PDA

View Full Version : customers and their questions

candyshopgirl
01-26-2011, 01:41 PM
So I dunno how many of you out there have customers ask questions about your real names? So my real name is April, and I get asked(by customers) at least 10 times a day "where you born in April". I frickin hate that question. I'm usually nice and tell them no, my grandma's birthday is in April. And the customer just stands there looking at me with this stupid look(I call it dead fish,their mouth hanging open) on their face like they cant process the answer. I think that they want me to go into detail with the story and I WILL never go into detail with my personal life with customers.
The real story is my now deceased grandma wanted me named after her when I was born. My mom was smart and said I'm not naming my daughter Blanche Betty. So she named me April when my grandma was born instead. So has this name crap ever happened to any of you.

MaggieTheCat
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Sure, my last name is a common word (I'd rather not say it here) and people are always commenting on it if they know it (like when I go to the dr. office or something.) I don't really mind since I like my last name but there have been times when people teased me about it, especially in elementary school, where it was annoying. And I can see how getting asked ten times a day gets really old really fast, especially when it's a personal story like yours.

RecoveringKinkoid
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I admit I was guilty of doing this once. I asked a customer of mine if she was born in September, something she probably gets a million times a day.

But come on! Her name was September! How many people have that name? It was the coolest fricking name! :lol:

She was not born in September.

I almost named my kid that, I thought it was so cool. And she WAS born in September. :lol:

Treasure
01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I go by Treasure not only online, but in other settings too (the club, RenFaire, etc)- there are some people who do not know me by any other name than Treasure - but I usually get asked, "Is that your real name" by "outsiders" or newbies, - if i answer No - then they think its a "Dancer's name" - at 4'10" 190#, do I LOOK like a "dancer"? B*&%^ please!

and yes, if my mom and I are out, shopping, and get separated, she has paged me by "treasure" - my real name is very common, and she'd get the wrong kid...

blas
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Not by customers, but some tactless people ask me if I have telekenesis and am going to go on a killing spree.

I usually respond "Yes".

My name isn't even spelled that way, what makes you think that's even remotely clever or funny?

Merriweather
01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Sure, my last name is a common word (I'd rather not say it here) and people are always commenting on it if they know it (like when I go to the dr. office or something.) I don't really mind since I like my last name but there have been times when people teased me about it, especially in elementary school, where it was annoying. And I can see how getting asked ten times a day gets really old really fast, especially when it's a personal story like yours.

I sometimes wonder if subconsciously I married my first husband at 18, just for a chance to ditch my original last name, LOL. I took SO much teasing on it growing up, by other children because it's the name of an animal, then much worse in high school as it also has a slang rude, crude and socially unacceptable connotation as well. Sigh. Once I divorced, I just kept his name til I remarried, my excuse was it was easier to keep it and have the same las tname as my daughter.

telecom_goddess
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Not by customers, but some tactless people ask me if I have telekenesis and am going to go on a killing spree.

I usually respond "Yes".

My name isn't even spelled that way, what makes you think that's even remotely clever or funny?

I hear you there it isn't spelled the same and I would never have thought that in reference to you...as much as I love that movie :D

lobo94
01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
My name has some spelling variants, so the worst I've had to deal with was asking how to spell it.

Though on a similar note...for years, I went by the English variant of my name as a nickname. One of the ways my family used to distinguish me from "Lobo Sr". And people always wondered where I got "Wolf" from.

lobo94
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I admit I was guilty of doing this once. I asked a customer of mine if she was born in September, something she probably gets a million times a day.

But come on! Her name was September! How many people have that name? It was the coolest fricking name! :lol:

She was not born in September.

I almost named my kid that, I thought it was so cool. And she WAS born in September. :lol:

I knew a September in high school.

bhskittykatt
01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
I go by "Katt". Everyone asks, "Is that short for Kathryn? Katelyn? Katie?" Or they ask, "Why do you spell it with two T's?" (Answer: spelling is from Starfox 64)

It does get pretty annoying. My nametag says "Katt." Anything further really isn't your business.

chrislb
01-27-2011, 12:29 AM
I have a cousin named April mae. She almost got named Rainy mae but got talked out of it by other family members.

Miss Fatale
01-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Not that I get too many questions, but I usually just lie and say yes, so that I can end the conversation.

"Where you named after X?"

"Yup!"

BlaqueKatt
01-27-2011, 02:59 AM
I usually go by my first name ONLY-but it's a "southern name" and normally has a "second name with it" such as(not my name but close)-"betty jo, betty sue, and is also "short" for another common name-"beth=short for elizabeth"(again not my name)

I always get "is your full name "elizabeth"?
Or
is it "betty jo, or betty sue"

argh no it's just "betty"

My last name.....is a misspelled season(such as "falle"<fall>, hyphenated with a medical equipment brand.....both are misspelled or mispronounced(6 letters-5 letters), usually 6 letters becomes 7 and plural, and 5 letters becomes a nationality. It's not that hard! 2 very common words people!

blas
01-27-2011, 03:49 AM
My name was originally supposed to be Elizabeth, Beth for short.

MoonCat
01-27-2011, 03:52 AM
My first name is the same as a dead president's wife. I lost count of how many times people have asked if I was named after her. The answer is NO!!!! And most of them know how old I am, so you think they'd know the woman wasn't living in the White House the year I was born.

JambaBamba
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
My first name is Suzannah and I have "Oh Susanna" sung to me all the time. It's annoying and no, it's not original. Everyone also misspells my name or calls me Susan or Suzanne or Sue. None of these are my name (Every time someone calls me by the wrong name the Ting Ting's song "That's Not My Name" runs through my head - it keeps the murder rate low :rolleyes:). My last name is also a very common word and a very unique last name. I was teased about it all through school. I got the "Is that really your last name? Really?" too. People can be idiots.

EvilEmpryss
01-27-2011, 07:41 PM
I knew a girl named April. . . because that's the month she was conceived in. TMI.

KellyHabersham
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
The only time I've gotten that sort of thing has been with my last name - it's a fairly common word, but for some reason, people often mishear it and can't pronounce it correctly.

Sapphire Silk
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
So I dunno how many of you out there have customers ask questions about your real names?

I get asked about my middle name, which is a color. They ask if my parents really liked that color.

No. I was named after my great grandmother.

dog_mu
01-28-2011, 05:04 AM
My ex-wife's last name is a common first name, and people sometimes think that's her first name. Plus, it starts with "T", and she has to spell it phonetically to make sure they don't think it starts with a "P".

Marmalady
01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
My name isn't very common over here - it was only a couple of years ago that I ever met someone else with the same name. (It does seem to be gaining in popularity, though).

Apart from being frequently misspelt or mispronounced, the thing I hear time after time after time is 'Oh, you're Superman's girlfriend!'

Yes, hilarious, nobody's ever thought of that line before.... sigh.....

Dasota
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Could be worse. I get asked all sorts of questions.

Were you named after Hitler's wife? (No. Her name is spelled differently)

My Uncle is always asking me why my mother didn't name me Jaja instead. I just tell him that my mother had at least a little bit of class and I wasn't named after her sister anyways.

Anyone remember those 10-10 numbers for calling collect? Or the 1-800-Collect ones? Yeah, middle school sucked cuz of those commercials.

wolfie
01-28-2011, 08:40 PM

I usually respond "Yes".

From other posts, I believe that you're from a state which another poster has described as "the land sobriety forgot". If I'm thinking of the same Stephen King story you are, another joke answer would be "No, but I'm going to smash up a few bars" - there was a radical prohibitionist (in Kansas, I believe) with the same name.

Ayche
01-28-2011, 11:22 PM
My first name is a letter. A single, solitary letter. Whenever I give my name, I have usually hounded by a group of questions. The top five:

1: How do you spell it?
2: Were your parents high?
3: No, really, what's your name?
4: So can I call you (random name starting with that letter)?
5: You going to name your kid (random letter)?

Mycroft
01-29-2011, 12:50 AM
My name is a very common biblical name that is traditionally shortened - it's not David, but assume it is. I don't like - to the point of "refuse to answer to" - Dave "I'm sorry, I thought you were calling someone else. My name is David". I tend to get physically violent when addressed as "Davey". I *never* get David, unless I specifically correct people - and even then it slips.

So, no, you get something else. It's not my name either, but I consider it "me", so that's okay. My last name is another story, and I'm not getting into that - let's just say I can spot a telemarketer immediately :-)

Not by customers, but some tactless people ask me if I have telekenesis and am going to go on a killing spree.My answer would be "no, and yes, if I get that question too many more times. I'm keeping records." And I would SMILE.

simplyanother
01-29-2011, 01:53 AM
My first name is a slightly less common spelling of a common name. Normally, I wear my nametag in such a way that it's not exactly visable (but I'm wearing it, and I'm NOT hiding it, because that's against the rules, and would be in violation of the dresscode...it just somehow ends up being covered), so they don't usually even see my name anymore.

But when they do, either people attempt to make my name way more complicated than it actually is (it's ...just a vowel change, and it's not like it's a weird "my momma made this up" random spelling...). Or they ask me if I'm of German descent, or other randomness, and then proceed to educate me about the origins of my name. Because, I haven't had it for 30+ years, so I am completely ignorant to the origins of my own damned name, being a stupid retail employee and all. @@. Heh, I usually just tell them that my mother couldn't spell.

It's why my kids have names that are spelled the most common way. I was traumatized as a child. I never found a pencil, coffee mug, plastic vanity plate, keychain or anything else with my own name on it, this has scarred me for life. ;) I still can't find anything with my own name on it. I might still be bitter about that...

I know of a woman named September, called Stevie. While I could never use that name, I find that freakin adorable.

MoonCat
01-29-2011, 02:28 AM
I also have a sister named Marcia, which of course means every other idiot starts with the stupid Brady Bunch thing: Marcia! Marcia! Marcia! This is a good way to induce my sister to give you one of these :salmon:

She also had a customer at work look at her name tag and tell her that her name was "spelled wrong." :doh:

EvilEmpryss
01-29-2011, 02:42 AM
She also had a customer at work look at her name tag and tell her that her name was "spelled wrong." :doh:
Meh. I saw "Marcia" and read it "mar-SEE-ah". When I got the the part about the Brady Bunch I had to back up to make sure I was reading it right.

I've always seen it spelled Marsha, but I'd never have the gall to tell someone their name is spelled wrong, even if it is. :p

I tried going by my middle name when I was a kid. I remember the time well. It was 1983, and the movie "V" had just come out. I thought it was awesome!

Unfortunately my middle name is the same as the name of the little girl born half-Visitor, half-human. My grandmother insisted on calling me "Lizard-Breath" and that was the end of going by my middle name. :cry:

Tsiyeria
01-29-2011, 06:55 PM
My first name is the most common female name in the USA. (It sounds like a word that means "jolly" or "happy".) It's spelled in a very straightforward way.

I still get so many people who misspell it. It's four letters! Really? I kinda collect the misspellings now...I'm trying to find unique ones. :)

Also, the children's singsongs about my name? Little lambs and growing gardens, and all that crap? Please. Don't. Do. That. I may have to perform physical violence upon your person. Ditto for biblical references, past queens, and bathroom mirror "spells". Just don't do it.

MoonCat
01-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Actually, you know what the funniest thing is? Over the years, phone customers have gotten my name wrong so many times it's unbelievable. I used to keep a list of the names they thought I said. I stopped when it got to about 34 different names, many of which don't even sound remotely like my actual name. I've been telling my co-workers for years that one of these days I'm going to give my name as "Gwendolyn" or "Hortense" or something, and see how that works...

TonyF
01-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh yes, I get asked and commented about my name, Tony, which is funny because I have one of the most common names out there.

Variants that I've been called:
"T-Bone"
"Tony Baloney"
"Tone Tone"
"T"
"T-Dawg"
"Tony the Tiger" (I like this one a lot!)

I've even had people misread it:
"Troy"
"Toy" (What!?)

I was also asked if I was in the mob. I took it as a compliment. :lol:

Cazzi
01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
My name is a very common biblical name that is traditionally shortened - it's not David, but assume it is. I don't like - to the point of "refuse to answer to" - Dave

My son had problems the other way, his name is the shortened version of another fairly biblical name but he was forever getting it lengthened by teachers & other grown ups, as in David instead of Dave. (again, not his name.)
Was very funny on the way in to primary school when one of his little friends behind us called out "Hi Dave" and was immediately told off by his mother for contracting peoples names. She was a little embarrassed when I mentioned she was telling her son off for nothing ;)

Another primary school name story happened as we're also cursed with one of those awkward last names, sort of along the lines of Dork (it isn't).
Little friend yelled "Hi Dave Dork" & was immediately dragged off by his mother telling him off for being rude & how he should be ashamed of himself. I think I managed to keep a straight face long enough to comment that unfortunately some people were stuck with unfortunate last names :devil:

Somehow I get the feeling he's changing that last name as soon as he hits 18 :lol:

mharbourgirl
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Ok, look. My first name is Teresa. Note the spelling. My great-grandmother was Russian, I'm named after her. There is no French/Norman in my ancestry and my name is NOT spelled 'Theresa/Therese'. Nor is it spelled Tresa, Tracy, Tessa, Treese, or any other bizarre combination you can mangle it into.

You have no idea how surprised I am when someone spells it right. Half my co-workers blindly add an 'H' in there even when they're replying to an email and my name is spelled out in my work sig. It's right THERE in front of you and you can't even spell it right? And YOU have a Ph.D? :headdesk:

Chromatix
01-31-2011, 03:54 AM
On the subject of misheard names, my surname occasionally gets mistyped. When one particular letter gets dropped, it turns into an insult... and usually it's unintentional.

It also gets misspelled by adding a letter, but that's just a regional variant that sounds the same.

wraiths_crono
01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Heh, for me its quite fun, at the work forum I use my online tag (which is the end of my name here and always seems to be a point of entertainment , at work and in reality I use my middle name, always have, its just when someone sees my real first name that they start asking questions, questions questions, like I am hiding from the police or something using my middle name.

Imogene
01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
I intentionally shorten my first name because growing up with THAT as your first name WILL scar you for life... and, when I tell people that the name I go by is a nickname, everyone adds letters to the end, instead of the beginning... my legal name is so uncommon no one ever guesses it.
However, my last name tends to get "Row, row, row your boat" sung at me from people who think they're hilarious. :(
Soon as I move out, I AM getting my name changed legally, from start to end...

JustaCashier
01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
My legal first name is Mike, not Michael.

My older (by three years) Brother's name is Patrick, and Mom wanted "Pat and Mike", I guess in honor of her Irish heritage.

For whatever reason, Dad apparently didn't like the name Michael, so he told as long as it was simply left as Mike, that would be okay.

It hasn't really been a problem, except for the occasional questioning of it when legal name is an important issue.

So, I just explain the story above, and they're like "Okay, no problem!"

Mike

Daemonmonkey
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
My name is a very common biblical name that is traditionally shortened - it's not David, but assume it is. I don't like...

So, your name is Jesus, and people tend to call you Jeez...? :devil: <bfeg>

I have a rather long name, two first names and two last names (a b c d)
I've made a search for two of my names, the ones I'm known usually (a c) on the Internet, and AFAIK I'm the only one named that way...

My first name is a rather unusual russian name, and the second a rather common spanish one. I've lost count of all the times I've received letters spelled wrong, in spite of me spelling it out. And the variations! Imagination is the limit...

I've been spelling out my name, 15 letters, the military way (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie) so often, that now I can spit it out, at the amazing speed of 15 letter in under 4 seconds...

sarasquirrel
02-02-2011, 03:49 AM
my name is Sara...pretty simple :wave:

though, i hate it when the "h" gets added. no h!!!

customers dont know our last names, except the store manager and the rx manager. if they did see my last name, no one would pronounce it right lol, plus they would spell that one wrong too. its not common at all. haha

AyreBiskits
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I never found a pencil, coffee mug, plastic vanity plate, keychain or anything else with my own name on it, this has scarred me for life. ;) I still can't find anything with my own name on it. I might still be bitter about that...

oh i know how that is :lol: my mom added another letter to my name so my grandma would be able to pronounce it. so i've never had the personalized anything. just one damn letter!!! and OMG the ways people have tried to spell it is insane. :lol:

EricKei
02-03-2011, 04:25 PM
My brother was named after a Scottish boat captain that my parents were friends with. His middle name, however (Parke), we have no idea where that came from >_<

My name is Eric, and I got that because...well...It's an awesome name ^_^ Who wouldn't want it? ;)

Our last name gets mangled fairly often, tho. It starts with K, and using that as a spoken abbreviation is what lead to my using the handle that I have been using for over fifteen years now. Far be it from me to pass up the opportunity to immortalize a bad pun :) It's still reasonably unique, as the internet goes ~ I found out years later that a Chinese soccer player has that as his actual name (or, at least, as a "stage name"). Unfortunately, I'm no athlete x.x