PDA

View Full Version : What is so hard about spelling my name?

draggar
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
It's DRAGGAR

D-R-A-G-G-A-R

It's not Dragger, it's not Drigger, it's not Digger. It's Draggar.

Even people on forums that I've known for years still spell it Dragger.

Maybe I should start misspelling their names. :D

smileyeagle1021
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry... did you say that was spellt D-R-A-G-G-E-R... I couldn't quite hear you :angel:

sorry, it was too easy a shot to not take it :devil:

draggar
04-15-2009, 01:32 PM
OK SmellyEagle. :)

smileyeagle1021
04-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I guess I deserve that one Drager :p

lupo pazzesco
04-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Now children...behave... :p

Or, you know, keep it up! I could always use a good giggle in the mornings.

Yes, actually, scratch the earlier admonition. Carry on! :D

smileyeagle1021
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
you know, locco pazzesco... this could make an interesting forum game... misspell the person above you's name :p (hey, you told me to carry on)

lupo pazzesco
04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
you wanna know the funny thing? You use loco, spanish for crazy to sub my name, when in reality, my s/n is italian, roughly translating to "crazy wolf" I is amused. :)

draggar
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I would think lupo meant wolf (canis lupis) and pazzesco would be something else?

malmalthekiller
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
People misspell my real name all the time.

It's not that hard.

lupo pazzesco
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I would think lupo meant wolf (canis lupis) and pazzesco would be something else?

lupo does mean wolf. pazzesco is roughly translated to insane or crazy. I dunno. Been a long time since my poppi talked in Italian, and my mom never really picked up the language, being raised in the states.

but put it together, with proper syntax and whatnot in Italian, and it means crazy/insane wolf. (A play on my germanic last name...)

Evil Queen
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
My real last name is Polish*.

Enough said. :p

In ethnicity, not literally.

Jester
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I have this problem with my real first name. It is one that has a fewl common spellings, and several uncommon spellings, and though mine is the most common and the easiest, people are constantly fucking it up! It drives me nuts.

The funny part is a shortened version of my first name only has one spelling. ONE! And yet twice in my life, people have asked me how to spell THAT! (Yes, they were both idiots.)

Evil Queen
04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
I know your name. :p

draggar
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I have this problem with my real first name. It is one that has a fewl common spellings, and several uncommon spellings, and though mine is the most common and the easiest, people are constantly fucking it up! It drives me nuts.

The funny part is a shortened version of my first name only has one spelling. ONE! And yet twice in my life, people have asked me how to spell THAT! (Yes, they were both idiots.)

My (real) first name is 2 letters and some people have messed it up...

Jester
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

I know you do. And thus you can imagine my annoyance with people misspelling it. AND you know how stupid those two people had to be to ask how to spell the shortened form of it.

And let's you and I keep my name under your hat where it belongs, okay? Thanks. Buh-bye! :wave:

Evil Queen
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I know you do. And thus you can imagine my annoyance with people misspelling it. AND you know how stupid those two people had to be to ask how to spell the shortened form of it.

And let's you and I keep my name under your hat where it belongs, okay? Thanks. Buh-bye! :wave:

Actually, it's not that common a name. At least not that I'm real familiar with but you do have the most common spelling of it so why anyone has issues with how it's spelled? I have no idea.

Gosh, me? Keep a secret? How will I ever manage. :rolleyes:

Jester
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
It's not as common as Ed or John or Mike, no, but it's a fairly common and well-known name. Not like it's bizarre, off the wall, or obscure, ya know.

Kogarashi
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Growing up, my last name was the same as a city just one state away, only spelled ever so slightly differently. Mine was the simpler spelling (just like it sounds), and yet it took from kindergarten all the way through 12th grade before the school district finally stopped misspelling it on me. Then I went to college out in Utah, where the vast majority of my relatives with this surname live, and while people could spell it out there they seem incapable of pronouncing it. Even half the relatives with this name mispronounce it. :doh:

Then I got married. Hubby has an incredibly common and easy-to-spell surname. I warned him that I'd bring the misspelling curse with me, and he just laughed it off. Within six months of getting married, it was misspelled twice by people who should've known better.

smileyeagle1021
04-15-2009, 10:07 PM

is it wrong that I'm now tempted to go into your reservation and change the spelling on it :devil:

I'm surprised I guessed right for spelling it the first time, considering my dad used the 'wrong' spelling :p

Jester
04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
is it wrong that I'm now tempted to go into your reservation and change the spelling on it :devil:

I'm surprised I guessed right for spelling it the first time, considering my dad used the 'wrong' spelling :p

I was impressed that you spelled it right the first time. And I promise you, if you change the spelling to the "wrong" way, you are going to annoy me.

And I think we all know by now annoying Jester is a baaaaad idea. :lol:

Broomjockey
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
I was impressed that you spelled it right the first time.

Is it Steve? It's Steve, isn't it? Because that would make life just too damned weird. I always blame Steve for *everything*. "Who didn't clean up?" "Steve." etc etc. So all this time, I've been blaming YOU! :p

My grandfather's name was Steve, too. Not Stephen, not Steven. Steve.

Kiwi
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
My last name is a first name... so I feel your pain.

I get this all the time,

them: last name please
me: kiwi
them: NO I asked for your last name
me: and I said my last name :rolleyes:
them:that's your SURNAME :confused:
me:*shoot me* YES kiwi is my SURNAME
them: oh, okay its just thats a first name
me: *sigh I hate stupid people* and its a last name anything else? :banghead:

Ive had it at banks, doctors offices, AA (for my drivers licence), hair appointments, picking up packages at the post office, everywhere. You name a place where you could possibly have to give your name, I've had that conversation there.

draggar
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
In all honesty, Kiwi, I might have done the same, too.

"What is your last name?"
"Kiwi"
"Your last name is Kiwi?" (asked like a confirmation)
"Yes"
"OK"

Kiwi
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
well my last name isnt really kiwi.... but im not going to blert my real last name out here :P

just to clarify

I'm not referring people who are just checking they heard me right, I talking about those who raise their eyebrows and act annoyed as if I wasn't paying attention to their question.
Theres a big difference between someone confirming with "your last name is kiwi" and snapping "No I asked for your last name".

Its gotten to the stage that I now answer with "my LAST name is kiwi" and they still don't believe me

AdminAssistant
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
My first name is extremely common. Extremely. To a ridiculous level. There is one predominant spelling, that is by far the most common, which is the way my name is spelled. There are other varieties of course. I've got to where now, when I give my name, I usually just spell both first and last, to avoid confusion. (My last name is an English derivative. People usually have trouble spelling it, but have more trouble saying it.)

What annoys me is when my students misspell my name on a paper or something they turn in. They type the paper on the computer, how hard would it be to look up the syllabus online and make sure you spell my freakin' name right!

BookstoreEscapee
04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I know your name, too, Jester. My name is actually similar-ish. No one can say it or spell it. Or my last name, either. Probably doesn't help that my first name isn't really a "name" but it's really not hard to pronounce. Two syllables. Simple. But no.

My brother has a common name with two spellings. Of course my parents had to use the less common one. I swear they wanted to drive us both crazy.

Evil Queen
04-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes Bookstore, your name and his name is similar. But I'd never seen how your name was spelled until I met this guy from Canada (who was originally from France). Nice guy.

Trayol
04-16-2009, 12:40 AM
What annoys me is when my students misspell my name on a paper or something they turn in. They type the paper on the computer, how hard would it be to look up the syllabus online and make sure you spell my freakin' name right!
I've done this with one of my professors. Needless to say, I was thoroughly embarrassed with myself. :o

My real first name is somewhat uncommon in the US, but is common in another country. I've had people mispronounce my name at. There are only two pronunciations for my name but the spelling is exactly the same.

Bandit
04-16-2009, 12:48 AM
My grandfather's name was Steve, too. Not Stephen, not Steven. Steve.

I know the feeling - the name I was given at birth (was adopted from there) was Larry. Not Lawrence, Larry. Second name was Steve.

Yes, I have paperwork where my name was Larry Steve.

And yes, I was hatched in the late 60s. :lol:

B

Reyneth
04-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Kiwi, I understand you. My last name isn't the same as a first name, but it is said similar to a girl's first name.

My sister used to reply to the "last name?" question with "Jennifer-and-yes-that-is-my-last-name." (name not Jennifer of course) Just headed off the issue before it even came up. But they rarely believed her!

Ree
04-16-2009, 01:18 AM
People misspell my name all the time.

My maiden name was pretty simple, (4 letters) but people would throw in an "i" that didn't belong, or spell it with a "C" instead of a "K", or use an "a" instead of an "e" in the middle of it.
My married name is a bit more difficult, but still pretty easy - spelled like it sounds, but people still forget the double "e" and only put one in there, which, to me, would shorten the 'e" sound.

My first name is pretty easy too, and it is always being spelled wrong, too, with the "ri" combination of letters being written as "ir".

I am always really careful to make sure I am spelling a person's name correctly because that's one of my biggest nitpicks.

McGoddess09
04-16-2009, 01:27 AM
The way my name is pronounced and the way my name is spelled are two different things. If people see my name, they pronounce it with A. When I say my real name, they spell it with an O. This doesn't bother me so much.

It's the same with my last name. The 'ugh' is silent. I've had my last name pronounced:

Weigh
Waag
Wow
Wong (How they got that, I dunno. There is no frikken 'n')
However, I am very picky about my last name being pronounced.

Then people ask if I'm Asian.

WTF? I am pale as hell. My eyes are round. I'm taller than most white people, let alone the average Asian. My hair is very wavy and brown (naturally. I dye it red most of the time).

Bliss
04-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah, cry me a river. I have three first names, two last names... the first name I use is Noordic, my last name is Austrian, long and hard. And I live in South America... if you get butcherings of your names, you got nothing on me... actually I almost died the other day... I met this guy: http://www.eluniversal.com/2008/04/28/pedoliendo.jpg and when told my last name (No blurting my secret jester, you know it... hey how come I don't know yours??? EQ where can I paypal you a bribe?) he not only pronounced it perfectly, he knew what it means! I almost had a heart attack... it's the first time ever a person knows what my last name means!

P.s. That's Pedro Liendo, a famous academic musician and lyricist from my country.

BookstoreEscapee
04-16-2009, 02:39 AM
People misspell my name all the time.

How do you get your first name wrong? (Your first name is my middle name; the only part of my name that I consider easy, though I only use my middle initial in official stuff, almost never in everyday life). Your last name is 2 letters off from my best friend's first name, so I don't think I could spell it wrong if I tried. :D (I also tend to pay more attention to spelling and pronunciation of people's names, since they have so much trouble with mine.)

Then people ask if I'm Asian.

WTF? I am pale as hell. My eyes are round. I'm taller than most white people, let alone the average Asian. My hair is very wavy and brown (naturally. I dye it red most of the time).

Ha, my blonde, blue-eyed friend has gotten that. Her maiden name ends in -ong (but it's German and does not otherwise sound at all Asian).

Yeah, cry me a river. I have three first names, two last names... the first name I use is Noordic, my last name is Austrian, long and hard.

Your first name is ridiculously easy...even if you spoke Spanish it would be pronounced the same way, I would think. Your last name...well, makes me think of something else.... :D

Icelator
04-16-2009, 02:50 AM
my real name is greg.

It's really simple, and rather common.

I have seen it spelled:
Grag, Greig, Greag, Greeg, Gerg and more that don't come to mind.

Jester
04-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Is it Steve? It's Steve, isn't it?

No. It's not.

[B]My last name is a first name... so I feel your pain.

Years ago in Arizona, I had a female roommate whose first name was Carlin. This caused all kinds of confusion, especially with her mail.

Firstly, much of her male had her first and last name reversed. Secondly (and the bigger issue for her) is so many people thought she was a man due to her name (only when they read it, not when they met her, mind you) that she would get much junk mail (and some non-junk!) addressed to "Mr." her name. And yes, she often got BOTH problems, so she would get shit addressed to "Mr. [Her Last Name] Carlin."

It frustrated her to no end. But....she still loved her name.

Its gotten to the stage that I now answer with "my LAST name is kiwi" and they still don't believe me

I have literally gotten carded for my name.

Now, you have to understand something. My first name with my last name sounds like a great stage name, and something someone might make up. As I have been both a DJ and a magician, two jobs where people often DO use stage names, I have gotten that a lot.

FRIEND: "Hey, have you met my buddy? He's a DJ!"
THEM: "Hi there! I'm Teresa Scheizkopf. Who are you?"
ME: "I'm [Jester Dude]."
THEM: "Hey, great stage name! What's your real name?"
ME: "[Jester Dude]."
THEM: "No, I'm serious!"
ME: "So am I."
THEM: "I don't believe you! Let me see your ID!"
(I whip out my ID.)
THEM: "Oh, that really IS your name!"
ME: "I told you!"

No blurting my secret jester, you know it... hey how come I don't know yours??? EQ where can I paypal you a bribe?

1. I don't repeat secrets. I am a vault.
2. You DO know my name. Or you did. If you can't remember shit I tell you, that's your own problem, buddy. :lol:

SengaKitty
04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Heh, my first name used to get misspelled a lot, as it's a singer's name, but spelled with the more common spelling. I've also had people say "Oh so you were named after (singer)"... Said singer was popular when I was born :doh: It also gets mispronounced a lot (ees instead of is).

Now my married last name drives me crazy. Easy easy easy, but people ALWAYS misspell it! Even last night at the pre-GED assessment test, after I'd spelled it for them on the phone, shown them my ID, written my name on the first part of the test... They bring me the second part of the test, and had my last name misspelled.... I miss my maiden name... So easy :( No one ever misspelled or mispronounced it.

Evil Queen
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
It could be worse. Could be my Polish last name. Yes, it's irritating that it's POLISH and NO ONE can spell it properly (unless they're polish too). Supposedly my last name translates into "Farmer".

Not bad right?

Until I read on Urban Dictionary that it's also slang for a dude's schlong (not the translation).

That was depressing (but hilarious) to find out. Particularly if you translate my first name (meaning "graceful") and combine it with my last name.

My Mom's is worse. She married into this name and her first name translates to "Lonely" :lol: So Mom is Lonely Schlong.

Becks
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I've pretty much gotten over every misspelling of Rebecca you can think of.

My last name, however...misspelled, mispronounced... I think I'll take Mommy's maiden name. French spelling of an Irish last name.

I know it, too. :D

smileyeagle1021
04-16-2009, 08:23 PM
THEM: "Hey, great stage name! What's your real name?"

he's not lying... it would be a great stage name :)

BookstoreEscapee
04-16-2009, 10:25 PM
he's not lying... it would be a great stage name :)

Damn, now I really want to know his last name!!!

My mom's middle name is my first name that I have so much trouble with. Her real first name is Mary. She chooses to go by her middle name. :shrug:

And my roommate met someone while she was on vacation whose name is Shalong. And it's a woman. Yeah.

ArcticChicken
04-17-2009, 07:06 AM
My last name is Scottish in origin, and while I haven't had too much trouble with people spelling it (usually 'cause they ask me straight up), there isn't a single spell checker with my name programed into it. Despite the fact that there is a relatively well known city with the same name.

Jester
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
t would be a great stage name

Not "would be." "Is." It IS a great stage name.

It just happens to be my actual name. Makes everything that much easier, wouldn't you say? :D