PDA

View Full Version : Just Enough To Leave You Scratching Your Head

BrenDAnn
06-08-2010, 04:54 AM
I had to explain to a customer what a cake donut is tonight. Yep, that's right. I had to take him over to our donut case and show him the cake donuts in there. Our most common donut, the one we mix up oursevles, drop in oil and cook, is our cake donut. There was an entire tray there. He pointed to come cinnamon buns and ring donuts in the case and asked if those were cake donuts. No. Sorry. I walked away shaking my head and wondering WTF. Seriously.

Cazzi
06-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Actually I was going to ask what a cake donut was.... then I googled :) First time I've heard the phrase ;)

Darkforge
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Never heard the phrase myself, the only types of doughnuts we get over here in England are ring or jam filled

still I assume that your cabinet is clearly labelled so I can see the suck

tollbaby
06-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Never heard of a cake donut either...

r2cagle
06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Cake donuts rise from being cooked in the oil. If I remember my food history right, I believe they were introduced in America by Dutch settlers.

Yeast donuts are allowed to rise (or rest) 'before' being cooked in oil. This is the type of donut most people are familiar with.

*edit* Both types rise while cooked in oil, but the textures are different due to amount of flour and other ingredients, one is a batter, the other is a dough.

Cake donuts have a batter consistency similar to cake batter both before and after they are cooked. They also allow for add ins, like berries and nuts in the batter, whereas yeast donuts do not and must be topped or filled with such things after being cooked. Cake donuts are 'almost like' muffins or cupcakes being cooked in oil instead of the oven.

Both cake and yeast donuts are yummy in my opinion.

BrenDAnn
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow, um, brain burp on my part, maybe? See, our cake donuts are the main thing we make. Just...donuts. Ours look kind of like this http://essracing.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cake-donut.gif Yummeh. Cagle, thank you for the eloquent explanation. What made the customer brain-burpy was the fact that, again, these are the main donuts we serve, and everyone who knows our stores KNOWS that!

r2cagle
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Eh... no problem... I grew up in Pennsylvania, right across the border from New York... the land of Amish, Danish, and German settlers. I know my doughnuts. :p Eh... take that back... I edited prior post.

But I still go for the funnel cakes - everytime.

Pony_Boy
06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I've never heard of the term cake donut either

scruff
06-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Never heard the phrase myself, the only types of doughnuts we get over here in England are ring or jam filled

Hey, there's more than that around in England. The local Sainsbury's to my office (central London) does custard filled (as I only found out today, due to a co-workers birthday).
:D

Ironclad Alibi
06-09-2010, 03:08 AM
For a different sort of donut treat, get a package is dairy case rolls (not biscuits). Poke a hole in the middle of each roll, then deep fry to a golden brown (be sure to flip them over part way through). Drain then sprinkle with powdered sugar. The result is something like a cake donut. My mother used to fix them all the time when I was a kid since they were much cheaper, and quicker to make, than regular donuts.

Sleepwalker
06-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I used to tell customers that the yeast rings were the fluffy donuts, and the cake rings were the chewy ones.

Worked most of the time.

Andara Bledin
06-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Actually I was going to ask what a cake donut was.... then I googled :) First time I've heard the phrase ;)
Most people don't use the cake part because your standard doughnut will be a cake doughnut. As opposed to a raised (the yeasty ones, and the ones that get filled), old fashioned, or buttermilk.

I want to know what people consider to be a "ring" doughnut, though. The 'net doesn't seem to have a consensus on that one.

My mom used to make buttermilk doughnuts once in a while. Sooooo tasty.

^-.-^

Cazzi
06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I want to know what people consider to be a "ring" doughnut, though. The 'net doesn't seem to have a consensus on that one.
^-.-^

Ah that's easy.. one with a hole in the middle :D

Cookie
06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Most people don't use the cake part because your standard doughnut will be a cake doughnut. As opposed to a raised (the yeasty ones, and the ones that get filled), old fashioned, or buttermilk.

Not around here. Yeast donuts are the norm. You need to specify if it's not going to be the fluffy yeast donut or people will think you'll pulling one over on them.

I love yeast donuts, particularly when they're still warm, but not a hugs fan of cake donuts. Probably because when I think of a donut, that's not the texture I want, so it's disappointing.

Pony_Boy
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
this thread makes me very hungry .....;)

Ironclad Alibi
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I can remember as a kid back in the 1950s visiting the local dime store (McCrory's I think) where they had a donut making machine on the lunch counter. It was similar to, but smaller than and encased in glass, to the one in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7akVEKeR9k). I loved to watch it make the donuts, and then get a nice fresh, warm donut to eat.

Pagan
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Cake donuts rise from being cooked in the oil. If I remember my food history right, I believe they were introduced in America by Dutch settlers.

Yeast donuts are allowed to rise (or rest) 'before' being cooked in oil. This is the type of donut most people are familiar with.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey, there's more than that around in England. The local Sainsbury's to my office (central London) does custard filled (as I only found out today, due to a co-workers birthday).
:D

Hmmmm. Apparently New Mexico isn't as backward as usually thought. Not only have I always seen yeast donuts, I've always seen cake donuts and filled donuts (custard and jelly). And, mmmmmm, the apple fritters from Bosa Donuts in Las Cruces. And sopapillas from just about anywhere.

You know, come to think of it, fried dough of any kind is good, m'kay? :p

EricKei
06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Most people don't use the cake part because your standard doughnut will be a cake doughnutI've never actually been anywhere where "cake"style is the norm o_0>...and that's exactly why I knew the difference. Donut shops here carry 95% yeast-types, and refer to the others explicitly as "cake donuts". (Which means they have tons of donut holes/buttermilk drops to sell, too, nmmmmmmmrrghmmmy)

We basically have 3 basic kinds:

- standard (yeast)
- cake (duh)
- beginets (which are normally sold only in shops where that's the only "type" avaialable...ergo, people call them 'donuts' in said coffeshops...)

Can I Help Your A$$?
06-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe it's a Yeast Coast thing. :eek:

Don't forget the other kind: OLD FASHIONEDS!!! Are those even either? I imagine they're cake doughnuts.