" time to avoid all the trash (customers and employees alike), but every time I go, there's NEVER enough registers open. I understand that this might happen occasionally; like people calling in sick or something, but if it happens consistently it's a problem. I only go there if I have a really big shopping trip to do, because I honestly spend about half of what I would at another place; and that's not an exaggeration. That's the only good thing about it.

One thing that gets me is how morally upright they portray themselves to be when they do all this aforementioned crappy stuff behind the scenes. Like the commericials that talk about how much they care about their communities and donate to charity and crap. I used to work with a young man at another big chain department store who is disabled, after Wal Mart didn't even give him a second look after he applied. I know damn well that place was hiring at the time. But that's all I'll say because I'm risking the Fratch boot here.

XCashier makes a good point about location, though. I went to the Wal Mart in my college town and loved it, especially since I was pathetically poor back then! It was in a semi rural area where jobs were pretty sparse, so people took pride in their work. Wal Mart was one of the biggest employers, actually; and that store was always spotless and stocked. I also saw the most of the same friendly employees every time, instead of the revolving door of scumbuckets I see in my current, and much more urbanized location. So that's why I try to get my shopping done as quick as possible in that place, and god forbid if I ever have trouble finding something because I'm too scared to approach someone after getting snapped at several times.

Becks
04-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm sorry, I do not shake my ass in public like that unless I am completely shitfaced and/or having dollar bills stuffed in my undies by comely ladies.

I have a couple singles and some fives... :eyewaggle:

Ree
04-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Just a reminder that we do have members who work at Wal-Mart and don't feel the same hatred for the company as some of our members.

It puts food on their table and helps them pay their bills.

Please keep that in mind before posting.

As with any company, I'm sure there are just as many good stores as bad, but it's the bad that gets the most attention.

smileyeagle1021
04-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I know why I don't shop at wal-mart... it has little to do with politics or how they treat their workers.
It's about price and convenience. About the only shopping I do is for groceries, which I can get for cheaper through Reams than I can from Wal-Mart and Reams is much easier and more convenient for me to get to than Wal-Mart. If I'm buying pet supplies I can get a better price at petsco and I can get in and out quicker, if I'm buying clothes I go to the thrift store (cheaper, more convenient, and it feeds starving people in some country I can't pronounce the name of :p ), for electronics it's best buy, not really a better price, but much more convenient for me to get to, and for everything else, K-Mart is comparable in price and is much easier for me to get to and from.
Yeah, I know most of the places I shop can have the same complaints as what people make against wal-mart (underpaid employees, selling foreign goods, not always the best customer service, etc)... and yeah, that kinda bothers me, but let's be honest... those are only things that support my reasons for not shopping at wal-mart... they aren't the reason I don't shop there.

SG15Z
04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Just a reminder that we do have members who work at Wal-Mart and don't feel the same hatred for the company as some of our members.

It puts food on their table and helps them pay their bills.

Please keep that in mind before posting.

As with any company, I'm sure there are just as many good stores as bad, but it's the bad that gets the most attention.

I did Ree. And so far (in my area and a couple of small town stores across the state at least) the bad way out number the good. I've been to more Wal Marts than I can count, and only 2 maybe 3 were good.

And to those saying location probably is a factor. Yeah maybe, but I've run into some really bad small town stores and one really nice urban store. So really who knows. All I know is the 5 stores near my house all suck and I don't feel like driving the 30 mins to the somewhat-tolerable one up the highway.

Gravekeeper
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
The inherent problem is they really are the shining example of what unbridled corporate greed gets you. Having one dropped in your town is basically like an economic bomb going off to every other small business there.

The prices are low, yes. But they're low because A) They can afford it. All they need to do is wait till it drives competition out of business and B) Once there is no competition, they can begin squeezing producers who are now left with no one else to sell their product too so they have to sell it for dirt cheap to Wal-mart. Who in turn passes these..savings...on to you.

On top of that, most of them seem to pay the employees dirt and under staff their store at all times and viola, $$$.

Eventually you're left with no competitors to shop at ( Unless another corporate chain is present ) and no where else to get a job. So you end up going there anyway.

Sadly, good Walmarts are the minority. I've honestly never seen a good one. =/

If I must go to a big boxer, I perfer Sears. They're always incredibly helpful staff wise and they have more than 2 people manning the 16 registers in a 3 floor superstore at 5pm.

Zellers on the other hand....I've never seen a Zellers store that didn't look like someone had pitched a grenade in it earlier that morning. You can never find a soul in Zellers except for the poor cashiers.

Aethian
04-13-2009, 12:27 AM
We had one built about 10 min from my house.

This one is actually really nice. It's very clean,well stocked, and the employees are very friendly.

The one we used to go to in the town to the north,in WI, is the stereotypical dirty and unfriendly Walmart.

I always go to the newer one. I never really liked WM until this one.

Same here...we have a newer one here that is bright, fully stocked, and plenty of people. And yet thirty minuets away is the original and it's dark, less people, and sometimes the items are so jumbled on the shelves that one never knows what they are going to find.

That and when I do grocery shopping at the new super I can get everything I need, the dogs/cats need...for the same I was paying just in food for me for two weeks at another grocery store here. I sometimes feel bad for doing it but my penny only goes so many ways.

JLG
04-13-2009, 01:07 AM
I try to avoid Wal-Mart because I can't stand the design of the stores. Just to much stock jam packed into every aisle. For me it is not a comfortable place to shop. When I go to Target it is so much easier to push my cart and not worry about other people running me down.

PepperElf
04-13-2009, 01:22 AM
I don't specifically hate walmart but I do have a couple of issues...

1) Driving out other companies.
Some might call it competition, but it's not always good to have one company driving out all the others.

Where I live we thankfully already had Wegmans so Walmart isn't as strong as they are in other areas. And frankly, even if Walmart ends up cheaper, I find Wegmans has an overall better shopping experience. Plus the Wegmans I go to is just down the road from Target so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

2) Lines.
Whenever I go to Walmart the lines are insane. Granted I understand they can't afford to run the 50 lines they have... but yikes. That is one of the factors I consider when shopping.

The last time I was at Walmart the cashier tried to apologize for the insanely long wait. I don't think she realized... I wasn't mad or complaining - besides it's not her fault. Next time I go, however I'm bringing a book to read.

3) Employee Rights
This one... is based in fact... back before Walmart went 247, they would lock the employees in at night. Then they'd drill into them over and over that "if you use the emergency exit you WILL be fired".

From what I read it sounded pretty much like they were intimidating employees to NOT use that exit, even if they were injured. ... that way of course, if it came to a lawsuit, they could just say, "I don't know why he didn't use the emergency exit" etc.

From what I've read though, the law started leaning against Walmart in those cases... I'm not sure if they changed the policy however... I just know they're 247 now so it's kinda moot.

4) And on a personal side of things, Wegmans & Target are closer. And frankly they're cleaner too.
Actually being clean is a big thing for me. There's another Wegmans closer to me but... it's a bit more run down, not bad but a tad less clean than the one I go to... so I only go to the close one if I'm getting a single item, or if I'm in a big hurry.

BethB
04-13-2009, 04:36 AM
As an employee of the Giant smiley face I'd say it's the best paying job I've had so far in my work experience(except the military but I felt more like a dressed up monkey drone) at nearly $11/hr. the only problems I've had are/were with power-tripping management. contradicting themselves and each other, no communication, and when you ask for assistance or need to let them know things they talk down to you like a child who kept saying "mom, mom, mom..." over and over again. Every wally is different and many have had bad experiences. Most of mine have come from K-Mart and Target.

jnd4rusty
04-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Personaly I love to shop at Wal-Mart, in fact it is the only place I normally shop at for my groceries. They price match the other supermarkets here and I have the layout and most prices memorized. I avoid it like the plague on weekends!!!! I usually go there late at night and it is not bad. Ours is pretty clean but it is the only Wally's in a 50 mile radius. The nearest one is in Spearfish. The dominating supermarket in our area is Nash Finch, they have 3 FTC, one Prairie Market and one FTC Express. Then we have two Safeways and one privately owned supermarket in Rapid Valley. Our Wal-Mart is CONSTANTLY busy, I can go to the store at 3a.m. and there are still at least 75 cars in the parking lot. I also heard that our location is tops in the nation for sales. We need another one but the crazy "Wally" haters keep putting a crimp in that idea. Hopefully it will happen someday!! My city has a population of around 60,000 but when you factor in all the outlaying towns, the reservation and the fact that there are only two Wal-Marts in Western South Dakota (that I am aware of) you can imagine the business this one gets. It is crazy there!! But I love cheap!!

malmalthekiller
04-13-2009, 07:31 AM
As an employee of the Giant smiley face I'd say it's the best paying job I've had so far in my work experience(except the military but I felt more like a dressed up monkey drone) at nearly $11/hr. the only problems I've had are/were with power-tripping management. contradicting themselves and each other, no communication, and when you ask for assistance or need to let them know things they talk down to you like a child who kept saying "mom, mom, mom..." over and over again.

This. Except I have a much bigger problem with it. There is NO communication whatsoever.

For example, this weekend was my birthday, so I asked off more than a month in advance, talked to managers about it, etc. They scheduled me. So I informed a manager that I wouldn't be around all weekend, they said that was fine.

So my boyfriend tells me that, on Saturday, they asked where I was. FUCK.

Plus the customers are all ruthless assholes.

Thank god I have a new job.

smileyeagle1021
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM

I've seen one. The wal-mart in Logan is actually very good. Always clean, always well staffed, they do have a (albeit small) section for regional products (so not all cheap made in China crap), and they chose a location that actually helped the local businesses (there weren't many stores in that area that directly competed with them, but are grateful for the extra traffic that wal-mart generates).

Salt Lake and Reno though I've started to see the opposite trend, and is something of a consequence of what GK was saying... once they become the dominate retailer you can say good bye to everyday low prices. Once they no longer have to actually compete the prices can and do go up.

CaroPhoenix
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I love my local Wal-Mart & the Super Wal-Mart that's almost an hour away.

I don't really like Target. I sometimes get clothing for my daughter there (when it's on the 50% or higher clearance racks), but I never buy anything from their very, very, very, very, very (did I mention very?) small Plus-Sized women's section. Also, they don't carry my size in the "intimates" department. I feel very discriminated against.

So it's Wal-Mart for me as they have some nice pairs of pants I've had for ages, I like their denim leggings & I can actually find Petite sizes for their pants!!

Kogarashi
04-13-2009, 09:15 PM

I, on the other hand, have only ever seen two that I would consider "bad," and that was more because both were in serious need of a proper renovation/remodel (and one was actually staffed with chronic frowners rather than normal people--I'm talking the cashiers whose faces are frozen into a deathglare that only gets worse if you try to smile at them).

I've worked in two and shopped in far, far more than that, and the two mentioned above were the exceptions for me. Ample staff, decently kept (usually only messy on freaky-busy days, which makes sense), well-stocked, etc. As an employee, it was a good-paying job and I'd do it again if I had to, though I would honestly prefer a job in a field I truly enjoy. Who wouldn't? The bad management, coworkers, and customers were vastly outnumbered by the good, and things like harassment, overtime, and requested days off were handled well.

Haven't heard any complaints from the several family members and friends who work for the company either, and I've got a decent spread to ask (store employees in different departments, distribution center employees, home office employees, even a truck driver for the company). Only relatives' complaints I've received are from the in-laws, who up until recently didn't have a good Walmart anywhere near them, just the one in dire need of a cleaning and renovation (and fewer scowl-faced employees).

As for Target and K-Mart.... I avoid the latter on general principle after a few experiences while job-hunting, though I'm sure there are good K-Marts out there as well, and it wasn't until I went to the Target near my in-laws' house and the one local to our current residence that I encountered good ones. The rest were trashed (some beyond belief, and understaffed in addition), the prices often rather higher than Walmart's for no change in quality, and the selection much smaller. I really don't like their in-store maternity line right now. Bleh. They do have some useful things, though, and as I said, my opinion is changing slightly due to the stores I've been to more recently.

Though I have to admit the prevalence of red throughout Target stores grates on me for some reason. I get uncomfortable and want to get out as quickly as possible.

Severen13
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Mixed feelings about Wal-Mart here.

I briefly worked for Wal-Mart and it was hell. Long hours, low wages, customers getting mad at ME when something wouldn't ring up. Ugh.

But that same Wal-Mart was a Super Wal-Mart. It was relatively clean and well stocked, it's grocery section was just as good--if not better--than the other grocery stores in town, and the prices were hard to beat. I shopped there at least once a week and made a point to be nice to the cashiers since I knew what they were going through.

I've moved since then and there is no Wal-Mart nearby, but there is a Target literally up the road.

wagegoth
04-13-2009, 10:24 PM
What everyone has said before.

There are three WMs near me that I have been to (the kids keep getting gift cards from my FIL to use there). None of them was really run-down or trashy, and they were fairly neat, but there was a general miasma of misery surrounding them. I've never been in more dangerous parking lots, and I've been in some places in Oakland and San Francisco that would probably freak most people out. The clientele comes in every shade and type of trash. I've never seen anyone, employee or shopper, in a good mood. Desperation and anger seem to be the overriding emotions. I just feel physically and mentally ill when I'm in those stores and tend to rush out as quickly as possible. My kids even hate it.

I do my shopping at Costco, Target and Lucky. I was upset to learn about some real labor issues that are now coming out about Target. I try to not shop at stores that treat their employees poorly. I will admit that that the khaki and red of the stores is not pleasant to me, either.

Dreamstalker
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
None of them was really run-down or trashy, and they were fairly neat, but there was a general miasma of misery surrounding them. I've never been in more dangerous parking lots, and I've been in some places in Oakland and San Francisco that would probably freak most people out. The clientele comes in every shade and type of trash. I've never seen anyone, employee or shopper, in a good mood. Desperation and anger seem to be the overriding emotions.
So I'm not the only one who notices that...it's funny, I can spend half a day in Target, but after five minutes in WM I'm ready to run out the door.

My dad used to go to WM almost exclusively, but stopped after the aforementioned problems his company had with them. He's aware that one person not shopping there won't make any difference at all, but knowing what he now does about how corporate works...

I've just read and heard too much bad stuff about their corporate practices to feel comfortable shopping there.

Aethian
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't really like Target. I sometimes get clothing for my daughter there (when it's on the 50% or higher clearance racks), but I never buy anything from their very, very, very, very, very (did I mention very?) small Plus-Sized women's section. Also, they don't carry my size in the "intimates" department. I feel very discriminated against.

DITTO DITTO DITTO

RootedPhoenix
04-14-2009, 01:04 AM

This is why I don't buy clothing at Target. I really hate how they have loads of room for trendy tiny stuff, and no room for classic things and more sizes. ARGH.

At the same time, I used to work for them, and wasn't mistreated. I'm a bit of a beast though, so that has to have something to do with it. I shop there out of some old worker loyalty...thing. I don't know, really. Sometimes it's just that they have what I need when I need it.

As for Wal-Mart, I've felt the same kind of ...mental unease that some others were talking about. Some stores don't really have it, but some are just so bad I don't want to shop there. Good prices, but I'd rather shop where I felt better.

Kogarashi
04-14-2009, 05:26 AM
So I'm not the only one who notices that...it's funny, I can spend half a day in Target, but after five minutes in WM I'm ready to run out the door.

Which I find interesting, since for me, it's the exact opposite. I lose track of time in Walmart, but Target stores have me itching to get out almost as soon as I get in.

Mr. Rager!
04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I used to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. But, when I can go to HyVee and buy $100 worth of groceries or go to Wal-Mart and buy the same groceries for $80-85, come on, there's a savings. Plus, it's one-stop shopping almost. I would never buy any thing big-ticket there. I never have. But, if I have a list of things, chances are I can find them all at wal-mart, which is just fine for me. Our Wal-Marts are nice. They're constantly upgrading stuff at our Wal-Marts. We have two Wal-Mart supercenters.

powerboy
04-15-2009, 02:03 AM
When I worked there, I got treated like shit. The managers are back stabbers. The claim to pay great.......Nope. When I worked there I made $6.50 an hour and I was outside pushing carts for 9 hours a day, without breaks. Hardly ever received a lunch. And when I did take one, I got in trouble for it. Almost had a heat stroke and still had to work, remember, I could not take a break. I got threaten to be fired, if I didn't go back out.

So yeah, I am going to hate Walmart after that crap. I will only shop there for little things. Otherwise, I shop at Target or other stores.

Fox One
04-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Another is that they wipe out local businesses. ok, ever heard of being COMPETITIVE? Maybe if you didn't charge 19.99 for a 3 pack of bic pens, I might shop at your store instead of wal-mart. Fuck you.That's rarely, if ever, an option. Wal-mart buys in major bulk for a nation-wide chain, meaning they can get deep discounts from the source. For a smaller chain, or worse, a mom-and-pop store, they have to buy their stock at reduced discounts (since they're buying less) up to being only slightly below what the consumer pays. To price their products below Wal-mart, they'd have to sell for less than they buy, which is suicide.

lordlundar
04-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Why do I hate Wal Mart? All I have to do is look at my mom. Why? She used to work there.

For 10 years She worked there, dealing with managers who spent more time kissing ass than actually tending to the store and staff, a corporate entity who saw her as nothing more than a number, and making no more than I did as a part time staff member at an electronics store (more on that a little later). Her reward? Degenerative arthritis of the lower back putting her to using a cane at 50. Why? Because she was forced to move in ways for her job that just aren't normal, let alone healthy.

To make matters worse, that got aggravated when she was told by her sup to clean up a cart and got slammed between them when a cart pusher was being a moron and didn't bother to look. Accident claim was denied, she never did really recover and was forced to go into long term disability then disabled CPP (canadian pension plan) when that ran out, and every step of it was a fight just to get retroactive payments from a year prior.

I get to watch her get steadily worse every day, knowing she'll be in a wheelchair before she hits 70. Finally, despite reports from 3 different doctors saying she will never be able to work there again, they think that it's only temporary and she'll be back to work in a few months. She went on long term last year, and they STILL think they can get several years of work out of her.

So yes, they had a large part of destroying the life of a very caring woman who I love very much for the all mighty dollar. The worst part of it? Other companies look at their business model and want to duplicate it. In my opinion, this is a large part of why the economy went in the tank, if not the direct cause.

Dreamstalker
04-15-2009, 04:35 AM
To price their products below Wal-mart, they'd have to sell for less than they buy, which is suicide.
That's basically what GameStore boss wanted me to do online (undercut competitors with zero knowledge of what was actually going on), which is what drove that sales initiative into the ground with mindboggling speed. If GameStore was a chain and thus privy to greater discounts from vendors, we might have been able to pull it off, but even then not for long.

IME that tactic works for clearance and only clearance, where the only goal is to move the product and free up space (and possibly recoup a bit of money in the process).

BethB
04-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Finally, despite reports from 3 different doctors saying she will never be able to work there again, they think that it's only temporary and she'll be back to work in a few months. She went on long term last year, and they STILL think they can get several years of work out of her.

I have a coworker who was going thru some hell with management over doctors appointments and illness. she was diagnosed with a tumor growing around her spine and their first response was she'll be able to work as long as she has help. WTF:eek:!! The girl just found out she has cancer and your first thought is "she can still work"?! I can guarantee that if it happened to any one of them it would be the end of the world. Fricken management!!!

CaroPhoenix
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Aethian and RP - I thought I was the only one who hated Target clothing! Whew! Sometimes on the website, they have stuff that is only on-line, but hardly ever on sale. :(

If you want to get good Plus-sized clothing at cheap prices, go to Kohl's (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/homepage.jsp). I got a really nice dark denim skort (skirt/short combo) originallly $36.00 for $3.60!!!! :jawdrop: It's one of my favorite pieces in my wardrobe. :D

AdminAssistant
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
If you want to get good Plus-sized clothing at cheap prices, go to Kohl's (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/homepage.jsp). I got a really nice dark denim skort (skirt/short combo) originallly $36.00 for $3.60!!!! :jawdrop: It's one of my favorite pieces in my wardrobe. :D

I never have much luck at Kohl's...it's generally too..hmm...grownup?... for my tastes. (It is good quality, and I do shop there sometimes.) I like Maurice's the best - there clearance selection is pretty good, and the people at the one here are AWESOME. There's one girl in particular that works there that I just adore. She's plus-sized, too, and always super eager to show you the new stuff, help you put an outfit together, etc. Sometimes clerks snub plus-sized shoppers. I do shop at Target, because sometimes, depending on the cut, I can squeeze into Merona XXL's.

Aethian
04-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Aethian and RP - I thought I was the only one who hated Target clothing! Whew! Sometimes on the website, they have stuff that is only on-line, but hardly ever on sale. :(

Yup, I've noticed that. Mom tried getting me some cute men's shirts off the online store and they don't take her employee discount (retiree). Said it was invalid or something. But the women's stuff on there just makes me think that they are trying to make big girls look bigger.

I never have much luck at Kohl's...it's generally too..hmm...grownup?... for my tastes. (It is good quality, and I do shop there sometimes.) I like Maurice's the best - there clearance selection is pretty good, and the people at the one here are AWESOME. There's one girl in particular that works there that I just adore. She's plus-sized, too, and always super eager to show you the new stuff, help you put an outfit together, etc. Sometimes clerks snub plus-sized shoppers. I do shop at Target, because sometimes, depending on the cut, I can squeeze into Merona XXL's.

The Kohl's around here have *some* nice things but generally look like they are made up for the lower middle class business wear then the upper middle class business wear and nothing else. While I don't mind dressing up every so often I don't want to look like I work in a office with no windows and no sight to anyone else except maybe my boss. It's either nice clothes that one would see customers in or jeans and a nice top.

Hence...I have taken to trying to learn how to sew again, now if only I could get it to stay straight I would be in line to make cute tops for me. Or jeans that don't fall off my rear while don't kill my tummy.

Mike Taylor
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
DrFaroohk seems to have disappeared from the thread. Two posts and nothing else.

Personally, I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible. There's a Super Target, a Publix, and a World Market all within a mile of my house. If I count the route I take to work, there's two more Publix stores, another Target, a Walgreens, a Costco, and a CVS. Then, of course, there's my employer and the discounts I get there render Wal-Mart's so-called "lower prices" meaningless.

I'd rather not support a business which treats its employees so poorly (see the various examples above) and would rather shut down a store than let its workers unionize.

Lace Neil Singer
04-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Luckily there is no Wal-Mart over here; but there is Asda, which is owned by Wal-Mart. The only Asda I've ever been in is fairly clean, but seems to attract chavs like flies on sh*t as far as customers go. O_o The place also seems chronically short staffed all the time.

In any case, since I work at Orange Carrier Bag Shop, I get a discount so I don't set foot in other supermarkets very often. XD Only if I'm with friends who shop elsewhere.

wagegoth
04-16-2009, 09:57 PM
If you're a larger size girl and looking for clothes, go online to Jessica London, Roaman's and Woman Within. They're all part of the same company, just different styles of clothes. If you buy regularly, you start getting all kinds of email coupons and discounts. I ordered some stuff from their central site, onestopplus, which, unfortunately, does not have everything the other sites carry, and I've been getting coupons for 1/3 off my total order.

Jessica London is nice businesswear and more upscale. Roaman's is for the sequins and fringe crowd. Woman Within is very basic stuff.

depechemodefan
04-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Dirty WM vs. Clean WM
I noticed before they made the stores Super WM, the stores were dingy and not attractive. But now they are bigger they look much more attractive. ONly trouble is the stores are so big now, it's easier to stop at Krogers on the way home for groceries, then stop at Walgreens for meds. Because it's too much to walk from one end to the other. Also, the bathrooms can't stay clean. I blame the customers, though. Some people don't know how to use a toliet.

But wasn't this the housewares section?
Now I use to no one being helpful. When I got up to someone and ask whre something is, it's usually, "it should be in aisle x" and they walk away. I actually can count on one hand staff there who are helpful. Either they say, "I think it's aisle 7. Let's go over t here and look" and they will go look for you. Or else they do know where stuff is. But again, store is so big, I can imagine a worker not remembering where everything is.

Now it seems every 2 years the store's makeup is changed. The craft section was by the electronics. Now it's where the housewares was. So I go looking for mothballs and I find fake flowers.

interresting math
One day, I saw oranges 8/$1. I Buy 4. I get charged $.54. Every other store, may it be Krogers, Randalls, Food Town, Fruitilandia, etc,. if oranges were 8/$1, 4 would be $.50. Wal-Mart will charge $.13 each. And 4x13=.52, so I don't know how the math worked out for it to be $.54, but the receipt showed they were charged 13 cents each.

I get that if two items are $.99, if you buy one it's $.45 but I never experience math like what those oranges cost at WM.

Staff is not helpful, part 2-7
Staff rather talk to their coworkers than customers
Once I went to the electronics dept. to look at digital cameras. After looking for a while, I went to the people behind the film development counter and asked for help. There are two people. The woman behind the counter looks at me and nods her head like she acknowledges me. And she continues to talk to her coworker. I go back to the cameras and I see a person just arrived and was looking at cameras and still no one came to help me. Then the person who just arrived went to the counter, asked for help, and the woman behind the camera put on her lab jacket and came out behind the counter. The person who just arrived started to ask a question and I say, "I was here first". The other person says, "I went to get help" and I say "I went to get help first" and the other person is just rude to me and the staff woman says, "I can help you both."
I felt that the staff woman ignored me at first, which wouldn't bother me so much if it looked like she was busy, but I don't know if she was talking shop with her coworker or found her conversation too interresting to help me.

Another time I asked for a price check. The cashier gets the attention of a guy staff worker who is talking to his coworkers near the register. He was talking about some party he went to. The cashier tells him to do a price check, and he continues his conversation with his coworkers.

sometimes the cashier doesn't know where she is
One time I had more than 20 items in my cart. I go to the 20 items or less line and I say, "I have more than 20 items, is that ok?" The cashier says, "this is 10 itmes or less line." I say, "it says 20 items or less" and she repeats "this is 10 itmes or less line." Ok, i can get that cashiers get diff. lanes on diff. days, but could she not get off her ass (she was on a stool-really) and look?

I need to get the manager
I got a blanket that was on sale, for $12. The sticker on the bag it's in says $12. It rang up $14. I tell the cashier it's $12 and show her the sticker. She needs the manager not to override but to get an ok to ring it up as $12. I suppose they think I changed stickers , even though the sticker was actually in the bag, on top of the cardboard that gives info. on the blanket.

There are more stories but I will admit it's not just WM that gives me bad customer service. A lot of times I don't get greeted by a cashier, even though the cashier greeted the person before/after me. And I had this manager at Walgreens (when I didn't work there) treated me rudely 2x. But WM is the place I get treated worst.

draftermatt
04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
In my town there is a Wal-Mart, (2) Weis Supermarkets, a CVS, a True Value, and some other chain stores. There aren't too many small stores left, nor were there ever. Driving through Main St the stores that are there have been there for years. So Wal-Mart didn't put them out.

I shop at Wal-Mart. Why? Because I don't like the way Target is set up, or their prices, etc.

Do I like Wal-Mart? No.

I hate that I go into Sears which used to have helpful, knowledgeable people, and while they are still there, they're no where what they used to be. And they no longer handle their own installs, etc. It's all subbed out.

I hate that my favorite electronics store (Tweeter) has filed bankruptcy meaning I have to go elsewhere for a TV when I need one (probably soon if the green blotch on Bea Arthur's face yesterday was any indication).

But where else can I go? How can I justify spending $250 on groceries at Weis, when I can get the same at Wal-Mart for $190?

I've never had a problem with dirty stores, ditzy workers sure, but I've seen them almost everywhere I go anymore.

Kogarashi
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
One day, I saw oranges 8/$1. I Buy 4. I get charged $.54. Every other store, may it be Krogers, Randalls, Food Town, Fruitilandia, etc,. if oranges were 8/$1, 4 would be $.50. Wal-Mart will charge $.13 each. And 4x13=.52, so I don't know how the math worked out for it to be $.54, but the receipt showed they were charged 13 cents each.

I get that if two items are $.99, if you buy one it's $.45 but I never experience math like what those oranges cost at WM.

Huh. Sounds like someone entered the price wrong in the system then. It's been my experience as a cashier for WM that if the price is 8/$1, then 4 would be $.50, 2 would be $.25, etc. That's how they've always rung up for me, and how they're entered into the system (for easier math for the registers). Other stores like Shaws, though, I've always had the situation where it may say 2/$5 on the sign, but you have to buy the two to get that price, and one would cost something like $3 or more.

One time I had more than 20 items in my cart. I go to the 20 items or less line and I say, "I have more than 20 items, is that ok?" The cashier says, "this is 10 itmes or less line." I say, "it says 20 items or less" and she repeats "this is 10 itmes or less line." Ok, i can get that cashiers get diff. lanes on diff. days, but could she not get off her ass (she was on a stool-really) and look?

She really sounds confused. I don't think I've ever seen a 10-or-less or 15-or-less lane in WM.

:: pout:: And I never got a stool to sit on! ::whine:: ;)

I got a blanket that was on sale, for $12. The sticker on the bag it's in says $12. It rang up $14. I tell the cashier it's $12 and show her the sticker. She needs the manager not to override but to get an ok to ring it up as $12. I suppose they think I changed stickers , even though the sticker was actually in the bag, on top of the cardboard that gives info. on the blanket.

I believe this is store policy, actually. If something rings up differently from what the customer claims, whether it's the wrong price or the cashier thinks the customer put incorrect stickers on the item, the cashiers aren't allowed to override the price without permission first. Either a CSM has to go check the shelf label, or a department employee has to verify that what the customer says is correct. Sometimes the weekly flyer can stand in if it shows the exact item at a different price. But, unfortunately, we can't just take the customer's word on it, and I've actually had price-switching customers put incorrect clearance stickers inside the zippered bedding set bags before. I'm not saying that's what you did, just that it happens so cashiers can't always just go by what the sticker says. I'm sorry you had to wait.

depechemodefan
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Huh. Sounds like someone entered the price wrong in the system then. It's been my experience as a cashier for WM that if the price is 8/$1, then 4 would be $.50, 2 would be $.25, etc. That's how they've always rung up for me, and how they're entered into the system (for easier math for the registers). Other stores like Shaws, though, I've always had the situation where it may say 2/$5 on the sign, but you have to buy the two to get that price, and one would cost something like $3 or more.

She inputed the plu and the no. of items and they came out that way

She really sounds confused. I don't think I've ever seen a 10-or-less or 15-or-less lane in WM.

:: pout:: And I never got a stool to sit on! ::whine:: ;) There are 10 items of less lanes now, besides the 20 items. And yeah, I was surprised she had a stool.

I believe this is store policy, actually. If something rings up differently from what the customer claims, whether it's the wrong price or the cashier thinks the customer put incorrect stickers on the item, the cashiers aren't allowed to override the price without permission first. Either a CSM has to go check the shelf label, or a department employee has to verify that what the customer says is correct. Sometimes the weekly flyer can stand in if it shows the exact item at a different price. But, unfortunately, we can't just take the customer's word on it, and I've actually had price-switching customers put incorrect clearance stickers inside the zippered bedding set bags before. I'm not saying that's what you did, just that it happens so cashiers can't always just go by what the sticker says. I'm sorry you had to wait.

I figures she might have thought I changed stickers, but I guess the way she reacted. I guess I"m used to going to, say, Ross, and getting a sweater and the clearance price is on the tag and if it rang up more the cashier gets the manager to override. This person in WM was acting she was questioning the fact that it rang up more, then just that the price could have been scanned wrong.

Akasa
04-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a BIG problem with WM.
My best friend is blind. We ALWAYS get shit about her seeing eye dog. Its not just her and the WM we lived near. When she went to get her new seeing eye dog after her first one died she had a conversation with the other people who were getting their dog and going through the training and get to know you time with their dogs about WM. EVERYONE has had problems w/ WM and their dogs. EVERYONE.
Don't even TRY to tell me it isn't that bad. Being CHASED out into the parking lot by the door person DEMANDING to know if the dog is a service animal in a hostile tone after being asked ON EVERY ISLE by yet another WM employee is harrassment. The BS at the door is harrassment. They are ALWAYS hostile and rude.
Don't even TRY to defend them. There is no defense.

friendofjimmyk
04-18-2009, 12:48 PM
We have a Walmart Supercenter near where I live...then, a Target Supercenter opened right next to it. Target has everything Walmart does except the people. Their merchandise costs a little more, however, I truly prefer the Target store to Wally World.

Like I said, I can go into Target and not have long lines, people overflowing into the aisles....and the clientele at Target is a bit better...they tend to bathe.

Not to say that I believe the OP doesn't bathe...that's just how the Walmart is here near me. Stinky and too crowded.

XCashier
04-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I have a BIG problem with WM.
My best friend is blind. We ALWAYS get shit about her seeing eye dog....Being CHASED out into the parking lot by the door person DEMANDING to know if the dog is a service animal in a hostile tone after being asked ON EVERY ISLE by yet another WM employee is harrassment.
:confused: The dog wears gear that indicates that it's a seeing eye dog, right? Every seeing eye dog I've seen has a noticeable harness specifically for guide dogs, and most wear some sort of vest or ID tag stating that they are seeing eye dogs.

I'd say a complaint to corporate would be in order. They need to train their employees on how to recognize a helper animal.

Summerfly413
04-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Oh walmart. I go there sometimes but I hate it.

First of all, parking sucks. People constantly cut though the empty parking spaces, and if you're coming up an aisle, they won't slow down and just keep going.

Once inside, it's soo hard to get around the food aisles. They have things full of food going down the middle main aisle, leaving little room for the carts.
And people make it worse by just STOPPING to look around or to see what's down an aisle.

The workers aren't too great. Though there was a lady stocking the meats last night who was very nice and helpful. A rare breed at my walmart.
The cashiers never seem happy or rarely SAY anything at all.

When I was visiting my friend in Georgia some teenage girl was at the register. Didn't say a thing to me. Didn't greet me, tell me my total, didn't tell me what my change was. I hate cashiers like that.

They redid my walmart within the last year or two, so it does look nicer, but I still don't know where everything is.

Kogarashi
04-21-2009, 03:47 AM
She inputed the plu and the no. of items and they came out that way.

Oh, I don't mean her. I mean the department head or whoever is in charge of programming the PLU/UPC numbers. Sounds like they put the price into the system incorrectly, which is why merchandise shows up as the wrong price at the registers. (Well, that or putting the merchandise in the wrong spot on the shelf or on the wrong peg. ::shakes fist at coworkers:: )

RootedPhoenix
04-21-2009, 09:30 AM
There are 10 items of less lanes now, besides the 20 items. And yeah, I was surprised she had a stool.

Sometimes there are injuries, and people can't stand for long periods of time while they recover. I had to do that when I was on crutches and working as a cashier.

Not that what she said wasn't kind of ditzy. You still ought to know what lane you're on.

boringscreenname
04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
At our old apartment we did grocery shopping at Wal-Mart every two weeks and we always tried to schedule our trips for an "off time." I never really liked shopping there but it was cheaper than the other stores around and we were expecting a baby and you can only stretch your dollar so far. Their grocery section was great and we could stock up cheap and get everything in one trip. Like a lot of other people mentioned the lines were long, poorly staffed, a lot of rude, and nasty customers and the parking lot was a nightmare.

We got all of our son's big ticket items there. We bought a crib, matress, bedding set, car seat, stroller, bouncy seat and swing from there. What I really liked is the Site to Store feature where you order something online and they deliver it to the store free.

We did have a problem with that once. We went to pick up our item and no one was in the site to store area. So we talked to multiple employees and it still took over an hour for someone to get back there and get our item for us. It was beyond ridiculous and I was pregnant, very hungry and throwing up at the time. After that I vowed never to use Site to Store again and I'd either find it in the store or find it somewhere else.

All of our son's baby items have held up great though, and he's still using them all with no signs of them breaking or anything. Plus they were $20-$30 cheaper than places like Target and Babies R Us. We didn't have such good luck with their clothes, they shrunk, lost shape and form and were impossible to get stains out of, plus some of their clothes are just ugly so we shop elsewhere now.

Now the area we live in doesn't have a Supercenter, so we go to Meijers instead. Very similar to Wal-Mart not a national chain though. It does appear cleaner, with a larger variety of some stuff other stuff is often limited, but their prices are roughly the same. The only Wal-Mart we have near us is small and doesn't have a good selection so we moved awy from Wal-Mart and what we can't fin at Meijer's we pick up at Target. They have great clearance deals but you have to look around a bit to fin them.

unholypet
04-22-2009, 03:25 AM
My personal love reasons for WM:

-Prepackaged computers that are easily modifiable
-$1 clothing sales
-Pays several of my friends' wages
-Ghiradelli, pistachios, and 98 cent lettuce bags

My personal disdain for WM:

-The local stores had cheaper items, better quality produce, and more interesting HANDMADE clothing for $3, in my size.
-The local stores kept the money spent in the town, and not corporate.
-Local stores DIED after one year, see: Taco Bell, two Ma n Pa food places, FIVE farmer's stations, that nice handmade clothes place, the other place that would take up the legs of a size 10 for a 5'4'' person.
-The hordes of woman workers (at all hours of the day) just STANDING there talking about nonsense LOUDLY.
-Stinky man cashier whose nose is dripping ALL the time!
-I miss the nice people in the other, cleaner stores.
-The factory that was SUPPOSED to be made where Wally World moved in, and all of the better-paying jobs that entailed.
-The hateful electronics employees who always blow you off to play GH: Aerosmith, when they could just pause and open the effing game case.

And, as a side note, $8 an hour isn't slave wages where your minimum wage is only $6.55. You are a blessed individual to make such an amount.

AND! Way way way waaaaaayyy back when, I was denied a job there because my personality test (supposedly) told the manager that, and I am quoting verbatim,"It says you are a danger to other workers, and I should make sure you leave happy. Are you a sociopath? *shuffles readout papers*"

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 03:37 AM
AND! Way way way waaaaaayyy back when, I was denied a job there because my personality test (supposedly) told the manager that, and I am quoting verbatim,"It says you are a danger to other workers, and I should make sure you leave happy. Are you a sociopath? *shuffles readout papers*"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Poorly Unholypet! It's ok, we still love you even if you are a sociopath! :D

blas
04-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Haha, no worries, I failed the personality test, too. Must mean I have no personality.

Oh, and not just Wal-Mart's. I have a huge laundry list of stores whose personality tests I epically failed. Oh well...at least in manufacturing I don't have to pretend to like my job and care.

unholypet
04-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Oh, and not just Wal-Mart's. I have a huge laundry list of stores whose personality tests I epically failed. .

Have you ever heard the "you're too honest" excuse?

blas
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Nope. Most of them were pretty honest and said that I failed the test and therefore was not desirable for hire, a couple of them I assume I failed because they never called me back...and one place even sent me a POSTCARD telling me my results. *cough* Vanity clothing stores *cough*

RootedPhoenix
04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Have you ever heard the "you're too honest" excuse?

I've heard about it. So ridiculous. They want to be lied to...but they tell you in the instructions not to lie. :confused: So stupid.