PDA

View Full Version : Is your facebook profile costing you jobs?

CrazedClerkthe2nd
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I was on another site reading some comments in regard to a CNN web story about how important a myspace or Facebook profile can be to a hiring manager. According to the story, a lot of hiring managers check online profiles of potential applicants and rule them out if they find such things as:

- Inappropriate photos (someone doing stupid stuff while drunk, photos of illegal activity, photos that are too sexual or lewd in nature)

- Posts complaining about previous employers and coworkers

- Material that is overly political, religious or inflammatory in nature (anti-gay statements for example)

- In some cases you may be excluded by comments your friends or relatives make on your page, for example if a friend posts on your wall something like: "Dude that boss was a real asshole, glad to see you stuck it to him!"

I googled myself and came up with only a few results, none of which are damaging to me. I also googled my two main emails and found no results whatsoever.

But do you think it's fair that hiring managers are using facebook profiles as a way to determine whether or not someone is suitable for hire?

The usual wisdom is that NOTHING is private online and you shouldn't put up things you don't want everyone to see.

I don't think a facebook profile should necessarily exclude someone but I also feel companies could use it as a tool to covertly discriminate against candidates on illegal grounds without penalty (for example if you see on a profile for "John Smith" that he is Christian and decide not to hire him for that reason or you see "Joe Brown" is a black person and decide not to hire him for that reason.

I guess the real questions here are:

How much info about you is a company entitled to before they interview you?
and
How large a role should your "off the clock" activities play in determining your eligibility for a job?

Hobbs
04-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, if I boast about smoking weed or driving drunk on FB and my command sees it, I'm looking at a court-martial.

technical.angel
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Crazed, I needed to check my permissions. Not that I really post anything.... anything up there, but I saw my wall wasn't blocked. Is now!

jedimaster91
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I have everything on my Facebook set to "Friends Only" and I don't add bosses unless I'm not working for them anymore. My former boss from the library is on my friends list because I really liked her. I also have my favorite former coworkers on my friends list.

I also subscribe to the notion if you don't want everyone to know, don't post it online. If I really need to rant about something work related I come here or another small online community because both are protected against guests, and I or my place of work can't be easily identified.

RetailWorkhorse
04-06-2010, 06:26 PM
My facebook isn't in my real name. :P

freaktard
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
My Facebook page has nothing interesting on it whatsoever!

Lindsey
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
That's why my entire Facebook is friends-only, all that non-friends have access to is my profile photo (nothing interesting) and my birthdate and network.

Aut
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
That's why my entire Facebook is friends-only, all that non-friends have access to is my profile photo (nothing interesting) and my birthdate and network.
Me too, if even that much.

But then that also makes me wonder if other things outside of the interview and application could have an effect. I once called a guy that was on our waiting list and got his voicemail. His greeting was so full of profanities and threats to "find and kill you", that it scared me and I hung up. I thought that if I was a potential employer, he would have lost the job right there.

Andara Bledin
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
There's a post on Failbooking that's a shot of some girl getting pwned (and fired) by her manager for spouting off on her Facebook account.

I don't understand why people don't get that because Fb is all done in your own name and not under a handle or pseudonym that anything there can (and often will) come home to roost.

Then again, I've always subscribed to the notion that even stuff I post under a handle should reflect what I want people to know about me and exhibit a certain level of decorum anyway, so my Fb activities aren't really any different.

Oh, and I prohibit anyone else from posting to my Fb wall. I'm just controlling like that.

^-.-^

SG15Z
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Everything on my profiles are friends-only for many reasons and this is one of them. I've known companies to not hire someone based on just who their friends are so yeah. I also never add any managers on any level on my friends list, but then again it's never come up. Plus I don't talk about my job that much on FB and MS unless I'm really really pissed. With the exception of in passing like "long day at work, soooo tired" or something to that effect. I also try not to give out names as well.

I prefer ranting with my coworkers in person myself.

ETA:

This site being the exception of course, though I rarely post stories these days.

fireheart
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Current manager doesn't have FB, however the manager above her and my 2IC both do. 2IC has added me, manager above manager hasn't.

My settings at the moment are that I've blocked everything bar photos (most of mine are fairly tame....in comparison to a few coworkers who have taken some cleavage shots) and I don't write anything about work except after a long day or a very very difficult customer. Although I've been a bit worried that bosses might see me as a little bit disturbed...with my depression and all...

telecom_goddess
04-06-2010, 11:46 PM
How large a role should your "off the clock" activities play in determining your eligibility for a job?

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I do off the clock is none of their business!!!

I will stick to that to my dying day.

C-130
04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
This has been recently been discussed within the UK. Unfortunately for an employer they can sued for not hireing a person here if the reasons can be deemed to be unacceptable. it was recently decided by a sherriff that it is inappropriate for an employer to research employees over the internet. It is also important to note that potential emplyoers should be base don first impressions and onrefrences.

Merriweather
04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I think most employers want to know as much as they can about potential employees, and most people realize that - that's why most resumes include a small amount of non-work related info, like volunteer jobs or hobbies or activities.

I also think that's normal and natural - I wouldn't want to hire a person who spent their spare time trying to overthrow the government, or robbing banks, or kicking puppies :lol:

Of course, like most things, some employers go too far - they want to hire someone of the "right" political party or "correct" church, or even a new golf partner. Obviously not the correct reason for hiring someone.

Most bosses aren't going to overlook a way to find more info about a person - they'll use facebook, etc. now, just like a small town boss will ask someone they think knows that person. If you lived in a small town you wouldn't tell the potential bosses nephew you were into illegal substances, so why would you put it up and allow anyone, him included, to see it on the internet?

And for the record, you can debate whether your substance of choice off-work is any of a boss' or potential boss' business, but the fact that an employee (or potential employee) is doing something on a regular basis that could get him arrested, even though off the clock, could easily be considerd his business, as a jailed employee isn't gonna make it in to work:roll:

AccountingDrone
04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
I simply do not do the online social page crap. I do not see why I need to update my every move for random people.

I do not understand why anybody feels the need to update the world on everything they do. I really do not care that you are done with breakfast and need to feed your cat now. I really dont care that there is nothing on tv. Now if you want to discuss why your meds make you feel odd, or you need an idea on what to do with 5 pounds of pork belly, I can possibly help you there. If you need to vent about idiotic customers, I can sympathize.

Argabarga
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I guess the real questions here are:

How much info about you is a company entitled to before they interview you?

As much as they can dig up legaly without breaking any laws.

As much as they feel it due.

Though I can afford to be kinda carefree and cavalier, I don't have a facebook page, a twitter account, a cell phone or a personal website (well, not anymore) so you'll have to get off your butt and dig through my trash cans to get any dirt on me.

iradney
04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
If they were to see my FB page, I think they'd die of boredom. Got pictures of food, my future husband, my family, friends and my dog.

dbuzman
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What I do off the clock is none of their business!!!

I will stick to that to my dying day.

This is exactly how I feel.

MrTim
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Facebook cost me a potential job. I know this because I applied for a company and then did a phone interview that (I thought) went well. I followed up a few days later and the HR lady was very condecending to me. She displayed her dislike of motorcycles and also did not appreciate that I had such a lack of experience for a man of my age. When I said that I did not have, nor have ever driven a motorcycle, she snapped at me.

Human Resource Biddy
Me

HRB - Well I SAW YOU on a Harley Davidson sir. We have many ways to check into potential employees and I don't appreciate your dishonesty.
Me - Ma'am, I assure you I have no motorcycle. I have never driven, on one in any way shape or form.
HRB - SIR, you can't decieve me, I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!
Me - That's is 100% false. I don't know what you think you saw, but it was not me.
HRB - You people need to learn that the internet is not truly private.
Me - [Finally piecing everything together] Wait, did you look up a myspace or Facebook profile?
HRB - [Extremelly condecending and self-righteous] Human Resource professionals have many tools at our disposal, SIR.
Me - Interesting. My father has several pictures of himself on his Facebook page, and I am a Junior so we have the same name. You were looking at a picture of my father.
HRB - [Sound of a gasp] I, um, well... I didn't...
Me - You know what, I have no desire to work for your company now if that is how you Human Resource professionals operate.
Click.

I give it that my name is somewhat unique, but to use a Facebook page as a source of evidence is laughable. It's like crediting a wikipedia page as a valid source of information. I thought about notifying that company's corporate headquarters, but I let it go.

Cookie
04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
If anybody uses my online profiles as an excuse to not hire me or fire me, I will rip them a new one. Publicly. My non-incognitocook personality is also a podcaster/blogger that has connections to some big blogs and podcasts that occasionally end up being featured on national news TV stations. The story would get out and it would get out in a big way.

Facebook is where I talk with a lot of my friends as they are scattered all over the world. What I say to my friends is my business. If an employer or potential employer eavesdropped on me and my friends and refused to hire me or fired me because of it, 20 kinds of shit would be hitting the fan. It's an invasion of privacy.

What I do in my off time is none of their business, even if it involved getting completely plastered and dancing on coffee tables naked. (It doesn't.) As long as I show up to work clothed, sober, and professional it shouldn't matter. That's the only part of my life my boss is in charge of.

Magpie
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Me - Interesting. My father has several pictures of himself on his Facebook page, and I am a Junior so we have the same name. You were looking at a picture of my father..

This, and this only, is why I put a picture on my LinkedIn profile. I don't like that it allows for pictures, but it does prevent that sort of confusion. (And given that the whole point of LinkedIn is for it to get me hired, I rather expect it to be seen by employeers).

telecom_goddess
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
This, and this only, is why I put a picture on my LinkedIn profile. I don't like that it allows for pictures, but it does prevent that sort of confusion. (And given that the whole point of LinkedIn is for it to get me hired, I rather expect it to be seen by employeers).

See now LinkedIn is where employers should be be looking for employee information, that's what it's for. I have no real personal info on there....cause it's a BUSINESS networking site not personal social networking. Plaxo is another good one for that.

They can look there all they want but leave facebook and myspace the hell alone :(

mikoyan29
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
As one of those people that wouldn't post something that would come back to bite me, this doesn't bother me. However, given that many names are not unique (the best example Joe Smith), how can a potential employer know that they are looking at the right person? As one of the examples above pointed out. As a person who thinks that what I do on my time is my business, I think that some employers want too much control over their employees. I can understand an employer that may require a security clearance but not some of the other issues that seem to come up in thiese sorts of things.

Besides, if they look at my facebook page, they would see that I'm a wolverine and probably wouldn't hire me...:)

draftermatt
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I do not have a Facebook, don't plan on getting one.

I didn't have a Myspace for years, but after all my friends and family kept bugging me my wife and I signed up. Within 5 months they had stopped logging in to Myspace and were bugging us to join Facebook. We have refused.

My Myspace is private, all you're going to see is my picture (at Disney World with Donald Duck) and I think my current "status" which I make sure not to complain about my work life there.

That said there are (apparently) many people with my name, so I don't even show up on google. And my e-mail that I use for job applications is only used for that.

When I've hired people I tell them "I don't care what you do in your free time as long as it doesn't affect your work. If it starts affecting your work then I will start to care, so don't make me care please."

I've told my boss that my personal time/life is just that, and that if it's not affecting work then it's none of his business.

The only place I look up potential employees under is the Maryland Judicial Case Search, to see if they've ever had legal trouble they're not telling me about.

MrTim
04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
When I've hired people I tell them "I don't care what you do in your free time as long as it doesn't affect your work. If it starts affecting your work then I will start to care, so don't make me care please."

I've told my boss that my personal time/life is just that, and that if it's not affecting work then it's none of his business.

The only place I look up potential employees under is the Maryland Judicial Case Search, to see if they've ever had legal trouble they're not telling me about.

Everything you mentioned is absolutely dead on.

My initial interview was over the phone - she never actually saw my face. I'm fairly sure she was doing a search to save time on actual, in-person interviews. Once she found my fathers profile, she assumed it was me and didn't call me back, and my story starts when I followed up on the phone interview.

NorthernZel
04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Everything on my FaceBook is set to "friends only". And even then I'm very cautious about what I post, remove image tags if I deem the tag to be unflattering, my "personal info" page is empty except from birthday and marital status, etc.

There is much focus on FB privacy settings in the media over here, since a couple of days ago one of the spindoctors in Parliament was forced to resign, after some of her FB spoutings (including harassment of a cafeteria employee + insults at the Royal Family) were published in the media.

Andara Bledin
04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I simply do not do the online social page crap. I do not see why I need to update my every move for random people.
Some people need the validation of having followers, contacts, etc.

And you'd only be updating your status for semi-random people. ;)

I update my status with lyrics as often as anything else, and I only update sporadically.

Social networking sites are good for just that: social networking. I keep up with events for my family, for my gaming convention, for updates on tv shows, bands, artists, etc, etc, etc.

^-.-^

Pedersen
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I probably shouldn't, but I'll chime in here.

As an employee, I am entitled to know the following about any potential employer:

Everything related to the job I am applying for.
Everything public about the company.

As an employer, I am entitled to know the following about any potential employee:

Everything related to the job being applied for.
Everything public about the employee.

You've posted something on a billboard for everybody to see? Why am I not allowed to see it, just because I'm a potential employer? And yes, that is a good analogy, since that's what Facebook, Myspace, and any others are: An electronic billboard. Whatever you post there is available for any and all to see.

That, though, is where the problem comes in: People post to these sites thinking these are just private conversations between them and their friends without realizing that these conversations are visible to anybody with an internet connection.

If I do get the chance to be an employer, will I look people up on the internet? Certainly. Why would I not? Will that be the arbiter of who does and does not get a job? Only if that's the last differentiator between them, or I've found something so incredibly changing about them (and confirmed that I am looking at pages about them) that it took them out of the running.

Example: I've got two applicants. John Doe and Jim Smith. Both are equal in the ways that matter to me. I look them up. John Doe, going by his postings, hates the technologies we use at my company. Jim Smith, on the other hand, seems to love them. Jim Smith gets the job.

Example: Same two applicants. John Doe's search turns up nothing positive or negative. Jim Smith loves the technologies we use. Seems like he's a good fit, until I find out that Jim Smith is a known spammer. Jim Smith is now out of the running, and John Doe gets the job.

Example: Same two applicants. John Doe's search turns up nothing positive or negative. Jim Smith, though, has issues. He's posted about his inability to control himself. He's blogged about desires that are considered quite unacceptable (put in whatever ones you don't like there). Maybe, the're sexual, maybe they're racial, maybe he has severe mood swings, whatever. All of these things, though, lead me to believe that he has sufficient issues that his presence would be disruptive to the workplace I've established. John Doe gets the job.

Good reasons to perform the searches, I think. All of them produce quite acceptable results that are strongly beneficial to me, to my company, and to my current employees.

You may disagree, you may dislike it, you may think of me as an evil person. I'll disagree, and say that if you don't want me to eavesdrop on your private conversations, then make them private. If you email each other, or post behind some sort of wall that blocks Google (and me) from reading it, you're golden. I won't know, and I won't care.

But if you spray it all over a billboard, expect it to be seen and read by the people you really didn't want to see or read it.

Magpie
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM
My initial interview was over the phone - she never actually saw my face. I'm fairly sure she was doing a search to save time on actual, in-person interviews. Once she found my fathers profile, she assumed it was me and didn't call me back, and my story starts when I followed up on the phone interview.

Oh, I know it wouldn't have worked in your situation, but that woman wasn't using it properly.

I always saw employers searching the internet for info on employees as a case of them checking to see if the employee knew how to be discrete. Do you keep your pictures of you getting drunk/rants about your boss/evidence of breaking the law where only certain people can see it? Yay! You know how to set boundaries. (A lot of people really don't bother, and bring all their personal drama to work).

Then again, I'm in a field where I can't actually get my professional credentials without character references, so I'm used to different standards.

BeeMused
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
But if you spray it all over a billboard, expect it to be seen and read by the people you really didn't want to see or read it.

<Putting on CEO hat>I completely agree, when we are in the process of hiring someone we do check facebook etc. and do Google searches, for exactly the reasons you stated. And yes some people weren't hired because of the things we found. Online checks are one of the many tools we have to use to cut through the huge stack of applications we get, when we look for a new employee. Some weird party pictures from your last holiday? Who cares! Daily pictures showing you drunk? Um, not something we look for in a driver.
When we do these checks the person has already been shortlisted in our hiring process, the others didn't make it for reasons like too many spelling mistakes, or dog ears, or wrong qualifications, or whatever. Hiring is never fair, sometimes it's just luck.</Removing CEO hat>

AccountingDrone
04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
even if it involved getting completely plastered and dancing on coffee tables naked. (It doesn't.) As long as I show up to work clothed, sober, and professional it shouldn't matter. That's the only part of my life my boss is in charge of.
But it works for Tony Bourdain .... I pity his liver

Iris Kojiro
04-08-2010, 01:42 AM
That was one of the reasons why I got rid of my MySpace. Not that I had anything incriminating on my page, but I figure that if it's going to be a potential burden in regards to getting jobs, I'll just get rid of it.

telecom_goddess
04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
But it works for Tony Bourdain .... I pity his liver

LOL that's so true. I really can't figure out how he can eat all that stuff he does and drink all that he does and not be HUUUUUUUUUUGE.

I respect him though cause he eats anything without fear.

Sorry off topic there but I am a fan of that man :lol:

MrTim
04-08-2010, 04:55 PM
<Putting on CEO hat>I completely agree, when we are in the process of hiring someone we do check facebook etc. and do Google searches, for exactly the reasons you stated. And yes some people weren't hired because of the things we found. Online checks are one of the many tools we have to use to cut through the huge stack of applications we get, when we look for a new employee. Some weird party pictures from your last holiday? Who cares! Daily pictures showing you drunk? Um, not something we look for in a driver.
When we do these checks the person has already been shortlisted in our hiring process, the others didn't make it for reasons like too many spelling mistakes, or dog ears, or wrong qualifications, or whatever. Hiring is never fair, sometimes it's just luck.</Removing CEO hat>

Absolutely terrifying. The whole reason why I posted my story was to show that social networking look ups are not always correct or accurate. If you make a decision based on them, you are assuming that the profile is fact. If you see a picture of a person who appears drunk, does that mean they are an alcoholic? I never knew a picture can be an accurate way to determine a Blood Alcohol Level. Does their DMV record show any DUI/DWI's ?

Now, if you want to base your decisions on assumptions or guesses - hey, whatever flips your noodle. Me? I like established, relevant, accurate, FACTS.

Andara Bledin
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
If you see a picture of a person who appears drunk, does that mean they are an alcoholic? I never knew a picture can be an accurate way to determine a Blood Alcohol Level. Does their DMV record show any DUI/DWI's ?
The fact that someone has a picture of themselves with their name attached to it where they appear to be shitfaced drunk on what is essentially a public portal shows a certain lack of discretion on the part of the person pictured.

Same for racy photographs (another failbook pic shows a shot of someone's manager who left her racy lingerie shot open to her friends after friending several of her subordinates) or drug use shots, or anything else that could be incriminating.

The Internet is (in some ways) eternal. Don't post it if you don't want a potential boss, co-worker, lover, mate, etc seeing it and judging you by it.

Things that other people post are a bit more difficult to deal with, but you can still un-tag yourself and delete comments on your own wall if it comes down to it.

^-.-^

crazylegs
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Remember folks - only put something on the internet if you wouldn't mind it painted on the side of your house.

BeeMused
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
If you see a picture of a person who appears drunk, does that mean they are an alcoholic?

One picture alone isn't enough. But a whole series? And the overall impression the facebook page gives...

When I have the choice between several potential employees, a page like that can make a difference. Unfair? Perhaps, but how do you make decissions, when you have 500+ applications for one job? How do you find the 5 - 10 people you'd want to invite for an interview? 450 are rejected for formal reasons, like dog ears or spelling or other things, that still leaves you with 50 applications who now get checked some more. And yes... a facebook profile will be looked at. Inappropriate things will put that application on the "no" stack.

Like it or not, HR is using the internet just like everyone else.

MrTim
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
One picture alone isn't enough. But a whole series? And the overall impression the facebook page gives...
...Like it or not, HR is using the internet just like everyone else.

Again, a picture does not state a fact. While it may be obvious or apparent, it is just that - a picture. I have a picture of myself on the moon, does that mean I was actually there? No, just me being silly on photoshop. And I also noticed that you mentioned, "Dog ears?"

450 are rejected for formal reasons, like dog ears or spelling or other things, that still leaves you with 50 applications who now get checked some more.

Do you mean someone had a picture and it looked like they had a pair of false ears on or something? Does that mean that you would rule out a potential employee by appearance alone? According to your post, you check Facebook before you meet the potential candidate. Am I reading that wrong?

I guess I just will never follow that type of Human resource tactic. I judge people on their skills and merit, not their physical appearance.
What people do in their personal lives is none of my business, and as long as it doesn't affect their work, it is fine with me.

The fact that someone has a picture of themselves with their name attached to it where they appear to be shitfaced drunk on what is essentially a public portal shows a certain lack of discretion on the part of the person pictured.

So since they appear to be drunk, that is a proven fact? No, it's not. I can make all sorts of assumptions, but I am just a stickler for facts.
Now if I checked the person's criminal record and it shows 2 DUI/DWI's and they are applying for a position that requires driving, they will no longer be eligible for the job.

I swear I am not trying to be difficult, but I am a firm believer in facts. Go back to my story - this kind of thing happened to me, that is why I get so bothered when HR people use social networking sites as a form of research.

It was mentioned before that it was not fair and I agree completely on that. It was not fair that an HR lady discriminated against me with no facts whatsoever, but life is not fair.
I think I made my point, I won't post on this thread again. :wave:

crazylegs
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Do you mean someone had a picture and it looked like they had a pair of false ears on or something?

I think he means CVs or applications that are bent over at the corner, or otherwise scruffy in appearance.

BeeMused
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I think she means CVs or applications that are bent over at the corner, or otherwise scruffy in appearance.

(Corrected... I really think we need a flag or somesuch to indicate gender.)

Yep, I ment that. Sorry, I thought dog ears was a common idiom.

According to your post, you check Facebook before you meet the potential candidate. Am I reading that wrong?

Yes, almost all checking of a candidate is done before the interview, this is common practice in Germany. Only very few people get an interview. You have about a minute or so to convince the HR guys that your application is worth a closer look, so the cover letter/email is very important, the first impression counts. If an application has made that hurdle, the letters of reference etc. get looked at. Calling a former employer isn't very common here, so far we've never done that.
You seem to think that we go by Facebook/other things found on the internet alone, well of course not, it's only one of the factors.

Andara Bledin
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
So since they appear to be drunk, that is a proven fact? No, it's not. I can make all sorts of assumptions, but I am just a stickler for facts.
You're missing the forest for the trees.

It's not about whether or not they can do the job. There are 50 people available that are capable of doing the job. But you can only give the job to one of those people.

At that point, you have to start looking at intangibles and making decisions based on other factors. Maturity, professionalism, and how one presents one's self all come into play here.

If you post what look like they could be incriminating photos of your conduct in what is effectively a public place, it displays a certain level of immaturity that could be the deciding factor of whether or not you are in the 1% of total available applicants that get seen for an in-person interview.

Like it or lump it, that is the way of the hiring process, and it would be in a job-seeker's best interests to understand this.

^-.-^

IvorTangrean
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I personally only use as a glorified address and date book. I have a few photos up up everything is friends only.

ArenaBoy
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I keep my facebook and Twitter accounts private. More go given the nature of my work as I work in marketing.

However, what one does outside of work, as long as it's not affecting them to the point that it's affecting their work is not my business. And yes there is a possibility of a misunderstanding like that one poster illustrated. The problem with social networking sites is that they are becoming the norms for first impressions and that's a bad thing.

r2cagle
04-09-2010, 12:22 AM
I've been following this thread, and I can see both sides. A 'fair' employee will not use found internet information alone as the deciding factor to hire someone or not. An unfair, lousy employer will get bent out of shape over the silliest things.

A smart employee understands that their behavior 'can be' a reflection of the company they work for and cause a bad impression to strangers. A not so smart employee forgets that there are witnesses everywhere, and not just what you yourself put on the web.

I work for a company that has reminded us that we need to be careful what we say and how we say it, as they consider us the face of the company. And I do have my boss' wife as a fb friend, so I stay conscious of not saying or typing something stupid either. It's also the reason I didn't really use a logon name different than my real name. They could find me if they wanted... lol. So, I hope I never write anything I can be sued for... lol.

It sucks that more companies cannot be trustful of their employees, but then as alot of stories here have shown, we often work with pretty dumb people.

werewolffan98
04-09-2010, 05:42 AM
I'm on facebook as well and i belong to various groups in it,like Second Life DJ'S,musicians,and other groups and i have been announcing my grand opening of a club i have in Second life,and most of my profile is set to private. Because the avatar pic i use is a fox fursona.

BeeMused
04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Because the avatar pic i use is a fox fursona.

Well, that wouldn't be a problem with us, when the owner loves to cross-dress and even does it now, despite having had a stoke and sitting in a wheelchair. Given the nature of the things we sell, no fetish weirds us out.

Andara Bledin
04-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Because the avatar pic i use is a fox fursona.
The same pic you use here, or something different?

I'm always explaining the oddest thing to my bosses and co-workers. They tend to turn to me or the boyfriend any time any fandom-related anything comes up.

I'd just as soon have a furry pic up as an avatar (I just use my own pic on Facebook, but I have a gallery of my CoX characters as well as a full shot of the pic my avatar here comes from on there as well), and not get hired at a place that would have an issue with my being a furry than not, as I tend to be rather outspoken and intolerant of ignorant bigotry.

^-.-^

taxguykarl
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Here's some advice on using Facebook (http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0410/6-Career-Killing-Facebook-Mistakes.aspx?partner=earthlink). Full disclosure: I don't have an account or profile.

If you're going to post pics of yourself using a crack pipe, don't be surprised to find yourself not hired or even fired. As some COC posts show, drinkers do not make the most reliable workers. As many jobs require you to be present and reasonably healthy, a FB profile can give a reasonable indication of reliability.

Mishi
04-14-2010, 02:46 AM
I use Facebook to keep up with friends that are on the other side of the country or in other states. I keep everything set as friends-only, the only things that show on my profile to non-friends are: my birthday (not year though), my hometown, my marital status and (I think) my current pic. I don't think it would have any effect on my employability as I'm careful about what I say/show.
It is a public place, which is why I deleted my mum's questions about when/where my daughters swimming lessons are. Yeah this happened :shitfan:

tropicsgoddess
04-16-2010, 05:36 AM
I set everything to friends only. Nothing majorly interesting for anyone to see on my facebook profile. I still try and be careful, if it's not you, sometimes it's what other people can post on their profile or yours (i.e. tagging crazy pics of you, etc.).

TOLady
04-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Here's some advice on using Facebook (http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0410/6-Career-Killing-Facebook-Mistakes.aspx?partner=earthlink). Full disclosure: I don't have an account or profile.

I totally agree with this:

"Losing By Association
You can't control what your friends post to your profile (although you can remove it once you see it), nor what they post to their own profiles or to those of mutual friends. <snip>"

I have one friend whose avatar was of a very questionable nature (she was eventually deleted (not sure if that's the correct terminology) by facebook because of it and had to get a new account and changed her picture.

Everytime she would post on my page, I cringed. My Mother is a Friend and I didn't really think it was something she needed to see.

Andara Bledin
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
"Losing By Association
You can't control what your friends post to your profile (although you can remove it once you see it), nor what they post to their own profiles or to those of mutual friends. <snip>"
While good commentary about being careful about who you're friends with, you've always had a measure of control. Until last night, nobody but me (and applications I had allowed) could post anything to my wall. As of yesterday, anyone can post to my wall, but the only person who can see those posts is me, so it still won't affect people's perception of me.

^-.-^

boringscreenname
04-20-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't post anything scandalous on facebook, and neither do any of my friends. So if any of my co-workers or bosses ran across it, all they'd find is some pretty mundane stuff. What can I say I lead a tame life.

But all of my privacy settings are very carefully tweaked and I don't add any co-workers or bosses to my friends list. I have also removed my facebook profile from Google searches and facebook searches, so if someone goes looking for me, they aren't going to find me. I had my mom and her boyfriend go searching for me through facebook and google, and they weren't able to find my profile at all. So the only way someone is going to find my profile, is by me giving them a direct link to it, or me requesting to add someone to my friends list.

werewolffan98
04-24-2010, 04:21 AM
The same pic you use here, or something different?

I'm always explaining the oddest thing to my bosses and co-workers. They tend to turn to me or the boyfriend any time any fandom-related anything comes up.

I'd just as soon have a furry pic up as an avatar (I just use my own pic on Facebook, but I have a gallery of my CoX characters as well as a full shot of the pic my avatar here comes from on there as well), and not get hired at a place that would have an issue with my being a furry than not, as I tend to be rather outspoken and intolerant of ignorant bigotry.

^-.-^

Here is my Fursona.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab22/oakleaf2009/1263597130charlieb_axelwolf.png

KellyHabersham
04-24-2010, 04:59 AM
I doubt that much of anything on my facebook profile would be an issue........unless someone had an objection to Farmville or Happy Aquarium.

Andara Bledin
04-24-2010, 06:24 AM
I object to FarmVille.... :p

^-.-^

werewolffan98
04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I object to FarmVille.... :p

^-.-^

Of course i'm on Second Life and i also own a club on a parcel that is 4096. sq. m. Of course only thing is i have to use a PA System so that people see my chat in the club.

ottid
04-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh, I've been reading this on and off for a few hours and I can't remember what I was going to say!

Yes, I agree that anything you post on the 'net can be found, so you have to be careful. Here in NZ teachers have lost their jobs because of photos on social networking sites. Seeing as I hope to be joining their ranks next year, everything but the basics are private on FB, and that is only so people who search for me that I know, know that it is me, my name is fairly common.

On the other hand if someone really wanted to search for me, they may come across a porn actress first...

Speaking of which, I need to remove something from the Google Cache as it names me, and while I want people to be able to find the thing that they are searching, I don't want my name with it (It's my twitter, which then leads on to my blog, which may or may not have rants about teaching, which may or may not be good for future employment, it really depends on what happens during the rest of the year), so who can help?

bean
05-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Sadly, the majority of my friends are made at work. I really don't have much of a life outside of work.

At one point I had a ton of coworkers on facebook, including upper management. Then I started realizing.. uh shit, friggin REGIONAL can see me bitching, since I had several store managers spread across a few stores as "friends", and regional types were their "friends", and most of my stuff was set to everyone or friends of friends.

I deleted about 2/3 of my "friends" on facebook the other day. My boss is the only management type in my list now, and only because we're actually friends.

I also set everything to "Friends only". If you're looking for me on Facebook by name, you will find me, but all you'll find is a photo and the typical "blah blah bean only shares certain things publicly blah blah" (and it's very rarely actually a photo of me anyway, it's usually something abstract or someone/thing hilariously offensive, right now it's a guy in drag with what can best be described as 56 FF balloons under his shirt with no bra). My status is typically bits and pieces of song lyrics (right now it's a quote from Megadeth - Train of Consequences) or some new photo project I've whipped up. My name isn't very common, but I leave searches open in case someone from middle/high school tries to track me down.

My boss openly admits that he's always on facebook, and if someone calls in sick, he just might drop by their profile to see if they're actively on facebook while sick. He won't call them out publicly about it, but he did tell me that stuff like that may or may not come up during raise/review time if it's frequent...

Andara Bledin
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey, feel free to add me as a friend on Fb if you'd like. Just put in my handle here as one word and you'll find me. :D

^-.-^

Rantsylvania 6-5000
05-02-2010, 06:22 AM
I have a Myspace page, but it is set to private. I don't think there's anything on there that I should worry about, but you never know what lameass excuse a manager will use to not hire, or to fire you. I also don't want crazy people to find me. However, I don't want to be judged by who my friends are, since they do some things that I don't do. But it shouldn't matter anyhow, because my off-the-clock activities are none of their damn business!

As far as I'm concerned, it's the same as stalking. It would be like a hiring manager covertly following you around town, watching where you hang out, how you are with your friends, etc. Even if they just happened to see you in public, what you do off the clock is STILL not their damn business. You're not at work, they have no say!