PDA

View Full Version : Things you just can't be an impartial judge of

sanchopanza65
04-21-2009, 02:20 AM
(If this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it)

Everybody has some things that they like too much to judge fairly. I mean, no matter what, you're going to like them. What are those things for you?

Mine:
Things based off of H.P. Lovecraft Stories
Anything related to "The Simpsons"
"Hello! Project" albums
Books by Stephen King, Oe Kenzaburo, or Harlan Ellison

Amina516
04-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Anything with Hello Kitty...;) SOOO CUTE!!!

(yeah, mine is lame...sorry...)

AnaKhouri
04-21-2009, 02:49 AM
It's OK Amina, I'm right there with you.

I'm a rabid fan of the manga/anime Ghost in the Shell universe, so I'll read/watch anything to do with that, no matter what it is.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
04-21-2009, 04:30 AM
To be honest, I can't think of anything I like so much that I couldn't be impartial about it.

Although at the moment, I'm enamored with the idea of creating scented hemorrhoid creams, named "Gee Your Ass Smells Terrific!"

Buglady
04-21-2009, 04:33 AM
I freely admit to having the tastes and attention span of your average six year old who's just had an entire Starbucks frappuccino, so I can't think of anything either :p

Kiwi
04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
anything to do with marilyn monroe

other things related to fratching

Becks
04-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Otters.

They are just soooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!

RootedPhoenix
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Pianos and cats for me.

draggar
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm a rabid fan of the manga/anime Ghost in the Shell universe, so I'll read/watch anything to do with that, no matter what it is.

There's a universe for that now? When I last saw it (when I last watched anime) it was just the one movie (which I have on VHS). Wow I'm out of it.

As for not being able to be an impartial judge - Anything that has to do with the Yankees - GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! :)

Sad to say but I think I will like any Star Trek movie - but (and I'm going to scare most D&D addicts with this) anything Spelljammer.

edible_hat
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
There's a universe for that now? When I last saw it (when I last watched anime) it was just the one movie (which I have on VHS). Wow I'm out of it.

At the time there was also the manga that the movie is based on. Now there's (at least) one more movie, two seasons of a TV series, and a lot more manga.

AnaKhouri
04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Plus four novels. And a movie that is incorporated into the TV series. :p

LibraryLady
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I have no problem with most popular cultural phenomena. Live and let live.

'Hello, Kitty" and things of that ilk leave me cold. It's the kind of cute that's so saccharine it can induce artificial diabetes. Frankly, I find it a little creepy, but that's just me. I have similar feelings about the violence in Manga and Anime. If you enjoy it, fine. It just isn't my cup of tea.

I do have problems being impartial with some forms of alternative medicine because these things can cause people real harm.

I had two friends who were both diagnosed with aggressive forms of cancer. Both used alternative treatments but they did it in different ways.

One, who now has been cancer-free for ten years, did use types of alternative medicine but he did it with the knowledge of his Oncologist and he did it in tandem with traditional chemo and radiation therapy.

The other decided that Western medicine had nothing to offer him. He jumped full into the apricot pit and was dead within the year.

I try to keep an open mind but sometimes, it's difficult to do so.

JoitheArtist
04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Madeleine L'Engle's books. I will love them no matter what--she's been too much of an influence on my mind and heart to ever be objective about her writing.

Bella_Vixen
04-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Otters.

They are just soooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!

I have 479 pictures here on my computer for you.

ETA: and some hedgehogs. :wave:

GingerBiscuit
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Anything made by Bethesda or one of their subsidiaries. I have loved all the games I've played from them, and thus will forgive them anything. ANYTHING.

Their CEO could probably be caught fisting kittens on the streets of new york (only comic geeks will get that reference) and I would still love them. "Well, maybe it was research for the new game! Damn, if that's the case they're really putting their all into it! The new game is going to be AWESOME!"

sarasquirrel
04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
squirrels!

Boggles
04-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Music and films featured the god that is meat loaf.

I am proud to admit that I own every album (on Vinyl and CD), every vinyl picture disc, most of the special edition CD's, most of the single releases (on vinyl and cd). And also the associated memorabilia such as T-shirts, tour books, beer mats, condoms, guitar picks and assorted other junk.

I even pre-ordered the DVD of Bloodrayne when it was released.

HorrorFrogPrincess
04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Alcohol. If it ain't single malt Scotch, it's not as good.

I'll still drink it, but it's not as good.

dalesys
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Bookses.
Musicses.
My preciouses.:lol:

unholypet
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh god..

Anything by Anne McCaffrey (and her son Todd's co-written books)
-or Mercedez Lackey
Valkyrie Profile (original)
Tekken
Final Fantasy (minus the ungodly ugg-child 12)
Mozart or Beethoven
Opeth or Dog Fashion Disco
Star Trek, and Star Wars
Tony Hawk's video games
Skechers work boots
My car!
I have a large amount of workplace pride
Weaponry, not counting guns (way too impersonal and sissy, to me)
Socks
Any of the anime/manga I own (big list =p)
Patrick Stewart

4love
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Let's see...
anything Kingdom Hearts- luvs it forever
harps
Princess Tutu
anything by Studio Ghibli
Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" books- I won't hear a word against them.
I don't like hospitals. I always feel bad when I'm in one- even when I'm visiting someone else.

There's probably more but that's all I can come up with for now.

Geek King
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
To be honest, I think I've grown out of the fanboi defense of the things I like. I can talk about the good things, while admitting to the bad. Now, I will passonately defend things that are unfairly ripped on, such as beating the next person I hear complaining about physics in anime (although I do it too, sometimes :D). But overall, I can admit that nothing is perfect.

Except kitties. Kitties are awesome.

AdminAssistant
04-24-2009, 07:26 PM
To be honest, I think I've grown out of the fanboi defense of the things I like.

Me too. I mean, there's stuff I LOVE. NCIS, Amanda Palmer, my WiiFit, Mama's Garden pizza from Wheat State (one of the best things in Kansas, imo). But if you don't like it, oh well. :shrug:

JoitheArtist
04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Another one:

SONIC. The nectar of the gods that is their cherry limeade. The ambrosia that is a Sonic Burger with mayo. *drools*

Plaidman
04-24-2009, 10:38 PM
A small list.

Batman
Spiderman
Kitties
Dungeons and Dragons
McGoddess
Terminator Universe. (Yes, that includes the 3 movie, and the TV series. They both rocked!)

McGoddess09
04-24-2009, 10:40 PM
My sister
Plaidman
My friends
Harry Potter
my puddy tats
nature

LibraryLady
04-25-2009, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=Boggles;544850]Music and films featured the god that is meat loaf.

/QUOTE]

The month was February.

The year was 1993.

It was a rainy, blustery and wintry night in Paris.

I had the kind of cold that makes your head want to explode.

One of the few channels I could get on the TV in my hotel room was a music video channel.

There he was, Meat Loaf! His music was like Chicken soup to my soul (without the saccharine books)

He soothed me. His music helped me sleep and gave me the courage to hit the Louvre once again before I had to go home.

I might be overstating things a bit but, I do believe that Meat-Loaf healed me.

CaroPhoenix
04-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Sherlock Holmes.

The Books.
The Movies.
The TV Shows.

My favorite actor to portray Sherlock Holmes? Jeremy Brett (http://c.imagehost.org/0503/JeremyBrett.jpg).

The Monkees!

Duran Duran

A few others that I can't think of right now.

BethB
04-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Mi familia(always and forever)
Pirates!! (you know you love Jack!)
Chowder-the cartoon, not the...uh...chowder
Penguins of Madagascar
Final Fantasy VII and its prequels, sequels, ect. and Cloud Strife(he's so quiet and awesome)
Colorado Rockies baseball

Fox One
04-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Anything made by Chevrolet.
Anything made by Crafstman/Snap-On/B&D.
Anything relating to muscle cars/my Camaro.

Logically, I know it's kinda silly...GM's floundering financially and hasn't made a decent sports car since discontinuing the Camaro in '02. But still, I love.

cslater
04-26-2009, 01:55 AM
Films with Robert Downey Jr. Or with Emma Thompson.
The Terminator films (first two)
Stephen King, especially the stories and shorter novels.
Bill Bryson's travel books.
Ice cream flavors with marshmallow fluff.

cslater
04-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Joitheartist: I agree about Madeleine L'Engle. I reread A Wrinkle In Time every couple of years. Magic.