PDA

View Full Version : The getting back in shape thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Kiwi
07-16-2006, 03:16 AM
We had this a few boards ago, its a support thread for members who want/need to get healthy or fit or drop some kilos... or all three. I wanted to start it back up because you never can have TOO much support. :D

What got me thinking about this thread was what happened to me today, I helped one of kyles friends move house. They live up in an apartment on the top floor, no elevator. Well I just about killed myself running up and down 5 flights of stairs carrying things down to the truck. I had to stop and rest at each end! I felt so unfit and it wasnt until I thought about it, I realised

I havent been to the gym in OVER A YEAR.:eek: I was a dancer growing up, tap, ballet, jazz, ballroom, hip hop you mention it I did it.Full time to, every single night after school every single weekend from Friday night until Sunday night. I was fit, more than that I was a health and fitness nut. I went hiking and everything! Well today I felt like a useless bloob of flesh.:violin: Im going to change that. Next pay cheque im buying some sneakers (I dont even own any anymore!!) and joining the gym, over hauling my diet and working my not so little hieny off :runaway: (see thats me running there) until I can at least keep up with a normal person.

Feel free to join in the thread if you are aiming to get back in shape or more so to get/stay healthy. We can share advice, recipes and give each other support! I want to emphasis that this is to be a HEALTH focused thread, no fad diets, no starving yourself, kapeesh! Good.

COMINATCHA
07-16-2006, 03:25 AM
Aaaww, Kiwi, what a great thread!

I've found that being in love is slowly making me put on weight. My boyfriend has an incredibly fast metabolism that he needs to eat every couple of hours, yet he is still skinny. I'm finding myself eating more as well, cause i'm with him alot, and he will buy me something to eat when he buys himself something. Since my birthday (when I met him), I've gained about 3kg (dont know what that is in lbs?). It doesn't sound like all that much, but it makes a huge difference to me, especially when I have to wear tight fitting clothing at work, and I work with really slim girls. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable at work, but otherwise I don't care too much. I just dont want to lose my job cause I really need the money!

The Gatekeeper
07-16-2006, 04:18 AM
I remember the old thread and can't remember if I replied early on, and gave up or not at all.

As far as food is concerened, we need to eat. So NEVER feel guilty about that or being hungry. But what you put in your face is what is important. Basic health guidlines recommend 5-6 servings of fruit or veg. and some protein and carbs. Basically all of the major food groups. If you stick with that, watch your portion sizes and processed food you should be fine. Add a dash of excercist (housework counts) then you're on your way.

There are no quick fixes, and to believe otherwise is really to sell yourself short. Proper nutrition is paramount to maintainting a health weight. Screw what you see in magazines etc. It shouldn't be a surprise what can be edited/manipulated with a software program.

Good luck ladies, I'm on my own journey with aprox. 60lbs down.

CanadaGirl
07-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Hmm... not me. I lost 8 pounds these past two weeks just from walking back and forth to work after the move. Heee :D (5'8" and 118 ain't bad) ;)

Mr. Rager!
07-16-2006, 05:36 AM
I guess my best advice coming from someone who drinks a lot of beer and still maintains good shape:

Drink plenty of cold water
Muscle burns fat
Don't be so concerned with weight
Make sure the exercising you're doing is enjoyable
Switch up your routine
Eat slow and eat healthy
Spoil yourself once a week

Have fun!

Jpurple
07-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, for the first time in Gord-only-knows how long, I went to the fitness room in our building and did a half-hour work out. It was very disturbing how tired that made me, so I'm going to keep doing it! I've got some good music stuffed into the Muvo so I can keep myself going- I have to stay in at least good enough shape to keep up with the munchkin!

Now all I have to do is make sure I head for the edible-pod peas instead of ice cream for my snack, and I should be all set!

PuckishOne
07-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I can say there's nothing like a looming Caribbean wedding/honeymoon to motivate one's hindquarters. :D Fiance and I have been getting up at 4:45, Monday through Thursday, to hit the gym; plus, he plays Ultimate on Tuesdays, I play soccer on Thursdays, and we try to do at least one active thing at the weekends. Haven't noticed a great fluctuation on the scale, but I can feel some of my clothes slowly but surely becoming looser, which is good enough for me! ;)

Heksubah
07-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I've been working hard lately at getting myself into shape. For those of you who recall, I had lap-band surgery in December and have lost 72 pounds since then. In the last three months I've started going to the gym and it is making all the difference. I do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike at a level 2 resistance, 100 tricep extensions, 20 camber curls, 20 chest presses and 10 shoulder presses. When I first started I could barely manage 12 minutes, no resistance, on the bike and just a couple tricep extensions. I go about three times a week.

The hardest part is getting myself out the door, but once I'm there I love it. I use that to remind myself when I'm lying in bed at 5am whining that I don't want to go to the gym. (I go at 5:20 in the morning with my mother before she goes to work and I am NOT a morning person).

I used to laugh when people claimed that going to the gym was addictive. Now I'm pacing the house cause it's the weekend and I wish it were an early weekday morning so I could get hopping!

LadyMage
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM
I've been losing weight steadily but mine is only one part the diet and exercise - the other is thyroid meds.

I've just basically sliced my portions in nearly half - I snack a lot on mostly sunflower seeds and fruit, eat lean meats and vegetables aplenty, I do indulge in the occasional Junk Food Treat - but in all, one year of keeping it up and I'm minus 50 lbs.

Keep at it, everyone!!

Crazyredhead
07-17-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm also trying to drop about 30-35lbs. Before I started my running program I hadn't worked out or ran for over a year. I was running for about a month and doing pretty good. I actually gained a couple of pounds, but I knew it was muscle, cause muscle weighs more than fat. I had to stop due to an emergency gallbladder removal surgery. The doctor said that I can't start running until I see him this week, but walking is fine.

I used to be 5'8" and 120 lbs. I would be happy to get to 135. I was to skinny at that time. No muscle. I was actually underweight. I looked like a skeleton with skin. I would not want to get back that thin, it was unhealthy looking. I have actually taken a liking to the fitness look. I want muscle but not that of a bodybuilder. I love the long lean look. I am a runner and cannot bulk up.

I am contemplating abdominoplasty. Basically a tummy tuck. I would like all of these stretch marks and scars to go away, at least the majority of them. I get sick when ever I look at them. I know that excersise and proper diet will work but not fast enough for me. It took me almost 2 years before to get to where I was seeing muscle and progress but ended up pregnant and all of my motivation was gone. But this will cost me $8,000.00. Insurance will not cover this cause it isn't an apron of skin in front. They are very strict when it comes to anything considered cosmetic. So any donations woudl be greatly appreciated. LOL :eyewaggle:

Kiwi
07-17-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread is going great everyone:) keep up the good work!!! make sure you keep us up to date with your progress. My goal personally if more fitness than numbers, although by improving my fitness im sure my numbers will improve!

I dont weigh myself because of my issues with the scale, as a teenager I would starve myself regularly (sigh its so sad how many girls do this) to make sure the number on the scale was one I liked. Now even at the doctors I hop on the scale backwards so I cant play number games with myself.

Im going to go by the fit of my clothes, my jeans waistband is a little snug right now so my first goal is to make them fit like they did when I brought them. well actually my first goal is to buy some gym shoes!

I went for a walk yesterday just a short one to the mall down the road and back, I usually would have had kyle take me in the car but walking turned out to be just as fast when you consider, finding the keys, locking and shutting up the house, driving down, waiting for traffic lights etc. So Im planning on walking a whole bunch more places.

Working on the water intake to, that always makes me feel better and more energetic. I had dinner at kyles parents house tonight, skipped the cake for dessert, had a bowl of strawberries instead.... mmm strawberries!!

anyway keep us all posted!

Sientara
07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I have recently started a diet and exercise plan myself. At my height of 5'1", I feel I need to lose ~50 lbs from my current 175 lbs. (I started at 185 so I have lost 10 lbs so far. :D ) I found that I was having problems getting motivated and sticking with an exercise programs on my own, so I spent the money to get a personal trainer. (The place I work also owns the health club I go to, so I get an employee discount :D ) It has been a huge help for me to have someone to be accountable to and to work out with. For the diet, I am just trying to eat better, more fruits and vegetables and less junk. I am also trying to eliminate caffine from my diet, but that is a gradual thing.

protege
07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I usually hit the gym 4 nights a week. Two of those nights, I do about a half-hour or so of cardio--either the arc trainer, or one of the ellipticals. If I really want to mix things up, I'll do one of those plus the stair climber. After that, I'll go through the Nautilus circuit. By then, I'm pretty tired, so I'll relax in the hot tub for 10-15 minutes....or until certain people in there get annoying :lol:

The other 2 nights are straight cardio, of which I usually do an hour's worth. I tried spreading out the Nautilus stuff over all 4 nights, but if I do that, I get sore. I need a break before I do it again.

Even with all this, I can't seem to lose my "spare tire." Maybe if I didn't have a job that required me to sit behind a desk all damn day :(

NightWolf
07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Awsome thread!! I wanted to post something similar to this but was afraid of tooting my own horn.

I can't reiterate some of the points mentioned earlier enough! About 1 year ago I decided to buy a bench and start weight training. I learned the hard way that what I was doing wasn't good enough. This past January I bought a Bowflex and just love it! Now, I'm 100x more consious about lifting, (quality over quantity) and my diet. Sometimes, it seems like I'm overboard, but when you seriously want to lose weight and look better.....overboard can be the best way to stay motivated.

Points I loved so far in this thread:

Drink Plenty of Cold Water. Water water water. A must! Dehydrated muscles like to tear.

Small meals often during the day. And good meals too. Not junk!

Don't be so concerned with weight. Muscle weighs more than fat!

Spoil yourself. - knowing you can cheat a little makes it easier to stick to the diet in the longrun.

I subscribe to many fitness forums, have read many books lately on the subject, and try to keep up on some of the most recent supplements on the market.

A bit more about myself and my change.

I wouldn't really consider myself fat, rather there is just a little bit more of me to love. ;) Anywayz, I realized when I started feeling really awful in the morning, had no energy, and felt run down all the time, that a change was due. Approaching my 30th birthday, I knew it was now or never to get this party started. My entire diet and eating habits have changed.

Morning: Eggs and a protein shake

Snack: Cin/raisin bagel and a protein shake

Lunch: Turkey sandwhich on whole grain bread with cottage cheese on the side

Snack: Trail mix and a protein shake

Supper: Either fish/chicken with Brown rice and a veggie

Snack: Cottage cheese

My lifting routine is usually:

Day 1: Legs - Squats/Lunges/Calf Raises

Day 2: Arms - Seated Curls/Tricep pulldowns/standing curls/Skull Crushers/Hammer curls

Day 3: Abs/back - Ab stabilizers/obliques/overhead pulldowns/bent over barbell raises

Day 4: Chest/Shoulders - Bench Press/Chest Fly/Crossover Cables/Lat raises

Day 5: Abs - Ab stabalizers. (I alternate this one every other weekend and sometimes mix in an extra arm curl)

I try to say away from a lot of fast food and soda. I take caffine, but only in my supplements as an energy booster and in low doses. I drink about a gallon of water a day, and I also throw in some basketball or other aerobic activity on off days. All my meals are spaced 2-3 hours apart.

So far the results have been fantastic!!! I'm not losing any weight, but I have been seeing veins pop out all over the place in my legs, arms, and everywhere else. I'm seeing massive pits where fat used to cover muscle, and my pants are getting nice n' loose. I've seen mad gains on the weights, and sometimes, it's frightening. My bench started at 125lbs and I can now lift 310lbs 4 times. My main benching weight is around 250lbs 8-10 times. Curls are up near 100lbs per arm and my legs workouts are almost always near the 300lb mark. For motivation, I stick pictures of people who have used body building to get the body they want. I'm a big WWE fan, so having pics of some of the wrestlers really helps with motivation. Such as Triple H and Batista. I don't want to be a body building champion, but I do want to look better. Oh yeah, and having people wonder if you would pummel them if they made you mad feels pretty good too. :D

sorry for the long windedness..... :o

Lets kick it into high gear everyone!! w00t! :salute:

Misanthropical
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I had food poisoning for three day! For three days I barely ate and if I did it usually didn't stay down long. I go to weigh myself after I started feeling better and I lost a whole 1 POUND! GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

protege
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Some of you might remember that I had hernia surgery in early 2004. At the time, I was around 160-165lbs. Since I was taking a huge amount of painkillers and not eating very much, my weight dropped....to about 125-130 :eek: Two years later, I'm at 175. Go figure.

I do know that several people have commented that I "look better" since I've started working out. Maybe it's because I look a bit different, or maybe because they're not sure if I'll kick their ass :angel: :lol:

stormtreader
07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Well done everyone!
Ive been dieting for a year now - lost 2 1/2 stones (35 pounds) and still got 35 to go (thank you, weightwatchers food!).
My exercise so far has only consisted of 1 1/2 hours of walking per day (lunch hour and to/from train station) - i suppose thats better than nothing, but nowhere near all you gym people :D
You dont notice how tired it makes you until you lose some of the weight - i can get up from squatting down now without having to rock back on my heels and pull myself up :)

I definately second the 'lots of water' thing, pints of squash when im playing pc games in the evening.
Treats are important too, if youre really craving something then have it - just dont let it become every day ;)

PuckishOne
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I had food poisoning for three day! For three days I barely ate and if I did it usually didn't stay down long. I go to weigh myself after I started feeling better and I lost a whole 1 POUND!
I soooooo don't recommend this as a weight-loss, tool - not that I think anyone's suggesting it. ;) I seem to be prone to food poisoning, and the last bout I had, about 8 months ago, laid me out for 4 days, during which I lost 11 pounds. Not fun.

To echo what a couple others have said, I've had several doctors tell me to focus on my dress size rather than my weight, that muscle does weigh more, and to aim for eating "well" 75-80% of the time and not stress over the other 20-25%. All in all this seems to be the most sensible approach I've found.

Kiwi
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
well, ive been rather slack this week, trying to walk to the supermarket when we need stuff and generally been good with food, I made a smashing sundried tomato, basil and onion risotto the other night. Delish!

Ive had a busy week though, 2 interviews, paperwork to fill out for work, tests for the new job and buying a new car all while searching for a cheaper apartment!!

I had a crappy sales week last week so im dreading this week.... I have to improve my sales and I always work myself up into a tize. Next week I plan on buying my sneakers (I finally get paid) and then walking for an hour everyday to make up for my slackness.

Lunch today was cheese and pineapple on toast with strawberries on the side. Yum!

Phoenix79
07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I definitley need help figuring out how to change my diet.

I grew up eating spagetti, mac and cheese, hot dogs . . . all that stuff they say you shouldn't eat. I grew up on it, and have yet to grow out of it (i'm 27). The problem is, I have two medical problems that require me to diet if I want to start feeling like a normal person. I had thyroid cancer in 2000, and have to take thyroid meds to replace my thyroid - and I also have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome). Both of which screw with my metabolism, and make it difficult to lose weight.

I've checked into surgery, and I'm not overweight enough? I weigh 210lbs, and I'm about 5' 9", they say I need to be at least 260 to qualify for lapband surgery (I would never get gastric bypass, too risky). The best way to control my PCOS is to diet . . . but it costs more money to eat veggies and fruits than it does to just buy boxed and canned stuff. I'm one broke person right now, so if anyone has some low-budget diet ideas (I've seen a few great ones on this thread already) please share them!!

My goal is to eventually drop enough weight so my body begins working like it should, that way my hubby and I can finally try to have a baby (probably need to lose about 30-50 pounds). As it stands now, due to the PCOS, my body doesn't want to cooperate, and we cannot currently have a child.

Anyhooo, probably TMI, but I felt like if I shared, I would feel better. This thread is a wonderful idea, thanks!!

Phoenix

stormtreader
07-21-2006, 09:54 AM
A good cheap dieting meal/snack is rice boiled in water with a chicken OXO cube in it, and some frozen vegetables (peas, spinach, whatever you like).
Costs next to nothing, you can make enough for 2-3 days easily, and is a good side dish for other stuff as well :D

TeslaRecoil
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not a health professional, but I'll tell you what worked for me ...

Portion Control :

Just cut back. That's all. You don't have to start eating raw tofu and drinking water and basically starve yourself. Just eat less. Instead of 2 helpings of mashed potatoes, just have one. Don't have that second burger. That's how I got started, and it paid off.

Watch Your Sugar:

The first thing I did was cut out soda. Until I did that, I never realized how much I was drinking. I try to stick to water, unsweetened iced tea, black coffee, or even diet soda. I definitely watched the sweets too. It was rough, especially around Christmas time, but eventually, you learn to live with it.

Trim The Fat:

You don't have to eat white fish and grilled chicken all the time. Just buy lean cuts and trim what you can. A good lean piece of beef is no more fatty that a lean piece of chicken (I won't debate the other health concerns of red meat here). Look for other ways too. Have a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger. Try skim milk instead of regular milk. Most of the products you buy have some fat free version which USUALLY does not cost much more than the original.

Exercise:

Yeah, it may suck, but it has to be done. I started running again (first on the elliptical, then on the treadmill). At first, it was rough. But after a few months, I was doing 6-8 miles at a clip, 3-4 times per week. It helped a lot. And you need to switch this up every so often as well, else your body will get used to what you're doing. Try running up and down hills, or even jogging backwards.

I know this sounds like generic advice, but it worked for me.

I had gotten up to about 245 (which is huge for someone typically between 200 and 205), and let's just say it wasn't muscle. By following the above (and having a little fun every now and then), I got down to 198 in 6 months. I was felling better than I had since I started college, and I was loving every minute of it.

I started lifting again, and I'm around 210 right now. But I don't focus on the number so much. I focus on the look. If you look and feel good, what does a number matter?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents ...

Kiwi
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
the best way to find cheap fruit and vege is to go to a farmers market

that how we do it, plus we only buy WHATS IN SEASON, no way im paying $4.99 a kilo for tomatos when carrots are $0.99 that way your diet changes to

we also make up double portions and freeze the left overs in to gladware and use the fozen meals for lunches. so if i make beef casserole (best way to use cheap meat and make it taste good) I will make 4 portions worth then we have the second two for lunch the next day

eating cheap means always taking lunch from home and planning your meals ahead. Use a cheap bulk low fat carb to fill you up

potatos, corn, rice, pasta but avoid adding fat, thats what makes carbs have such a bad rep. I add spices like paprika and tumeric to make a "spicy rice" so I dont have to add lots of oil.

frozen veges are a god send, someone recommend using them with rice GREAT IDEA. Im lucky I dont like meat, me and kyle can make a chicken breast between us a meal. Try meat alternatives, refried beans (the non fat veriaty from elpaso is go) or nut meat, mushrooms if you like them.

all meat has the same nutritional value, the only thing that changes is FAT content. Double strain the fat off hamburger to lower the fat content, buy cheap meat to make a stew and skim off the fat. Beef and potato stew (carrots onions garlic and add peas at the last minute) you can also add rice to bulk it up or serve it over rice.

check your portions are in control, one of those gladware containers is ALL YOU NEED for a meal.

I have found that buying prepackaged foods are more expensive and shop the outside of the supermarket, plus we swapped supermarkets, our bread price HALVED. However Baked beans etc are healthy and if on sale usually really cheap. Add a clove of garlic to everything, its a cheap way to add flavour to a meal and its one of natures super foods.

consider buying from the bulk bins to, we now get our pasta from there and we only have to buy as much as we need each week.

great guns everyone, keep it up!!

I have a website for you all http://www.destitutegourmet.com/

its about eating healthy but cheaply. Sophie also gives you a seasonal calander (reverse it, its for the southern hemisphere) these are what the cheapest fruits and veges should be.

kiwi, drinking her blueberry and spirulina anti-oxident milkshake and feeling very proud of herself

PuckishOne
07-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Portion Control : Just cut back. That's all.

Exercise: Yeah, it may suck, but it has to be done.
From my experiences, I would consider these to be the 2 most important - and most often overlooked - pieces of diet/fitness advice. Eat less, move more. It's so simple, it's beautiful. :p

Things got a little slack for me this week - only made it to the gym twice, and we've eaten out every night but one so far! :( In the past, this is the point where I'd throw up my hands and say, "Oh well, I blew it already, pass the brownies!!" But now I know that this is just reality...there will be good days and bad days, good weeks and bad weeks, but as long as I stick with it overall, in the long run it will pay off. :)

NightWolf
07-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I know this sounds like generic advice, but it worked for me.

Ok, Sorry to pick our your quote, but I just wanted to point out one more thing quick. What works for one person, might not work for the next. Try a few different diets and or exercise plans. Document your results and find out which one works best.

The one thing I REALLY hate about eating better is how expensive good food costs. I mean, here in the states the media bitches about how the majority is overweight, yet the price of good food is so much more than junk food. WTF?

Still, I NEED to get rid of the belly. So far, what I'm doing is working for me. It's going away, and going away fast. I'm taking pictures so I can compare them from time to time and actually SEE the results. For the rest of my body, seeing the veins start to surface and actually pop out in certain areas is all I need to see that I'm losing the fat and gaining muscle there.

Update to this week. I made it through 3 of my 4 workouts. I really didn't want to miss my abs/back workout, but was not feeling well emotionally and health wise. I felt it best to not workout and hopefully I can pick up something and make up for it this weekend. :(

COMINATCHA
07-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Although some of you guys told me I don't need to lose weight - i've started to already :p

I've always excersised, so am just stepping it up a notch. Instead of going to the gym 4 times a week, i'm going 6. (being unemployed means i have stacks of time on my hands to excersise, haha).

The other thing i'm doing which works well for me, is eating snacks instead of meals. For example, if for breakfast I would normally have 2 slices of toast at once, I instead have one piece for breakfast, then about 3 hours later have the other piece. It keeps the metabolism stable. I'm also eating mainly fruit and vegies, and drinking HEAPS of water. It's hard when my mum continues to stack the fridge with chocolates and things, but i'm not eating any of it. I think she's actually annoyed for some reason.

I'm also trying to stop drinking coffee and red bull. I don't know if this helps weight loss, but I figure it'll make me healthier. I drink LOTS of coffee, which I know can't be good for me. I've tried to stop once before but it didn't last, so i'll try harder this time :)

It's only been just over a week, and I can comfortably do up my tight jeans without any pudge getting in the way.

I am kind of hungry throughout the day, but it's the only way to get weight off my body, so it's worth it.

Kiwi
07-31-2006, 02:08 AM
Good for you Commie, I think everyone was more worried that youd over react from your ratfink ex-bosses comment and starve youself. We all want you to be happy and healthy.

Red bull is TERRIBLE!!!!

the best way to lose a small amount of weight is to eat the same, but in small meals through out the day, that way your never hungry but never full. Still eating a healthy amount but just in such a way to super rev up your metabolism.

Stay healthy though!

Ive signed up for a 5k fun run on October first to help raise money for breast cancer. Me and kyle start training tomorrow! 60 days to go!

Sphinx
07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I used to run all the time but quit. And now I'm back to running 10 miles again!!! Now I have to step up my goal lol I love to run , especially since I live in the country its so beautiful in the mornings when the sun is just coming up.:D

NightWolf
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Good for you COMI!!!

And Kudos to you Kiwi for signing up for the run! :D

Any other updates on the diets members?

I'll jump first. I just finished my cutting phase of my workout and am starting a bulking phase, which I really need to stick to. This weekend I kinda let loose and had a bit too much fun. :o I just obliterated my legs last night. 310lbs on the squats and my legs hurt. (But it's a good kind of hurt. :) ) Tonight it's arms.

PuckishOne
08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a collarbone again!! :lol: Amazing how these little things motivate us, isn't it?

Decided to switch from morning workouts to going directly after work. Even though the gym is a block from home, I know from experience that once my key's in the door, it's over, so I pack my bag in the morning and just go. Seems to be working so far...gee, maybe I have some work-related stress to burn off, eh? :D

I'm also playing soccer one night a week, and once my body gets back into that swing I'm going to try to add a 2nd team. My goal is to be active at least 3 nights in the week, and do one active thing at the weekends. I've learned that the more I keep moving, the more I want to keep moving.

How's everyone else doing?

Crazyredhead
08-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I was running about a month before my gallbladder sugery and getting pretty good. I was able to run around the trailer park here without stopping as much, I lost about 3 lbs.

Then my gallbladder went defective (actually I was getting warning pains for about 1 1/2 months before).

I haven't been running for about a month now and I am going to start again tomorrow morning. I am at 171 lbs right now, but I will actually gain a few more until my body starts burning fat. You know, muscles weights more than fat.

I just got back from a 4 mile walk, and in this heat. I had an appointment at the VA clinic on post for another hernia prob. My husband didn't renew the car insurance so I had to walk. I was more hot than tired, but I felt energized once I downed a gallon of water.

I can't seem to get the time or the energy to run in the evenings, so I get up at 5:30am and run. I guess it's from all the running in the am from the military. I love seeing the world waking up in the morning, and it is alot cooler then.

I took pictures of myself in nothing but my underwear and bra, all four views (the poor photo developer

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/5601/n1qshok.gifhttp://img117.exs.cx/img117/5601/n1qshok.gif
I actually feel kinda bad for the shock he got when that picture came out.

Kiwi
08-02-2006, 07:12 PM
believe me hes seen much worse, you probably made his day hehehe

keep up the good work but dont push yourself too hard after surgery, take a softly softly approach!

muscle doesnt weigh more than fat but it does take up ALOT more room, most people will start to gain muscle before they start to lose fat, the body doesnt like to give it up... blame cavemen for that, just remember energy in must be less than energy out and the fat will come off.

I think we have to remember, fat is a living organism it likes to live, it doesnt like to be burnt up.

good luck for your next surgery and remember, softly softly.

congrats on the collarbone puckishone!!!!

NightWolf
08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Ditto guys!! Way to go!

I find I can't workout in the morning. I think it's a bit different if you are lifting and not a morning person. :D I tend to have more accidents when I work out in the morning, so I stopped that. I'm with Puckish, I think the afternoon workouts are my best and I'm going to agree with what was said about having some pent up work releated stress. I think working out has helped a ton in relieveing the work stress.

I took pictures of myself a while back. Mainly the key areas. Torso shot, Quads, Calves, Back, and arms. I'm probably due for some more to compare and see if anything's been changing. All I can say is, thank god for digital cameras or else I never would have seen my first pictures. No way in HELL I'm having someone develop pictures of me posing. no way! :o

oh and before I forget again, Kudos to Sphix for making her 10 mile running goal!!! 10 Miles!!! I probably couldn't run 2 without falling over dead! WTG Girl!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!! :salute:

Sphinx
08-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Ditto guys!! Way to go!

oh and before I forget again, Kudos to Sphix for making her 10 mile running goal!!! 10 Miles!!! I probably couldn't run 2 without falling over dead! WTG Girl!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!! :salute:
Thanks, NightWolf! I thought I was gonna die at first as well.:lol: But I made it!! Now gotta step it up lol thinking about going to 15 lol

PuckishOne
08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
10 miles, Sphinx?? Were you being chased?? :p I'm sooo not a runner. Well done - I am always in awe of folks who can run any kind of distance. That rocks.

NightWolf, the accident thing was a factor for me, too. Tripping on the treadmill and/or elliptical trainer one too many times convinced me that my eyes should be fully open when exercising.

Kiwi, you may be the first person ever to congratulate me for my collarbone!! :lol: And thanks, too!! It wasn't too far gone, but I'm glad to have it back.

For those who are tracking progress with photos, any suggestions on the best way to do that? As in, what angles, what clothes, how often, that sort of thing?

Sphinx
08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
10 miles, Sphinx?? Were you being chased?? :p I'm sooo not a runner. Well done - I am always in awe of folks who can run any kind of distance. That rocks.

No I wasnt being chased :roll:
I just really like to run. It helps a lot too when I'm frustrated/stressed out/angry/depressed/sad :lol:

cougar_guy04
08-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I started trying to lose some weight this summer because I was just tired of being out of shape and overweight. I ended up dropping about 15 pounds in a few weeks mainly because I:
Stopped eating junk food/drinking soda (That was a hard one because I am a Dr. Pepper fiend)
Cut my portion sizes down
Started drinking a lot of water (anywhere from 1/2-1 gallon a day).
Biked to classes instead of driving (anywhere from 5-10 miles about 4 times a week). Running still is out of the category for now though . . . I hate to run unless it is needed for my survival.

My goal is to be under 200 pounds when I graduate (hopefully May, 2008) and I started at 260-ish. Keep up the good work everyone!

(A fringe benefit is that my expenses have gone down considerably too :) )

PuckishOne
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
CougarGuy, if you don't mind me asking... I want to get some advice from a guy on this one...

My fiance is in a similar situation to you - he's at, oh, 230 or so right now and wants to get to 200, but the whole portion-control logic eludes him for some reason. Any tips on how he can maybe cut back without the pain, so to speak? :) I really don't want to nag him, and I don't, but if there's a "guy angle" to it maybe I could mention it to him and see how that goes.

NightWolf
08-02-2006, 08:58 PM
For those who are tracking progress with photos, any suggestions on the best way to do that? As in, what angles, what clothes, how often, that sort of thing?

Well, for me personally, I'm doing the pictures around every 2-3 months. Keeping in mind that i'm alternating my workouts to 1 month lifting lots of heavy weight, and then 1 month of a lot of reps. (Bulking/Cutting) I then just continue to alternate so my body doesn't get used to one workout for too long. I figure realisticly I probably won't see much change in a few months, but then again, depending on your body, you'd be surprised what you'll see in a few months.

As far as the angle, I pretty much do a straight on shot for the torso. Nothing fancy.
Same thing goes for the back. Straight on. Of course you may need someone to take it for you or else try and do some mirror magic. ;)
The calves, I just look at it and try to get what I think is the best angle for it.
The same thing goes for the arms.

For cloths, It's pretty much an optional thing. Whatever you feel comfortable in/out of when taking the pictures. Certainly the more muscle you can show without anything obstructing the picture, the better. I'd suggest maybe a sports bra and shorts? Or if your comfortable with it, take it in your undies.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

cougar_guy04
08-09-2006, 04:21 AM
CougarGuy, if you don't mind me asking... I want to get some advice from a guy on this one...
It may sound hokey, but I have a freezer full of those Lean Cuisine microwave dinners (they really aren't too bad and they are filling). I don't skip breakfast, even though it's usually something simple like a bowl of cereal or brekfast bar. To start off with, it was kinda rough, but I got used to it. Another thing, whenever I got hungry in between meals, I'll grab a glass of water instead of snacking. That's about the extent of my diet plan. I may not have lost a ton of weight, but I have lost some and I am feeling a lot better now too. I don't know how much help this was, but the whole healthy eating thing is kinda new to me (I'm surprised Taco Bell hasn't called to see if I'm still alive:) ).

Also, my dad is doing the Nutri-system thing. It's kind of expensive, but he's had good results with it (he's dropped a lot of weight as well).

Luna
08-09-2006, 06:19 AM
I've started waking up earlier and exersizing for 30 minutes a day. I realized that after bringing stuff up one flight of stairs a couple of times and I was out of breath and my heart beating so hard it hurt - that I needed to fix things.

I'm definately an emotional eater. And hubby is basically skin and bones who eats anything he wats and has gained 5 pounds in 11 1/2 years. I've gained 30.
I'm not cutting back on carbs as drastically as I once tried to do - b/c too much meat gives me heartburn. But I had a heart to heart with hubby and told him by gobbling all this junk food - there's no room in the fridge (or our wallets!) for healthy food for me. He wants me to lose weight too, but he wasn't helping me do it.

Now he is, and his fav snack right now are seedless red grapes. Great when frozen too!! Eating healthy is expensive, but what I do is really take the time to shop and buy what is on sale. Don't just buy what you feel like eating.

I've only lost 5 pounds - but I just started. I want to drop a little bit more before going back to the gym b/c I'd be embarrassed if I pass out on a machine after 10 minutes...I used to go all the time until I just got lazy and stopped.

I was reading one of my Wicca books the other day. (The Circle Within: Creating A Wiccan Spiritual Tradition - if anyone wants to know)
No, I'm not going to preach - but I am going to quote some lines that truly inspired me to start caring for myself:

Even one candle sheds light
The longer we hold past actions against someone, the longer we are the victims of their actions.
You life is holy. Your heart and mind and body are expressions of Divine love, and if you don't treat them as such, who will?

Good luck to everyone, and with that - I'm off to bed so I can rise early and keep on excersizing.

Kiwi
08-09-2006, 06:20 AM
my waxer asked me if I had lost weight lately

im not doing my fun run to lose weight, but it was nice to hear all the same !!

COMINATCHA
08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I was keeping a food diary, where I wrote down EVERYTHING I ate each day, so I could see what I was really putting into my body. I also wrote down all the excersise I was doing each day. It worked really well - a little too well actually. I was getting a bit too obsessive, so I scrapped the diary idea.
Just a heads up if anyone decides to do something similar, but then again, it might work for someone who is less obsessive than me ;)

NightWolf
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Actually, COMI, this is a really good idea and it's normally a common thing most personal trainers will tell you to do. Keep a log of everything you eat that way you can see exactly where in your diet changes need to be made. I did this and it worked great. I was eating nowhere near enough calories during my bulking phase and was taking in too little protein. With the help of that tactic, I was able to get my intake to the correct amounts easily.

I don't think being too obsessive about this is a bad thing. It's your body, it's your health. Take whatever measures you see necessary to stay fit. If nobody gets it or understands it, screw em. I got friends that sit and argue with me every day about what i take in and what supplements I'm taking. But of course, these are the people that always have something to say, even when nobody asked them for their opinions.

LadyMage
08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I've done that too Cougar. Water rather than snacks, but I couldn't keep to it.

But, I did notice that I've lost about an inch off my lower stomach. (My belly is partitioned: spare tire 1 and spare tire 2, so to say). The upper is giving me issues but I've also taken to running and walking a lot. It's getting there, but I noticed DEFINITE loss in the lower as of late.

PuckishOne
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't know how much help this was, but the whole healthy eating thing is kinda new to me (I'm surprised Taco Bell hasn't called to see if I'm still alive:) ).
Thanks, Cougar. :) And it's not that Taco Bell doesn't care, they're just, you know, busy. :D

I've determined that I'm up against a helluva lot more than can be changed with a freezer full of low-cal entrees. I don't want to get into depression-inducing details here, but suffice it to say that I'm going to start concentrating on what goes into my body and start letting him sort himself out.

Meanwhile, I keep plugging away. Workouts 3-4 evenings a week. Big salads for lunch, small dinners (which is easy since exercise pretty much demolishes my appetite). Just ordered the dress for my wedding, so hopefully it will need to be altered in a negative direction before November. *crosses fingers*

cougar_guy04
08-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Thanks, Cougar. :) And it's not that Taco Bell doesn't care, they're just, you know, busy. :D

I've determined that I'm up against a helluva lot more than can be changed with a freezer full of low-cal entrees. I don't want to get into depression-inducing details here, but suffice it to say that I'm going to start concentrating on what goes into my body and start letting him sort himself out.
That's actually one of the things that lead me to start working out. My brother dropped a bunch of weight, my dad started dropping weight . . . I was tired of being the fat one in the family.

Peer pressure is a wonderful tool when put into the right hands.

Kiwi
08-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Me and kyle walked 2.77 KMS yesterday

were going to do the same today thats our longest walk yet (training for the fun run)

found an awesome site

www.mapmyrun.com

check it out people

cougar_guy04
08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
found an awesome site

www.mapmyrun.com

check it out people

Sweet link. Definitely better mapping out my bike route to class better than mapsonus.com

Thanks for the link:super:

Kiwi
08-13-2006, 11:52 PM
walked it again today, yesterday took 45 minutes

day today we really hooned it and it took 33

yay walking!!

7 weeks until the fun run!!

I cant start running until I get a new um... "outfit" ... my old sports bra gave up the ghost

oh well

LadyMage
08-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Checked my weight loss progress.....195 lbs still BUT between Sept. 05 and this year, I am HALFWAY there. Of about 90 lbs, i lost 42.

WOO!

LostMyMind
08-29-2006, 02:46 PM
:grats: 90lb lost in 1 year is very good.

Crazyredhead
09-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I finally joined the gym yesterday. I went there a couple of years ago when I was working next door. It is only 37.00 a month for just me. I didn't take on the tanning package this time. I just want to get into shape.

I was going to go this morning with Tyrese, but he came down with something last night and is running a fever of 103. http://www.finalshare.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/LGFEVE110a.gif
and he won't get out of bed, he's been laying around on the couch all morning. http://digilander.libero.it/le.faccine/faccinea/porello/0002016.gif. He has had a runny nose for the past couple of day. I knew that something was up when it started running green. I was hoping that it was just a cold, but I am worried about an ear infection. None of my kids ever showed the typical symptoms of an ear infection. This would be the first time that he has been sick since he was born, since he has never stepped foot inside of a daycare.

I guess I will just have to postpone the gym until he is better. I wouldn't want to put the other kids there at the daycare center (at the gym) in danger of getting sick.

LadyMage
09-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Whoo, okay. I didn't post here in a while, so may as well update on the best news of the day.

I re-joined the gym. Mom paid me a 3-year cheap membership at the local club so I figured what the hey and went for a full-body workout today. No personal trainer. Did the old routine: Cardio 10 mins (120 cals gone) and toning exercise, 2 sets of 15 reps each.

And weighed myself for the first time in weeks....

...and discovered I lost 12 more lbs. Which explains how I'm able to get into a size 12 shirt and my size 16 stuff is LOOSE on me.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10704;67;0;1/c/183/t/150/s/237/k/ad2f/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

In other news, work starts in 2 hours. :P

Crazyredhead
09-09-2006, 02:56 AM
I finally got to the gym this afternoon. I did about 45 min on the treadmill at a 4% incline going about 3.8mph. I'll move up to running in about a week. I also did the weight afterwards. I know I'm going to be sore in about 2 days, I can already feel it. I'm weighing in at about 176 now. I started at 172 but it is the muscle that I am gaining. I have to forse myself to stay off of the scale, if not I will be on it every morning. I know that I won't see any results on the scale this fast but I am impatient. But good things come to those who wait. But patience is not one of my virtues.

ArenaBoy
09-09-2006, 06:14 AM
I've been running since I was 13, did cross-country and track. I still run because it's a habit. I used to do martial arts in my spare time and combine that with running and you get a Bruce Lee duplicate. Anyway, college just started and I have yet to fall victim to the infamous Freshman 15. I plan on running a half-marathon next month so I need to keep the running up also. Going longer distances is nice, makes it easier to fall asleep.

Crazyredhead
09-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, I went back to the gym today even though I am as sore as hell. I thought that I could work the soreness out, but I think that I just made it worse. I stepped my running up some today. I walked for 30 min and ran for 15. I can't run very fast right now, only 6.0mph, but I am getting better. I have to meet Reggie Monday morning to see where I stand right now and to find how to use there new machines. I don't want to pull a muscle by using one wrong. Especially to where I can't run anymore. To take my ability to run is like removing my lungs, I just couldn't exist anymore. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

Ringtail Z28
09-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Well I guess I can finally post in this thread. After a little less than two weeks of not drinking soda or eating anything with sugar I managed to drop five pounds. That suprised the hell out of me, I didn't think it would make that much of an impact since I work out quite a bit.

It was actually looking at my coworkers that encouraged me to change my diet. I'm terrified of the thought of being anything like them. After hearing some of them gasp and wheeze after walking from the parking lot to the office was kinda scary.

Sphinx
09-11-2006, 07:25 PM
I have been eating turkey sandwiches for the past month and have lost around 8 pounds just from doing that. I carry my lunch to work everyday and lunch meat is not to expensive and it lasts a while :lol: I also have been drinking lots of water too.

ArenaBoy
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
It was actually looking at my coworkers that encouraged me to change my diet. I'm terrified of the thought of being anything like them. After hearing some of them gasp and wheeze after walking from the parking lot to the office was kinda scary.

I know what you mean Ringtail. A lot of the office workers at the arena are like that. Seeing them do that makes me realize why I run in the first place. A lot of the basketball fans are like that too. Plus lifiting cones and signs can whip anyone into shape.

Kiwi
09-11-2006, 11:43 PM
actually after starting at the call centre im SHOCKED at the amount of obese people there... yes they employ 1200 people but holy moly I have never been in a workplace with a majority of overweight people.

Of course everyone so far has been nice and friendly and helpful, in not in anyway disparaging a person soley on the basis of having a few extra pounds, its just strange to be on the "skinny" side of the fence for once!

Crazyredhead
09-16-2006, 01:06 AM
actually after starting at the call centre im SHOCKED at the amount of obese people there... yes they employ 1200 people but holy moly I have never been in a workplace with a majority of overweight people.

When I worked at Convergys we had woman (no men) that were so obese they had to remove the arms from the chairs and some of them had to to have special chairs. The desk chairs would buckle. The woman were so big that they would overflow the chairs. But they were all very sweet and nice. I found out that some of them have obesity in there family and is hereditary. One such lady joined my gym and now I don't even recognise here. She is a whole different woman.

One such woman had more ass hanging off the chair than I actually had in it. (no insults intended).

Oh and I found out tonight why my lower back hurts so much, I have tight butt muscles!!!!

My trainer gave me a good back/butt masage, he worked out all the kinks in my back. I run for about an hour and am getting faster and my back is paying for it.

Back in 1995, when I rejoined the military, I went from doing nothing to being thrown into running 4 miles a day. It took almost 2 months for the back spasms to go away. I would either get shots or ice massages. You could feel the muscles jumping and bunching, felt like a big ball of muscle. After that I was running 4 miles in my sleep. I was running better than the 18 year olds. I was the fastest female in the entire company and faster than half of the guys (toot toot).

I just need to find a deoderant that can keep up with me now.

Crazyredhead
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I have been running for the past 3 weeks and the only thing that I see is that I am gaining weight. I'm hoping that it is only muscle. I haven't changed the way that I eat and I have been running 5 miles a day for an hour. It is a little discouraging to see the scale going up instead of down. This is why I could never stick to a workout program before, I expect results in to short of time. I'm not very good in the patience dept. But my coach said to give it some time and I will start to see the inches disappear.

Now I have to deal with a large blister under my arch. I have very high arches and have to wear arch supports in my shoes or my feet will start to hurt. I guess my feet are just soft and not used to the friction. I started with 3 small ones, then I went running last night, and now I have one big one. I had to pop it, to release the pressure. I bought a box of those extra large bandaids and it feels better. I think that it is about time for a new pair of running shoes. Mine are about 2 years old. They have only about 4 months of running on them and the rest is just to the store and back. But regardless of how they are used, I still need a new pair.

I weighed in about 2-3 weeks ago at 175, now I am 177.6. I've added in some abdominal work after my run. I am tired of looking at this gut. I can wear a size 18 but they are baggy on me and a size 16 fits, but it cuts into my stomach. Since I cannot afford $8500.00 for a tummy tuck and lipo, I'll have to do this the old fashioned way. But I swear that I will look damn good by the time I hit 40.

Severen13
09-28-2006, 05:25 PM
I needed to get my flabby butt back into shape, so I dusted of the weights, put some exercise DVDs on, and got back in the groove. I've been working out 5 days a week for three weeks now. My clothes are looser, I can see the shape coming back to my shoulders, I have more energy, I sleep better and I feel better. Yeehaw!

:D

BrightEyedKitty
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, after being overweight from the time I was five, I decided to try to lose a few pounds. I'm down to about 190 from over 200, over the last couple weeks.

Yogurt, carrots, apples, bananas, broccoli, those 96% fat free lunchmeats, cottage cheese and pineapple, potatoes with salsa instead of butter, plus some of those Weight Watchers/Lean Cuisine, etc. dinners to relieve the monotony.

I've heard milk is also good for a diet, so I've been buying skim milk and eating it with cereal. (Mmm...yogurt burst Cheerios!) :D

Unfortunately, I work in a pizza place, and I got tired of salads, so I'll either bring my own food in to snack on, or take a pizza crust, put sauce on it, run it through the oven and eat it that way. I've heard white flour isn't good for diets, but at least it's better than a ton of cheese or greasy meats.

Oh, and those soy vegetable burgers are tasty on wheat bread. :D

I have a bad ankle, so I'm trying to get the poundage down a bit before I start an exercise regimen.

NightWolf
09-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Actually, Cheese isn't bad for a diet. It's added protein that the body needs, so I would think that throwing some cheese on the pizza crust wouldn't hurt much.

Everyone's body is different and will respond differently to specific regimines, so I would try a few different things, see what works, and go to it.

We're behind you all the way!!! :)

For my update. I've been really REALLY bad. I haven't worked out in about 3-4 weeks. First I had family in town for a wedding, right after that I got sick and was stuck on a bland diet for 2 weeks. Uggg..now that it's over, time to get back on track. My first week so far has been hell. Everything hurts and I'm reminded that the body doesn't like to take that much time off. It's also time to get back on that good ole diet. No more soda, no more fast food. Well, very little of it anyway. :D

Luna
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
What I've been doing is counting calories. Every other diet I've tried hasn't worked or if it did - I quickly gained the weight back again.

This way, with counting calories - I can eat whatever I want - ice cream, cake, cereal - as long as I leave myself enough calories for the rest of the day. When I'm hungry between meals, I drink water or diet snapple.

I've actually learned that I wasn't hungry all the time - my body actually wanted WATER not food - but I was just shoving more food in me. Now I find I have more energy, I feel better and I'm actually NOT hungry.

I've only lost a few pounds, but I know doing this they will stay off b/c I'm not losing them drastically on some fad diet that you can't stick with. I don't drink anything sugary except the occasioanl OJ, everything is diet, or water/sugar free flavored water.

The Lean Cuisine meals are good, so are "Smart Ones". I'm also saving a lot of money. Lean Cuisine is usually on sale 2 for less than the price of one mall lunch costs.

NightWolf
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Way to go Luna!! I hope things keep on going down from here for ya. :D

Severen13
09-29-2006, 02:38 PM
My collar bones and biceps are coming back!!!! :)

PuckishOne
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Hooray collarbones!! :) It's a nice feeling, seeing those formerly-buried little bits of yourself, isn't it?

For myself, I have hit what you might call a Giant Freaking Wall of Mental Blockage. Trying to work through it, but I know I really, really need to find some alternative to the gym...to be read "something I actually like and will do." :( Hoping to find some dance, martial arts and/or yoga classes nearby that aren't going to break the bank...wish me luck. Meantime, I am managing to slog through the gym on occasion, and cutting back on the especially-bad foodstuffs (fast food, beer, general fried foods).

It's awesome to hear the success stories - the small ones as well as the major ones - from everyone, though. Great job!! :)

Kiwi
09-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I brought a skipping rope the other day, and kyle got me a birkam yoga card for my birthday (thats the heated room yoga) because I have such shoddy circulation.

I used to kick skippings ass, now im like this big clumsy oaf.... quite a shock to the system!

Crazyredhead
10-01-2006, 02:29 AM
I didn't go to the gym today and I won't tomorrow. I will have to add an extra mile onto my run monday. I had a large slice of raspberry cheesecake today and a Prime Rib with Cheese sub from Quizno's today. I think that I found a naughty place to go to when I want to cheat on my diet. That sub was the BOMB!!!! http://imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/203688.gif

Der Cute
10-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Well, now that I've moved to a warmer climate, I'm drinking more water!!!

When I was in Alaska, I was cold, and liked drinking soda a lot. Now I'm in Washington state, and I like drinking water :) It tastes better when you're hot and in the sunshine.

Yesterday I also went to the hotel's gym and did a 30 min workout on a bike and treadmill.
That may not be too much, but it's better than nothing.

Now if the hotel would quit putting fresh warm cookies out at 6:30 pm. Gah.

And I like the sunshine around here, it really helps pick me up.

Cutenoob

protege
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
After moving down the street 3 weeks ago, I'm slowly getting back to the gym. I'd like to go there more, but I don't want to end up hurting myself. Usually, I'd warm up with some cardio, then run through the Nautilus machines. However, since I've been carrying boxes most nights, I simply skip the cardio ;)

Hopefully, my "spare tire" will disappear soon. While I'm at it, I need to bulk up a bit muscle so I can better handle the MG's lack of power steering. It's heavy at parking speeds, but lightens up a bit at speed. Trust me, it's can be a pain on twisty roads :p

officegirl
10-02-2006, 02:32 PM
It seems no matter what I do, I can not see a difference. I am not fat by any means but I have fat in places I never use to have fat and I HATE IT!!! I now have love handles and am super self-conscious about them. I don't want to be one of those "muffin top" girls. Also, my tummy is no longer flat as it use to be :( When I was in high school, I didn't have an ounce of fat on me. After I got to college, the dreaded freshman 15 took it's toll on me and while I've managed to lose most of it, it's left behind some not-so-pleasant surprises. I jog when I get time and do pilates as well and walk my dog every day and I believe I eat plenty healthy but I have not seen a change. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to finish off these last 5-10 pounds??

stormtreader
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Well done everyone!

Im still dieting (down to 170 lb from 210, 25 to go) and I owe it all to tracker bars for breakfast/snacks (110 calories each and they have chocolate chips! :D ) and weightwatchers dinners for when im not bothered what to have. (im rubbish at portion control)

Now, if i could just remember how my rowing machine works.... ;)

Crazyredhead
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to finish off these last 5-10 pounds??

Try cardio, about 60 minutes of it everyday for 5-6 days. I can't say much, I have only lost about an inch around my waist so far. Don't use your scale as a determination on how much you are losing, I have found that they are evil things. I know how you feel, I have been trying to lose 35 lbs. I have been running 5 1/2 miles a day for the past month and a half, and haven't seen anything yet. I still look the same to me, fat!

NightWolf
10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
That sub was the BOMB!!!!

Yes that sub is indeed awsome!! I had a small one today for lunch. I figure I might has well enjoy myself while I can't work out. I want to make sure I'm fully over this flu before I start putting my body through the hellacious workouts again. Last thing I want is a relapse. :(

Crazyredhead
10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I have been restricted from working out until after tomorrow. My urologist told me to take it easy, he made me an appointment with my Gyn for Thursday. It appears there is a reason to my incontinence while running that my gyn needs to be aware of. It is not good, and could result in a hysterectomy as a worse case senerio. I'll post about it later in Off Topic, after my appointment.

Just a word of warning to all the guys, this is about womans issues and equipment. I don't want to jump the gun and will just wait until either tomorrow afternoon to explain or the next morning.

Crazyredhead
11-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Am I the only one that is keeping up with this thread??

Anyways, all of the running I am doing is paying off. I just had a very happy weekend. I found that I could wear my size 14 jeans again. My size 16 are still to tight (that was not a typo). I am able to wear the sweatpants that I wore before I found out I was pregnant (oh, happy days are here again!!)http://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gif

Even though I have only lost 5 lbs, I have noticed more in the way my cloths fit. I figure that in the next month, I should see a really big change. I can see it now but I am waiting to see muscle tone in my abs. I have seen the muscles in my legs. My legs seem longer now. I don't want to lose my ass, just tone it up. I love my bubble butt. I have always had long legs and they never get bulky, just longer, due to my running. My coach said that I have tight butt muscles.

What would make me a happy camper is to find that my entire stomach goes completely flat by tomorrow morning, but we all know that is not going to happen, but there is a lot less of it there. I have noticed a big change in my gut. I hate it but I am dealing with it. There isn't as much hanging over my jeans (mushroom girl).

I told my daughter that when I get my body where I want it, I'm going to dress out for halloween next year. I want to be something very sexy cause I want to show off all those hours of me sweating my ass off on the treadmill.

NightWolf
11-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Glad to hear you're having results!!! :D WTG!!

Oh, and visual aids do wonders for us guys. ;)

I myself have just started back on the program with a little help from an HGH supplement.

I can't believe how much progress I lost with almost 2 months off. It's depressing. :(

But, I noticed that it feels good working out. I think my body was ready for this and screaming ABOUT TIME!! :lol:

Now if only my calves would stop yelling at me. Ouch....did my workout on Sunday, and they still hurt 4 days later.

LadyMage
11-03-2006, 06:59 AM
I also keep up with this but I've not had much chance to go to the gym or weigh myself for that matter. My time off has really been limited.

But...my size 16 jeans, which I bought in September and were tight on me, are VERY loose now. I mean, my belt is at least one full notch tighter than norm, which I find amazing and I've noticed the weight melting off my back.

Unfortunately my ankle is a bit screwed -_- so my exercise is limited

Plaidman
11-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Somewhat, after 33 years of smoking, my mom's decided to quit. She's also excersing on a bike everyday, and has changed her diet for more healthness. 33 days without a smoke! (She's been bit of a .... dog.... lately, any advice?

Ringtail Z28
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Less than two months and I'm twenty-two pounds lighter. Wierd, I never would've thought it would be this easy. My pants are starting to get really loose, I can actually put both arms down the sides and it still won't be a snug fit, but then again I've always worn loose clothes anyways. :)

protege
11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, I was *hoping* to hit the gym last night. But, that didn't happen. Not only was I somewhat "under the weather" but I had too much work to do at home.

NightWolf
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
That sucks when that happens. :(

I was under the weather for about 2 months. Yes 2 months. I'd no more than get over it, and get a relapse. It sucked, and boy is my body paying for it. I started lifting again, and lost about 50lbs on all my lifting. :cry:

I'm soooo depressed about it. Oh well, I guess there is only one way to get back up there. Keep on the weights, and don't let up.

I will say, I do fell great now that I'm lifting again. I think my body REALLY needed it.

Crazyredhead
01-11-2007, 03:31 AM
I have finally lost 12 lbs and a couple of inches everywhere. My jeans are looser and I am wearing what I wore before I got pregnant with Tyrese. I look better, my hubby says that I no longer look bloated and puffy. He says that I have great legs. I went from a size 18 jeans to a size 14 since October. I have been going to pilates and body sculpting class along with running 6 miles a day. I can tell that my stomach is going down but I still have this stupid lump (hernia) that refuses to go down.

I have a hysterectomy, bladder and hernia repair procedure sometime this summer. When I run I run hard and everytime, I lose all bladder control and have started feeling a mass down there. I think it is getting worse and am going to call the VA to see if I can get my appointment moved up. It is more embarrasing than anything. I have to take an extra pair of underwear and shorts with me to change into.

I am trying to get into the best shape that I can by this summer. The hardest thing that I am trying to lose at this time are these damn love handles and belly.

I think that I have gotten the hardest part out of the way, losing the intial poundage. When I started I weighed 172, about a month later I was 180, then a month after that I broke even with 172, then a couple of days ago I was 168. I was jumping for joy in the middle of the gym.

I am going to start running on the road, I want to get ready for the 5K runs this spring. Currently I am doing 3 miles in 30 minutes which is alot better than when I started. I am trying to get myself to a 9 minute mile (I'm close), but I was told that I need to train out on the road since there is a big difference between the road and treadmill. The treadmill has gotten me used to what a 9:15 minute mile feels like and I can go from there.

In my neighborhood there is this woman who started walking after I did over the summer. She looks no different now than when she started. I think that she needs to run and I have offered to run with her but she looks at me like I have the plague. I know that she is jealous of the weight that I have lost, but I haven't said anything to her except encouragement that with work and persistance she will lose all that weight. I actually feel sorry for her, her husband recently left her and her two kids.

iradney
01-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I've been going to gym twice a day, 5 days a week. Do 45 - 60 mins of cardio in the mornings, and 30 -45 mins of weights circuit in the afternoons.
Foodwise, I'm drinking 2 - 3 litres of water a day, cut back on coffee, tea and pop. I'm trying to get my 5-6 daily servings of fruit n veg, and cut out carbs after 5. I also walk the pup everyday for at least half an hour, and some days I'll run with him as well. Haven't lost much in the way of poundage (I've only been doing it for a month!), but my clothes feel looser, and I have alot more energy!
My boyfriend told me that if I can get to the weight I was when we met, he'll buy me a new wardrobe! :) (that's abou 20 -25 pounds of weight, totally do-able!)

Kiwi
03-29-2007, 05:59 AM
bump for Crazyredhead

powerboy
03-30-2007, 08:38 AM
I have been doing alright with my diet. I am cutting out the extra servings. I exercise alot more now, every other day. I am lifting weights, for about an hour each day, starting yesterday.

protege
04-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Tonight, I actually went to the gym...and made over 500 calories disappear! I almost didn't go, since I was feeling a bit loopy. However, I had to get off my ass--I'm so out of shape it's not even funny :(

Since I got there later than usual, I just did 45 minutes of cardio. Because I haven't done it in awhile, my legs went rubbery after the first 15 minutes. However, once I was done, not only were 500 calories gone...but I'd walked a total distance of over 3 miles...and climbed the USX Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USX_Tower), all 64 stories of it...a total of 3 times! Holy crap! (If anyone is wondering, I was on the stair climber...which measures both overall distance, and the number of "floors" reached.)
link

Crazyredhead
04-08-2007, 02:25 AM
I finally did it!! I just ran 6.1 miles in 60 min. I have been working on it for the past 6 months and finally reached my goal. I have started weight lifting and have put on another 5 pounds.:cry: :cry: I was trying to lose another 10 pounds by april 24th, but now I have to 15 now. (sigh)

I still have this damn roll around my belly. It looks like a tire when I sit or bend over. It makes me sick to look at it. :puke: I keep trying to tell myself that it is going away and getting smaller, but at times it is hard.

BookstoreEscapee
04-10-2007, 01:09 AM
OK, I have been at my job for almost a year (June 5) and I have probably gained at least 20 pounds, if not more. (Feels like more.) Honestly, most people probably wouldn't believe me if I told them how much I currently weigh, but I seem to be gaining most of it in my belly, which really bothers me. Worse, almost none of my clothes fit me anymore. On top of that, I work in a warehouse, and have to walk across half the building and up 42 stairs to get to my office (there is an elevator but I refuse to be that lazy - the only times I've taken the elevator I was either with someone else or carrying something heavy, and one time I was sick and just didn't have the energy). By the time I get up the stairs I feel like my lungs will explode, and then I still have half of my distance yet to walk. (And when I run into my boss on my way up I feel worse cuz he runs marathons.:rolleyes:) Before this job I was in the stores for the last 5 years so I was on my feet and lugging stuff around all day long. I didn't exercise, per se, but my day was a lot more active. Now I spend at least 3/4 of my day at a desk most days. (Last time I had an office job I didn't gain weight, but I walked 6 blocks to and from the train station almost every day (unless the weather was really bad, then it was 4 blocks by subway).)

I try to go to the park when the weather is nice, but it's been cold lately. And I have a treadmill at home which I have been using at least a few times a week, but it's not enough. I really want to start running and I get discouraged when I can't breathe after 30 seconds. (I actually ran for a couple minutes on the treadmill last week but outside I can't do it. The treadmill moves and there is no change in terrain so it makes it a lot easier.)

My eating habits are really bad, too. In general I just don't eat enough, but what I do eat is often not particularly good for me. I read fitness/health magazines, I know all the things I need to do and what I shouldn't be doing, but I need someone to kick my ass and make me do it.

So who wants to hold me accountable?

Geek King
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I I have started weight lifting and have put on another 5 pounds.:cry: :cry: I was trying to lose another 10 pounds by april 24th, but now I have to 15 now. (sigh)

I still have this damn roll around my belly. It looks like a tire when I sit or bend over. It makes me sick to look at it. :puke: I keep trying to tell myself that it is going away and getting smaller, but at times it is hard.

Whoa, hey! Don't be so hard on yourself! If you have begun wieghtlifting, you will naturally put on wieght as the muscles get thicker and denser. Those developing muscles aren't filled with helium! If you can afford it, try to get a Body Mass Index (BMI) test to see exactly how bad off you really are. The spare tire effect may be alliviated by changing some of the exorcises you use. Try to see a professional trainer of some sort (even one available free to gym members) to get ideas on what could help you focus on that area. Good luck!

BookstoreEscapee
04-10-2007, 11:36 PM
The spare tire effect may be alliviated by changing some of the exorcises you use. Try to see a professional trainer of some sort (even one available free to gym members) to get ideas on what could help you focus on that area. Good luck!

Don't forget, you can have all the abs in the world and no one's gonna see 'em if they're covered in a layer of fat. Keep up the cardio!

But yeah, if you're building muscle you might add a few pounds. A better measure is: how do your clothes fit? You can be losing inches even if your weight doesn't change.

Crazyredhead - I can't run for 2 minutes and I wanna die when I get to the top of the stairs at work (see my post from last night). You're doing great! I am jealous :) (And where is that tire when you are standing/sitting with proper posture? I hate my belly too, especially when I tie my shoes in the morning. But when I stand up straight it's not so bad. I'll bet it's not as bad as you think! We're always our own harshest critic...

Kara
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I've been meaning to drop the pooch for awhile now, especially as we approach another swimsuit season and I now live not even a mile away from a lake, but there's always so many reasons to stop trying. I can't ever get myself motivated to do much but relax on my days off. It probably wouldn't take much, but the problem is I spent 5 years in retail and was always up on my feet, roaming the store. Especially when we were supposed to be patrolling our departments or looking for customers to assist, so I was always in motion. Then I came to my current job at a call center, and I sit on my rear all day.

Now, this may sound silly, but I think the Nintendo Wii is going to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I've been having a blast with the Wii Sports disc that it comes with. I've had it a week and I've already noticed small changes. Probably not as much as spending a couple hours in the gym, but it's impressive considering it's a video game. It even has a workout option, but I haven't done much with it. Boxing is probably the biggest workout. Though you don't have to even get off the couch to play, it feels more natural to get up and actually move like you're really doing it. After 10 minutes of punching, blocking, and dodging, I feel wiped out, and feel the muscles is my arms and upper body actually burning. Like I said, it's probably not as significant as an official workout program (like that pilates DVD I bought 3 years ago and have never even once taken out of the case), but I may just find myself stretched out on the beach in one of the new 2 piece swimsuits I bought without being self-conscious.

Crazyredhead
08-04-2007, 02:17 AM
I think that this thread was forgotten. I have finally reached my goal of less than 160 pounds, I'm 158. I'm so happy I'm pink. I have been running for almost a year and have finally gotten halfway decent. I'm still working on running non stop for 6-7 miles. I found that I start off to fast and burn out about half way through. I have a 5K run this month on the 18th and am still working on it. I also found that I am still adicted to running, I actually get up on my own at around 6am and go out and run. I have run a couple of 12 milers but most of my runs are around 10 miles. I am going to try and shoot for 155 by the 22nd but if I don't I won't be to upset, I'm just happy to be where I am now. I figured one I get down to 155-150 I'll be getting into my size 13 slip Levi's. I can put them on, but I have to lie down to zip them up, and I have a large roll of me around the top of them.

I have a goal to get down to 140 then I will take it 5 pounds at a time till I get close to 130. I used to be 120 but I had no muscle tone. Now with running and these legs, I probably will never get to 120, unless I stop eating, and I don't want to go through that again. I've also been drinking protein shakes to supplement my eating, it really helps along with the multivitamin. Mainly cause I don't eat enough anyways.

protege
08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I admit, it's been awhile since I was last at the gym. I haven't been slacking off though--I've been doing yard work. My home's previous owner just cut the grass...and left the rest to go to shit. All the plants look pretty bad, so I've been ripping them out, along with the wooden border. Whoever put that border in should be shot. Not only do 2-foot-long spikes hold the layers together...but there are *additional* spikes pounded into the ground!

Where am I going with this? Well, ripping that crap out was a nice workout. Rather than cut the 3x3 wood beams in half, I snapped them instead. Nothing hard about that--lay them across a stack of cinder blocks, and swing the 40-pound fence maul. Usually they broke with the first whack :angel: After using the maul for awhile, it burns off some energy.

I'd rather go to the gym though, since it's a more controlled environment. Plus, I don't have to clean up broken 3x3 beams :p

LadyMage
08-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Dear gods, I've been away from here a while.

First off, Crazyredhead - CONGRATS!

Myself, it's been paying off, slowly.

I noticed my eating patterns change only after I realized I couldn't stomach a breaded chicken finger. How it happened I don't know, but for a good while, I shaped up my eating: Carrot sticks, Polly-O string cheese, various fruits and veggies and eggs and brown rice being the sole source of grain are staples in my diet. Yogurt replaced sweets.

It worked miracles.

I moved rooms for the summer to 1. finish school and 2. be closer to work and one of my roommates has a series of workout DVDs, exercises specifically designed to target the middle of the body. I got hooked, then started running again and, to a shock, I 1. ran a 10-minute mile and 2. lost inches. I dropped to a size 14 at about April. I'm shrinking rapidly from that and am now able to wear the jeans I couldn't fit into 3 years ago. Which are a size twelve.

NightWolf
08-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Gratz Ladymage and Crazyredhead!!

Awsome! Reaching those goals is an awsome thing.

Personally, I haven't seen a big difference in the way my pants fit. They are a tad looser, but I am seeing differences in my chest, legs, and back. I'm seeing a slender down in the sides of my chest and abs, Sadly, just not in the front. I still have a belly, although the wife swears it's going away. (she says she's losing her couch pillo.) And I still have the good ole furry man boobies. :lol:

I did however reach my goal of bench pressing 310lbs.

During my usual workouts, i'm able to put up 280lbs 10-12 times.

310, I can usally put out about 6 reps. I was sooooo happy when I was able to do that. :D

Also was able to make it to 100lbs on each arm for arm curls. w00t!

I've seen dramatic increases all the way around in weight. Sadly I don't think my new routine is giving me the cardio I wanted, so I may need to change a few things to try and work off the fat under the abs.

On a side note....i was watching T.V. at work one night when I noticed most of the guys in the worlds strongest man competition aren't really all that slender either, they can sure move the weight, but they weren't the slender guys you would picture when you think of lifters. I'm hoping this isn't the way i'm turning out. :(

PuckishOne
08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Dear gods, I've been away from here a while.
Ditto. :)

First off, Crazyredhead - CONGRATS!

Also ditto. :D And to you, Ladymage, as well.

Glad to hear that some of us are making progress...not too much for me, although I can see the occasional bright speck of light in the darkness. At the moment I am still stuck in the size 14/16 rut, but I've been working quite a bit on motivation, both for exercising (I despise the gym) as well as cooking and eating well at home. It's going to be a matter of telling myself to go and do it, and to look at it as taking care of myself and therefore a necessity. I'm hoping to be able to report at least a little progress by my birthday next month, so...watch this space. ;)

Rapscallion
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmm - I managed to get on the scales at my parents' house for the first time since I moved out. I've not been active in the warehouse as much as I should, but...

Wow. I need to eat less.

Rapscallion

NightWolf
08-06-2007, 04:43 AM
I wouldn't say you need to eat less perhaps. Maybe just less more often? I'm finding that is working well for me. I usually eat about 2-3 hours apart. Nothing major. Maybe like an Apple and a granola bar or something. I just don't overdo it when it comes to the big meals like supper or lunch. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake around 400 per meal. (easier said that done however)

and water...omg the water. I'm supposed to drink about 1gal or more a day. I've managed to find a way to fit it all in, but holy cow thats a lot of water to suck down. So hard to stay off the soda kick. Curse you soda!!!

I am starting to get a little worried about my protien intake though. With all the HiT lifting i'm doing I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting the proper amount of protien. Might just have to add a few shakes to my routine, sadly i just hope i can fit it into the budget. :(

Glad to see you are trying to keep motivated Puck. I'll have to drop into chat in the near future and keep ya pumped! :D

protege
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
What? Nobody commented on me snapping 3x3 beams?

But seriously, I'm trying to lose my "spare tire." It kinda sucks that it will *not* go away, leading to stupid comments from some people :cry:

PuckishOne
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
What? Nobody commented on me snapping 3x3 beams?
Ooooh, aaaah!!! Look at those biiiiiiig muscles on you!!! *bats eyelashes*

Better? :D

Thanks, NightWolf - I've been trying the "healthy snack meal" routine during the workdays, and it does seem to be helping to keep me away from temptation. We had some cookies in the office the other day, and I ate only one -- highly unusual for such a baked-good fiend as me, but I was thrilled. Hubby and I are also getting into the "100 Mile Diet" - which promotes eating only things that come from a 100-mile radius (or thereabouts) of your house. From what I've seen so far it's going to mean a big increase in our fruit & veggie consumption, which can only be a good thing. For myself I've also considered going semi-vegetarian at least occasionally so that may make a change as well.

As for water, I have a 1000ml Nalgene bottle at my desk, and generally, I get through 2 bottles of water a day with no problem. I don't sweat over my caffeine intake, since it consists of a mug of black tea in the morning and one (two, tops) can of diet soda.

I'm also getting back to exercising, every evening after work, for at least 30 minutes. The gym is a mere block from home, so there are no excuses whatsoever. I also get out of bed a little earlier and do some stretching and light yoga, and I'm finding it makes a difference in my energy level.

Sphinx
08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I stopped going to the gym because of working all the time, but since I've gotten a dog, I take us both across the street to the park for a little run every night. I have also been cutting down LOTS of the stuff I eat and the amounts I eat. So hopefully this will help. Now if I could just ge some energy I would be doing great!

Caveat Emptor
08-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I bought a treadmill a few months ago and am trying to maintain a 3 day a week 30 minute each schedule. I try to increase my jogging, right now I'm up to 5 minutes at a stretch at 5 MPH. My problem is getting discouraged; I need distractions to keep me from looking at the elapsed time or I else I tend to want to quit early. I guess I need an Ipod to listen to music, as I can't hear the TV when jogging. I lost 16 pounds in three months, but I think I'm gradually gaining it back. I'm afraid to look at a scale.

The Scaly Bard
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
November of last year, I decided to join the Air Force, but was WAY over the weight limit (Limit for my height was 197, I was 240 at the time). Since then, I've switched from the Air Force to the Marines, and have lost thirty since January. I have pants I haven't worn in years that are now loose on me!

My routine consists of running a 1.5 mile loop where I live (mountainous terrian, lot of hills), push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. It's been slow going, particularly because I'm a very heavy-built man, but I'm going to be in the best shape I can be before I ship out in October of this year.

Things I've noticed that help are many things that people have already mentioned.

-Lots of water
-Lean meats
-Lots of fruits/vegetables
-Occasional snack so it's not completely miserable

Cutting the soda is difficult, since I exist on caffeine. Sadly, caffeine is very bad, as it acts like a diuretic and can dehydrate a person.

Good to hear how great people are doing with their individual programs. Keep it up people! :)

NightWolf
08-07-2007, 05:01 AM
ooops....Sorry Protege. :o

That must have been one helluva workout! I'd probably have died after a few minutes of doing it being the sweataholic i am. :cry:

And I8DaCookie, I would suggest to try eating more. 1200 calories is a bit short for someone who is avidly working out. Don't have to increase it significantly, but try adding some protien shakes in the mix or just have a few small meals throughout the day. Matter of fact, I just finished my Apple with a small amount of peanut butter. mmmmmm. Gotta get that protien in or my muscle development will just crap out.

I totally know what you mean though. I've been kinda stuck where I'm at too and I'm starting to think of what I can do to kick it up. I know damn well I'm not getting near enough protien. But....I'd actually have to have some cash to pick up more supplements. Uggg...I hate working only Part Time. :(

If you're looking for some supplements, check out www.fitnessone.com

I purchase the vitamin packs from Universal Nutrition. I like them very much.

Kiwi
08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Well im now living with 5 other people so eating is turning out very well.... if I dare buy anything remotely junk foody, it is gobbled up instantly.... they will even sniff it out if its in my room! Six people begging for a biscuit of two clears out the package fast!
They are all very slim active people so its having a good effect, it hasnt even been a week and ive given up diet coke, and only had 4 coffees!!!

Thats right only FOUR I usually would have two or three a day! Ive had three meals a day to, and because we all chip in, our fruit basket is full of delishious looking goodies.... plums, nectarines, kiwifruit yum!!!

protege
08-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Ooooh, aaaah!!! Look at those biiiiiiig muscles on you!!! *bats eyelashes*

Better? :D

Hehe much better :D

But seriously, that's the only way I can get a workout now. It sucks that most of my free time is consumed by yard work. Hopefully, once things start coming together (and my yard no longer looks like crap!), I'll be able to hit the gym on a more consistent basis.

Before I started messing about in the yard, I was at the gym nearly every night. At least 4 nights a week. Two nights would be strictly cardio, the others would be a mixture of cardio plus the Nautilus machines. When 9:30 or so came around, I was a bit tired...and would finish things off in the hot tub :)

ArenaBoy
08-09-2007, 05:15 AM
I upped my running distances as of late, I'm running between 6-10 miles a day now and I joined a soccer league a while back so I've been getting plenty of exercise.

Bella_Vixen
08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I figured that since I'm too lazy to exercise (I would, but I hate not having anyone to talk to while doing it...), I figured I'd start out slow. So I bought a Slim Fast.

After the first sip is when I realized why I haven't had one in years. :puke:

Becks
08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Big sis, if I were in WI, I'd exercise with you.

Slim Fast sucks, but I might have to start considering it. Again.

NightWolf
08-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Yes, Slim fast does suck! I totally agree with ya there. Too bad i'm so far up in the state or I'd pump you up.....er.....wow, bad choice there eh? :lol:

I hate working out alone, but then again, there's also something to be said for working out alone. (no-one can see how badly you need to workout or how badly you sweat.)

I picked up a BowFlex and love it. So nice not to have to worry about dropping the weights on my chest or on my toes.

PuckishOne
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'd just like to use my own example to hammer the point home: DRINK WATER. Between my last weigh-in (about 12 days ago) and yesterday, my weight was 8 POUNDS LESS than what it had been, and the only change I'd made was to have started drinking more water. Looks like my body was turning into a cactus and retaining all that water it needed that I wasn't drinking. :p

For those of you who like a little taste with your water, try slicing a lemon and a lime and adding a couple slices of each to the water bottle...I did this yesterday and it tastes great!

NightWolf
08-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Wow WTG Puck!!! Gratz.

It's amazing what extra water will do. Plus I also read that it's important to keep the water chilled, as your body will have to burn up a few extra calories to warm the water. :D

I've been a bad lil monkey. Had kind of a crappy week and haven't been in a good mood to work out. I know that I probably should as it would give me an outlet for some of my frustrations.

DragonRose
08-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Ok, so I'm just starting. I know all the typical advice, I'm just lousy at keeping up with anything. I was doing really good about a week ago, and then completely biffed, and fell down some stairs.

Gonna try working off frustration when I get home - today is the first day I haven't felt bruised and battered. :(

I'm fluctuating the same 5 lbs for the last 4 months - and I have 40 to lose.

congrats to everyone for sticking with it. :highfive: Weight loss is one of the hardest things to do!!!

Rine
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey guys I have a question for you...

What is better? An elliptical trainer or a treadmill? To me, an elliptical looks more "fun" to train on, whereas a treadmill is just walking and running. Eh.

I am looking at a few cheap cheap ones at Wally World and Sears. I can't afford to spend over 500 dollars, but I really want something to work out on because I am really afraid of going to a gym and it's too frickin' hot here to go walking like I usually do.

Any tips?

EvilGnome
08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
For me, the elliptical will wear me out in just 5-6 minutes at a low setting. And it doesn't make my knees hurt! But I can fast walk on the treadmill for a quite a while without feeling the same impact as I do on the elliptical.

I just took the summer off from my work out routine. My gym is in the local high school, so itís only open during the school year, and after school hours. No matter how much I hate it, Iím still looking forward to getting back into it.

A bit of a bonus is that an ďAnyTime FitnessĒ is building in my little town. Iíll have to check them out whenever they finally finish.

NotSoInnocent
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
...now what?

Ok. I really need to lose some weight. I packed on a bit more than I expected with this last heathen child. (I went from 145/150 pounds to 193 pounds) I've always done really well at getting back to pre-pregnancy weight (usually, within 6 months, I actually weigh LESS than I had) but this one looks like it's going to be different.

With 4 heathens in the house I just don't have the time or money to go anywhere to work out (Forget going to the park or playground. Closest one's a 20 minute drive away... and with temps over 100F there's no way I'm, literally, dragging the kids around outside.), and I don't have the space (or free time) in this place to do any sort of work out at all.

I'm eating healthy portions, but my money is being squeezed tighter than a hippo being put into spandex to feed the screaming horde that makes up this family, so meals are usually "Hamburger Helper", spaghetti, hot dogs, or mac & cheese. Not exactly healthy. And forget buying fruits and veggies... after buying enough for the meals there's just nothing left over for those things. (And, boy are they expensive!)

I try to buy a single fruit (usually on sale) every other week... and carrots are usually cheap enough to grab a 2lb bag... But that's hardly enough to cover the servings that I'm supposed to be getting, much less enough for the heathens as well.

My darling Fiance insists that he loves the way I look... but I DON'T! I like it when I look good to myself... and being unable to fit into anything less than a size 16 (when all my clothes, besides sweats and sleep pants, are size 10's) is disheartening, to say the least!

Wish me luck, folks... I'm going to need it! I'll keep everyone updated as the weight comes off (I hope).

Broomjockey
08-17-2007, 09:13 AM
For those of you knocking slim-fast, I'd like to say that not only do I like the taste, but since the start of March I've lost more than 6 inches off my waist and who knows how much weight (because I could never find a scale that would measure above 350 lbs.) And I'm going to pick up a scale soon so I can do regular weighings to track better, but with my infrequent checks, I'm averaging about 2 lbs. lost a week. Plus my food budget is down too. :p

PuckishOne
08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
What is better? An elliptical trainer or a treadmill? To me, an elliptical looks more "fun" to train on, whereas a treadmill is just walking and running.

If you have any issues with hip/knee/ankle pain I would recommend the elliptical trainer. The theory behind these is that it is a low-impact, high-intensity cardio workout (like cross-country skiing), but you definitely get out of it what you put into it. I can easily dink around for 20 minutes or so on an elliptical and barely break a sweat, but when I work (using my arms and setting the resistance a bit higher) it is an incredible calorie-burner.

That said, any machine will get boring if you do the same thing day after day. The better machines of any sort will have a number of programs you can use for variety, and if you want a challenge, you can do your elliptical workout backwards...difficult as all get-out, but you will feel it in your legs the next day. :D

NightWolf
08-19-2007, 05:10 AM
That said, any machine will get boring if you do the same thing day after day

Good point Puck!

Also as a side note, it's a good idea to switch up routines from time to time to cause muscle confusion. This way your body doesn't go into a rut and Plateau.

Seshat
08-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Well, I'm chiming in.

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia - and finally, I've got a diagnosis where the treatment for the diagnosis actually HELPS ME! :)

My 'physiotherapy' is to take my dog for a walk. The goal is to go as far as I can where I get back 'pleasantly tired' and not in excessive pain. 'Excessive pain' is, of course, extremely subjective - but when I go too far, I come back in too much pain to do anything other than curl up and whimper. So ....

Anyway, we're up to 'one block away from the roundabout'. (suitably vague for the 'net, but it'll let me show off my own progress. I'll stick to using landmarks like that.)

My goal is to make it all the way to the park. Once we can do that, A will come with us and we'll include playing frisbee and flying kites in my physiotherapy. The doctor thinks that's a great technique. :D

My success will be a combination of finding the right drugs to make the pain go 'way properly* and correcting the atrophy that people in chronic pain often develop. And, of course, correcting the atrophy will improve my all-round fitness - thus me chiming in on a fitness thread.

* they've discovered that anti-epileptic drugs help some fibro patients: our neurochemistry and neural junctions are screwed up in a similar way.

As for eating: I've discovered that button squash, zucchini and related things are yummy if you steam them in the microwave and crumble fetta cheese with them. And my local bakery makes nice multigrain rolls. That and a bit of lean meat was yesterday's dinner. Another of my goals is to be able to walk down to the local shops and come back with a hand-cart of in-season fruit and veggies from the grocer, a bit of meat from the butcher, and a couple of rolls from the bakery. Exercise and nutrition all in one!

Bella_Vixen
08-22-2007, 03:53 AM
I'm actually drinking a Slim Fast every day...after I add peppermint flavoring to it. :lol:

Rapscallion
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I've started to cut down the amount of food I eat and get more exercise. It's something to do with having to buy even larger jeans. Over 270 pounds and feeling it.

Yummy apples...

Rapscallion

MystyGlyttyr
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia - and finally, I've got a diagnosis where the treatment for the diagnosis actually HELPS ME! :)

*snip*
My success will be a combination of finding the right drugs to make the pain go 'way properly* and correcting the atrophy that people in chronic pain often develop. And, of course, correcting the atrophy will improve my all-round fitness - thus me chiming in on a fitness thread.

* they've discovered that anti-epileptic drugs help some fibro patients: our neurochemistry and neural junctions are screwed up in a similar way.

My mom has that, and her doctor actually prescribed a cough medicine, robitessun or robitussen or however it's spelled, and that really did wonders for her. Of course, she also has kidney issues and other stuff, so for some reason, she's not supposed to take it anymore. :shrug:

Something you might ask the doc about.

Seshat
09-04-2007, 11:55 PM
My mom has that, and her doctor actually prescribed a cough medicine, robitessun or robitussen or however it's spelled, and that really did wonders for her.

Thanks, Mysty.

And I'm up to the roundabout!

BookstoreEscapee
09-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Seshat, my mom has fibromyalgia, too. She swears by ben-gay (she's had back problems since I was a kid, and since she had back surgery when I was 9 her pillow has smelled like mint!). Though I would suggest the vanishing scent variety if you don't want to smell like a roll of Life Savers. She also swims at the YMCA most days and uses the hot tub there, too. If you have access to a pool it's a lot easier on her muscles.

Nothing has changed for me since I last posted in this thread (god, was that really April?!). I haven't weighed myself in a while and frankly, I don't think I want to know. I don't think I've gained anything since then but I'm fairly certain I haven't lost anything either. I told myself I would lose weight before my friend's wedding, and it is this Saturday and here I am...:(.

On the upside, I have stopped getting chicken strips for lunch at work because the last time I did they were not cooked all the way so now I have gone off them. I'm trying to keep that image in my head :).

If you can't stand the taste of Slim Fast and you want a quick liquid meal, try Carnation instant breakfast. Just mix with a cup of milk and go. I don't mink the chocolate Slim Fast but I can't take any of the other flavors.

BookstoreEscapee
09-05-2007, 12:33 AM
(Sorry I'm posting twice...I didn't mean to post yet. The "mouse" pad on my laptop is a little sensitive sometimes and I hit it while I'm typing. Oops.)

If you can't stand the taste of Slim Fast and you want a quick liquid meal, try Carnation instant breakfast. Just mix with a cup of milk and go. I don't mind the chocolate Slim Fast but I can't take any of the other flavors. I like instant breakfast better, though. Plus it costs less.

So, I am on vacation next week. My goal is to go to a running store and have them help me find shoes, because my sneakers are getting worn down and I have not been able to find new ones that feel right. (My other goals are to open a new checking account and get my eyes checked and new glasses, but they are not relevant to this thread :p.) I am also determined to work out at least 4 days during the week, to NOT sleep past 10 am at the absolute latest, and to actually eat breakfast every day. I also intend to fill out the paperwork for the gym at work, because if it takes them a few weeks to program my badge to open the door (as it apparently did for one of the guys in my office) then they should get it done before it starts getting cold outside.

NightWolf
09-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Over 270 pounds and feeling it. Yummy apples...

Raps.....I totally know how you feel. When you start to look at buying jeans and the store only goes to the size you're currently in, it's time to worry. I freaked and thats when I starting making changes. Yeah, I'm not where I want to be, but parts of me are getting there. It's just hardest areas to lose that are getting me frustrated.

And I just finished one of my two apples a lil bit ago. :D

Granny Smith Apples...mmmmmm. Usually I have my first right when I get into work, and the second right before I leave work.

Seshat
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
When you start to look at buying jeans and the store only goes to the size you're currently in, it's time to worry.

That depends on the store. A lot of women's clothing stores, at least around here, max out at 'just below average healthy build'. :mad:

BookstoreEscapee:
I find none of those things seem to help me, but thanks for mentioning it. As for the pool, the only pools close to me would need me to use the car to get to them, and I'm not comfortable driving right now (adjusting to new meds that are supposed to help me). Walking to them would be a lot further than I'm currently comfortable walking.

Once I manage to walk my goal distance, I'll be at the pool!
(Or, I suppose, I could drive once I'm adjusted to the meds...)

Misanthropical
09-07-2007, 06:58 PM
When I was a size 7 (way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) I had a hell of a time finding a dress that fit. It seems that designers thought that all small women also had small breasts.

I have put on some weight since then and am trying to lose it, but it seems like nothing I'm doing is working. :( I walk two miles a day, watch what I eat and still nothing.

NightWolf
09-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Tried any sort of resistance training Misanth? If all else fails try using some light weights to do some toning. That might just give you a little bit more muscle, (Not talking Chyna style here) to get that fat burning kicked back in gear.

Just a thought.

Misanthropical
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks, NightWolf. I will try the light weights.

Bella_Vixen
01-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Talk about reviving a dead thread...

At work, the manager, the other assistant manager and I have all decided to lose weight. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

We are even doing weigh-ins. Booooooooo.

One of my coworkers is going to bring in her weight watchers cards for me.

I think the main thing that I need to do is start eating my main meal earlier in the day. (I tend to have a light snack before work, and eat something slightly more substantial either at work, or when I get home.)

Good thing I love boneless, skinless chicken breasts. :lol:

And I don't know about the others, but I plan on starting (again) my walking regimen.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
01-12-2008, 02:37 AM
A bit of a bonus is that an ďAnyTime FitnessĒ is building in my little town. Iíll have to check them out whenever they finally finish.

There's an Anytime Fitness in my city too. In fact one of the guys I work with helps out at his friend's signing company on the side and they did the signage for the place, inside and out.

I try to keep up with my walking regimen whenever I can or work out on an elliptical or a treadmill. I'm still hovering at around 215 pounds; I hope to get down to about 200 or so.

DarthRetard
01-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Well, since this thread is going to be a hot-button topic, I figured I'd toss my two cents in and remind everyone that if they want to ask any questions about products, product combinations, basic health stuff, etc, I do work at General Nutrition Centers and I'd be happy to help ya'll out with finding out products that'll help.

That being said, fat burners are NOT harmful. They no longer contain Ephedrine (that drug that was really effective but people abused it and it killed em*cough* baseball pitchers*cough*).

If you would like more information feel free to PM me, or I can direct you to websites and products to help. :wave:

gunsage
01-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's my status thus far. Back when I was in security, I was freaking out because not only had I gained weight (I was able to maintain 175 lbs for the longest time before I got my car), but it was about 210. I started running during patrols, doing weighted ab crunches while playing videogames, developing various workout regimens to go with it, DDRing every day...yeah. Anyway, I was just about to get under 200 lbs...then I got sick.

I lost my motivation and didn't pick it back up after I got over being sick. I didn't weigh myself for a while, then when I joined my current job, I tried to get back into it...I was 230. Again, I lost my motivation. And then we moved to the new building with the fitness center. Now, I was just about to get under 230...then the holidays hit. Yeah...I'm up to 240.

The good news is that with my new shift, diet, and diet pills I'm taking, it shouldn't be a problem. Ironically, though my weight is up, it's mostly muscle anyway. I'm doing 6:30 minutes per mile right now on elipticals and I've been hammering away at breaking my records on the treadmill programs. I'm also thinking of either joining a yoga or jazzercise program here, too.

Bella_Vixen
01-23-2008, 04:39 AM
For what it's worth, we've been doing it for 2 weeks now. I lost half a pound the first week, and somewhere between half and a full pound this last week, but that's not official yet.

I'd lose even more, if I took off my heavy fleece jacket and shoes before I hit the scale. :lol:

Binky
01-23-2008, 07:03 AM
:) I've started trying to get back in shape, been going for about 2 weeks so far. One week was mainly diet and light exercise. Now I have a treadmill, and I'm power walking for 30 min a day plus the light exercise and diet.

Started at 86kg....don't know what I am yet....will measure myself later :D :D wish me luck!!

iradney
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, my eating habits are still a little dodgy....*damn you chocolate! damn you!*
but, since I've become a trainer, I spend alot of time standing and walking around - I don't just sit and train, I give a friggin performance :) 7 hours a day of low impact exercise is starting to make a difference :)
I've also been trying to walk my dog everyday, but what with it RAINING for THREE WHOLE WEEKS...*sigh*

Seshat
01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Ironically, though my weight is up, it's mostly muscle anyway.

If you're a heavily muscled person, look for the good ways of checking body fat percentage (note: those scales that do it aren't always accurate enough). Your overall weight isn't nearly as significant as your body fat percentage: at least if you're going for health.

I have good news: only a couple of months ago, one particular dress was going to need to be let out if I was truly to be comfortable. It's a strapless, and the tight section was the upper bust measurement. (Guys: that's the measurement just beneath the arms, just above the breasts.)

Now I'm actually going to need to take it in a whole inch!

More than an inch off the upper bust measurement represents a huge fat loss! (Or a huge muscle loss, but since I can still lift and hold my best friend, and her weight hasn't significantly changed, I doubt I've lost that much muscle. ;) )

BookstoreEscapee
01-24-2008, 02:58 AM
I started out the year so good...I went to the gym 3 times in the first week, then in the second week I went for an hour on Monday. Tuesday evening I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't go, and later that night I got sick and called out sick on Wednesday (I think it was the chicken strips I had for lunch; on the up side, the last thing I want to eat now is chicken strips from the cafeteria!). I couldn't eat anything all day, and I was really dehydrated, so Thursday and Friday I was really still recovering from that. Last week I was totally just lazy. I went back today for almost an hour. I have found that if I bring a magazine on the treadmill with me I last a lot longer, because it covers up the display and I can't stare at the seconds ticking by. Only other thing to look at is CNN in Espanol with no sound. Today I walked 2.65 miles in 50 minutes, mostly around 3.5 mph. I can't wait for nice weather and longer days so I can go to the park again. Even if I wanted to walk in the cold, it's nearly dark by the time I get out of work now.

I wish there was a trainer at the gym to help me. At least show me how to use some of the machines (I use the treadmill, and I might branch out to the elliptical soon). But it's the gym at work, just a room with a bunch of machines.

protege
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Last night, I did roughly an hour of cardio...and made nearly 560 calories go *blip* :D

iradney
01-24-2008, 05:48 AM
BSE - if you go to www.sparkpeople.com, they have exercise demos on the site that might be able to help!
Here's another one

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Exercises/16-1339.asp

BookstoreEscapee
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
BSE - if you go to www.sparkpeople.com, they have exercise demos on the site that might be able to help!
Here's another one

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Exercises/16-1339.asp

Cool! Thanks Iradney...I'll check 'em out. :)

Bella_Vixen
01-25-2008, 03:15 AM
In the two weeks we've been doing it, I've lost two whole pounds! ::happy dance:: And I'm eating more, sort of...lots of yummy yummy oatmeal.

Soon, I'll get up to the exercising portion of my plans. :lol:

Kiwi
05-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Ive been reading this book called "Why French Women dont get Fat" its about the french paradox (high fat diet, very very low levels of obesity)

Ive been following the ideas she lays out, its the anti diet diet. no counting carbs, wine every day *YAY* no restricting food at all and no slogging it out at the gym. Im down a pants size (no weighing yourself either) in 2 months with no real effort on my part just restructuring my lifestyle a very little.

its very fun to eat cheese and have wine every day and feel my pants getting looser....

Bella_Vixen
05-04-2008, 04:47 AM
A group of people that my Mom works with all joined Weight Watchers, and they let me join their group, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Shangri-laschild
05-04-2008, 07:01 AM
A group of people that my Mom works with all joined Weight Watchers, and they let me join their group, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Something that helps with that (don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not) but writing points on your food containers makes it quicker and easier.

Bella_Vixen
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!! :wave:

Plaidman
05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Anyone have tips on lowering my Cholesterol? I really have no idea what it is, though the doctor did give me a five page thing, but it seems to have ruled out just about everything I do eat when I do.

I never understood how the darn thing worked! I rarely eat, and yet it's very very high it says. I get another test in three months. So far I've stop drink as much soda. But thats my bane of life. Its so hard to not drink it, and I cannot stand the taste of water at ALL.

Gothicsmurf
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I joined a gym to quit smoking but didn't do a good job. Last week was my quit date, but then we had the fires then I was broken into so that went out the window.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that my lunch-lady arms are starting to tone up and disappear and my arms are becoming more toned.

I'm not as concered with losing weight or I'd freak out. I did stop drinking soda and brought in nuts and carrots to munch on here at work instead of cookies and candy.

I'm also drinking at least a liter of water here at work and one liter at home.

Another trick I learned. Eat slowly. Put your fork down between each bite and chew. I usually eat here at my desk (which is a no-no) but I leave my food at such an angle that I have to put the fork down to go back to work.

Good luck everyone!

crazylegs
05-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Another trick I learned. Eat slowly. Put your fork down between each bite and chew.

Thats so important, if you bolt your food you don't recognise 'full' signals until its far too late, well chewed food will also be digested better.

PuckishOne
05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Anyone have tips on lowering my Cholesterol?
Cholesterol comes in 2 forms: "good" and "bad." The bad cholesterol is what ends up blocking your blood vessels over time, making it more likely you'll have some sort of bad medical happening down the road. The good cholesterol, though, works against the bad...when you hear people talk about "healthy fats" this is what they mean. A basic rule of thumb is that fat from animal sources (like meat) is worse than fat from plant sources (nuts, olive oil, avocadoes, things like that) is better - but that's not a sure thing, since some plant-based oils can ne uber-nasty.

Try eating food that's got a lot of fiber in it, like apples, whole-grain breads and oatmeal. Heck, Cheerios says it can lower your cholesterol, so maybe try that, too. ;) Cut back on fried foods and fatty meats and go for stuff that's baked or broiled instead. And if you don't already, try to get some exercise in from time to time.

If none of this works - or if your diet is already healthy - you've probably just hit the genetic lottery and inherited a tendency towards high cholesterol. In that case your doctor will probably want to keep an eye on it, and if dietary changes don't help, he'll give you some medicines that will.

Good luck. :)

Plaidman
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Try eating food that's got a lot of fiber in it, like apples, whole-grain breads and oatmeal. Heck, Cheerios says it can lower your cholesterol, so maybe try that, too. you've probably just hit the genetic lottery and inherited a tendency towards high cholesterol.

I've started that a few days ago, but I miss fatty foods already. Also, my mom has gotten a heart stint, and has the bad high cholesterol, so did my grandma, and my sister. So yeah, runs in the family. So I gotta start do the healthy thing much more, least I regret it down the road in life.

Also doing a bit more excersise then I ever did, though it leaves me winded after only a few minutes.

PuckishOne
05-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Also doing a bit more excersise then I ever did, though it leaves me winded after only a few minutes.
I have a friend who's training for the Ironman this summer, and she assures me that your cardiovascular system gets the hang of exercise first, and then your body catches up. I try to remember this when I'm not breathing hard after a brisk walk but my legs feel like Jell-O.

Just keep at it - do a little at a time if you need to, but be consistent. Drink lots of water and eat a banana or something small and nutritious before working out. One great side effect of regular exercise is that you sleep better - at least I think it's great, as sleeping is my #3 favorite thing to do. ;) :lol:

LadyMage
07-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Also reviving an old thread. I've been doing a moderate exercise regimen that I kicked into much higher gear recently.

One tip from experience, and this was brought up earlier - elliptical is better than a treadmill. I earned a back injury moving - the elliptical cushions a LOT of knee and hip impact, which in turn destresses the back. Also, while on the elliptical, going longer times at lower resistance does a lot more good than upping the resistance and going the regular route.

Also - note the heart rate. Ideally, it should not exceed 140 for burning purposes, 170 for cardiovacular workout.

I lost several inches since last posting in this thread. My eating habits adjusted very gradually with time, but are much better.

One question I have is - how much benefit is there to Feta cheese? I love a Greek salad (minus olives, way too salty) and adore Feta, but am slightly worried as far as fat/cholesterol content.

Rapscallion
07-06-2008, 07:34 AM
We've now got a social group set up for getting in shape as well. I've even joined in as of a week back.

No idea about feta, though. I sell enough of it, mind, so it can't be that bad.

Rapscallion

LadyMage
07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I keep reading about the fat/cholesterol content. I generally have a small handful of cubes (or crumbles) either as a snack or on top of a salad. And trust me when I say, NOTHING fills you up more than Feta.

However, the cholesterol content makes me leery. I used to have 220 cholesterol that I got down to 176. I can't let it go back up. Early heart attack = bad idea.

BookstoreEscapee
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
It's good to mix a little fat/protein with your veggies...some nutrients need a little fat to be absorbed properly, and the fat and protein make the whole meal last longer. So I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you're not eating a ton of it.

AdminAssistant
07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I got a Wii Fit a while back. I fell off the bandwagon a few weeks ago, but I'm determined to get back into it now. I've been gaining about 10 lbs a year for the past...7 years or so. I started in January at 201 lbs (I'm 5'4"). I did the Best Life Diet for a while and got it down to 195 lbs. Lately I've been bouncing between 190-195.

One of my biggest weaknesses is soda...I just can't give it up. I've tried to switch to diet..but then I remember how syurpy and delicious regular Dr. Pepper is and I just have to go get one. *sigh*

The WiiFit...if you're a serious exercise junkie, it would be a fun way to mix things up. If you're a total couch potato :wave: it's a non-threatening way to get active. Because right now I'm so unhappy with my body that exercising in a public place (like a gym) would be way too intimidating.

BookstoreEscapee
07-06-2008, 04:40 PM
One of my biggest weaknesses is soda...I just can't give it up. I've tried to switch to diet..but then I remember how syurpy and delicious regular Dr. Pepper is and I just have to go get one. *sigh*

I've started mixing Diet Coke with a little bit of regular root beer, or Dr. Pepper, or whatever I'm in the mood for. I fill the cup with diet, then the last inch or 2 with regular whatever. It really does taste like the regular stuff, with a lot less calories and sugar (of course, if you count calories it's hard to determine how many are actually in there, but then again, I don't count calories). Not perfect, but better than drinking a whole regular soda. I drink soda often in the morning for my caffeine fix. I try to keep it to one a day, and I'm trying to switch to tea, but some days I just really want the soda...

Gawdzillers
07-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I try to do 100 crunches every day before dinner.
I want to believe it's working, but I can't tell, our scale broke from being splashed with water all the time.

Bright_Star
07-07-2008, 02:22 AM
I eat a salad every day & I walk around a lot. I'm only 20 pounds heavier than I was when I was in high school back in the 80's.

ArcticChicken
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm getting WiiFit as soon as I have the cash. It'll be perfect for me, enough variety to keep me entertained, and I can look at it like "I'm going to play a game, now" instead of "I should go exercise, but I'd rather read this book, or play RE4."

I've been saying for years that someone needs to slap some resistance on some of those arcade games and open up a gym.

protege
07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm going to start hitting the gym again. Driving the MG the other day tired me out a bit--the steering's a bit heavier than in a modern car, meaning I'm a bit tired. Also, Grandma's been trying to 'fatten me up' again...meaning I have to get rid of my 'spare tire.'

XCashier
07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, after many months of hemming and hawwing, I'm making a serious attempt at losing weight. Stepping on the scale and seeing it read 235 kind of clinched the deal. :o

So, I've changed my diet to mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, have cut out nearly all wheat products and processed meats. So far, I've dropped ten pounds and feel a lot better physically. :)

I'd love to get down to 140, but I'd be happy just to get down below 200 again.

RetailWorkhorse
07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I wear weights on my legs while I'm at work. Currently have about 8 pounds on each leg, so it gives me a pretty good workout when I'm stocking and cashiering. Gonna have to get my bike fixed (It keeps switching gears on me) and I'll have to use that to help with my laziness.

RecoveringKinkoid
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I thought I was on this thread already, but I must be thinking of similar one.

Anyways, since I got serious about getting back into shape in February, I have succeeded in losing amost 4 inches off my waist and getting back into a size 6, my pre-pregnancy size. I'm a little tight in a 6, but I'm getting there.

Got back on the low carb straight and narrow, and have been trying to be a little better about walking a couple miles a day. Started using hand weights and my arms look a whole lot better. Thighs are still a little flabby, but not bad for my age. I'm not embarassed to show them. You can see muscle definition, so that's pretty good.

Mentioned in the other thread I'd had a little run in with my doc back in February, so the weight loss was more like a "screw you" than anything else. I said "I'll lose the weight, but I have no intention of doing it your way. You just watch me." Anyways, that's the short story.

Nothing motivates quite like being pissed off.

crazylegs
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Gonna have to get my bike fixed (It keeps switching gears on me) and I'll have to use that to help with my laziness.

That's probably your gear cable is a little too tight (If it's always going up a gear). Any bike shop will turn the screw just enough to loosen it and most probably won't charge you either.

AdminAssistant
07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm considering getting a bike once I get moved and my finances level out. I'm decently close to campus, and it'd actually probably be faster than fighting traffic and finding a parking place.

(I signed up for some of my classes today. I have a 8:15 am class. :cry:)

edible_hat
07-16-2008, 12:04 AM
From my experiences, I would consider these to be the 2 most important - and most often overlooked - pieces of diet/fitness advice. Eat less, move more. It's so simple, it's beautiful. :p

And yet, when the lifestyle parody show Life Support suggested this, they got more complaints than the time they suggested making crochet throw rugs to throw over homeless people so we don't have to look at them any more.

Their reply: "We like solving people's problems and we've got a solution to that one too: Don't watch. Simply by turning off your television you will no longer risk being offended."

On topic: My fiance and I need to get back to taekwondo... haven't been for about 4 months She got a really bad bruise on her leg (the pain stopped her walking properly), then she got sick, then I got sick, then I got sick again, then she broke her toe.

We've given up pre-processed foods, and I'm not only seeing an improvement in both our weight but also in my bank account. (the extra money's going towards our wedding, once the six bills on my computer desk have been paid)

We want to get a Wii and Wii Fit but can't afford it, so I'm thinking of getting a dance pad game for PS2 and/or Let's Pilates for the DS. Something about the video game aspect of it makes it seem more fun.

oh and we have an exercise bike, but it needs a new seat.

AdminAssistant
07-16-2008, 03:25 AM
There's an exercise mode on one (or more?) of the DDR games, but I'm not sure which ones.

I'd like to get the one for Wii, it incorporates the remote so you're moving your arms as well. My former roommate had the Mario DDR, I got pretty good at it (dancing to Nintendo music :lol:)

RetailWorkhorse
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
That's probably your gear cable is a little too tight (If it's always going up a gear). Any bike shop will turn the screw just enough to loosen it and most probably won't charge you either.

Gears go both ways, jumps up then jumps down. Even on a flat surface. I'm going to have Mum look at it for me since we don't have any bike shops (Moped/scooter/ATV/motorcycle shops, yes, bicycle shops, no).

SteeleDragon78
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Gears go both ways, jumps up then jumps down. Even on a flat surface. I'm going to have Mum look at it for me since we don't have any bike shops (Moped/scooter/ATV/motorcycle shops, yes, bicycle shops, no).
what kind of bike is it, i used to tune up bikes at academy, and which gears are jumping, it may be a small adjustment on the rear derailer if its at the edge. but if its in the middle it may need an adjustment at the shifter, either tension control or cable length.

Kiwi
07-16-2008, 05:22 PM
lately I have been using a hiphop dance video for my cardio, I dont know if many people know but I was a dancing manic for 12 years, ballet, tap, jazz, ballroom, hiphop you name it I danced it. Even highland dancing for a couple of years.
Im not fit enought go to a casual class yet but Im hoping to finish off my teaching licence (im only 1 exam away from tap and jazz and two for ballet) from being legally allowed to teach at a "proper" school
I always liked hiphop best, it was always the most fun but then so was belly dancing

RecoveringKinkoid
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I just saw this and thought I'd share it. It's a good article about snack foods.

I dont' agree with several points, namely the various comments about cholestrol and heart disease, but as for their picks for "heathy junk food", I am baffled the mainstream media got it right for once. Their picks are sound, IMHO. Check it out

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/15/genius-junk-food-6-snacks_n_112903.html

Talon
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Inspired by an old friend, I've been getting up every morning at 6:00am, except weekends. I do 45 minutes of exercise before showering and breakfast. Alternating days I go jogging in the neighborhood.

I never thought I'd have the energy to do anything before breakfast, but I was pleasantly surprised. Now the only problem is what to do when summer ends. I hope to continue this routine when classes restart, but jogging in the cold usually give me a nasty migrane.

AdminAssistant
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
lately I have been using a hiphop dance video for my cardio

Which video do you use? I'm on the lookout for one.

AdminAssistant
07-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I just saw this and thought I'd share it. It's a good article about snack foods.

Hm, good article, it makes me feel better about getting sour cream on my Burrito Bol at Chipotle!!

My big snack food is popcorn. Orville Redenbacher has 100-calorie 'snack-packs' that are really nice.

SorryIsGoodEnough
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I must say, getting in shape is really difficult for me. I was already about 40 pounds overweight when I got pregnant and ended up having an EIGHT pound baby.

Needless to say, not all of that flab disappeared.

I am now about 60 pounds overweight. I told myself that it's fine until I hit 200 pounds. I'm still not 200lbs, but still...

I work full time, go to school full time, and I have a seven month old daughter. Finding the motivation to keep moving and work out when I'm SO tired just kills me, not to mention that I eat what's convenient, not what is healthy.

Guess I just have to try harder.

LewisLegion
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I have the best motivation to keep working out.

Pain.

That is, I don't have any when I excercise. I've found over the last month that if I go to the complex gym at least three times a week, my constant pain goes away completely. If I skip time it slowly starts to come back.

I'm horribly out of shape but in the last month I've gone from fifteen minutes on the ski machine and ten pounds on the weights to 23 minutes on the machine and 25 lbs on the weights. Haven't really noticed a difference in my flabbage as of yet, but so long as it stops me hurting I'm not stopping.

And since I gave up soda and started drinking an uber-crap ton of water, I haven't even had any sore or pulled muscles yet.

edible_hat
07-18-2008, 10:25 AM
My big snack food is popcorn.

We love our hot air popcorn maker.

Kiwi
07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
I down 7 pounds in 2 weeks

Ive been burning off 350 calories a day at the gym and then usually going for a 3k walk at night or doing an hour of yoga

I have always done yoga for stress relief anyway

havent changed my eating a bit, such a good feeling

ShinyGreenApple
09-02-2008, 03:09 AM
*hauling this thread up from the depths*

A few weeks ago, I had a nasty cold and woke up one morning sounding like an angry Rottweiler when I breathed. Turned out just to be a rare but aggressive asthma attack, but nonetheless my doctor saw it necessary to do a breathing test, nebulizer, EKG, blood draw, and various other samples on me -_- He wanted blood because he was doing a glucose/sugar test, and the simple fact that he was suspecting that at all scared me just a bit, you know? I was relieved to find out that everything checked out perfectly normal, but I was still extremely unhappy with the number written down next to 'weight'. I'll go ahead and be honest, since everyone here is so great, so I have no problem now just coming out with things like this.

I'm 24. I'm 5'8". And I'm nearly 250 pounds :hairpull: :cry:

And it sounds cliche, but I didn't realize I'd let myself get that out of hand, and I was wondering 'when and how the hell did this happen?!'

I was overweight from the time I was about 10-14 and got tired of it, so I started eating less and better, and exercising. And now I'm just not sure when or why I let myself go, but it came like a slap in the face (I know, I know . . .)

I used to be a size 8 and be able to jog about a half mile in the middle of a summer day in Florida. Friday evening I got winded just walking a mile long block.

Anyways, I've been bugging myself to take better care of myself for months now, and I'm finally ready to quick fucking about and commit. I've alternated between brisk walking and speed walking for three days, and I already feel better for it; it's surprising! Today I noticed I have considerably more energy than normal, and I'm thrilled. About two weeks ago, I also started eating better. I replaced sugary cereal with oatmeal (no sugar), my morning coffee with a glass of OJ or milk, icky processed chicken with fish or lean white chicken, and made sure that lots of fresh and frozen vegetables were picked up on the weekly shopping trip.

It's a bit tricky, since I'm unemployed and unable to buy my own food. I live at home and everyone else except my Dad (who is gone most of the time since he drives a truck) thinks that the stuff I've started eating is "yucky" and would rather consume the (as I call it) already been chewed processed food, and things like Tuna Helper *gag* and canned foods.

But I'm making progress, and it makes me happy. My goal is to have gone back down to around 140 in a year or so, and I know it won't all come off at once. But gosh, I never dreamed there would come a day when I'd be needing to drop nearly a whole person! Gah!

Kiwi
02-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Well im back to it again, I have a medical checkup to pass in March/April. I dont have an exact date but Im going to go as hard as I can until then.

Im hoping to drop a pound a week so it could be anything from 4-15 pounds.
K and I have an elliptical parked in front of the TV

Ive been doing 2x 20 minute sessions on it, going as hard as I can usually burning 250 calories a time

then I do an hours "walking" on it, just going at a slow pace but moving

Im currently working out 5 days a week. Im still doing yoga everyday to keep my flexibility up.

Im working up to an hour a day in 3, 20 minute sessions so an hour of hard ..um... ellipticalising

Im also going to start running again as soon as the snow clears up enough because as wonderful as the elliptical is, its not really hard core enough for me once I get back inshape.
Im also doing 3 nights of pushups, sit ups, plank rows and hip extensions. 3 sets of 15 reps.

Im going to NZ at the end of the year and my family always go to a mineral pool park and want to wear a bikini, I need to drop at LEAST 40 lbs for that. But I have 45 weeks or so, that should be so hard!

whats everyone else up to?

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm clinically overweight yet, but getting close. Just trying to lost 12-ish pounds.

I'm taking my lunch to work instead of going Fast Food like everyone else. The troublie is mostly snacking and exercise, since I hate exercise. I'm thinking of taking up jogging after dinner.

Rapscallion
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking of taking up jogging after dinner.

Every bit of advice I've heard is that exercise on a full stomach is a bad idea. I'd let it settle down first before jogging.

Rapscallion

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Bleh, I meant after work, before dinner. :headdesk:

Kiwi
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
make sure you get very good shoes if your going to run outside

I got shin splints twice in my life, both times were caused by my own stupidity

Ive been talking to K about working towards a half triathlon, Im always good if I have a goal to work towards.
short term goal - pass medical by losing 15 lbs
medium term goal - wear bikini at christmas and not look like a beached whale
long term goal - half triathlon (hopefully I can get my fear of water undercontrol before then)
long long term goal - actual triathlon

McGoddess09
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I put on a few pounds. I've been too comfortable with the SO. Well, my gym teacher is making Tuesdays and Thursdays fitness days where we do a whole bunch of exercises with a lap of running in between each exercise. Track season is coming up and those practices are brutal and are five days a week.

I'm trying to eat tiny meals throughout the day,rather than 3 big meals. It's kinda hard with being in school because I can't just whip out food in the middle of class.

Sex is also a really great way to lose weight, if at all available. That's how I lost a bunch of weight when I was...14...lol

gunsage
02-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I got a Wii. Now my arms hurt. :cry: In any case, it's definitely proven useful so far, and that's only with Wii Sports. I want to lose about 50 lbs. I'm at 245 right now and probably was the last time I posted to. I have developed more muscle, but the scale says otherwise (farkin' BMI). I think between the Wii and resolving to start back up working out once the weather gets better should assist greatly in blasting the fat.

Cat
02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm looking to lose about 10-15 pounds and tone up a bit.....my buddies and I are hiking of Mt Washington again in May, and I really let myself go since last summit.

I've been trying to hit the gym at least 3x a week, about and hour each time, and I should throw in some Wii time when I cannot hit the gym.

Unfortunately, dinners with the fam ad going out with friends tend to take interfere with my training, hahhaa.

BookstoreEscapee
02-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Let's see, I did really well the first week of January - four days at the gym for an hour each (except 1/2 one day). Then the following week...it snowed on Monday, I hurt my back (clearing off my car on Monday? I dunno) and was in too much pain on Tuesday, Wednesday I had to meet my dad at the body shop to drop off my car to be fixed, and was still in some pain, anyway...Thursday and Friday, well...I just felt like I should still rest (still stiff but the exercise probably would have done me good). Then last week I did an hour on Monday, 1/2 hour on Tuesday, and then ended up at the animal hospital holding Pablo while he was put to sleep :cry: and the rest of the week I was sad and just didn't feel like it. Last night I got my gym bag all together and ready to go, and this morning I walked out of the apartment without it. Just totally forgot to grab it. :doh:

So. Tomorrow. We begin again. :yes:

Oh, and here's an article (http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100202144) about getting yourself motivated...which I..um..have not gotten around to reading yet. :ashamed:

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-03-2009, 12:48 AM
make sure you get very good shoes if your going to run outside

I got shin splints twice in my life, both times were caused by my own stupidity

Ive been talking to K about working towards a half triathlon, Im always good if I have a goal to work towards.
short term goal - pass medical by losing 15 lbs
medium term goal - wear bikini at christmas and not look like a beached whale
long term goal - half triathlon (hopefully I can get my fear of water undercontrol before then)
long long term goal - actual triathlon

Why would you want to wear a swimsuit during winter?

And I'm open to recommendations on shoes. I just ran for a few minutes (like, 5 with running and walking a little). I'm EXHAUSTED! So out of shape. >< Might've been better just to walk for 10 minutes.

Kiwi
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Why would you want to wear a swimsuit during winter?
And I'm open to recommendations on shoes.

Because Christmas doesn't automatically mean winter everywhere in the world :rolleyes::o I'm from NZ, (even though I live in Canada) which is in the southern hemisphere and I'm going back there for Christmas this year.

I use asics for running and saucony for everything else. Dont worry about feeling out of shape, you'll be surprised how fast you improve!

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks. I'll check those out.

Yeah, I think I'll take a walk during my break at work, since I dont smoke, and run before dinner.

I actually had more of an appitite, though I didn't eat a lot since I figured it was from the running. I feel pretty good, though. Had a rough day at work, but I feel better.

And now is shower time. ^^

Reyneth
02-03-2009, 02:54 AM
I need to lose 40 pounds, would like to lose 50 (high school graduation weight). Several years of depression + comfort eating plus less activity at my job has really added up. I lost this weight once about 10 years ago, I can do it again! My mom wants to go to the beach again this summer, and I want to like myself in those photos. :o

Last week, I went to this little gym in the basement of one of my company's buildings (I've been before here and there) twice, working out about 30-45 min each time. Tonight, I did 40 min on the elliptical and 20 on the treadmill (fast walking, my knee isn't up to running at this point). I'm so proud of myself! :D I'm going to go twice more this week, too (Tues and Fri are out b/c of 2nd job and going out w/friends).

I'm being more aware of what I eat and how much I eat. Unfortunately, my downfall is pop - a lot for the caffeine, some for the sugary flavor. I can't stand diet in any incarnation. So I'm doing my best to limit my intake. We'll see how it works! I haven't lost any in the first week, but that's just details at this point. We'll see about next week. :rolleyes:

ArcticChicken
02-03-2009, 04:58 AM
I got a Wii Fit today, and already I can tell it's going to be more successful than any other exercise method I've tried. I did 34 minutes, and I had a lot of fun, which I never have when I'm exercising.

Kiwi
02-03-2009, 05:03 AM
thats GREAT to hear AChicken!

im putting a big chart of my measurements up in the kitchen so I can look at them before I grab a snack

I have to be careful that I dont weigh myself to much, when I was a teenager I would simply stop eating until the numbers went down enough for my liking. Right now K is weighing me once a week and I hop on the scale backwards he gives me a thumbs up or thumbs down and thats what I gage my progress off.

SorryIsGoodEnough
02-03-2009, 05:08 AM
My mom added me to her gym membership today.

She lost 60 pounds two years ago by going to the gym on a very rigorous schedule and she maintained by keeping her healthy habits.

So that's what we're gonna do.

I'm ready to be comfortable with myself again.

ArcticChicken
02-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I have to be careful that I dont weigh myself to much,

My mom has trouble when she weighs herself too frequently, and she's recently stopped weighing herself altogether. She said that's helped a lot.

Right now I'm just working on getting this 'exercise' thing together. When I've got a routine worked out I'll start working on my diet. Every time I've tried to do it all at once I've wound up crashing and burning, so we'll see how this goes.

My current weight loss goal is just over 22 pounds. If that doesn't work I'll scale it back a bit, but it's hard for me to set small goals when I have such a long way to go. I need to loose more than 100 pounds according to my BMI.

Kiwi
02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Just finished my second 40 minute workout in 2 days

Im doing 4, ten minute slots on the elliptical going as HARD as I can, when I hop off Im just about dead.

last night I also did 30 sit ups, 30 press up (against the wall ones), 10 plies and 30 plank rows

Ive cut my junk food down to two meals a week.
During lost I can have some potato chips and a fun sized mars bar.
I freeze the mars bar because they are SOOOO good when ice cold!

the other junk food time is a meal out a week, some times breakfast or maybe maccas for dinner. That way I have something to look forward to every few days.

ArcticChicken
02-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Did another half hour on the Wii Fit today. I am having way too much fun with the hula-hoop game.

Then we got some great snow and I went sledding for about an hour. I'm gonna have a nasty bruise on my upper thigh because the sled caught some air and I came down hard on the raised lip, but it was so worth it.

BookstoreEscapee
02-04-2009, 01:13 AM
So. Tomorrow. We begin again. :yes:

Or tomorrow...it snowed all day and the roads were not fun. I didn't want to risk staying any later at work than necessary. (Left my gym bag under my desk though so it's all ready to go.)

I did have to go out into the warehouse this afternoon and I took a long way back to the office which included walking up 3 flights of stairs, across the upper floor, down 3 flights on the other end, and then up another flight to the office. I also did a couple strength exercises when I got home. Not much but I guess it's better than nothing. Right?

OK, I've never shared how much I actually weigh (and I still won't) but I will say ultimately I would like to lose about 40 pounds. I was always a small kid, never had a weight problem, and I don't weigh myself very often, so it was a little surprising to see how much I've actually gained. Plus when I saw pictures from my cousin's wedding last month I was a bit shocked. So. I need to get going.

I have gotten myself a few toys. I got a resistance band (http://www.gaiam.com/product/fitness-center/fitness-instructors/tanja++djelevic/covered+resistance+cord+kit.do?search=basic&keyword=resistance+cord&sortby=bestSellers&page=1) (got at BN with my extra discount at Christmas), a wobble board (http://www.target.com/Wobble-and-Balance-Board-Black/dp/B000CNGN0Q/sr=1-1/qid=1233713129/ref=sr_1_1/177-8791050-4267502?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Awobble%20board&page=1) (with one of my gift cards at Target), and the Pushup Pro (http://www.tvproducts4less.com/push-up-pro.html?c=1&kw=pushup%20pro) (bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond). Except when I tried to do pushups, even on my knees, my arms felt really weak. So I'll have to work on that. I also have a step that can work as a makeshift weight bench for some exercises. I do the treadmill at the gym, but when it gets warm enough (and stays light later) I'll go to the park again.

Oh, and HorrorFrog, look for a specialty running store in your area; they are usually staffed with people who know their stuff and can help you find the right shoe for your foot. If you don't have one nearby, Runner's World (http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html) has a running shoe finder on their website, plus tons of other info.

gunsage
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I've been thinking about doing Wii Fit. How involved is it? Do I need a lot of space? I have a small ass living room, so up until recently I did the DDR emulator on my computer, had a bench in the baby's room (which stopped after she was born obviously), etc., and just using the workout center at work. Still, if I could use Wii Fit before I went to work, I could get some good cardio and stretches in before large workouts at work.

BookstoreEscapee
02-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Who's up for a Challenge?

OK, so I did 62 minutes on the treadmill after work today. Woohoo!

I have also decided to start posting my progress in my user profile.

Now for the challenge. I have a subscription to Self (http://self.com) magazine. Every year, starting in March, they do a program called the Self Challenge. It's a three month program that includes workouts (cardio, strength and flexibility routines) and an eating plan. Each month has a new set of workouts, a different focus on food, and tools to track your progress. They also give out prizes and stuff. I signed up for it once or twice a while back but I never followed through. I was reading the February issue today which has an article on getting ready for the Challenge.

You can start it as early as February 9th...So who's with me? When they put it on the website I'll post the link in the Get In Shape (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=4) social group, if anyone's interested.

Kiwi
02-05-2009, 01:24 AM
third workout day in a row today, Im averaging just over 450 calories everyday over 40 minutes

Im also doing 30 sit ups, 30 press ups (still against the wall) 60 pank rows and 20 piles now - up from the other day three times a week

I want to yet up to an hour cardio and the push ups routine every single day.

Reyneth
02-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Blech. I missed tonight's workout. I was a little sore from Monday but the issue was the amount of snow NE Ohio has been pounded with in the past 24 hours. Driving into work this morning was miserable and when I heard that the roads tonight were also horrible, I decided it was better to go home. Only took me about 25% longer to get home than normal but better safe than sorry.

Provided tomorrow is ok, I'll just have to settle w/going twice this week. I am watching what I eat very closely though. I'm hungry! :(

Kiwi
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Just finished 4th day in a row, I got up earlier today and had the 4 ten minute sessions, a shower, breakfast and coffee made by 11am....

now I have nothing to do!

Kiwi
02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
phew I finally made the 5 workout day in a row

Ive been trying for that since November!!!!

Kiwi
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I upped my workout to 50 minutes today

next week im going to try for 60 minutes, then hold on that for 6 months

Im down EIGHT of the 40 pounds I want to loose!!!!

Cat
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Ugh I was terrible about the gym last week (only went once) but at least I did walk all around Keene on Saturday and did a 3hr hike on Sunday (up a small "mountain" and in the snow...it was so fun!!!!)

I *will* be ready for Mt Washington in May, I *will* eat healthier ( so hard...curse u vending machine!)

Jester
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I haven't really paid much attention to this thread, even though I've been meaning to get back in shape for a while now.

Notice that phrase. "Been meaning to." As in "hasn't lifted a bloody finger to do it." Remember, I am the Patron Saint of Procrastination.

A little history: I am not a large person. Never have been, in any direction. (We are not talking about personality or mouth, mind you, just physically.) I stand an unimposing (to non-midgets) 5'8" tall. For most of my adult life, I tipped the scales at 130 pounds. Actually, I was within a few pounds of that weight from age 16 to 32. I was thin, yes, but somewhat athletically built from the waist down (see below for why). When I hit 32, I started expanding my horizons...specifically my waist. It wasn't anything horrible...I now weigh about 160. I don't look as skinny as I used to, but then, it's really not all in the right places...unless my waist qualifies as all the right places. The reason this is cause for concern is my father.

Now, there are many ways I aspire to be like my father. Physically is not one of them. Because, while he also was not a tall man, the last few years of his life, he was a rather thick man. Specifically, he had one hell of a belly. He wasn't fat...he just had a huge belly. You've seen the type. The walking pears. He wasn't always that way....he only started to thicken when he was about 41 or so.

I'm 38. And over the last few years, a belly has begun. Nothing huge, nothing drastic, nothing you would really even notice. But *I* notice it, and more importantly, I remember precisely what my father looked like near the end of his life. (He died at 48.) I am NOT going to look like that. True, I have a very physically active job (bartender/waiter) while he had a mostly sedentary job (advertising/sales), and this kind of stuff is not always genetic...but I am NOT taking chances with this shit.

Now, since the day I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, in one way or another, I have almost always had a bike in my life. At one point in college, I had four. I took in stray bikes the way some people take in stray pets or people. "You're moving back to Oregon and you don't need your bike? You only want how much for it? No problem!" Eventually my love of bikes brought me to the love of my life, Amanda (http://velospace.org/files/3d1d5a8a.jpg). I have commented on Amanda in other posts in the past. Amanda is a Softride Norwester, and simply the greatest bike I have ever ridden. Ever. (That picture is not Amanda herself, merely a Norwester....Amanda has just black tape on the handle bars, and has red lettering. I believe the one in the picture does as well, but everyone tells me it looks pink.) And yes, I named my bike. So?

But over the last few years, I didn't ride as much. Hell, I didn't even get on my bike once for the last year and a half, until a few days ago. Which, when you have a bike like Amanda, is bordering on criminal. But now I am riding again. Finally. I have not ridden more than 15 miles at a stretch so far, but I realize I am shaking off a lot of rust and my body is not used to this abuse. It feels almost the same as when I first started track in high school. Of course, I was 15 back then, but still. It hurts, I know it will hurt, I know eventually it won't hurt as bad, but it PISSES ME OFF that I am so slow and out of (bicycle) shape. My body is not responding the way it should. Sure, part of it could be age, but most of it, I am convinced, is just lack of cycling.

I rode a few days here, a day there, and not so much the rest. But I have ridden the last three days, 10-15 miles each day, and I am determined to ride further faster as the days go by.

In my favor, I live just off a major street in Key West that, in connection with the main beach road, forms a giant "D" that happens to be a perfect 5 mile loop. (I clocked it in my truck one day.) And each day I go out, I go clockwise or counterclockwise, alternating each day, and each direction has its ups and downs.

One thing I really hate when riding is wind. Key West has a lot of wind.
I really hate headwinds. When you are riding in a loop, half the time you are going to get headwind.
Good. Works me that much harder.
The wind is especially bad on the beach road, where there is nothing to block it. FUN!

Well, that is my getting back in shape post. I didn't really post about my diet because, frankly, my diet is in pretty good shape. I don't put much junk in my body in general, and love fish, chicken, fruits, and veggies. Hell, I could name in one breath the fruits and veggies I DON'T like. So, other than beer and the occasional soda, there is very little junk in my daily diet. And I am not looking to lose a certain number in pounds, merely get into better shape than I am in (yes, round is a shape, but not the one I am gunning for) and better cycling shape. Hell, I would look great at my current weight if it were distributed better! (It's not the amount of weight, it's what kind of weight it is, and where it is.)

Any support or suggestions of any cyclists out there would be most appreciated and most welcome, by the way. Even from Cannondale riders. :lol:

Jester
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Shit. Even when I'm "getting back in shape" I type a fucking novel. I wonder how many calories I burn just from entering my marathon posts in this site? :lol:

BookstoreEscapee
02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Self Challenge alert:

OK, I don't know if it was a typo in the magazine or if I just read it wrong, but apparently the Self Challenge sign-up doesn't start until the 19th. They do, however, have a Challenge Countdown (http://www.self.com/tips/countdown/services/about) with a tip for each day to get ready for the Challenge. So.

Oh, and if you're not familiar with the magazine, it is a women's health/fitness magazine, so obviously it is aimed at us girls. I don't see any reason they guys can't get in on the action, too, though. And you can still get the workouts (either from the website or by picking up the magazine - March, April and May issues) and follow along even if you don't want to officially sign up. Of course, then you won't be eligible for the fabulous prizes. :D

iradney
02-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Woohoo!! I did 2 sets of 12 reps on 55 pounds yesterday!! (Benchpressing)
*flex flex*

Jester
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, I knew that the big test for me would be Tuesdays-Fridays. On these days, I head in to work at 10, and since I am not going to ride after dark (which is what it would be after I get off work), I need to wake up early to ride. I figure I have to wake up at 7 to get a good ride in.

Well, today I got an EPIC FAIL in that endeavor. I did wake up at 7, but then apparently fell right back to sleep, waking up about an hour later. And that just didn't leave me enough time to get a ride in, get home, showered, changed, and to work.

So, 3 days in a row I got a ride in. Today: FAIL! :pissed:

Cat
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Well, I did an hour on the treamill.....at at 15% incline (wouldnt go higher)

The only prob, Im so bored at work I snack.....gotta stop that

BookstoreEscapee
02-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Yesterday I did an hour on the treadmill, and today I did 70 minutes. Fastest I go is about 3.5 mph.

Cat
02-11-2009, 01:34 AM
I got up to 3.5 at one time....I think I'll try to do 1.5 hours tomorrow (have to be sure I have good vid on my ipod, lol)

BookstoreEscapee
02-11-2009, 01:35 AM
I got up to 3.5 at one time....I think I'll try to do 1.5 hours tomorrow (have to be sure I have good vid on my ipod, lol)

I read magazines while I walk. :D

I also listen to my iPod and watch CNN in Espanol with no sound.

Kiwi
02-11-2009, 04:57 AM
another day, another workout accomplished

I am awesomeness incarnate

iradney
02-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Yes, Kiwi, you are :)
Now, I need to steal some of your motivation, if that's ok. Getting up at 4:30 am for gym is a great idea, but dammit, I haven't been doing it for a week :(

Jester
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I woke up at 4:30 this morning.

NOT, however, by design. I passed out around 11ish last night watching tv, and popped awake at 4:30. Ugh. And I have a long shift today at The Bar.

The good thing about this, though, is that I WILL be going out on the bike today. The sun just popped up, so will be heading out shortly.

Yay me. *yawn*

Jester
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from my first morning ride, and my fourth ride in the last five days.

Three days ago, when I did 15 miles, it took m3e 65 minutes, with 5 mile loop times of 21, 22, and 22 minutes.

Today I did 15 miles in 57 minutes, with times of 18, 20, and 22. And felt much better doing it.

I still have a lot of work to do, but FUCK YEAH!

I think my legs are finally starting to remember how to work again! :super:

Kiwi
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Well done Jester and buck up Iradney, I dont know many people who would even contemplate getting up that early to workout!

Maybe start one day a week and force yourself up taht day... then every couple of weeks increase taht to 2 weeks.

oh and by the way

another workout down today... weigh in and measurements day is on sunday but my stretch workout pants were literally falling off my arse today, they are getting so loose. Time for new workout clothes!

Cat
02-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Congrats in everyone's work out! (who's in pain yet? LOL)

I made myself do 1.5 hours today...feel good now....wil hurt tomorrow.

Jester
02-12-2009, 04:07 AM
who's in pain yet?

:wave:

Yeah. I knew the pain would come. I just wasn't expecting it so soon.

I was fine after the ride. Even once I got to work. But the more I went up the stairs, the more it hurt, and the stiffer I got (more due to time than the stairs themselves, mind you). It didn't help that I had to haul cases of beer up said stairs.

Luckily, though, there were not too many cases of beer, AND I was working downstairs, so my trips up the stairs were limited.

Just very, very.....stiff. And not in the good pervy way, either. :lol:

iradney
02-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Woohoo! I did it! I went to gym this morning!!! *feels virtuous*

Jester
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
DAMN it!

I knew things were going too well with my riding.

So today I got out there bright and early. Did my first five mile loop in a nice 18 minutes. Was looking forward to challenging yesterday's 15 mile time of 57 minutes. Felt good, felt strong, felt great.

Then it happened. At about the 6th mile, my left quad started cramping up. After about a half mile more, I knew it would be bad to keep pushing it, so I shut it down and slowly rode home.

*sigh* I guess I knew there were going to be hiccups along the way as my body adjusted to this new regimen, but I had kind of hoped it would just be soreness and stiffness like yesterday. And I might have even kept pushing it today except for two things: I have to work today, and I have never pulled or torn anything, and I was not about to start today.

Tomorrow I try it again.

Kiwi
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Well done Iradney!
Better and longer high than any chocolate bar will give you

I just finished up yet another day of excersise, another 550 calories burned off!

My clothes are starting to fit more loosely which is always a good thing! I even woke up with a little start of a line down my tummy!

It was lost night last night which meant it was my junkfood meal of the week, I had 1/4 bag of ms vickies sourcream and sweet chilli chips, a fun sized mars bar and a three pack of ferro roche (or whoever you spell them) yum!

now its back to the straight an narrow again!

Jester
02-13-2009, 12:45 AM
It was lost night last night which meant it was my junkfood meal of the week, I had 1/4 bag of ms vickies sourcream and sweet chilli chips, a fun sized mars bar and a three pack of ferro roche (or whoever you spell them) yum!

I am by no means a health food nut.

However, you DO realize that that kind of night can destroy a whole hell of a lot of work you do the rest of the week?

As I said, I am NOT a health food nut. I am a devoted beer drinker and do have a half gallon of ridiculously busy ice cream in my fridge. And I enjoy the occasional treat from time to time.

But to make a meal, every week, out of pure junk? I just can't see it being productive, to be honest.

Now, I am not trying to be preachy or judgmental. I am just trying to point out what such a weekly ritual can do to all your hard work. If you are good with that....far freakin' out! Go nuts, woman.

Now, where the hell is my next beer........

BookstoreEscapee
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I've been to the gym the last 3 days, for an hour or a little more each time.

I took today off because I've had a cold all week, and yesterday my cough started to move down into my chest so I thought I shouldn't push it.

iradney
02-13-2009, 04:47 AM
I am by no means a health food nut.

However, you DO realize that that kind of night can destroy a whole hell of a lot of work you do the rest of the week?

As I said, I am NOT a health food nut. I am a devoted beer drinker and do have a half gallon of ridiculously busy ice cream in my fridge. And I enjoy the occasional treat from time to time.

But to make a meal, every week, out of pure junk? I just can't see it being productive, to be honest.

Now, I am not trying to be preachy or judgmental. I am just trying to point out what such a weekly ritual can do to all your hard work. If you are good with that....far freakin' out! Go nuts, woman.

Now, where the hell is my next beer........

It is, however, a helluva lot better than deny deny deny, having a bad day and then going on a week long binge. Which happens more often than not.
In fact, most nutritionists reccomend that you don't say "I cannot have that food", but that you rather say "I don't want it right now, I'll have it on my Treat Night". The whole allure of the forbidden thing.

Also, if you look at it this way - let's say Kiwi is eating 5 small meals a day. That's 35 meals a week. Having ONE Treat Meal counts for 3 % of her meals that week. So she's watching what she eats 97% of the time, and throws all caution to the wind for the other 3%. Which is actually pretty damn good.

Kiwi
02-13-2009, 05:24 AM
when I say I have a treat meal, I dont mean I binge on everything in the world

I usually buy a big bag of chips once a month and divide them into a 4 bags (300-400 cals as the whole bags 1200 cals) then I have a fun sized choco bar (about 60 cals) and maybe something else... but thats usually it.
Ive never been a big junk food person, I have however been a HUGE fast food person and thats why im now huge. I went cold turkey on fast food outlets (I will however make my own versions at home, hamburgers/ fries/ milkshakes) but healthy versions that still satisfy my craving.

the junk food is a pat on the back for a job well done, its limited to 600 cals at the most so its not going to blow a weeks work. But I want to thank you for pointing that out, I understand it comes from a good place Jester. Dont worry though, Im a smart girl and a lazy one to! Im not about to go huffing and puffing to get nowhere!

Awesome job Bookstore!
Keep it up guys and gals, hard work now will pay off in the hotter weather!

iradney
02-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Hmmmm fun sized chocolate bars - making it easy to satisfy that chocolate craving without blowing your calorie budget!!!

Kiwi
02-13-2009, 05:48 AM
oh yes and I freeze them

anyone who has ever had a frozen mars bar where the caramel slowly melts over your tounge.... can never had an unfrozen one again

SOOOOOOOOOOO good

Kiwi
02-13-2009, 11:08 PM
We had a meeting with the bank this morning so I havent worked out today, I usually dont work out on the weekends but in an effort to get into that bikini Im going to bust my butt tomorrow!!!

I promise if I get into a bikini, I will post pictures:jawdrop:

I hope they wont blind you all!

Kiwi
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Just finished my workout for today 531 calories done. I moved fridays workout to Sunday so its the second day in a row.

K surprised me for Valentines, we had talked about jsut getting a card (then I totally forgot lame me!) but he got me wine and chocolates and took me out for an italian dinner!

of course weigh in was the next morning so the scale wasnt so nice, but I was still hungover had just downed a litre of water so I was grateful the scale said I only put on a 1/2 lb. I found the last two workouts VERY tough. Because of a health problem I digest alcohol much slower than other people, if Im honest Im not supposed to have it at all!
Now I have never been a sweaty person, even when I was dancing 40 hours a week on top of school and working for 4-5 hours a night at various dance class then all weekend I barely ever broke a sweat (I run cold, again because of the health issue) and the last two workouts I had sweat POURING off me, my forehead was so covered I had stuff running down my face and had sweatmarks under my arms. Ive literally never had that happen and its not that im to lazy to break a sweat. My dancing teachers worked me to exhaustion and I still didnt sweat.

Even today I had a wet forhead and did less calories than usual! Yesterday I had to stop after 40 minutes!
K's birthday is this weekend and we are going away so I will drink then, but after that, not a sip of alcohol will pass my lips until my Birthday in September. Its just to hard to workout the day after!

Jester
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
On the sweat in the face issue, whenever I ride, whether or not I wear a helmet, I always wear a bandana. I wear mine as a "do rag," but whether you do that or the headband method, it will keep a lot of the sweat out of your eyes.

On my bicycling front, yesterday, with the entire day off and intentions of doing much mileage, I sat around the house for way too long and then, when I finally got out, only had time to do about 20 miles before it would start getting too dark to ride safely. I was happy with my time, though--20 miles in 1 hour, 15 minutes. Not great, but not shabby, either.

Today, I putzed around again way too long, and then got out only to do a lousy 5 miles (19 minutes). I just wasn't feeling it.

On my weight issue, I don't own a scale, and have no intentions of buying one. My issue is not weight per se, though I want to attack my slight beer belly...it's where and what the weight is. I would be very happy at my current weight (approximately 160 lbs.) if the belly weren't there and the weight were muscle elsewhere, to be quite honest. So the scale is neither my friend nor my enemy...in my case, it is inconsequential.

So it's just a matter of biking every day or almost every day, and returning to my good shape and legs o' steel. :D

Jester
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
By the way, it's been more and more appropriate lately, but I have not seen it, so much appreciation and virtual beers to anyone who can find me a bicycling smiley!

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-17-2009, 01:13 AM
It's been raining for, like, a WEEK! *exaggeration* But G-ma has gotten me a day pass to her gym, so I'm gonna head over there tonight and try some light weight training. Something I can't do at home.

If I like it, I may stick to that.

Rapscallion
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I've not dared to get on the scales after this last week over the pond. Gatekeeper and Ree will attest to my ability to eat more than I really should, especially when the waitress returned to the table at the Ihop and asked if the meal was fine. I made a fairly exaggerated show of looking on the empty plate and giving her a thumbs up :D

I may post about this in the next day or two, if I don't see anything too nasty.

Rapscallion

Reyneth
02-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Due to a bad reaction to a new medicine (it's bad when my Doctor says she wouldn't have put up with the side effects I was having for as long as I did!) I only went to the gym once the last two weeks.

However, I am now starting work an hour earlier than I had been so I can meet a friend at the gym after work. Of course today she couldn't be there but it was nice to get home only slightly later than normal after a 1 hour workout. :D We've also joined a "Biggest Loser" pool so there's more motivation.

And I admit, I really haven't been working out like I wanted. But I've been more careful about what I've been eating - or more precisely, the quantities. I've only lost about a pound. :( I was hoping for a little more than that - but it gives me that much more I can lose to win some money!

Can't go tomorrow b/c my 2nd job, but we're going Weds and Thurs.

BookstoreEscapee
02-17-2009, 02:12 AM
By the way, it's been more and more appropriate lately, but I have not seen it, so much appreciation and virtual beers to anyone who can find me a bicycling smiley!

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1569.gif (http://www.buddy-icons.info/aim-smiles/Bicycle_Smiley_2.html#)

HorrorFrogPrincess
02-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Welp, I'm back. And may I say "UUUUGH!" I sweet-talked them into having one of the trainers show me around, and I really liked the guy. I tried some of the machines that use air-pressure instead of weights, the pull up helper thingum, and some creature that resembles a mini escalator going the wrong way.

He wanted me to go 20 minutes on that thing. I made it to 7.

But I did sign up. It's pretty light, but should help build up those muscles I've never had. Cardio is still going to be the toughest, since it's always a lot of work. Doesn't take much to get my heart pounding and me exhausted.

But at least I get a towel.