PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Make Someone a Great Wife Someday!

Jester
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Seriously. I don't know if this is a sign of my age, but I woke up today, Saturday, a day off for me, excited about one thing more than any other: today I would be making my very first meat loaf!

Yes, this is how I, Mr. Party Animal, a Minister of Perpetual Consumption for Beer Church, is spending his weekend. Exciting, no?

I tell ya, once I find a woman willing to wash the dishes, I'll marry her! :lol:

In other news, another sign of my advancing age is that, as I was coming back to my apartment from tossing the trash, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a hot chick in a bikini at the pool. And just as I was thinking, "Wow, who's the little hottie?" I realized exactly who she was: my 20 year old niece! :doh:

Reminded me of the local musician who tells a similar story. One day, when he was playing a set on stage at a local bar, he noticed a hot little number in cutoffs and a bikini top. Enjoying the view, he was pleased to see she was coming to the stage, as he figured to make a request or tip him. Until she said the last two words he expected from her: "Hi, Grandpa!" It had apparently been a bit of time since last he had seen this particular grandchild of his. :lol:

Mikkel
02-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Mmm, meatloaf. I think I'll make meatloaf one of these days. If you find a good variation, would you share it?

BookstoreEscapee
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't like doing dishes but I'll do them if I have to. :p

Jester
02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I should have said WILLING to do the dishes. :lol:

So my first recipe goes something like this: equal parts ground veal, ground pork, and ground beef, some bread crumbs and eggs, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and other spices, and some fresh herbs, wrapped in maple bacon, basted with barbecue sauce, and sprinkled with brown sugar. Currently getting happy in the oven.

Taking longer to cook than I expected, though. I have coworkers to feed, damn it!

TheSHAD0W
02-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I recommend you watch Tako the Octopus on "How to make meatloaf" (http://8legged.com/DeepFriedLive/DFL01_05.html).

(Beware if you don't like spiders.)

monolayth
02-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I usually add a bit of dijon mustard to the mix.

MoonCat
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds good, Jester! I love meatloaf....there are so many different ways to make it that you can't get bored with it.

One of my favorite ones is where you put mashed potatoes on top (just spread them on like frosting) and put it back in the over for a while to brown a little.

blas
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Jester, don't feel too bad about the niece situation. One of my uncles once made a comment about how I was definetly getting chesty like my mother, right in front of my father, and that is probably one of the only times I've ever seen my dad look like he wanted to kill a man.

Becks
02-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm willing to wash dishes! :wave:

BookstoreEscapee
02-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I recommend you watch Tako the Octopus on "How to make meatloaf" (http://8legged.com/DeepFriedLive/DFL01_05.html).

(Beware if you don't like spiders.)

Uh....not clicking.

I'll admit, I'm picky about meatloaf. I like my mom's but don't particularly like my dad's. It's the same recipe but my dad makes it wetter and my mom uses more bread crumbs so it's drier.

Jester
02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
The loaf came out quite nice, and my staff was, for the most part, impressed.

Not to say there aren't improvements to be made. My next time, I definitely plan on seasoning and spicing more, and adjusting the glaze somewhat.

Seen him before, though not that episode. Hilarious!

I usually add a bit of dijon mustard to the mix.

I considered that (and many other potential ingredients), but in the end went in a different direction.

One of my favorite ones is where you put mashed potatoes on top (just spread them on like frosting) and put it back in the over for a while to brown a little.

Ah, yes. Shepherd's Pie!

(Yes, I know that there is more to Shepherd's Pie than that. Hush. I was being clever.)

I'm willing to wash dishes! :wave:

Did I mention that I live in the tropics? :D (And no, I'm not moving up north. I do NOT do winter. When I leave Key West, it will be to head back to the desert, aka Phoenix.)

Greenday
02-06-2011, 07:38 AM
I read the title more as "I'm Gonna Make a Great Wife for Someone Someday". Glad I read that wrong.

Jester
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
What's the difference? Basically what I was saying.

Rantsylvania 6-5000
02-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I tell ya, once I find a woman willing to wash the dishes, I'll marry her! :lol:

Hey, if you'll do the cooking, I'll do the cleaning! :lol:

When I leave Key West, it will be to head back to the desert, aka Phoenix.)

But I'll wait until you get to Phoenix...Florida's too muggy! :lol:

As for that part about your niece...oh dear!

Jester
02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Key West is not nearly as muggy as the mainland, such as Miami.

Just saying.

telecom_goddess
02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I should have said WILLING to do the dishes. :lol:

So my first recipe goes something like this: equal parts ground veal, ground pork, and ground beef, some bread crumbs and eggs, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and other spices, and some fresh herbs, wrapped in maple bacon, basted with barbecue sauce, and sprinkled with brown sugar. Currently getting happy in the oven.

Taking longer to cook than I expected, though. I have coworkers to feed, damn it!

Oooh I like this....I'd have to substitute some things to cut down the sugar content though.

jedimaster91
02-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Li'l Sis makes an amazing meatloaf with applesauce instead of breadcrumbs. Om nom.

Jester
02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Oooh I like this....I'd have to substitute some things to cut down the sugar content though.

Yeah, it was a little sweet....probably the combination of maple bacon, hicory and brown sugar barbecue sauce, and brown sugar was a bit much to top it with, especially with the lack of spicy counterpunch for balance.

Meat Loaf 2.0 will be better, though!

Cazzi
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I will await the verdict on number 2 with anticipation!

Sometime in the next week or so I shall be attempting one using quinoa instead of breadcrumbs. The recipe I found looks good, but I think the test will be in the tasting there ;)

AccountingDrone
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I will await the verdict on number 2 with anticipation!

Sometime in the next week or so I shall be attempting one using quinoa instead of breadcrumbs. The recipe I found looks good, but I think the test will be in the tasting there ;)

If you decide you don't like the quinoa, try teff.

MoonCat
02-07-2011, 01:40 AM
BTW Jester....they do make dishwashers, ya know. And paper plates.

What?!

Becks
02-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Did I mention that I live in the tropics? :D (And no, I'm not moving up north. I do NOT do winter. When I leave Key West, it will be to head back to the desert, aka Phoenix.)

I don't do winter, either. I just do my best not to go outside unless I have to...unless it's a balmy 20 degrees outside. :lol:

Also, to be fair...I also don't do summer. Too Irish/Danish/German for that.

Jester
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
BTW Jester....they do make dishwashers, ya know. And paper plates.

Yes they do. But you can't cook on paper plates. Nor can you transport a big juicy meat loaf across town in a paper plate. Well, not without making a big mess of your truck. Which I was not willing to do.

As for the dishwasher, I have one. But you cannot stick the mess that I had in a dishwasher and expect to get it cleaned. I had to clean up the pan and the tupperware before they were even ready to get into the dishwasher.

I know, it seems silly to have to clean something before you clean it. But that's just the way it is.

I don't do winter, either. I just do my best not to go outside unless I have to...unless it's a balmy 20 degrees outside.

20 degrees? Brrr! :eek:

You would LOVE Phoenix.... :lol:

Treasure
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Your version sounds pretty good actually, cause normally the only Meatloaf i like is the one i can play on the stereo.

Becks
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
20 degrees? Brrr! :eek:

Considering it has been known to be much colder than that, I'll take 20+ degree temps in winter.

You would LOVE Phoenix.... :lol:

I'd have a better chance of seeing spring training games...

AccountingDrone
02-07-2011, 06:10 PM
We did a turkey meatloaf, which came out nicely. It isn't quite low fat, commercially ground turkey they grind pretty much everything except the bone so it has all the fat on the skin and attached to the meat.

But it is quite lovely as beastloaf. We have one of the meatloaf loaf pans that is double, the insert has little holes to help the fats drain out.

Though I admit I have been craving a proper pate de parisienne lately.:o

draggar
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Jester in his youth (1:10)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QkwDld1d4
:D

MoonCat
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
When I look out the window right now, I'm quite willing to trade snow for muggy hot OR dry hot. Meatloaf or not.

Mmmm, but now I want meatloaf....

Jester
02-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Your version sounds pretty good actually, cause normally the only Meatloaf i like is the one i can play on the stereo.

Bat Out of Hell--one of the greatest albums EVER. :super:

Considering it has been known to be much colder than that, I'll take 20+ degree temps in winter.

Considering I don't live in places where 20 degrees is considered warm, even in winter......

I'd have a better chance of seeing spring training games...

Yes. Yes you would.

We have one of the meatloaf loaf pans that is double, the insert has little holes to help the fats drain out.

Tako (the Octopus Chef) reminds us that loaf pans are great--for bread. For meat loaf, they are really not needed.

Jester in his youth (1:10)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QkwDld1d4

A few things:

1. Bite me.
2. How did I miss this movie? Looks totally like my kind of flick!
3. Or was it really lame, and so went straight to video as everyone rightly ignored it?
4. Bite me.
5. I may not be the best-looking guy, but even when I had long hair, I was not mistaken for a woman. The (usually present though currently absent) goatee and the (always present) deep baritone voice see to that.
6. Bite me.

:lol:

Becks
02-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Considering I don't live in places where 20 degrees is considered warm, even in winter......

To be honest, I became a wuss when I lived in NJ. Anything below 40 was horrid.

Yes. Yes you would.

I've always wanted to see some spring training games.

jnd4rusty
02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Meatloaf made with Stovetop stuffing is pretty tasty. You don't really need any more seasonings because the stuffing has plenty.

Jester
02-08-2011, 06:10 AM
To be honest, I became a wuss when I lived in NJ. Anything below 40 was horrid.

Heh. To me anything below 70 is chilly, anything below 60 is COLD.

I've always wanted to see some spring training games.

They're fun. And since they're in Florida and Arizona, I can see them wherever I live. Though to be fair, they were easier for me to get to when I lived in Arizona, since there were several teams training right around me, whereas there are no teams that train in Key West, and the closest one is at least a several hour drive.

Meatloaf made with Stovetop stuffing is pretty tasty. You don't really need any more seasonings because the stuffing has plenty.

I have no doubt that it would be excellent, but I prefer to season my meat loaf (and in general my food) myself, with fresh herbs when possible. (I've even been known to make my own seasoning blends.) For example, in Saturday's first draft meat loaf, I used kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, fresh garlic, fresh white onion, fresh thyme, fresh sage, and fresh rosemary, plus chipotle powder and cayenne pepper powder.

By the way, for people trying to watch their carbs, stuffing-laced meat loaf would be bad.

Becks
02-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Heh. To me anything below 70 is chilly, anything below 60 is COLD.

Wuss. :lol:

They're fun.

So I've heard.

Jester
02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
To me anything below 70 is chilly, anything below 60 is COLD.Wuss.

When it comes to cold? Yes.

Then again, come out to Phoenix some summer and go bicycling with me in 110+, we'll see who's a wuss. :lol:

jedimaster91
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
That 110+ is a dry heat, though, right? I'll see your 110+ dry heat and raise you 98 with 98% humidity. :p

Jester
02-11-2011, 05:29 AM
That 110+ is a dry heat, though, right? I'll see your 110+ dry heat and raise you 98 with 98% humidity. :p

Yes, it's a dry heat. And technically, so's an oven.

draggar
02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
A few things:

1. Bite me.
2. How did I miss this movie? Looks totally like my kind of flick!
3. Or was it really lame, and so went straight to video as everyone rightly ignored it?
4. Bite me.
5. I may not be the best-looking guy, but even when I had long hair, I was not mistaken for a woman. The (usually present though currently absent) goatee and the (always present) deep baritone voice see to that.
6. Bite me.

:)

The movie was OK - not the greatest. If it's on TV or you're bored and nothing else is on, it's OK. I linked it because I thought that's what you were referencing in the subject. :D

Jester
02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I linked it because I thought that's what you were referencing in the subject.

Nope. Was just making a joke. I had no prior knowledge of that scene or that movie.

Becks
02-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Then again, come out to Phoenix some summer and go bicycling with me in 110+, we'll see who's a wuss. :lol:

I'm a wuss!!

I haven't been on a real bike since the day I was on one, the bike stopped and I didn't--I still have the scars!

And, as it is well documented that you don't like the cold, it's almost as well documented that sun, heat and I don't get along. :lol:

Bella_Vixen
02-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm a wuss!!

I haven't been on a real bike since the day I was on one, the bike stopped and I didn't--I still have the scars!

And pictorial proof...somewhere. We MUST find the pics of you and Scott Karl with matching hand wraps!

Jester
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
And, as it is well documented that you don't like the cold, it's almost as well documented that sun, heat and I don't get along.

Well there goes the wedding! :lol:

Becks
02-13-2011, 02:20 AM
And pictorial proof...somewhere. We MUST find the pics of you and Scott Karl with matching hand wraps!

I think the picture is around here somewhere.

Well there goes the wedding! :lol:

Darn.

Still wanna be in the male harem?

Jester
02-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Still wanna be in the male harem?

As long as it involves sex, sure!

What?!? A., I'm a guy. B., it's a harem. That's their purpose! :lol:

Becks
02-15-2011, 01:34 AM

I fully agree with the above statements.

dalesys
02-15-2011, 02:33 AM
As long as it involves sex, sure!

Depends. You don't want to be the harem guard, do you?

That also involves sex... the absence thereof.

Becks
02-15-2011, 02:38 AM

Oddly enough, I trust my male harem.

Maybe I shouldn't.

Jester
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Since harem guards were generally eunuchs, and being a eunuch involves parting with some things I have grown rather attached to over the years, I can pretty much safely say HELL NO!!!