PDA

View Full Version : A very much WTF ID moment...

fireheart
02-15-2011, 01:20 AM
So this is a list of what we have had to ID for (past and present):

-Food colouring.
-Vanilla essence. (both due to the alcohol content)
-Certain DVDs (restricted ratings in Australia are MA and R-MA can only be sold to those over 15 without an adult, under 15 you NEED an adult, R is pretty much 18+, in the past it wasn't enforced, now it is)
-Birrel beer (non-alcoholic beer, yet we don't ID for the brewery kits)
And the one that gets me a huge WTF is:

-Various knives.

We sell this set of cutlery that folds into a box. Basically a knife, fork, spoon and chopstick set, which consist of a handle and the attachments described. THAT has been getting ID'd lately, along with our steak knives and our cutlery knives.

YET....whenever I go to ID our cheap crappy plastic knives, there's no ID prompt.

What are some other weird things you've had to ID for?

RecoveringKinkoid
02-15-2011, 01:29 AM
I've been ID'd for trying to buy a bicycle tire pump and non-alcoholic beer. I witnessed Kmart trying to card a ninety year old man over a can of spray paint.

Frantic Freddie
02-15-2011, 01:34 AM
That's just damn weird or dumb RK

RecoveringKinkoid
02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
It's a dumb store.

Last time I was in there, I decided that would be the last time I was in there.

KellyHabersham
02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I was ID'd not too long ago when buying Day-Quil.......it's not a medicine I normally buy, and there was no sign on the shelves indicating that you had to show I.D. to purchase it, so I was a bit surprised when the SCO machine prompted me to show my card to the attendant.

MoonCat
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I was ID'd not too long ago when buying Day-Quil.......it's not a medicine I normally buy, and there was no sign on the shelves indicating that you had to show I.D. to purchase it, so I was a bit surprised when the SCO machine prompted me to show my card to the attendant.

I believe there's alcohol in that stuff, but you'd have to buy an awful lot to get a buzz from it, I'd think.

Dreamstalker
02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I've been ID'ed for:

An "E" rated puzzle game. This was at a warehouse-club store and the age prompt that came up seemed to be for alcohol. Cashier was more confused than I was.

Sharpies (allegedly to combat graffiti). Interestingly across the river they don't card.

2600 magazine (wtf?)

DeltaSierra
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Food colouring???? Why would anybody need to be carded for that?

dalesys
02-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Food colouring???? Why would anybody need to be carded for that?
A Legis-cretin got pranked, and panicked at pissing rainbows.:p

KellyHabersham
02-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I believe there's alcohol in that stuff, but you'd have to buy an awful lot to get a buzz from it, I'd think.

Well, where it would've gotten awkward for me is that I didn't have my I.D. on me.......the attendant was cool about it when I explained that I'd not realized I'd need show one to purchase that stuff.

42_42_42
02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I've had cashiers want to card me when buying sparkling grape juice before (basically carbonated juice), but not because the system prompted them, just because they saw "wine shaped bottle" and didn't look at the label.

terakhan
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Sharpies (allegedly to combat graffiti). Interestingly across the river they don't card.

In actuality, this was most likely due to the chemicals in the ink. I know I get feeling weird in the head around the fumes from one of those permanent markers. Some morons are probably buying them by the box as a cheap high.

mharbourgirl
02-20-2011, 05:12 PM
In actuality, this was most likely due to the chemicals in the ink. I know I get feeling weird in the head around the fumes from one of those permanent markers. Some morons are probably buying them by the box as a cheap high.

*sigh* They are. Our receptionist orders all office supplies, because the last time she ran over to Staples to get fine-tip Sharpies (they're practically next door, sometimes it's easier if you just need one thing immediately), they ID'd her. Ok, she's little and cute but she IS over 50 and doesn't really look even close to questionably underage. :rolleyes:

KabeRinnaul
02-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Most cough suppressants contain a chemical called Dextromethorphan. In higher doses it's hallucinogenic and has become a bit of a party drug due to that, I'm told mixed into other drinks. There's an 18+ restriction on it in most states.

Racket_Man
02-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Most cough suppressants contain a chemical called Dextromethorphan. In higher doses it's hallucinogenic and has become a bit of a party drug due to that, I'm told mixed into other drinks. There's an 18+ restriction on it in most states.

this and I believe that Ni-Quil has like 25% alcohol in it (at least it used to).

Mytical
02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok it was a computer glitch, but I have had "Show ID" come up for Crayons. I am good at causing glitches. :D

Geek King
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Heh, I had the lady at the checkout want to ID me for Spretcher's Root Beer the other day. Now, to be fair, Spretchers also brews several beers--their sodas are a (tasty!) bit of sideline.

I also got pulled over by a cop for drinking an I.B.C. Root Beer while driving through town once. If you're not familiar with the product, it comes in a dark brown bottle, like many beers. The cop and I both had a chuckle over that. :lol:

jedimaster91
02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
I also got pulled over by a cop for drinking an I.B.C. Root Beer while driving through town once. If you're not familiar with the product, it comes in a dark brown bottle, like many beers. The cop and I both had a chuckle over that. :lol:

IBC is my favorite root beer. I've often had that weird daydream of getting pulled over for having an open container in my cup holder. Of course, snarky imaginary Jedi would offer the hunky officer a sip just to prove it was soda. :lol:

Becks
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
When I was cashiering at the former place of employment, one of the tiny little Ben & Jerry's flavors was mis-entered into the system so I'd be prompted to ask for ID.

Apparently, the internal codes for ice cream and smokey treats are (were?) remarkably similar.

surreal20
02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
The day-quil and niquil stuff are all because of them being able to be turned into Meth.

I lived in Parkersburg, West Virginia for all my life, and there was a while there that nearly every week police were busting Meth labs. They aren't so bad NOW, but i remember back then, there was a certain amount you could buy and had to be ID'd. After i think 3-4, you couldn't get anymore. Yea, i know...who would buy that many?

Maybe there were 5-7 people living in a house that was really sick. (i've seen it, so it's a valid excuse) But normally, you don't need to buy more than 2 (because they come in a pack of 2 sometimes)

taxguykarl
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
The day-quil and niquil stuff are all because of them being able to be turned into Meth. I've been carded for other cold remedies containing pseudophenadrine.

In a goofier situation, I was carded for some salty snack foods and bottled ice tea that I bought a (per their sign) 'liquor and food' store.

Dreamstalker
02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I got carded for Virgil's Root Beer when it first came out; it was stocked across from the beer and came in brown bottles with swing-caps (plastic and heavy wire), similar to another beer at the time. Cashier asks for ID, shift manager overhears:

SM (to cashier): *handwave* "This is not the product you are looking for."

Gizmo
02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Non Alcoholic Wine & Beer - asking management resulted in being told that because it was brewed or fermented it still classed as alcohol even after the alcohol was removed.

Liquer chocolates - actually kind of sensible.

A candle for a birthday cake

Crackers. (but only one brand out of several we were selling at the time).

EricKei
02-25-2011, 03:04 PM
2600 magazine (wtf?)
But of course -- they need your name on The List, as anybody buying that mag is obviously a hard-c0r3 H4X0R...>_>

laborcat
02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Heh, I had the lady at the checkout want to ID me for Spretcher's Root Beer the other day. Now, to be fair, Spretchers also brews several beers--their sodas are a (tasty!) bit of sideline.

Sounds like you were in my part of town. That is funny though.

Dreamstalker
02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
But of course -- they need your name on The List, as anybody buying that mag is obviously a hard-c0r3 H4X0R...>_>
Ironically, the few times I have been ID'ed for it, the magazine then came up in the computer as a generic periodical (so there was no way for anyone to know what I bought).

mharbourgirl
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Apparently, the internal codes for ice cream and smokey treats are (were?) remarkably similar.

It took me a minute to get that one. I was trying to figure out why in the blue hells anyone would need ID to buy beef jerky. :o

Becks
02-27-2011, 06:53 AM
It took me a minute to get that one. I was trying to figure out why in the blue hells anyone would need ID to buy beef jerky. :o

All depends on how the system is set up. :lol: