PDA

View Full Version : My god not again...

MistressCrys
12-14-2006, 08:05 PM
I work for Walgreens and we all know what kind of muzak plays there.....
And the other night we had several customers in the store when the very famous Barbara Streisand starts singing "Jingle Bells" over the stores intercom system. After hearing her about a dozen times in less than 2 hours you tend tend to want to pull your hair out... When this lady (whom I am kinda glad I don't know her!!!) walks up and says to me " You really do play the best divas in here!" not only was she serious she even wanted to know if she could buy the cd which it plays from, I was so trying to keep a straight face as I then informed her that it was on a music system that we have. She wanted to speak to the manager about ordering it for herself... Makes you wonder what she was thinking really... Kinda scary thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shivers with total and absolute fear:

AFpheonix
12-15-2006, 08:04 AM
We managed to find a way to turn the speaker off back in the pharmacy with us, so we don't hear it :devil:

Look on the bright side, though. They're not playing that depressing Olivia Newton-John song for breast cancer awareness month anymore....

danegrous_21
12-16-2006, 06:14 PM
at my sports and outdoors store we have been playing christmas music since black friday. i heard everything song sung my at least 5 differnet artists. its amazing how many times one song can be recorded by a different person. one that stuck me is that "santa baby" song sung by a guy.:confused:

Dria
12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
We've also had Christmas music on since the day after Black Friday, and I'm fair sick of it. It's commercial-free, meaning no breaks and therefore you get everything ranging from mediocre to mental-scarring horrible. Julie Andrews' rendition of Sleigh Ride is particularly loathsome. There *are* a few decent songs in there, but so few and far between, and it never plays any of the good ones... you know, things like "The Twelve Pains of Christmas" and "Walking 'Round in Women's Underwear".

Cosmic Cat
12-17-2006, 01:36 AM
at my sports and outdoors store we have been playing christmas music since black friday. i heard everything song sung my at least 5 differnet artists. its amazing how many times one song can be recorded by a different person. one that stuck me is that "santa baby" song sung by a guy.:confused:

My store played the male "Santa Baby" song last year. It's creepy. It sounds cute when a girl sings it, but a guy? Ew.

Becks
12-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Vaguely :ot: Yesterday, a few of us at work decided to see how often some songs repeat. Within six hours, they played "Sleigh Ride" six times. I left the list at work, though.

Every time I hear "Santa Baby" I want to punch walls. Give me twenty different versions of "Little Drummer Boy" and some Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I'll be a happy Becky. :D

bean
12-17-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm just glad I can't hear the store music from my counter :angel:

Unfortunately, I also can't hear the PA system.

lordlundar
12-17-2006, 05:45 AM
It sounds cute when a girl sings it,

Sorry, but I've heard two versions of it today. The original version, which sounds like Marilyn Monroe singing it, and a pop culture version. (Duff or Spears or similar) I found it to be no comparison. The pop culture one sounds horrible when put up against the original.

I'm not sure I wanna hear the male one. :puke:

I think the store has a betting pool to see when the music makes me snap and I come in with a rifle and shoot the speakers. :devil:

blas
12-17-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm just hoping and praying they won't start playing christmas music at work. well, we have XM satellite radio (with hundreds of channels) but it never fails, 4 out of 7 days of the week, it's country. I don't know which is worse.

So far, no christmas music, yay!

However...

there's already a remake of Hinder's "Lips of an angel"....country style.
I wanna find that cowboy and run him over with his own tractor.

Delacroix
12-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I've grown to hate the music on guitar hero.
It's not even the actual band singing, they pull some guy off the street for the vocals and credit the band for the song.

On the bright side, we have all sorts of jokes pertaining to the commercial reel we have playing on the tv next to the counter.

AFpheonix
12-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Gah, they have Guitar Hero set up at my husband's store. There's a batch of kids that get dropped off there daily by their mom until close, and the sit there and play it for hours on end. I went in there with him a week or two ago to buy him his christmas prezzie, and they apparently had discovered the electric guitars they also sell, and were attempting to play it.

Oh god, it was bad. Look buddy, there's no red or green button on the real guitar. Give it up please.
Someone less diplomatic than I ran into the aisle and screamed "You suck!" at them :lol:

Delacroix
12-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Ew. I hate it when parents drop their kids off at our store. It's like...we don't run a babysitting service! If you're going to leave your kid here, at least buy SOMETHING.

Haha, of course. On a real guitar you also have to understand that you need to press rather hard to make the strings actually make a clear sound, or else it'll buzz, and that will suck.

XD that dude, whoever he was, rocked.

B&NGoddess
12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
there's already a remake of Hinder's "Lips of an angel"....country style.
I wanna find that cowboy and run him over with his own tractor.

god that song sucks hard enough as it is. make it country and the suck factor enters orbit.

flybye023
12-18-2006, 01:13 AM
The one Christmas song I absolutely hate now is "The Holly and the Ivy". We had a version sung by a young boy where he just punches the word "ivy".

The Hol-ly and the IV-y...:cry:

Bella_Vixen
12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Sorry, but I've heard two versions of it today. The original version, which sounds like Marilyn Monroe singing it, and a pop culture version. (Duff or Spears or similar) I found it to be no comparison. The pop culture one sounds horrible when put up against the original.

I'm not sure I wanna hear the male one. :puke:

I think the store has a betting pool to see when the music makes me snap and I come in with a rifle and shoot the speakers. :devil:

I think it's the lead singer guy from Everclear, but I'm not completely sure. ::shudder::

Becks
12-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Someone less diplomatic than I ran into the aisle and screamed "You suck!" at them :lol:

Oh, I know plenty of people who'd do that, while I scamper off after them, laughing.

ShinyGreenApple
12-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Whoever wrote Santa Baby should be tortured. I don't care who's singing it, it always seems dirty in the worst possible way. :eek: Another one I can't tolerate (loathe and abhor are good words to describe how it makes me feel), and please don't throw things at me, but Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime." I'm sorry but I just can't stand it when a song consists mostly of the same phrase being repeated over and over. They probably ran that one four times a day when I was with the evil smiley face place. Thankfully, there is no PA system at call centers, so I'm freed from the monotony of it all.

ArenaBoy
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Blas, make sure no one discovers the station "Holly" on XM or you're in trouble. My mom has had Christmas music playing since late November and she has actually called me a Scrooge for suggesting to listen to something else.

ShinyGreenApple
12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I have XM radio and I will admit to listening to Holly alot as of late, or Traditions. I don't hate Christmas music, just certain aspects of it. I do grow lonesome for my soundtracks though, and end up putting a CD in sometimes. Oh, and ditto to whoever said something about putting Trans-Siberian on all day. Freaking awesome.

Pezzle
12-18-2006, 06:43 PM
The beauty of working at the tech bench: we have our own computer w/ nice logitech speakers. We also have a laptop with bose companion 5 speakers on the network, right by the bench >: ).

So I'll be blasting David Clarke, Infected Mushroom, Sisters of Mercy, ASP, Rammstein, Combichrist, Richthofen -- you name it, I love it, I play it. Screw christmas.

I mean, besides the Trans-Siberian Orchestra version of The Carol of the Bells : >

KuzcoLlama
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Pezzle, that song rocks my socklets so much.

I love my desk. Headphones on, I can play whatever I want. The only drawback is people tapping on my shoulder to get my attention. Nearly took out an eye the first couple of times.

MadMike
12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
I love my desk. Headphones on, I can play whatever I want. The only drawback is people tapping on my shoulder to get my attention. Nearly took out an eye the first couple of times.

You too, huh? Most people learn not to do that after seeing me spring straight up from my chair and almost hit the ceiling. :o

Dreamstalker
12-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Whoever wrote Santa Baby should be tortured. I don't care who's singing it, it always seems dirty in the worst possible way. :eek:
So I'm not the only one who thinks that song is wrong.

I generally dislike all Christmas music (except Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Tom Lehrer's "A Christmas Carol", and a few other oddball ones).

Gurndigarn
12-19-2006, 01:26 AM
So I'll be blasting David Clarke, Infected Mushroom, Sisters of Mercy, ASP, Rammstein, Combichrist, Richthofen -- you name it, I love it, I play it. Screw christmas.

I mean, besides the Trans-Siberian Orchestra version of The Carol of the Bells : >

I just wish TSO would get off their Christmas kick and do something else like Beethoven's Last Night. "A Last Illusion" and "Mozart" kept me awake on many a long trip coming home from my furthest out stop (1 hr, 50 minutes, almost all on back roads... and the place doesn't open until 7PM most days, so I may not leave there until 8...)

AFpheonix
12-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I believe Eartha Kitt sang the first version of Santa Baby.

The christmas song that I despise the MOST has to be "Do They Know It's Christmas" from Band Aid. The sheer stupidity of lamenting that there won't be snow in Africa this christmas kills me. Hello?! Snow is quite possibly the last thing a bunch of people in a refugee camp needs, thanks. However, the worst line has to be, hands down, " Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you ". Gee, how touching.

ShinyGreenApple
12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Another overplayed one is Christmas Shoes, the name of the artist escapes me at the moment. Yes, it was kind of sweet when it was first released, but it loses it's touch when played twice an hour. That along with Grown Up Christmas List. Sap is for trees, people! Guess I just like the traditional stuff and hymns. Everything else just irritates me.

Banrion
12-19-2006, 01:33 PM
My favorite x-mas music is Manheim Steamroller!! I could listen to them for months on end and not get sick of it!

KuzcoLlama
12-19-2006, 03:55 PM
You too, huh? Most people learn not to do that after seeing me spring straight up from my chair and almost hit the ceiling. :o

Yeah. Too bad it's a lot of "almost got hit," or people would learn faster.

SuperDan
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Another overplayed one is Christmas Shoes, the name of the artist escapes me at the moment.

That would be Newsong

Becks
12-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Blas, make sure no one discovers the station "Holly" on XM or you're in trouble.

After many attempts, they finally found Holly on the system at work. Oddly enough, I don't think they're playing Adam Sandler on it this year. :cry:

MadMike
12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I just wish TSO would get off their Christmas kick and do something else like Beethoven's Last Night.

They have one in the works. They mention it at their concerts every time I go to one, and play this one song that's going to be on it. I think they said the album is going to be called "White Castle."

Unfortunately, it's been "Coming very soon" for I don't know how many years now...

If you like TSO's non-Christmas stuff, you might want to check out some stuff from Savatage, which is the other band that TSO pretty much evolved from, at least the more recent stuff. The early stuff is straight-out hard rock/metal, but in their later stuff, they started to expand their sound, and blend a bit of classical in here and there.

Their hasn't been a Savatage album in over 5 years, and their website hasn't been updated since two summers ago, so I'm guessing they decided to focus on TSO entirely.

Cosmic Cat
12-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I just remembered another song I can't stand. It goes like this:

I want a car and a I want a bike and I want a first class trip to Hawaii
Blah blah blah blah
I want, I want, blah blah, gimme gimme

Just give me things that I don't need
Because it's Christmas
And I want everything
I just can't wait
Christmas
I want everything
I want a million gifts tonight
That's right
So don't forget my Christmas list tonight.

Well you know what? I want you to shut the hell up, but that's not going to happen any more than your "million gifts."

XCashier
12-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Whoever wrote Santa Baby should be tortured. I don't care who's singing it, it always seems dirty in the worst possible way. :eek:
You should hear Madonna's version, from the "A Very Special Christmas" CD. Ugh, it's horrible.

lizstar
12-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Where I work, they've been playing Sarah McLachlan's new Christmas album a lot, which I actually like. It's much better than the "easy-listening" junk they play the rest of the year...