PDA

View Full Version : "Loving" the Bad Economy...

computeraide
12-03-2010, 08:26 PM
...but only for one specific reason. The bosses think there won't be enough money to have a Christmas party for the faculty/staff of our school this year. Which is music to my ears! Is there anyone else who has never gotten to actually ENJOY holiday parties where they work because they're expected to serve the food and drinks and clean up the mess? I really hope they don't manage to pull something out of their butts for a party this year so I don't have to spend several hours pretending to enjoy serving punch and cleaning up the crumbs and washing all the damn dishes.

csquared
12-04-2010, 12:35 AM
During the IT boom, one of my former employers held Black-tie Christmas parties. Roast beef, fresh shrimp and a full bar.

My current employer is having a pot luck. I'll pass.

jedimaster91
12-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Mr Jedi and I are skipping his company party this year. There's only so many company functions we can put up with being the only sober ones when there's nothing to do but drink. Lousy finger foods and all the booze we're not going to drink do not make for a fun time.

Peppergirl
12-04-2010, 01:03 AM
At my age, I'm glad they're a thing of the past.

Although I will admit a certain nostalgic wistfulness when I look back at the early-90s "open bar, drink till you drop, make out with someone inappropriate" Christmas parties. :ashamed::lol:

FArchivist
12-04-2010, 05:17 AM
At my age, I'm glad they're a thing of the past.

Although I will admit a certain nostalgic wistfulness when I look back at the early-90s "open bar, drink till you drop, make out with someone inappropriate" Christmas parties. :ashamed::lol:

Mmmm, Earthlink keg parties. You're off the phone for these 2 hours, try not to get so wasted you can't return back to work.

Kiwi
12-04-2010, 05:44 AM
During the IT boom, one of my former employers held Black-tie Christmas parties. Roast beef, fresh shrimp and a full bar.

My employer held a party like this last weekend.
Just after 3 months of lay offs where people were terrified when the HR manager walked towards them.

classy

SuperDan
12-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I am not aware of any specific holiday party as of yet. Last year we did one with just our department, completely off-site and outside of normal operating hours. I liked it better than the eat-on-the-fly parties at the old job. Very few people showed up though. Still, was nice to drink on the company dime.

For the last few years, the entire time period of Dec 23-Jan 3 has been free meals in the employee dining room. I'm all for anything free. Not quite a party though.

As for the holiday itself, we have a Vietnamese concert on Christmas Eve and a Chinese concert on Christmas Day. *complete lack of excitement*

jedikuonji
12-04-2010, 02:38 PM
One of the few things I miss from my last job is the holiday dinners. The GM would get staff from hotels in the next city to come staff for us so everyone could go out (then we'd do the same for them). Usually had the dinner at a steak house and we could order appetizer, dinner, and desert all on the company dollar.

telecom_goddess
12-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Mmmm, Earthlink keg parties. You're off the phone for these 2 hours, try not to get so wasted you can't return back to work.

Earthlink had keg parties? when was this? I worked for them for about 10 minutes once when they took over our local isp and shut our doors.

MaseMan
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I co-own a small company. We don't do Christmas parties due to having multiple locations (would be tough to coordinate). We give out Christmas bonuses instead. I assume employees prefer this.

Antisocial_Worker
12-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I refuse to attend my company's Christmas parties. I hate those people at work, so what on earth would make anyone think I'd want to spend time with them out of work?

Racket_Man
12-05-2010, 06:52 AM

My current employer is having a pot luck. I'll pass.

the Jewelry company I used to work for (now deceased by 10 years) used to hold a formal company party in the fall at a fairly exclusive Country Club the owners belonged. nice meal and an open bar. MY Ex and I used to pretend it was like the HS prom but with all of the adult type amenities ie. booze, wine, great fresh prepared food, nice music, etc.

most of the other company parties were not really all that interesting.

FArchivist
12-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Earthlink had keg parties? when was this? I worked for them for about 10 minutes once when they took over our local isp and shut our doors.

2001-2002 in the Atlanta call center. It was a holdover from the MindSpring days, who were the majority of people in the call center.

Which ISP was it?

PepperElf
12-05-2010, 10:11 AM
that depends.

i'm not exactly looking forward to the company party next week cos i'll ahve to get a new pair of pants for it but... i guess i'll get paid? i dunno.

but back when i was in the navy i liked them cos hey... it was a treat. and for the holidays it meant christmas prizes. for the big commands it was a handful of big-ticket items. for one of my smaller commands it was smaller items but everyone got something (which i liked better). and the party was hosted away from work so we didn't ahve to clean up.

Mytical
12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I get free food, don't have to deal with anybody at work, and paid overtime on Christmas..what is not to like?

jiarby
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
1999-2004 we used to have 200ish employees across two locations in our town and spent 30-60k for a formal catered hotel dinner, with DJ/Entertainment/Band.

It was like a High School Prom for adults. I never liked going and I am sure that 90% of the people that attended would have rather had the extra $300 in their bonus envelope.

NorthernZel
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I attended the company party yesterday, 'twas very nice. Good food, good entertainment and the party stopped at 2am sharp so those who had got drunk already didn't have the chance of getting totally shit-faced.

It was first time for me to be at such a big company party - other places I've been at were small business or organisations funded by state/city council, so a Xmas party then most often was 10-20 of us making a potluck dinner, and those who wanted to go to a bar afterwards could do that (on our own expense, naturally).

Next week we're gonna have another X-mas company party, though this time it's aimed towards the employees' kids. Lots of cookies and hot cocoa, the kids can make their own xmas tree decorations (we have to bring our own scissors but Company provides paper, glue, pencils and stuff), and Santa has presents for all the kids attending. Now, THAT's a kind gesture.

telecom_goddess
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
2001-2002 in the Atlanta call center. It was a holdover from the MindSpring days, who were the majority of people in the call center.

Which ISP was it?

It was Teleport Internet Services in Portland OR, although technically it was OneMain.com since they took us over first and Earthlink took them over. From what I understand it was some kind of stock manuever. Anyway it took a really cool job and took it away from me....:(

MoonCat
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I co-own a small company. We don't do Christmas parties due to having multiple locations (would be tough to coordinate). We give out Christmas bonuses instead. I assume employees prefer this.

I would, or I should say, I did, although it was never much money, but it was the only check all year that I considered mine to play with.

We gave up the bonus last year as a cost-cutting measure. The managers still got bonuses. :pissed:

ADoyle90815
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The only things I've had were free food and participating in a Secret Santa thing with co-workers. There is extra pay for working on holidays, but things are usually so slow that I haven't been scheduled on a holiday. I haven't worked Thanksgiving since I was working at Mart of K.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
12-06-2010, 10:01 PM
What are these "Christmas parties" of which you speak?

The swamp hasn't had one in nearly ten years.

CrazedClerkthe2nd
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I've never had a formal Christmas party, but for a couple of years us Gamestore employees from local stores have had an informal gathering, usually at a Chinese buffet place, where we just hang out and share SC stories and hang out. They were pretty fun actually, even when a bit of alcohol was involved.

Andara Bledin
12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
We gave up the bonus last year as a cost-cutting measure. The managers still got bonuses. :pissed:
We had a money crunch some half a dozen years back, and the bosslady (also CFO) figured that we either gave up bonuses entirely, or only the managers gave up bonuses. She put it to a vote with the managers, and all but one (the one she knew would dissent) voted to let the rest of us have bonuses that year.

^-.-^

Kristev
12-09-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm amazed. Where did you find a good boss like that?

Andara Bledin
12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Odd chain of events, actually. Before I met him, my now-ex found an ad for a *nix programmer at his college and handed it to a friend of his who got the job. Then several years later, the friend said the place was looking for someone to do data entry (my specialty) who was fast and accurate, so I got the job. :D

Been here over 15 years, and while the pay isn't what it could be, the benefits are competitive with much larger companies but with a small-company feel and sensibility. As long as society doesn't collapse, I suspect I'll be here another 15 years.

^-.-^

computeraide
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
:cry: Apparently they scraped up the money. So I get to not-enjoy another Christmas party this year. That'll be the 7th year in a row we've had to serve the food and do all the cleanup. I wish they would have different departments take turns but it always ends up being mine. :no:

MoonCat
12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
:cry: Apparently they scraped up the money. So I get to not-enjoy another Christmas party this year. That'll be the 7th year in a row we've had to serve the food and do all the cleanup. I wish they would have different departments take turns but it always ends up being mine. :no:

Some catering companies will even do the clean up for you. I don't know if they cost more than ones don't. Might be too late for this year but maybe a thought for next year?

blas
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
We're having one at a bar in a few weeks due to the storm last week ruining that chance, but I won't say yes or no until I am sure at least a couple of coworker pals are going, because I am not wasting the gas to go nearly 30 miles to hang out with people who throw me under the bus all the time.