PDA

View Full Version : Need Book Suggestions

Greenday
05-05-2009, 02:54 AM
I need to get some new books. I'm pretty big on science fiction and WWII history.

Some typical books I've read:
Ender's Game Series (and Shadow series)
A crapload of Star Wars
Harry Potter
D-Day (book on D-Day based on multiple soldiers' accounts, Canadian, American, British, French, German)

My friend just recommended Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse 5. Just suggested White Noise too.

spark
05-05-2009, 02:55 AM
If you like sci fi and militaria, I suggest you check out David Weber. Some of the best military science fiction out there, I think. On Basilisk Station is a good one to start with.

dalesys
05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Go to Baen Books (http://baen.com/) and check out their free library.
Also baencd at the Fifth Imperium (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/) for more downloadable books.

protege
05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
If you've read The Hunt For Red October, you might like Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy. I also have his Rainbow Six, Without Remorse, and a few others. Most of his books are set during the Cold War.

Douglas Adams "Hitchhiker" series is always good for a laugh.
You might enjoy Neuromancer, by William Gibson

One I haven't read yet, is V3, by IB Melghior. This is set during 1945, and deals with Germany's V3 flying bomb (filled with poison gas) program.

It's me
05-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Go to Baen Books (http://baen.com/) and check out their free library

Yup.

Plus the Webscriptions ebooks are a good deal. 15 bucks for 5 books, in multiple formats, no DRM so you can read them anywere.

Couple more Baen authors that to military SF:
John Dalmas
Travis S. Taylor

Garth Nix has some good stuff.
And of course there is Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files".... one of the few authors that I buy in hardback.... the first day the book is out and then inhale the whole thing in a matter of hours.....

Bandit
05-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Alistair MacLean and Frederick Forsyth might be good for you. MacLean's books are pretty short and a formula.

Forsyth are long, good reads - he can bring you into the world he writes about. The Fourth Protocol and No Comebacks are his best (IMHO). The latter is a collection of short stories. Might be good to get a feel for his style.

The Forsyth Wiki Page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Forsyth)

B

KiaKat
05-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Just from looking at my bookshelves, the following come to mind:

Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, or The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Anything by Ursula K. Leguin (Earthsea series, Hainish cycle, etc.)
The Seeker of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
Light by M. John Harrison
City of Dreams series from Beverly Swerling (Historical Fiction set in NYC)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Hope that helps!

spark
05-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Go to Baen Books (http://baen.com/) and check out their free library.
Also baencd at the Fifth Imperium (http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/) for more downloadable books.

So seconding that! I had a total brain burp or I'd have recommended it too. Quite a bit of Weber's stuff is in there.

tacohuman
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
the quantum gravity series by justina robson is good. there are four books: keeping it real, selling out, going under, and chasing the dragon. the books are a really interesting blend of sci fi and fantasy elements.

AccountingDrone
05-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Yup.

Plus the Webscriptions ebooks are a good deal. 15 bucks for 5 books, in multiple formats, no DRM so you can read them anywere.

Couple more Baen authors that to military SF:
John Dalmas
Travis S. Taylor

Garth Nix has some good stuff.
And of course there is Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files".... one of the few authors that I buy in hardback.... the first day the book is out and then inhale the whole thing in a matter of hours.....

Lois McMaster Bujold - military sf and also some decent fantasy, I really like the Curse of Chalion/Paladin of Souls/Hallowed Hunt series.

Fenrus
05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
If you're into military sci-fi, check out World War Z by Max Brooks... great book, incredibly detailed.

lordlundar
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Wheel of time series.

That oughta keep you busy for a year.:devil::p

Geek King
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
For Sci-Fi, I'd consider the following:

David Drake's Hammer's Slammers Stories. The Tank Lords is a good place to start. Also, his Lt. Leary books are great stories of war, politics, and unconventional tactics--with spaceships. Neem! Neem!

Margret Weis' Mantle of Kendis-Dai books were a good read, as were her Star of the Guardians Series. Both can be kind of hard to find now, though.

Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series is very good, if dark quite often. He also does the Nightside series, which deals with both Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements cramed into on small living space.

RayvenQ
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Military Sci Fi - Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnett, it's quite a large series, 11 books in all, but it has everything, land assaults, sea assaults, air assaults, armoured assaults, trench warfare and a big load of sneaking about.

It's one hell of a roller coaster ride.

Boggles
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
The Harry Turtledove alternate WW1/WW2 books are very good reading. They can get a bit bogged down at times but are good stories.

Kheldarson
05-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Cannot second Dresden Files enough. I'm inhaling them myself right now. *note to self call Joe and get the next ones*

On my shelf, Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot jumps out...medieval fantasy that's heavily rooted in succession wars. Or Game of Thrones by GRR Martin.

Greenday
05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I went to the book store today and got Catch 22, Slaughter House Five, White Noise, and Empire (a book related to the Ender's Game series).

I like a lot of the suggestions here. I saw the books by David Weber and they look pretty interesting. I'll have to go back in a couple weeks after I finish these.

BookstoreEscapee
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Shadow Divers (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Shadow-Divers/Robert-Kurson/e/9780375508585) by Robert Kurson. (Non-fiction, reads in places like a suspense novel.)

cinema guy
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
The best military sci-fi is Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

depechemodefan
05-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Dune by Frank Herbert. The best Sci-Fi book out there. The other in the series are good, just more and more deranged as the series goes.

The White Plague by Frank Herbert is goodish. It's about a scientist who goes mad when his family dies from an IRA (I think) bomb going off. It's a modern book, while Dune is futurastic.

I like Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory : 20th century military blunders by David Wragg. It's non-fiction, but I like anything that tells how history can be diff. if other paths were taken.

Greenday
05-06-2009, 06:23 AM
The best military sci-fi is Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

Hahaha, you ever see my signature on Fratching? One of my favorite movies. Except for the second. Third one was great though.

Red_Dazes
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
If you're into military sci-fi, check out World War Z by Max Brooks... great book, incredibly detailed.

For Sci-Fi, I'd consider the following:

Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series is very good, if dark quite often. He also does the Nightside series, which deals with both Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements cramed into on small living space.

...damn they mentioned them first! :( World War Z is really good. And I personally love the Nightside series more than Deathstalker. But That is my tastes. The Beau likes books along the same lines as you.
John Ringo is an author he recommends. Very good stories.

cinema guy
05-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Hahaha, you ever see my signature on Fratching? One of my favorite movies. Except for the second. Third one was great though.

The book is very different to the movies. That said I enjoyed the movies (haven't seen 3 yet)

tacohuman
05-07-2009, 12:58 AM
...damn they mentioned them first! :( World War Z is really good. And I personally love the Nightside series more than Deathstalker. But That is my tastes. The Beau likes books along the same lines as you.

i also enjoyed nightside more than deathstalker. have you read any of the shaman bond books? i think sthose are my favorite that green has written.