PDA

View Full Version : Whyisit? (fahion question)

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Whyisit I sometimes see people, almost always chavvy-looking guys and gals, walking around with of their pants legs rolled up to their knee or so and the other leg down at its normal length?

Is this supposed to make them look tough or something? I think it makes them look like they fail at dressing themselves, and couldn't even handle Garanimals without making themselves look like neo-maxi-zoom-dweebies.

I saw a guy like this at work today. He looked really really stupid.

sms001
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
When I did it it was because I was wearing long pants and biking and forgot my clip or wrap. Probably not the trend they're emulating though.

AnaKhouri
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
When I was in high school, from 1993-1997, it was common to see my African-American male classmates walking around in sweatpants with one leg rolled up. I never found out why.

Maybe the chavvy girls are emulating a style 12 years too late? :p

draftermatt
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
When I was in high school, from 1993-1997, it was common to see my African-American male classmates walking around in sweatpants with one leg rolled up. I never found out why.

Some black guys and a lot of white guys who thought they were "ghetto" did that when I went to Middle School (1995-1998)

The white guy I asked about it claimed it to be a gang thing if I recall.

Jester
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Not only have I never seen this, I've never even HEARD of it.

Sounds like something braindead fashionista idiots would do, though.

malmalthekiller
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Some hipsters do it because riding a bike with long pants = trouble.

Some people do it because they think it looks cool. I haven't seen that in style since I was a bit younger, though.

Primer
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
When I did it it was because I was wearing long pants and biking and forgot my clip or wrap. Probably not the trend they're emulating though.
Nod, I did this back in the '70s, myself...

Bella_Vixen
04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Some black guys and a lot of white guys who thought they were "ghetto" did that when I went to Middle School (1995-1998)

That was the theory when I was in school during those years. :cry:

blas
04-21-2009, 02:02 AM
LL Cool J wore his pants like that a LOT in the 90s.

I don't really see that a lot.....all I see are guys wearing their pants about 10 sizes too big, looks like they shit their pants, the butt of their pants is down to their knees....their legs look 1/2 a foot tall....blech.

But remember, it's cool to be gangster. It looks the best when you're whiter than the walls!

BethB
04-21-2009, 02:12 AM
They wear it like that to show off the "sexy" leg and hide the ugly one. Honestly, I think it's a lame "gang" look. It's almost as bad as the low rise pants with regular rise thongs. Didn't need to see that!

Amina516
04-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Depending on location, this also may (used to anyway, back in the day) signify that the person is selling drugs, like sneakers over telephone wires. LOL.

People come up with weird ideas.

fireheart
04-21-2009, 02:57 AM
I actually saw it in Final Fantasy X. Tidus (the protagonist) has a similar design but it's more how the pants are designed for him: one's cut off at the knee, the other's cut off mid-calf.

blas
04-21-2009, 03:27 AM
All I know for sure is, if I see ONE more guy dressed like Adam Lambert from American Idol, I'm going to kick him in the back of the leg. Men should not be wearing skin tight jeans tighter than women do. It's not flattering, no matter how well built or thin you are. It looks stupid.

BookstoreEscapee
04-21-2009, 04:03 AM
I've seen it. Never understood it.

But remember, it's cool to be gangster.

Aramika
04-21-2009, 04:22 AM
I had to wear my pants like that for a while because I had to wear an Aircast for ankle support and I couldn't fit my jeans over it. I've noticed alot of guys on my college campus doing it and have no clue why. It's been bugging me for a while though.

tropicsgoddess
04-21-2009, 05:11 AM

When I was in Middle (Junior High) School in ('95-'98) kids tried to pull that off and get away with it, but our school banned it because they felt it was gang related when really it was an LLCoolJ thing...

McGoddess09
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Please giv me my men and women dressed decently. I don't care if they wear sweatpants and a t-shirt, as long as it matches and doesn't look stupid.

But of course, wearing pants on your hips or waist is uncool.

Jester
04-22-2009, 06:13 AM
LL Cool J wore his pants like that a LOT in the 90s.

He's LL freakin' Cool J. HE can get away with shit like that.

It's almost as bad as the low rise pants with regular rise thongs. Didn't need to see that!

Depends who's wearing it. Sometimes, I really don't mind seeing it. :eyewaggle:

Men should not be wearing skin tight jeans tighter than women do. It's not flattering, no matter how well built or thin you are. It looks stupid.

Again, it depends who's doing it. I pulled off that look for a while (though only occasionally). Lately I don't have a choice, as my waist has made it so that my jeans ARE damn tight on me! (I rarely wear jeans, living in Shortsville USA.)

I had to wear my pants like that for a while because I had to wear an Aircast for ankle support and I couldn't fit my jeans over it.

YOU had a valid reason. These walking pest strips do not.

Please giv me my men and women dressed decently. I don't care if they wear sweatpants and a t-shirt, as long as it matches and doesn't look stupid.

I don't always match. I don't care. I am not a slave to fashion. I wear whatever I want to and/or whatever is clean that day. (Of course, when I dress up, I clean up so well a lot of people think I must be gay.)

blas
04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Jester, I highly doubt you wear your jeans that tight from your waist all the way down to your ankle. Not many girls even wear their jeans that tight all the way down.

Unless you are hiding something. Jester, do you really wear emo pants, aka, girls' skinny jeans? (the kind that are so tight, they aren't even boot cut. They are skin tight all the way down to the ankle).

Do you? I'm afraid if you do, I will have to thwap you with radishes.

the_std
04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
I like it when the right guy wears the painted-on-jeans look. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's so right. I love gender-defying looks, androgyny, blurring the lines between male and female... I don't feel that there is any look out there that should be restricted to one gender. Even mini-dresses and hot pants!

McGoddess09
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't always match. I don't care. I am not a slave to fashion. I wear whatever I want to and/or whatever is clean that day. (Of course, when I dress up, I clean up so well a lot of people think I must be gay.)

It's not even so much an issue, unless you are wearing polka dotted pants and a striped shirt. Colors don't have to match. I think all colors look good together. You can never go wrong with a pair of jean pants or shorts.

Jester
04-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Jester, I highly doubt you wear your jeans that tight from your waist all the way down to your ankle. Not many girls even wear their jeans that tight all the way down.

Unless you are hiding something. Jester, do you really wear emo pants, aka, girls' skinny jeans? (the kind that are so tight, they aren't even boot cut. They are skin tight all the way down to the ankle).

Do you? I'm afraid if you do, I will have to thwap you with radishes.

I'm sorry, WHAT? I just thought y'all were talking about tight jeans, i.e., tight around the butt and crotch. Skin tight all the way down? Um, no. Not even no. HELL no! I seriously had no idea that THAT was what was being discussed.

So please, for the sake of the children, put down the radishes and slowly back away.

BethB
04-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Radishes???

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Yes, evidently thwapping you with radishes is now Blas' way of telling you "Excuse me good sir or ma'am, but I have a bone to pick with you."

I got mine earlier this evening. I say it was worth it. :D

Jester
04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't like radishes. Though a while back I found out that radish GREENS aren't bad for certain things.

blas
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh whew, Jester, you just took a lot of worry off of my shoulders. I was worried there for a while!

I have no issue with men wearing fitted jeans...because some guys have really nice asses from working out....but skin tight all the way down....ugh.....just watch American Idol next week and keep a close eye on Adam Lambert's attire. Just disgusting.

sms001
04-24-2009, 01:12 AM
....but skin tight all the way down....ugh.....

My mom once told me that for quite a while it was the fashion to get the tightest jeans you could fit into, put them on, and then climb into a tub of the hottest water you could stand, then wear them until they dried so they would be as absolutely form fitting as possible. (Pre-lycra blends days, obviously.) Yikes. I didn't dare ask how they got them on and off again. :)

RootedPhoenix
04-24-2009, 02:34 AM
Yikes. I didn't dare ask how they got them on and off again. :)

:eek: Or even how they breathed..or anything, really. Wow.

Kheldarson
04-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Was writing a fanfic in high school (don't ask. i'm claiming it as a dark period in my writing) and did some research on gang signs/symbols and the pants leg thing came up as a way of signifying which gang you were in. Don't know how true it was but...*shrugs*

DGoddessChardonnay
04-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Not only have I never seen this, I've never even HEARD of it.

Sounds like something braindead fashionista idiots would do, though.

I'd say it's right down there with guys wearing their pants hanging below their ass and a belt around their legs and showing off their boxers.

Double "boner" points if they're wearing 2 pairs of boxers . . . . I bet that smells really good.:rolleyes:

Even worse is when the GIRLS are doing this. Saw one just last Saturday evening walking past the house. Bright green boxers she was showing off too. And a tank top w/no bra and a stocking cap over her head. . . . we thought it was a guy at first but then we got a better look and it was a GIRL. :doh:

I'm sure they heard me and my Mom laughing ourselves stupid at them. As they walked back past the house a short time later, neither she or the girl with her (who was actually dressed halfway decent) wouldn't even dare look over toward our direction.:lol:

BethB
04-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Radishes understood!