PDA

View Full Version : I Caved!

Abby_Normal
12-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I said I would never do it but the deal was just too good!

I always said the only MMO I would play was Guild Wars because I don't have to pay a monthly fee to play the game. Then I saw Star Trek Online was at a very reduced cost on Amazon.com for the download version (can't beat $5!) and I figured, "What the heck."

So now I'm playing it with my free 30 days and I'm totally addicted. I can't stop playing. I'm even considering...paying for a regular subscription.

What have I done!

surreal20
12-05-2010, 04:03 AM
ROFL You'll get over it dear. :)

I always thought that i'd be doing GW for the rest of my life. Technicall i am...i'm going to GW2 here as soon as it comes out.

However, I moved on to LOTRO and a few others. You'll be fine. :) I promise. Besides, if it weren't for LOTRO, i would never have met and married my husband. :)

Rapscallion
12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Guild Wars here as well. Hall of Monuments is over 35 at the moment. ELonan Cartography being worked on. Need four more minipets. Some PVP may be in my future.

Rapscallion

Salted Grump
12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
HoM is 31/50 for me, All from One character.

If you ask nicely, I'll PM you my main's name.

Legendary Cartographer, legendary Skill Hunter, yadda yadda yadda. Working on Vanquishing and Legendary Master of the North.

(AIming for GWAMM):D

Fire_on_High
12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Cryptic finally threw all their support behind STO...I haven't heard anything good about CO lately.

Too much, too fast, one of the two was doomed to fail...and by the sounds it's Champions.

Rapscallion
12-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Finished legendary cartographer in the last couple hours. Tomorrow, I start vanquishing. Ten zones in Tyria, ten in Cantha, and a little over half in Elona to do. Need to start hitting PvP to get Z keys to get that title. Just opened a couple of four or five-year presents and got a couple of fairly decently priced minipets, so I should be good for cash.

Heh :D

Currently 37/50 - Rapscallina Muppet for those interested.

Rapscallion

Salted Grump
12-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Eh; what the hell. you can find me either on my 'sin (Karin Strellok) or my ranger (Selena Naryen)

Be warned, I do, on rare occasions (and as a direct side effect of 20 years of D&D) lapse into Roleplaying speak.

53 Tyria zones, 12 missions. 7 cantha zones, 9 missions, 16 Elona zones, 9 missions, 6 Eye of the North zones, 6 Dungeons, Including Slaver's Exile.

telecom_goddess
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Star Trek online? Really? what's it like? I may get into it if it's worth it...

Geek King
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I think Cryptic finally threw all their support behind STO...I haven't heard anything good about CO lately.

Too much, too fast, one of the two was doomed to fail...and by the sounds it's Champions.

Not sure about that. I believe CO is going free-to-play.

Abby_Normal
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Star Trek online? Really? what's it like? I may get into it if it's worth it...

It's addicting. I've only been playing for a few days. There's a demo you can try out for the first few couple missions. From there you can purchase it. I recommend going through Amazon and get the download for $5. I recently discovered the Diplomacy track and started working on that.

As for Guild Wars, anyone searching for me can find me usually as Edeya Umal, my ranger.

Barracuda
12-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Wow, didn't know there were so many GW players on here. I have all the expansions but Eye of the North and two level 20 Ascendeds (and a full up complement of other characters ranging level 9-19) but I gave up playing because owning your own guild that has no one in it kind of is boring, and I don't know people who play.

telecom_goddess
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
It's addicting. I've only been playing for a few days. There's a demo you can try out for the first few couple missions. From there you can purchase it. I recommend going through Amazon and get the download for $5. I recently discovered the Diplomacy track and started working on that.

As for Guild Wars, anyone searching for me can find me usually as Edeya Umal, my ranger.

Is it possible to post the direct link to it..I looked around on Amazon but got confused as to which one you're talking about...

Abby_Normal
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Is it possible to post the direct link to it..I looked around on Amazon but got confused as to which one you're talking about...

Here's the one I downloaded, now $7.27 (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Game-Download/dp/B0044DEPYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291758966&sr=1-1) but still a good deal (you get a free Borg Drone for your ship which isn't mentioned, find it in the C-Store when you download).

And here the digital deluxe version (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Deluxe-Download/dp/B0044DEPZA/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291758966&sr=1-2) with a few more bonus items for $19.99.

Nice to meet a fellow Trekkie on the boards, and I'll even let you blame me for the addiction if you really get into it.

Edit: Oh, and here's the link to the demo (http://www.startrekonline.com/demo).

telecom_goddess
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
awesome thanks and thanks for letting me blame ya too :) hehehe

eta: I looked at the trailer...OMG it looks pretty cool....

Abby_Normal
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
awesome thanks and thanks for letting me blame ya too :) hehehe

eta: I looked at the trailer...OMG it looks pretty cool....

I was going to originally get it when it came out but I wasn't willing to pay the monthly fee. That and I was super busy and barely had time to sleep at that time.

Currently I'm in the past and I just saved the Enterprise from Klingons. It's so much fun to geek out over the little tid-bits of random Trekness from the shows such as random, unexpected characters. Personal favorite, the appearance of Mackenzie Calhoun.

telecom_goddess
12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not exactly sure when I will be able to get into fully but I plan to at some point soon for sure.

I love Star Trek. Which show is your favorite? I love TOS and Enterprise, then TNG, the other two I'm not as familiar with. I have my favorite episodes from TOS and Enterprise too.

Abby_Normal
12-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure when I will be able to get into fully but I plan to at some point soon for sure.

I love Star Trek. Which show is your favorite? I love TOS and Enterprise, then TNG, the other two I'm not as familiar with. I have my favorite episodes from TOS and Enterprise too.

I don't care what others said about it, I liked Voyager. I also enjoyed Enterprise even with all it's faults which I never really got when people complained. I was always just happy to see Star Trek. I wish I had more of the various series on DVD, I keep asking them for Christmas but have yet to make much headway in that department. I never did get much into DS9, for some reason I never was able to catch many episodes. I did grow up on TNG and still really enjoy those episodes.

Have you been to any conventions? I've gone twice and met William Shatner at one of them. I hope to go to more in the future.

terakhan
12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I hate my setup now. My gaming laptop died, taking my chances at playing GW2 with it unless some unexpected money lands in my pocket. Not a die-hard title-grinder in GW1 though. Dedicating most of my time to developing builds and finding new things/ways to farm materials and items.

As for STO, I am in that rut of wanting the game, but not the fee.

Fire_on_High
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Not sure about that. I believe CO is going free-to-play.

They are, but the forced builds posted so far are atrocious...very crippled.

telecom_goddess
12-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't care what others said about it, I liked Voyager. I also enjoyed Enterprise even with all it's faults which I never really got when people complained. I was always just happy to see Star Trek. I wish I had more of the various series on DVD, I keep asking them for Christmas but have yet to make much headway in that department. I never did get much into DS9, for some reason I never was able to catch many episodes. I did grow up on TNG and still really enjoy those episodes.

Have you been to any conventions? I've gone twice and met William Shatner at one of them. I hope to go to more in the future.

Nah I don't do conventions just watch the shows ;) I've watched some Voyager but not much, and no ds9 so far.

When Enterprise first came out I couldn't get into it....the first season wasn't that great. But in the last 6 months or so I"ve gotten into hardcore...I love it. They got better in season 2 and by season 4 rocked.

Salted Grump
12-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Just Mute the theme song for Enterprise, and it suddenly becomes Much Better.

I mean, seriously, 'Faith of the Heart'? What kinda bullshit is that? Do we need Ma-Ti here to call on Captain Planet again?

telecom_goddess
12-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Just Mute the theme song for Enterprise, and it suddenly becomes Much Better.

I mean, seriously, 'Faith of the Heart'? What kinda bullshit is that? Do we need Ma-Ti here to call on Captain Planet again?

Nuh uh I like the theme song.

Salted Grump
12-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Doesn't fit with the other ST themes; Original, NG, Voy, and DS9 all had Orchestral themes.

Enterprise had Twangy McNasal. Bet his next song would be about his pickup truck leaving him and his wife to go and get married to the dog.

dalesys
12-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Doesn't fit with the other ST themes; Original, NG, Voy, and DS9 all had Orchestral themes.

Enterprise had Twangy McNasal. Bet his next song would be about his pickup truck leaving him and his wife to go and get married to the dog.
Woof!

So play it backwards to get it all back.:angel:

telecom_goddess
12-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I know it doesn't fit the other star trek themes...but the show doesn't fit the other shows either it's really different. And the theme song fits.

My favorite episode is the two parter "In a Mirror, Darkly" AWESOME. It relates to TOS episodes Mirror, Mirror and The Tholian Web, and they do an amazing reproduction of the TOS sets....down to the last detail.

Mytical
12-11-2010, 10:10 AM
7 of 9. Good enough reason to like Voyager right there. Though I thought all of the Voyager crew was interesting.

Abby_Normal
12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Enterprise did start off pretty slow but then they got Manny Coto as a producer and the show took a huge leap in quality. Sadly, they canceled it before we could see what he would've done with it. And then we got that really crappy finale, I like to pretend it didn't happen.

telecom_goddess
12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Enterprise did start off pretty slow but then they got Manny Coto as a producer and the show took a huge leap in quality. Sadly, they canceled it before we could see what he would've done with it. And then we got that really crappy finale, I like to pretend it didn't happen.

I liked the finale....and I seem to be the only one who does.