PDA

View Full Version : Oh my goodness! *CRUNCH*

CaroPhoenix
07-21-2009, 06:44 PM
So, today, Child Rum & I decided to head out to the local Wegman's because we needed groceries. I'm going down the street in my Mazda SUV, listening to Fischer Price's Little People singing about the Ants going marching.

We go through 1 stop light, we go through the second stop light (which is located in front of a Fire Department). The car in front of me decides to break. I break quickly & then I hear a huuuuuge CRUNCH sound and see that someone hit me!

Child Rum & I are unhurt. The driver of the car that hit me are unhurt. I did call 911 (the emergency number here in the states). There is a case number and now paperwork, claims, and having to see where I should take my car to get the bumper undented, the trailer hitch untwisted and out from under the car, etc., etc.

And all Child Rum cares about is going to the grocery store. :rolleyes:

And Mr. Rum is going to "try" to get out of work on time. Why can't he come home early?

BookstoreEscapee
07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I can't answer the last question (I don't know what he does for a living, for starters), but I'm glad no one was hurt. The car can be fixed, and since you were rear-ended, the other person's insurance should pay for it. The worst part is the inconvenience of having your car in the shop!

CaroPhoenix
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
For the record, Mr. Rum works for a Government Agency where he's a Chief Financial Manager or something like that (they like to change his title every few months or so). He's the go-to in his office and he's the head manager for this location. It's 4:23, no phone call from him to make sure I'm still okay and whether or not he's coming home "on time". *le sigh*

I talked to my car insurance and they're helping me file with the other driver's insurance. The other driver's insurance has already contacted me and let me know they've got the claim, they've left messages with the other driver to call them back and then they'll contact me again.

I hate all this phone calling and waiting.

Setsunaela
07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
glad everyone's ok. Yeah the insurance phone-tag gets tedious, but at least the other party HAD insurance. :) My step-dad mentioned a fender bender near the fire dept. on his way toodling around town working, probably was you..

CaroPhoenix
07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
:ashamed:

Yeah, if he were toodling around town about 1 PM this afternoon, then it was me and Child Rum.

:ashamed:

Ahem ... At least the major part of phone tag is no longer in the equation. In the morning I call the body shop I want to use, and everything is taken care of by the other person's insurance. I'll even have a rental car paid for. :D

RootedPhoenix
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Glad you and Child Rum are okay! :hug:
Hope your car is fixed soon.

CaroPhoenix
07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm calling the auto body shop that is a little far away from my house. However, since they work with the other insurance, they bill the insurance directly, nothing out of pocket on my end. Also, I'll be getting a rental car, so that is incredibly nice too.

I'm winding down now. Getting tired and sleepy. More than likely Child Rum or I or both or neither will have bruises or not. We're a hardy bunch. :roll:

Food Lady
07-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Glad you're ok! I had to laugh at the fact that Child Rum was mostly concerned about the grocery store. Part of her unique charm.

CaroPhoenix
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm getting the car fixed on the 28th of July. I'll also be getting a rental car for the duration of the time the car is in the shop. Both my mother & my sister have used this auto body shop, and I've heard nothing but rave reviews from them.

As said before, the other insurance is taking care of everything!

And I checked both me & Child Rum this morning - no bruises from the seat belts or anything so that is good. And we're not sore neither. Whew.

SteverinoNY
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Just a random question, but is Mr Rum's job more important than the well-being of his family? If my dad heard that his wife and child(ren) were in a car accident, he would split work ASAP. I don't know what he's thinking when he's just taking his sweet ass time coming home. I know its hard, but I'm personally starting to get fed up with the antics of Mr. Rum.

However, Child Rum is great and keep her learning and growing and as innocent as possible :)

CaroPhoenix
07-22-2009, 05:03 PM
My husband is a thick-headed fool. I railed at him, yelled, silent treated him, and he's still confused as to why I was like that yesterday.

I told him I just needed his physical presence with me as I talked to people on the phone.

I hate talking to people I don't know on the phone. I get sick to my stomach, my tongue gets tied, and I rush through what I need to say. :cry:

He just doesn't understand. Short of drawing pictures, I have no clue on how to get him to understand.

I've made a grocery list, but not sure if I want to drive my car about town to do it. It's driveable, but I don't want the bumper falling off or the trailer hitch (which is completely bent under the car) to add more damage to my Tribute.

Decisions .. decisions.

Sarlon
07-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Make Mr. Rum do the shopping :P as payback for his antics yesterday.

Glad you and the kid are ok and unhurt. :)

cinema guy
07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Glad you and childRum are okay and the insuranc is taking care of everything.

protege
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
:hug: Glad nobody got hurt. Since I started driving...I've been in multiple rear-end collisions.

First time, was not long after I got my license. I was stopped behind another car. Light turned green, he went, I went. Mid-way through the intersection...he hit the brakes. I couldn't stop on the slick road...and slid right into him, totaling his car :eek:

Second time...was about a year later :rolleyes: My car was overheating, and as I was trying to get it off the road...the engine blew up :eek: About a second later, someone hit me, totaling my car.

Third time...was on the way to work one morning. I was stopped in a line of cars. Some dipshit in a Lexus was too busy messing with his phone, and rammed me at 40mph. How I didn't then hit the car in front of *me* I'll never know!

Last time, was last April. I was coming around a ramp, but stopped before merging onto the main road. I have this thing about pulling into oncoming traffic ;) The guy behind me wasn't paying attention--he was looking backwards, and didn't know that I'd stopped.

Getting back on topic, at least nobody got seriously hurt. When I was hit, I found that the best thing for whiplash...was several hot water bottles on my neck and back. Well, that and taking a day or two off :p

Broomjockey
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Glad you and ChildRum are good, no bruises or soreness, and that the other insurance is dealing with everything. That could have been a rough spot. Do me a favour and smack Mr. Rum with a wiffle bat for being so clueless though :angel:

Setsunaela
07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
i'd offer to shop for you but i'm very very bad at sticking to grocery lists, especially in Weggies, as my grandmother has dubbed it.

CaroPhoenix
07-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I went grocery shopping today with Child Rum. Stuck sorta close to home (I went to a local Harris Teeter - had to return a red box movie).

The back end really needs an alignment besides the bumper/trailer hitch getting fixed. Otherwise it was driveable.

I will admit to being nervous driving since the accident. I made sure I went exactly the speed limit and had enough room in front of me in case I needed to break suddenly. However, it seemed to me all the tail-gaters were out in force today. :(

And I've also learned something else today: If I threaten to take something that needs to be put together (like Child Rum's new lamp or her toy chest) to my parent's house to have DaddyRum put it together, Mr. Rum actually gets it done! :devil:

CaroPhoenix
07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Took the Mazda to the auto body shop. Then Child Rum & I got to go to the local Enterprise shop and get a rental car. I got a Dodge Charger to tootle around in!

Child Rum is a little overwhelmed. She keeps talking about Mommy's "old car" and I need to go back to the "car doctor" to get the "old car". She's okay though. I explained I'm only borrowing the car and I'll give it back as soon as my car is fixed.

Hopefully by tomorrow, she won't care that it's not really Mommy's car. :)

CaroPhoenix
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Got a call from the gentleman who was working on my car at the auto body shop.

What he told me is just not good. :cry:

Turns out, when they took off the back bumper (after getting it on the fixing rack), they realized my car had more damage than what you could see. (I consider that the WTF?)

The undercarriage and the floor underneath are crumpled. The back left passenger door doesn't close properly.

The gentleman told me i was lucky that I had no problems with driving it.

It's now been put into the "massive crash damage" part of their shop.

Hopefully it won't stay there long.

protege
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
The undercarriage and the floor underneath are crumpled. The back left passenger door doesn't close properly.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but straightening a bent frame is a bitch. It can be done, but it's usually expensive. As such, frame damage is usually treated as a "write-off" by insurance companies.

CaroPhoenix
07-30-2009, 10:14 PM
protege - the other driver's insurance company is the one paying for it.

Is there a possibility that they'll refuse to pay or try to have my insurance company declare it a "write-off"?

I have no clue. I haven't heard back from the Auto Body Shop today (I was told to expect a call). I think I'll call in the morning.

I hate having to deal with damaged cars. :cry:

I'm not happy. And Child Rum is still upset that she has to ride around in the "Doctor's Car" as she refers to the rental.

CaroPhoenix
07-31-2009, 02:33 PM
My poor car.

It has over $6K in damages.

Basically they're going to be taking the entire trunk area off the car to rework/fix/replace everything.

They estimate that they do 5 business days for every $1k in damages.

I just feel sick to mys stomach. So far, no word from State Farm concerning the repair costs and I can keep the rental car until my car is fixed.

But still ...

All the numbers and repairs make me incredibly nervous.

:cry:

protege
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
protege - the other driver's insurance company is the one paying for it.

Is there a possibility that they'll refuse to pay or try to have my insurance company declare it a "write-off"?

Some companies will simply total out the car, rather than paying for the repairs. I mean, how old is the car? Is it in good shape?

For example, when my Ford got smashed up, it was written off. Keep in mind that it was about 8 years old, and wasn't worth anything. IIRC, the car was worth only about $400 or so. Not worth fixing when you consider that the engine had blown up. That alone would have cost well over a grand...just in parts! Body damage was estimated around two grand. Again, not worth fixing. Insurance company cut me a check for what they thought the car was worth. Still bugs me that I'd gone over the car and had some work done. I took out the rust in the doors, pounded the dents out of the hood, etc. Ended up getting just under two grand for the wreck; the car was towed to a scrapyard and cut up.

Then there was my '91 Tercel. That got hit about 2 days after New Year's 2000. Most of the damage was confined to the left rear corner. All they did was cut out the damage, weld in some new metal, paint it and fit a new bumper and light. Up until that point, I'd kept that car spotless. This time, the insurance company didn't total it--they paid the $2k bill for repairs...which was about half of what I paid for the car! Of course, the body shop did an awesome job--it looked like new! Sadly, I sold it about 6 months later :cry:

I should mention that when the Tercel got hit, State Farm (which wasn't my insurance company) wanted to get it taken care of quickly. Most of the delays associated with this sort of thing, are usually because someone has to pay for it, and that figuring out who is supposed to is what takes time.

Rum, I sort of know what your daughter means. I *hate* rental cars! Something about having to drive someone else's car, I guess. Oh, and there's usually various things wrong with said car :p

CaroPhoenix
07-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, I did a little research on the Kelly Blue Book value of the car. The repairs are around exactly 1/2 of what the car is worth. (The estimate is around $6,200 actually and the car is worth roughly $13,000 - $13,500).

They'll also be taking off the entire trunk, refitting stuff, fixing other things, replacing complete sections. Most of the delay now, I believe is getting parts to fix the car.

Child Rum might now like the rental car, but I love it and since I'm the adult and driving, I should be the one who gets a say! :p

ETA:

This is what I found at the Kelly Blue Book website, plugging in the condition/whatever of the car before the accident:

If we were to trade it in, would be anywhere between $7,725 - $9,025 from a dealer.
Private Party value (If I were to sell it to someone off the street) would be between $11,665 to $10,365.
Suggest Retail Value for it, in Excellent condition is $13,335

So I have no clue why they're allowing the car to be fixed.

CaroPhoenix
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I got my Mazda Tribute back from the Auto Body Shop.

My Mazda is all nice and shiny and Child Rum is thrilled to be back in Mommy's car.

I, on the other hand, am not happy.

I was spoiled by the Dodge Charget I got to drive for a month.

My Mazda drives ... well, it drives like a truck. :cry: