PDA

View Full Version : So much for privacy of information

Ghel
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
This is on the credit reports we get from one of the three major credit bureaus. At the top of the page, the customer's social security number is truncated to four digits. About two inches down the page, the social security number is repeated again, in its entirety. What's the point of truncating it? :confused:

Andara Bledin
01-28-2011, 09:42 PM
The top is likely information for filing and sorting purposes while the information below that is the actual detail of the report, which would have as much as they can gather and legally share.

^-.-^

bainsidhe
01-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Once went to Home Depot and bought a few little doodads. The receipt prints out, and the cashier takes a black marker and crosses out some info on the top of the receipt. Puzzled, I ask her why she did that. Apparently a computer glitch was printing out the cashier's SSN# on every single receipt. :eek: Supposedly management was "working on a solution". Mmmhmmm.

Kristev
01-29-2011, 08:22 AM
That's terrible! I don't want that on my receipts I don't even feel comfortable saying it!

Imogene
01-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Apparently a computer glitch was printing out the cashier's SSN# on every single receipt
That's a hell of a glitch... why would there be a record of her SSN on the register anyway?

flyingember
01-31-2011, 05:12 PM
don't worry, all you need is the last 4 numbers to confirm you're someone at many places these days

KellyHabersham
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
don't worry, all you need is the last 4 numbers to confirm you're someone at many places these days

True that is - my Internet service is under my mom's name, and if I want to make a payment over the phone, I have to give the last digits of her social security number to "prove" identity.

MadMike
01-31-2011, 06:26 PM
One of my first programming assignments at my job was to fix one of the letter writer programs so that it printed the customer SSN on a different part of the page. Where they had it before, it was right about the address, and sometimes showed thru the window on the envelope.

Kaylyn
01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Unfortunately, even the last 4 can be too much information. The first five numbers are based on when and where you were born, so if they have that information and the last 4 digits, they can figure out the rest of your social security number.