PDA

View Full Version : Hurting my Chances?

Amusement Gal
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
So, I'm seasonal at Eye of the Bull, and I've just finished working four days in a row of being slammed, dealing with a huge ass Christmas party, and then having to go into work again. I get the next two days off. BAM. Someone calls and asks if I want to go in. It's a message, so I don't really have to reply, but to hell with that. I just want at least ONE day of rest that's...y'know, rest.

Told my MIL that, and now she's bitching that I'm not jumping onto it and humping its leg. I'm a seasonal worker, but I'm not their bitch. :rolleyes: Will not taking the FEW requests to come in kill me that much? Because, y'know, I'd love to have a fucking day off today. And I have the feeling they're cutting me off anyway, because next week I only have one day. If that isn't a sign, I don't know what it is.

SourRobot
12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, it is your scheduled day off. If you don't take the extra hours they'll just call someone else and ask them if they can come in.

XCashier
12-28-2010, 05:29 AM
My husband is of the same mindset as your MIL. Gotta take those extra hours, gotta say yes every time you're called in, gotta give all for the company, they're giving you that precious minimum wage. He was always noodging me into accepting those calls and extra hours.

Result? They now call me every damned time someone calls out and try to guilt-trip me into going in. It's ridiculous. I feel guilty if I say no to them, and resentful if I say yes. I suspect they'll try to guilt me into working for them even after my last day.

Dont' feel guilty for taking your scheduled day off. You are a human being, not a robot. You need days off. If you want to work, go ahead and take the call; if not, don't feel you must.

MaseMan
12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
You have to look at it as: It's your option. If you want to work, take the hours. If not, you aren't obligated. It's not like this major corporation will bat an eye if they have to let you go.

PepperElf
12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
it's all about priorities and what you need.

if you need money more than rest then take the hours
but if you need the rest more than the extra pay then keep your day off

there will be some who will tell you that you HAVE to pick the option they'd want but... you know what your own personal needs are better than someone else will

Amusement Gal
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
So just to make my MIL shut the fuck up I took today. :rolleyes: Sort of. Since she's my RIDE, and she's out right now, I might not even make it. So if she yells about that, she can zip her mouth. I already get the, "You should be lucky, so keep quiet and we'll feel important about giving advice!", crap from my parents. Because, y'know, I can't think for myself...