PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha reading?

Severen13
04-22-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm reading "The Poet" by Michael Connelly.

...and you?

SG15Z
04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm reading the forums! :D :p

Aethian
04-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Forums and I just got into the "Haunted Bookship Mystery" (http://www.coffeehousemysteries.com/) books. So far there are five books out with a sixth coming soon. I have four of the five and just realized I'm missing the third book, meh. So far so good and I'm loving the mild romance thrown in.

Amina516
04-22-2009, 03:50 AM
Vellum - by I forget...lol.
Ink Exchange - Melissa Marr
Some good old H.P Lovecraft..:)
A World of Warcraft Trilogy

Yes, Im reading all 4 at the same time. Yes, Im just that damn good..(or I have ADD....):p

JoitheArtist
04-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Oh geez, what all am I reading now... Irrational Season by Madeleine L'Engle, Interview With A Vampire, Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tale of Two Cities...couple others, I forget what...

Ringtail Z28
04-22-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm currently finishing up "Titanicus" by Dan Abnett. After that I have no idea, and am a little bummed by that.

Bella_Vixen
04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Since I last posted in the 50 books thread--

--Mary Queen of Scots and the Isles
-- Queen Victoria From Her Birth To The Death Of The Prince Consort
--Victoria's Daughters
--Where The Red Fern Grows
--Blanche of Castile

and a few others that I don't remember at this moment.

Elspeth
04-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Lets see, reading lately. I seem to be on a history kick again

Doomed Queens
Ancient Rome
Fablehaven
Arabain Nights
about to start Mistborn
plus a few others

I am so glad I am not the only one that reads a lot of books at once

Plus I am on the hunt for Pride and Predjuice and Zombies. But everywhere is backordered, excepts Powell's in Oregon. For some reason the hubby doesn't think I should be going to Oregon to a HUGE used book store. Not sure why, looks around at the piles of books. ooooh maybe that is why :angel:

Jester
04-22-2009, 05:19 AM
I just finished Tim Dorsey's latest, "Nuclear Jellyfish." Anyone who is not familiar with Dorsey, he is sort of like Carl Hiaasen, only funnier and less political. If you like crime and violence and laughs and utter insanity, trust me, check out some Tim Dorsey. First one is "Florida Roadkill," and they only get better from there.

And if you ever bump into Tim during a book signing, just remember....he likes Jack Daniel's on the rocks. (I got him drunk one evening. :lol:)

But everywhere is backordered, excepts Powell's in Oregon. For some reason the hubby doesn't think I should be going to Oregon to a HUGE used book store.

Powell's is one of the two greatest bookstores I have ever been in, the other one being Strand's in New York City.

But I do believe Powell's is online, so you don't actually have to GO there. :devil:

Elspeth
04-22-2009, 05:22 AM
But I do believe Powell's is online, so you don't actually have to GO there. :devil:

It is online. Some how that is worse. I could look in the history section for hours.

Jester
04-22-2009, 05:23 AM
I've actually been TO Powell's. It is a booklover's dream. As is Strand's. :love:

ArcticChicken
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

about to start Mistborn

And now I know what goes on my list after I've re-read the rest of the Miles Vorkosigan books. I just love Brandon Sanderson, I almost want to read the entire Wheel of Time series, just to read the three he's finishing.

AdminAssistant
04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
The Necessity of Theatre
American Alternative Theatre
About 15 different books and articles on Anna Deavere Smith (for a paper)
Living History Museums
An article I'm translating

How many weeks of school are left? Because I'm losing my MIND!!!!!! :cry: :(

(And coming up, approximately 60 3-5 page papers will be added to the pile. YAY.)

4love
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, which I hope to finish before my 40th birthday (am currently in my mid-twenties) :lol:
The Survivor's Club, by Ben Sherwood
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga, 2nd Edition
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

And I am this close to giving in and starting Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series. Oh yeah, and my sister's copy of Inkdeath is sitting in the to-read pile. I should read that so I can return it; it's only been sitting there for four months. :ashamed:

Shangri-laschild
04-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm currently rereading the Dresden books. I just finished book 7 last night and am trying to hurry since I haven't read the new one yet. I'm waiting and reading them in order.

CaroPhoenix
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I just finished:

Little Miss Star and If you were a penguin. Okay, I read them to Child Rum, but I still read them! :lol:

I'm currently reading The Mistress in the Art of Death. Can't remember the author. Picked it up at the Bargain Book Bin at the local grocery store.

I also just finished Issue #9 of the comic "Man With No Name".

Geek King
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm currently rereading the Dresden books. I just finished book 7 last night and am trying to hurry since I haven't read the new one yet. I'm waiting and reading them in order.

You will not be disappointed. I'll leave it at that for now. :D

Currently reading The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks and working through a Games magazine.

Shangri-laschild
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
You will not be disappointed. I'll leave it at that for now. :D

That's what I've heard which is why I'm trying to speed through them as much as possible :D

HorrorFrogPrincess
04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga, 2nd Edition

There are SOOO many better manga instruction books out there. The best drawing books are for general cartooning, anyway.

Skulduggery Pleasant: Playing with Fire by Derrick Landy

Re-reading, I should say. I don't get the 4th book until next year, so I need my fix. :lol:

4love
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
There are SOOO many better manga instruction books out there. The best drawing books are for general cartooning, anyway.

Yeah, true- and I have some of them- but I've read them all already and this one was on sale at the store where I work. I guess I need to stop reading how-to books and get back to practicing on a regular schedule.

HorrorFrogPrincess
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I need to stop collecting art books. I have an entire shelf of the things. T-T

Boggles
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
I've just finished Clive Cussler's "Dirk pitt" books.

Next on the list to start in the bath tongiht is Henry Hemming's "In Search of the English Eccentric" which is his guide/tribute to English eccentricities through the ages.

Nothing else waiting at the moment because in a couple of weeks I am off to Northumberland to visit Barter Books (http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/) - one fo the largest second hand bookshops in Europe. I have been twice before and it is an epic all day job hiding hidden treasures!

hinakiba777
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
When Alice Lay Down With Peter by Margaret Sweatman

It's a novel about four generations living through the defining moments in Western Canadian History. Specifically Manitoba. If you don't know the history is makes the book nearly impossible.

When I finish that I will either read Paper Towns by John Green or The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks

sms001
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Irrational Season by Madeleine L'Engle,

How is it? I never got past the fourth(?) Wrinkle in Time book - started getting kind of dry. I really liked the initial writing though.

For me: The Thursday Next series. Yes, my first time - you may all be suitably jealous now. :lol: I very surprised no one brought these up when I asked for "quirky" books last year.

sanchopanza65
04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" by Murakami Haruki. After that, I'm going to do "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

Nurian
04-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm going through the Harry Dresden Novels by Jim Butcher. I just finished Grave Peril and will start on Summer Knight tonight.

I'm also reading Into the Storm: A Study in Command by Tom Clancy.

AnaKhouri
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Startide Rising by David Brin. I enjoyed Sundiver some time ago but this one is better. :)

McGoddess09
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Right now, I am reading Troilus and Cressida by Chaucer and Identical by the same person who wrote Crank (the name escapes me right now.)

After Troilus and Cressida, I'm going to read the Canterbury Tales. I got a book with those two works from the library.

Bardmaiden
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett yet again :D

Aethian
04-23-2009, 12:43 AM
From all of the books you all are reading...makes me feel like I'm a middle school reader in a room with highschooler readers.

ArcticChicken
04-23-2009, 04:20 AM
I just finished book 7 last night and am trying to hurry since I haven't read the new one yet.

I got the new one and read it in a day.

I also need to reread the last couple of Dresden books, I've read the first several four or five times, but the most recent ones I've only read once or twice.

I'm now reading Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem by Louis McMaster Bujold, but I may switch to Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch.

Buglady
04-23-2009, 05:02 AM
"Honeymoon in Purdah" (young woman travelling in Iran); I also have dibs on a copy of "Nine Parts of Desire," Geraldine Brooks' new book about women in Iran, after The Boy's mom finishes it; and I just realized "Reading Lolita in Tehran" is still on my to-be-read shelf. I actually don't know how this cluster of books happened!

Just finished Michael J Fox's "Always Looking Up" - very good :)

Recently read "Bachelor Girls: a history of single women in America," which I really enjoyed. (I'm a social history geek :))

Other than that it has all been school work. Far, far too much of it. Last exam is in 9 hours and REALLY should go to bed!

boringscreenname
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm reading Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Book Got Wrong.

sms001
04-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Startide Rising by David Brin. I enjoyed Sundiver some time ago but this one is better. :)

They whole Uplift series is VERY enjoyable. Rich, complex, thoughtful. I wish it hadn't petered out so blandly....

sms001
04-24-2009, 12:18 AM
From all of the books you all are reading...makes me feel like I'm a middle school reader in a room with highschooler readers.

Don't feel that way Aethian! ANY reading is good reading, and I bet if you see this question asked again in a couple of months the frequency/genres/sophistication of the books being read will vary widely up and down for almost everyone here. I used to feel bad because I often do SF or Fantasy or humor but my work reading is so intense and technical that fun reading has to scale WAY back to be enjoyable.

sms001
04-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm going to read the Canterbury Tales.

Have you read them before? If not, you have got some big laughs coming. :lol: Quite a change-up from T & C.

Bella_Vixen
04-24-2009, 12:31 AM
And I'm starting the Outlander series again. :lol:

ArcticChicken
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I used to feel bad because I often do SF or Fantasy or humor but my work reading is so intense and technical that fun reading has to scale WAY back to be enjoyable.

I don't know if you intended it that way, but that sentence implies that only stupid people read those genres, otherwise why feel bad about reading them.

lupo pazzesco
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
When I actually have time (hahahahaha!!!) I'm making my way through This Book (http://www.amazon.com/New-Killer-Diseases-Evolution-Threatens/dp/1400052750/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240535085&sr=8-1) (The title's entirely too long for me to type!!

I'm also trying to work my way through J.D. Robb's In Death Series. It's only 29 books... (or is it 30...?)

Buglady
04-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Cool, a new disease book! *puts on wishlist*

I have 2 new books, a present from The Boy for writing my last exam (!!!!) today. One is actually the second in a series - Tad Williams' "Shadowplay" - but I am pretty sure my sister has book 1 and I can borrow it. The other is the Nebula Awards Showcase 2009 - I LOVE these, I have read them nearly every year since about 1982 :)

malmalthekiller
04-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I just finished the Lost City of Z, which is about a famous explored called Percy Fawcett that disappeared into the Amazon in 1927 with his son, and was never heard from again. There have apparently been a lot of literature inspired by him (including, some say, Indiana Jones)

It was so good I could barely put it down.

Lace Neil Singer
04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Forty Years Of Murder - Professor Keith Simpson.

I'm reading a lot of true crime at the moment for some reason.

sms001
04-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I used to feel bad because I often do SF or Fantasy or humor but my work reading is so intense and

I don't know if you intended it that way, but that sentence implies that only stupid people read those genres, otherwise why feel bad about reading them.

Nope, I sure didn't, and I don't think it does imply that.

I've long been a staunch defender of the high quality of many genres, especially SF.

My bad feeling came from being less widely read, not the quality of what I was reading. Hence the use of the words 'often' and 'scale back' (words of quantity) rather than 'stoop to' or 'lower myself.'

Believe me, I'm all too aware of the perception my favorite types of fiction invokes in many mainstream readers and would never encourage them. :lol:

sms001
04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" by Murakami Haruki. After that, I'm going to do "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

"After Dark" was recommended to me in my quirky book thread and I absolutely loved it. Sadly, my interlibrary has NO "Wind-Up Bird.." :(

Tad Williams' "Shadowplay" - but I am pretty sure my sister has book 1 and I can borrow it. The other is the Nebula Awards Showcase 2009

I really enjoyed the Otherland series. Any similarities at all? Or is it back closer to the Fantasy of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn?

ArcticChicken
04-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Nope, I sure didn't, and I don't think it does imply that.

Sorry, I was in a terrible mood last night, and interpreting everything negatively. Combine that with one of my hot buttons and.....

Jack T. Chance
04-25-2009, 09:17 AM
This week, I have once again started picking up some of my favorite graphic novels to re-read them... quite probably THE BEST comic book currently being published...

It takes place in world where heroes glide through the sky on lightning bolts and fire. Flamboyant villains attempt daring daylight robberies. God-like alien creatures clash in epic battles over the nighttime sky.

And on the dirty streets below, homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim investigate crimes involving those special beings, those people blessed or cursed with...

POWERS. :cool:

Think Homicide: Life on the Street meets superhero comics. I recommend it not only for those looking for a modern, unique, gritty and mature take on superheroes (especially if in the last year or so, you've read Watchmen and/or Wanted and want to know what to read next that will be as good) but ALSO for anyone that's a fan of police procedurals such as Homicide, Law & Order, and C.S.I. :)

If you've never read Powers and want to try a few issues FOR FREE, then CLICK HERE (http://www.hiddenrobot.com/PDAILY/) to go to Powers Daily and read the first 4-5 story arcs online without spending any money! :)

You'll see the story arcs listed on the left-hand side, in order from top-to-bottom. Start with "Who Killed Retro Girl?" and continue on from there! But be warned: Powers is a MATURE READERS ONLY title that is absolutely NOT for children! It contains explicit dialogue, nudity, sexual situations, graphic violence, and at times, downright GRISLY crime scene images! If any of this stuff offends you, DO NOT READ IT! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

If that warning didn't scare you off, enjoy my recommendation if you choose to take a look! If you've never read Powers before, I envy you the experience of discovering it for the first time! :D

*Goes offline to continue reading Powers*

Aethian
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry, I was in a terrible mood last night, and interpreting everything negatively. Combine that with one of my hot buttons and.....

*pounces and give scritchies and snugs*

Lace Neil Singer
04-25-2009, 10:41 AM
The Birthgrave - Tanith Lee

No-one cept for myself ever seems to have read this author. -.- Brilliant fantasy books, tho.

ArcticChicken
04-25-2009, 01:48 PM
*pounces and give scritchies and snugs*

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Buglady
04-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I really enjoyed the Otherland series. Any similarities at all? Or is it back closer to the Fantasy of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn?

It looks like "Shadowmarch" and "Shadowplay" are more traditional high fantasy rather than the cyberpunk aspect of Otherland (which I really enjoyed). I've actually read very little of Tad Williams' other work besides Otherland and "Tailchaser's Song" - I got rather annoyed with him when the Dragonbone Chair trilogy started stretching out with cliffhanger after cliffhanger.

Buglady
04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
The Birthgrave - Tanith Lee

No-one cept for myself ever seems to have read this author. -.- Brilliant fantasy books, tho.

I've read quite a few of hers. Her earlier work was a bit overwrought (needed some editing to deal with some overuse and misuse of obscure words... that sort of thing bugs me. See "Eva Fairdeath" for an example), but her more recent stuff is fantastic. Her short stories are particularly good.

Slytovhand
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
ATM - page 6 of a thread entitled "Whatcha reading?" on a forum...

Robert A Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange Land', hailed as one of the best SF ever written... I like it!

Thinking about re-reading Earthsea Quintet by Ursula K Le Guin (after having watched the movie), and Chronicles of Morgaine by CJ Cherryh.

Of course, there's my regular reads of OOTS (Order of the Stick), Devil's Panties, and Menagea3 online.

Lace, I recall reading a bit of Tanith Lee's many years ago, but it obviously didn't grab me enough for me to pursue it.

Bramble
04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
My current book is Warriors Power of Three: Long Shadows by Erin Hunter. THe next book needs to hurry up and come out.

Setsunaela
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
i'm currently reading the Thomas Covenant novels, by Sthephen R. Donaldson. my hubby has all of 'em. i think i'm on book 3

AirHostess
04-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I've read 6 novels in the past week to avoid reading university texts-Henry V and The Rover. I'm off on a 3 day work trip now so packed uni books and a Danielle Steele novel.

AdminAssistant
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I've read 6 novels in the past week to avoid reading university texts-Henry V and The Rover. .

Oh, I love The Rover! It's actually a very quick read, and it's easily my favorite Restoration play. Two would-be nuns turned loose at Carnival - fun! I've actually not read Henry V, but it's considered to be one of the best history plays (after Richard III). Once more into the breach, dear friends!!

(PS. There's a very good film version starring Kenneth Branaugh. I'm not advocating watching the movie instead of reading, but it might offer better understanding.)

NightAngel
04-26-2009, 06:24 PM
I just finished the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer and am getting ready to move on to the House of Night Series. Someone also suggested I read the Night Angel Series by Brent Weeks- which actually sounds pretty good.

I was reading The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, however, my Mother stole my copy.

RayvenQ
04-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett
The Vampire Genevieve by Jack Yeovil

and I think I'm going to re-read the Gaunts Ghosts series, by Dan Abnett (11 books of Grim Dark future warfare)

AnaKhouri
04-27-2009, 01:34 AM
i'm currently reading the Thomas Covenant novels, by Sthephen R. Donaldson. my hubby has all of 'em. i think i'm on book 3

I just finished book 3. I had to think about it a while but I thought it was a fitting ending. I don't know if I'm going to move on to the second trilogy or not, though.

Oddly, many of the men I know who have read the first book gave up after about 90 pages or so- after Covenant's crime (you know the one I mean) out of disgust. My husband did. But most of the women who've read it have gotten past that with not trouble. I wonder why? My husband is particularly sensitive to violence against women but I wonder if all male readers feel this way.

Shpepper
04-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Right now I am reading "Brother Odd" by Dean Koontz.

I haven't been reading as much as I used to. I recently quit smoking and I would read and smoke all the time and it's still difficult to sit and just read. But I am getting back to it. I have missed it but not the smokes.

Shangri-laschild
05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Finally finished the Dresden Files. To everyone on here and in person who told me book 11 was amazing, man were you right :)

I also finished Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells and am now on Poltergeist by Kat Richardson which is the second book in the Greywalker series. Also I have Preacher #2

Severen13
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I finished "The Poet" and am now reading "The Black Echo" by the same author, Michael Connelly.

Mr. Rager!
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Not too long ago, I finished a book called The Fighter by Craig Davidson. It was phenomenal. I got it because of what Chuck Palahniuk said about Davidson. I recommend it. I'm going to have to give it to my girlfriend for her to read, I think.

KiaKat
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm currently re-reading two books. HP7 (Deathly Hallows) and Angels & Demons.

Not sure what I'm reading next, though probably something wine-related. I'm taking the first round of sommelier exams this summer.

Geek King
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Now currently reading:

Shadow' Edge by Brent Weeks

Edge Magazine issue #200

Games magazine's most recent issue

dalesys
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Fire In The Mist - Holly Lisle
Warlock - Andre Norton (a triple combination):D Zion's Friction
--- Storm Over Warlock
--- Ordeal In Otherwhere
--- Forerunner Foray

BookstoreEscapee
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, which I hope to finish before my 40th birthday (am currently in my mid-twenties) :lol:

Oh god no! You're giving me flashbacks!!! :runaway:

I'd swear I posted in this thread before...:headscratch:

I just finished The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins, and I am now reading The Blind Watchmaker. And I just got a new Glamour magazine, and I'm working on next week's Time (the 100 most influential people issue) during my lunch breaks.

AnaKhouri
05-06-2009, 02:15 AM
God, how I hated reading The Faerie Queene. And I was an English Lit major! :banghead:

Reading Dumas' "The Black Tulip". Love me some Dumas, though his scientific knowledge is appalling- he calls gold the hardest of the metals!

Red_Dazes
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
"Blood Hound: Becka Cooper" by Tamora Pierce. Interesting story... not as good as the first though :(

AdminAssistant
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Reading Dumas' "The Black Tulip". Love me some Dumas, though his scientific knowledge is appalling- he calls gold the hardest of the metals!

Dumas pere or Dumas fils?

I prefer the father to the son. If I have to read Camille one more time I may kill something!

Boozy
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I usually have three books on the go, so there's always something to pick up no matter what mood I'm in. I like a good piece of fiction, a fluff piece of fiction, and a non-fiction. So right now I've got The Kite Runner, the latest Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse" novel, and Paul Krugman's latest.

But The Kite Runner is so good that I haven't picked up the other two since I started it. I'll be at home tomorrow getting over a cold, so I'll probably have it finished by noon. If anyone's looking for a great read, I can't recommend it enough.

AnaKhouri
05-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Dumas pere or Dumas fils?

Pere. Never read the son. Now, I don't think I ever will. At least not Camille! ;)

AdminAssistant
05-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Pere. Never read the son. Now, I don't think I ever will. At least not Camille! ;)

Camille is the original "hooker with a heart of gold" story. Bleh.

dalesys
05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
God, how I hated reading The Faerie Queene. And I was an English Lit major! :banghead:

Dumas must related to Crichton. Every book of Crichton's I've read at least one blithering idiocy that even cursory research in an encyclopedia would have prevented. Good stories, but unnecessary sloppiness in facts that are thrown in as background.

For example, claiming the C-130 Hercules as the "world's largest airplane".:eek:

BookstoreEscapee
05-07-2009, 12:54 AM

Heh, me too. I took a Spenser and Milton class, which was my first real introduction to literature of that time period. I had a lot of trouble with it. My professor was really great, though (he was the department's Medieval/Renaissance lit guy, and also taught History of the English language). It was a small class and he would go around the table and assign a small section of the poem to each student to do explication. One Saturday I got a message from him on my voicemail saying that he noticed that I was having some trouble and if I wanted to go over my section with him before the next class to call him back, so I did. It was a big help, and for the next class I actually had some intelligent things to say about my section of the poem.

There was an assistant prof at my school who had been a student there, went to grad school elsewhere (no grad program in English at my school), and then got a job there. Sometimes he would sub for my prof as he was also big on Medieval/Renaissance lit. As it happened, my prof missed the next class and this guy sat in for him. We started going through the poem, and when we got to my section, he proceeded to say everything I had written down in my notes. Then he looked at me. I had nothing, and said, "you just said everything I had".... He told me to come up with something else. I was just sitting there, thinking, "You have no idea how much it took for me to come up with this! Jackass!!" :cry:

Also, his favorite words were "extant" and "copacetic"...it's been 12 years and I still can't stand those two words. :rolleyes:

AdminAssistant
05-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Dumas must related to Crichton. Every book of Crichton's I've read at least one blithering idiocy that even cursory research in an encyclopedia would have prevented. Good stories, but unnecessary sloppiness in facts that are thrown in as background.

To be fair, when Dumas was writing (early 19th century) there weren't too many Encyclopedias around.

Geek King
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
To be fair, when Dumas was writing (early 19th century) there weren't too many Encyclopedias around.

No, but even the worst goldsmith could have told him that pure gold is very soft for a solid metal. The greasy feeling it has is actually the metal softening due to your body contact heating it. Its why most gold jewelry is made with mixed alloy gold (18k-22k) rather than pure 24k.

Yeah, I did some gold research when we dealt with circuits and materials used to create them over the years.

ArcticChicken
05-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Camille is the original "hooker with a heart of gold" story. Bleh.

So that's who I have to shoot when I get my time machine.

Currently I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and The Scar by China Mieville.

I've been reading The Scar for about seven months. For some reason I find Mieville as hard to read as Shakespeare, except that if I read Shakespeare out loud it's easier to understand. I'd swear Mieville lives in a reality that's twisted a couple degrees off from my own.

AnaKhouri
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Publisher rep meeting at work today- that means free books for us! My prize is a copy of "Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. It's a vampire novel and I hate vampires, but I admire del Toro enough to give it a chance. The rep said it reads like a movie...big surprise. ;)

LibraryLady
05-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm reading a reprint of Herbert Asbury's "The Gangs of New York". It was originally published in 1927 and I'm enjoying the book immensely.

It was the basis for the movie of the same name that appeared several years ago. Reading it is a great pleasure because I find I know names named in the book and already know something about some of these people.

Yes, they were horrors and the things they did were atrocious but, many of these people are familiar to me from other histories of New York City. I may not want Bill the Butcher or Sadie the Goat as guests at my Dinner table. I may not want to eat a meal at McGuirk's Suicide Hall, but aren't these things fun to read about?

It's especially good when you know that the 'Five Points' is now Chatham Square and you can enjoy excellent Chinese meals there for reasonable prices.

Shangri-laschild
05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Well I finished the second Greywalker book (Poltergeist) by Kat Richardson.

I need to stop going to the bookstore when I'm in a mood though. Bought another huge load of books. Normally I wouldn't say this is a problem, but I already don't have bookshelves for when I move (mine is a built in one right now) and my future roomate is in need of more bookshelf space as it is. I mostly just browsed around and picked up interesting looking books that I hadn't heard of/read before since I usually get lucky when I do that.

I got:
Marvel Runaways (the graphic novel of 1-6 I think)
Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk - Book 2 in this series but I'm letting J read it first since he reads fast
Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover
Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson
Death's Daughter by Amber Benson

Also, I've been told I'm to read The Seafort Saga which sounds interesting.

On the plus side, I'm going to be sitting in a waiting room today waiting for my sister to have her kid, so I'm set on stuff to do.