PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

Kiwi
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Hands up who suffers from allergies?

*puts up hand* I've been noticing it every morning when I first wake up for the last week or so but today it finally hit.

I'm sensitive to pollen and dust (where I live is a freaking dust bowl) well not so much dust per say but the crap thats inside the dust and woke up this morning with a little troll hammering my nose from the inside.... its swollen and red and I'm puffy.... did I mention that a friend I haven't seen for nearly 10 years is coming through where I live on the train today. The FIRST person from NZ to visit me in Canada and I look like someone popped me in the nose!

So I go get my trusty allergy medication.... none left!!!!!

YAY spring, boo allergies *mumbles something about killing all the plants*

Stupid allergies!

SengaKitty
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
-raises hand- I'm dealing with it too. I love the spring and love where I live, because the main plant I'm allergic to really doesn't grow in the city, but I was out in the country the other day. White mustard grows EVERYWHERE at her house... and so I ended up sleeping for 14 hours straight last night/today cause I didn't feel good. Still have a nasty sinus headache :(

AdminAssistant
04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
A friend of mine is dealing with very severe allergies right now - everybody's teasing her about being sick. I think the next person to ask her if she has the swine flu will get decked right in the chin.

Kiwi
04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I think the next person to ask her if she has the swine flu will get decked right in the chin.

she should start oinking and then cough on them...woops sorry OINK!!!!

Cat
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM
I am allergic to my cats :)

And dust...so when (if) I clean, i get sick from the flying dust.

ArcticChicken
05-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I am allergic to everything airborne. I'm always a little snuffy, I literally cannot remember the last time I was completely uncongested.

RecoveringKinkoid
05-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I would be if I didn't know about this stuff (http://www.nasalcrom.com/). It's AWESOME.

Kogarashi
05-01-2009, 03:51 AM
I've got a weird set of allergies.

I'm allergic to ragweed. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any in Utah while I was doing my undergrad, and there doesn't seem to be as much here in CT either as was at home growing up.

I'm allergic to dandelion pollen, but only when I get a lot in my face. I know this because I've only had an allergic reaction the one time a friend and I were having a dandelion war in grade school during recess. We were popping dandelion heads at each other, and I got one of the worst cases of pollen allergies I've ever had.

I'm allergic to old (possibly moldy) dust. This is really only a problem when I'm cleaning out an area that hasn't been properly cleaned in a while. Then my eyes puff up and water and my nose gets all sniffly-runny. Ugh. If I'm not careful, I end up with a cough the next day thanks to my nose draining down the back of my throat all night. Worst sore throat ever.

I'm also allergic to one single cat in all of existence, who has since passed away. This cat gave everyone allergic reactions, so I wonder if there was something in the dander that he shed all over. The other cat in the house seemed perfectly hypoallergenic, and I've never had a reaction with any other furred critter ever.

At the moment, there's some mystery plant in the area that seems to be triggering pollen allergies on occasion, though I haven't been able to identify what yet. Not fun with contact lenses.

mandaliz8704
05-01-2009, 04:06 AM
I had no idea I was allergic to rabbit fur until we bought two of them for the kids. I have dust allergies as well, plus on top of those I'm pregnant and my nose is not going to be clear again until November. :(

Amethyst Hunter
05-01-2009, 05:28 AM
*unhappily raises hand* Don't get me started on allergies. Just...don't. :rant:

ArcticChicken
05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I would be if I didn't know about this stuff (http://www.nasalcrom.com/). It's AWESOME.

I have trouble not cracking up every time I see it. The word "Crom" conjures up images of Conan.

Taboo
05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Ugh, I feel your pain. I think I should just declare myself allergic to life and try to move on. I'm allergic to several types of pollen, mold, dust, and grass, so spring is always unpleasant for me. I also am allergic to some foods (peanuts, shellfish) severely enough that touching them will send me into anaphylactic shock - so I have to be really careful if I eat out anywhere.

My current school dorm has mold in the walls, so I've been sick all semester.

The kicker? I'm also allergic to the numbing cream the doctor used on my arms before testing me for allergies. I broke out in hives before he could even do the tests. :lol:

draftermatt
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I was tested for allergies when I was a wee lad.

*Dust
*Dust Mites
*Ragweed
*Pollen
*Dander

And then when I was a few years older, I found out I was allergic to latex.

Dust still triggers me to sneeze, but pollen/ragweed (I.E. outdoor springtime allergies) it's rare they bother me as much anymore.

Dander doesn't seem to affect me as much. If it's a long haired dog/cat (like my sister's Golden Retriever) I still get allergy eyes, otherwise I don't.

The worst time was at my Senior Prom. My allergies (didn't know it was them until the next week when I went to the doctor) had thrown off my inner ear so bad I was sick/dizzy instead of dancing and having a good time.

I was so out of it when I was walking down a hall with my GF (now wife) holding me upright and I saw myself in the mirror I wondered who in the hell had their hands all over my woman.

To this day I'm amazed I didn't die at my wedding (I was sick at Junior Prom as well)

Since the prom incident my allergies have died down considerably. Though ironically my wife's have gotten worse.

protege
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
My allergies have actually gotten better. Still, they suck. Right now, it's raining out, and I'm sniffling and sneezing. Damn you, tree pollen! At least I'm not allergic to kitties ;)

crazylegs
05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I also am allergic to some foods (peanuts, shellfish) severely enough that touching them will send me into anaphylactic shock

Please tell me you always, always, ALWAYS carry your epipen/anapen whereever you go...?

Taboo
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Please tell me you always, always, ALWAYS carry your epipen/anapen whereever you go...?

I carry an EpiPen everywhere, as well as Benedryl - I try to keep those dissolvable strips they make for kids, since they get into your system much faster. I take Benedryl if I suspect that I may be having a reaction and sometimes it is enough - I will actually react to peanuts even if they are just in the air - and then I'll use the EpiPen when needed.

They're actually training dogs now to sniff out allergens! They're service dogs, sort of like the seizure alert dogs, and there's a group in Texas training them to sniff out peanuts. That way they can warn you if there's any peanut contamination in a room. They haven't been around for very long and so they haven't trained a ton of dogs yet, so they usually reserve them for kids who are likely to be exposed to it at school. If/when they start considering more adult applicants, I may look into it.

draftermatt
05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
They're actually training dogs now to sniff out allergens! They're service dogs, sort of like the seizure alert dogs, and there's a group in Texas training them to sniff out peanuts. That way they can warn you if there's any peanut contamination in a room. They haven't been around for very long and so they haven't trained a ton of dogs yet, so they usually reserve them for kids who are likely to be exposed to it at school. If/when they start considering more adult applicants, I may look into it.

That's pretty cool.

Ah the EpiPen, I've been allergic to latex for 16 years now, and thankfully haven't had to use mine.

Sad thing is every so often I have to buy new ones as they expire.

I wish I could remember to carry one with me. I keep one in my desk at work, one in the car, and one at home, but I know I should keep one closer.

AccountingDrone
05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I've got a weird set of allergies.

I'm allergic to ragweed. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any in Utah while I was doing my undergrad, and there doesn't seem to be as much here in CT either as was at home growing up.

At the moment, there's some mystery plant in the area that seems to be triggering pollen allergies on occasion, though I haven't been able to identify what yet. Not fun with contact lenses.

Im also in CT. I am allergic to forsythia ... and there is a HUGE one outside the bedroom window, but it screens the bedroom from the road and the neighbor, so I suffer. Im also allergic to whatever kind of pine tree leaves the little pollen drifts on my car of fluffy yellow pollen.

Maybe pine and forsythia?

Taboo
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah the EpiPen, I've been allergic to latex for 16 years now, and thankfully haven't had to use mine.

I wish I could remember to carry one with me.

One of my friends found out she was allergic to latex the hard way. :eek:

I keep an EpiPen in the medicine cabinet at home, and the other in my bag. I carry the same messenger bag with me to classes every day so it's always with me if I'm out. It's hard to start, but once you finally get into the habit it just stays with you.

Kogarashi
05-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Im also in CT. I am allergic to forsythia ... and there is a HUGE one outside the bedroom window, but it screens the bedroom from the road and the neighbor, so I suffer. Im also allergic to whatever kind of pine tree leaves the little pollen drifts on my car of fluffy yellow pollen.

Maybe pine and forsythia?

Start cultivating lilacs or some other flowering shrub to replace the forsythia. :) It'll take a while, but probably be worth it (unless you're renting, like us).

I doubt it's the forsythia triggering mine, since I grew up with a boatload of forsythia in our yard. Our "forts" were often under the forsythia bushes, and we never reacted to them. The pine might be it, though, if it's one that wasn't on my parents' property. My money's on one of the fifty billion flowering trees around town, though.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my sisters and I also showed an unusual reaction to the regular sumac on my parents' property. It wasn't poison sumac (we checked), but my sisters and I still reacted as though it were with the odd little boils you get with the poison variety. Dad eventually cleared out the small sumac grove to expand the backyard.

freeatlast
05-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I am allergic to pollen and dust. I am also extremely allergic to our office cat, Mr Kitty. It really sucks because I love that cat and the feeling seems to be mutual. He sits on my desk while I work, and periodically reaches out and rubs his face all over mine. That starts my eyes itching and tearing. Then my contacts get very cloudy and feel gummy. So I use the lint rollers alot to get the cat hair off my clothes and clean my contacts several times a day. And take regular doses of Advil Allergy Sinus to try to offset the effects of Mr Kitty. I also have boxes and boxes of tissues everywhere I spend time.:D

ArcticChicken
05-02-2009, 06:37 AM
They're service dogs, sort of like the seizure alert dogs, and there's a group in Texas training them to sniff out peanuts.

I saw part of a special on a lady with Celiac's Disease who's chihuahua could tell when she'd been exposed to gluten, so she had it trained as an aide dog so she could avoid dangerous activities when she'd been exposed. ETA: Does that sentence make sense? Something feels wrong about it, but I'm pretty tired, so I can't tell.

I cannot think of a worse allergy to find out the hard way, at least, one that doesn't kill you.

It really sucks because I love that cat and the feeling seems to be mutual.

Of course! Cats always make a beeline for the person with the worst allergies.

draftermatt
05-02-2009, 10:27 AM

I found out when I was getting my braces put on. My lips started swelling (ended up being pretty bad), but I couldn't imagine finding out that way, eesh.

crazylegs
05-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I carry an EpiPen everywhere,

I wish I could remember to carry one with me.

(Emphasis my own)

Carry two.

Seriously.

An epi/anapen (depending on brand, they're both essentially the same) does not cure your reaction, all it does is buy you time. 5 minutes times to be a little more precise. Can you guarantee that an ambulance will be with you every time in 5 minutes? I can assure you that in the UK the Ambulance Service is only obligated to be with you in 8 minutes, which would be 3 minutes too late.

Carry. Two.