PDA

View Full Version : Dinner tonight

Nurian
04-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Steamed Orange Roughy fillets, sliced oven-roasted potatoes, and boiled fresh green beans a la Nurian.

Bon appetit!

SG15Z
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
mmmhhmhmmmmmmm! Man that sounds good!! I wonder what we're having? *leaves computer to go bug parents about dinner*

lupo pazzesco
04-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Baked cod over spinach with a tomato/parmesan ragu. Served with basil sauteed zucchini and fresh sweet corn.

Yours sounds uber tasty, though. Mayhaps I can request the the recipe? At least for the fish and green beans. Lurve fresh green beans! lurve lurve lurve!!

Bandit
04-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Cheated tonight - Multigrain thin-crust 5-cheese pizza with sausage. Mmmmmm!

B

McGoddess09
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I had an early dinner of frozen pizza with extra cheese. I was so hungry, I ate the whole thing.

I need to stop that.

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Sounds like we're having ribs! :)

Not sure what else as we have a wide arrange of choices for sides. Maybe some mashed potatoes or something. We'll see.

And of course some good ole' sweet iced tea to wash it all down! :)

Nurian
04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
The fish is just Orange Roughy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Roughy) fillets steamed in a steamer for 25 minutes. I have to be careful with fish as my wife is sometimes allergic. We're not always certain what sets it off, so I keep it basic.

My green beans:
Farm-fresh greenbeans
~1 quart of vegetable stock (water if unavailable)
1 can of tomato sauce (I prefer to make my own, but I usually don't have hours to devote :D)
Garlic (~1/3 clove pressed and crushed, but powdered works)
Salt, Pepper, very little chile powder (for kick)

Boil the beans in the stock over medium heat. In a separate pan, mix sauce and garlic and simmer, covered. Drain beans, add sauce. Mix in spices to taste.

It took me awhile to get this right. This is my mother's recipe that I'm doing from memory. My wife loves it.

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 12:14 AM
The fish is just Orange Roughy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Roughy) fillets steamed in a steamer for 25 minutes. I have to be careful with fish as my wife is sometimes allergic. We're not always certain what sets it off, so I keep it basic.

My green beans:
Farm-fresh greenbeans
~1 quart of vegetable stock (water if unavailable)
1 can of tomato sauce (I prefer to make my own, but I usually don't have hours to devote :D)
Garlic (~1/3 clove pressed and crushed, but powdered works)
Salt, Pepper, very little chile powder (for kick)

Boil the beans in the stock over medium heat. In a separate pan, mix sauce and garlic and simmer, covered. Drain beans, add sauce. Mix in spices to taste.

It took me awhile to get this right. This is my mother's recipe that I'm doing from memory. My wife loves it.

.....Can I come over for dinner! :D

Man that sounds really good.

RecoveringKinkoid
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I made some pork tenderloin in the slow cooker today. Cooked it with fresh greenbeans, mushrooms, and baby carrots, and seasoned the whole thing with ginger, garlic, and white wine.

Had a spinach salad with the best spinach I've ever eaten, grown by my dad. Snow peas and cukes, with blue cheese dressing.

I was real happy with how everything turned out. :)

Nurian
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't know. You are a Dynamo fan, after all :P

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know. You are a Dynamo fan, after all :P

Indeed I am! :D

How can I not be?! It's the only good winning team Houston has!

Nurian
04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Touche'. I'm a Wizard's fan however :D

sanchopanza65
04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
My family ended up driving through Wendy's. They weren't expecting me home for dinner, but we did get free ice cream from Ben and Jerry's beforehand.

SengaKitty
04-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm throwing together a roast with potatoes and sauteed onions... Didn't think anyone would actually take me up on dinner and someone has!

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Touche'. I'm a Wizard's fan however :D

Good for you! At least my team won the MLS cup more than once. :p :D

Nurian
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm throwing together a roast with potatoes and sauteed onions... Didn't think anyone would actually take me up on dinner and someone has!

and you say you're alone :)

Hey, cut me some slack. What else does KC have to offer?

AdminAssistant
04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Ummm...I could accidentally get lost and ask for directions at your place...right? I mean, you'd share your green beans with a poor, lost, hungry college student...right?

:D I keeeed, I keeeed.

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok it's offcial. We're having ribs with Velveeta shells and cheese with green beans! Mmhhmmmm, it smells so good! I can't wait for it to be ready! This is one of the few reasons living at home isn't so bad. Free good food!! :)

Becks
04-22-2009, 03:44 AM
I made chili. :D

Jester
04-22-2009, 05:00 AM
For my after-work dinner at about 6 pm I ate at The Bar, having a small caesar salad and a pizza steak--Philly cheese steak on a real Amoroso roll (ask anyone from Philly) with provolone cheese, grilled onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, and marinara sauce, and washed it all down with two ice-cold bottle of Yuengling Lager.

For dessert I played video crack, aka Mega Touch. Tai Play had me in its clutches.

ArcticChicken
04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Philly cheese steak on a real Amoroso roll (ask anyone from Philly) with provolone cheese, grilled onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, and marinara sauce

A general rule of thumb is that if they have to say "Philly Cheesesteak" especially if the words "real" or "genuine" are included, then it's not a real cheesesteak. But if it's really on an Amoroso roll, I'm willing to admit the possibility.

Personally I like my cheesesteaks with american cheese, fried onions, jalapeno peppers, and ketchup.

For dinner I had a tuna melt on a bagel and salt and vinegar potato chips.

LibraryLady
04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Home-made Lasagna with my secret sausage sauce, garlic bread and a green salad with beets, walnuts and goat cheese.

CaroPhoenix
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Child Rum & I are having (canned) corn beef hash and over easy eggs.

Mr. Rum is going to have to fend for himself. :shrug:

goldaries13
04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Tonight, it's ziti with garlic bread for me, chicken and rice soup for the Dane, and my mother will be too busy ranting in the corner about how neither of these things is real food to eat.

Boggles
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I had Asian Baked Salmon like what the Barefoot Contessa did on the tv and a plain side salad.

lupo pazzesco
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Tonight it's sauteed scallops in an italian style ratatoullie, over whole wheat fettucini, and probably a side salad. Scallops are thawing right now, and ready to be prepped! Om nom nom.

Mr. Rager!
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I think after class I am going to stop at Buffalo Wild Wings, grab some boneless wings with mild sauce (I'm weak) and ranch.

lupo pazzesco
04-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I did end up having a nice salad with my scallops and pasta. Tastiness!

Though I do feel that I want salmon. Mayhaps tomorrow...

Nurian
04-23-2009, 12:26 AM
I just FIDO'ed and ordered pizza and wings. I don't feel like cooking today.

SengaKitty
04-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Think I'm just gonna make some tuna helper for supper, with some green peas or hominy...

RecoveringKinkoid
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Coupla ribeyes, seasoned with garlic, butter, red pepper, and Cuervo Black tequilla. Steamer bag with brocolli, carrots, and cauliflower. Lotsa butter.

Man, my new(ish) oven broils a steak so nice. Seriously, I'm so glad we went ahead and splurged on that. Broils hotter than my old oven. Steaks turn out better than if I'd grilled them outside. Yum.

lupo pazzesco
04-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Man, my new(ish) oven broils a steak so nice. Seriously, I'm so glad we went ahead and splurged on that. Broils hotter than my old oven. Steaks turn out better than if I'd grilled them outside. Yum.

LUCKY!!!

My apartment came equipped with an oven and fridge. Both are about as old as me, I think...They work decently enough, but the oven temp is touchy sometimes. And the broiler? No matter where I put the rack I have to almost literally sit on the kitchen floor and open it at 1 minute intervals to make sure nothing burns...

Eh, still manage to work well enough. I got an actual thermometer for the inside of my oven for the temp issues, and it works for me.

RecoveringKinkoid
04-23-2009, 02:49 AM
This is pretty much the stove (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=296231-2251-FEFL69HC&lpage=none), except mine does have a convection oven. Glad I got it when I did, evidently they don't have the exact stove anymore.

I thought I didn't really need a convection oven, but it's AMAZING. Ever have baked hamburgers? You convection bake some burgers and you'll never do them any other way after that. Just seals in all the moisture. Just great.

Talked the husband into splurging on a nicer stove than we planned on buying and let me tell you, he's not sorry.

Jester
04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
A general rule of thumb is that if they have to say "Philly Cheesesteak" especially if the words "real" or "genuine" are included, then it's not a real cheesesteak. But if it's really on an Amoroso roll, I'm willing to admit the possibility.

Generally speaking, you are correct.

However, The Bar has a significant tie to Philadelphia. The Owner and the GM (Boss Man) and much of the staff is from Philly. Owner made a point when The Bar opened of having the cooks go up to Philly and being trained at Geno's on how to make a cheesesteak. He made a point of having Amoroso rolls shipped to us on a regular basis. As any Philadelphian will tell you, it can't be a real Philly cheesesteak without a real Amoroso roll. We also have Cheese Whiz (and three other cheeses to choose from if you're not a fan of the Whiz). And we use real sirloin, which we shave on premises. And of course, the grilled onions. (Or as you Philly folks say, "fried onions." Anyone outside of Philly thinks "fried onions" are going to be deepfried, which these are not.)

Now, I don't claim to be from Philly (Phoenix is nowhere near it), nor do I claim that a pizza steak is an authentic Philly (it isn't). But after two years at this Philly-tied bar, I dare say I know more about Philly cheesesteaks than the majority of non-Philadelphians, and perhaps more than some from even the City of Brotherly Love. (Some...not many.)

I used to think that Cheese Whiz on a cheesesteak sounded repulsive. When I started working at The Bar, being the kind of guy that will try anything, figured I would try a steak with Whiz, since I had heard about it for years from Philly folks. I knew, of course, that I would hate it. I was, naturally, quite wrong. These days, except for the occasional pizza steak (which I have with provolone), my steaks have to have Whiz and onions. Mmmm....yummy.

Aside of all this Philliness, tonight for dinner I had barbecue burger sliders. My head chef rocks!

ArcticChicken
04-23-2009, 04:07 AM
However, The Bar has a significant tie to Philadelphia.

Good, now I know where to get a decent cheesesteak in Florida. Doesn't actually help me, 'cause Mom's house is in Stuart (On the Treasure Coast, about 2 hours from Miami), but the knowledge that if I was really really desperate, I could hop in the car and drive for, what is it, 5 hours all told?, and get myself a cheesesteak makes me feel more at home.

On that note, for diner I had a spicy chicken sammich from checkers as I was sprinting between gates at the Atlanta airport. Crimminy, that place is big.

SG15Z
04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Today we had leftovers from the last two nights. :D I'm normally not a fan of leftovers, but I was hungry today!

Jester
04-23-2009, 05:37 AM
the knowledge that if I was really really desperate, I could hop in the car and drive for, what is it, 5 hours all told?, and get myself a cheesesteak makes me feel more at home.

I'm not really sure where Stuart is (though I've heard of it), but barring major traffic, a holiday weekend, or an accident blocking US1, Key West is about a three hour drive from Miami.

ArcticChicken
04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
but barring major traffic, a holiday weekend, or an accident blocking US1, Key West is about a three hour drive from Miami.

Five hours it is then. It took us about two hours to drive down to visit my aunt in Miami, last time.

Becks
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Anyone outside of Philly thinks "fried onions" are going to be deepfried, which these are not.)

In my world, the only time onions are deep fried is when they are onion rings.

:shrug:

AdminAssistant
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM

:shrug:

Becks,

There are also those things that they put on top of green bean casserole. I occasionally put in some onion when I make fried potatoes - but I guess that could technically be considered a saute and not a fry.

lupo pazzesco
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
RK, just so you know, I lust after your stove unit. Just throwing that out there. When I finally get my dream kitchen, the appliances will be black and silver, and that stove...it's just.... :worship:

Ahem, back OT...I'm having leftovers!! Leftover scallops and veggies over whole wheat pasta with a side salad. Om nom nom!!! Shower first though. All sweaty and icky...

Jester
04-24-2009, 06:36 AM

Ah, but there are so many ways to deep fry onions. The Bloomin' Onion at Outback (and its similar cousins at other chains) is a great example. Then there are "onion straws," which are very thinly sliced deep-fried onions, often served with steaks or a beef dish.

Etc, etc.

draftermatt
04-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm going to the Orioles v Rangers game at Camden Yards tonight. So I'm thinking some Boog's Barbecue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2532700

Becks
04-24-2009, 05:20 PM
AdminAssistant and Jester-- I know. I was being bratty yesterday.

Sorry.

SG15Z
04-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm having leftovers again. But tomorrow, who knows?! I'll be out with friends so probably JIB, Taco Bell, or Whataburger. maybe...

lupo pazzesco
04-25-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm having leftovers again. But tomorrow, who knows?! I'll be out with friends so probably JIB, Taco Bell, or Whataburger. maybe...

Mmmm...fast food....

Must resist!! I'm doing so well on being healthy and crap!

Anyhoo, dinner for me was whole wheat pasta with a light tomato sauce and moza cheese. I was feeling lazy...didn't feel like actually cooking that much. Tomorrow I'm gonna throw some schtuff in the crock pot. Kinda wish I had more than one of those suckers so I can do big batch cooking, all in one go and have food set for a good while. <sigh>

SG15Z
04-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Mmmm...fast food....

Must resist!! I'm doing so well on being healthy and crap!

Healthy?! What's that?! :p

lupo pazzesco
04-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Healthy?! What's that?! :p

shaddap, you...

:p

SG15Z
04-25-2009, 01:59 AM
shaddap, you...

:p

What?! I didn't say anything! :angel:

ArcticChicken
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
In the depths of the boards I lurk. Fleeting from shadow to shadow, i work my black arts. With a wave of my hand and a puff of sulfur, it rises from the deeps to cast its shadow on the boards.

For, lo, I am THE THREADCROMANCER!!!!!! Bwa hahahahaha!!!

Any way, I'm making Garlic Balsamic chicken breast, sweet potato fries, and salad with orange balsamic dressing.

For dessert there will be vanilla ice cream topped with honey, crystallized ginger and chai whipped cream.

lupo pazzesco
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
For, lo, I am THE THREADCROMANCER!!!!!! Bwa hahahahaha!!!

:rotflmao:

<gasppantwheeze> Heeeeeeeeee...

And yet...still no rule #1 violation! Nyah!!! Go me!!

Any way, I'm making Garlic Balsamic chicken breast, sweet potato fries, and salad with orange balsamic dressing.

For dessert there will be vanilla ice cream topped with honey, crystallized ginger and chai whipped cream.

Sounds yummy!

I'm making a shrimp stir fry with lots of veggies. Dessert hasn't been decided, but as I don't have much in the way of sweets around...probably jello. I know, I know, it's SO decadent. :p

CaroPhoenix
06-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm having Chuck E. Cheese pizza tonight. It's a fund raiser night for Child Rum's school. Yay. Plain old ordinary, not-very-good pepperoni pizza. :cry: I want real food dangnabbit!

Jester
06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Yesterday's dinner was amusing. I wanted something healthy and not heavy, so I went to the salad bar at the local grocery store, which is amazing. And I built myself a lovely chicken and spinach salad. And loaded it up.

I didn't realize how much I loaded it up until I checked out and saw that the salad had come to over $10! :wtf: The salad bar is only $5.99 a pound! How much salad could I have gotten?

1.75 POUNDS of produce! And yes, I ate the whole damn thing. (And that weight is before I added on the dressing that I had at home.) ERP!

Tonight's dinner? Well, it's my traditional birthday dinner at my favorite local sushi restaurant, which only happens to be the Greatest Sushi Restaurant On The Planet. (Read that with a deep bass voice and lots of reverb.....)

I shall feast on the bounty of the sea! :cheers:

PepperElf
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
a small lamb steak
marinated in mint sauce & honey.

(the mint sauce smells a lot like vinegar mixed with mint, but tasty)

and some rice, with mint sauce added, and some veggies added to it too.
(ok the rice is a bit weird, but the meat tasted good)

Nurian
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes and cheesy broccoli. Love the classics :D

MaggieTheCat
06-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I currently have dinner on the stove as we speak, which consists of a chicken honey stir fry and rice. I load the stir fry up with lots of veggies: celery, onion, carrot, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, bean sprouts, mushrooms, pineapple, and mandarin oranges. And then dump a delicious orange/honey/soy sauce over it and let it simmer till thick. And serve it with cashews. It is DELISH. And I can really load the veggies on without the boyfriend complaining too much! (He's kinda picky about what veggies he likes.)

Food Lady
06-09-2009, 05:19 AM
sweet potato fries Recipe, please? Mine always come out, uh, floppy.

iradney
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Last night, I made a curried sweet potato soup. Don't make the mistake I did and use the HOT curry powder *sweats bullets*

400 g sweet potatoes
1 large clove garlic
80 g butter
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 chicken stock cube (or veggie stock)
milk
bacon (optional - I never use it)

Slice the potato, crush the garlic. Put in a microwaveable dish with the butter and curry powder. Microwave on high till soft, then smush it up. Add the stock cube and enough milk to make it a thin liquid. I find mashing it up, then adding the milk and putting it through a blender works quite nicely.

If you use the bacon, cook it till crispy and crumble it on top of the soup. Very nice!

Jester
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
bacon (optional - I never use it)

Bacon makes everything better!

Not only do I believe that, but a while back my friend Little Red got me a t-shirt that says that exact thing, WITH two strips of bacon dancing on it. :lol:

bookworm
06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Bacon makes everything better!

Not only do I believe that, but a while back my friend Little Red got me a t-shirt that says that exact thing, WITH two strips of bacon dancing on it. :lol:

Just for you - http://www.oddee.com/item_96679.aspx bacon products!

CaroPhoenix
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM

I want the bacon wallet and maybe the bacon mints. :roll:

Tonight we're going to have Nathan's Hot Dogs and umm ... something to go with them ... Not sure yet. :D

Last night we had a soy burger (topped with colby jack cheese), long grain & wild rice mushroom flavored Uncle Ben's rice, and carrots/green beans/zucchini in a rosemary butter sauce (at least according to the box).

Jester
06-12-2009, 02:36 AM

Classic stuff there!

Yes, I like them. I am, after all, the guy that went to a bacon-themed cookoff and served bacon-wrapped bacon on a stick with bacon dressing for dipping. :wave:

I'm a baaaaaaddd Jew! :lol:

ArcticChicken
06-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Recipe, please? Mine always come out, uh, floppy.

I cheated and used a bag of fries from the freezer.

But when I make them myself I take some sweet potatoes, wash them, peel them, cut them into whatever shapes I feel like, toss them in a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and bake them in the oven until they're done.

I don't have any advice if you fry them, but if you bake them try a higher temp for less time, actually, that'll probably work if you fry them, too.

(yes, I know, I know, how can they be french fries if they're not fried, to which I say *thhbbbbbt*)

I'm a baaaaaaddd Jew! :lol:

Join the club!

DGoddessChardonnay
06-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Tonight's menu was:

Chicken Nuggets
Mashed Taters
Fried Squash
Cornbread

Mom gets to cook tomorrow night . . . I'll be on strike.:angel:

AdminAssistant
06-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Tonight's menu was:

Chicken Nuggets
Mashed Taters
Fried Squash
Cornbread

Can I come to your house? That sounds sooooo good.

:(

lupo pazzesco
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Dinner tonight is a parmesan basil turkey burger under the broiler, topped with bruschetta. Servied with an eggplant tomato gratin, with homemade tomato basil sauce.

I felt very kitchen goddess-y today... >.>

Jester
06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I have to tell you what my dinner was Friday, as I had TWO great dinners.

When I got off work, before I had to head home to change for my niece's graduation, I had the taco salad at The Bar, and we have one of the greatest taco salads around (at least on the East Coast). Washed that down with a couple of Yuengling Lagers, and I was a happy guy.

Later, after graduation, I met up with several friends at a local bar, and along with three Abita Ambers and an Irish Car Bomb (all yummy!), I had that bar's potato soup, which is the best on the planet, and then one of their monthly specials, a macaroni and cheese with bacon and veggies that was out of this world (except for the cauliflower, which I just picked out). For those of you who are wondering, yes, bacon makes mac and cheese just AWESOME!

Nurian
06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Steak, corn and baked potato. Awesome :D

NorthernZel
06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Today we just had my home-invented Cream n' Curry Chicken Korma with rice, mushrooms and spring onions. Yummy.

SG15Z
06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Well I'm about to have homemade bday cake. :D As for dinner, idk, whatever I feel like getting after I get off work.

DGoddessChardonnay
06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Can I come to your house? That sounds sooooo good.

:(

Too bad you couldn't make it over last night . . . USA had an all day NCIS marathon until 11pm. Even the eps I hadn't seen before were good.:D

Last night was:

Fried hotdogs (sliced in half)
mashed taters
baked beans

So much for being on strike, so I basically had my strike day today and let Mom do the cooking . . .

Pork Chops
fried cabbage
potato salad

Don't ask me about tomorrow night . . .. I won't even know until after I get home from work and how I feel.:lol:

edible_hat
06-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Roast pork cooked in a Romertopf (http://www.roemertopf.de/english/) clay baking dish which we got as a wedding present. (They're very expensive and until now I've been scared to use it in case I break it)