PDA

View Full Version : Overtime

Worker-Intellectual
07-15-2006, 06:14 AM
What should I do if the crappy retail place I work isn't paying me the overtime that I am legally entitled to? I had this issue last Christmas, when I was asked to work in the warehouse for a few shifts one week... silly me though that being scheduled for over 40 hours in a week would result in me being payed time and a half just because that is what they legally have to pay me according to Manitoba law. I complained to my manager 4 or 5 times, then looked in the employee handbook. It says "Overtime will only be paid unless Authorized by the General Manager" (underline is their emphasis, not mine). Eventually I just decided to drop it because I didn't have authorization from the GM, I was just asked by my manager to work those shifts and said "sure," even though I still have my pay stub showing I worked over 84 hours in two weeks, therefore at least 44 hours one of those two weeks, and 44 is a bigger number than 40. So I figure they owe me between $15 and $20 of the "and a half" part of overtime.

Fast forward a few months to today. Last week I was working in the warehouse and on 2 occaisions was asked to stay a few (probably 10-15) minutes to finish the painting I was doing. This week I worked a 12-9 shift (with an hour lunch off the clock so technically it's only 8 hours), but since we are required to be at the till 5 minutes before the shift starts (per the owner), I clocked in around 11:53 or so. And, since we can't cash out until the customers leave (you know SC's still shop at 9:01), and after we are done cashing out we still have to put away all the returns from the day, I wound up punching out around 9:35. And I have one of those feelings that my next paycheck (the 23rd) will not have the time and a half on it for those 40ish minutes I worked on cash or those 2x15ish minutes painting. Overall, it's a difference of about $3-4, and part of me wants to be the "good worker" who takes crap from the company :angel: and it will pay off one day because of my good attitude (even though it won't) and another part of me wants to say "F*** them, I should get what I am legally entitled to" :devil:

So, what should I do in this situation? I know $3 isn't much of a difference either way, but I am sick of getting screwed out of overtime pay. But, on the other hand, I don't want management to hate me for complaining? What should I do?

purplecat41877
07-15-2006, 06:17 AM
I would call or write a letter to payroll. You're supposed to get paid for all hours worked including overtime.;)

Broomjockey
07-15-2006, 06:25 AM
I'd double check the overtime laws. I don't know about Manitoba, but in Alberta, its only after 44 hours in a week, so if you had say 43 hours both weeks, that would be 86, but not qualify for overtime. However, more than 8 hours a day, you should get that. If its not on there, start complaining.