PDA

View Full Version : Sucky Customer and I wasn't even at work

The cat whisperer
11-14-2006, 08:01 PM
While in bed sound asleep the other day I recieved a call on my cell at 7 am. The number came up private, but I answered it any way thinking maybe my mom was sick or something. I work nights so most people know not to call me before 10 am or risk death and/or dismemberment. The conversation went like this:

Cat: Hello?
SC: Is this Such and Such Termite exterminators?
Cat: Uh, no. Sorry, you have the wrong number. (Who calls on a Saturday at 7 am for termite control anyway).
SC: Is this XXX-YYY-ZZZZ? (Which is my number)
Cat: Yeah, but I am not in the termite killin' business. Sorry.
SC: But, this is the number they gave me. (Oh, well, if they told you...)
Cat: No sir. You have a wrong number. Good luck on your pest problem though.

I hung up. Not the most sucky customer ever, but at 7 am do not argue with me about what I do for a living. And to top it off, I got another termite call today. This time I simply said "Not it" and hung up the phone.

PS I put this in sightings since I wasn't technically at work. If it needs to be moved just let me know.

RecoveringKinkoid
11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I've often wondered two things:

1. How come people who screw up their phone calls can't do so during decent hours, and

2. How come these same people think if they argue with you about who you are or are not, reality will magically change and you will become who they are trying to reach?:headscratch:

File this under "Things I Am Too Stupid To Understand."

MadMike
11-14-2006, 08:11 PM
2. How come these same people think if they argue with you about who you are or are not, reality will magically change and you will become who they are trying to reach?:headscratch:

Good question. I went thru the same thing when I briefly started getting wrong number calls on my cell. I'm guessing someone got a new number, got it wrong, and gave out the wrong number, which happened to be mine.

When I told the one caller they had the wrong number, their response was something like, "Well, this is Dr. So-and-so's office, confirming an appointment."

My response was, "Sorry, it's still the wrong number."

Seriously, did they think that was going to change anything? Like my identity, or in this case, my gender, as the name they asked for was undoubtedly female? :confused:

RecoveringKinkoid
11-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I know! I get that "Well, this is the number they gave me!" As if they expect me to go, "Oh, well, wow. You got me. Let me magically alter the cosmos and become that person, because THAT'S THE NUMBER THEY GAVE YOU."

:wtf:

I mean, really. What kind of a damn do they expect a stranger who they bothered, and don't even have the grace to say, "oops, sorry to bother you, I dialed wrong" to to have?

I used to get wrong numbers nearly every night, all for the same guy, at my old place. A couple people actually said, "Are you SURE he's not there?" Once or twice I said back, "Well, I don't THINK so, but if it turns out he IS here hiding under a bed or something, I'm going to blow his head off with my trusty shotgun. So hey, if he's due someplace with my tv and stereo, and doesn't show up, you might want to check back."

Sheesh.

AFpheonix
11-14-2006, 09:18 PM
I love the ones that get my voicemail, which clearly states something along the lines of "Hey, this is Phe, I'll call you back!" and leave a message for like, Mark or someone. Does Mark have a feminine voice? Didn't think so.

Becks
11-15-2006, 12:21 AM
I usually don't bother saying, "You have the wrong number" anymore. I stick with "There's nobody here by that name, sorry." That usually works.

Misanthropical
11-15-2006, 01:33 AM
A man use to call my house during the day and insist I was Jessica. I would tell him he had the wrong number. I would tell him that no one by that name lived here, but he kept insisting I was Jessica and I would talk to him.

I would hang up on him, so he resorted to screaming on my answering machine that I damn well better call him back.

I finally had it with this ass calling and screaming at either me or my answering machine, so I called the 800 number that he called from and talked to a supervisor.

The supervisor told me they had my number down as Jessica's. I told him that there is no Jessica here and anymore calls from them would result in legal action. I haven't had a call since.

Canarr
11-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I had it the other way around; not a sucky, just an amusing anecdote.

A friend of mine, Michael, spent a year and some change in China, and quit his cell phone service before he left. Unfortunately, I didn't get that (and of course had little reason to call him on his cell phone in China), so I never deleted his number from my cell phone.

Fast forward 14 months, he's back, and we're planning a few things, get together with a couple of people and catch up. I text message him a few times over several weeks - generic stuff like, "We'll meet at five", "Come over when you're done", etc. Never got an answer, but didn't really expect one, the messages were just to let him know when and where.

Now, one night, we were sitting at a friends, watching a few DVDs and goofing off, when I heard my cell phone ring in the hall. Got up to get it, but of course it stopped before I reached it. Checking the display, it read Michael's name. Why would he call me, when we're sitting in the same room? Of course, he hadn't. So, I hit redial to call back my mystery caller.

SG - Strange Guy (heavy Eastern German accent)
Me - Me

SG: Hello?
Me: Hey; you just called me?
SG: Oh, yes; is this <full name>? (Okay, who is this guy, and how does he know my name? I later noticed he'd left a message on my voice mail, and had gotten my name from there.)
Me: Yes, that's me; what can I do for you? (I'm polite that way)
SG: Yeah, well, I was just wondering... where do you live? (Alarm bells went off there. Why would someone call to ask me that?)
Me: Uh... around Mannheim somewhere. Why? (Technically true)
SG: Ah, Mannheim is good... I was there to help build the new train station! (That's nice...)
SG: See, I was a bit worried, because I've been finding these strange messages...
Me: <Insert first attempt to explain the whole "old number thing"; by now I'd figured out that apparently, the company had re-issued Michael's old number. Didn't even slow him down, though.>
SG: ...and you see, this is my wife's cell phone... (Oops. Didn't want to increase the divorce rate in the east even more!)
SG: .... but she's never been to Mannheim. Well, I have, to build the train station...
Me: <Insert 2nd attempt; trying unsuccessfully not to laugh. My friends weren't any help there.>
SG: Have you ever been to Chemnitz? (City in Sachsen I've never seen.)
Me: No, but I've been to Dresden. (No idea what prompted me to say that.)
SG: No, that can't be, either, she doesn't go there... (It sounded like he was mostly talking to himself now.)
Me: Okay, glad I could help. Sorry again about the mishap.

Click.

Again, he wasn't sucky; a bit persistent, and it doesn't exactly portray a lot of trust for him to check his wife's phone messages, but more funny than annoying.

Linda
11-15-2006, 09:02 AM
My phone number is often printed in the local paper as being that of a local recruitment agency. (Well, they do print their number, but with an extra 0 in the middle, which makes it mine if you follow). I have so so many phone calls a day asking for information about available jobs, and more than a couple of times a week I get something along the following lines...

Me: Hello
Idiot: Hi there - I'm after information on <insert job here>
Me: I'm sorry, this is a residential number. The number you need is .......
Idiot: Well, this is the number in the paper so...
Me: It's wrong. The number in the paper has 9 digits. It should have 8. The number you need is......
Idiot: Can't I give you my details anyway? And get someone to call me back?
Me: This is a residential, private number. I can't do that.

This goes one of many ways. I rarely get an "OK no probs". Usually get "You are so unhelpful". Or "I'll have your job for this".

My answerphone is even better. My message is "Hi this is Linda. This is NOT ...... Recruitment agnecy. Their number is .......... If you are phoning this private number to speak to Linda or ...... please leave your message."

Usually 3 or 4 messages get through my cunning message...
"Hi I'm calling about .......... job. My name is...... My phone number is ...... My mobile number is....... My address is ......... My National Insurance number is .........

Occasionally for people who have been hired and need to leave details for their new employer, I've had bank details left too.

It's a good thing I'm not an identity thief!

Anakah
11-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I had the MOST annoying guy who would call me and speak spanglish. Y'know some spanish and a hint of english? He called me EVERY hour on the hour the ENTIRE time I was trying to sleep. The first time he did it, I rejected the call because it was a number I didn't recognize.
The second time I picked up the phone and politely told him he had the wrong phone number.
The third time I text him saying; "STOP calling me"
And right after I did that, guess what?!
He called me again. THIS time I was getting beyong irritated. I had to go to work soon and he kept me up the whole time. Note: I would have turned off my phone but its my alarm clock.
So finally he asks for the same person again and I was beyond pissed.
"STOP CALLING MY EFFIN NUMBER!"
He finally stopped.

Banrion
11-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I had someone calling my cell phone from France. She would call and leave voice mail while I was sleeping, and NOT leave any sort of callback number. I felt bad for the girl, because the first message was.

"Hi, made it to Paris, just calling to check in, call me back! BYE"

Then the next day

"Hi so and so, didn't hear from you yesterday, hope everything is OK, call me back"

And the next day

"what's going on, is something wrong, PLEASE call me back, I'm in Paris for 4 more days"

The next day

"You sound kinda funny on your voicemail, I hope I have the right number, anyhow call me back"

The next day

[sobbing] "I'm really scared, I don't know why you haven't called me, PLEASE just let me know you are OK"

Finally the calls stopped, but I felt really bad as she obviously had the wrong number, but she NEVER left any sort of contact info. Very strange!

RecoveringKinkoid
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
When I lived in my parent's house, something similar happened. It was past 11pm*, and my mom, who had the flu, was trying to sleep. This chick kept calling over and over. She was polite, but it was PAST 11PM, and my patience started wearing pretty thin.

Finally, I had to say, "look here, it's late, we're trying to sleep, and you've bothered us 4 or 5 times in a 15 minute period. You need to make sure you don't call us again, got it? "

She apologized, and I told her I appreciated that, but enough was enough. She didn't call back.

*See my previous gripe about this happening mostly at indecent hours.:(

IT Grunt
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
My wife had a similar experience years ago, a couple years before we got married. She was living in an apartment, and had just gotten her phone hooked up. Apparently, a lady who was selling a car had that number listed in the ad. Now she either had the number before, or it had been mis-printed. A guy calls to inquire about the car:

W: My wife
PG: Psycho guy

W: Hello?
PG: Yeah, are you still selling the car?
W: Car? I'm not selling any car. I think you have a wrong number.
PG: This is the number in the ad, now are you selling the car or not?
W: I already told you, I'm not selling any car. You have a wrong number.
PG: Look lady, I want that <censored> car! I have questions about it, now start answering them!
W: Sir, I already told you, I'm not selling a car! I only have one, it belongs to me, and I'm not selling it! You have a wrong number!
PG: I WANT THAT <censored> CAR!!

She finally hung up on him, and never heard from him again, thankfully. Scared her to death though, for a couple days she had visions of this pyscho tracking her down and demanding to see this imaginary car!

Fast forward to the present, we moved into our own house about 5 years ago. After getting our phone service hooked up, fate decided to throw a monkey wrench into the works yet again, and our number apparently belonged to another couple who had apparently moved. Not only that, but this number had apparently been used by others as well. We've had numerous calls from the power company's computer, saying our bill was overdue and numerous calls asking for about three different people with three different last names, and often repeatedly. (Isn't this XXX-XXXX? Yes, but this is a brand new freakin' house, bub. No one but us has ever lived here!)

We started answering the phone with "Hello, IT Grunt residence." People still asked if those people were there. :doh:

Then, my cell phone number also seems to have been owned by someone else previously, as I've gotten numerous calls from the /same woman/ asking for this guy. She hasn't called recently, mainly because I sounded like I was ready to kill the last time she called. :devil:

By this point, I could almost write a book on the wrong number phenomenon.

Seanette
11-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Maybe some of you can confirm or discredit a pattern I think I've noticed in wrong-number calls. In general (there ARE exceptions both directions), women callers are much more polite about it than men callers. Women usually apologize and hang up, men get annoyed with you for not being the person they were looking for. (Yes, I've dealt with polite men and rude women. I'm talking about general trends, not absolutes.)

Cia
11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I finally had to tell some idiots who wouldn't stop calling me looking for the previous owner of my cell number "Look genius, he doesn't own this number anymore. Public health is looking for him and so is his car loan people. Take the hint and stop calling."

MadMike
11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
We've had numerous calls from the power company's computer, saying our bill was overdue and numerous calls asking for about three different people with three different last names, and often repeatedly. (Isn't this XXX-XXXX? Yes, but this is a brand new freakin' house, bub. No one but us has ever lived here!)

My wife's former neighbor, from when she still had her apartment, had a similar problem. He inherited a phone number that apparently belonged to someone who didn't believe in paying their bills, and was constantly getting harrassed by collection agencies that refused to believe that he wasn't the guy they were trying to reach, and didn't even known him. Worse yet, he was a third-shift truck driver, so these calls were disturbing his rest. He eventually had to changed to an unlisted number.

Gurndigarn
11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
We kept getting collect calls from prison. Including one that went "HEL LO. THIS IS A... COLLECT CALL FROM dontyoudarehangupyouasshole, WHO IS IN A CORREC TIONAL FACILITY. WILL YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGE?"

That's about the time I found out that blocking incoming collect calls doesn't block ones from prisons. It took another month to finally get calls blocked from the prison's phone company, too.

pbmods
11-17-2006, 01:46 AM
SC: But, this is the number they gave me.

Me: "That's nice." *crickets* (assuming I don't just hang up after that)

draftermatt
11-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Our number was previously had by another family. I used to get messages saying "Mary, your glasses are ready" etc.

One day someone calls and asks for Mary. I say you have the wrong number.

"No I don't I have the wrong information" (This is said real pissy)

"Well f**k you then"

At work our number got rerouted with a motorcycle shop's. You would call the shop's number and a message from the phone company would say that you need to call (our number).

Finally I found out what the actual place's number was and called them about it. They knew and were trying to get it fixed.

Nobody got an attitude, but most were like "It said to call this"

"Well wev'e had this number for about 20 years, I think they're wrong."

Mikkel
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh that reminds me. Twenty-some years ago I got a phonecall in the middle of the night, about three if I remember correctly. I took the phone and mumbled my name, the next couple of minutes a woman was shouting at me:rant: , she had been waiting since nine and I never kept my promises and I was worthless in bed and we were through for ever and she would kill me if she ever laid eyes on me again. When she was running down and I got my wits together I asked her who she thought she was talking to but she shouted that I shouldn't play innocent and slammed the phone down:blink: . I still wonder who she was and what she did to the poor man when or if he showed up :lol: .

Rapscallion
11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
3:30am. "Hello? Is this XYZ Taxis?"

"No. It's a private number."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I could hear the music of a nightclub in the background. "I was asleep."

He was good enough to give an apology for a wrong number before hanging up.

4:00 am "Hello?" asked a drunken female voice. "Can I arrange a taxi for..."

"No."

"What? Are you refusing to send..."

"This is a private number. Someone's given you and some others the wrong number by accident." I could hear the nightclub in the background still. Sounds like I was a digit or two from a taxi firm's number.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"No matter. I get up for work in about an hour anyway."

"Oh my..." I put the phone down on her at this point.

4:30 am "Hello?" I growled.

"Eek!" said a drunken female voice. The line went dead immediately.

Nothing since.

Rapscallion

RecoveringKinkoid
11-19-2006, 05:50 AM
This is a bizarre story involving my husband making a wrong number.

I will admit right now that booze was involved and my husband was "one of those people." We aren't proud of this, but it makes for a funny story.

So it's something like 2 am and he and I were doing a little drinking one night back in the salad days of our marriage. Okay, so we were doing a lot of drinking. Hubby is an idiotic drunk.

He remembers to call a friend of his he was supposed to call. He knows said friend is over at another friends house that night. So he calls and get a machine. He says "Okay, this is it. Art, tell Shannon that the secret word for the night...it's MAIDEN (hubby is a big Iron Maiden fan, and so were the guys he was calling). Got it? Maiden. MAAAID-EN. CAll me, man. I'm home. The number is Blah blah blah." He blathered on drunkenly in that vein for a while before hanging up.

An hour later the phone rang. We had turned in. We woke up, but let the machine get it. Some other drunk we didn't recognize was going "DUDE! You got the wrong number, bro, but that was the funniest f:censored:g call I've ever gotten!!! You rock! I wanna party with YOU!" And he went on drunkenly in that vein before hanging up.

I was just glad he didn't accidently get some poor little old lady or something.

ArenaBoy
11-19-2006, 06:23 AM
3 years ago, when I got my cell phone I didn't have time to record a voicemail message due to school and events and I was a bit lazy about it. :rolleyes: An unrecorded voice mail message on my phone usually said my name in a robotic voice and everything so people would get the point. I kept getting calls from this guy leaving messages for Nina, this went on for until I finally recorded the voicemail message and at the time, I was suffering from a cold and my voice was quite deep. Never heard from him since.

flybye023
11-19-2006, 07:29 AM
A couple of years ago I renewed my cell phone contract and got a new phone. They were running a program where I could "recycle" my old cell phone so I gladly left it with them.

Fast forward about 6 months I get this voicemail message on my cellphone from the Seaside police department basically saying that I had called 911 but hung up, and to stop messing with them. The message included times and lengths of calls...there were about 10 calls made in a 15 minute interval. I didn't think I had done this 'cause my phone is usually off (I got it "for emergencies") but y'know how you start doubting yourself: Maybe I did leave my phone on and buttons got pushed while it was in my purse?

I check my outgoing calls, nothing to 911. I go online and check my statement, no calls to 911 so I decide to ignore the voicemail message. I mean, obviously it's not me, right? Also, I live in a town about 80 miles away so wouldn't any 911 made from my phone go to my city's dispatch?

A couple of days later I get another message saying I better stop calling 911 or I will be arrested. This time I call the police station and explain that I didn't call 911 and for them to stop bothering me. (said much more politely though). They verified my phone number but I told them I hadn't called 911, and gave them several facts to prove it:

1) my phone showed that I hadn't called 911.

2) the phone company showed that I hadn't called 911. (I called them and they couldn't find any explanation for why the police would be bothering me)

3)one of the times they had recorded, my phone was off and the battery was dead and not attached to the phone.

4)brought up the point that I am in "Smithville" 80 miles away, wouldn't calls from my phone go locally?

The officer on the line hemmed and hawed acknowledged that yes, my 911 calls would go locally and not to them but basically said it was my problem, they weren't obligated to do anything about it but if the calls continued I would be in trouble. Even though I could prove that the calls didn't come from me.

I called the phone company again but they couldn't do anything about it either. They had, however, figured out that it was my old cell phone making the calls. The phone they hadn't recycled but had instead donated to a women's shelter. And been given to a woman in a poor domestic situation. Somehow my number was still attached to the phone. So she's making calls and not getting any help and I'm getting in trouble for harrassing 911.

So resolution, I got a new number and I never donate my old phones anymore (I have no idea what to do with them though).

I feel sorry for that lady though but really, if you're in a situation where you have to call 911 ten times in fifteen minutes: GET OUT NOW! The loser is not worth it!:(

Rapscallion
11-19-2006, 08:07 AM
There is a charity that recycles mobile phones and sends them to Africa for use there. Unless it's serious enough for an extradition warrant, there's going to be no problems if you send it there.

http://www.exodus.co.uk/recyclingmobilephones.html for one- I'm sure you could get something similar for the US.

Rapscallion

HalloranElder
11-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Ah yes, the joys of wrong numbers...

Way back when I was a kid, phone numbers in the capital city had 7 digits (with a 2 digit area code) while numbers in the rest of the state were only 6 digits (with a 3 digit area code).

I grew up in the outback, so had a 6 digit phone number. Approximately once a month for about 10 years we got a phone call from someone wanting to contest a traffic violation they had received.

The reason was that our phone number was (ABC) 253474, while the number they were supposed to ring was (XY) 2534746. They would forget to dial the area code (or just not realise they were supposed to) and get us instead.

It was such a regular occurrence that we (Mum, Dad, my brother and I) would just rattle off "you have the wrong number. You need to dial the area code XY before dialing the number" without a second thought.

This went on for about 10 years, and only stopped because the powers that be decided to standardise all the phone numbers in the country with 2 digit area codes and 10 digit phone numbers.

Imogene
11-24-2006, 03:44 AM
I particularly used to enjoy the calls that would start off such:
M: "Hello?"
Solicitor: "May I speak to Mr Smith (not my last name, not even close, name changed to protect me from the atrocity that is my name)?"
M: "Which one (There are three Mr. Smiths in the household)?"
Sol: "... Sheila (also, not the name requested, to protect my mother from being identified)...?"
M: "Did you even stop to think about the gender of that name? If not, my Mom has had a gender reassignment that no one in my family knows about, including Dad, and, more than likely, Mom..."
Usually shuts them up.

walking with scissors
12-27-2006, 12:16 PM
My friend used to have a phone number that was one digit different than the local grocery that you could call to get your lottery numbers. After taking about a hundred calls and having to tell people that, no, he wasn't the Red Fox, he just started giving out random numbers when people called about the lottery results.

Polenicus
12-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I've frequently had bad luck with wrong numbers. Seems every number I get has belonged to someone else, who happened to be A) Popular, and/or B) A business and/or C) behind in bill payments.

The best however was when I lived in Vancouver. My first place I got assigned the phone number of a company called Progressive Engineering. As far as I can tell, they were/are some sort of custom parts fabrication outfit, located on Vancouver Island.

Anyway, I got a bunch of calls for them, for about 6 months, at which point I moved. The move put me in a different area code, and a completedly new number. Hooray, no more Progressive Engineering calls!

... Err, not quite.

Seems one determined fellow, when he got my old number, and Progressive's old OLD number, actually managed to track down what the number had been changed to. Unfortunately, it was MY number he tracked down, not Progressives!

So one day I got a phone call from him on my answering machine. Now, my answering machine quite clearly said 'You've reached the Residence of Polenicus, please leave your name and number after the beep, and I'll get back to you yadda yadda yadda.'

Still, missing that once is to be expected. He left his message, asking for some sort of custom-made component. I deleted it and thought nothing more of it.

He called the next day.

And the next.

And the next.

Each time, he grew more irate, chewing me out BY NAME about how my customer service sucks, and not calling a customer back was NO WAY to do business. He needed this part quite badly, and he needed to know when I could get it done.

When we entered into the SECOND WEEK of these calls, I had enough. The guy was in Alberta, but I figured the long distance charges were worth it to get him to STOP. So I called him back.

P: Me
G: Him

P: Hello, could I speak to G?

G: This is G speaking, how can I help you.

P: Hi, this is Polenicus.

G: Polenicus! I've been waiting to get hear back from you! You need to hire a receptionist or something, I've been trying to reach you all week!

P: No, I don't need to hire a receptionist. This is a private residence. This isn't, and never was the number of Progressive Engineering. My LAST number was the same as the number Progressive Engineering USED to have, but I moved. Please stop calling me.

G: Oh... do you happen to know what Progressive Engineering's number is?

P: No, I'm afraid not. But, if you happen to find out what it is, could you maybe give me one last call and give it to me, so I can redirect all the OTHER people who keep calling for them?

The calls trailed off after that, but never stopped entirely. Every once in a while, I'd get someone who'd try and call Progressive from an old phone book, get the 'Number has been changed' message, and then call me.

Cia
12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Lately I've been getting alot of calls from Colorado mainly Aurora and Englewood. The Englewood one was from Truelogic Financial Corp. - whoever the hell they are - and their message consisted solely of "call 866-555-5555 and reference the following number". Yep, I'll get back to ya....never. Gotta love reverse phone look-up.

I'm going to start answering the phone with "Church of the Psychedelic Shark" for every Colorado call I get.

protege
12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Right after I got my phone service set up after moving...I started getting some strange phone calls. The most interesting...was from some police department in Maryland. Apparently, the prior owner (not sure if it was the homeowner, or whoever had the number last) was being investigated for some illegal doings. I'm not sure what, and I didn't want to know. For about a week, I got quite a few messages from a detective doing the investigation...and she couldn't understand why nobody was calling her back. I wasn't about to run up my long-distance charges because she was too stupid as to what was going on :rolleyes: but, the messages continued.

After about a week, they started getting rather nasty. Apparently, since the guy couldn't be found, a warrant was issued for his arrest :eek: and they were coming.

At that point, I just had to laugh. Not only did they not have jurisdiction in PA, but they probably had no idea where they were calling. Besides, even if they did, would it be worth the 5-hour car ride for me to tell them to "shove it?"

And no, they never showed up. Oddly enough, I don't get *any* wrong-number calls now :lol:

Noelegy
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
The most "WTF?" wrong number I ever got came not long after I got my cell phone. I answered the phone once, told the caller he had the wrong number, and ended the call. The phone rang again, showing the same incoming number on the ID. I said, "You've still got the wrong number," and the caller said, "Well then, why are you answering the phone?" I couldn't help it, I laughed. I replied, "Because it's MY phone." He hung up.

Rapscallion
01-04-2007, 07:51 AM
The amount of times I've answered wrong number calls and they phoned back within twenty seconds...

I got used to picking up the phone the second time and saying, "You hit redial and this is still me and not the person you want."

I've yet to be wrong on that.

Rapscallion

Boozy
01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Years ago when I still lived at home, we'd get these wrong number calls every few nights, always between 11 pm and 3 pm. Always a guy, different guy each time, always asked for "Nadine".
I swore up and down that if I ever met Nadine, I'd call her at 3 am and yell at her. She'd clearly decided to use OUR number as her standard fake number to give out to insistent guys she met at bars. I wish women wouldn't do that. Its neither fair to the guy nor to the poor person at the other end who has to be the one to let this guy know he's been blown off.

DGoddessChardonnay
01-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I've been through this "wrong number/wrong person" scenario for quite a few years. Just not within probably the last year or more, thankfully.

For several years, we were getting phone calls for a woman called "Rosa Delk." Keep in mind, this was on our main phone line (we have 2 phone lines w/separate numbers) and this was an ongoing thing.

Credit card companies/telemarketers/utility companies . . . everyone was looking for Rosa. After a few months of this (and we'd had our phone number ever since we moved into our home 17 years ago) I started questioning one person.

Turned out the number they had in their computer was completely different. Yet they were getting OUR phone. I suggested contacting the phone company and having their lines checked, because we'd had xxx=yyyy since 1990 and that's the line that we were currently talking on. I also told them this had gone on for quite a while now and was getting rather old.

A few months passed without incident, then the calls started again. I had to tell people to quit calling whatever number they were getting because they were gettin X number instead of the Y they were calling. I had already complained once about it, had this number for years and I shouldn't have to change this number because of some idiot that wasn't paying her bills.

Then on the second line a few years ago, there was a lady who kept calling looking for "Betty." I dont' know anyone by that name either. I was nice, as this lady sounded older and may have been confused and accidentally dialed a wrong digit and got our 2nd line by mistake.

This continued for a few weeks, sometimes several calls in the same evening. I was getting rather tired of thie situation and even repeatedly told her what the phone number was, hoping to get her to see that she had a wrong number. Didn't work.

One evening, after having to answer the phone several times during the course of maybe a couple of hours, I got fed up and let it rip.

"BETTY IS AT FRED'S HOUSE MAKING THE BED ROCK!" I screamed into the phone and hung up.:devil:

Never heard back from her.

HYHYBT
01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
The amount of times I've answered wrong number calls and they phoned back within twenty seconds...

I got used to picking up the phone the second time and saying, "You hit redial and this is still me and not the person you want."

I've yet to be wrong on that.
They're actually hitting redial? I expect a wrong number to call back once, in case they dialed wrong as opposed to having wrong information...

(off topic) Of course, I've also had redial get me through when the first try didn't. Not for a real wrong number. But the phone company has a recording telling people they have to dial the area code before local numbers. It's only supposed to play if you leave the area code off, of course, but I've gotten it several times and hanging up and hitting redial gets through.

Rapscallion
01-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Most of the time, the phone went again within five seconds. I'm sure they were hitting redial.

Rapscallion

Arcade Man D
01-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Well, some poor woman didn't get her mortgage, because I was being called by her mortgage company, including leaving voicemails ((despite them asking for a clearly female name, and my voice on the voicemail being low enough to not be mistaken for a female's. My name is, unfortunately, androgynous.)). I got sick of one company that was calling me from Georgia, and I called back and requested that they fix their records. When I kept getting the calls, I called back again, and requested a bit more firmly that they remove the number from their records, as I have always been, and will always be, male.

My main beef? They called me while I was at work. My cell is my only phone, as, well, I'm a bachelor. Why do I need a land-line?

Luckily the calls have finally died down after I was a bit less than polite with them. Something about 5 calls over the space of an hour being wrong numbers, all from different people, while you're waiting for a call back on an application, you know.

Dreamstalker
01-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Apparently, my Boston cell exchange is also a cell (or something) exchange in Santa Fe. For a few weeks my sophomore year I was getting voicemails consisting of pizza orders....also another wrong number who appeared to be a frantic businessman in AZ trying to contact his cohort who was in NM. I was going to call the poor guy back and explain that he had a wrong number, but he never left a callback.

For awhile I was also getting some really sketchy texts...

Even if an exchange is duplicated in another state, wouldn't you still need to dial the area code in order to get that precise wrong number?

Pagan
01-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Even if an exchange is duplicated in another state, wouldn't you still need to dial the area code in order to get that precise wrong number?

I should think so! From what I can see, Boston's area codes aren't even close to the 505! (Our area code split should prove interesting!)

Once in a blue moon, we'd get calls for someone in Las Cruces, Mexico. The people hadn't realized that they somehow managed to dial Las Cruces, NEW Mexico.

Reyneth
01-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Maybe some of you can confirm or discredit a pattern I think I've noticed in wrong-number calls. In general (there ARE exceptions both directions), women callers are much more polite about it than men callers. Women usually apologize and hang up, men get annoyed with you for not being the person they were looking for. )

It seems that way.
However, if a woman is calling looking for a man and you, a female, answer the phone - sometimes they can get suspicious and accuse you of being a prostitute (or more crass version) and where is her man and all of that. Been there, done that - and sick of it.

My most extreme/chronic wrong number story is from about 3 years ago. I started getting voice mails, vague ones, on my cell phone late at night. Like between 11 and 4. Back then, I usually kept my phone off except when I was using it or expecting a call or whatever and sometimes I slept through the calls.
They would keep calling and asking for some slang nickname and would make general refrences to "merch" - YKWIM
After a month and about 12-15 calls, I finally answered one night at 2, YELLING at the phone that they *better* not call me any more as I obviously not who they were trying to get ahold of, or I'd be reporting all of the numbers they have called me from and left as contacts to the police. That stopped the calls.

CrazedClerk
01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
A friend of my father's had a phone number that was very close to that of a local pizza place.

After getting fed up with all the calls from people looking for pizzas, he started taking orders...

...turns out this Pizza place had one of those "30 minutes or it's free" deals.

Not long after he started taking "orders", the Pizza place changed their phone number.

And also the number for my dad's company was one digit off the number for Revenue Canada (Canadian version of IRS). He REALLY hated March and April.

Despite the fact his message said "Thank you for calling XYZ Corporation Canada" he would get tons of calls and messages from people about taxes, sometimes they'd leave their SIN number (Canadian equivalent of social security). Man if my dad ever wanted to become a bad guy, he could have a field day.

Dreamstalker
01-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I should think so! From what I can see, Boston's area codes aren't even close to the 505! (Our area code split should prove interesting!)

Once in a blue moon, we'd get calls for someone in Las Cruces, Mexico. The people hadn't realized that they somehow managed to dial Las Cruces, NEW Mexico.
Oy. Even I've never heard of crossed lines/line noise that bad.

What I didn't get about the pizza calls is...who leaves a voicemail to order pizza with no callback info? (unless these dummies were regulars at whatever pizza place they were trying to call, although it should have been clear from my outgoing message that the number is not that of a pizza joint)

I'm now getting what appears to be emailed attachments from a number I don't recognize and can't get any info on other than it's a Boston cell phone. I'm not opening that attachment...

Rapscallion
01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
What I didn't get about the pizza calls is...who leaves a voicemail to order pizza with no callback info? (unless these dummies were regulars at whatever pizza place they were trying to call, although it should have been clear from my outgoing message that the number is not that of a pizza joint)

We get that all the time in our customer services department.

Just after christmas, we had about sixty unanswered emails in our inbox, and I was assigned the fast-fingered task of replying to these in short order. Fully two-thirds were from people asking for catalogues, and the vast majority didn't have enough information in order for us to send a catalogue. Most of these were cases of us not knowing if they were trade or food group requests, but I had nine that didn't have anything other than a request for a catalogue with no other information.

There were nearly thirty voice mails backed up, and four of those wanted us to phone them back - again, no information.

Rapscallion

Bliss
01-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I witnessed a good one once. As you might've noticed, I'm gay (bears relevance), and I was hanging out at a friend's house one day with a bunch of gay friends. When one starts receiving wrong number calls on his cell phone. It was a girl (17 or 18) calling her boyfriend. And no matter how many times my friend insisted the number was wrong, she insisted that was the number he gave her.

After the fifth time she called (insistent little....) we became so fed up that we decided to start toying with her. Basically we passed the telephone around. And in no time had her convinced that her boyfriend was a closeted gay and was having an affair with ALL of us. :D at the end, the poor girl was near tears... that's when she realized she DID have a wrong number.

And before you all kill me for how we treated her (after she insisted so much) the night ended with most of us talking long with her helping her with her life and relationship problems :) that was an odd experience for sure.

ShortTemperHatesStupidity
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I used to have a nextel for emergencies when I worked in property management. The pain in the arse about those phones is that stupid walkie-talkie feature. About a week after I had the phone activated some random mexican (I say that because he didn't speak a lick of english) starts "beeping" me at 1 in the morning. I responded and told him he had the wrong number (in spanish, of course) and thought that would be the end of it.

Too bad I was wrong...

Rinse and repeat the above for another three days. By the third night I was cursing this dude up and down... I wish I could track him with GPS or something. I'd have made a visit :devil: I changed the number the next day.

FormerCallingCardRep
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I've been having trouble with this guy who is purposely transposing his phone number and giving my number to all of his creditors and girls that he picks up in bars.

I have had the following happen:

1) A car repo agent calling me telling me that they are going to come repo my car. The problem is I paid cash for my car and have the title.

2) Girls calling all hours of the night cussing me out when I answer the phone.

3) Numerous credit card collectors calling for him.

I have even gone as far as changing my voice mail message saying if you are calling for C T he has given you the wrong number, his number is . Please contact him at that number. If I do not know the number calling me I let it go to voice mail.